• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh that's nice to hear.
The lack of proper marketing probably won't do the game much favours but hopefully it will at least do alright...

By the way, for those that may have had troubles acquiring the Floral Finesse outfit in LMJ Deluxe, Level-5 released a patch today that auto unlocks it for you.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
By the way, for those that may have had troubles acquiring the Floral Finesse outfit in LMJ Deluxe, Level-5 released a patch today that auto unlocks it for you.
Well, that's nice. A tad bit late, but nice... I am glad the costume is finally in all versions of the game, but I still find the treatment of it to be super weird...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, that's nice. A tad bit late, but nice... I am glad the costume is finally in all versions of the game, but I still find the treatment of it to be super weird...
Oh no, the costume itself was already available ever since like a day or two after Byleth's reveal if I recall.

It's just that there was a glitch that prevented you from actually keeping the costume every time you reboot the game. This patch just makes it available in your inventory for free at all times without having to spend any fashion farthings on it to circumvent the glitch I suppose.

Though yeah, I do agree that they have been treating Flora's costume very weirdly since day one so its probably not too surprising that a glitch involving it would eventually slip through the cracks sooner or later.

I'm happy that its finally fully available though even if it is probably a tad too late now as most players probably already beaten and completed the game by now and moved on...

Poor Flora can never catch a break...

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Btw is this new art? I don’t recognize this one, unless it was in the concept art or something
It appears briefly after you solve every single puzzle in Unwound/Lost Future.

Its nice that there is an HD resolution of this artwork now. Hopefully we'll be finally getting the HD version of Lost Future eventually too. There is a lot of great artwork and scenes in that game that would be great to see in HD.

By the way, apparently the Cuphead spirit battle can alternate between the mii costume or Megaman depending on whether or not you have the given mii costume purchased. So I suppose that may open more possibilities now if Layton where to make it in. Like perhaps using Joker for Descole's spirit battle or Meta Knight if the player doesn't have the DLC and all.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I'm happy that its finally fully available though even if it is probably a tad too late now as most players probably already beaten and completed the game by now and moved on...

Poor Flora can never catch a break...
True! I had tried to get the costume, but was experiencing the glitch, which was not ideal and I promptly gave up haha. I do wish that we could choose who appears in the puzzle solved animations for the Daily Puzzles, as that'd at least give me an excuse to see the Flora outfit...

By the way, apparently the Cuphead spirit battle can alternate between the mii costume or Megaman depending on whether or not you have the given mii costume purchased. So I suppose that may open more possibilities now if Layton where to make it in. Like perhaps using Joker for Descole's spirit battle or Meta Knight if the player doesn't have the DLC and all.
That is an interesting precedent to establish! I hope it becomes a more common thing, as it will eventually get kind of limiting to not use DLC characters for spirits/classic-modes as the DLC roster keeps on expanding. Obviously there are already a lot of characters in the base game to use, but the DLC ones are all very unique and would be good for representing certain characters...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
True! I had tried to get the costume, but was experiencing the glitch, which was not ideal and I promptly gave up haha. I do wish that we could choose who appears in the puzzle solved animations for the Daily Puzzles, as that'd at least give me an excuse to see the Flora outfit...

That is an interesting precedent to establish! I hope it becomes a more common thing, as it will eventually get kind of limiting to not use DLC characters for spirits/classic-modes as the DLC roster keeps on expanding. Obviously there are already a lot of characters in the base game to use, but the DLC ones are all very unique and would be good for representing certain characters...
If I where to hazard a guess, I'd imagine they will probably stack as the numbers rise. So first Ernest, then Hastings, then probably Sherl and Emiliana and then finally Katrielle who will hopefully wear whatever costume you selected for her.

So yeah, probably just a matter of waiting until around the end of this game's first year...

I wish someone would rip the models from this game to get more use out of them, but seeing as how even the models from Miracle Mask still haven't been ripped yet, I guess that probably won't be happening anytime soon...

Yeah it would do well to start involving the DLC characters into these spirit battles as well eventually, once all is said and done (assuming they've got no plans for any future passes) we'd be reaching 12 DLC characters by that point, would be a shame to let all that potential fly....

By the way, depending on your current timezone, today is the Layton series 13th anniversary, so a happy birthday to the Layton series!

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Looks like the Layton series twitter page is getting in on the celebration too!

So lets talk about what your favourite memory is of the Layton series, or any moments that stood out to you in particular.

I think mine was when I played through Lost Future for the first time, I was hooked from the beginning till the end due to how fun the story and puzzles where. The scene at the very end in particular stood out to me as to how emotional it was, I didn't feel so sad about a game since playing Mother 3..

I really hope they will eventually finally release the third game in HD so I can re experience those moments again...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
has it really been 13 years? i suppose we didnt get until a couple years later.

favourite memories you say? hmm

the sad good byes at the end of lost future, the reveal in the eternal diva, the sheer hype of PLVAA, the meeting at the end of pandora's box, i could go on for ages its been so good

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If finding the truth means we must stand in opposites side's of a courtroom. Then so be it. I expect you to defend Miss Cantabella with everything you got Mr Wright!"
Is my favorite Layton memory, the sheer hype from that entrance was incredible.

amageish

Smash Master
So lets talk about what your favourite memory is of the Layton series, or any moments that stood out to you in particular.

