• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
My mistake, I'm playing it on a flashcard I got so I must've just got different region versions of Both games. Ah Nintendo and their dubious localisations
Well if you are playing them on a flashcart, if you ever get around to Last Specter. Be sure to play the US/Australian version since the UK version cut the London Life sidegame (although the mode is unlocked at the start so I guess you could get both if you prefer Luke's UK voice...) just thought I'd give you a heads up on that one.

It's funny because I absolutely cannot stand the US Luke. She....did not nail the accent, to be kind.
Yeah it does seem pretty divided in which Luke people prefer, some prefer his UK voice while others prefer his US voice.
I grew up with his UK voice so I tend to prefer that one myself.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So what songs would you guys like to hear remixed if Layton where to make it in? (asides from the series main theme)

I think the theme of the last battle is definitely a must, or at least bring over the live orchestra version of it.

A remix of the credits songs from Pandora's Box and Miracle Mask would be nice too. I've heard some pretty good remixes of the former before so it would be nice to see Smash's take on the theme.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
So what songs would you guys like to hear remixed if Layton where to make it in? (asides from the series main theme)

I think the theme of the last battle is definitely a must, or at least bring over the live orchestra version of it.

A remix of the credits songs from Pandora's Box and Miracle Mask would be nice too. I've heard some pretty good remixes of the former before so it would be nice to see Smash's take on the theme.
The Veil of Night is a great track that's part of a great memory for me, and I can imagine a sped-up fight-ready version with an electric guitar taking the place of the accordion at 0:33 to really celebrate how cool the track is and pump people up for a fight!

Other than that...Huge Weapon, Laboratory, and The Professor's Reasonings from Layton 3 could get hype remixes <3

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The Veil of Night is a great track that's part of a great memory for me, and I can imagine a sped-up fight-ready version with an electric guitar taking the place of the accordion at 0:33 to really celebrate how cool the track is and pump people up for a fight!

Other than that...Huge Weapon, Laboratory, and The Professor's Reasonings from Layton 3 could get hype remixes <3
Ahh I always loved that song! Hearing a remix of it in Smash would definitely be amazing yeah.

Listening to the live version sped up might give a small taste of what to expect, just give it that extra fighting game based oomph!

I believe Yoko Shimomura would really be able to make her magic work as far as Layton series songs go. We already got a taste of it with songs like Pasta - Fatal Fury 2, Route 10 and Kass's Theme.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The series is going to be 13 years old within the next 5 days.

Feeling old yet?
being the same age as the sonic the hedgehog series did that already

I believe Yoko Shimomura would really be able to make her magic work as far as Layton series songs go. We already got a taste of it with songs like Pasta - Fatal Fury 2, Route 10 and Kass's Theme.
more music from her is always a good thing

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Actually another song that might make for a fun remix is Ratman's Rag from Layton's Mystery Journey.
For some reason I kind of feel like this song would have probably been meme'd within the Layton fandom had the game been a bit more popular, much like Groose's theme and Guile's theme did with their fandoms and whatnot.

Although the song itself is a tad short and repetitive, so probably mix it in with another song like Flight of the Fugitive as a sort of medley might work.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
On the topic of remixes, my personal most wanted Layton series song is "London 3" from Lost/Unwound Future. Besides Layton's theme, it's one of the most covered songs from the series from fan musicians, such as PitTan who have done a quite a few really good layton songs
I imagine a Smash arrangement would just up the speed a bit, would be really fun to fight to a waltz.

For other remixes, I'm hoping we get every main theme. Theme of the Last Time Travel, Theme of the Diabolical Box, Theme of the Miracle Mask, and Theme of the Azran Legacy are all beautiful songs, but they all have slow starts that probably need a new arrangement for Smash's fast paced combat. The theme of the Devil's Flute is actually fast enough already and is fine as it is.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
On the topic of remixes, my personal most wanted Layton series song is "London 3" from Lost/Unwound Future. Besides Layton's theme, it's one of the most covered songs from the series from fan musicians, such as PitTan who have done a quite a few really good layton songs
I imagine a Smash arrangement would just up the speed a bit, would be really fun to fight to a waltz.

