• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

MattX20

Smash Hero
At this point, a Mii Fighter costume for Layton would be better than nothing if he doesn't get the playable character spot

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...britishness_and_finding_the_right_genre_label

In this interview with developers for a British indie game, one of them mentioned liking having played Katrielle's game.
Oh that's quite sweet to hear, I haven't heard of the game myself, probably will have to look further into.

At this point, a Mii Fighter costume for Layton would be better than nothing if he doesn't get the playable character spot
At the rate Level-5 is currently going, even a spirit event would be appreciated..

Would hate to see them end up being completely absent from the game by the time DLC support is over..

Closest thing they have right now is :ulthero2: and even then, their not even credited anywhere for his inclusion, which is kinda sad imo...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
They blew all their money in turning every new game into a multimedia franchise.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go sit in this corner and weep that they never really did this with the Layton series until LMJ came along, long past the series prime... (I mean, there was Eternal Diva I guess but still...) Would have loved an anime for the original series... :drsad:

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
sometimes i wonder if level-5 blew all their money on the licences for those cameos
I'm guessing Yokai Watch taught them the real money is to made off of merch/franchising, with them forgetting then Yokai Watch was full of cute monsters while a lot of their other IPs just... don't sell the plush toys as much.

Edit: ninja'd

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Level-5's been going the whole multimedia franchising approach since Inazuma Eleven. Yo-Kai Watch's surprising success in Japan probably perpetuated it even further though, to the point they started counting their chickens before they hatch and franchise every new IP they come up with before seeing first how well they do.

They probably would have done the same with the Layton series if it wasn't their first self published IP and had they predicted its success sooner, but it probably also wasn't a franchise they expected to blow up as it did initially. I mean, they where trying to use the voice actors and the quirky character designs as the main selling point over the actual game itself initially until NoE stepped in after all...

And yeah, Yo-Kai Watch just overall lends itself better with merchandising due to all the cute monster design's they can sell, It's pretty much Pokemon's main money maker as well over even the games and anime.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Level-5's been going the whole multimedia franchising approach since Inazuma Eleven. Yo-Kai Watch's surprising success in Japan probably perpetuated it even further though, to the point they started counting their chickens before they hatch and franchise every new IP they come up with before seeing first how well they do.

They probably would have done the same with the Layton series if it wasn't their first self published IP and had they predicted its success sooner, but it probably also wasn't a franchise they expected to blow up as it did initially. I mean, they where trying to use the voice actors and the quirky character designs as the main selling point over the actual game itself initially until NoE stepped in after all...

And yeah, Yo-Kai Watch just overall lends itself better with merchandising due to all the cute monster design's they can sell, It's pretty much Pokemon's main money maker as well over even the games and anime.
Meanwhile, Hino messed up a golden opportunity on the licensing front when he got a deal for a Gundam game, which he wanted turned into an anime. Not only did said game (released as two versions) sell poorly by coming out at the same time as Project DIVA, but the anime's story was so mishandled that it was rumored for a while that Hino wasn't even around for the staff meetings of its production.

Level-5 would be better off without Hino.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Meanwhile, Hino messed up a golden opportunity on the licensing front when he got a deal for a Gundam game, which he wanted turned into an anime. Not only did said game (released as two versions) sell poorly by coming out at the same time as Project DIVA, but the anime's story was so mishandled that it was rumored for a while that Hino wasn't even around for the staff meetings of its production.

Level-5 would be better off without Hino.
you really dont like him huh?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
you really dont like him huh?
Tbf, he kind of made a lot of silly decisions throughout the course of his company's history, like I said, even all the way back since the inception of the Layton series. Probably even before that and how Dark Cloud is currently stuck in limbo with Level-5 and Sony...

Guy is very ambitious and has a lot of interesting idea's, I'll give him that, but he really doesn't know how to properly run a company...

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The Voice File Theory would make sense for a Layton/Luke pair fighter, or just Layton with a Katrielle skin.

I am very much reaching here though.
Don't pair fighters share the same voice files like Banjo & Kazooie and Ice Climbers, no?

