• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah, I guess the question is just what kind of characters they're interested in for the final four. If they focus on third parties with good relationships with Nintendo and no content in Smash, then I imagine Level-5 has to be in the top 4. If they go back and fourth between first parties, third parties in the game, and third parties not in the game... then we may have an issue.

I guess we should also be bracing for potential costuming at any point.

Sakurai's definitely leaving it vague about how the selection process works, which is probably a win-win for him and Nintendo. I don't think they gain much from us knowing the selection process beyond us complaining louder haha... 😅
Yeah I guess only time will tell.

Considering what happened with Banjo, we might get a random assortment of Mii costumes for this one again with probably two more returning ones from Smash 4 plus a premium costume. This pack will supposedly have 6 Mii costumes in store so lets brace ourselves I guess...

veeflames

Smash Rookie
Soooo uhh....

Where we at, Layton lads?
Haha, I remain hopeful. I'm not the biggest Minecraft fan (or even player), but I actually don't have qualms about Steve's inclusion in Smash. I've already accepted that Nintendo and Samurai will do whatever they want with their game. As long as they don't add fairly new fad characters like John from Fortnite or Fall Guy #3527, then at this point there's nothing I can do but appreciate Sakurai's work.

Well... I'd still appreciate his work if those two were ever added, but you get my point.

Anyhoo, with Professor Layton... I'm sorta worried. Steve, the star of one of the biggest phenomenons in gaming history, was met with a lot of backlash (maybe that was just the loud ones speaking pretty loud, but it was very well present). Professor Layton is certainly niche compared to Steve, so I'm worried that if Layton is revealed next instead of Crash, Waluigi, or Bandana Dre, the usually, totally rational Smash fans will actually riot. That'd just be very sad to witness as someone who patiently waited for Layton to be in Smash.

But yet, I remain hopeful. I'm not even hoping for much, right? We will see.

Also, I've been thinking of picking up Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney... how is the game compared to the traditional PL games?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Haha, I remain hopeful. I'm not the biggest Minecraft fan (or even player), but I actually don't have qualms about Steve's inclusion in Smash. I've already accepted that Nintendo and Samurai will do whatever they want with their game. As long as they don't add fairly new fad characters like John from Fortnite or Fall Guy #3527, then at this point there's nothing I can do but appreciate Sakurai's work.

Well... I'd still appreciate his work if those two were ever added, but you get my point.

Anyhoo, with Professor Layton... I'm sorta worried. Steve, the star of one of the biggest phenomenons in gaming history, was met with a lot of backlash (maybe that was just the loud ones speaking pretty loud, but it was very well present). Professor Layton is certainly niche compared to Steve, so I'm worried that if Layton is revealed next instead of Crash, Waluigi, or Bandana Dre, the usually, totally rational Smash fans will actually riot. That'd just be very sad to witness as someone who patiently waited for Layton to be in Smash.

But yet, I remain hopeful. I'm not even hoping for much, right? We will see.

Also, I've been thinking of picking up Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney... how is the game compared to the traditional PL games?
Yeah that makes sense. Layton is kinda close to Minecraft (as well as Bayonetta) as far as year of origin goes so hopefully Sakurai would be more willing to pursue more third parties who had their start in the 2000's, even though I do kind of have this lingering feeling that Smash will continue to mostly prioritize characters from the 80's, 90's and 2010's...

The 2000's has always been stuck in this weird limbo where its neither old enough to be considered "nostalgic" or new enough to be considered "modern", which is, quite unfortunate...

As for how Layton would be received, I'd imagine he would be received about the same as Terry was at worst, maybe some hardcore Phoenix fans may throw a bit of a stink if he happens to make it in before him, as some of them apparently deem him as some sort of "obstacle" for the character, even though they aren't owned by the same company and Sakurai has overlapped game genre's before but I digress...

For the most part though, I think most would understand his inclusion as being one of the biggest faces of the DS era as well as being one of Level-5's main mascots, popular in Europe and female audiences. So if there are any contentions, I'd imagine most people would probably get over it and move on over time.

Unless he's the last character reveal...
May the Azran have mercy on whoever is fighter 11....

