• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

amageish

Smash Master
At any rate, nothing prevents Crypt of the Necrodancer from having a Mii or spirit event so far. Although Necrodancer technically has two games even if one doesn't count Cadence of Hyrule.
True! It may not happen, but I just feel like it'd make sense if Nintendo is reaching out to all of their indie partners. It also would be very funny to see her in Smash given that she wasn't made playable in Indie Pogo, an indie Smash clone, seemingly due to low brand recognition...

Yeah, only difference is that the adventure's been turned into a musical.
It's definitely one of the most traditional and least traditional 2D Zelda games at the same time...

At the very least, I might consider picking a copy of Snack World. If gathering up funds for Summer vacation doesn't get in the way.
Let us know how it is! I'm interested in it, but also I have a lot of games to play and more to buy later (March is painful)...

I wonder if it will get a spirit event around the time it releases...
Probably not but you know...
It's not impossible! We weirdly haven't had very many strictly promotional spirit events though...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I wonder if it will get a spirit event around the time it releases...
Probably not but you know...
well there doesnt seem to be any real pattern to spirit events

It's definitely one of the most traditional and least traditional 2D Zelda games at the same time...
i can see where youre coming from but theres a lot of other stuff missing from a traditional 2d zelda

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Just finished Curious Village
I thought the twist with the village was a bit silly, and the reveal of the villain near the end was a bit disappointing, though the payoff at the end was ok I guess.
Here's hoping diabolical box is better

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's not impossible! We weirdly haven't had very many strictly promotional spirit events though...
I guess it remains to be seen, we'll probably be seeing more and more third party spirit events as time goes on.
We have at least 100 weeks worth of spirit and tournament events to go.

So yeah...
fun stuff...

Just finished Curious Village
I thought the twist with the village was a bit silly, and the reveal of the villain near the end was a bit disappointing, though the payoff at the end was ok I guess.
Here's hoping diabolical box is better
I think the best way to describe Curious Village is that its an introductory game of the Layton series.
Kind of like what the first Super Mario Bros, Sonic the Hedgehog, Legend of Zelda, Kirby etc are to their respective franchises.

The narrative is a tad basic and usually tend to focus more on introducing you to the gameplay, world and characters of the series in question in order to see whether or not players enjoy the concept enough to later further expand upon. Which is why in most game trilogies its often the second or third entries that are the most beloved due to expanding and refining the formula.

In terms of Diabolical Box, the game kind of has a love/hate relationship with the fans from what I've seen, some fans consider it to be one of their most favourite entries in the series, particularly due to its more dark and eerie atmosphere, especially in the second half of the game, whereas others thought that it was a tad too ridiculous, even for Layton standards. So Its one of those games where you just have to give it a go for yourself and see what you personally think of it I suppose.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
well there doesnt seem to be any real pattern to spirit events
Basically, yeah. One day you get an event about Tetris, the other you get one about everyone who wears short trousers.

When the Spirit staff has no recent stuff to gain access to, they use what's in the base game and often scrape the bottom of the barrel for theme ideas.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
From what I'm noticing, we seem to get at least two or three special spirit events between each DLC fighter.
So we might be getting at least two new spirit events between now and the next character release. Not sure whether to count the River City spirits as before or after Byleth's release as they came before, but are listed after the Three Houses spirits...

We may or may not be getting some spirit events for the likes of Mario Maker 2 and Luigi's Mansion 3 as well down the line.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
From what I'm noticing, we seem to get at least two or three special spirit events between each DLC fighter.
So we might be getting at least two new spirit events between now and the next character release. Not sure whether to count the River City spirits as before or after Byleth's release as they came before, but are listed after the Three Houses spirits...

We may or may not be getting some spirit events for the likes of Mario Maker 2 and Luigi's Mansion 3 as well down the line.
So, what you're saying is that we're going to get a bunch of nonsensical and pointless events until the next character? Oh boy, here we go.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So, what you're saying is that we're going to get a bunch of nonsensical and pointless events until the next character? Oh boy, here we go.
I mean, we pretty much did always get a bunch of filler spirit events if looking back through the news history is anything to go by, soooo....

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

that number may go up, i imagine the gap between dlc characters may widen if the thing about them being out between mow and the end of next year is to be take at face value

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
that number may go up, i imagine the gap between dlc characters may widen if the thing about them being out between mow and the end of next year is to be take at face value
If we take it at face value then yeah. Although I'd imagine that December 31 2021 is just a placeholder date and that we don't actually have to wait that long for all DLC fighters to be released (Unless there is a large reduction in staff for this DLC volume or Sakurai is doing some other things in between...)

But yeah, we might be seeing an increase in special spirit events over time. Sakurai can only keep us occupied with filler spirit events for so long.... I think....

By the way, unrelated but still interesting I suppose.
https://www.dexerto.com/smash/rare-says-minecraft-helped-get-banjo-smash-bros-ultimate-1321624

So it seems that the release of Minecraft helped pave the way for Banjo. Its interesting that they do these kind of collaborations and all. I think they did these kind of collaborations with Disney and Wreck it Ralph as well.

