• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Basically, voting percentage trying to be higher than the other side's.

But whatever, this latest round is so one-sided that it would take a miracle for Layton to have the advantage. I just can't stand that thread at all, so please ignore me.
I mean, if ya take a look in the thread right now, overall Layton is doing much better than Sora is. People overall are a bit skeptical of Sora due to the House of Mouse. But to each their own.

I'm sure there are some people concerned with RTC leaderboards and who is the highest-rated character, but that's hardly the purpose of the thread...

At least the format of RTC ensures that discussion constantly moves around, which can't be said of... most general threads on this website, which can be... slightly cyclical (which isn't to say that I don't like discussing the same thing over and over, but I figure that's what topic threads are for).
I mean, most stuff nominated in RTC will break the top ten for chance or want. It mainly is just about discussing an idea you think is cool. Right now I am pushing for a Mike Haggar day since that would be a ton of fun.

I'd also say sometimes that bringing up characters more helps expose them more and helps them get more fans. Great examples of this are Reimu and Adol. Reimu in particular I like since the math for her scores is a very clear upwards trajectory.

In terms of keeping this to Layton, I finished the first Layton trilogy for the DS this fall. Honestly great games, my favorite by far was Unwound Future. I plan on playing through the DS/3DS trilogy, but I want to get some more cash before I go out and buy them. I hope that when I do I will enjoy this trilogy. I heard it is not as strong as the first trilogy, but I hope to be proven wrong. Right now I would say it goes UF>CV>DB for me, but I will see how it goes once I beat the second trilogy.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Anyway, regardless if there is or isn't a tug of war, the RTC thread basically boils down to this:
  • post how likely two characters are
  • mudslinging against character(s) in question occurs
  • said two characters get swapped out
  • repeat
In these circumstances, the most involvement one should get in that thread is post about their character choice, and bail out right afterwards.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well I'll give my two cents on the thread anyway and call it a day I suppose, assuming Layton's still up for ratings.
Solid arrangement! I, uh, hope it is older footage though, as I can't imagine that many symphonies are safely performing in 2020...
True, it probably is I suppose, at least I'd imagine live orchestra's are a part of the current lockdowns, guess it depends on when that 8-bit event took place...

amageish

Smash Master
I mean, most stuff nominated in RTC will break the top ten for chance or want. It mainly is just about discussing an idea you think is cool. Right now I am pushing for a Mike Haggar day since that would be a ton of fun.

I'd also say sometimes that bringing up characters more helps expose them more and helps them get more fans. Great examples of this are Reimu and Adol. Reimu in particular I like since the math for her scores is a very clear upwards trajectory.

In terms of keeping this to Layton, I finished the first Layton trilogy for the DS this fall. Honestly great games, my favorite by far was Unwound Future. I plan on playing through the DS/3DS trilogy, but I want to get some more cash before I go out and buy them. I hope that when I do I will enjoy this trilogy. I heard it is not as strong as the first trilogy, but I hope to be proven wrong. Right now I would say it goes UF>CV>DB for me, but I will see how it goes once I beat the second trilogy.
Haggar's a good choice! I do wish Capcom used him in things more often.

It's definitely a good way to get characters underdiscussed characters/concepts some more attention... I mean, not every character gets to be in the title of a large thread, even if it's just for a day.

ANYWAY, yes, this is the Layton thread. Unwound Future is also my favourite (and probably most people here, honestly)! The prequel trilogy is definitely a bit less beloved by fans, but they're still considered good overall. The story is just a bit more overarching and, by extension, the whole thing rides or dies more based on your personal enjoyment of certain twists... some of which not the most popular. 😅 The puzzles are still fun though and the new assistant Emmy is also a solid character.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Anyway, regardless if there is or isn't a tug of war, the RTC thread basically boils down to this:
  • post how likely two characters are
  • mudslinging against character(s) in question occurs
  • said two characters get swapped out
  • repeat
In these circumstances, the most involvement one should get in that thread is post about their character choice, and bail out right afterwards.
Speaking from experience, there is rarely any mudslinging towards any characters. At worst, someone might voice that they would not enjoy a character. Even then, 99.99% of the time people are civil. I can count the number of days that I would say were not civil on one hand. Worst comes to worse, someone might not like one of your most wanted. That's really it. Even then, the simplest way to counteract that... is to just post a quick want rating for your character. There is a reason that I post a link as often as possible to a character's day. It helps when a character's fans come in and make a case for why the character is cool or should be in.