I'm not too familiar with the current theory, but if its something really within the game's files, then there might be at least one alt character within the remaining 4 fighters. (Either that, or another multi alt character and most of the rest are mute...)

How this would affect Layton though, well if he's teamed up with Luke or whoever, he'll probably just share the sound files with him.
I suppose Katrielle might be possible as a potential alt though, depending on how Layton gets modelled.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Seeing how character's code names aren't seen until after the fact for the current pass, I doubt the voice files will be of much help. Even the character slots that were found over a year ago in WOL didn't have :ulthero: and :ultbanjokazooie: fill up any of them in the end.

Listing potential characters with potential alts having separate voices makes it difficult to narrow things down.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
just to clarify, the american branch that was shutting down, was there a eurpoean version thats shutting down too? or was it always someone else eho did the localization for here?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
just to clarify, the american branch that was shutting down, was there a eurpoean version thats shutting down too? or was it always someone else eho did the localization for here?
I don't know if there was a European Branch, I think the American one handled both, though from what I've heard, it apparently mostly handled the Western marketing and advice department or something along those lines while the Japanese branch still handled the main localization.

The way the Western branch was handled was kinda weird so I suppose it wasn't too surprising that it eventually got shut down..

It remains to be seen what will happen for Level-5's western future, hopefully they will eventually decide to go back and have a publisher like Nintendo and Namco handle their western releases again. I think that's probably their best option right now.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't know if there was a European Branch, I think the American one handled both, though from what I've heard, it apparently mostly handled the Western marketing and advice department or something along those lines while the Japanese branch still handled the main localization.

The way the Western branch was handled was kinda weird so I suppose it wasn't too surprising that it eventually got shut down..

It remains to be seen what will happen for Level-5's western future, hopefully they will eventually decide to go back and have a publisher like Nintendo and Namco handle their western releases again. I think that's probably their best option right now.
i was wondering cause from what i recall there are a few puzzles that are different in the uk version from the us and not just with differences in terms of language. although thinking about it i dont think there were many differences with the other level-5 games

i do hope nintendo or namco help them out id hate to have to say good bye to layton and yo-kai watch

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
i was wondering cause from what i recall there are a few puzzles that are different in the uk version from the us and not just with differences in terms of language. although thinking about it i dont think there were many differences with the other level-5 games

i do hope nintendo or namco help them out id hate to have to say good bye to layton and yo-kai watch
I think they handle the regional differences internally, I mean, they also had to redo the artwork on a number of puzzles as well based on regions, even down to what certain puzzle lads/lasses wear depending on the regional cultures etc.

I think the Layton Twitter brought that detail up at one point.

Speaking of little details, I'm unironically mind blown that I never noticed this after all my years of playing the Layton games, especially Lost Future...

This is some Super Mario 64 levels deepest lore right there...

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I think they handle the regional differences internally, I mean, they also had to redo the artwork on a number of puzzles as well based on regions, even down to what certain puzzle lads/lasses wear depending on the regional cultures etc.

Speaking of little details, I'm unironically mind blown that I never noticed this after all my years of playing the Layton games, especially Lost Future...

Huh, I missed that detail of the apple

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

there was an apple?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
There is always an apple in Layton's office, the prize diorama they gave away for the art contest and even in the unused office from the Ace Attorney crossover had one.
Level-5's always been the sticklers for details like that.

Things like that are neat little world building details that help to add charm, there are all sorts of neat little easter eggs and secrets hidden in Layton's office throughout the series.

Another detail is that Layton's office looked different between the events of the prequels and the original trilogy. Can't recall if the same happened during the time of LMJ though...

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Happy Halloween!

First image made by same artist as embedded tweet.
Always nice to see fanart of the Azran Legacy heroes together!

The second pic of Desmond's costume with the monocle was pretty cool considering spoilers.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So here's an interview in regards to what Level-5's currently up to.
I guess their currently prioritizing this Manga-5 site they opened up recently, not sure what this may mean in the grand scheme of things, but hopefully it will help them gain a bit more revenue to stay afloat or something...

Top Bottom