As far as Level-5's contributions go with Nintendo, at least for the Switch is Yo-Kai Watch 4, Layton's Mystery Journey Deluxe, Snack World and Inazuma Eleven Ares (if that ever comes out...) among some others, and I'm fairly sure that a brand new Layton game is at least in the works as well...

I guess only time will tell if their at least getting a spirit event or a mii costume down the line...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I guess it remains to be seen, we'll probably be seeing more and more third party spirit events as time goes on.
We have at least 100 weeks worth of spirit and tournament events to go.

So yeah...
fun stuff...
The phrase "100 weeks of spirit and tournament events" fills me with a certain amount of existential dread... This is going to be one long Smash speculation cycle...

I can't wait for the "Characters Who Shout 'NOOOOO' In Their Game Of Origin At Least Once" spirit event or the "Characters Who Could Totally Rock a Pixie Cut Hairstyle If They Wanted To" spirit event...

By the way, unrelated but still interesting I suppose.
https://www.dexerto.com/smash/rare-says-minecraft-helped-get-banjo-smash-bros-ultimate-1321624

So it seems that the release of Minecraft helped pave the way for Banjo. Its interesting that they do these kind of collaborations and all. I think they did these kind of collaborations with Disney and Wreck it Ralph as well.
Good to know that companies being connected to Nintendo helps their characters get into Smash for sure... That's a fine sign for Level-5.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
In any case, we didn't get any spirit events at all this week, so it's also possible that nothing much happens for most of a month.
That's actually pretty weird yes. I thought we would be getting a tournament event related to Byleth this week like the other tournament events that occured for the other DLC characters...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So here's a silly little thing we can ponder over. Since the DLC characters seem to share at least one or two animations with existing characters. (presumably due to a smaller team and short time with them having to cut a corner or two if they can)

What character could you see Layton potentially sharing an animation with and which animation in particular?

Closest I could think of from the top of my head is probably Toon Link's side Smash attack if he uses a lead pipe or something there...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So here's a silly little thing we can ponder over. Since the DLC characters seem to share at least one or two animations with existing characters. (presumably due to a smaller team and short time with them having to cut a corner or two if they can)

What character could you see Layton potentially sharing an animation with and which animation in particular?

Closest I could think of from the top of my head is probably Toon Link's side Smash attack if he uses a lead pipe or something there...
maybe something of mario's due to mario's wedding outfit?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Marths lunge attack with his rapier

amageish

Smash Master

Byleth would be funny just because of the professor thing, though I imagine that Layton would be a trick character...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Thinking about it, what if they where to repurpose Robin's rapid jab animation for Layton?
Instead of a tome/book he'd be holding a DS instead and the opponent will get rammed on with a giant stylus instead of the wind effect, cloud particles would fly off instead much akin to how you sometimes need to tap several times to find certain hint coins and puzzles in the games.

Might be a fun little twist on the move. At least animation wise.

Edit:

Might also be a fun little reference to this artwork of Luke and his DS.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

This may seem silly, but Peach’s jab attack. Having Layton do a Gentlemanly backhanded slap would be hilarious.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Masahiro Sakurai said:
I also understand. First of all, there are too many FE characters. And there are also too many swordsmen. However, it has been decided like that, so I am proceeding as-is. There are more other things that I must think about.

There is a problem where there are too many swordsmen in Smash. So there I considered bringing in tactics only for that fighter, and from the intention brought in by the original game’s theme, I thought to adopt the 3 Hero Relics owned by the 3 house leaders into move input directions. I am also devising so that – for example – even with the same bow, they would have a largely different way of using it from Link or Pit.

https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sr4sfq
So now that Sakurai is confirmed to be vary with swordies, how do you think he would handle Layton's moveset?

I think he should give Layton a leadpipe or the candle from the anime over a regular sword as a fun loophole.

But overall, if he's going to use a battering weapon, they should do like Ganondorf and only limit it to his Smash attacks or jabs and focus more on the puzzles, makeshift gadgets and trunk mini games for the rest of his moveset. But that's just me..

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So now that Sakurai is confirmed to be vary with swordies, how do you think he would handle Layton's moveset?

I think he should give Layton a leadpipe or the candle from the anime over a regular sword as a fun loophole.

But overall, if he's going to use a battering weapon, they should do like Ganondorf and only limit it to his Smash attacks or jabs and focus more on the puzzles, makeshift gadgets and trunk mini games for the rest of his moveset. But that's just me..
Honestly I don't think he'd even consider Layton a swordfighter. He's so unorthodox, that would just be reductionist.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, assuming that Sak played the Layton games before, it would take no time at all to think up ideas, incorporate setting stuff and implement him, right?

Unless they have Sak play through TMC first, for some silly reason.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So, assuming that Sak played the Layton games before, it would take no time at all to think up ideas, incorporate setting stuff and implement him, right?

