• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oof indeed. No shock that the 3DS games took a drop in sales, but the DS games falling in performance is just... sad.
That's kind of par for the course for most franchises where the first games tend to do significantly better than their close successors, though I thought Pandora's Box sold more than Curious Village but apparently not...

They also didn't include the mobile release of LMJ which I believe did a bit better than the 3DS version (Or at least brought a combined sales of about 2 million if I recall)

But yeah, I'm not really surprised at all by the underperformance of the Switch rerelease, especially since Level-5 really did not bother advertising it, like, at all.
Much like the HD ports of the original trilogy, all they really did was post some tweets and maybe a launch trailer and pretty much called it a day afterwards...
(Also the fact that it got sandwiched tightly between Luigi's Mansion 3, Pokemon Sword/Shield and Terry's Smash Ultimate DLC probably didn't help much either...)

Like gosh, where they trying to outdo Nintendo's Chibi-Robo at sabotaging the franchise? Jesus... :drsad:

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
hey nintendo didnt sabotage chibi-robo it was the fans who were unwilling to give zip-lash a chance

besides it would have been skip
From what I've heard, it wasn't just Zip-Lash (Though it was the series final straw...), the franchise as a whole went through a number of bizarre and poorly thought out decisions one after another ever since the series original Gamecube release.

Like who's idea was it to make one of the games Wal-Mart exclusive?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
From what I've heard, it wasn't just Zip-Lash (Though it was the series final straw...), the franchise as a whole went through a number of bizarre and poorly thought out decisions one after another ever since the series original Gamecube release.

Like who's idea was it to make one of the games Wal-Mart exclusive?
either wal-mart and their money or NOA

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Closest thing is probably Azran Legacy as far as supernatural things going in the series, don't remember if they fully explained half the shenanigans that happened there or if Layton just rolled with it because Azran tech...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, Level-5 is at least doing something! So, that's nice!
Oh, that's interesting, is Namco helping them publish and release this to the west?
Here's hoping for good things to come then..

I wonder if we’ll see anything Layton related at E3....
Yeah I wouldn't really count on it, as amageish amageish said, They tend to prefer to reveal their stuff on Japanese events like Tokyo Game Show or their own Level-5 Vision event (if that ever becomes a thing again...)

I think the only thing ever shown up during E3 was the reveal of the Ace Attorney crossover and the localization and release dates of some of the Layton games like Last Specter if I recall.
I think a Layton cafe was also briefly opened around E3 during the series 10th anniversary, but that's more or less it if I recall...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Oh, that's interesting, is Namco helping them publish and release this to the west?
Here's hoping for good things to come then..
Yeah, Namco has always published the Ni No Kuni IP in the west, I think. It is very nice to have a partner that, you know, publishes games at a reasonable speed worldwide...

isnt that that weird one where you play a cat kid trying to take over the world?
Uh, I mean, yeah, I guess that's a way of describing it? It's the Level-5 IP about the cat kid, as opposed to the one about the kid who owns a spirit cat or the one about the kid who travels with the top-hat dude and can talk to cats.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Uh, I mean, yeah, I guess that's a way of describing it? It's the Level-5 IP about the cat kid, as opposed to the one about the kid who owns a spirit cat or the one about the kid who travels with the top-hat dude and can talk to cats.
hey dont forget about the marshmallow ghost

MattX20

Smash Hero
With just a little over a month to go, it's only a matter of time before we potentially find out who the last fighters are at E3

amageish

Smash Master
With just a little over a month to go, it's only a matter of time before we potentially find out who the last fighters are at E3
I'm just glad we have an E3 this year... I know the people who run it aren't exactly the best, but goodness do I prefer having a unified event over 14 events each with 4-5 announcements...

The end of Smash speculation (probably) being within the year does feel kind of crazy. When FP2 was announced my reaction was "Wow, that'll be a long time before it ends" and I... didn't know the half of it given the pandemic and the craziness that has gone on in the interim.

My hopes for Layton aren't exactly, uh, high, but hey... Strange things happen sometimes, I guess.

Detectively

Smash Rookie
My hopes for him were sort of dashed when Level 5 said they were closing in all branches except their Japanese one. It'd be a little strange to bring a character to the public eye after the company shut most of it's doors.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
My hopes for him were sort of dashed when Level 5 said they were closing in all branches except their Japanese one. It'd be a little strange to bring a character to the public eye after the company shut most of it's doors.
well Layton is already in the public eye. The closing of the branches were probably down to financial trouble. If Layton was in the game the deal would have been made before that

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Eh the closing of the western branch happened a whole year after the second fighters pass was finalized.
So if we don't get to see Layton (or any Level-5 content in general) I doubt its because of that.

