• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

League of Legends Champions for Smash

Which League of Legends Champion would you want to see?

• Garen

• Katarina

• Teemo

• Ahri

• Ryze

• Annie

• Ashe

• Ezreal

• Lux

• Yasuo

• Riven

• Jinx

• Miss Fortune

• Ekko

• Other

• Vi

• Lee Sin

Results are only viewable after voting.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
League of Legends is one of the most successful MOBAs out there, with over 100 million users (data from 2017) and 145 different Champions with unique passive abilities, moves and Ultimates. Champions are a big part of LoL's success, and they range from swordsmen like Garen, to assassins like Katarina, to mages like Ryze, to bow users like Ashe, to memes like Teemo and everything in between.

With how crazy Smash Bros. Ultimate's expansion into third party territory has been, a partnership with Riot is not out of the realm of possibility, given how popular the game is worldwide, especially in certain territories that Nintendo is trying to expand to, like Korea and China, for instance.

EDIT: Apparently a new version of League of Legends, called Wild Rift, is coming to consoles sometime in 2020. While no Switch version was officially announced, it's certainly a big possibility.

So, out of all possible characters: if this ends up happening, which one of the League champions would you like to see?

I've posted a poll above with some of Champions that tend to be seen as "faces of League" to try and gauge the want for them. Should the option you want not be here... have no fear! Just vote "other" and write who the champion is in the thread. If there are enough people asking, I'll just stack them to the poll.

If you don't know much about League, but want to take a better look at the champions and what they offer: https://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/

Summoners (Support List)

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My least favorite part of Warcraft 3 was the heroes, and MOBA's are literally taking the part I disliked and making an entire game around it

Roberk

Smash Champion
Well, I guess I've made a pretty good argument for Vi, so my "Other" vote goes to her. Out of the other characters I'd be most interested in Teemo, Lux, Ekko, and Jinx in that order. I'll even make posts for some of them like I did with Vi.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Well, I guess I've made a pretty good argument for Vi, so my "Other" vote goes to her. Out of the other characters I'd be most interested in Teemo, Lux, Ekko, and Jinx in that order. I'll even make posts for some of them like I did with Vi.
Vi is arguably one of the few non-mage Champions that, imo, wouldn't be too hard to implement. Some champions' potential movesets practically write themselves, and she's one of those cases for sure.

If more people vote for her I'll add her to the poll so the votes can be counted easily.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
After reading Roberk's defense of Vi I'm actually super interested in seeing her in Smash. She sounds like she would be a fun and heavy hitter and her design is badass. I know all League characters can bring a unique cooldown mechanic to Smash and it's a really interesting pool of characters I've never even considered before. I'd love to hear about more potential characters and what they could bring to the table.

With how huge League is, especially in markets Nintendo is looking to break into, I think it's close-minded to ignore the possibility.

SKX31

Smash Master
After reading Roberk's defense of Vi I'm actually super interested in seeing her in Smash. She sounds like she would be a fun and heavy hitter and her design is badass. I know all League characters can bring a unique cooldown mechanic to Smash and it's a really interesting pool of characters I've never even considered before. I'd love to hear about more potential characters and what they could bring to the table.

With how huge League is, especially in markets Nintendo is looking to break into, I think it's close-minded to ignore the possibility.
MOBAs took on a life of its own very early, and its allowed the genre to build its roster in various creative ways. This is evident in both main games (LoL and Dota 2) and a main reason they've been able to self-substain if you ask me. Even SMITE, smaller as it is, has a very active player base.

Overall, I'm supportive of a LoL rep in Smash. I might be a Dota 2 guy (with some reservation considering how such a rep would impact Valve's other characters), but I have no real issues with it at all. Of course, the questions surrounding a LoL Switch port remain, but I'm starting to think that it's a question of when.

So yes, support.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'm just interested in a rep, I don't care who it is lol.

