• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well on the bright side, there is this nice artwork that has Layton in it that we can enjoy.

According to an anon on 4chan, this artwork is very old, before Lucas was even confirmed for Brawl.

Also SMG4's latest episode had the puzzle theme from Curious Village in it which was quite a pleasant surprise too.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
You might not like who is coming, but they'll bring something interesting gameplay-wise, that you can be sure about. The only thing that matters is if a character is fun to play enough that people who don't know any better think they are broken. And still be better than some pointless shmo like Awesome Possum or Rocky Rodent.
Yeah.... My hope at this point is just for someone unique and interesting-ish. Good music would be a plus too.
also maybe the DLC could have a female character in it at some point
Well on the bright side, there is this nice artwork that has Layton in it that we can enjoy.
According to an anon on 4chan, this artwork is very old, before Lucas was even confirmed for Brawl.
That's really good art! It's interesting to see how people envisioned the Villager would look before they got into Smash.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That's really good art! It's interesting to see how people envisioned the Villager would look before they got into Smash.
I think the viking helmet and cone hat where part of the Villagers initial design's pre cityfolk, I forgot people used to support Poo (and Paula) as well pre Lucas. times sure have changed.

I looked back at the Brawl Dojo and it seemed to have initially started updating around May 2007, about three month's after the release of Curious Village in Japan, I never realized that, I wonder how much of a following Layton had during the pre-Brawl era, at least in Japan.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hello Layton contreras!

My father and I made some Christmas purchases this week and he took Layton’s Mystery Journey Switch home for Christmas!

Knowing him (and since in Spain we celebrate Christmas both on the 24th and January 6th), he will make it my gift for the former date.
He really wants to play it already!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hello Layton contreras!

My father and I made some Christmas purchases this week and he took Layton’s Mystery Journey Switch home for Christmas!

Knowing him (and since in Spain we celebrate Christmas both on the 24th and January 6th), he will make it my gift for the former date.
He really wants to play it already!
I'm very happy to hear that.

I hope the two of you have a good time with the game!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I gotta say, it's poetically fitting how LMJ and the upcoming Brain Age are on the Switch, since Layton was essentially intended as a replacement for the latter in the first place.

Also SMG4's latest episode had the puzzle theme from Curious Village in it which was quite a pleasant surprise too.
>Poo
Those were the days, back when Mother supporters didn't back only two characters.

In retrospect, seeing :ultvillager: like this is interesting, given how they ultimately were based on their latest appearance instead.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I gotta say, it's poetically fitting how LMJ and the upcoming Brain Age are on the Switch, since Layton was essentially intended as a replacement for the latter in the first place.

>Poo
Those were the days, back when Mother supporters didn't back only two characters.

In retrospect, seeing like this is interesting, given how they ultimately were based on their latest appearance instead.
Was it? I thought it was only inspired by it due to how well it did compared to other genres, then again, that might explain Brain Stalker.....

Eitherway, if Layton makes it in, they should totally involve him with the Dr. Kawashima Assist Trophy in someway, its only fitting.

Yeah I suppose so, though then again, perhaps its good that the mother fans are being more organized now, or at least not being divided as much as the Zelda and Rythm Heaven fans are..
I wouldn't have minded a Paula echo though.

Yeah, I think I recall some people being a tad miffed they didn't get a viking and cone hat alt though...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
D

Deleted member

Megumi is my favourite one from the Trophy Girls in the Crash Bandicoot franchise.

I really liked the art Kirby shared because of that.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I like how the Layton series Twitter page is bringing up all these behind the scenes trivia lately.

