• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learn how to slow fall dair

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
Just hold gently down (like you're trying to platform drop in shield or tilt your shield down) and press a.

It gives falco the ability to spike people off stage without suiciding or double jumping.

For example if diddy is using his up b its possible to time a slow fall dair and spiking him out of it. The dair hitbox also prevents the barrels from blowing up on falco.

Basically as long as you have your double jump (to use after the dair) you can use the slow fall spike almost anywhere and recover. Additionally it gives you the option to use it as a punish and back off without commiting (which is very useful when edge guarding marth).

Characters this is good against (off the top of my head)

Diddykong
Marth
G&W
Olimar (you can jump super far to get him now lol)
Snake(if you use it right you can spike him super far without risk of dying, although his cipher already let us do that lol)
D3
Donkey kong
bowser
ness
lucas

probably more.

The most important thing to know about it is slow fall dair is best used as a punish, if you're not going to be able to hit with it just back off (which you still have the option of doing safely with your DJ and side b.

shout outs to DEHF for the idea.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Why do threads keep getting made ?

Just short hop and hold down before you reach the pinnacle of your jump, and keeping holding it and press A.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
Why do threads keep getting made ?

Just short hop and hold down before you reach the pinnacle of your jump, and keeping holding it and press A.
You can't run off the stage and dair someone with your suggestion.

for example diddy if I see him up bing I can run off slow fall dair. Your method involves jumping, which isn't neccassary.

It it possible to double-dair somebody doing this? Or maybe dair-footstool? Would make a nice gimp.
no the slow fall dair is just dairing while falling at a normal speed that you initiate while you are falling. this lets you dair in situations that would otherwise kill you giving you more situations you can spike people off stage such as when people like marth game and watch or donkey kong have to up b.

Its easy to practice vs the computer diddy however. To practice slow fall dairing practice platform droping while in shield and then in training mode run off and dair, if you do it correctly you shouldn't kill yourself (or move that far down) when you get the hang of it practice it vs comp diddys and spike their up b. When you can do that without killing yourself of you can use it in a lot more situations.

As a side note I've never had diddy barrels hit me while I've spiked him out of it.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Poke, this thread is actually more insightful, because it suggests a tactic that is not used frequently. I certainly don't see slow fall dairs off-stage from Falco, either. Nice idea, Soren, I've tossed around this idea after seeing combo videos of Ike/Samus doing jab cancel near edge>dair, but it's nice to know that it has more practical applications. My only problem is that I always FF, but I guess I just need to work on my finger sensitivity.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Sometimes it's the little things like this that can make a difference. Haha.

:phone:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Can't you just hold diagonally down to not fastfall when dairing or did I just miss something vital?

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I haven't tried that explicitely

It has to do with the sensitivity, also if you are holding diagonally down wouldn't you be moving in the direction?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
^To elaborate on that : you can start running, then hold the Analog :stick3: and you can Dair with the Cstick :cstick2: without FFing.

Or you can set the Cstick to "attack" instead of "smash", but I think Falco loses to much technical stuff by doing this.

Top Bottom