Although to contribute more to the discussion, I imagine Sakurai giving it the Pokemon treatment. i.e. picking a standout character that he likes from a list of characters that Riot provides for him.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I haven't played League in a very long time so I may not be up to date in who is the most popular character right now since champions regularly shift in popularity and usage. I remember Annie being quite popular back when I still played the game what with her having a lot of skins and her being common to see. Back then she was my main and I enjoyed playing her.

Of course I'm not invested in League of Legends as I was back then so I don't mind which champion would get in. But if I had to choose one then it has to be my old main. :p
Ahri would be cool too.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'm just interested in a rep, I don't care who it is lol.

Although to contribute more to the discussion, I imagine Sakurai giving it the Pokemon treatment. i.e. picking a standout character that he likes from a list of characters that Riot provides for him.
It's certainly possible. Considering there is no clear "face" of League and several champions have interesting mechanics, Riot and Nintendo would probably just let Sakurai choose based on what he thinks is interesting/viable.

I haven't played League in a very long time so I may not be up to date in who is the most popular character right now since champions regularly shift in popularity and usage. I remember Annie being quite popular back when I still played the game what with her having a lot of skins and her being common to see. Back then she was my main and I enjoyed playing her.

Of course I'm not invested in League of Legends as I was back then so I don't mind which champion would get in. But if I had to choose one then it has to be my old main. :p
Ahri would be cool too.
I'm not as invested in LoL these days either, but I think Ahri would be one of the frontrunners. She has a reasonable kit that represents some base mechanics for the game without going too crazy, a good amount of backing from both devs and fans and would be different from any character in the context of Smash. The closest thing we have to her mechanics-wise is Rosalina, but that's pretty much it.

I remember Annie being popular too, yes. I think there was even a rework scheduled for her, but no idea what became of that.

Hm, I've come to realize that a lot of popular LoL characters (as in general popularity) are mid lane picks.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Lux is definitely my choice, though I'd be happy with almost any of the queens in the game.
If Lux is chosen she's gotta have her Star Guardian skin as an alt. Isn't the reason they got like 3 waves of Star Guardian skins because Lux's one was so popular? Also it's a great way to finally get a Sailor Moon looking character.
I'd imagine Light Binding as a neutral B projectile that locks opponents in place for a few seconds or until hit. They still have free use of attacks and such, they just phyiscally can't move from the spot until the effect has worn off.
Side B I'd say is Lucent Singularity, where it's essentially Din's Fire but with a delay to the explosion. Like in the game it also slows walk and air speed. Pairs well with Light Binding as the long delay means the rooted opponent has to face the explosion and Lux moving in for a punish at the same time.
I'm not sure what to do with Prism Barrier. As a down B its pretty much Falco's reflect but with the barrier on Lux instead of flying out, and it doesn't make much sense as an up B without a bit of creativity, not to mention Recall is such an easy up B teleport.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Lux is definitely my choice, though I'd be happy with almost any of the queens in the game.
If Lux is chosen she's gotta have her Star Guardian skin as an alt. Isn't the reason they got like 3 waves of Star Guardian skins because Lux's one was so popular? Also it's a great way to finally get a Sailor Moon looking character.
I'd imagine Light Binding as a neutral B projectile that locks opponents in place for a few seconds or until hit. They still have free use of attacks and such, they just phyiscally can't move from the spot until the effect has worn off.
Side B I'd say is Lucent Singularity, where it's essentially Din's Fire but with a delay to the explosion. Like in the game it also slows walk and air speed. Pairs well with Light Binding as the long delay means the rooted opponent has to face the explosion and Lux moving in for a punish at the same time.
I'm not sure what to do with Prism Barrier. As a down B its pretty much Falco's reflect but with the barrier on Lux instead of flying out, and it doesn't make much sense as an up B without a bit of creativity, not to mention Recall is such an easy up B teleport.
Huh, this might be the first time I've seen someone suggest Recall as the up special, but maybe that's because I keep thinking of characters like Ahri or Ryze, who could use something else.

Also, added Vi to the poll due to demand, so if you want her, you can change your votes so they'll count directly for her!