Unless they Sak him play through TMC first, for some silly reason.
Apparantly Sakurai has written a Famitsu collumn about the Layton series before although I have yet to see the actual collumn for myself.

The series main theme was also present in the Press Start concert he was involved with and he's following Hino's Twitter as well so I'd imagine he's at least familiar with the Layton series and Level-5 as a whole, but who knows I guess...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

well i dont think any of us pictured him using only a sword, then again maybe sak does

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
well i dont think any of us pictured him using only a sword, then again maybe sak does
I don't think he would either. Sakurai tends to prefer to focus more on core gameplay mechanics when it comes to character design.

So he'd probably focus more on the gameplay aspects of the Layton series and translate that into a Smash type environment.

Though I'm sure he'd still put in some iconic weaponry Layton used such as the slotmachine gun and whatnot.

He definitely wouldn't focus solely on Layton's fencing talents as that's only one aspect of the character and wouldn't really reflect on the series as a whole. Especially if Layton remained the sole playable character for the Layton series for a long time...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't think he would either. Sakurai tends to prefer to focus more on core gameplay mechanics when it comes to character design.

So he'd probably focus more on the gameplay aspects of the Layton series and translate that into a Smash type environment.

Though I'm sure he'd still put in some iconic weaponry Layton used such as the slotmachine gun and whatnot.

He definitely wouldn't focus solely on Layton's fencing talents as that's only one aspect of the character and wouldn't really reflect on the series as a whole. Especially if Layton remained the sole playable character for the Layton series for a long time...
lets hope so cause a puzzle themed moveset would be amazing

amageish

Smash Master

I think him being a trick character with a focus on pulling random puzzle-based items out of nowhere is the best plan. I would be surprised if he didn't use his sword at least a move though, as Layton being a British gentleman who fences is kind of part of his aesthetic.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think him being a trick character with a focus on pulling random puzzle-based items out of nowhere is the best plan. I would be surprised if he didn't use his sword at least a move though, as Layton being a British gentleman who fences is kind of part of his aesthetic.
I mean, we just got someone that uses other things than swords for much of the moveset. It's not impossible.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
So I found this small YT channel that is mostly dedicated to the Professor Layton series, most of his videos are YTPMV, but the last two videos were a more in-depth. Reminds me of early game theory before he got mainstream.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So I found this small YT channel that is mostly dedicated to the Professor Layton series, most of his videos are YTPMV, but the last two videos were a more in-depth. Reminds me of early game theory before he got mainstream.
Yeah I do quite enjoy this youtuber's work, Its probably one of the few Youtube channels that is very dedicated towards the Layton series.

His recent theory video's are pretty enjoyable to watch, the world of the Layton series is pretty detailed so there are bound to be a lot of interesting little things hidden to find there, so I hope to see more from him in the future and that his channel continues to grow.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
here's a random thought, do you think of layton's victory animations should have his picorat score go up?

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
I'm playing through Diabolical Box right now, I like how you can tell that Curious Village was a big success for Level-5 that they put more time and money in the sequel (More Cutscenes, Voice acted scenes, a larger world etc)

I think I prefer the Curious Village setting though, it all being contained in a single town where you search through every nook and cranny for clues is more relaxing then going from one town to another on a train. By the time you've gotten used to it, you're already departing for the next one.

Also, I'm not a big fan of Luke's new VA here, I prefer the older one in CV where he sounded more a lot more boyish then in DB were you can hear he sounds slightly like an older woman with a shrill voice

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
here's a random thought, do you think of layton's victory animations should have his picorat score go up?
I think it could be a nice addition, kind of like one of Pac-Mans victory animations.

I'm playing through Diabolical Box right now, I like how you can tell that Curious Village was a big success for Level-5 that they put more time and money in the sequel (More Cutscenes, Voice acted scenes, a larger world etc)

I think I prefer the Curious Village setting though, it all being contained in a single town where you search through every nook and cranny for clues is more relaxing then going from one town to another on a train. By the time you've gotten used to it, you're already departing for the next one.

Also, I'm not a big fan of Luke's new VA here, I prefer the older one in CV where he sounded more a lot more boyish then in DB were you can hear he sounds slightly like an older woman with a shrill voice
Oh which version were you playing?

Luke always had two different voice actresses. Lani Minella for the US version (Diabolical Box) and Maria Darling for the UK version (Pandora's Box).
He always had the UK voice across the board in the UK versions although I heard that the US and especially the Australian versions seem to flip flop between voice actresses for some reason...

Last edited:

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
My mistake, I'm playing it on a flashcard I got so I must've just got different region versions of Both games. Ah Nintendo and their dubious localisations

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
My mistake, I'm playing it on a flashcard I got so I must've just got different region versions of Both games. Ah Nintendo and their dubious localisations
yeah theres an instance i can think of where one game was localised differently here in the UK so we ended up with a more direct translation of the original version but come the follow up they just used the US version so there were a few references that were a little lost on us

Last edited:
Top Bottom