• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I honest to goodness forgot there was an inspector character in LMJ aside from Emiliana.

But I looked up pics on Google and sure enough, there he is, Hastings. He existed.
I guess it goes to show that Emiliana was overall a far more memorable character in that game despite her more limited appearances in that game, or anime...

It would be nice if they gave the inspectors larger roles in future Layton games.

I suppose Emiliana will probably be saved up for a favourite female Layton character poll later on..

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I guess it goes to show that Emiliana was overall a far more memorable character in that game despite her more limited appearances in that game, or anime...

It would be nice if they gave the inspectors larger roles in future Layton games.

I suppose Emiliana will probably be saved up for a favourite female Layton character poll later on..
i forgot she was a detective

this thread is becoming "what i forgot about the layton series"

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
i forgot she was a detective

this thread is becoming "what i forgot about the layton series"
I guess she wasn't so much a "detective" as much as she was a criminal analyst at Scotland Yard...

I did notice she apparently only appeared in like 12 out of 50 episodes in the anime though. Even in the game she was used very sparingly.
Would be nice to see more of her though...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I guess she wasn't so much a "detective" as much as she was a criminal analyst at Scotland Yard...

I did notice she apparently only appeared in like 12 out of 50 episodes in the anime though. Even in the game she was used very sparingly.
so long as she tones down the jealousy

amageish

Smash Master

More of her would definitely be appreciated. It was kind of nice to have an AA-esque not-evil rival character in a Layton game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, so the latest Ultimate update has been implemented, there's an amiibo tournament on Friday, and the :ultrichter: and :ultdarksamus: amiibo will be coming near the end of next week. Still no big news in sight.

This is the amiibo theory's last stand. When that dies, no one will have any clue how this puzzle will be solved until the very end of February.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
More of her would definitely be appreciated. It was kind of nice to have an AA-esque not-evil rival character in a Layton game.
Now that you mention it, I suppose there was a bit of a Phoenix, Edgeworth and Gumshoe type dynamic with Katrielle, Emiliana and Hastings...
What's up with Layton's kids being more like Phoenix than Layton himself...?

Okay, so the latest Ultimate update has been implemented, there's an amiibo tournament on Friday, and the :ultrichter: and :ultdarksamus: amiibo will be coming near the end of next week. Still no big news in sight.

This is the amiibo theory's last stand. When that dies, no one will have any clue how this puzzle will be solved until the very end of February.
Well hopefully we'll be hearing about the next fighters soon, I think this rollercoaster has gone on for long enough...

By the way, DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon made a nice write up for Layton at the character discussion thread and I thought you guys might like to read it.

7 Characters to Look Out For in Ultimate DLC (III)
By tehponycorn

Previously: Don-chan, 2B
This time:
  • As always, I'll check my bias at the door. I actually haven't played Layton or Fortnite. I guess I played a bit of Layton back when I was like, 9 and disliked it because my poor 9 year old brain didn't have the attention span to handle it. I only really know Fortnite because of the memes, and I've jokingly offered to play it with friends, but never have. Little to no bias here.
  • Thanks to @Ayumi Tachibana for helping this argument with his translations. Keep up the great work!
  • I feel the need to repeat that leaks or rumors since those aren't speculation, and hearsay should not be used in place of actual evidence. I feel the need to say this given how speculation seems centered on such nowadays.
Smash Bros. is a celebration of gaming. Having grown beyond its humble origins as a Nintendo crossover, it's scope extends far beyond one single company, drawing in famous characters from a variety of companies.

"But tehponycorn!" you say, "Smash Bros. is about Nintendo first!" To which I respond with this 2018 statement from Sakurai:

Smash was once subtitled “Nintendo All-Stars,” but the game’s scope has expanded far beyond Nintendo.
With this established, in regards to Smash speculation, the sky is the limit. So long as they originate from a video game, they could realistically be in Smash Bros. So then the question I pose is: why do we stick to the same old echoed characters? Time and time again the Smash fanbase has speculated around characters only to be blindsided by picks like Joker, Hero, and Terry. These picks make sense in hindsight, yet prior to their inclusion were supported by a certain few who were laughed off until they were right, at which point these characters were seen as "obvious." In writing this essay I hope to pop the Smash Bubble for a bit and broaden the horizons of speculation. A lofty goal that I'll probably be laughed at for, but I figured I'd try nonetheless.
View attachment 256220