I knew about the idea of the second game involving Layton & co getting shipwrecked on an island, interesting that they later revisited that idea for Eternal Diva.
I never knew about the title though.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
here's an odd question for my fellow british gamers, what with pokemon sword and shield having some british themes how well britain was done has been quite a topic of discussion for us (mostly how its just england not the uk) so its got me wondering, what do you all make of the britain represented in the layton games?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
here's an odd question for my fellow british gamers, what with pokemon sword and shield having some british themes how well britain was done has been quite a topic of discussion for us (mostly how its just england not the uk) so its got me wondering, what do you all make of the britain represented in the layton games?
Its pretty unique I suppose, it doesn't really feature many locations from real Britain and are mostly original asides from London itself, and even that is quite different from the real one.

But hey, I suppose that's what all the "All the locations and characters are not intended to resemble that from the real world" disclaimers at the start of every game are for...

Still an interesting choice to include a desert in the UK though...

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So here's this one stage idea that kind of popped out after playing the Spiral Mountain stage.

I suppose it doesn't really matter too much on what stage it is, whether its St Mystere or London etc.

But how about having Layton's stage work kind of like how you can explore the overworld in the original DS games? As in tapping Layton's shoe and having some arrows show up to where you can head to next.

How it could be incorporated into Smash is perhaps have a set of arrows appear that you can attack (or have the shoe icon show up somewhere first beforehand) and then be able to transport to a different area of the town (if multiple arrows are hit at once, then the stage picks randomly to where to go). In each area you can find a different set of Layton characters hanging around in the background, or perhaps maybe even find some hint coins whenever you interact with the terrain. It would be much akin to how the exploration works in the Layton series, but as a Smash stage.

I'm not quite sure on how the transition would work though, whether its like other traveling stages like Delfino Plaza, or you just seamlessly get transitioned to them like Castle Siege or how screen transitions work in the 3DS Layton games.

I suppose that's one way to do a Layton stage.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
So here's this one stage idea that kind of popped out after playing the Spiral Mountain stage.

I suppose it doesn't really matter too much on what stage it is, whether its St Mystere or London etc.

But how about having Layton's stage work kind of like how you can explore the overworld in the original DS games? As in tapping Layton's shoe and having some arrows show up to where you can head to next.

How it could be incorporated into Smash is perhaps have a set of arrows appear that you can attack (or have the shoe icon show up somewhere first beforehand) and then be able to transport to a different area of the town (if multiple arrows are hit at once, then the stage picks randomly to where to go). In each area you can find a different set of Layton characters hanging around in the background, or perhaps maybe even find some hint coins whenever you interact with the terrain. It would be much akin to how the exploration works in the Layton series, but as a Smash stage.

I'm not quite sure on how the transition would work though, whether its like other traveling stages like Delfino Plaza, or you just seamlessly get transitioned to them like Castle Siege or how screen transitions work in the 3DS Layton games.

oh that would be interesting idea, all the DLC stages seem to have unique gameplay gimmicks and that would work quite well for St. Mystere.

Perhaps the starting area could be at the base of the tower, then about 30 seconds into the match, 3 arrows appears that the players may hit to cause the stage to move to a new location. If you hit the arrow pointing right the stage moves to Reinhold manor, if hit left it goes to the abandoned park, if the up arrow is hit rises to the top of the tower. Once in a new location, arrows will eventually show up allowing the stage to adjacent locations.

At the base of the tower you could have a cameo from Granny Riddleton and Stachenscarfen. At Reinhold manor you could see Chemley, at the abandoned park you could see Don Paolo, and at the top of the tower is Flora.

Also I found this rreally cool tumblr that upscales the backgrounds of the layton games.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
oh that would be interesting idea, all the DLC stages seem to have unique gameplay gimmicks and that would work quite well for St. Mystere.

Perhaps the starting area could be at the base of the tower, then about 30 seconds into the match, 3 arrows appears that the players may hit to cause the stage to move to a new location. If you hit the arrow pointing right the stage moves to Reinhold manor, if hit left it goes to the abandoned park, if the up arrow is hit rises to the top of the tower. Once in a new location, arrows will eventually show up allowing the stage to adjacent locations.