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
I actually made Yasuo is both ssb4 and ssbu as a Mii Swordfighter. I based it off of the PROJECT: Yasuo skin. with the Bionic Helmet and Cybernetic suit. His moveset is 1222. Gale strike works as his Q skills 3rd cast that summons the tornado, Gale Stab to represent his E Skill(just a dash to an enemy, close enough), Reversal Slash for his Windwall(again, close enough) and Skyward Slash Dash as it was the thing closest to his R Skill.

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
As a League of Legends player of about 6 years, this would be like a dream come true for me. There's so much content you could use from League of Legends. Such as:

Playable characters:
There are even more characters than the ones mentioned in the poll above that could work. The main ones that I can think of that could have potential as a playable character would be Aatrox (Demonic Swordsman), Darius (Axe Wielding Knight), Gangplank (Pirate), Illaoi (Kraken Preistess), Orianna (Robot with a ball she can control, kinda reminds me of how Rosalina plays), and Zed (Shadow Assassin). I'm actually surprised that Zed was not on the poll. His whole moveset of him summoning shadows that then mimic his abilities would be awesome to have in Smash.

Items:
Banshee's Veil could work like a single use Franklin Badge but it blocks 1 special/grab from the enemy.
Zhonya's Hourglass would be a pretty sweet item to have. It's literally Hero's Kaclang. The Summoner Spell balls Zoe gets from her W ability could drop down as items as well. The ones I think could work are Heal(self-explanitory), Flash(short range, non-damaging teleport), Smite(could work like Pikachu's Thunder, maybe a throwable item), and Ignite(burn damage, maybe a throwable item)

Assist Trophies:
Some of the League of Legends characters, mainly the support champions, who don't have enough moveset options to be playable could work as assist trophies. Bard could drop his Caretaker's Shrines all over the stage, healing people who come into contact with them. Braum could use Stand Behind and Unbreakable to work like Gardevoir, except he'd make an effort to follow his summoner around and destroy projectiles instead of bouncing them back. Janna could use Monsoon to push foes away, healing her summoner and their allies that are near her. Jarvan IV could use Cataclysm to leap to a random enemy, trapping them in a crater for a little bit. Malzahar (my favorite champion) could summon his herds of voidlings from Void Swarm to the stage to attack foes. Rengar could work almost exactly like Lin with his Thrill of the Hunt. Shen could use Spirit's Refuge to create a zone where his summoner and allies are immune to non projectile damage for a short time. Singed could run around the stage leaving his poison gas behind. Soraka could use her Wish to heal all players. Tahm Kench could work as a Gulpin that wanders the stage with his Devour. Yuumi could attach to you and use Final Chapter to snare enemies that get hit enough times by her attack. Zoe could kick her Sleepy Trouble Bubbles around for a little bit, putting anybody hit to sleep.

Stages:
League of Legends has 3 different maps, but the main one is Summoner's Rift. I'm a little bit unsure of what could be done here to be honest. The best I can think of is maybe a Bridge of Elden style stage with turrets at the ends that fire at people who get too close. That feels like it captures more of a Howling Abyss, which is home to a mode exactly like what I pitched for the Summoner's Rift stage.

Bosses:
Yep, League of Legends has those too. The Elder Drake, Baron Nashor, and Vilemaw to be specific. Any of the 3 could be used as a story/classic mode boss (although Elder Drake could be covered by Rathalos) or a stage boss.

Mii Costumes:
League of Legends Mii Costumes are easy to come up with as well, as the game has Brawlers, Swordfighters, and Gunners.
Brawlers: Amumu, Blitzcrank, Braum, Gragas, Illaoi, Lee Sin, Malphite, Shyvana, Udyr, Vi, Volibear
Swordfighters: Aatrox, Kayle, Kayn, Master Yi, Nasus, Riven
Gunners: Caitlyn, Graves, Jhin, Jinx, Lucian, Miss Fortune, Teemo, Tristana

Am I going a little bit overboard? Yes. No chance in hell a 3rd party DLC character gets even half this much stuff. But I wanted to have some fun with this and show the truckload of content League of Legends could have.