Level-5's omission from Smash so far is actually rather odd, given Level-5's large support of Nintendo since the DS era with their Professor Layton, Yo-kai Watch, and Inazuma Eleven series', with them even bringing their other major IP, Nino no Kuni to the Switch in 2019 (there was also a Japan-exclusive DS release in 2013). Similar to Square Enix and Dragon Quest, Nintendo's even picked up publishing of their games worldwide, doing so with both the Professor Layton and Yokai Watch series. Pretty much all of their series are notable in some way, with Yo-kai Watch dominating Japan from 2013-2016. It was considered a "Pokémon Killer," outpacing the series in merchandising and anime, and netting Namco Bandai a lot of yen (think tens of millions) off of toy sales. Level-5's IPs have spawned 3 different anime franchises, with each getting at least one full-feature anime movie (Layton has 1, Inazuma Eleven has 4, and Yo-kai Watch has 5; Nino-no-kuni does not have a series, but has spawned two anime movies). You could say that Level-5's series are more media franchises, spanning multiple mediums, than game series contained within one media. Considering the popularity of their IPs and the relationship they have with Nintendo, a Level-5 character makes a lot of sense from a business standpoint.

So then, the question is: Why Professor Layton? If this were Sm4sh DLC or Ultimate base speculation I'd tell you he didn't have a chance compared to Jibanyan, but Yo-kai Watch is kinda dead now, and the Layton series is still very much living, with a deluxe edition of the most recent game just releasing last November. Furthermore, Layton's legacy with Nintendo makes him a stronger contender in my opinion. Professor Layton games were a defining hallmark of the DS generation, garnering strong, positive reception for their challenging puzzles and managing to sell 11.47 million units worldwide by 2011. In 2013 this number has turned into 15 million, and by 17 million by 2018. At the very least, this shows Layton's status as one of the DS' stronger series. This is further corroborated by the fact that Layton still stands among Nintendo's first-party franchises on Nintendo UK's Nintendo Characters Hub page (alongside fellow Level-5 series Inazuma Eleven and Phoenix Wright). Speaking of the United Kingdom and Europe, Layton is incredibly popular there. Iwata (RIP) admits in an interview that Curious Village did so well that it "surprised" Nintendo with its European success, and a 2009 interview with Level-5 CEO Akihiro Hino states something similar (we'll return to this interview). Considering that Europe is largely who got us Bayonetta from the Ballot, they're clearly not a demographic to be underestimated.

Sidenote, but man do we really underestimate Europe. It's always the US and Japan in speculation, but rarely ever Europe. We gotta talk about them and what they want more since it's clearly a large demographic for both Nintendo and Smash Bros.

In regards to the potential for Layton in Smash Bros. specifically, it's something Hino has been approached about multiple times actually. In a 2008 panel that both Hino and Sakurai attended, a moderator talked about how they wanted Layton in Smash, to which both laughed. At the very least, Layton has been on Sakurai's radar for years now. Returning to that 2009 interview, he said this when asked about Layton in Smash:
Akihiro Hino said:
That would certainly be a wonderful opportunity!
When asked about it again in a 2017 interview, he said this:
Akihiro Hino said:
If it looks like it’s fun and entertaining for both us and consumers, then we’re definitely open to more collaborations...I have a good relationship with Capcom right now, which was what lead to the Phoenix Wright crossover.
Hino knows about Smash, and I believe he, like every other game developer, recognizes the advertising effect of the series. Given the opportunity, I believe he'd want to push Layton since he's said it's his favorite Level-5 property in a 2016 Forbes interview (at the height of Yo-kai Watch's popularity):
Akihiro Hino said:
“I have strong feelings for all our games but if I have to choose one title, it would be the Layton series as my favorite. It has a soft spot in my heart because it was the first title Level-5 published and it was so successful.
Layton makes more sense than Jibanyan for this reason alongside the solid amount of support he seemed to have in the Ballot era, with semi-prominent Youtubers RabbidLuigi and AceStarThe3rd voicing support for him among others.

Not necessarily related, but Layton has a significant female audience too, with a 2012 poll of 6,729 players revealing that 51% of players were female. Layton could have a very specific appeal to European, female, and casual demographics that could allow him to get in over other picks.

All of this is great and all, but my question after looking at all this is Why isn't Layton (or Jibanyan for that matter) in Smash already?
You would think given the strength of Level-5's IPs alongside their size as a company and positive relationship with Nintendo that a Level-5 character would already be in Smash by now, especially when requests for Layton specifically date back to 2008. I can only come up with two explanations that hold up to Occam's Razor:
  1. For some reason Level-5 has previously rejected attempts to include their characters in Smash, or
  2. Their series haven't been previously considered due to being overshadowed by existing franchises
I'm going to assume the latter, as Level-5 doesn't seem to be too difficult to work with, and given that Sakurai and Hino have appeared at panels together, the two must hold a good working relationship at the very least.