As for the crossover, the puzzles are a bit easier than your average Layton game (Presumably to ease in AA fans) but its still quite a fun ride, go for it if you're interested.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I'm not too worried about reactions to Layton, honestly. I think he has enough things going for him most parts of the fanbase would be content. Want only popular characters? He had a vocal fanbase during the ballot era, even if its quieter now. Want Smash to stick to Nintendo characters? He's third-party, but was so Nintendo-focused during the DS era that you'd be forgiven for thinking he's first-party. Want big third-parties? He's fairly big...

Obviously I don't think he'd please everyone - and I expect the fanbase to get increasingly hard to please as the pass draws to a close, especially as some of the salty reactions this time were more "I just want my character in so we can stop fighting about if they'll be in" and less "I don't want Steve in" - but I feel like he has enough going for him that the main reaction would end up being "Eh, sure I guess" at worst.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Overall though, I don't think any character would truly please everyone anyway, especially as we get closer to the finish line and tensions rise as amageish amageish said.

Smash Ultimate is also the biggest crossover of all time and who knows if we will get anything like it again, so people are naturally going to raise their expectations the closer the pass comes to an end.

When even the character from the literal best selling game of all time has some displeased folks for his inclusion, its best to avoid it and not let these types of individuals rain on your parade. Just make the most of it with those who are hyped for your character.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
When even the character from the literal best selling game of all time has some displeased folks for his inclusion, its best to avoid it and not let these types of individuals rain on your parade. Just make the most of it with those who are hyped for your character.
hey we're not all trying to bring everyone down

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
hey we're not all trying to bring everyone down
Certainly, you're free to criticize any inclusion you see fit. After all, we all have our own opinions and whatnot.

Just saying that you should just go celebrate with the folks that are as happy as you are if your favourite character makes it in and not worry too much about what others may think.

Besides, I'm sure if Layton ever makes it in, that a lot of fans will start to come out of the woodworks to share their excitement for the character. The fandom's just been in a lull because Level-5 themselves haven't really taken good care to maintain it in recent years...

If Level-5 where to ever announce a brand new entry for the series (especially if it features Hershel again...), I'm sure that would revitalize the fandom again.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Certainly, you're free to criticize any inclusion you see fit. After all, we all have our own opinions and whatnot.

Just saying that you should just go celebrate with the folks that are as happy as you are if your favourite character makes it in and not worry too much about what others may think.

Besides, I'm sure if Layton ever makes it in, that a lot of fans will start to come out of the woodworks to share their excitement for the character. The fandom's just been in a lull because Level-5 themselves haven't really taken good care to maintain it in recent years...

If Level-5 where to ever announce a brand new entry for the series (especially if it features Hershel again...), I'm sure that would revitalize the fandom again.
well im sure we'll all be reacting to laytons inclusion in an appropriate manner

if i can find enough pics with yes written on them

veeflames

Smash Rookie
Yeah that makes sense. Layton is kinda close to Minecraft (as well as Bayonetta) as far as year of origin goes so hopefully Sakurai would be more willing to pursue more third parties who had their start in the 2000's, even though I do kind of have this lingering feeling that Smash will continue to mostly prioritize characters from the 80's, 90's and 2010's...

The 2000's has always been stuck in this weird limbo where its neither old enough to be considered "nostalgic" or new enough to be considered "modern", which is, quite unfortunate...

As for how Layton would be received, I'd imagine he would be received about the same as Terry was at worst, maybe some hardcore Phoenix fans may throw a bit of a stink if he happens to make it in before him, as some of them apparently deem him as some sort of "obstacle" for the character, even though they aren't owned by the same company and Sakurai has overlapped game genre's before but I digress...

For the most part though, I think most would understand his inclusion as being one of the biggest faces of the DS era as well as being one of Level-5's main mascots, popular in Europe and female audiences. So if there are any contentions, I'd imagine most people would probably get over it and move on over time.

Unless he's the last character reveal...
May the Azran have mercy on whoever is fighter 11....

As for the crossover, the puzzles are a bit easier than your average Layton game (Presumably to ease in AA fans) but its still quite a fun ride, go for it if you're interested.
I'd imagine there's going to be a lot of "literally who" comments as based on polls I've seen, if Layton is even present he's almost always a bit down the list. I don't think it's going to be a Byleth situation, but as Layton isn't really up there in terms of most popular wanted fighters... well.

