• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Considering how he can even make a garden-variety plant work, it seems to me like that there's very little in the way of character concepts that wouldn't be a fun challenge to adapt.

So, please don't overthink it, we got enough of that going around as it is.
Yeah I'm sure he'll be fine, like I said, Layton is a flexible character and Hino stated that Sakurai is free to decide Layton's moveset as he please. So it would be interesting to see what he would come up with for the character.

I was also surprised to see all the character cameo's on Terry's stage, about 20 characters at that, it would be very interesting to see how many characters would cameo on Layton's stage. I really like that they have been doing that for the DLC characters so far.

amageish

Smash Master
I was also surprised to see all the character cameo's on Terry's stage, about 20 characters at that, it would be very interesting to see how many characters would cameo on Layton's stage. I really like that they have been doing that for the DLC characters so far.
I feel like SNK is the high tide and we can realistically expect 5-10 characters, depending on what the stage is. If it's somehow just a generic Layton stage and characters can appear with no timeline concerns, then let's say: Luke, Emmy, Flora, Chemley, Don Paolo, Descole, and Katrielle. Maybe Ernest and Sherlock too, if they want to lean into the modern.

Also, just for fun, if they did do an oft-requested Layton and Wright double-reveal and both stages had cameos, it would be fun if both stages had Espella appear on them.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Considering how he can even make a garden-variety plant work, it seems to me like that there's very little in the way of character concepts that wouldn't be a fun challenge to adapt.

So, please don't overthink it, we got enough of that going around as it is.
well when the character you want most is one who has been passed over so many times for other characters in his series it does make you think that he thinks said character is boring

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I feel like SNK is the high tide and we can realistically expect 5-10 characters, depending on what the stage is. If it's somehow just a generic Layton stage and characters can appear with no timeline concerns, then let's say: Luke, Emmy, Flora, Chemley, Don Paolo, Descole, and Katrielle. Maybe Ernest and Sherlock too, if they want to lean into the modern.

Also, just for fun, if they did do an oft-requested Layton and Wright double-reveal and both stages had cameos, it would be fun if both stages had Espella appear on them.
I don't think we will have to worry about any timeline shenanigans as far as character cameo's are concerned, in fact, didn't Sakurai state that one of the characters in Terry's stage technically don't make sense to be there due to timeline reasons?

I think it will be fine to have the characters from the original Professor Layton series along with the characters from the Layton's Mystery Journey/Layton Brothers world hanging around side by side, even if it would be quite jarring to see young Luke next to adult Katrielle....

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't think we will have to worry about any timeline shenanigans as far as character cameo's are concerned, in fact, didn't Sakurai state that one of the characters in Terry's stage technically don't make sense to be there due to timeline reasons?

I think it will be fine to have the characters from the original Professor Layton series along with the characters from the Layton's Mystery Journey/Layton Brothers world hanging around side by side, even if it would be quite jarring to see young Luke next to adult Katrielle....
certainly never been a problem for zelda

amageish

Smash Master

Yes, he did, though that was due to continuity with the other characters and not due to the location AFIAK. Everyone being in St. Mystere is a bit weirder to me, but I also doubt that would actually be an obstacle for it happening.

Oh, yeah, Alfendi and Lucy would also make sense for sure! Forgot about them, oops.. I don't think that timeline concerns would feel that weird when you have Banjo punching Snake in the face, but fair...

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I wonder how easygoing Level-5 is with their music rights, it would be cool if we could get some other songs from Level-5 games just like how Terry came with Metal Slug music.

Any songs in particular from outside of the Layton series y’all would like to see?

amageish

Smash Master
I wonder how easygoing Level-5 is with their music rights, it would be cool if we could get some other songs from Level-5 games just like how Terry came with Metal Slug music.