For other remixes, I'm hoping we get every main theme. Theme of the Last Time Travel, Theme of the Diabolical Box, Theme of the Miracle Mask, and Theme of the Azran Legacy are all beautiful songs, but they all have slow starts that probably need a new arrangement for Smash's fast paced combat. The theme of the Devil's Flute is actually fast enough already and is fine as it is.
Its definitely one of the more recurring and iconic themes of the Layton series so I feel that it has a good chance to appear if Layton shows up.
Especially since Layton would most probably come with a city/village type stage so it would only be fitting.

A more action packet remix of the puzzle theme might also seem pretty likely, or at least a medley compilation of all the series puzzle themes.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I actually can't remember any of the songs by name but I want the song that plays in the final confrontation in last specter in smash.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
>Looks at comments

This game is gonna flop isn't it?

Also Level-5 is apparently an indie company now. :upsidedown:

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I didn't really have any confidence about Snack World doing especially great stateside anyways, but at least it won't be stuck in Japan.

Also, yeah, people really can't tell what a middle-tier company is anymore. :facepalm:
I suppose a shoutout through Smash might help give the company a bit more brand awareness there. Much like Terry did for SNK.

I suppose Level-5 themselves probably don't have much confidence in the game, but I do feel kind of bad for them that their recent offerings keep getting overshadowed by impatient players, at least whenever Nintendo tries to promote their games on Twitter. What with Snack World and the Direct, and I believe LMJ Deluxe as well and Terry's release...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
>Looks at comments

Wow. Those comments are surprisingly aggressive. People seem to unironically think Nintendo is purposefully tweeting about non-Direct-things, actively trolling people who have notifications on the Twitter account? Weird.

I didn't really have any confidence about Snack World doing especially great stateside anyways, but at least it won't be stuck in Japan.
Yeah... I'm glad it got a localization at all and that is realistically the thing we should celebrate. The odds of it being a breakout western hit is, well, not especially high.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm a pretty big Level 5 fan and Snack worlds just looks kind boring to me.
I'm not really sure what the game is about myself as they haven't really shown much gameplay footage for the whole thing.

I'll probably take a look at a review and see what I'll do from there.

Anyway, tonight's that time of the week again. I can't help but feel that we'll be getting a new spirit event this week, I guess only time will tell...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wow. Those comments are surprisingly aggressive. People seem to unironically think Nintendo is purposefully tweeting about non-Direct-things, actively trolling people who have notifications on the Twitter account? Weird.

Yeah... I'm glad it got a localization at all and that is realistically the thing we should celebrate. The odds of it being a breakout western hit is, well, not especially high.
It could be worse, remember the January 2018 incident? If not, I'll quote this here from TV Tropes:

In January 2018, Nintendo fans were anxiously awaiting the announcement of a rumored January 11th Nintendo Direct.note Yes, not the video itself, but the announcement that there would be one. The fanbase threw themselves into an absolute fervor, with cries of "Reset the clock!" occurring every hour for days in anticipation. Eventually, Nintendo of America acknowledged this on January 10th... by posting a picture of Chibi-Robo! on fire. That other video game PR accounts soon responded to with pictures their own characters being immolated. This caused the fanbase to go even more insane. Video game forum ResetEra in particular had amused mods changing the site's logo and relaxing thread restrictions to further encourage the chaos of members screaming about cleaning robots, hot dog men, and anime characters. See this video for a little taste. A Nintendo Direct would end up being quietly dropped the following morning.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
>Looks at comments

not surprising, something about it seemed like itd be a bit niche

level-5 always had mixed success over seas which is a bit of a shame, people love layton yet the just barely give yo-kai watch a second glance

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
not surprising, something about it seemed like itd be a bit niche

level-5 always had mixed success over seas which is a bit of a shame, people love layton yet the just barely give yo-kai watch a second glance
To be fair, even Layton's success mostly lies in Europe, though it is probably their most "worldwide friendly" IP that they have on their disposal..

Level-5 in general has always struggled quite a lot whenever it comes to the market in the United States, and I think Hino himself pretty much realizes that considering the fact that Level-5 mainly focuses on the Japanese and European markets for their games, media and merchandise...