I think mine was when I played through Lost Future for the first time, I was hooked from the beginning till the end due to how fun the story and puzzles where. The scene at the very end in particular stood out to me as to how emotional it was, I didn't feel so sad about a game since playing Mother 3..

I really hope they will eventually finally release the third game in HD so I can re experience those moments again...
I think I have cried over every Layton game haha. I binged Lost Future in a period of like 48 hours due to how engaging the story was, which was kind of insane in retrospect. I would also like a rerelease to justify playing it again haha..

So, Snack World got released in stores, with the full standard price tag for a Switch game.

Yeah, I have a hard time thinking that it'll stand a chance...
Ouch. I get that it is probably worth the price in terms of content length, but I cannot justify shelling out full-price for it personally... Definitely will make it hard to sell people on for sure...

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
I just finished Diabolical Box, and honestly I think the last third was a bit of an ass pull compared to the previous game.

I'm not gonna spoil it or anything, but I hate how the last main character/villain only shows up for the last 20 minutes, and then they try to explain everything about him between his relevance to the story, to his fight with Layton, to the twist ending and his significance to Katia and then the conclusion to the story. It's one of those times where the story could have really benefited from introducing him really early into the game and spread instead of hammering all the info into us near the end.

Also hated how Flora had a much reduced role in this just to get big nose a cameo spot midway through the story. Oddly enough I think I've grown to like Luke's USA voice more than his UK one, his VA grows into it more as the game progressed.

I just started Unwound Future, I hope this lives up to the hype people claim about it, and that it supposedly has one of the best Video Game endings. It's weird when you watch anime and play video games you begin to notice some of the VA's that work in both sectors.
Like when I started Unwound Future I was trying hard to figure who Alain sounded like and then I was OH YEAH it's the guy who voiced the scientist in Code Geass. It was like a 1-Up moment for me

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I just finished Diabolical Box, and honestly I think the last third was a bit of an ass pull compared to the previous game.

I'm not gonna spoil it or anything, but I hate how the last main character/villain only shows up for the last 20 minutes, and then they try to explain everything about him between his relevance to the story, to his fight with Layton, to the twist ending and his significance to Katia and then the conclusion to the story. It's one of those times where the story could have really benefited from introducing him really early into the game and spread instead of hammering all the info into us near the end.

Also hated how Flora had a much reduced role in this just to get big nose a cameo spot midway through the story. Oddly enough I think I've grown to like Luke's USA voice more than his UK one, his VA grows into it more as the game progressed.

I just started Unwound Future, I hope this lives up to the hype people claim about it, and that it supposedly has one of the best Video Game endings. It's weird when you watch anime and play video games you begin to notice some of the VA's that work in both sectors.
Like when I started Unwound Future I was trying hard to figure who Alain sounded like and then I was OH YEAH it's the guy who voiced the scientist in Code Geass. It was like a 1-Up moment for me
I actually always liked how they peppered hints to the villain and the backstory of the town all throughout the game. Though I'm pretty sure most of it is optional.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You had to collect these diaries in order to gain more insight on the town as well as the main villain. You had to go through an optional side quest for that though, so I can see players missing it if their just going through the main story.

I do agree that despite the game cover and promotional material hyping him up. The main villain doesn't really show up until the end of the game.
Its a pretty common trend with the original trilogy in general, where pretty much everyone besides Layton and Luke themselves don't really tend to get much screen time. Which is especially noticeable with Flora as she's kind of set up as this tritagonist but doesn't really get treated any better than a glorified NPC...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You had to collect these journals in order to gain more insight on the town as well as the main villain. You had to go through an optional side quest for that though, so I can see players missing it if their just going through the main story.
first ive heard of this and i did most side stuff

maybe ive just forgotten

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Another day, another fanpoll.

Might be worth sharing it with other fellow Layton fans I suppose...

first ive heard of this and i did most side stuff

maybe ive just forgotten
You just have to play through the game to acquire more key's for the diary entries. If you've beaten the game 100% then you should have all the diary entries.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You just have to play through the game to acquire more key's for the diary entries. If you've beaten the game 100% then you should have all the diary entries.
hmm cant really remember how much i did, im sure i did do some of the secret puzzles and all the minigames but its been a while since i last played

What's the point of these unofficial fan polls anyway? Besides not affecting anything, you can't really gauge general opinion accurately since online polls are easy to stuff and manipulate.
i think the smash ballot might have been able to manipulate

amageish

Smash Master
What's the point of these unofficial fan polls anyway? Besides not affecting anything, you can't really gauge general opinion accurately since online polls are easy to stuff and manipulate.
I'm guessing it is partly a SourceGaming content thing in this case. Like, they regularly do those "All the Content [X Franchise] Could Have in Smash Bros" videos, so knowing what franchises Smash fans care about is good info for them to have...