Any songs in particular from outside of the Layton series y’all would like to see?
Not to spoil the fun before it begins, but I honestly would say none of them. Not that I don't like non-Layton Level-5 series, but I don't think any of them deserve to be ne under the Layton Series in My Music. They could easily be their own IPs and regulating them to part of the Layton series would just feel weird? Even if some representation is better then none, having them act as Sans-esque mii costumes with music tracks would make more sense to me then having them be part of Layton's set...

At least King of Fighters kind of combines all of SNK's main franchises into effectively one giant franchise, so it doesn't strike me as completely insane that they are being treated as a package deal for Smash (even though the fact we got so much content really speaks to the generousness of SNK and/or the willingness of Sakurai to spend money on music licensing for an IP he cares so much about). Yokai Watch or Fantasy Life have virtually nothing to do with Layton, so it would just be weird for their songs to appear on the stage, in my mind at least...

That said, I would love really any Fantasy Life music to appear in Smash in any form, so idk. If it happens, that would be cool, but I don't think it's likely and think it would be kind of odd if it did happen.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Not to spoil the fun before it begins, but I honestly would say none of them. Not that I don't like non-Layton Level-5 series, but I don't think any of them deserve to be ne under the Layton Series in My Music. They could easily be their own IPs and regulating them to part of the Layton series would just feel weird? Even if some representation is better then none, having them act as Sans-esque mii costumes with music tracks would make more sense to me then having them be part of Layton's set...

At least King of Fighters kind of combines all of SNK's main franchises into effectively one giant franchise, so it doesn't strike me as completely insane that they are being treated as a package deal for Smash (even though the fact we got so much content really speaks to the generousness of SNK and/or the willingness of Sakurai to spend money on music licensing for an IP he cares so much about). Yokai Watch or Fantasy Life have virtually nothing to do with Layton, so it would just be weird for their songs to appear on the stage, in my mind at least...

That said, I would love really any Fantasy Life music to appear in Smash in any form, so idk. If it happens, that would be cool, but I don't think it's likely and think it would be kind of odd if it did happen.
I guess that is kind of true, SNK crosses over with itself all the time so the music overlap is a little more fitting. Level-5 really doesn't have the precedent for that.

Also on an unsurprising and unrelated note, it looks like we won't get any PLvsPW music seeing as there is no Capcom vs SNK music with Terry.

amageish

Smash Master
I guess that is kind of true, SNK crosses over with itself all the time so the music overlap is a little more fitting. Level-5 really doesn't have the precedent for that.

Also on an unsurprising and unrelated note, it looks like we won't get any PLvsPW music seeing as there is no Capcom vs SNK music with Terry.
Yeah... That would potentially be a cool idea for a sequel though, if they ever reboot Smash and end up doing a lot of cuts. It'd be cool for third-parties to have company-based stages that includes music tracks and cameos from the entire company? Though maybe that's a bit too PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle-Royale-esque...

That's unfortunate, but not especially surprising. I do think it could be different if we did somehow get a Layton/Wright dual-release; however, the odds of that seems unlikely as previously discussed.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

ideally id like to see yokai watch as its own series in smash but if thats not an option i would like to see the battle theme from the first game in there

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yes, he did, though that was due to continuity with the other characters and not due to the location AFIAK. Everyone being in St. Mystere is a bit weirder to me, but I also doubt that would actually be an obstacle for it happening.

Oh, yeah, Alfendi and Lucy would also make sense for sure! Forgot about them, oops.. I don't think that timeline concerns would feel that weird when you have Banjo punching Snake in the face, but fair...
I mean, I don't know if the location itself would necessarily really matter, as Sakurai said, Smash in general tends to ignore timeline inconsistency's. If not St.Mystere and they need something a bit more universal to the series as a whole in terms of stage choices then I suppose they could always go for London/Gressenheller University. I think that location has been present in every game in the series now, including the HD version of Curious Village thanks to the new animated cutscenes.