Their more or less the SNK of Europe and Japan if that makes any sense..

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
To be fair, even Layton's success mostly lies in Europe, though it is probably their most "worldwide friendly" IP that they have on their disposal..

Level-5 in general has always struggled quite a lot whenever it comes to the market in the United States, and I think Hino himself pretty much realizes that considering the fact that Level-5 mainly focuses on the Japanese and European markets for their games, media and merchandise...

Their more or less the SNK of Europe and Japan if that makes any sense..
i guess that does make sense, we even get the yo-kai watch games first now

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
At least they're not the Irem of the UK/Europe yet. Your company being consigned into gambling hell is not a pleasant prospect.
Ehh yeah at least they haven't fallen too low yet I suppose...
The worst thing their doing currently is having poor management and being a tad too overambitious with their IP's I suppose...

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think the thing with Level-5's games are that they tend to lack a bit in terms of accessibility.
Yo-Kai Watch tends to focus a lot towards Japanese folklore and culture which is probably why the series is the most popular there.
Likewise with Inazuma Eleven and its theme around football, which is probably why Level-5 didn't really bother much with bringing the series over to the US asides from a minor 3DS eShop port of the first game...

Out of the three, the Layton series is probably their most accessible IP. Sure it takes place in the United Kingdom and stars an English gentleman that enjoys a nice cup of tea and teaches his apprentice about how to be a true gentleman and all. But overall it has a more universal appeal due to it not dwelling onto its main setting and culture too much and having Layton and Luke visiting various locations and solving different mysteries and puzzles there, making it a bit more accessible for people of all sorts of different backgrounds and upbringings.

Of course its not a bad thing to base your games around these ideas, but you sometimes run the risk of limiting your game to a very specific niche or audience. Which is probably why Nintendo tends to focus a lot on accessibility when it comes to their games. Closest thing is probably the Pokemon franchise but even that mostly focuses on keeping its world and creatures largely universal and familiar for the most part.

At least, that's what I think...

Asides from Layton, there are Ni No Kuni and Dark Cloud that seem to be fairly well liked outside of Japan, from what I've seen at least, although Level-5 doesn't really have much access towards the latter due to it being co owned by Sony and all...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think the thing with Level-5's games are that they tend to lack a bit of accessibility.
Yo-Kai Watch tends to focus a lot towards Japanese folklore and culture which is probably why the series is the most popular there.
Likewise with Inazuma Eleven and its theme around football, which is probably why Level-5 didn't really bother much with bringing the series over to the US asides from a minor 3DS eShop port of the first game...

Out of the three, the Layton series is probably their most accessible IP. Sure it takes place in the United Kingdom and stars an English gentleman that enjoys a nice cup of tea and teaches his apprentice about how to be a true gentleman and all. But overall it has a more universal appeal due to it not dwelling onto its main setting and culture too much and having Layton and Luke visiting various locations and solving different mysteries and puzzles there, making it a bit more accessible for people of all sorts of different backgrounds and upbringings.

Of course its not a bad thing to base your games around these ideas, but you sometimes run the risk of limiting your game to a very specific niche or audience. Which is probably why Nintendo tends to focus a lot on accessibility when it comes to their games. Closest thing is probably the Pokemon franchise but even that mostly focuses on keeping its world and creatures largely universal and familiar for the most part.

At least, that's what I think...

Asides from Layton, there are Ni No Kuni and Dark Cloud that seem to be fairly well liked outside of Japan, from what I've seen at least, although Level-5 doesn't really have much access towards the latter due to it being co owned by Sony and all...
thats true, even when a franchise you love does something based on something youre not interested in you cant get into it, hence why i cant take to cinderace

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Why do I have the feeling that Layton would have probably made the perfect puppet host for the King Dice spirit? Especially if he had an alt based off Don Paolo....

Actually that's something interesting we could probably ponder over. While DLC characters aren't really getting any spirit battles of themselves (outside of their own special spirit boards I suppose). If Layton was a newcomer in base game, what spirits do you think could have been used for him instead?

Top Bottom