• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I suppose they could also do something like Terry's reveal and have a letter fly through in Level-5's art style and have a bunch of their characters try and catch it until it lands into Layton's office. Not sure how fans of Level-5's other IP's would take it though...

By the way, just wondering, asides from Layton, what other characters have the colour brown associated with them? Even if its something like their pants or their general aesthetic,
Dragonborn's leather armor is brown, Arle Nadja's Puyo Puyo Tsu design had brown hair, and others like Master chief or Doomguy have olive green and dark brown-adjacent colors in their armor.

Matthjass

Smash Cadet
NNID
MathsJass
3DS FC
0602-7469-3826
Switch FC
SW 8578 0545 0012
So how would you react if the first thing you see is a coin being flipped up as it gets closer until it eventually slowly shows off the Smash symbol on one side and then Layton's top hat seal at the other, revealing that the coin was in fact a hint coin that then proceeds to get grabbed by Layton and then turns around to point towards the viewer as his splash screen shows up?

"Every puzzle has an answer!"
I would be totally speechless and I would pinch myself to see if I'm in a dream or something... XD

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Just remember: the news specifically said that the Direct would reveal an upcoming fighter, in singular. So I don't think we'll know of anyone past the fifth character yet.
Right, guess Direct it probably is then for first post pass fighter. I suppose they'll probably do another Rex Mii costume esque bonus again assuming we get another fighters pass...

Dragonborn's leather armor is brown, Arle Nadja's Puyo Puyo Tsu design had brown hair, and others like Master chief or Doomguy have olive green and dark brown-adjacent colors in their armor.
Alright, that sounds good, thanks for letting me know!

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I suppose they could also do something like Terry's reveal and have a letter fly through in Level-5's art style and have a bunch of their characters try and catch it until it lands into Layton's office. Not sure how fans of Level-5's other IP's would take it though...
As a Nakoruru fan, that trailer hurt and I feel like that a Level-5 version would hurt more as Jibanyan has somewhat major Smash demand (in Japan at least) from what I've seen. I also doubt that people would be able to get cameos in the same way the Terry's trailer characters appear in the background...

I guess it could be Hero-esque, with Layton sweeping in to save the day? Via puzzles somehow? It'd be fun if his trailer included the puzzle UI as he solves a puzzle of some sort....

Right, guess Direct it probably is then for first post pass fighter. I suppose they'll probably do another Rex Mii costume esque bonus again assuming we get another fighters pass...
Yeah, personally, I could see this Direct announcing a Second Pass Purchase Bonus, but nothing beyond that. These are advertisements at the end of the day and I imagine revealing Pass 2 Fighter 1 could just distract news coverage from things they want to currently sell...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Just remember: the news specifically said that the Direct would reveal an upcoming fighter, in singular. So I don't think we'll know of anyone past the fifth character yet.
Devil's advocate, Japanese doesn't have a distinction between singular and plural so it could be a mistranslation. But it's safe to assume that we aren't getting anything.

amageish

Smash Master
There was a problem fetching the tweet

So, the new word on the Leak Street is that it is a character related to Nintendo, but "not directly." That's vague.

awkw.PNG

*laughs awkwardly*

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
From what I'm gathering, apparantly the character had "strong ties with Nintendo, but grew independently without them"

That does sound like when Nintendo used to publish the Layton series until Level-5 decided to self publish the series later on.

I'm not really sure what to think of any of this, I guess all we can do for now is wait and see what happens...

Last edited:

veeflames

Smash Rookie
So how would you react if the first thing you see is a coin being flipped up as it gets closer until it eventually slowly shows off the Smash symbol on one side and then Layton's top hat seal at the other, revealing that the coin was in fact a hint coin that then proceeds to get grabbed by Layton and then turns around to point towards the viewer as his splash screen shows up?

"Every puzzle has an answer!"
LOL I'd die from the sudden rush of unbelief and excitement. It'll almost be like the time Ultimate was revealed, when I LITERALLY ran all over the house screaming like an idiot when I saw the flaming logo on Inkling's eyes (good times). For so long, I've been praying and waiting for Layton to be a fighter in Smash, and to get an epic reveal trailer like that? Wow.

So guys, this could be it. Years of waiting. Years of speculation. Years of discussion. Years of hope. It could all come down to this day, 1/16/2020 (16/1/2020 for those in Europe and Africa). LOL I'm excited, but I mean... Layton's that one niche potential Smash Bros. fighter that just makes you hope for the best and expect the worst, so... besides, a whole 35 minutes for Layton? I mean, that would be amazing for all of us here, but... hopefully Sakurai is just as in love with Layton as the Layton fanbase to warrant an half-hour showcase.