Heh, let's just hope that there's not a whole lot of downers with the inevitable Layton reveal. There was this YouTuber that literally went on this childish rant calling people who wanted Steve in "clinically ill" and "failing their parents." That should be the bottom of the barrel in terms of character reveals, so as long as the backlash doesn't get to that level, I'll actually be satisfied.

Also, due to the Among Us x Ace Attorney memes, I've really been picking up interest in Ace Attorney.. and then I remembered the PL x AA crossover exists. I've heard decent things about it and just wanted to get more opinions here. I think it'll be a good way for me to get introduced into the world of Phoenix Wright... maybe.

Thanks. I'll pick it up soon.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd imagine there's going to be a lot of "literally who" comments as based on polls I've seen, if Layton is even present he's almost always a bit down the list. I don't think it's going to be a Byleth situation, but as Layton isn't really up there in terms of most popular wanted fighters... well.

Heh, let's just hope that there's not a whole lot of downers with the inevitable Layton reveal. There was this YouTuber that literally went on this childish rant calling people who wanted Steve in "clinically ill" and "failing their parents." That should be the bottom of the barrel in terms of character reveals, so as long as the backlash doesn't get to that level, I'll actually be satisfied.

Also, due to the Among Us x Ace Attorney memes, I've really been picking up interest in Ace Attorney.. and then I remembered the PL x AA crossover exists. I've heard decent things about it and just wanted to get more opinions here. I think it'll be a good way for me to get introduced into the world of Phoenix Wright... maybe.

Thanks. I'll pick it up soon.
Hmm from the polls I've seen, he usually tends to do fairly well, as in, he's usually somewhere within the top 50's and all, which is pretty good and all, maybe not top 10 tier but still noticeable. As far as Level-5 characters go, he's definitely the most popular request, which should hopefully bode well for him if Nintendo and Sakurai are specifically looking for a character from that company.

You mean Shokio? Don't know much about the guy, but he apparently is quite infamous within the Smash community, especially with Ridley fans, so I wouldn't pay him too much mind. Like I said, at worst he'd probably be given a "who?" but much like Isabelle and Terry, most fans would probably get used to him fairly quickly and move on.

Oh I see, in that case, I'd probably recommend starting with the first Ace Attorney and work your way up from there, pretty much like the Layton series.
While the crossover is designed to showcase both franchises to both fans who may be unfamiliar with the other, you might enjoy it a lot more if you're at least a little familiar with both franchises. Or at least the first three games respectively since that's what the crossover focuses on the most (in terms of references and all)

I wish you lots of fun though!

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Crickets still chirping for any Level-5 content...

Not sure if we are incredibly lucky or we just have a ticking time bomb that for some reason is just taking too long to go off....
I'm really hoping we get something at the end of this ride, be it a spirit, mii costume, or character. Obviously the latter is the most preferable, but with four slots left I'm getting a bit "I'd just like a participation prize to acknowledge Level-5 exists."

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm really hoping we get something at the end of this ride, be it a spirit, mii costume, or character. Obviously the latter is the most preferable, but with four slots left I'm getting a bit "I'd just like a participation prize to acknowledge Level-5 exists."
Yeah with Travis in, Grasshopper Manufacture has joined in as well.
That really leaves us with Level-5 and Natsume I think? and probably some other Japanese companies that haven't received any acknowledgement yet that slipped my mind? (As well as the Touhou guy)

There are apparently rumours for a Koei Tecmo character floating around (For a while now I think) and there are four spots left so yeah, we're in a pretty tight spot right now...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah with Travis in, Grasshopper Manufacture has joined in as well.
That really leaves us with Level-5 and Natsume I think? and probably some other Japanese companies that haven't received any acknowledgement yet that slipped my mind? (As well as the Touhou guy)

There are apparently rumours for a Koei Tecmo character floating around (For a while now I think) and there are four spots left so yeah, we're in a pretty tight spot right now...
Very true! It is nice to see Travis in in some form... I get why people are disappointed, but I think we need to start accepting Mii Costumes as better then not being in Smash...