Secondly, we rarely do double days outside of a fixed schedule, so basically no mudslinging or rivalry there. Fixed schedules only occur for popular/relevant due to circumstances after a certain point of time. Basically the rest of the time, everything discussed is just things nominated anyone in the thread. I am pushing Haggar right now, some other popular niche characters are dominating the nominations list, such as Marina Lightyear, Beat from Jet Set Radio, and Qbby. One of the best parts of RTC is it is a great way to just push a character or idea and discuss it. It's a big thread

If you want a more accurate representation of how RTC works, here it is.

• fixed schedule happens potentially after a long period of time between big reveals (this year we did one post Min Min and one post Sephiroth)
  • People nominate what they want to talk about while rating stuff
  • a short fixed schedule of the most popular nominated concepts and characters is lined up for the next week of rtc days
  • Repeat
Obviously, the thread aint for everyone, but the view you posted of the thread is super distorted at best.

Unwound Future is also my favourite (and probably most people here, honestly)! The prequel trilogy is definitely a bit less beloved by fans, but they're still considered good overall. The story is just a bit more overarching and, by extension, the whole thing rides or dies more based on your personal enjoyment of certain twists... some of which not the most popular. 😅 The puzzles are still fun though and the new assistant Emmy is also a solid character.
Yeah, that is the one thing I heard. I heard the story ended on a mediocre note. Regardless, I hope that I enjoy the characters. UF had the best characters imo, but I just loved the core cast of the original trilogy. My favorite was Don Paulo, he just always made me have a smile on my face. I just liked the writing of the series as a whole. UF made me tear up a little at parts which is always a good sign.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Speaking from experience, there is rarely any mudslinging towards any characters. At worst, someone might voice that they would not enjoy a character. Even then, 99.99% of the time people are civil. I can count the number of days that I would say were not civil on one hand. Worst comes to worse, someone might not like one of your most wanted. That's really it. Even then, the simplest way to counteract that... is to just post a quick want rating for your character. There is a reason that I post a link as often as possible to a character's day. It helps when a character's fans come in and make a case for why the character is cool or should be in.

Secondly, we rarely do double days outside of a fixed schedule, so basically no mudslinging or rivalry there. Fixed schedules only occur for popular/relevant due to circumstances after a certain point of time. Basically the rest of the time, everything discussed is just things nominated anyone in the thread. I am pushing Haggar right now, some other popular niche characters are dominating the nominations list, such as Marina Lightyear, Beat from Jet Set Radio, and Qbby. One of the best parts of RTC is it is a great way to just push a character or idea and discuss it. It's a big thread

If you want a more accurate representation of how RTC works, here it is.

• fixed schedule happens potentially after a long period of time between big reveals (this year we did one post Min Min and one post Sephiroth)
  • People nominate what they want to talk about while rating stuff
  • a short fixed schedule of the most popular nominated concepts and characters is lined up for the next week of rtc days
  • Repeat
Obviously, the thread aint for everyone, but the view you posted of the thread is super distorted at best.

Yeah, that is the one thing I heard. I heard the story ended on a mediocre note. Regardless, I hope that I enjoy the characters. UF had the best characters imo, but I just loved the core cast of the original trilogy. My favorite was Don Paulo, he just always made me have a smile on my face. I just liked the writing of the series as a whole. UF made me tear up a little at parts which is always a good sign.
who didn’t tear up?

amageish

Smash Master
Don Paulo is definitely a great and super memorable character. I think the prequel characters are pretty solid overall - Inspector Grosky is a fun comedic take on a beefy detective, Emmy is a good capable badass assistant, and the new villain is enjoyable, if less funny. It still has plenty of good moments, even if you don't love the twists... which is harder to say about Layton's Mystery Journey, even if I think that game is slightly overhated.

UF also definitely makes people cry. I did tear up at some parts of the prequel trilogy too, but I also teared up in Splatoon 2's story, so I am probably not a great barameter for what things make the average person cry...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah the prequels have more of an overarching plot going on, compared to the more separate storytelling that the original trilogy has (At worst you may be wondering who certain recurring characters are here or there if you missed their debut games, but overall the main plots are self contained), granted every game does still have its own separate story to tell all things considered, but the prequels do still go out of its way to have more of an overarching plot that it tries to connect together by the final game (Azran Legacy) which always runs the risk of either making or breaking the whole thing if its not pulled off in a satisfying way.

I think a large part of what might have held back the prequels is probably just that, they where prequels, especially considering what happened in the third game, but at the risk of getting into spoiler territory, I guess I'll just leave things at that...