Speaking of a whole 35-minute showcase for Layton, how y'all reckon the hate (c'mon now, it's gonna exist) for Layton as a potential fighter will be if he's revealed on the 16th? Oh man, I can imagine the drama.

"literally who?"
"they could've added Geno/Sora/Doom Guy/Waluigi/[insert generic Smash Bros. popular potential fighter here] but then they added [insert insult for Professor Layton from some guy on the internet who has, for some reason, never heard of the Professor Layton series]"
"Sakurai sucks, why isnt he fired yet"

I'm not one to indulge in internet drama at all, but it'll be fun watching the Layton fanbase enjoy the moment, whether it be with memes or joke pictures. I'd love to see a video like this, too... replacing Piranha Plant with Layton, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkftiHtgWC8

ANYWAYS, INTERNALIZED PROFESSOR LAYTON HYPE, Y'ALL

amageish

Smash Master
From what I'm gathering, apparantly the character had "strong ties with Nintendo, but grew independently without them"

That does sound like when Nintendo used to publish the Layton series until Level-5 decided to self publish the series later on.

I'm not really sure what to think of any of this, I guess all we can do for now is wait and see what happens...
The leak is so vague that I feel like any character could be made to fit it, but... Yeah... Layton definitely doesn't not fit it?

Speaking of a whole 35-minute showcase for Layton, how y'all reckon the hate (c'mon now, it's gonna exist) for Layton as a potential fighter will be if he's revealed on the 16th? Oh man, I can imagine the drama.

"literally who?"
"they could've added Geno/Sora/Doom Guy/Waluigi/[insert generic Smash Bros. popular potential fighter here] but then they added [insert insult for Professor Layton from some guy on the internet who has, for some reason, never heard of the Professor Layton series]"

I'm not one to indulge in internet drama at all, but it'll be fun watching the Layton fanbase enjoy the moment, whether it be with memes or joke pictures. I'd love to see a video like this, too... replacing Piranha Plant with Layton, of course.
I'm fairly certain people would be fairly salty due to it being a more casually-targeted character, though I'm guessing it'd be more of an "Ugh" salt then a "LITERAL WHO" salt, if that makes sense...

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Things sure are getting interesting for Layton as we near the reveal, I know we are basically in the dark and the "evidence" pointing towards him is rather unsubstantial, but I can't shake this feeling of things feeling that something is looking up for our dear professor.

I feel like character 5 has been this enigmatic puzzle, the mystery is almost solved and I feel like this music capture how I currently feel.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
There was a problem fetching the tweet

So, the new word on the Leak Street is that it is a character related to Nintendo, but "not directly." That's vague.

*laughs awkwardly*
a character with deep ties to nintendo but not owned by nintendo? that could be a lot of level-5

GreenSpirit

Smash Rookie
Hi eveyone, long time no see. I kept following the discussion but never came around to interact a whole lot, I'm sorry about that !
I came back to offer you all a little drawing I've been working on for a bit more than 2 years now as I have to update it every so often for good reasons obviously.

I like to brag and say that this drawing has predicted 2 elements of Ultimate.
- The first one was the "Everyone is back" annoucement, as my intention was to draw every character that has ever appeared in any Smash Bros games, and I actually starting this drawing 3 months before we had any idea that Ultimate existed.
- The second one was the World of Light first cutscene, as I chose to draw the Subspace Emissary's ending background, which looks eerly similar to the cliff on which the characters stand in said cutscene. Yet again, the background was drawn in August while the annoucement was made in November.

In France, we have this saying "Jamais deux sans trois" which roughly translate to "Never two without three", and means that if something occurs twice, it's bound to happen a third time (I guess it's close to "third time's a charm" but doesn't have quite the same meaning).
That's why I chose to add a little someone we all know and love. Why not try to provoke luck this time around ?

Here's to Layton ! I'll keep my finger crossed until the very last DLC annoucement if needs be !

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
LOL I'd die from the sudden rush of unbelief and excitement. It'll almost be like the time Ultimate was revealed, when I LITERALLY ran all over the house screaming like an idiot when I saw the flaming logo on Inkling's eyes (good times). For so long, I've been praying and waiting for Layton to be a fighter in Smash, and to get an epic reveal trailer like that? Wow.

