• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learning to use Mario's fludd 101

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip

Welcome to the guide of Mario's fludd.....

I'll try my best to help you fellow plumbers on how to use the fludd effectively.
What keep most mario mains from reaching their full potential is learning to use fludd.
This isn't 2008 anymore guys, fludd is good for many things, like spacing, FIHL,
defense and edge-guarding.

So with that said, I'll breakdown every fludd tactical move I've learn so far.

Fludd cancel/buffer: Fludd buffering during every match is a must for mario, charge it up
little-by-little.

How to perform fludd buffering: Just simply fludd and shield to cancel.

Video Example: (Click here to watch) If you watch how Flameleon does it at 0:05 and again at 0:08
You can also do it just how he did it, if you like to be flashly. xD

Fludd ledge cancel attack: When your opponent is on the ledge, use the fludd. Chances are he'll
try to attack you if you're close enough to him which will push him off the ledge, setting you up for
an edge-guarding k.o.

Video Example:(Click here to watch) If you watch at 2:56, Flameleon quickly pulls out his
fludd canceling Vato's ledge attack, which puts Vato_Break in a bad situation.

Fludd KO: Fludd ko is when an opponent is on stage performing a certain move and
you push him over the ledge with your fludd. This move can result in your opponet
either losing all their jumps or the opponent being too laggy to recover.

Video Example: (Click here to watch) This video will show you how it's done. Big thanks to Fire!
for making the video.

FIHL (Fludd induced hit lag): FIHL is a move where you can use your fludd to slow down
your opponent's aerial approach making him/her lag on one frame.

Let's take Marth as an example. Marth has only two approaching aerial moves,
which is Fair & Nair, use your fludd to stop Marth dead in his tracks, then counter attack.

Video Example: (Click here to watch) Start watching from 1:07, It'll breakdown full examples.

Fludd Recovery: Fludd recovery is a situational move, yet risky. This move will take some time to
practice in order to get good at.

"If you are not willing to risk the unusual, you will have to settle for the ordinary"

Video Example: (Click here to watch) Start watching the video at 3:49, ED will show you how it's done.

Remember, fludd is a gimping tool that can mess up your opponent's momentum and camping.

I highly recommend you guys to watch this fludd guide by Vato_Break, it's good! (Click here to watch)

Last edited:

TMario

Smash Apprentice
FLUDD as an air attack. Just something I'm tryin and honestly, not too bad. I feel my opponents more expect FLUDD as an edge guard technique rather than a method to get them off the stage. I'll usually try it if they've used both jumps on stage, FLUDD em off stage so they're only left with Up+B.

It's not often that I get a stock from this, but when it happens, it usually gives me enough of a lead or enough for me to catch up.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Yes, Tmario. Most people expect mario's fludd to be only an edge guarding tech when the
mario player gets them into an edge-guarding situation.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me, broskie.

:pow:

TMario

Smash Apprentice
No questions for now. Just saying to other Marios that FLUDD can be an OFFENSIVE move too. Don't be afraid to use it. :)

TMario

Smash Apprentice
Maybe I said it in the social board? Eh, I'll repeat it here.

Ideally, FLUDD is used to keep the opponent away defensively (edge guarding, spacing, FIHL)

What I mean by "offensive" is... in a match, you try to get the opponent offstage (juggles, smash attacks, throws).
Basically, why not FLUDD?

Rather than use FLUDD to push away from you, use it to push the opponent offstage just as you would with an attack.
That's basically what I mean by "offensive". Instead of "FLUDD to protect yourself, FLUDD to kill the opponent".

Seriously, Boss's kill right here changed my FLUDD game. I've gotten it a few times myself, against a Falco and Wolf . Usually hits with an element of surprise, like they dont expect FLUDD to push so far back.
http://youtu.be/MawpLoczPOw?t=1m40s

Other than that, I really dont have much else to add for FLUDD. I'm looking forward to stuff anyone else has to add.

Cezz624

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cezz624
3DS FC
2964-9447-5535
Does anybody know if shooting water at an angle with Mario's FLUDD provides any benefit? Does it work in such a matter as angling Mario's F-Smash and F-Tilt?

TMario

Smash Apprentice
Hmm... I think angling it up is better for stalling and going for FIHL, but if you're trying to push the away or off stage, straight sideways is the way to go. I think. And I hardly ever angle FLUDD down.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Does anybody know if shooting water at an angle with Mario's FLUDD provides any benefit? Does it work in such a matter as angling Mario's F-Smash and F-Tilt?
I don't think shooting water (fludd) at an angle would benefit mario at all.

TMario

Smash Apprentice
I don't think shooting water (fludd) at an angle would benefit mario at all.

