• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Definitely a good sign for quality control and knowing the passions of their fanbase! Hopefully just as much care is put into a Layton game, if it happens.

London Life was made to test out Fantasy Life, but Fantasy Life is definitely expanded in enough ways to be functionally different. Fantasy Life is fantastic though and I imagine anyone who likes the lighter elements of LMJ will appreciate its writing. It's definitely one of the games that has made me laugh the most consistently, even if some of the jokes are very simple (ex/ Taylor is the town tailor because puns).

It would be very nice to have new people and I definitely don't want to gatekeep! Fandoms evolve and it's fantastic how much Smash Bros can boost a fandom. It's just also weird when an influx of new people show up and suddenly you have to remember to be super spoiler-careful when the fandom has historically been kind of tight-knit.

Yeah, the poll doesn't have fantastic accuracy - it would be interesting to have a poll that asks for, say, a top 5 and uses a STV system to figure out the top character(s)... That said, I do think the fact that everyone's first choice splits so quickly speaks to the diversity of a fandom in of itself.

Also, speaking of polls, Ash from GameXplain has been doing some stuff. You know who to vote for!
Yeah indeed, I hope so too.

Oh I see, that sounds interesting, I'd be sure to check it out, weren't there rumours for a port for this game at some point?

Yeah that's probably the main downside when you suddenly have an influx of fans who are new to the series, I already do a shoddy job when it comes to spoilers as is, heh...
But an influx of new fanart would be great to see, was so happy to see A Link to the Past/A Link Between Worlds Zelda finally get some love and recognition after her inclusion in Ultimate. Always thought she had a great design.

Yeah at least let us pick our top 5 or so should do, it would give a bit more leeway and the fanbase wouldn't have to huddle around the same handful of characters as their main priorities.

Oh that's nice, not too surprised that Cuphead is higher due to him being more well known on the Internet currently, but still nice to see Layton running up as second.

I don’t usually post myself online, but you guys in Layton thread are cool. This Halloween I dusted off my Layton costume to wear while handing out candy.

I probably should have shaved my beard but oh well. Also note the spooky Pokémon decor.
That costume looks great on you King Sonnn DeDeDoo, I also love the Pokemon decor in the background.
I've been seeing quite a few people dressing up as Layton characters this Halloween, hope you all had fun!

Aaand now we're on the final stretch before we finally come full circle with the old support thread, imagine if Layton got confirmed this month for fighter 5, quite the fateful coincidence hm?

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
ive never been so insulted

where did you get the hat?
I got it at a Halloween store years ago, but I had to modify the hat a lot though. I cut off a bunch of vampire looking elements from the hat, then I put a piece of cylindrical cardboard up the hat to make sure it wasn’t floppy.

Originally this costume was for a convention, but I didn’t have time to make a costume this year for Halloween so I reused my Layton one.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I got it at a Halloween store years ago, but I had to modify the hat a lot though. I cut off a bunch of vampire looking elements from the hat, then I put a piece of cylindrical cardboard up the hat to make sure it wasn’t floppy.

Originally this costume was for a convention, but I didn’t have time to make a costume this year for Halloween so I reused my Layton one.
well youve done a nice job

amageish

Smash Master
Oh I see, that sounds interesting, I'd be sure to check it out, weren't there rumours for a port for this game at some point?
There's been speculation about it, but nothing to indicate that it'll happen for real, unfortunately.

Yeah that's probably the main downside when you suddenly have an influx of fans who are new to the series, I already do a shoddy job when it comes to spoilers as is, heh...
But an influx of new fanart would be great to see, was so happy to see A Link to the Past/A Link Between Worlds Zelda finally get some love and recognition after her inclusion in Ultimate. Always thought she had a great design.
Definitely. Suddenly having to treat games from the mid-2000s as one would new releases spoiler-wise is a hard thing to adjust to haha. Smash Bros fanart is amazing in general, yeah. They did a great job picking their Zelda designs this game for sure; I like the variety a lot.

Yeah at least let us pick our top 5 or so should do, it would give a bit more leeway and the fanbase wouldn't have to huddle around the same handful of characters as their main priorities.

Oh that's nice, not too surprised that Cuphead is higher due to him being more well known on the Internet currently, but still nice to see Layton running up as second.
True. There are also characters who just seem to be very common second/third choices, which obviously doesn't help much in these kinds of polls...