Anyway, I gave my two cents at RTC, thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I don't visit the RTC threads often since I tend to focus more on evidence based from research and logical deductions based on other factors.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I heard the news that Professor Layton was being rated again in the RTC thread, but sadly, it looks like I was just a little too late in lending a hand. Been swamped with work over the last few days and had a chance to post, only to see that the RTC ended just a short while later. Had I had more time, I probably would've reshared my thoughts on his chances and my want ranting for that day.

I did see some of the posts though. Looks like Level 5 closing down many of its offices in North America really gave Professor Layton a huge hit in its chances, but it's nice to see most of the people that commented still having a good interest in seeing the gentleman in Smash.

I still feel like he's a coin flip to me, even with Level 5 recently taking a big business hit (pretty sure all of these characters for FP2 were decided before that unfortunate news about Level 5). Really though, these next two characters feel like they could be anything. Would be amazing if one of them is Layton, but I'm prepared for the possibility of Layton not being one of them.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

amageish

Smash Master
Well, on the bright side, LMJ Deluxe managed to be in the top 30 Switch eShop digital downloads of 2020, (in Japan at least)
25th place to be exact, this game as well as Ni No Kuni, hopefully helped Level-5 get by for the year.

Here's hoping we'll be hearing more from them sometime soon...

Hasn't it been out for several years in Japan? Like, longer then it has been out in English by a considerable amount?

That's... fairly impressive, honestly. I can kind of understand why (ACNH bringing more gamers who traditionally played handheld games to the Switch), but still... That implies the brand has more of a presence nowadays then I would have expected lol.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hasn't it been out for several years in Japan? Like, longer then it has been out in English by a considerable amount?

That's... fairly impressive, honestly. I can kind of understand why (ACNH bringing more gamers who traditionally played handheld games to the Switch), but still... That implies the brand has more of a presence nowadays then I would have expected lol.
If I recall, they did do some stay at home campaign sale for COVID earlier in the year (But then again, so did Nintendo and a few other companies I believe), but even then, that only lasted for about a month or so if I recall, so unless everything else did significantly worse that year, still pretty impressive that the game did so well throughout the whole year that it got into the top 30 best digital sales..

All in all, its good that more people got to play the Layton games last year, so hopefully that will encourage Level-5 to continue the series, or at least bring over the HD ports to the Switch, I'd imagine they would sell a whole lot better on Switch, knowing how well the Layton series resonates with Nintendo fans and the success of Clubhouse games and Brain Age.

MattX20

Smash Hero
If I recall, they did do some stay at home campaign sale for COVID earlier in the year (But then again, so did Nintendo and a few other companies I believe), but even then, that only lasted for about a month or so if I recall, so unless everything else did significantly worse that year, still pretty impressive that the game did so well throughout the whole year that it got into the top 30 best digital sales..

All in all, its good that more people got to play the Layton games last year, so hopefully that will encourage Level-5 to continue the series, or at least bring over the HD ports to the Switch, I'd imagine they would sell a whole lot better on Switch, knowing how well the Layton series resonates with Nintendo fans and the success of Clubhouse games and Brain Age.
Let's just hope that even with the closures of Western studios, that Level 5 can fully recover

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Happy 14th anniversary Laytonites!
Today is the day when Professor Layton and Curious Village first came out in Japan 14 years ago.

9369.png

Time really flies. Only one more year left for the series 15th anniversary, you think L5 will do anything for it next year?

They also released a couple Layton costumes for that one human Yo-Kai Watch spin off game recently so that's nice too.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Today is the day when Professor Layton and Curious Village first came out in Japan 14 years ago.

View attachment 303155

Time really flies. Only one more year left for the series 15th anniversary, you think L5 will do anything for it next year?

They also released a couple Layton costumes for that one human Yo-Kai Watch spin off game recently so that's nice too.
And I thought the bird in the top hat was odd

Funny how time flies I can still remember that holiday when I got the first game

I even recreated one of the puzzles for my family

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

View attachment 303155

Happy 14th anniversary. I may not have played as many Layton games as I have Ace Attorney (3 Layton games if you include the Phoenix Wright crossover), but it's always nice to acknowledge a good series

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
remind me how many hd versions have we had?
Four, the original trilogy and Layton's Mystery Journey

It remains to be seen if the prequels will be getting the HD treatment as well.

Speaking of the prequels, Level-5 did a sale for their 3DS library in Japan as well fairly recently, on the eShop at least. Don't know if they did one outside of Japan though...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Four, the original trilogy and Layton's Mystery Journey

It remains to be seen if the prequels will be getting the HD treatment as well.