I mean, Natsume is technically an American company now and seems kind of unlikely for a rep to me, unless they were to re-unite with Marvelous as Nintendo really wants Story of Seasons to use the original translation in Smash... which I kind of doubt Marvelous would be thrilled to do...

Otherwise, Level-5 is definitely the most suspect complete absence to me. Spike Chunsoft is also completely missing in spite of doing the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games, but Danganronpa or Shiren the Wanderer seems easily to costume away at some point if they really needed a rep (which I'd be fine with, in spite of my biases). Otherwise the only companies I can think of who have directly made Nintendo games and have nothing in Smash are Brace Yourself Games (Cadence of Hyrule) and MAGES (the upcoming Famicom Detective remake), both of whom feel... less-then-probable. It'd be very funny to see reaction videos for Steins;Gate in Smash, but, uh, not betting on that one.

Otherwise, Koei Tecmo and Ubisoft both have made Nintendo games and now have content in Smash without playable characters. Koei has been rumored forever at this point, so it'll be interesting to see if that pans out and if it pans out with the ninja everyone expects. Ubisoft is in a weird position and I honestly don't know how to evaluate them with Steve having been successfully snuck under our noses.

And if we count companies that have had Nintendo IP collabs in their games, then Bethesda and Marvelous have had Nintendo collabs and only have Mii-Costumes/Spirits in Smash, while Activation-Blizzard and Warner Bros Games both have nothing in Smash...

This, uh, is a list of companies that is notably more then four... and I kind of doubt we'd be getting four third parties from new companies... and this is only from companies that came to me off of the top of my head.

We, uh, may have some competition, but I do still feel like Level-5 and Koei are the biggest "So, uh, why don't they have content in Smash based on their original IPs?" at least?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Very true! It is nice to see Travis in in some form... I get why people are disappointed, but I think we need to start accepting Mii Costumes as better then not being in Smash...

I mean, Natsume is technically an American company now and seems kind of unlikely for a rep to me, unless they were to re-unite with Marvelous as Nintendo really wants Story of Seasons to use the original translation in Smash... which I kind of doubt Marvelous would be thrilled to do...

Otherwise, Level-5 is definitely the most suspect complete absence to me. Spike Chunsoft is also completely missing in spite of doing the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games, but Danganronpa or Shiren the Wanderer seems easily to costume away at some point if they really needed a rep (which I'd be fine with, in spite of my biases). Otherwise the only companies I can think of who have directly made Nintendo games and have nothing in Smash are Brace Yourself Games (Cadence of Hyrule) and MAGES (the upcoming Famicom Detective remake), both of whom feel... less-then-probable. It'd be very funny to see reaction videos for Steins;Gate in Smash, but, uh, not betting on that one.

Otherwise, Koei Tecmo and Ubisoft both have made Nintendo games and now have content in Smash without playable characters. Koei has been rumored forever at this point, so it'll be interesting to see if that pans out and if it pans out with the ninja everyone expects. Ubisoft is in a weird position and I honestly don't know how to evaluate them with Steve having been successfully snuck under our noses.

And if we count companies that have had Nintendo IP collabs in their games, then Bethesda and Marvelous have had Nintendo collabs and only have Mii-Costumes/Spirits in Smash, while Activation-Blizzard and Warner Bros Games both have nothing in Smash...

This, uh, is a list of companies that is notably more then four... and I kind of doubt we'd be getting four third parties from new companies... and this is only from companies that came to me off of the top of my head.

We, uh, may have some competition, but I do still feel like Level-5 and Koei are the biggest "So, uh, why don't they have content in Smash based on their original IPs?" at least?
Its not fun tho, but yeah, I'm fully embracing the day that Layton may be revealed as a Mii costume (or Spirit event, whichever comes first) rather that then seeing the series, or even their entire owners, receive zero acknowledgement...

Oh is that so? I didn't know that, or maybe I forgot... I wonder whatever happened to the Medabots franchise then...

Oh yeah, I forgot about Spike Chunsoft, Danganrompa was another franchise Sakurai acknowledged in one of his Famitsu Columns I believe, so where probably bound to see something from it in Smash sooner or later I suppose.