Yeah, I imagine a lot of people didn't know any of the options beyond Cuphead. It was a nicher poll otherwise.

One week away from Mystery Journey's Switch release! Possibly also one week away from more Smash news. Coincidence? Almost definitely.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
There's been speculation about it, but nothing to indicate that it'll happen for real, unfortunately.

Definitely. Suddenly having to treat games from the mid-2000s as one would new releases spoiler-wise is a hard thing to adjust to haha. Smash Bros fanart is amazing in general, yeah. They did a great job picking their Zelda designs this game for sure; I like the variety a lot.

True. There are also characters who just seem to be very common second/third choices, which obviously doesn't help much in these kinds of polls...

Yeah, I imagine a lot of people didn't know any of the options beyond Cuphead. It was a nicher poll otherwise.

One week away from Mystery Journey's Switch release! Possibly also one week away from more Smash news. Coincidence? Almost definitely.
Oh that's quite unfortunate. With apparent talks of Nintendo wanting to bring more 3DS games to the Switch, and with the upcoming releases of LMJ Deluxe and I believe the first Yokai Watch, hopefully we'll be seeing some more Level-5 games make the Switch too, if anything, at least the 3DS Layton games, though those probably won't come until the DS entries are there.

Yeah that's probably the thing we will probably have to adjust too, but hopefully it will go well and that the series gets the additional support and growth that it needs,

Oh well, it is what it is I suppose, so long as the results look a bit more accurate I suppose (as accurate as you can really get I guess...)

Yeah Cuphead is more fresh in people's minds I suppose due its fairly recent release and how viral it got, Its just par of the course I suppose. If we got a new Layton game announced I'm sure that Layton support would skyrocket, the fandom is just in a lull right now.

Tbh I don't know how I would feel about Layton's Mystery Journey Deluxe being sandwiched between Smash and Pokemon of all things, hopefully the game won't be overshadowed too much, unless Layton is the next character reveal, then I suppose the close release could only be a good thing for the game otherwise.... well, hopefully it won't suffer the same fate as Yokai Watch 3 did in Europe when that came out on the same day as Ultimate's release, at that point I'd start to feel really bad for Level-5...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Tbh I don't know how I would feel about Layton's Mystery Journey Deluxe being sandwiched between Smash and Pokemon of all things, hopefully the game won't be overshadowed too much, unless Layton is the next character reveal, then I suppose the close release could only be a good thing for the game otherwise.... well, hopefully it won't suffer the same fate as Yokai Watch 3 did in Europe when that came out on the same day as Ultimate's release, at that point I'd start to feel really bad for Level-5...
with any luck its close enough the chritsmas to still do alright, thats what i did with yokai watch 3

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
with any luck its close enough the chritsmas to still do alright, thats what i did with yokai watch 3
Hopefully it will do alright yeah.

Here's another puzzle for y'all to solve shared by NoE.

I suppose at least Nintendo will still try and make sure to remind everyone that this little game is coming out soon too...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hopefully it will do alright yeah.

Here's another puzzle for y'all to solve shared by NoE.

I suppose at least Nintendo will still try and make sure to remind everyone that this little game is coming out soon too...
im guessing the answer is two, and its referring to the number of straight lines in each number

Matthjass

Smash Cadet
NNID
MathsJass
3DS FC
0602-7469-3826
Switch FC
SW 8578 0545 0012
That's an interesting puzzle here, I think fogbadge has the right answer...

amageish

Smash Master
Oh that's quite unfortunate. With apparent talks of Nintendo wanting to bring more 3DS games to the Switch, and with the upcoming releases of LMJ Deluxe and I believe the first Yokai Watch, hopefully we'll be seeing some more Level-5 games make the Switch too, if anything, at least the 3DS Layton games, though those probably won't come until the DS entries are there.
True! Fantasy Life as an IP just hasn't been super active lately and the fandom is kind of losing hope... Hasn't the mobile versions of the DS already been leaked for Switch somewhere? I feel like I heard about that at some point, but nothing came of it...

Yeah that's probably the thing we will probably have to adjust too, but hopefully it will go well and that the series gets the additional support and growth that it needs,

Oh well, it is what it is I suppose, so long as the results look a bit more accurate I suppose (as accurate as you can really get I guess...)