You really dont think so? I mean, if I was grounded and FLUDDing the opponent's SH-attack at an upward angle, it usually keeps them in place midair rather than push them away. Usually leads to FIHL with me just enough time to U-tilt, U-smash, or turn around B-air. (Mostly B-air against Lucario cuz those guys habitually resort to their D-air after FIHL)

But then again, that's just me. Compared to all you old folks, I'm still a newer guy around here.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Hey Coolwhip what kind of characters are affected most by fludd
Falco, Fox, Snake, Eathbound kids.

Use it to change their side-b trajectory into an upward diagonal angle, then you can either follow up with a usmash for punish, or if they're close enough to the edge, just cape them.

Against snake, just FLUDD him when hes using C4 to recover.

Against Ness and Lucas, douse their PK-Ts

Honestly, the hardest part to using FLUDD is to actually use it. You may thinking 'why would I FLUDD when I can just fireball or something for extra damage?', just do it. It messes up people's spacing, and puts them in weird situations that they're not use to, which you can sometimes take advantage of. The most you use it, the more you'll see what it actually does.

A lot of the time, it'll just end up pushing the opponent back and resetting position, but at least it allows for the opportunity for something weird to happen that you can take advantage of.

TMario

Smash Apprentice
Doesn't it also push Charizard away more than any other character too? And then less for Ivysaur?

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Link is also most affected by the fludd, basically shutting down every projectile & aerial move of his.

Jux answer the question very well.

@Tmario: Pretty much like marth when they try to recover low, aiming the fludd downward.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
What about TL and wolf
on TL I wouldn't even bother unless hes offstage. Pushing him away from you only works for his benefit since it just makes it easier for him to camp.

As for Wolf, I'm pretty sure his side B just goes right through it. In just about any scenario where you can FLUDD his upb, you can probably just cape it instead. His lasers go right through it, and his shine negates it completely. It really sucks against Wolf.

TMario

Smash Apprentice
As for Wolf, I'm pretty sure his side B just goes right through it. In just about any scenario where you can FLUDD his upb, you can probably just cape it instead. His lasers go right through it, and his shine negates it completely. It really sucks against Wolf.
You know, I do have some Wolf exp, but in those matches, I realize I never really use FLUDD. Huh. I feel like that's something I always knew innately but now just realized after being it explained. Nice.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Fluud doesn't do much against wolf tbh. It'll only lag his f-air, b-air & f-smash.

Jux is right about TL, since he's a floatly character like samus & lucario for starters.
Toonlink's projectiles still can get cancelled by mario's fludd.

TMario

Smash Apprentice
I was fighting a Wolf earlier this week, trying out FLUDD a lot more than usual just to see for myself. Only work out once in my favor, FIHL Wolf's F-air, went in for the stock. Other than that... yeah... not that great against Wolf.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
I love people's reactions when I use it. FLUDD is godly in low tiers and against slow characters

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Another example of a surprise FLUDD KO
http://youtu.be/7QSIXULMQSM?t=2m22s
My mario was trash back then. lol
I can say my maryo skillz has = flameleon's skillz now.

I was shocked on how i killed dante without using a finger. xD

There are other marios out there with great fludd skills.....
Like flame, kirin, vato, mp8 & bo_x7. Can't think up more names atm.

TMario

Smash Apprentice
Haha, Im just saying, that was an unexpected use of FLUDD. Great surprise got you the stock. It's a good example to learn from.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
I know what you're saying by using the video as an example.
I pretty much met by my overall skillz back in 2010, which was a long time ago for me.

Thanks for posting that video btw.

Teb (TheEliteBrawler) is also good with using the fludd.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I was hoping they'd replace it with the galaxy tornado in the new one. But, alas no. Mario has the worst Special attacks in Brawl in my opinion. I almost never use him.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Mario's smash attacks are pretty good actually. His upsmash is amazing, and has invincibility, and his fsmash has more range than any other smash attack in the game.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
What the french toast did i just read?

As an

He has a fireball with not very long distance that barely makes you flinch and does like 5% damage

A cape that reflects things or turns stuff around

and F.L.U.D.D. who pushes you ever so slightly where as just hitting with a normal attack would push you further, possibly out of bounds

But, his Normal attacks kind of make up for it.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
I wanna keep this thread relevant as possible. We don't need to discuss how bad/limited
mario is, we already accept his ability & where he ranks in the tier-list.

"F.L.U.U.D who" fludd isn't a person by the way. *which

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
What? Nobody is making any sense in this thread anymore, wtf?

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.
But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate, we can not consecrate, we can not hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

BSP

Smash Legend
I rarely angle FLUDD downwards, but I do angle it upwards after I've hit someone with the inital sideways stream of water. I'm sure you've noticed that when the water hits your opponents, it pushes them more upwards than any other direction: that's why I start aiming it more upwards once it has started since the water is more likely to connect. The opponent getting more vertical height isn't that big of a deal since it just sets Mario up for an easier cape.

Top Bottom