I suppose that probably would leave Koei Tecmo and Ubisoft as probably the most suspicious companies, although for the latter I'd wonder why they didn't save the Rabbids and Altair costumes for their DLC instead of putting it with Byleth but I digress...

This all isn't even mentioning Capcom, Namco and probably even Square double dipping so yeah, quite the uphill battle but I guess we'll see what will come of it.

Like you said, out of all companies, Koei Tecmo and Level-5 are probably the most suspect as far as notable absences go, so I guess only time will tell what might happen in the future...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Its not fun tho, but yeah, I'm fully embracing the day that Layton may be revealed as a Mii costume (or Spirit event, whichever comes first) rather that then seeing the series, or even their entire owners, receive zero acknowledgement...

Oh is that so? I didn't know that, or maybe I forgot... I wonder whatever happened to the Medabots franchise then...

Oh yeah, I forgot about Spike Chunsoft, Danganrompa was another franchise Sakurai acknowledged in one of his Famitsu Columns I believe, so where probably bound to see something from it in Smash sooner or later I suppose.

I suppose that probably would leave Koei Tecmo and Ubisoft as probably the most suspicious companies, although for the latter I'd wonder why they didn't save the Rabbids and Altair costumes for their DLC instead of putting it with Byleth but I digress...

This all isn't even mentioning Capcom, Namco and probably even Square double dipping so yeah, quite the uphill battle but I guess we'll see what will come of it.

Like you said, out of all companies, Koei Tecmo and Level-5 are probably the most suspect as far as notable absences go, so I guess only time will tell what might happen in the future...
It's definitely less exciting, but it's still something at least... I do miss the Mii Costumes that came with music though. It'd be a much sweeter pill to swallow if we could get a Layton costume with his theme...

It's owned by Atari now, apparently. Which is also an American company, apparently??? I missed that memo.

Yeah, Sakurai is a known DR fan, though obviously he "doesn't just pick [his] personal favourties." Seems easy enough to just make a Monokuma hat and give someone Komaru's megaphone hacking gun from the spin-off game for a gunner costume... Not that I'd object to a playable character, of course.

I don't really have an explanation for the Mii Costume thing either; it'd just be another pattern destroyed if it happened... Ubisoft does at least have their own IPs in Smash though, versus Koei just having the co-owned with Nintendo things - and even then not all of them with their Warriors games having no representation.

Yuuuuuuuup. And we still got plenty of first parties and potential wildcards, so... um... This is getting harder and harder to predict...

We'll see indeed! Could be a good time to be a Layton fan. Could be a fine time to be one. We could find ourselves sitting here in Winter 2021 going "Wow, they actually didn't include Level-5 at all" which... would be very sad.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's definitely less exciting, but it's still something at least... I do miss the Mii Costumes that came with music though. It'd be a much sweeter pill to swallow if we could get a Layton costume with his theme...

It's owned by Atari now, apparently. Which is also an American company, apparently??? I missed that memo.

Yeah, Sakurai is a known DR fan, though obviously he "doesn't just pick [his] personal favourties." Seems easy enough to just make a Monokuma hat and give someone Komaru's megaphone hacking gun from the spin-off game for a gunner costume... Not that I'd object to a playable character, of course.

I don't really have an explanation for the Mii Costume thing either; it'd just be another pattern destroyed if it happened... Ubisoft does at least have their own IPs in Smash though, versus Koei just having the co-owned with Nintendo things - and even then not all of them with their Warriors games having no representation.

Yuuuuuuuup. And we still got plenty of first parties and potential wildcards, so... um... This is getting harder and harder to predict...

We'll see indeed! Could be a good time to be a Layton fan. Could be a fine time to be one. We could find ourselves sitting here in Winter 2021 going "Wow, they actually didn't include Level-5 at all" which... would be very sad.
Yeah I kinda doubt a Layton mii would come with a song, unfortunately. At least it would look kinda accurate tho, asides from the oversized head but still...

Oh, Atari of all companies? That's quite interesting, might want to look further into that at some point.