At the base of the tower you could have a cameo from Granny Riddleton and Stachenscarfen. At Reinhold manor you could see Chemley, at the abandoned park you could see Don Paolo, and at the top of the tower is Flora.

Also I found this rreally cool tumblr that upscales the backgrounds of the layton games.
yeah that's the general gist of it. I don't know how many area's they can realistically fill in within about a six month timespan, but they might be able to get at least 5 areas in that you can transition to. If we're talking St Mystere, then definitely the main village plaza, Reinhold Manor, the abandoned park by the Ferris Wheel, the top of the tower and the main base of the tower. That should cover most of the main locales of the game.

Oh that's great to see, I hope they post more of that, perhaps maybe even the character sprites.

D

Deleted member

I really like that idea for the stage!

My father would easily dig it quite well.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
oh i just noticed your avatar picture Curious Villager Curious Villager , that amazing and adorable! Where did you find it?
Yeah the artwork is made by Mugges on Deviantart. It looks very great.

I should credit her properly in my sig though, I'll do that now.

There was another christmassy artwork with Layton, Luke, Flora and Future Luke but I couldn't find the original source of that, or a large enough image at that....

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

its an interesting concept and i think it could work

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
who's number one? for those of us to lazy to watch
The list (up to 51) for those who don't want to go through the whole video.
100 Mia (Golden Sun)
099 Cadence (CotN)
098 Katrielle (Layton)
097 Alex (ED)
096 Hat Kid (AHIT)
095 Yuri (Fatal Frame)
094 Goombella (PM)
093 Kitana (Mortal Kombat)
092 Brittany (Pikmin 3)
091 Jeane (Bayo)
090 Hilda (Zelda: ALBW)
089 Octolings (Splatoon 2)
088 Hatterene (Pokemon)
087 Aya (Parasite Eve)
086 Morrigan (Darkstalkers)
085 Nia (Xenoblade 2)
084 Birdo (SMB2)
083 Min Min (ARMS)
082 Lightning (FFXIII)
081 Jade (Beyond Good & Evil)
080 Nikki (Swap Note)
079 Jody Summer (F-Zero)
078 Toadette (NSMB)
077 Rabbid Peach (M+R)
076 Reporter (Rhythm Heaven
075 Captain Syrup (Wario)
074 Kat & Ana (Wario Ware)
073 Tsubasa (TMS #FE)
072 Hornet (hollow Knight)
071 Diantha (Pokemon)
070 Cackletta (M&L)
069 Fio (Metal Slug)
068 Ciri (Witcher)
067 Ciel (Megaman Zero)
066 Linkle (Hyrule Warriors)
065 Edea (Bravely Default)
064 Madeline (Celeste)
063 Marle (Chrono Trigger)
062 Female Protagonist (Persona 3)
061 Viridi (Kid Icarus)
060 Maria (Castlevania)
059 Anne (Persona 5)
058 Suzy (Kirby)
057 Ring Fit Trainer (Ring Fit Adventures)
056 Joanna (Perfect Dark)
055 Kumatora (Mother 3)
054 Alena (Dragon Quest)
053 Claire (Resident Evil 2)
052 Anna (Fire Emblem)
051 Yuna (Final Fantasy X)

I don't have much of an opinion on it so make of it as you will..

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Professor Layton is one of those series that I've always wanted to try, but never got around to playing the games. I'd be all for him getting into Smash (especially with the chance of another crossover with Phoenix Wright), but I've no clue what his moveset would look like or how it would work.