Did the original Sabi/Scott/Geno poll ever get official results announced? I can't remember seeing proper official ones.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm guessing it is partly a SourceGaming content thing in this case. Like, they regularly do those "All the Content [X Franchise] Could Have in Smash Bros" videos, so knowing what franchises Smash fans care about is good info for them to have...

Did the original Sabi/Scott/Geno poll ever get official results announced? I can't remember seeing proper official ones.
I think they did though I don't remember them fully covering it so the raw version was the one that more or less got spread around instead.

The community isn't very good at managing popularity polls hm...?

Sigh that chart...

anyway, I voted for Layton in the poll already.
Take a drink every time you see this fake chart shared around.

Or rather, don't...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Seems like Level-5 is doing more collaborations with a cafe in Japan.

Kind of surprised they decided to promote the original series over LMJ for this one...

Its nice to know that Level-5 still got the Layton series in mind, though then again, I suppose it is part of their 3 main franchises alongside Inazuma Eleven and Yo-Kai Watch.

Also a nice bit of trivia for Layton's character design.

My apologies for the double post by the way.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Seems like Level-5 is doing more collaborations with a cafe in Japan.

Kind of surprised they decided to promote the original series over LMJ for this one...

Its nice to know that Level-5 still got the Layton series in mind, though then again, I suppose it is part of their 3 main franchises alongside Inazuma Eleven and Yo-Kai Watch.

Also a nice bit of trivia for Layton's character design.

My apologies for the double post by the way.
if flora is ever playable/an assist trophy shy should use that giant wisk

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Sounds like quite the mix that would cause.

So we've seen Mewtwo and his Spoon Sword in the Pokemon Manga.
Now get ready for Emmy and her Spoon Guitar!

Also there is apparently more of this, how wholesome!
I really like the Graffart one, they look so cute!

With all the characters lined up, it makes me imagine how Layton’s DLC spirit board would look in Smash.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I really like the Graffart one, they look so cute!

With all the characters lined up, it makes me imagine how Layton’s DLC spirit board would look in Smash.
Yeah I adore that one too, I wish they brought some of the merch overseas but oh well, I suppose imports are always an option.

Anton seems to be a pretty popular character in Japan, what with his appearance in the group art in the Layton series fanbook, his outfit in LMJ and now this.
I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised if he appeared as one of the spirits in Layton's spirit board.

He has a pretty fitting hostile Assist Trophy with Alucard as well I suppose.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Yeah I adore that one too, I wish they brought some of the merch overseas but oh well, I suppose imports are always an option.

Anton seems to be a pretty popular character in Japan, what with his appearance in the group art in the Layton series fanbook, his outfit in LMJ and now this.
I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised if he appeared as one of the spirits in Layton's spirit board.

He has a pretty fitting hostile Assist Trophy with Alucard as well I suppose.
Despite only being in one game Anton is really popular.

I imagine his spirit battle would use the Vampire mii costume and an Alucard assist is way too fitting to pass up, probably have you fight at Dracula’s castle stage with the Pandora’s Box theme playing .

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sounds like quite the mix that would cause.

So we've seen Mewtwo and his Spoon Sword in the Pokemon Manga.
Now get ready for Emmy and her Spoon Guitar!

Also there is apparently more of this, how wholesome!
all this artwork for the cafe looks like level-5 are after a cross over with cooking mama

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
all this artwork for the cafe looks like level-5 are after a cross over with cooking mama
Hah, that'd be quite something.

I kind of want to see a Layton game in the GraffArt style myself now...
Step aside Paper Mario and Crafted World Yoshi, It's GraffArt Layton time!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hah, that'd be quite something.

I kind of want to see a Layton game in the GraffArt style myself now...
Step aside Paper Mario and Crafted World Yoshi, It's GraffArt Layton time!
personally id love to see layton in that kind of style or any game series really

ive been hoping for link's wooly world for a while now

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Damn now I really want that. The tea brewing minigame in Diabolical Box was super soothing and it's what got me into tea, so something like that would be right up my alley.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
So, we now have precedent for random one-off third party spirits as part of normal spirit events...

We're living in dangerous times.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So, we now have precedent for random one-off third party spirits as part of normal spirit events...

ive no idea who that is

For some reason I can see us getting a Ni no Kuni spirit event.

True we are at the possiblity of being spirited away at any time, but I don't think we should always be living in fear of them.
was that deliberate studio ghibli pun?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

It seems like most of these new spirits revolve around games that have released on Switch, wether its new entries or ports.

I'm not as sure on the River City one but I believe I heard something related to it happened around its release...

I suppose we probably won't be seeing anything Layton related on the Spirit Board for a while, at least until Level-5 finally announces a new entry.
Though I suppose a spirit event based off LMJ Deluxe is still a possibility.

For now, I think the most likely Level-5 related spirits may either be Snack World since it came out in the west pretty recently or the new Inazuma Eleven game (if that ever comes out in Japan...)

Last edited:
Top Bottom