As we continue adding third party franchises, I'd say that relatively smaller series like Layton have a better chance of inclusion. So hold out hope everyone, the solution to the puzzle of Layton in Smash might just appear.
I should probably update the OP with additional notes now that I'm thinking about it, things like Sakurai and Hino's history in regards to Layton and Smash, I think that might be a useful thing to look back to for future references...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

probably for the best most theories are a bit too out there

Now that you mention it, I suppose there was a bit of a Phoenix, Edgeworth and Gumshoe type dynamic with Katrielle, Emiliana and Hastings...
nah i dont think hastings had his pay cut enough to be like gumshoe

and i dont think anyone in the layton series freaks out or sweats enough to be like nick

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
nah i dont think hastings had his pay cut enough to be like gumshoe

and i dont think anyone in the layton series freaks out or sweats enough to be like nick
I meant in terms of dynamic, Layton himself isn't that much like Sherloc Holmes either despite being inspired by him. They obviously wouldn't be 1:1 with each other...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I meant in terms of dynamic, Layton himself isn't that much like Sherloc Holmes either despite being inspired by him. They obviously wouldn't be 1:1 with each other...
it is funny for how for holmes inspired character they decided to go for a proper gentleman which is pretty different from how holmes usually is

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Well hopefully we'll be hearing about the next fighters soon, I think this rollercoaster has gone on for long enough...

By the way, DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon made a nice write up for Layton at the character discussion thread and I thought you guys might like to read it.

I should probably update the OP with additional notes now that I'm thinking about it, things like Sakurai and Hino's history in regards to Layton and Smash, I think that might be a useful thing to look back to for future references...
smh my head takin' my work and stealing my imaginary internet points

Fr tho thanks for sharing my work here! If you want to update the original post go ahead! All I ask is that I'm allowed to use it when I compile all of the arguments together in one (I'll give credit of course).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
smh my head takin' my work and stealing my imaginary internet points

Fr tho thanks for sharing my work here! If you want to update the original post go ahead! All I ask is that I'm allowed to use it when I compile all of the arguments together in one (I'll give credit of course).
No worries, I think it will be useful to have an archive compiled at the OP with various interviews and series achievements included, as well as any history Sakurai has had with Level-5 and the Layton series, likewise with Hino and Smash. I'll see if I can sort most of that out today, so feel free to use them whenever you need.

I'll have to thank NintenJen NintenJen as well for finding out some of the interesting and useful info if their still around.

Edit:

So this is what I managed to compile so far, let me know what you all think.

Sakurai and Hino's history with Layton and Smash.
The first time the idea of Layton in Smash was brought to Sakurai and Hino's attention was during the 2008 panel talk show that they both attended to, where a moderator gave their two cents and requested Layton for Smash to both Sakurai and Hino to which they both laughed. Hino did state that he does want to see Layton join the roster and that Sakurai is free to decide on his moveset for that.
Akihiro Hino said:
I want Professor Layton to be included in the sequel. How about attacking with fencing? I'll leave it all to Mr. Sakurai.
In a 2009 interview, Hino was once again asked about his thoughts on seeing Layton join Smash (or Mario Kart) being once again very open to the idea.
Akihiro Hino said:
That would certainly be a wonderful opportunity!
Layton's request for Smash has also been acknowledged in the official World of Professor Layton fanbook when asked about what other IP's fans wanted to see the Layton series collaborate with.
Hino was once again asked about Layton and Smash most recently during a 2017 interview where he once again confirmed to be open for more collaborations with the series:
Akihiro Hino said:
If it looks like it’s fun and entertaining for both us and consumers, then we’re definitely open to more collaborations. But, there’s nothing in particular going on right now. I have a good relationship with Capcom right now, which was what lead to the Phoenix Wright crossover.

One interesting tidbit with Sakurai and the Layton series is that the main theme from the Layton series was featured at the Press Start -Symphony of Games concert. Another game song that was present there during the 5th anniversary was a song from the Persona series, which is now also present in Smash Ultimate years later.

This was a series of Japanese game music concerts that started in 2006. It was started by several professionals in the industry, such as Nobuo Uemastu, Kazushige Nojima, Taizo Takemoto, Shogo Sakai, as well as Masahiro Sakurai himself.

During an Iwata Asks interview in regards to the concert, Sakurai told the late Satoru Iwata that he was able to meet up with several composers who went on to compose a number of songs in the Smash series itself thanks to this concert.
Iwata:
I suspect the fact you got to know several distinguished video game musicians by working as producer for the Press Start –Symphony of Games- concert for the last several years also had a considerable impact.
Sakurai:
It did. I was able to talk to my colleagues on the set and ask for some help.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
probably for the best most theories are a bit too out there
Not all theories are bad, we kind of need something to talk about that can at least plausibly give us a general idea of when a reveal comes.