Have any of the Layton games been ported over to more recent platforms? My main platforms for games right now are Switch and Steam, and I'd love to try one of the games if they're available on there. I also have an iPhone, though I'm not a fan of using it for games, so I'd rather save that for a last resort.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This is only 100-51. They're going to post the rest later I think

51 is some final fantasy chick
yuna, shes awesome, well in the first one

The list (up to 51) for those who don't want to go through the whole video.
100 Mia (Golden Sun)
099 Cadence (CotN)
098 Katrielle (Layton)
097 Alex (ED)
096 Hat Kid (AHIT)
095 Yuri (Fatal Frame)
094 Goombella (PM)
093 Kitana (Mortal Kombat)
092 Brittany (Pikmin 3)
091 Jeane (Bayo)
090 Hilda (Zelda: ALBW)
089 Octolings (Splatoon 2)
088 Hatterene (Pokemon)
087 Aya (Parasite Eve)
086 Morrigan (Darkstalkers)
085 Nia (Xenoblade 2)
084 Birdo (SMB2)
083 Min Min (ARMS)
082 Lightning (FFXIII)
081 Jade (Beyond Good & Evil)
080 Nikki (Swap Note)
079 Jody Summer (F-Zero)
078 Toadette (NSMB)
077 Rabbid Peach (M+R)
076 Reporter (Rhythm Heaven
075 Captain Syrup (Wario)
074 Kat & Ana (Wario Ware)
073 Tsubasa (TMS #FE)
072 Hornet (hollow Knight)
071 Diantha (Pokemon)
070 Cackletta (M&L)
069 Fio (Metal Slug)
068 Ciri (Witcher)
067 Ciel (Megaman Zero)
066 Linkle (Hyrule Warriors)
065 Edea (Bravely Default)
064 Madeline (Celeste)
063 Marle (Chrono Trigger)
062 Female Protagonist (Persona 3)
061 Viridi (Kid Icarus)
060 Maria (Castlevania)
059 Anne (Persona 5)
058 Suzy (Kirby)
057 Ring Fit Trainer (Ring Fit Adventures)
056 Joanna (Perfect Dark)
055 Kumatora (Mother 3)
054 Alena (Dragon Quest)
053 Claire (Resident Evil 2)
052 Anna (Fire Emblem)
051 Yuna (Final Fantasy X)

I don't have much of an opinion on it so make of it as you will..
what toadette is that far down, they seem to be heading their bets by including some who would likely have male alts

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Professor Layton is one of those series that I've always wanted to try, but never got around to playing the games. I'd be all for him getting into Smash (especially with the chance of another crossover with Phoenix Wright), but I've no clue what his moveset would look like or how it would work.

Have any of the Layton games been ported over to more recent platforms? My main platforms for games right now are Switch and Steam, and I'd love to try one of the games if they're available on there. I also have an iPhone, though I'm not a fan of using it for games, so I'd rather save that for a last resort.
Well there are rumours currently floating around that Curious Village HD will be coming to the Switch but we have yet to hear much on that front....

Currently the only Layton game available on the Switch is Layton's Mystery Journey Deluxe.
The HD remasters of Curious Village and Diabolical/Pandora's Box is available on IOS/Android devices, it remains to be seen if those entries will be making their way to the Switch anytime soon.

As for Layton's potential moveset, while it might be a tad unorthodox, we have looked around for different ways his moveset could potentially be approached as well as seeing how Sakurai designed other characters in the past, depending on what direction they could take the character in. There are some movesets laid down by myself and others at the OP so feel free to check those out if you want.

Eitherway, I'm happy to see you here and that the series has caught your interest! If you need to know more, feel free to ask.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

As of now, the only way to get the games are on the DS/3DS consoles and on Mobile devices, the most recent game staring his daughter just got a Switch port a few weeks ago but nothing from the mainline games yet.

For Layton's move set, he is an adept fencer and has the ability to make contraptions out of simple house hold items like MacGyver (Such as a slot machine into a Machine gun or turning some dinosaur bones and some cloth into a glider). They could also decide to take inspiration from the various puzzles from his series and incorporate it into some moves, but that would take some Sakurai level of creative thinking.

amageish

Smash Master

Katrielle is #98!!

At least she made it :p
It has Katrielle, the Persona 3 FeMC (even using my preferred name of Kotone), and Anna. That means this is a good video. I'm interested in seeing who gets in the second half...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Top Bottom