If we where to consider every important character, we'd have at least Luke (assuming he's not present with Layton himself in someway) Flora, Emmy, Katrielle, Don Paolo, Chelmey, Barton, Descole, Grosky, Ernest, Sherl, Emiliana, Hastings, Alfendi and Lucy

That would be about 15 characters, give or take, throw in Stachenscarfen, Granny Riddleton, Future Luke, Aurora and Anton as additional optional and fan favourite characters as well if they can and want to. I don't think we'd reach that threshold though even if it would be amazing to see...

I wouldn't mind seeing some Inazuma Eleven tunes included if we can, though I don't know how likely it is that we would be getting any songs from other Level-5 franchises though, plus I'd imagine that fans of those series would rather these tunes be reserved for their franchises in the chance they manage to get some content as well, or at least have them be put in the other section for My Music...

Edit:

Just realized that Terry's Spirit Board is a scrolling screen. Imagine if they did something like that for Layton's spirit board with the start screen from Curious Village or Lost Future, with the Layton mobile driving along?

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I mean, I don't know if the location itself would necessarily really matter, as Sakurai said, Smash in general tends to ignore timeline inconsistency's. If not St.Mystere and they need something a bit more universal to the series as a whole in terms of stage choices then I suppose they could always go for London/Gressenheller University. I think that location has been present in every game in the series now, including the HD version of Curious Village thanks to the new animated cutscenes.

If we where to consider every important character, we'd have at least Luke (assuming he's not present with Layton himself in someway) Flora, Emmy, Katrielle, Don Paolo, Chelmey, Barton, Descole, Grosky, Ernest, Sherl, Emiliana, Hastings, Alfendi and Lucy

That would be about 15 characters, give or take, throw in Stachenscarfen, Granny Riddleton, Future Luke, Aurora and Anton as additional optional and fan favourite characters as well if they can and want to. I don't think we'd reach that threshold though even if it would be amazing to see...
I definitely don't think it would matter; I just personally would be a bit more confused by it, for whatever reason. I have always been hoping for the day a real-world location gets into Smash, so I would personally love it if we had a Gressenheller stage that also casually included Big Ben; however, St Mystere is definitely more iconic from a "people who have Layton nostalgia" PoV.

I don't think they would do that many characters either, but that would be amazing if they had all of them. Riddleton especially would be mildly hilarious.

Just realized that Terry's Spirit Board is a scrolling screen. Imagine if they did something like that for Layton's spirit board with the start screen from Curious Village or Lost Future, with the Layton mobile driving along?
On the one hand, that would be awesome. On the other hand, I feel like the spirit board being the inside of the Professor's Trunk is an easy and logical choice.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I definitely don't think it would matter; I just personally would be a bit more confused by it, for whatever reason. I have always been hoping for the day a real-world location gets into Smash, so I would personally love it if we had a Gressenheller stage that also casually included Big Ben; however, St Mystere is definitely more iconic from a "people who have Layton nostalgia" PoV.

I don't think they would do that many characters either, but that would be amazing if they had all of them. Riddleton especially would be mildly hilarious.

On the one hand, that would be awesome. On the other hand, I feel like the spirit board being the inside of the Professor's Trunk is an easy and logical choice.
It depends on what they would go for, I'd imagine they would probably go for one of the more iconic and recognizable locations. So probably either St.Mystere, The Molentary Express or London/Gressenheller Univirsity are probably my best guesses to potential stages for Layton.

For sure, I'd hope they will at least bring over some of the characters from the DS games that never got any 3D models before...

The Professor Trunk is another option yes, or perhaps a Puzzle template, Layton's not short for options to what they could do, which is pretty exciting to know.

By the way, Layton's Mystery Journey Deluxe is out now and a number of reviews are in.
Hopefully with larger news outlets like GameXplain chiming in, the game would do well. Its definitely got a lot more attention than the HD remasters did...
I think I'll buy it just to support the series and Level-5 at least. Plus I've really been starving for more Layton stuff for a very long time now. Here's hoping they will finally announce the latest game sooner or later...

amageish

Smash Master
It depends on what they would go for, I'd imagine they would probably go for one of the more iconic and recognizable locations. So probably either St.Mystere, The Molentary Express or London/Gressenheller Univirsity are probably my best guesses to potential stages for Layton.
Yeah, those places all make sense to me. I guess there is also the possiblity a new game will be announced and the stage is be main location that hypothetical new game takes place in too....