...Besides Pokémon and super-fake text leaks, which is inevitably what happens when people are at a loss on what's the most interesting thing to do to pass the time.

Although for once, Pokémon is probably going to help, seeing as general Directs apparently seem to come some time shortly after Poké-directs. :drshrug:

Assuming this isn't the year Nintendo starts changing up its habits, anyway...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Not all theories are bad, we kind of need something to talk about that can at least plausibly give us a general idea of when a reveal comes.

...Besides Pokémon and super-fake text leaks, which is inevitably what happens when people are at a loss on what's the most interesting thing to do to pass the time.

Although for once, Pokémon is probably going to help, seeing as general Directs apparently seem to come some time shortly after Poké-directs. :drshrug:

no theories arent necessarily bad theyre just very bizarre

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master

Well, at least we have 7/11 Theory suggesting that it'll be early February at the least?

*sighs*

"7/11 Theory"

Smash speculation must sound so weird to onlookers.

I think they were just interested in seeing what a Layton game with more AA tropes would be like, given how it is also using the case system, smaller lists of suspects, and everyone has obnoxiously bad pun names.

That is a very impressive write-up! Definitely makes some of the key points in an efficient way.

Personally, I'd consider adding a picture of the Nintendo website with Layton as one of the main character portals into the OP. I know it's already mentioned, but still... I like visuals.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, at least we have 7/11 Theory suggesting that it'll be early February at the least?

*sighs*

"7/11 Theory"

Smash speculation must sound so weird to onlookers.
The event that dies too, I'll be completely convinced that the only pattern that even exists is that every character reveal pattern ends with someone weird.

Heck, Smash speculation sounds weird even to me at this point.

At least I got work off on Tuesday and Wednesday next week, so if I'm lucky I'll get to see news happen live. Or my time will be wasted, who knows.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That is a very impressive write-up! Definitely makes some of the key points in an efficient way.

Personally, I'd consider adding a picture of the Nintendo website with Layton as one of the main character portals into the OP. I know it's already mentioned, but still... I like visuals.
Sounds like a good idea.

I'll probably have to remove an existing image for that since I already reached the 20 image limit but I'll see what I can do.
*kicking myself for not making a reserve post when first making the thread...*

Didn't people say a similar thing with the Nindies Directs or something?

Oh well, guess only time will tell, Its not that long until we finally get answers anyway...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Sounds like a good idea.

I'll probably have to remove an existing image for that since I already reached the 20 image limit but I'll see what I can do.
*kicking myself for not making a reserve post when first making the thread...*

Ahhhhhhh. I didn't realize there was an image limit. That definitely makes it a harder decision... I just really like how Nintendo themselves list Layton alongside their own greats. Kind of hammers home how big he is in Europe.

Didn't people say a similar thing with the Nindies Directs or something?

Oh well, guess only time will tell, Its not that long until we finally get answers anyway...
I mean, the Pokemon Direct pattern is vaguely resembling a pattern... I'm trying to avoid getting too hyped though.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well good to know that Hino is taking the advice of o'll Miyamoto: "A delayed game is eventually good, a rushed game is bad forever"

They should probably not give premature release dates until their certain that they can make the deadlines though.

They kind of give me the pre 2010 Nintendo flashbacks though, with game delays and long localizations between Japanese releases, hopefully they'll improve on that as time goes on. At least the localization gaps of the Layton games aren't as big as they used to anymore.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
where did they get new forms from? thats an old form thats already programmed into the game
It was light clickbait, as it's a form new-to-Sword/Shield, not overall. Granted, that turned out to be basically a background announcement to the actual news, so no harm done with that leak.

They should probably not give premature release dates until their certain that they can make the deadlines though.
They're, uh, not especially great at that for sure... Hopefully whatever their next projects are have more realistic production schedules...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, uh looks like GF finally moved into the 21st century and got on the DLC train themselves.

Well good to know that Hino is taking the advice of o'll Miyamoto: "A delayed game is eventually good, a rushed game is bad forever"

They kind of give me the pre 2010 Nintendo flashbacks though, with game delays and long localizations between Japanese releases, hopefully they'll improve on that as time goes on. At least the localization gaps of the Layton games aren't as big as they used to anymore.
Devs reassuring that some games exist and are coming is becoming a trend recently, seeing how Kamiya had to calm down the fans for Bayonetta.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It was light clickbait, as it's a form new-to-Sword/Shield, not overall. Granted, that turned out to be basically a background announcement to the actual news, so no harm done with that leak.
still seems a bit daft when its something thats in the game but not currently available, maybe its just me

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's just a run-of-the-mill slip-up, don't overthink it.