Edit: Added which abilities were being used to the assist trophies for a better visual of what they could do, fixed spelling errors

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
There are even more characters than the ones mentioned in the poll above that could work. The main ones that I can think of that could have potential as a playable character would be Aatrox (Demonic Swordsman), Darius (Axe Wielding Knight), Gangplank (Pirate), Illaoi (Kraken Preistess), Orianna (Robot with a ball she can control, kinda reminds me of how Rosalina plays), and Zed (Shadow Assassin). I'm actually surprised that Zed was not on the poll. His whole moveset of him summoning shadows that then mimic his abilities would be awesome to have in Smash.
To be fair, Aatrox, Illaoi and Orianna aren't exactly what I'd call "faces of League". Before his rework, Aatrox was patched... what, twice? And then it took a long time for Riot to give the guy some attention again.

I did think about Zed, Darius and Gangplank, but the poll already had 11 options when I first made it. If there is enough demand for any champion that isn't there, I'll add them so you can all change your votes.

Which is why I encourage the people who voted "Other" to say which champion they want. League has over 100 characters and they're not popular in equal measure, so there's no way I'm making the poll that big, haha.

I can see Summoner's Rift being a travelling stage, going through each lane, Baron and Dragon pits and each Nexus, with champion cameos on the way. Since things already change in set intervals, it would translate well for Smash.

As for the Spirits... the fights almost write themselves. One example would be Cho'Gath being a Ridley that gets stat buffs after eating and grows giant after some time.

Roberk

Smash Champion
To be fair, Aatrox, Illaoi and Orianna aren't exactly what I'd call "faces of League". Before his rework, Aatrox was patched... what, twice? And then it took a long time for Riot to give the guy some attention again.

I did think about Zed, Darius and Gangplank, but the poll already had 11 options when I first made it. If there is enough demand for any champion that isn't there, I'll add them so you can all change your votes.

Which is why I encourage the people who voted "Other" to say which champion they want. League has over 100 characters and they're not popular in equal measure, so there's no way I'm making the poll that big, haha.

I can see Summoner's Rift being a travelling stage, going through each lane, Baron and Dragon pits and each Nexus, with champion cameos on the way. Since things already change in set intervals, it would translate well for Smash.

As for the Spirits... the fights almost write themselves. One example would be Cho'Gath being a Ridley that gets stat buffs after eating and grows giant after some time.
While Summoner's Rift would be the most iconic, I think it'd also be cool to travel to some other lands like Piltover, Bilgewater, Noxus, Zaun, Bandle City, etc. to better allow for cameos and show the diversity of League. Of course, it'd be limited due to the workload, but it'd be a cool stage for League fans in terms of fanservice and Smash fans who want visual diversity.

D

Deleted member

Oh my God, I was today years old when I found out there was a LoL champion support thread.

Hailing from Mobile Legends (yep we're the ones that got sued Riot so umm...at least I have a background), I believed MOBAs have the chance to be in Smash. Though Sakurai has yet to talk to the big wigs at Riot, MOBAs can bring so much to Smash.

Gaming icons? Check. They're one of the frontrunners of modern esports, and since we as Smashers take pride in our esports scene, why not?

Relevant? Yes.

In short conclusion, MOBAs would absolutely rock in Smash. Just look at all the content you pull out.

Definitely support. My personal vote was Ashe since she was technically the first champ you play as, something akin to like, Ryu if you played Street Fighter for the first time, or Ahri due to her unique fighting style and her newfound popularity.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
While Summoner's Rift would be the most iconic, I think it'd also be cool to travel to some other lands like Piltover, Bilgewater, Noxus, Zaun, Bandle City, etc. to better allow for cameos and show the diversity of League. Of course, it'd be limited due to the workload, but it'd be a cool stage for League fans in terms of fanservice and Smash fans who want visual diversity.
Would I love this? YES. But I think it's way too hard. Take the Dragon Quest stage, for example - while it shows all of Erdrea, you never really land anywhere to explore the locations in full detail. I think the scope of Runeterra is way too big for that.