Yeah Cuphead is more fresh in people's minds I suppose due its fairly recent release and how viral it got, Its just par of the course I suppose. If we got a new Layton game announced I'm sure that Layton support would skyrocket, the fandom is just in a lull right now.
Hopefully it will! The fandom being rejuvenated would be great...

Yeah, the other factor is that I am betting that most people who play Smash Bros have at least given a passing thought about who they would want to see in Smash Bros; however, I am doubting that most people spend any time on online Smash forums or would even consider participating in surveys about their hopes.

Definitely would help for sure... I mean, Ayumi support is on the rise for sure and I imagine it would go up more if her game does get a localization...

That is valid... Yokai Watch 3 coming out alongside Ultimate was an unintended oops for sure and Layton competing with Terry wouldn't be fantastic. I feel like Pokemon is the bigger risk for the Layton audience as we know it, but that's kind of happening regardless... At least Layton isn't full price, which makes buying both slightly less of a strain on the wallet.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
anyone else been playing luigis mansion three? there was a bit of bgm that gave me some layton vibes

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
True! Fantasy Life as an IP just hasn't been super active lately and the fandom is kind of losing hope... Hasn't the mobile versions of the DS already been leaked for Switch somewhere? I feel like I heard about that at some point, but nothing came of it...

Hopefully it will! The fandom being rejuvenated would be great...

Yeah, the other factor is that I am betting that most people who play Smash Bros have at least given a passing thought about who they would want to see in Smash Bros; however, I am doubting that most people spend any time on online Smash forums or would even consider participating in surveys about their hopes.

Definitely would help for sure... I mean, Ayumi support is on the rise for sure and I imagine it would go up more if her game does get a localization...

That is valid... Yokai Watch 3 coming out alongside Ultimate was an unintended oops for sure and Layton competing with Terry wouldn't be fantastic. I feel like Pokemon is the bigger risk for the Layton audience as we know it, but that's kind of happening regardless... At least Layton isn't full price, which makes buying both slightly less of a strain on the wallet.
I think there was a localization company or something that insinuated that the HD remasters would be making their way to the Switch or something, but that was earlier this year so I'm not sure whats up with that. Guess their waiting for Lost Future HD to come out for mobile before they bring the whole trilogy over to the Switch...

That would indeed be great, yes.

most popularity polls don't even amount to 1% of the entire Smash playerbase so yeah, most people don't really partake in these fan survey's that come around on the internet. Its moreso the hardcore fanbase that actively look up for Smash news and whatnot that partake in these polls.

I'm happy to hear that, I'd hope her game gets localized too, would be nice to see a third pillar within the adventure game genre next to Layton and Ace Attorney, here's hoping that Nintendo will support the game well.

Well about that.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Guess only time will tell, he might come at the second half of November, which I suppose is good as I don't think there is anything releasing in the latter half of November. Giving Luigi's Mansion 3, Layton's Mystery Journey and Pokemon Sword and Shield their own weeks to shine.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I think there was a localization company or something that insinuated that the HD remasters would be making their way to the Switch or something, but that was earlier this year so I'm not sure whats up with that. Guess their waiting for Lost Future HD to come out for mobile before they bring the whole trilogy over to the Switch...

That would indeed be great, yes.

most popularity polls don't even amount to 1% of the entire Smash playerbase so yeah, most people don't really partake in these fan survey's that come around on the internet. Its moreso the hardcore fanbase that actively look up for Smash news and whatnot that partake in these polls.

I'm happy to hear that, I'd hope her game gets localized too, would be nice to see a third pillar within the adventure game genre next to Layton and Ace Attorney, here's hoping that Nintendo will support the game well.
I suppose that would make sense... Lost Future is the most beloved title, so I could see them waiting... It is kind of weird to only have the least beloved title be on the Switch at the moment haha.

Yeah, definitely. Hardcore Smash fans don't represent, well, most Smash fans.

Here's hoping! I'm kind of pessimistic about its odds of localization, but with enough fan demand it seems very possible...

Well about that.

Guess only time will tell, he might come at the second half of November, which I suppose is good as I don't think there is anything releasing in the latter half of November. Giving Luigi's Mansion 3, Layton's Mystery Journey and Pokemon Sword and Shield their own weeks to shine.
Well, that would be good news for Layton at least (though it is still sandwhiched before Olympics and Pokemon)! I guess they may just do a Smash presentation livestream for Terry then, as I don't see them being able to fill a direct after Olympics and Pokemon are out...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I suppose that would make sense... Lost Future is the most beloved title, so I could see them waiting... It is kind of weird to only have the least beloved title be on the Switch at the moment haha.

