• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

MattX20

Smash Hero
Layton may yet still be playable though, even with the recent Resident Evil spirit board confirmation. We should reserve judgement and wait and see

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Layton may yet still be playable though, even with the recent Resident Evil spirit board confirmation. We should reserve judgement and wait and see
Oh I agree, just contemplating the possibility of being a spirit. All things considered, right now is probably the best Layton's chances have ever been.
Yeah your right, I'd rather the series at least finally be acknowledged in Smash, it deserves that much at least.

But at the same time.... It feels like we're so close....

Maybe its just me...
I know, I hate to use the word "deserve" since it can be subjective and it can seem kind of entitled, but do I feel Like Layton deserves it, so him not making it would be quite disappointing. Anyway, all we can do is hope for the best for now.

Matthjass

Smash Cadet
NNID
MathsJass
3DS FC
0602-7469-3826
Switch FC
SW 8578 0545 0012
Maybe he's not DLC 5 but I'm 100% sure we'll get something from Layton as DLC...
And yeah even if it's just a spirit it would be way better than having nothing at all. :/

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
thats what im thinking, the RE spirits feels a little random, but thats smash aint kind of random, so i dont think we need to worry yet

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah lets hope for the best, hopefully Layton gets confirmed as soon as possible so we don't have to stress ourselves out too much over this within the coming next year, I don't know how many more bullets we can keep dodging at this point...

On an unrelated note.

That's.... interesting...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah lets hope for the best, hopefully Layton gets confirmed as soon as possible so we don't have to stress ourselves out too much over this within the coming next year, I don't know how many more bullets we can keep dodging at this point...

On an unrelated note.

How different things would have been

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

On an unrelated note.

Brain Stalker. Man that's metal.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Speaking of things changed during development, here is some of the concept art of Layton's design before it was finalized.

Wait, are all of those supposed to be Layton? Even mustache guy?

Either way I'm loving that wide-eyed Layton, he looks like he just realized he made a wrong turn and is in the middle of bum-**** nowhere.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Speaking of things changed during development, here is some of the concept art of Layton's design before it was finalized.
Why does the bottom right one look like a good 'Hoes Mad'/'Your Tears' meme material if Layton where to make it in and inevitable salt approaches...?

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Here's a higher res version of the concept art from the HD version.
I suppose the animal companion was partly what inspired them to give Katrielle one later on, either that, or it probably inspired the animal buddies that Layton and Luke travel with throughout the original series.

I'm always quite fond of these concept artworks Level-5 include in the Layton series.

Here's a new one that was included in the HD remaster of Curious Village, spoilers for the end game though.

concept art 2.png

Seems like Don Paolo's flying contraption was originally a flying automobile, pretty interesting that they later revisited that idea in Lost Future.
Whenever Lost Future HD happens, I hope they share more concept art from the game. Or at least bring over the art from the game's manual in HD like they did for Curious Village HD.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Here's a higher res version of the concept art from the HD version.

I suppose the animal companion was partly what inspired them to give Katrielle one later on, either that, or it probably inspired the animal buddies that Layton and Luke travel with throughout the original series.

I'm always quite fond of these concept artworks Level-5 include in the Layton series.

Here's a new one that was included in the HD remaster of Curious Village, spoilers for the end game though.

Whenever Lost Future HD happens, I hope they share more concept art from the game. Or at least bring over the art from the game's manual in HD like they did for Curious Village HD.
ooh i like it, i can just hear him swearing revenge

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Happy 7th anniversary Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright.

May the iconic finger pointing duo join together once more on the Smash battlefield one day as well.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Happy 7th anniversary Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright.

May the iconic finger pointing duo join together once more on the Smash battlefield one day as well.
Seven years already?! Man, I feel old.

Legit great game though. A real rollercoaster all the way through.

One of my favorite parts in that game was when Layton and Maya were "dead" and Phoenix had to be like Luke's guardian, I dunno why but that part always stuck with me.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

One of my favorite parts in that game was when Layton and Maya were "dead" and Phoenix had to be like Luke's guardian, I dunno why but that part always stuck with me.
the bit where layton rescues maya was amazing

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Yeah, for some reason Phoenix and Luke bounce off each other really well, I enjoyed that part a lot.