We may not see that variant now but it is probably somewhere within one of the new campaigns.
no i meant im sure west sea gastrodon is programmed into the game already and therefore the slip up was surely indicative of information on home rather than of new pokemon forms

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
They're, uh, not especially great at that for sure... Hopefully whatever their next projects are have more realistic production schedules...
I'm guessing with all the delays from Inazuma Eleven Ares prompting Level-5 to not announce any additional upcoming projects until the game's release might mean we probably will be seeing the next entry closer to release, or maybe even getting on with the game's localization so it can have a more global release, which might be nice if that's the case.

We probably would have heard about the next entry sooner if it wasn't for the development hell Level-5 has been stuck with the last couple years..

Devs reassuring that some games exist and are coming is becoming a trend recently, seeing how Kamiya had to calm down the fans for Bayonetta.
Hmm, I suppose there is that as well, especially with Metroid Prime 4, I guess I was more thinking about games like Mario Odyssey and Smash Ultimate...

Closest thing we have in terms of Level-5 still having the Layton series in mind most recently was the Layton cafe and puzzle solving activities they did in Japan last year as well as the burst in activity from the Layton series Twitter page, which is nice to see it went back to being active again after the Holiday break.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Found another Smash concept on r/ProfessorLayton by u/GregorioGC.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ProfessorLayton/comments/enmkyc
The little icons next to the songs are to indicate possibility of remixes. The idea of having as much character cameos as possible in the final smash is cool, if a bit like Hero's.
Its a nice list of ideas there.

I think its a neat little way to add some extra fanservice into the game. Characters like Megaman, Shulk and Joker have this too. I'd imagine the line up would be more limited towards the more recognizable main characters though like Luke, Flora, Emmy, Katrielle, Alfendi and probably the main villains and inspectors too. Either that, or stage cameo's.

By the way, something that kind of crossed my mind after the Pokemon Direct is the possibility of us seeing a couple DLC cases for the next Layton game sometime after release. Assuming the base game would adapt the storyline of the anime's relic stone ark, I suppose some extra post game cases could be about Katrielle meeting up with Alfendi and solving a case together (as sort of teased in the anime) and Layton and Luke reuniting with Flora and Emmy for another adventure. Might be interesting to see if they went for something like that...

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I suppose that might be possible, depending on when the next Direct hits, he may opt to reveal the next fighter there. Hopefully he will at least let us know how post pass DLC will be structured.

Nice to see Twitter getting hyped up for the possibility of Layton again. Its always great to see that there are still a number of fans that want to see the good o'll Prof join the roster.

So how would you react if the first thing you see is a coin being flipped up as it gets closer until it eventually slowly shows off the Smash symbol on one side and then Layton's top hat seal at the other, revealing that the coin was in fact a hint coin that then proceeds to get grabbed by Layton and then turns around to point towards the viewer as his splash screen shows up?

"Every puzzle has an answer!"

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
So how would you react if the first thing you see is a coin being flipped up as it gets closer until it eventually slowly shows off the Smash symbol on one side and then Layton's top hat seal at the other, revealing that the coin was in fact a hint coin that then proceeds to get grabbed by Layton and then turns around to point towards the viewer as his splash screen shows up?

"Every puzzle has an answer!"
That'd be a fantastic reveal! I do wonder what they'd do if it was Layton (not that I think it will be), as many of the trailer ideas we've discussed in this thread has been based on the idea of Layton receiving a letter or something similar. It'd be kind of obvious what is happening if the presentations opens with Layton himself or in the Layton artstyle... Would they do a full trailer of misdirects, or are they just going to not hide who it is at all?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That'd be a fantastic reveal! I do wonder what they'd do if it was Layton (not that I think it will be), as many of the trailer ideas we've discussed in this thread has been based on the idea of Layton receiving a letter or something similar. It'd be kind of obvious what is happening if the presentations opens with Layton himself or in the Layton artstyle... Would they do a full trailer of misdirects, or are they just going to not hide who it is at all?
I suppose they could also do something like Terry's reveal and have a letter fly through in Level-5's art style and have a bunch of their characters try and catch it until it lands into Layton's office. Not sure how fans of Level-5's other IP's would take it though...

By the way, just wondering, asides from Layton, what other characters have the colour brown associated with them? Even if its something like their pants or their general aesthetic,

Top Bottom