Hopefully with larger news outlets like GameXplain chiming in, the game would do well. Its definitely got a lot more attention than the HD remasters did...
I think I'll buy it just to support the series and Level-5 at least. Plus I've really been starving for more Layton stuff for a very long time now. Here's hoping they will finally announce the latest game sooner or later...
Reviews are about what I expect. Hopefully it does decently!

I bought it as well and have begun playing it. I'm enjoying it quite a bit; it is very nice having all the costumes on the cartridge especially. I like being able to unlock those naturally. I do wonder where the Flora outfit is though - did they actually leave it as 3DS exclusive, or is it a completion bonus of some kind?

Also...

I had never noticed this line from the ambassador: "No matter what happens, you will never exit our [i.e., European's] hearts." Is this implying that Brexit is canon in the Layton series? As that feels like a sly reference to it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah, those places all make sense to me. I guess there is also the possiblity a new game will be announced and the stage is be main location that hypothetical new game takes place in too....

Reviews are about what I expect. Hopefully it does decently!

I bought it as well and have begun playing it. I'm enjoying it quite a bit; it is very nice having all the costumes on the cartridge especially. I like being able to unlock those naturally. I do wonder where the Flora outfit is though - did they actually leave it as 3DS exclusive, or is it a completion bonus of some kind?

Also...

I had never noticed this line from the ambassador: "No matter what happens, you will never exit our [i.e., European's] hearts." Is this implying that Brexit is canon in the Layton series? As that feels like a sly reference to it.
Hmm I haven't thought about that, but that's also a possibility I suppose. Though I suppose that depends on whether Level-5 shared any behind the scenes tidbits with Sakurai in regards to the next Layton game, which I suppose is possible if Joker is anything to go by...

I know the game is a tad controversial when it comes to the Layton fandom, but I still hope it does well. Especially after how off Level-5 has been behaving lately..

They said that all the DLC outfits are present but I don't know if that also goes for Flora's 3DS pre order outfit as I haven't seen it yet. That would be such a cruel joke if that was the sole outfit that is left out again. Hino please stop being so cruel to the poor girl...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Hmm I haven't thought about that, but that's also a possibility I suppose. Though I suppose that depends on whether Level-5 shared any behind the scenes tidbits with Sakurai in regards to the next Layton game, which I suppose is possible if Joker is anything to go by...

I know the game is a tad controversial when it comes to the Layton fandom, but I still hope it does well. Especially after how off Level-5 has been behaving lately..

They said that all the DLC outfits are present but I don't know if that also goes for Flora's 3DS pre order outfit as I haven't seen it yet. That would be such a cruel joke if that was the sole outfit that is left out again. Hino please stop being so cruel to the poor girl...
I think it's definitely possible, if nothing else. It depends on if Layton would be getting in with promotion of new games as a priority, of course.

Yeah, definitely. I feel slightly optimistic, given how well the Switch did and how many people seem to be getting it for the first time.

It would be very cruel - I get that Flora had "3DS exclusive" in all of the advertising, but I don't think anyone would expect it remain exclusive after a Deluxe Version comes out on another platform... I can't find any evidence by googling, but I hope it is just a completion bonus or unlocked later in the game (ex/ from completing trunk games maybe?). The Level-5 crossover outfits also seem to be missing, which is less surprising, but I would like them too...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think it's definitely possible, if nothing else. It depends on if Layton would be getting in with promotion of new games as a priority, of course.

Yeah, definitely. I feel slightly optimistic, given how well the Switch did and how many people seem to be getting it for the first time.

It would be very cruel - I get that Flora had "3DS exclusive" in all of the advertising, but I don't think anyone would expect it remain exclusive after a Deluxe Version comes out on another platform... I can't find any evidence by googling, but I hope it is just a completion bonus or unlocked later in the game (ex/ from completing trunk games maybe?). The Level-5 crossover outfits also seem to be missing, which is less surprising, but I would like them too...
Yeah I suppose only time would tell, if the next game is based around the events of the anime, then I suppose we could see some elements from the anime as well. Like Layton using the candle holder as one of his attacks.

That sounds good, I have seen a lot more talks for this game and more people being aware of it, yes. I suppose at the end of the day, most Layton fans are Nintendo fans so the games might do better on the Switch as a result. All the more reason to bring the HD remasters over to the Switch as well, right?

I think her outfit was a preorder bonus for the Japanese version of LMJ Deluxe as well if I recall correctly. So the outfit should be present in game as well, especially since they didn't do any pre order bonus in the western release. So hopefully it is in the game, just unlocked later on.
Inb4 you unlock it right after you 100% complete the game.

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah I suppose only time would tell, if the next game is based around the events of the anime, then I suppose we could see some elements from the anime as well. Like Layton using the candle holder as one of his attacks.
True as well! That would be interested...

That sounds good, I have seen a lot more talks for this game and more people being aware of it, yes. I suppose at the end of the day, most Layton fans are Nintendo fans so the games might do better on the Switch as a result. All the more reason to bring the HD remasters over to the Switch as well, right?
True! I do find it amusing how even the most positive reviews note that the most exciting part of the port is that it proves future Layton ports/titles on Switch are possible. I do really like this quote from the Destructoid review:

First of all, it has more than 50 new outfits to unlock and dress Katrielle up in and I am 100% here for that. I would buy this game if it was nothing but playing dress-up with Katrielle and then taking her around London to eat pastries and squid ink spaghetti. But there's more. Beyond the cute outfits, the new puzzles, and spectacular HD artwork, the biggest addition to this edition of Layton's Mystery Journey is its presentation. Namely, Level-5 figured out how to make a one-screen game out of a two-screen experience.
The admission hat the game shines better in it's presentation then its story, followed by talking about how its most impressive feet is adapting the Layton gameplay style to a console is very entertaining to me...

I think her outfit was a preorder bonus for the Japanese version of LMJ Deluxe as well if I recall correctly. So the outfit should be present in game as well, especially since they didn't do any pre order bonus in the western release. So hopefully it is in the game, just unlocked later on.
Inb4 you unlock it right after you 100% complete the game.
Ahhhhhh, okay. Hopefully it is! As said in the above quote, there are supposed to be over 50 new unlockable outfits and the ones you start with are all the DLC ones from the mobile release (ignoring the Yokai Watch and Inazuma Eleven outfits), so it definitely could be hidden somewhere... I'm just surprised I can't find any information about it... I know the game is new and not especially popular, but you'd think someone would do a "How to Unlock the Special Flora Outfit" article somewhere...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
True as well! That would be interested...

True! I do find it amusing how even the most positive reviews note that the most exciting part of the port is that it proves future Layton ports/titles on Switch are possible. I do really like this quote from the Destructoid review:

The admission hat the game shines better in it's presentation then its story, followed by talking about how its most impressive feet is adapting the Layton gameplay style to a console is very entertaining to me...

Ahhhhhh, okay. Hopefully it is! As said in the above quote, there are supposed to be over 50 new unlockable outfits and the ones you start with are all the DLC ones from the mobile release (ignoring the Yokai Watch and Inazuma Eleven outfits), so it definitely could be hidden somewhere... I'm just surprised I can't find any information about it... I know the game is new and not especially popular, but you'd think someone would do a "How to Unlock the Special Flora Outfit" article somewhere...
Yeah I think that's pretty much what people are more interested in, the series future or other entries rather than this particular entry in question... I suppose only time will tell, but hopefully we'll find out soon enough.

That's odd, you'd think Flora's outfit would be available from the start as well? The way Level-5's been handling this outfit in particular has just been strange in general.
To being a pre order bonus in the 3DS version and the Japanese Switch port (Why was that outfit in particular used as a pre order bonus?) to not being available at all in the mobile release to also currently being unknown if its available in the Western release of LMJ Deluxe.

I hope its in though and not some sort of late game reward at that. Flora's outfit is probably one of the best and most accurate looking cosplay outfits that Katrielle can wear (at least imo) so I'd like to be able to use it as soon as possible within the game....

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
That's odd, you'd think Flora's outfit would be available from the start as well? The way Level-5's been handling this outfit in particular has just been strange in general.
To being a pre order bonus in the 3DS version and the Japanese Switch port (Why was that outfit in particular used as a pre order bonus?) to not being available at all in the mobile release to also currently being unknown if its available in the Western release of LMJ Deluxe.

I hope its in though and not some sort of late game reward at that. Flora's outfit is probably one of the best and most accurate looking cosplay outfits that Katrielle can wear (at least imo) so I'd like to be able to use it as soon as possible within the game....
It's definitely been weirdly handled, I agree. I'm almost wondering if it'll be free DLC at some point, assuming it isn't hidden in the game somewhere... I'm going to be mildly salty if it comes out once I've finished the game - I just had that happen with Anna being DLC in Three Houses and don't really want it to happen again...

It's definitely one of the most accurate, as Kat and Flora look super similar. I like mixing the outfits up, but she definitely would be one of my go-tos if she was included. The fact Aurora was an option by default and she wasn't is also just... super weird.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's definitely been weirdly handled, I agree. I'm almost wondering if it'll be free DLC at some point, assuming it isn't hidden in the game somewhere... I'm going to be mildly salty if it comes out once I've finished the game - I just had that happen with Anna being DLC in Three Houses and don't really want it to happen again...

It's definitely one of the most accurate, as Kat and Flora look super similar. I like mixing the outfits up, but she definitely would be one of my go-tos if she was included. The fact Aurora was an option by default and she wasn't is also just... super weird.
I don't know if they would be doing any DLC for the game since I don't think they did any of the sort for the Japanese release. It's probably hidden in the game somewhere, hopefully...

I guess its just another example of Level-5 being weird when it comes to Flora...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
perhaps they were trying to give level-5 a hint
Well I like how its also featured next to the new Mario & Sonic game as this week's new Switch game highlights. Its nice that Nintendo is still doing their best to promote and support the series.

Well at least over.... Garfield Kart.....

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well I like how its also featured next to the new Mario & Sonic game as this week's new Switch game highlights. Its nice that Nintendo is still doing their best to promote and support the series.

yeah thats something

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Yo Garfield Kart's getting a Switch port?? This truly is a timeline.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So it seems that Crash, Ryu Hayabusa, Doomguy and Geno are all out of the question for fighter 5 if Sabi is to be believed.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
I'm going out on a limb and assume that its probably going to be a present third party double dipping like Capcom or Namco.
Would be nice if Level-5 got to have nice things too though....

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
>Insiders say Crash, Ryu, Doomguy and Geno aren't fighter 5
>Colour theory (assuming that holds any water) suggests fighter 5 possibly related to the colour orange
>If Hero, Banjo and Terry where meant to appeal to Japanese, American and Chinese/Latin American audiences, then that would leave Europe as one of the remaining main regions with no DLC character mostly popular with them yet.
>No character that mostly appeals to a female audience yet
>Sakurai stating that he wants to support more Japanese companies through Smash and has shown to (mostly) do so with this fighters pass.
>Level-5 one of the last few remaining Japanese third parties that aren't present in Smash yet in any capacity.
>Lost Future HD still not announced yet for Japan for whatever reason.