However... it's possible to reference the different locations with music and Classic Modes. For example: Colosseum could represent Noxus, because of the colosseum there. Suzaku Castle goes for Ionia, and so on. I'd love it if whoever the Champion is, the stages both referenced a place in Runeterra and also were "places of competition".

But in general, yeah, I feel your pain. I wish we had more than two desert stages or more than one ice stage, for example.

Oh my God, I was today years old when I found out there was a LoL champion support thread.

Hailing from Mobile Legends (yep we're the ones that got sued Riot so umm...at least I have a background), I believed MOBAs have the chance to be in Smash. Though Sakurai has yet to talk to the big wigs at Riot, MOBAs can bring so much to Smash.

Gaming icons? Check. They're one of the frontrunners of modern esports, and since we as Smashers take pride in our esports scene, why not?

Relevant? Yes.

In short conclusion, MOBAs would absolutely rock in Smash. Just look at all the content you pull out.

Definitely support. My personal vote was Ashe since she was technically the first champ you play as, something akin to like, Ryu if you played Street Fighter for the first time, or Ahri due to her unique fighting style and her newfound popularity.
No prob, the thread is... what, three days old?

I think League is really being slept on. Dota too (ha), but I guess it's because most people on Smashboards aren't familiar with either.

I think my biggest question now is: if we get a MOBA character, when would they be announced? Since MOBAs tend to do their own thing in their own events, I have no idea how this could go. TGA and E3 just... feel wrong. Maybe a Direct, if one of those games gets a Switch port?

Roberk

Smash Champion
Would I love this? YES. But I think it's way too hard. Take the Dragon Quest stage, for example - while it shows all of Erdrea, you never really land anywhere to explore the locations in full detail. I think the scope of Runeterra is way too big for that.

However... it's possible to reference the different locations with music and Classic Modes. For example: Colosseum could represent Noxus, because of the colosseum there. Suzaku Castle goes for Ionia, and so on. I'd love it if whoever the Champion is, the stages both referenced a place in Runeterra and also were "places of competition".

But in general, yeah, I feel your pain. I wish we had more than two desert stages or more than one ice stage, for example.

No prob, the thread is... what, three days old?

I think League is really being slept on. Dota too (ha), but I guess it's because most people on Smashboards aren't familiar with either.

I think my biggest question now is: if we get a MOBA character, when would they be announced? Since MOBAs tend to do their own thing in their own events, I have no idea how this could go. TGA and E3 just... feel wrong. Maybe a Direct, if one of those games gets a Switch port?
Worlds 2019 Grand Finals in a couple of weeks would be perfect: in a huge stadium with tons of production value already being broadcast to millions of viewers around the world.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Worlds 2019 Grand Finals in a couple of weeks would be perfect: in a huge stadium with tons of production value already being broadcast to millions of viewers around the world.
Yes, it would be absolutely insane. I think there is a risk involved in that we don't know how much of League's audience cares about Smash (we know a portion of people do, considering there were threads about Smash in LoL forums before there were LoL threads here), but I think it would pay off.

Sadly, Nintendo has a habit of not really caring about competitive communities, so... yeah. But if it happened, I would absolutely love it.

On a sidenote: I just realized that basically all of the champions would already have a title for Boxing Ring. What would their taglines be, though? Would they be a generic reference to League or something more specific?

Roberk

Smash Champion
Yes, it would be absolutely insane. I think there is a risk involved in that we don't know how much of League's audience cares about Smash (we know a portion of people do, considering there were threads about Smash in LoL forums before there were LoL threads here), but I think it would pay off.

Sadly, Nintendo has a habit of not really caring about competitive communities, so... yeah. But if it happened, I would absolutely love it.