I guess they just weren't interested, which would kinda suck if they ended up being pretty much the only Japanese company to not get any content whatsoever in the game, asides from an alt they weren't even acknowledged for. Not sure what that would say of their chances in future titles if Nintendo was already this apathetic towards them in this game when they where this generous with so many other companies...

Since I'm not sure what the company's future would be in a few years time, unless they managed to turn the whole thing around by then or get bought out by another company. I might probably just throw in the towel for Layton come next Smash..

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Eh the closing of the western branch happened a whole year after the second fighters pass was finalized.
So if we don't get to see Layton (or any Level-5 content in general) I doubt its because of that.

I guess they just weren't interested, which would kinda suck if they ended up being pretty much the only Japanese company to not get any content whatsoever in the game, asides from an alt they weren't even acknowledged for. Not sure what that would say of their chances in future titles if Nintendo was already this apathetic towards them in this game when they where this generous with so many other companies...

Since I'm not sure what the company's future would be in a few years time, unless they managed to turn the whole thing around by then or get bought out by another company. I might probably just throw in the towel for Layton come next Smash..
well remember it might not be nintendo who arent being generous, after all arent level-5 in this position cause of themselves?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
well remember it might not be nintendo who arent being generous, after all arent level-5 in this position cause of themselves?
Yeah, their being lead by a CEO that is more suited at coming up with new IP's than running a company.

The ditch their in is entirely on them and remains to be seen if they will eventually get out of the rabbit hole they dug for themselves..

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, their being lead by a CEO that is more suited at coming up with new IP's than running a company.

The ditch their in is entirely on them and remains to be seen if they will eventually get out of the rabbit hole they dug for themselves..
I hope they do. It’d be a shame to see the end of Layton and yo-kai watch

amageish

Smash Master

So, uh, Japan is getting Layton's Mystery Journey Even MORE Deluxe Edition.

Neat? I can't tell if this is an update to the game or a new way of buying the same game.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So, uh, Japan is getting Layton's Mystery Journey Even MORE Deluxe Edition.

Neat? I can't tell if this is an update to the game or a new way of buying the same game.
Oh, is it just an update to add the anime voice cast to the game or is it something a bit more substantial than that?

I wonder if they'll also add the QoL updates they added for the western releases where you don't need to buy those trinkets to get all the bonus costumes and puzzles anymore, and probably the Flora costume no longer being preorder exclusive if that's still a thing.

Otherwise I'm not sure what this really adds...

Also L5 can we just finally leave Millionaire's Conspiracy behind and get a new entry already, please...? :drsad:

Edit: Also the anime seems to be getting rebroadcasted, a new season on the horizon perhaps?

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Oh, is it just an update to add the anime voice cast to the game or is it something a bit more substantial than that?

I wonder if they'll also add the QoL updates they added for the western releases where you don't need to buy those trinkets to get all the bonus costumes and puzzles anymore, and probably the Flora costume no longer being preorder exclusive if that's still a thing.

Otherwise I'm not sure what this really adds...

Also L5 can we just finally leave Millionaire's Conspiracy behind and get a new entry already, please...? :drsad:
It seems to be a redub and that's... it? Maybe they'll add new puzzles or something too, but they aren't advertising that aspect.

I believe Flora is now out for everyone, thankfully, though they still have the weird mobile-game-esque features that are confusingly exclusive to the Switch version.

Also, yes, take this meme I made and will probably post on the subreddit soon...

level5meme.png

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It seems to be a redub and that's... it? Maybe they'll add new puzzles or something too, but they aren't advertising that aspect.

I believe Flora is now out for everyone, thankfully, though they still have the weird mobile-game-esque features that are confusingly exclusive to the Switch version.

Also, yes, take this meme I made and will probably post on the subreddit soon...

View attachment 314172
  • When Layton fans out there begging for them to bring over the HD OG Trilogy remasters over to the Switch
  • Level-5 goes ahead and rerelease the one already on Switch, again...

Speaking of which, whatever happened to that Curious Village HD Switch version that was leaked ages ago...?

amageish

Smash Master
  • When Layton fans out there begging for them to bring over the HD OG Trilogy remasters over to the Switch
  • Level-5 goes ahead and rerelease the one already on Switch, again...

Speaking of which, whatever happened to that Curious Village HD Switch version that was leaked ages ago...?
If we'e being as pessimistic as possible, then it'd assume it was a clerical error on the part of the French localization team. Like, the website designer just assumed it was/would-be on Switch somehow...

Top Bottom