Why is everything so disappointingly convenient bros?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm heavily on the Phoenix or Heihachi trains as fighter 5, but my god. If this is it for the Layton fans...this would be wild.

Ideal dream would of course be that dual reveal with Layton as character 5 and Phoenix as the start of pass 2...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
>Colour theory (assuming that holds any water) suggests fighter 5 possibly related to the colour orange
>If Hero, Banjo and Terry where meant to appeal to Japanese, American and Chinese/Latin American audiences, then that would leave Europe as one of the remaining main regions with no DLC character mostly popular with them yet.
>Sakurai stating that he wants to support more Japanese companies through Smash and has shown to (mostly) do so with this fighters pass.
>Level-5 one of the last few remaining Japanese third parties that aren't present in Smash yet in any capacity.

it would be nice if all the signs are real

Matthjass

Smash Cadet
NNID
MathsJass
3DS FC
0602-7469-3826
Switch FC
SW 8578 0545 0012
And not to mention :
> The close relationship between Level-5 and Nintendo
> Layton is an icone of the DS, which has no representative yet except Lucario.
> He represents the puzzle game genre, which is only represented by Dr. Mario yet.
> He would be a surprising pick : not too much popular but still enough to deserve a spot.
> Level-5, 5th DLC character, 75th character in the Smash series...

Well that's not good, now I'm 200% sure Layton will make it... XD

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Well, sh*t. I only know about three people irl that play games from the Layton series. The internet is a beautiful thing at times. Sign me up.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman

Lm93KRM.gif

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, sh*t. I only know about three people irl that play games from the Layton series. The internet is a beautiful thing at times. Sign me up.
Thank you for your support Night Gale, I've added you to the supporters list!

And not to mention :
> The close relationship between Level-5 and Nintendo
> Layton is an icone of the DS, which has no representative yet except Lucario.
> He represents the puzzle game genre, which is only represented by Dr. Mario yet.
> He would be a surprising pick : not too much popular but still enough to deserve a spot.
> Level-5, 5th DLC character, 75th character in the Smash series...

Well that's not good, now I'm 200% sure Layton will make it... XD
I'm happy to see Nintendo still supporting the company and their games if LMJ Deluxe is anything to go by, all the more reason to bring the mobile ports over to the Switch as well. I'm sure they would do very well there.

Ideal dream would of course be that dual reveal with Layton as character 5 and Phoenix as the start of pass 2...
That would definitely be the most ideal and hype outcome for sure!

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I'm heavily on the Phoenix or Heihachi trains as fighter 5, but my god. If this is it for the Layton fans...this would be wild.

Any reason you're siding with Heihachi over Lloyd as a Namco rep? Kind of off-topic, but I'm curious...

Anyway, yes, that would be the dream. I still like the idea of having some crossover spirits/something if they both got into the game...

Yeah, there is a lot of reasons to think it could be Layton... I'm trying to avoid getting too hopeful haha.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah, there is a lot of reasons to think it could be Layton... I'm trying to avoid getting too hopeful haha.
Right, I forgot there was also that tidbit from Miyamoto and him wanting to support and get more people interested in the the adventure genre again with Layton and Ace Attorney, which is why they are reviving Famicom Detective Club as well.

You know despite things going very slow for us, quite a number of interesting things popped up over time.

But yeah keep your expectations in check...

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Any reason you're siding with Heihachi over Lloyd as a Namco rep? Kind of off-topic, but I'm curious...
It's basically down to personal preference. Lloyd is great, Tales of Symphonia is great, but for Tales games I prefer Xillia 2 and Berseria overall (and would LOVE Velvet in). Meanwhile I also love the Tekken series and Tekken 7 made me realize how much I love Heihachi as a cool old man villain and how brutal and fun he'd be in Smash. I don't think there's a bad option or anything, just if I had to rate is go Heihachi > Velvet = KOS-MOS > Lloyd > Dark Souls = Agumon

Top Bottom