Considering its seemingly the suits at Nintendo calling all the shots, I suppose it depends on how much of a breathing room Sakurai has to make his choices.
Like do they give him a choice within a certain lineup of a specific company, or are there specific series their looking for? Do the companies themselves have any say of which character specifically they'd rather see him go for? I guess its a bit of a case by case type of thing, since he seemingly had more freedom of choice for the ARMS and Dragon Quest fighters.

I suppose it depends, though the floating limbs the Minecraft costumes have, might also potentially point to Rayman receiving a mii costume at some point down the line, I guess its one of those things we'd just have to wait and see.

And yeah, those as well. I might potentially just throw in the towel for Layton if he isn't FP10 as Ninty would probably end up using FP11 for some promotional character again, and even then, knowing the Smash community, I wouldn't want him to be the centre of vitriol if he ends up being the final fighter for this game, unless Sakurai somehow announces a third fighters pass by that point...

We could find ourselves sitting here in Winter 2021 going "Wow, they actually didn't include Level-5 at all" which... would be very sad.
urk Lets hope that day never comes... Hopefully they will at least receive a spirit event at some point....

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Seeing how tardy Level-5 are with things, I could easily see them barely miss the deadline for Ultimate's content support ending on December 2021. 🧐

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Seeing how tardy Level-5 are with things, I could easily see them barely miss the deadline for Ultimate's content support ending on December 2021. 🧐
How much would that effect them in terms of Smash though?

I mean, I know they've been seemingly living in their own world the past few years, only just recently opening up a little to the Games industry again.
But surely that wouldn't affect their chances of at least receiving any spirits or mii costumes, no?

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
How much would that effect them in terms of Smash though?

I mean, I know they've been seemingly living in their own world the past few years, only just recently opening up a little to the Games industry again. But surely that wouldn't affect their chances of at least receiving any spirits or mii costumes, no?
Exactly, even if they don't make the cut for the playable roster, I refuse to believe that they would turn down Mii Costumes or even spirits

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah I kinda doubt a Layton mii would come with a song, unfortunately. At least it would look kinda accurate tho, asides from the oversized head but still...

Oh, Atari of all companies? That's quite interesting, might want to look further into that at some point.

Considering its seemingly the suits at Nintendo calling all the shots, I suppose it depends on how much of a breathing room Sakurai has to make his choices.
Like do they give him a choice within a certain lineup of a specific company, or are there specific series their looking for? Do the companies themselves have any say of which character specifically they'd rather see him go for? I guess its a bit of a case by case type of thing, since he seemingly had more freedom of choice for the ARMS and Dragon Quest fighters.

I suppose it depends, though the floating limbs the Minecraft costumes have, might also potentially point to Rayman receiving a mii costume at some point down the line, I guess its one of those things we'd just have to wait and see.

And yeah, those as well. I might potentially just throw in the towel for Layton if he isn't FP10 as Ninty would probably end up using FP11 for some promotional character again, and even then, knowing the Smash community, I wouldn't want him to be the centre of vitriol if he ends up being the final fighter for this game, unless Sakurai somehow announces a third fighters pass by that point...

urk Lets hope that day never comes... Hopefully they will at least receive a spirit event at some point....
I doubt it as well... I miss the song-included Mii Costumes, but I guess they didn't sell well enough to justify them? It's odd to me they did them twice then just stopped. Oh well...

Yeah, Natsume got divided up and part of it is merged in Atari now. Literally everything about copyright law and Natsume requires a flowchart to understand... I don't know it turned out like that either.

Hard to say! I believe the Dragon Quest fighter mentioned him talking with Nintendo about Slime vs Hero before going to Square to have Hero as the goal and Slime as a back-up, but that just raises more questions... I kind of doubt we'll ever truly know though.

Right, I hadn't considered those floating limbs. Ubisoft getting a second wave of costumes would be kind of sad in a "Sonic fans seeing Knuckles and assuming Shadow was in, then he's casually revealed as an AT without fanfare in the final presentation" hopes-die way, but it's better then nothing!

I'm going to avoid throwing in the towel until the end, but I agree that whoever is FP11 may be the most ****ed in terms of reactions of any character ever. Like, obviously we've had salt before, but we're getting a looooong time to raise expectations. I feel bad for whoever it is, promotional or not...