Speaking of the prequels, Level-5 did a sale for their 3DS library in Japan as well fairly recently, on the eShop at least. Don't know if they did one outside of Japan though...
HD original trilogy collection for the 15th next year perhaps

amageish

Smash Master
I was about to say "Wow, there's been a lot of anniversaries lately," then I remembered that every year has an anniversary if don't ignore numbers that don't end with 5 or 0 (I know that sentence had a triple negative in it; hopefully it makes it sense).

Well, happy Layton anniversary nonetheless! Hopefully Layton gets some content in the coming years...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I was about to say "Wow, there's been a lot of anniversaries lately," then I remembered that every year has an anniversary if don't ignore numbers that don't end with 5 or 0 (I know that sentence had a triple negative in it; hopefully it makes it sense).

Well, happy Layton anniversary nonetheless! Hopefully Layton gets some content in the coming years...
The 5 and 0 double-digit ones tend to be more significant milestones, which is why I added that next year will be the series 15th anniversary, which hopefully they will do something interesting for it next year. Even if its just Switch ports of the HD mobile rereleases.

Maybe if Last Specter gets an HD port sometime this year, they might package the entire DS library as a collection for the Switch next year and then make it a limited time release, who knows..

Well like I said, Layton got some costumes for that one weird human Yo-Kai Watch spin off game recently this year (along with a bunch of other L5 properties) sooo, It's a start I suppose...

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Figured I'd drop the news here that a Nintendo Direct has just been announced!

Yes, that's right, Directs are officially back! This one will even be a full-length one at approximately 50 minutes!

Looks like we are even getting Smash Ultimate news, so it's pretty likely the next DLC fighter will be announced.

Would be amazing if Professor Layton turns out to be the next fighter, but I'm not getting my hopes since it could be just about anyone at this point.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Figured I'd drop the news here that a Nintendo Direct has just been announced!

Yes, that's right, Directs are officially back! This one will even be a full-length one at approximately 50 minutes!

Looks like we were even getting Smash Ultimate news, so it's pretty likely the next DLC fighter would be announced.

Would be amazing if Professor Layton turns out to be the next fighter, but I'm not getting my hopes since it could be just about anyone at this point.
Imagine if they revealed Layton literally a couple day's after his anniversary.

Haha wouldn't that be a funny coincidence? Too good to be true.

sigh... :urg:

Well its good to finally see another Direct again.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
If it's for the first half of 2021, I imagine quite a few
Yeah, same... It's just a bit surprising to me when we've had a lot of partner showcases last year, many of which had announcements for Q1/2 of this year, and plenty of big studios don't appear to have been saving anything for a Direct. I mean, Crash 4 on Switch was just announced last week. Had that been saved for now, people would likely be calling it a Direct Highlight...

shrugs

We'll see what happens!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
i dont think weve ever been driven into a frenzy in this thread
Closest thing was probably that time when Sakurai made that one vague tweet and some rumours thrown in the mix only for us to be greeted by.. a different professor in the end.... :ultbyleth:

Though apparently a lot of important anniversaries are this month, or even within this week so I guess most people would probably spread their speculation around regardless.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Closest thing was probably that time when Sakurai made that one vague tweet and some rumours thrown in the mix only for us to be greeted by.. a different professor in the end.... :ultbyleth:

Though apparently a lot of important anniversaries are this month, or even within this week so I guess most people would probably spread their speculation around regardless...
Exactly, speculation is going to be a lot more focused after today's direct.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Given the massive wave of 3rd party guests that ult dlc has been it figures the only one I remotely care about(after megaman) isn't even seen as in the running. While layton's and level-5's future doesn't look to bright right now I would still kill to see layton make it in to smash somehow, just to hear his dialogue. The Curious Village was a very special game for me and though I never felt they truly recaptured the magic of his debut I still love the series and hope things turn out for the best. Who knows Level-5 could end up filling the SNK slot this time around and take us by suprise.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Given the massive wave of 3rd party guests that ult dlc has been it figures the only one I remotely care about(after megaman) isn't even seen as in the running. While layton's and level-5's future doesn't look to bright right now I would still kill to see layton make it in to smash somehow, just to hear his dialogue. The Curious Village was a very special game for me and though I never felt they truly recaptured the magic of his debut I still love the series and hope things turn out for the best. Who knows Level-5 could end up filling the SNK slot this time around and take us by suprise.
It's not impossible to see another unexpected 3rd party reveal like that

Top Bottom