Badass scenes like this are why I want him in smash

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Damn right it was.

Yeah, for some reason Phoenix and Luke bounce off each other really well, I enjoyed that part a lot.

Badass scenes like this are why I want him in smash
I thought it really worked as foreshadowing to Phoenix later becoming a dad. His paternal side really came out. That scene where he's with that bartender late at night talking about his concerns for Maya but hiding them for the sake of the kids was just so cool.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, in case you lads haven't heard, even the Tales Of series isn't immune from the leakers' snap for FP5.

It increasingly looks to be a character that's niche, but not necessarily having any noteworthy demand either. In other words, perfectly up to Sak's tastes.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Its been admittedly quite sometime since I last played the crossover, so memory is a tad foggy, perhaps a replay is in order.

So, in case you lads haven't heard, even the Tales Of series isn't immune from the leakers' snap for FP5.

It increasingly looks to be a character that's niche, but not necessarily having any noteworthy demand either. In other words, perfectly up to Sak's tastes.
Really now? I guess fighter 5 will probably be a dark horse pick too then. Here's hoping for either Layton or Phoenix then....

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well I suppose that's something for now, what are the overal list of characters that are seemingly out of the question for fighter 5 now?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Alright so from what I've gathered, the characters shot down by Vergeben & Sabi are as follows
Crash
Geno
Doomguy
Scorpion
Ryu Hayabusa
Tracer
Gordon Freeman
Dante
All Ubisoft characters
All Nippon Ichi Software Characters
All Falcom Characters
Tales of character

Assuming their sources weren't messing with them and taking into account other dev's that disconfirmed their characters (assuming they weren't pulling a Grand Kirkhope)

I suppose it may probably be down between Namco/Capcom getting another fighter or another new company being included that has been quiet throughout this whole thing, hopefully Level-5.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well frankly thats a list of characters id prefer didnt get into smash, so good news for me

thing about this whole thing is that surely some one, whoever's giving out the info must have some idea who the character is, so why in the world are they just telling us who its not when last time they were tripping over themselves to tell us who it was

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
well frankly thats a list of characters id prefer didnt get into smash, so good news for me

thing about this whole thing is that surely some one, whoever's giving out the info must have some idea who the character is, so why in the world are they just telling us who its not when last time they were tripping over themselves to tell us who it was
Probably because the DLC is being developed by a smaller team compared to the base game, therefore the source can be identified much more easily. Which is probably why we don't get any confirmation on who the DLC characters are until the last minute.

Its much safer to say who isn't fighter 5 than to say who it is and risk losing your job and getting blacklisted from the industry.

That being said, I do feel that the possibility of fighter 5 being a character from Level-5 to be quite a large possibility. It might just be me looking too much into things and the little breadcrumbs that are thrown around here and there though....

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Probably because the DLC is being developed by a smaller team compared to the base game, therefore the source can be identified much more easily. Which is probably why we don't get any confirmation on who the DLC characters are until the last minute.

Its much safer to say who isn't fighter 5 than to say who it is and risk losing your job and getting blacklisted from the industry.

That being said, I do feel that the possibility of fighter 5 being a character from Level-5 to be quite a large possibility. It might just be me looking too much into things and the little breadcrumbs that are thrown around here and there though....
i get not wanting to risk the job but it just seems odd to keep quiet now when someone had clearly leaked hero and terry. cant remember if they leaked b&k or not there were rumours about them right from the get go.

i honestly dont know who to expect for fp5 theyve lost the element of surprise and it honestly seems like he'll put anyone in, a level-5 character would be nice i just hope its layton, nate or oliver

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
i get not wanting to risk the job but it just seems odd to keep quiet now when someone had clearly leaked hero and terry. cant remember if they leaked b&k or not there were rumours about them right from the get go.

i honestly dont know who to expect for fp5 theyve lost the element of surprise and it honestly seems like he'll put anyone in, a level-5 character would be nice i just hope its layton, nate or oliver
Hero seems to be a tad complicated as it seems to be a character they where planning, or at least where interested in including in the base roster, at least from what I could gather.

Terry wasn't really rumoured until the last minute when one of the Nintendo of Europe branch website screwed up and accidentally leaked the SNK copyright.