Agreed... Ideally the full 1-2 punch of spirit + costume Cuphead got, I suppose...

During the Sakurai Presents on Professor Layton, Sakurai announces how they will accurately represent Level-5's development cycles by adapting Layton in Smash into an anime. They will release said anime now with the DLC itself not coming out until ~2026.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Perhaps we’ll see a spirit event to tie in with an international release
I suppose Level-5's out of whack release schedules for Japan and the West may also factor in the troubles for a potential Spirit Event. Have they even released a Western trailer for Yo-Kai Watch 4 yet?

The only one that would work well is unironically the Layton series since I believe that's the only one Level-5 ever bothers to promote globally simultaneously...
But eh, asides from Lost Future HD on mobile, Level-5 hasn't really announced any new Layton games for the Switch yet, which may or may not change later this month, who knows I guess..

Exactly, even if they don't make the cut for the playable roster, I refuse to believe that they would turn down Mii Costumes or even spirits
Yeah nevermind Level-5 seemingly living in their own bubble lately, I'd still be very surprised if they ended up walking home empty handed...

I doubt it as well... I miss the song-included Mii Costumes, but I guess they didn't sell well enough to justify them? It's odd to me they did them twice then just stopped. Oh well...

Yeah, Natsume got divided up and part of it is merged in Atari now. Literally everything about copyright law and Natsume requires a flowchart to understand... I don't know it turned out like that either.

Hard to say! I believe the Dragon Quest fighter mentioned him talking with Nintendo about Slime vs Hero before going to Square to have Hero as the goal and Slime as a back-up, but that just raises more questions... I kind of doubt we'll ever truly know though.

Right, I hadn't considered those floating limbs. Ubisoft getting a second wave of costumes would be kind of sad in a "Sonic fans seeing Knuckles and assuming Shadow was in, then he's casually revealed as an AT without fanfare in the final presentation" hopes-die way, but it's better then nothing!

I'm going to avoid throwing in the towel until the end, but I agree that whoever is FP11 may be the most ****ed in terms of reactions of any character ever. Like, obviously we've had salt before, but we're getting a looooong time to raise expectations. I feel bad for whoever it is, promotional or not...

Agreed... Ideally the full 1-2 punch of spirit + costume Cuphead got, I suppose...

During the Sakurai Presents on Professor Layton, Sakurai announces how they will accurately represent Level-5's development cycles by adapting Layton in Smash into an anime. They will release said anime now with the DLC itself not coming out until ~2026.
Apparantly Fallout has a lot of licenced songs or something along those lines, so music with Vault Boy probably wasn't really an option.
A bit of a bummer that Bomberman didn't come with a song though, that would have been great.

Well that's odd, it sounds about as strange as that time I found out Level-5 apparently bought Comcept, aka Keiji Inafune and the Mighty number 9 guy's. Which, now that I'm thinking about it. We had this discussion a little while ago when Microsoft bought Bethesda, on the idea of Nintendo potentially buying Level-5, if that happened, Nintendo would have essentially owned Mighty Number 9 (Along with Layton, Yo-Kai Watch etc) which is... quite funny to think about, now that I'm thinking about it...

Ubisoft's been seemingly getting the short end of the stick since Smash Wii U with the Rayman trophies and all. Quite the unlucky company, I wouldn't mind seeing Rayman myself. Maybe one day.

Imagine Level-5 being so late to the party was intentional due to their long history when it comes to releasing their games overseas. Quite the big brain moment for Sakurai if that was the case...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Apparantly Fallout has a lot of licenced songs or something along those lines, so music with Vault Boy probably wasn't really an option.
A bit of a bummer that Bomberman didn't come with a song though, that would have been great.

Well that's odd, it sounds about as strange as that time I found out Level-5 apparently bought Comcept, aka Keiji Inafune and the Mighty number 9 guy's. Which, now that I'm thinking about it. We had this discussion a little while ago when Microsoft bought Bethesda, on the idea of Nintendo potentially buying Level-5, if that happened, Nintendo would have essentially owned Mighty Number 9 (Along with Layton, Yo-Kai Watch etc) which is... quite funny to think about, now that I'm thinking about it...