On a sidenote: I just realized that basically all of the champions would already have a title for Boxing Ring. What would their taglines be, though? Would they be a generic reference to League or something more specific?
Well, we got the announcement of the August Direct last year at EVO, so I don't think that Nintendo is shy of competitive third-party events. It would also reach the audience that they're trying to appeal to, as League is it's own social media ecosystem so there wouldn't be as much traction if a League character was revealed in a Direct.

On taglines, it just depends on the character. If something is really memeable, they might go with that, but overall it'll probably be a reference to League itself.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Well, we got the announcement of the August Direct last year at EVO, so I don't think that Nintendo is shy of competitive third-party events. It would also reach the audience that they're trying to appeal to, as League is it's own social media ecosystem so there wouldn't be as much traction if a League character was revealed in a Direct.

On taglines, it just depends on the character. If something is really memeable, they might go with that, but overall it'll probably be a reference to League itself.
Oh, I'm aware. MOBAs (and MMOs too, for that matter) work in environments that a Direct wouldn't be able to reach completely, even if said game came to the Switch. In that case, going to the source woud be a hundred times better, true. Thing is, Nintendo still needs to deliver the announcement, and, as you said, the best we ever got in a competitive event was an announcement of an announcement. Sure, it could be that since the announcements were so close to EVO, they felt no need to show anything there, as the schedule accounted for that.

Really hoping an exception happened and we got something at Worlds, because it would be ******* EPIC.

You know, I just really hope that if we do get a League character, their trailer revolves around "being invited to a new Field of Justice". In that sense, Smash and League matches aren't so different, really, as they're more like sporting events than anything else.

Senatiator

Smash Apprentice
I like to see Ahri in Super Smash Bros.

and no, it's not just for bringing in Hiroyuki Sawano specifically when Xenoblade X is meant to do that.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I like to see Ahri in Super Smash Bros.

Especially if she brings in her Star Guardian alt and it's related content.
Honestly, with how much focus League gives to skins and events, pretty much any character that got in would absolutely need at least one alt costume. Not having a skin would be a crime.

For Ahri, it would either be Star Guardian or Popstar, methinks. Both events are really popular, to the point where I think these skins would be no-brainer choices for her.

KatKit

Smash Lord
So, today I learned about this Draven fellow, but visually and even gameplay-wise, I can see how he's a total meme, ahaha.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
If we get a Lol character in the game, there's only one I want, the best of the best, the cream of the crop, my boi:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
One cool thing I thought for the stage: if you're playing with three or more people and someons loses a stock, instead of the "player X defeated" voice line, it plays "an enemy has been slain" or, in team battles, "an ally has been slain".

The sounds would also be a cool way to tell players a hazard would appear on the stage.

D

Deleted member

Yo, they just announced that League is coming to consoles.

If they announce a ****ing Switch version...

WHAT A TRULY GRACIOUS OPPURTUNITY...I MUST WANT LEAGUE IN SMASH MORE THAN EVER!

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Didn't comment before because the last comment was still mine, so... yeah XD.

Two very important announcements for League in Smash fans yesterday: we saw footage of Project L (even if it's just a bit). Four Champions confirmed so far: Ahri, Darius, Jinx and Katarina. I guess they'll be focusing on the more popular champions first. Consequently, they'll probably steal the spotlight of our conversations in the coming months.

Second: League for consoles (Wild Rift) is coming in 2020 and considering how the Switch works, it would be Riot's biggest missing opportunity if they put this thing in mobiles but not on Switch. So League on a Nintendo console might as well be inevitable at this point, which is a big boost in our favour.

Also, lol at that "MOAR LUX SKINS" sign on Riot HQ.

EDIT: To the people who voted "Other"... what are your votes? I remember one person saying Zed, but there are quite a few others who didn't say anything. Maybe if there is some overlap, I could add your characters to the poll, remember that.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Maximillian (who has zilch LoL experience, by the by) uploaded this just recently:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Maximillian (who has zilch LoL experience, by the by) uploaded this just recently:
So did other fighting game Youtubers, like Koefficient:

This will either be something magical or a big letdown. Let's hope it's the former, because I really want to like this game. And I hope they keep stuff like passives and status effects from League. Adds more depth to the game.