So guys, this could be it. Years of waiting. Years of speculation. Years of discussion. Years of hope. It could all come down to this day, 1/16/2020 (16/1/2020 for those in Europe and Africa). LOL I'm excited, but I mean... Layton's that one niche potential Smash Bros. fighter that just makes you hope for the best and expect the worst, so... besides, a whole 35 minutes for Layton? I mean, that would be amazing for all of us here, but... hopefully Sakurai is just as in love with Layton as the Layton fanbase to warrant an half-hour showcase.

"literally who?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkftiHtgWC8

ANYWAYS, INTERNALIZED PROFESSOR LAYTON HYPE, Y'ALL
Yeah this could potentially be the stop we've been waiting for, I guess only less than 24 hours to go until the moment of truth...
Unless some insider kun decides to open their mouths at the last minute, but either way, I'll try and remain sceptical until I see that iconic splash screen with the good o'll prof proceeding to beat the living tar out of everyone with my own eyes...

And if not, well, we still got an entire post pass to look forward to, guess we'd have to wait a little longer in that case..

I'd imagine Layton would be received about as well as Isabelle did. As in, the hardcore community would probably be annoyed with his inclusion while everyone else would be pretty hyped up with him with lots of memes and fan art to boot. Layton resonates well with the casual audience, its just in the nature of his games I suppose.

If this was the final character as initially intended he'd probably have been received much worse, as is pretty common with most characters saved for last throughout Smash's history, but since there's more characters to come, most people indifferent to him will pretty much get over his inclusion and move on.

Hi eveyone, long time no see. I kept following the discussion but never came around to interact a whole lot, I'm sorry about that !
I came back to offer you all a little drawing I've been working on for a bit more than 2 years now as I have to update it every so often for good reasons obviously.

I like to brag and say that this drawing has predicted 2 elements of Ultimate.
- The first one was the "Everyone is back" annoucement, as my intention was to draw every character that has ever appeared in any Smash Bros games, and I actually starting this drawing 3 months before we had any idea that Ultimate existed.
- The second one was the World of Light first cutscene, as I chose to draw the Subspace Emissary's ending background, which looks eerly similar to the cliff on which the characters stand in said cutscene. Yet again, the background was drawn in August while the annoucement was made in November.

In France, we have this saying "Jamais deux sans trois" which roughly translate to "Never two without three", and means that if something occurs twice, it's bound to happen a third time (I guess it's close to "third time's a charm" but doesn't have quite the same meaning).
That's why I chose to add a little someone we all know and love. Why not try to provoke luck this time around ?

Here's to Layton ! I'll keep my finger crossed until the very last DLC annoucement if needs be !
Hey, great to hear from you again GreenSpirit!
No worries and that's a wonderful artwork you made there, very well done!

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Perhaps it’s foolhardy, but I already posted on the speculation thread that I am predicting that Professor Layton will be character #5!

it’s not 100% but I feel positive about his likelihood. If I’m wrong, I’m wrong, but I’m going with my prediction.

Edit: quick question, does anybody know how much Switch port for Layton mystery journey sold, the topic was brought up on the speculation thread but I couldn’t locate any concrete answers.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Edit: quick question, does anybody know how much Switch port for Layton mystery journey sold, the topic was brought up on the speculation thread but I couldn’t locate any concrete answers.
I don't really know, I haven't seen any sales data, then again, I didn't really look it up...

I do know that the game charted pretty highly in the European eShop though, I think it did particularly well in France if I recall...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Stopping in this thread to wish you guys the best of luck in your British attorney making the cut tomorrow.

Wish you the best.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Thanks.

Also Layton actually isn't an attorney, just an archaeology professor that solves mysteries on the side.
Ah my bad I never played the games plus I'm always seeing his series being compared to Ace Attorney. That's why I assumed he was like Wright especially given the crossover game.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Ah my bad I never played the games plus I'm always seeing his series being compared to Ace Attorney. That's why I assumed he was like Wright especially given the crossover game.
Within the context of the crossover game he was legally made an attorney for one trial so I guess he counts.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well good morning everyone, I guess this will be it. About 5 hours left until the identity of fighter 5 will finally be revealed...

We may either finally be seeing the good prof make his Smash debut, or we may have to wait just a bit longer...

Who knows, but whatever happens, It's been a ton of fun speculating with you all, here's hoping for the best, good luck everyone!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You know, I spent all night hearing Layton's theme in my head. I don't know why. I guess I thought it was his time, but I'm happy with the result.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You know, I spent all night hearing Layton's theme in my head. I don't know why. I guess I thought it was his time, but I'm happy with the result.
I'm happy for you GoodGrief

Seeing as how there are at least six more chances to see Layton is nice, however since it seems that this pass will drag on until end 2021, I don't know if I'm really able to stomach any more waiting like that with seemingly more potential droughts in between.

I guess I might eventually just leave Smash speculation at some point between now and then, so I don't know for how much longer I'll remain active here before I just decide to move on for other things by then...

Eitherway, I guess we'll see where this one will be heading..

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I'm happy for you GoodGrief

Seeing as how there are at least six more chances to see Layton is nice, however since it seems that this pass will drag on until end 2021, I don't know if I'm really able to stomach any more waiting like that with seemingly more potential droughts in between.

I guess I might eventually just leave Smash speculation at some point between now and then, so I don't know for how much longer I'll remain active here before I just decide to move on for other things by then...

I'd say it would probably be a good time to take a break from speculation for a bit, we probably won't get new info for awhile.

I took a 5 month break from SmashBoards/speculation after Smash Ultimate got release. It really helped me refresh myself and make the wait much more bearable.

veeflames

Smash Rookie
Well, I guess we can say we got a Professor in Smash...

Just... just not Professor Layton. Oof.

So, six new slots for potential fighters. Maybe, just maybe one of them belongs to the gentleman professor himself, but dang. Kinda starting to lose some hope around here haha. I mean, no representation of the series whatsoever; no spirits, costumes (Cuphead and Sans get costumes for God's sake), no assist trophies, no description, no characters, nothing. I mean, wow! If not for that panel a few years back with Hino and Sakurai attending, I'd be convinced the Smash Bros. team have no idea who Layton is lol.

Although, wasn't it Nintendo that chose the fighters for the first fighters pass? I wonder who selected the fighters for the next pass... Regardless of whether it was Nintendo again or Sakurai this time around, hopefully we see a reality where Professor Layton sips tea with Mario and co. being star KO'd in the background. I'd also like to see other characters like Ring Fit Trainer, Wonderful Red, and even Chase McCain from Lego City Undercover, although I'm aware those are pretty reaching choices.

As for speculation, I guess you can say I'm ready to move on... but I mean, I dunno. I'm not the biggest fan of the highly requested characters you find on the internet like Geno and the likes (not saying they're bad characters tho), so I guess I have no choice but to stick to my own hopefuls. Besides, it's very fun being here and just reading what y'all have to say, even if it isn't Smash speculation.

Fingers crossed for 2020, y'all.

amageish

Smash Master

Yeah, I'm excited for more characters, though Winter 2021 is... uh... a while. It's good that they're taking time with the characters though! Try not to get burned out, as there will probably be some serious lulls in the schedule then...

Well, I guess we can say we got a Professor in Smash...

Just... just not Professor Layton. Oof.
I... hadn't considered that. I suddenly feel like I should name Byleth Layton in my next TH playthrough, just for the mild amusement of seeing people call him Professor Layton....

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah worries of burnout is basically what I'm concerned with...
Oh well, if I need to take a break or move on to other things, then so be it I suppose.

Hopefully Level-5 announces the next Layton game this year though so I can start talking and speculating over that with the rest of the Layton fandom at least...
Or likewise with Capcom and Ace Attorney..

Last edited:

GreenSpirit

Smash Rookie
Hey, great to hear from you again GreenSpirit!
No worries and that's a wonderful artwork you made there, very well done!
Thanks man !

Well it might not be Layton but at least it looks like we're getting a fun character to play.

Yes, let's hope for 2020 to be a more Laytonesque year than any other one prior !

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
i no longer fancy our odds
yeah I'm not really feeling too confident on Layton's chances myself. Which is partly why I don't really want to waste too much of my time speculating on Smash for the next two years only for it all to be pretty much in vain...

I will say this though, I'll be very surprised if throughout these two years, Level-5 still does not even get so much as a single spirit event. Its as someone else said, almost makes you wonder if Sakurai is even aware of the company and their games, (despite the talk show from forever ago I suppose) so yeah, there's that I guess...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
yeah I'm not really feeling too confident on Layton's chances myself. Which is partly why I don't really want to waste too much of my time speculating on Smash for the next two years only for it all to be pretty much in vain...

I will say this though, I'll be very surprised if throughout these two years, Level-5 still does not even get so much as a single spirit event. Its as someone else said, almost makes you wonder if Sakurai is even aware of the company and their games, (despite the talk show from forever ago I suppose) so yeah, there's that I guess...
yeah id be surprised if they didnt get anything as well, theyve had a quite a good amount of success and recognition, certainly one the level of some of the other cameos

Top Bottom