Ubisoft's been seemingly getting the short end of the stick since Smash Wii U with the Rayman trophies and all. Quite the unlucky company, I wouldn't mind seeing Rayman myself. Maybe one day.

Imagine Level-5 being so late to the party was intentional due to their long history when it comes to releasing their games overseas. Quite the big brain moment for Sakurai if that was the case...
True, Fallout's most famous for its use of jazz standards. And, as much as I love it, I understand why this theme for a fictional soda-themed theme park probably isn't Smash-ready...

Bomberman having a song would have been great, yeah... Or Travis. I guess we haven't managed music outside of western indie games...

I forgot they did that! And, yes, in the event Nintendo just bought-out Level-5, then it'd be very funny to see what happens with the Might Number 9 IP. It'd be weird for Nintendo to suddenly have access to an infamous Mega Man clone to play with...

Very true... They've been in Smash and leaked for Smash, but never have managed to be actually playable in Smash...

You know, now that you say that... I could see Layton being FP11 due to a conversation like this:

Nintendo: Hey, Level-5, we'd like to use Layton for Smash!
Level-5: Oh, that's perfect! We're making a Layton trilogy on Switch too, so the cross-promotion will be great.
Nintendo: Great!

Nintendo: Hey, Sakurai, Level-5 has approved use of Layton.
Sakurai: Cool. Shall we start making him then?
Nintendo: Well, um, they said they were doing a Layton trilogy... so... I'd just put him at the end of the pass and hopefully they'll have actually finished it by then...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I suppose Level-5's out of whack release schedules for Japan and the West may also factor in the troubles for a potential Spirit Event. Have they even released a Western trailer for Yo-Kai Watch 4 yet?
nope only that they are doing it. for all we know they might have back tracked on that idea

Yeah nevermind Level-5 seemingly living in their own bubble lately
arent we all?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So the remaining missing Mii costumes from Smash 4 are the Chocobo hat, Geno, Monster Hunter + Rathalos and Lloyd.

Assuming Layton makes it in, which one of these could you possibly see returning with him?

Considering Level-5 has had history with Square Enix, Capcom and Namco, I guess any of them is fair game...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So the remaining missing Mii costumes from Smash 4 are the Chocobo hat, Geno, Monster Hunter + Rathalos and Lloyd.

Assuming Layton makes it in, which one of these could you possibly see returning with him?

Considering Level-5 has had history with Square Enix, Capcom and Namco, I guess any of them is fair game...
hmm hard to say really, but i suppose both layton and FF crossed over into yo-kai watch so maybe chocobo hat

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Geno feels like the more "Layton-ish" of those characters, though I can't explain why. So I guess he'd be the best fit.

Otherwise, I guess it could be any of them, really. Lloyd could possibly be redundant if they also do a Ni No Kuni Mii alongside Layton, but that's the extent of my guess.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
hmm hard to say really, but i suppose both layton and FF crossed over into yo-kai watch so maybe chocobo hat
Yeah I thought the Chocobo hat as well, would be a pretty neat subtle little reference too.

Kinda like how Toon Link is unlocked in the Monster Hunter location in World of Light due to him being a costume in one of the Monster Hunter games (as well as being known as Cat-Eyed Link in Japan)

Asides from that, then perhaps Lloyd due to Level-5's RPG history and all...

Last edited:

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
Uh oh

I think if this turns out to be true, Layton's chances diminish significantly.

Of course, if a Level 5 rep had already been started, they're not going to stop making them, so we might get lucky. On the other hand, this could be why we haven't seen anything at all from Level 5 in the game already.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Uh oh

I think if this turns out to be true, Layton's chances diminish significantly.

Of course, if a Level 5 rep had already been started, they're not going to stop making them, so we might get lucky. On the other hand, this could be why we haven't seen anything at all from Level 5 in the game already.
In fairness, Sak considers characters if they got out of Japan in the first place, so he would still qualify.

The actual issue is that fan demand might just keep shrinking if Layton's regional awareness goes from small to infinitesimal.

At this point, I hope I'm wrong about Level-5 planning too slowly to the point that they'll miss the deadline for Ultimate's content support, even for a spirit event...:dk:

Top Bottom