Also, a reminder for the people who vote "other" to say the champion they'd want on the thread.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So, thread collected quite a bit of dust after my last post, I see.

Here's a question for SKX31 SKX31 : we're not getting a character reveal tomorrow. But they need something before February and I really think TGA was a one-time deal.

So what's the chance that you were right and a Worlds reveal happens a few days after Terry? Just curious how you feel about that rn.

EDIT: Oops, it was Roberk Roberk , actually. My bad. I'm tagging you both either way lol.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
So, thread collected quite a bit of dust after my last post, I see.

Here's a question for SKX31 SKX31 : we're not getting a character reveal tomorrow. But they need something before February and I really think TGA was a one-time deal.

So what's the chance that you were right and a Worlds reveal happens a few days after Terry? Just curious how you feel about that rn.

EDIT: Oops, it was Roberk Roberk , actually. My bad. I'm tagging you both either way lol.
Well, that's kinda up the air I'd guess?

I've always felt LoL's strongest positive is the Tencent connection, and how much Tencent is hugging Nintendo at the moment. However, their close partners SNK just got a character, and I'd doubt that Tencent would go all in now. Or Riot for that matter when they might not be ready to ship Wild Rift / other games in time for FP5.

I don't think this Worlds would be it simply because of timing, but it would be one of the best opportunities to truly surprise people. OTOH I could see Worlds 2020 or 21 being a much stronger possibility. I do agree with the larger point Roberk Roberk made, that in order to reach these ecosystems you might wanna announce that there. That's not something Nintendo's done before, but if you're gonna do it go big.

Same would be said for other ecosystems (like the International, Dota 2's (in)famous Worlds and the tournament that inspired Riot to even expand Worlds into what it is today).

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Well, that's kinda up the air I'd guess?

I've always felt LoL's strongest positive is the Tencent connection, and how much Tencent is hugging Nintendo at the moment. However, their close partners SNK just got a character, and I'd doubt that Tencent would go all in now. Or Riot for that matter when they might not be ready to ship Wild Rift / other games in time for FP5.

I don't think this Worlds would be it simply because of timing, but it would be one of the best opportunities to truly surprise people. OTOH I could see Worlds 2020 or 21 being a much stronger possibility. I do agree with the larger point Roberk Roberk made, that in order to reach these ecosystems you might wanna announce that there. That's not something Nintendo's done before, but if you're gonna do it go big.

Same would be said for other ecosystems (like the International, Dota 2's (in)famous Worlds and the tournament that inspired Riot to even expand Worlds into what it is today).
Maybe. I'm not sure if a character's game absolutely needs to reach Nintendo systems before they appear in Smash. But I dunno, my biggest problem with a Champion being #5 isn't even that, but the fact that Finals are only 5 days away and Nintendo (or Riot, to keep the surprise) would probably need to redirect the attention of Switch owners there somehow... seems like short notice.

That said, it could be done in a announcement a la post-Cloud: Sakurai announces something for the same day as Worlds (without drawing attention to that, of course). The timing coincides with the pre-Finals stuff. Then, at the same time, the trailer for the Champion is broadcasted at Nintendo's channel and shown live in the Finals arena, without anyone realizing what it is until it happens.

...I had to wear like 3 tinfoil hats stacked on top of each other to think of that one.

But hey:

Ahri is CP5 -> No fear
People using that to say that Milk-BOSATU was right all along -> One fear

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Literally Jinx. She's just as a League of Legends mascot.

UserKev

Smash Champion
...I find it ironic that Jinx is now tied with Vi in the poll.
Ahri as a rep would be so predictable and least exciting. I guess some people don't like interesting twists. Jinx is by far sensible LOL representation, honestly.

Top Bottom