Yeah, definitely. Hardcore Smash fans don't represent, well, most Smash fans.

Here's hoping! I'm kind of pessimistic about its odds of localization, but with enough fan demand it seems very possible...

Well, that would be good news for Layton at least (though it is still sandwhiched before Olympics and Pokemon)! I guess they may just do a Smash presentation livestream for Terry then, as I don't see them being able to fill a direct after Olympics and Pokemon are out...
Well I think they do want to continue the series on with the LMJ world so probably best to make that game accessible for Switch owners first I suppose. I admit, its probably not the best game to use to introduce new players to the Layton series though, but I suppose that's what the mobile ports are for, at least for now....

Hopefully it will do well enough to encourage Nintendo to localize the game, if not, then perhaps we should try and pull another Operation Rainfall for the game I suppose...

Oh yeah there is the Olympic games too right? Seems like first half November is pretty packet, might be for the best to leave Terry for the second half then, no?

so did i get the right answer?
I believe so, yes, well done!

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm not sure that the lack of Terry in the ads is a sign of him not releasing next week just yet. Nintendo might be catching on to how leakers figure out when the characters release as there is still a good chunk of things pointing to Terry's release this week.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm not sure that the lack of Terry in the ads is a sign of him not releasing next week just yet. Nintendo might be catching on to how leakers figure out when the characters release as there is still a good chunk of things pointing to Terry's release this week.
Would they even mess with the ads just for that?
Then again, since the first half is quite busy, I suppose its also possible that they just didn't find DLC for a nearly one year old game to be as big of a priority to advertise as newer games...

amageish

Smash Master
Well I think they do want to continue the series on with the LMJ world so probably best to make that game accessible for Switch owners first I suppose. I admit, its probably not the best game to use to introduce new players to the Layton series though, but I suppose that's what the mobile ports are for, at least for now....
True, I suppose. I do like the world-building and hope they do continue from it, so that does make some sense. It just leads to a lot of awkward "Should I have my first Layton experience with that new Switch game?" "Well, um, it depends: do you own a smartphone?" conversations haha.

Hopefully it will do well enough to encourage Nintendo to localize the game, if not, then perhaps we should try and pull another Operation Rainfall for the game I suppose...
Yeah, that seems like a plausible future campaign... Operation Hawkshaw? That's a weird word for detective that sounds similar-ish to Rainfall.

Oh yeah there is the Olympic games too right? Seems like first half November is pretty packet, might be for the best to leave Terry for the second half then, no?
Yeah, there is that too. Nintendo doesn't seem to mind packing their releases in though, this year especially...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
True, I suppose. I do like the world-building and hope they do continue from it, so that does make some sense. It just leads to a lot of awkward "Should I have my first Layton experience with that new Switch game?" "Well, um, it depends: do you own a smartphone?" conversations haha.

Yeah, that seems like a plausible future campaign... Operation Hawkshaw? That's a weird word for detective that sounds similar-ish to Rainfall.

Yeah, there is that too. Nintendo doesn't seem to mind packing their releases in though, this year especially...
I think someone on Reddit did ask recently if they can start with LMJ. What's the best way to describe the game without making it out to be the Layton series equivalent of Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts...?

What about operation Schoolfall? Since Ayumi is a schoolgirl and all...

I suppose so yeah.

Also, looks like we finally came full circle, and within two years this time no less.

Very happy to see the thread remained active for so long.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I think someone on Reddit did ask recently if they can start with LMJ. What's the best way to describe the game without making it out to be the Layton series equivalent of Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts...?
Fun comparison haha. I generally say "It's a more comedy-focused game with predictable twists reminiscent of modern day crime TV shows, versus the larger overarching plots of earlier games." as I feel like that shows how this game does have positives, even though most people prefer the original Layton to it. I'm also abnormally kind to LMJ overall though...

What about operation Schoolfall? Since Ayumi is a schoolgirl and all...
I like it! Definitely more accessible as a term haha.

Also, looks like we finally came full circle, and within two years this time no less.
Congratulations!

amageish

Smash Master
So, Nintendo Life is doing a poll for people's favourite Layton game! So, if you want to debate the merits of the different games, now you have an excuse!