Banjo Kazooie is a bit weird as there where indeed a lot of rumours for a Microsoft character, insiders weren't fully set on them yet until a week or so before E3 though.

I suppose it depends on whether or not a given company itself has a history on whether or not they can keep their mouths shut...

I'm kind of leaning on it potentially being a new company, at least, that's what this fighters pass has mostly been leaning on to as well as some other elements and info we have been seeing and hearing about. (either that, or its probably Phoenix or Heihachi) Hopefully it won't be too long until we finally find out for sure though.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I recall that S-E members where enraged when someone within their umbrella leaked Hero. Fortunately, absolutely no one there has bothered to scour the entire Internet, otherwise Smashboards and other places would have been placed on lockdown from Fall 2018 to E3 2019 (to say nothing of that so-called Square Seven theory).

For all we know, it could even be a first-party that barely anyone continued to consider when everyone else is deadset on third-party. That'd be even less expected.

I'm open as to who it could be, I'm not considering any company a solid guarantee until the VGAs air 12 days from now.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Level-5 doesn't have much of a history with leaks do they? Closest thing I can recall is probably the rumour of Curious Village HD coming to Switch but who knows when that comes to pass. I suppose there was also the ESRB confirmation of LMJ Deluxe coming to the west but that one was kind of a no brainer, still it counts I suppose.

I don't really know much about the history with Atlus and SNK and the rumours/leaks they have dealt with in the past. It seems to be a common thing with Nintendo, Square Enix and I think Namco though.

I suppose there is always the possibility that it might be a first party character, yes.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Atlus are more known about announcing an announcement than anything else, as far as I know nothing is leaked from them unless you consider peeking into the Japanese version of a game before its NA release a leak.

Basically, the more well-known you are, the likelier it is that people will see what's inside your Christmas presents.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hero seems to be a tad complicated as it seems to be a character they where planning, or at least where interested in including in the base roster, at least from what I could gather.

Terry wasn't really rumoured until the last minute when one of the Nintendo of Europe branch website screwed up and accidentally leaked the SNK copyright.

Banjo Kazooie is a bit weird as there where indeed a lot of rumours for a Microsoft character, insiders weren't fully set on them yet until a week or so before E3 though.

I suppose it depends on whether or not a given company itself has a history on whether or not they can keep their mouths shut...

I'm kind of leaning on it potentially being a new company, at least, that's what this fighters pass has mostly been leaning on to as well as some other elements and info we have been seeing and hearing about. (either that, or its probably Phoenix or Heihachi) Hopefully it won't be too long until we finally find out for sure though.
Well we’ve had two new companies and two old ones, albeit with a new subsidiary

Ornl

Smash Ace
I don't think Capcom or Bamco will have the FP5. It stays Phoenix Wright, but I don't think he's more likely than Monster Hunter. I don't think there will be Tekken because we just had Terry. (and Tekken isn't "unexpected" nor "never seen it coming"). I don't think Xenosaga or SoulCalibur are more likely than Tales/Tekken. I don't think that Konami, Sega, Squenix, Microsoft or SNK will have a new Fighter before the end of the FP. Hayabusa isn't the 5th Fighter, and I don't think that Dynasty Warriors is more likely. Here is where it would stay IMO:
Minecraft - Resident Evil - Overwatch - Kingdom Hearts - Yo-kai Watch - Tales - Touhou Project - Tekken - Assassin's Creed - Dynasty Warriors - Digimon - Devil May Cry - Yakuza - Halo - Tamagotchi - Story of Seasons - Souls - Ace Attorney - Phantasy Star - Professor Layton - DOOM > Tomb Raider - Puyo Puyo - Disgaea - Suikoden - Guilty Gear - Ys - Dead or Alive - NieR - The Elder Scroll - Crash Bandicoot - Mystery Dungeon - SoulCalibur - Ōkami - Ninja Gaiden - Sakura Wars - Space Invaders - Rayman - Raving Rabbits - The Tower of Druaga - Bubble Bobble - No More Heroes - Katamari

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't really know at this point, whatever happens, happens I guess...

Perhaps I should try out one of the Yokai Watch games sometime.

Top Bottom