My taste is fairly boring, as Unwound Future is my favourite overall. The Last Specter is my second-favourite though, which is mildly contrarian... That's partly just because I am big Emmy fan though.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So, Nintendo Life is doing a poll for people's favourite Layton game! So, if you want to debate the merits of the different games, now you have an excuse!

My taste is fairly boring, as Unwound Future is my favourite overall. The Last Specter is my second-favourite though, which is mildly contrarian... That's partly just because I am big Emmy fan though.
i dont think i could pick a favourite

well if i did it might be the crossover

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
>Pasta - Fatal Fury 2 remix

Nice to have some more Layton esque music at least. Nicely done Yoko Shimomura.
hope to see her do some Layton songs as well one day...

That's nice to see, I've put in my votes as well.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
thats a nice thought
Yeah those accordion + violin based songs like Route 10, Kass's Theme and now this one are a really nice taste to what we could expect from her if Layton made it in, music wise.

I'd really love to see what she could do with the series, maybe one day, maybe one day...

Edit:

Oh yeah, also:

So much for "Layton's too niche for Smash" not that that argument ever held much water considering how popular the series is in Europe and Japan and having sold over 17 million copies...

Still nice of Sakurai to be open to wider horizons.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah those accordion + violin based songs like Route 10, Kass's Theme and now this one are a really nice taste to what we could expect from her if Layton made it in, music wise.

I'd really love to see what she could do with the series, maybe one day, maybe one day...

Edit:

Oh yeah, also:

So much for "Layton's too niche for Smash" not that that argument ever held much water considering how popular the series is in Europe and Japan and having sold over 17 million copies...

Still nice of Sakurai to be open to wider horizons.
I’m not sure that statement really mean anything, unless we know who sakurai thinks would be fun we’re in the same position we were before

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I’m not sure that equates an open mind
What do you suppose it means then? Didn't he state that even as far back as Smash 64, that he got questions about who Samus is?
I'd imagine he said this due to the apparent confusion of a lot of fans not knowing all that much about Terry or SNK in general. Probably also why he went more in depth on the character and his company's history during the livestream.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I just wanna know who the dumbass was who didn't know Samus yet was in a position to speak to Sakurai.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I just wanna know who the dumbass was who didn't know Samus yet was in a position to speak to Sakurai.
Probably a Japanese fan, if I recall, Metroid wasn't as well known there as it is in the West.
Didn't Sakurai interact more with fans (at least the Japanese fans) back during the earlier days of Smash? I think that's partly why we got Dr.Mario if I recall...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I’m not sure that statement really mean anything, unless we know who sakurai thinks would be fun we’re in the same position we were before
It definitely depends on Sakurai's opinion, but at least it shows that Sakurai doesn't believe that the "Does this character deserve to be in Smash?" conversations are as worthwhile as the "Would this character be fun to be in Smash?" conversations. So, hey, it's something.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It definitely depends on Sakurai's opinion, but at least it shows that Sakurai doesn't believe that the "Does this character deserve to be in Smash?" conversations are as worthwhile as the "Would this character be fun to be in Smash?" conversations. So, hey, it's something.
It's a good thing that Layton is a pretty flexible character to what he could do with him, if he feels that a fencing based moveset is a tad too cookie cutter for the character, then he can always focus more on the puzzles, trunk minigames, animal buddies or makeshift gadgets he's built. Or perhaps a mix of everything. There's probably an interesting gimmick he can throw in there as well with the hud and picarat system I suppose.

Its probably more a matter of what new interesting playstyle he can bring forth with the character more than anything I suppose.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What do you suppose it means then? Didn't he state that even as far back as Smash 64, that he got questions about who Samus is?
I'd imagine he said this due to the apparent confusion of a lot of fans not knowing all that much about Terry or SNK in general. Probably also why he went more in depth on the character and his company's history during the livestream.
i dont think it really means anything, saying that characters have to be fun doesnt mean much cause not everyone is going to find a character fun so unless we know who sakurai thinks will be fun in smash we're not really in any different position than before

yeah but it also kind of suggests all the characters he decided against he thinks are boring and if the characters that get in you yourself find boring its not gonna help

i really do hope layton seem like a fun idea to him but we have no way of knowing

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Considering how he can even make a garden-variety plant work, it seems to me like that there's very little in the way of character concepts that wouldn't be a fun challenge to adapt.

So, please don't overthink it, we got enough of that going around as it is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom