• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You know, one little detail that kind of jumped into my mind. For Layton's up special, if its that Parrot minigame where he bounces off a rope. If it has the property to repel opponents backwards as well, they could make the parrot from Lost Future yell out Bostro's "GET LOST!" catchphrase they got it to remember at the opponent as they are pushed back away from the stage.

I thought that might be a fun little detail they could add.

Edit:

In more interesting news, seems like the Smash channel has been updated once more with a private video

Looks like we'll likely be getting Terry very soon...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
You know, one little detail that kind of jumped into my mind. For Layton's up special, if its that Parrot minigame where he bounces off a rope. If it has the property to repel opponents backwards as well, they could make the parrot from Lost Future yell out Bostro's "GET LOST!" catchphrase they got it to remember at the opponent as they are pushed back away from the stage.

I thought that might be a fun little detail they could add.
LOL. I would hope it wouldn't happen every time the move would hit, but that would be very funny as an occasional event.

[QUOTE="Curious Villager, post: 23618381, member: 211955"In more interesting news, seems like the Smash channel has been updated once more with a private video[/QUOTE]

Ooo! That's interesting... I suppose a direct next week would make a sense! It would give them time to announce Terry's release, possibly/probably Fighter 5, some more Pokemon information before the game comes out (possibly something involving the starter evolution?), and promotion of Layton's Mystery Journey right before its Switch release.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Ooo! That's interesting... I suppose a direct next week would make a sense! It would give them time to announce Terry's release, possibly/probably Fighter 5, some more Pokemon information before the game comes out (possibly something involving the starter evolution?), and promotion of Layton's Mystery Journey right before its Switch release.
Yeah that seems to be about right, they haven't yet promoted LMJ deluxe in a Direct as far as I'm aware so it might do well to give it a last minute push before release.

We should hopefully be hearing about fighter 5's reveal too. Quite an unfortunate set of coincidences that this might all be happening right before LMJ's Switch release and the fact Level-5 haven't announced Lost Future HD for Japan yet, if I didn't know any better I'd almost say that they are saving that game up for a promotional tie in for Layton in Smash. If only, heh...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah that seems to be about right, they haven't yet promoted LMJ deluxe in a Direct as far as I'm aware so it might do well to give it a last minute push before release.

We should hopefully be hearing about fighter 5's reveal too. Quite an unfortunate set of coincidences that this might all be happening right before LMJ's Switch release and the fact Level-5 haven't announced Lost Future HD for Japan yet, if I didn't know any better I'd almost say that they are saving that game up for a promotional tie in for Layton in Smash. If only, heh...
Yeah. Even if the Direct happens after it's release (which I kind of doubt given Pokemon), I'd be surprised if it didn't at least make it into a highlights reel. Nintendo and Level-5 both know that it would be worth pushing it, especially as so many of the NoE twitter replies to the puzzles have been "Why hasn't this been in a direct? I missed it entirely."

Ugh, fair. That would work very well, as both the west and Japan would have some sort of promotional tie-in for the game, as opposed to a lot of theories that are based on release dates in only one region... That said, it's also not an exceptionally good way of figuring out characters, as most characters people want will always have some sort of upcoming game and most characters picked thus far have not been promotional as far as we can tell...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah. Even if the Direct happens after it's release (which I kind of doubt given Pokemon), I'd be surprised if it didn't at least make it into a highlights reel. Nintendo and Level-5 both know that it would be worth pushing it, especially as so many of the NoE twitter replies to the puzzles have been "Why hasn't this been in a direct? I missed it entirely."

Ugh, fair. That would work very well, as both the west and Japan would have some sort of promotional tie-in for the game, as opposed to a lot of theories that are based on release dates in only one region... That said, it's also not an exceptionally good way of figuring out characters, as most characters people want will always have some sort of upcoming game and most characters picked thus far have not been promotional as far as we can tell...
Yeah I did find it odd that they didn't feature the game in the last Direct, especially since Nintendo seems to be pushing the game on various gaming events and their Twitter pages (at least Nintendo of Europe does with their weekly puzzle promotions) Hopefully we do get a Direct so that the game can be given a fair shot to be advertised.

Yeah that's also a thing in that most character reveals don't really tend to coincide with any promotions, though Toby Fox did promote the Sans Mii costume by doing a sale for Undertale so I'd imagine that it would be more so up to the third parties themselves more than anything. Since Level-5 seems to release the HD remasters almost as soon as they announce them, I'd imagine they'd have an easier time to release Lost Future HD around the time where Layton talk is at an all time high. Especially since that game is also the most critically acclaimed and popular entry in the series.

Sakurai already said "Buy an XBOX" now behold as he says "You guys have phones right?".

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah I did find it odd that they didn't feature the game in the last Direct, especially since Nintendo seems to be pushing the game on various gaming events and their Twitter pages (at least Nintendo of Europe does with their weekly puzzle promotions) Hopefully we do get a Direct so that the game can be given a fair shot to be advertised.

Yeah that's also a thing in that character reveals don't really tend to coincide with any promotions, though Toby Fox did promote the Sans Mii costume by doing a sale for Undertale so I'd imagine that it would be more so up to the third parties themselves more than anything. Since Level-5 seems to release the HD remasters almost as soon as they announce them, I'd imagine they'd have an easier time to release Lost Future HD around the time where Layton talk is at an all time high. Especially since that game is also the most critically acclaimed and popular entry in the series.

Sakurai already said "Buy an XBOX" now behold as he says "You guys have phones right?".
Yeah, definitely. It would make sense to promote it now at least though, even if they didn't have time last time... I'm hoping the game does get a fair shake, as it's pretty decent, if not as good as the originals.

Yeah, there have been well-timed sales, but, with the possible exception of Eleven being the default DQ hero, it seems like a historical realtionship with Nintendo is being valued over a present one. This is also a good thing for Layton, given how the franchise has been mobile-focused, but it does kind of hamper the "LMJ is coming out!" argument. It would be very easy for Level-5 to drop Lost Future alongside a Smash reveal for sure though, as they control that decision anyway...

Lol. That would be fun. Inb4 "Support your local arcades!" when Terry is out...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i think if we're getting any directs soon itll be a second one for sword and shield, i get the feeling we wont be getting a full direct before dec or jan

what with the time frame for the fifth character of the pass being around a three month span im not sure we'll find out who it is before we get terry

amageish

Smash Master
i think if we're getting any directs soon itll be a second one for sword and shield, i get the feeling we wont be getting a full direct before dec or jan

what with the time frame for the fifth character of the pass being around a three month span im not sure we'll find out who it is before we get terry
I suppose they could do that, true! We've had some sort of Direct in November since 2012, but they aren't always general directs. I just wonder why they'd wait for so long if they just want to discuss Pokemon information in detail...

In terms of announced first party stuff, we have Luigi's Mansion 3 out on Halloween, Mario and Sonic at the Olympics the following week (Nov 5th), Pokemon (Nov 15th), and then... Nothing announced that is first-party until Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore in January... On one hand, that makes me think they'll be releasing something to fill the space or otherwise want to highlight 3rd party games you can play in that gap; however, on the other hand, it shows a lack of need for a direct as I don't know if they'd need to promote Pokemon and TMS#FE (plus both have been sensitive subjects on the internet).

So, yeah. You make a good point, but I have no idea!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Happy 21st anniversary Level-5!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I suppose they could do that, true! We've had some sort of Direct in November since 2012, but they aren't always general directs. I just wonder why they'd wait for so long if they just want to discuss Pokemon information in detail...

In terms of announced first party stuff, we have Luigi's Mansion 3 out on Halloween, Mario and Sonic at the Olympics the following week (Nov 5th), Pokemon (Nov 15th), and then... Nothing announced that is first-party until Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore in January... On one hand, that makes me think they'll be releasing something to fill the space or otherwise want to highlight 3rd party games you can play in that gap; however, on the other hand, it shows a lack of need for a direct as I don't know if they'd need to promote Pokemon and TMS#FE (plus both have been sensitive subjects on the internet).

So, yeah. You make a good point, but I have no idea!
well i dont actually expect a direct of any kind really, but if we did get one i imagine itd be for pokemon though its pure speculation on my part

personally i welcome the gap, ive got a bit of a backlog of switch games piling up and i could use a gap to play them. pokemon is one of those ones where it promotes its self just by existing, tokoyo mirage session on the other hand i think was a bit of a niche title on the wii u so it probably could do with some promoting. personally i dont get whats upsetting about it being censored

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If there is no Direct at the very least I'd hope that Nintendo will put up a release trailer or something for LMJ Deluxe so that the game can get a bit more of a wider exposure, did they even release any Youtube video's for the game? Or has it just been Twitter promotions and gaming conventions where they showed the game off?

Edit:

Eh guess this is close enough I suppose...

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
If we do get any more Directs this year, they'll be focused on specific titles only and not general like the last one in September.

amageish

Smash Master
personally i welcome the gap, ive got a bit of a backlog of switch games piling up and i could use a gap to play them. pokemon is one of those ones where it promotes its self just by existing, tokoyo mirage session on the other hand i think was a bit of a niche title on the wii u so it probably could do with some promoting. personally i dont get whats upsetting about it being censored
I also don't mind the gap, as the Fall has been kind of crazy with releases. I just think it'd be out-of-character for Nintendo to not have nothing unrevealed for that gap - even if it's a smaller eShop experience. As for Pokemon, yeah, it promotes itself and will sell well because Pokemon. TMS#FEE is definitely in need of more advertising, though they may want to wait for the internet to calm down... Having played the original western release, I found it very enjoyable and honestly feel like the censored scenes add additional absurdism to a game that is at its best when being silly; however, I am aware I am not in the majority there.

If there is no Direct at the very least I'd hope that Nintendo will put up a release trailer or something for LMJ Deluxe so that the game can get a bit more of a wider exposure, did they even release any Youtube video's for the game? Or has it just been Twitter promotions and gaming conventions where they showed the game off
I'm sure they'll at least have a launch trailer on Nintendo's YouTube channel... That said, yeah, it's just been Twitter and Con exposure thus far.

It's certainly possible we could get an announcement for one during Terry's video that should be out within the next two weeks.
Wouldn't it be easier to just include Sakurai's video presentation after a Direct, if one happens? I mean, they announced when Hero's video would premiere, so I'd be kind of surprised if they went back to just dropping them without doing a stream.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm sure they'll at least have a launch trailer on Nintendo's YouTube channel... That said, yeah, it's just been Twitter and Con exposure thus far.
Eh, well at least Nintendo is putting a bit more of an effort for getting LMJ Deluxe out there than Level-5 did for the mobile HD remasters. At least Nintendo of Europe is, speaking of NoE, I noticed they updated the Layton series page over at the Nintendo characters hub. It now features LMJ Deluxe.

>Layton Series games for Nintendo Switch

Hopefully we do get more Layton games Ninty, hopefully in due time...

Edit:

Gotta make me look silly now eh Nintendo?

Well I guess their slowly starting to go more out on promoting the game now.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I also don't mind the gap, as the Fall has been kind of crazy with releases. I just think it'd be out-of-character for Nintendo to not have nothing unrevealed for that gap - even if it's a smaller eShop experience. As for Pokemon, yeah, it promotes itself and will sell well because Pokemon. TMS#FEE is definitely in need of more advertising, though they may want to wait for the internet to calm down... Having played the original western release, I found it very enjoyable and honestly feel like the censored scenes add additional absurdism to a game that is at its best when being silly; however, I am aware I am not in the majority there.
well ive decided im gonna give the switch version of TMS a go, funnily enough though i got sent a magazine from gamesradar calling itself a guide to nintendo 2019/2020 which sturck me as ironic after having just join in on this topic. the LMJ port was in there so i think thats some thing even if its not nintendo itself, though it didnt have animal crossing in it so it aint much of a guide for 2020 if its missing one of its big titles

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Alright here's a little something to ponder about, since Nintendo is currently trying to push LMJ Deluxe as well.

Consider we got a Spirit event promoting this game one day, but only of the Layton's Mystery Journey side of the series (So spirits of Katrielle, Ernest, Sherl, Emiliana etc no characters from the original Professor Layton series, no Hershel, no Luke etc) how would you think this may effect Layton's chances for DLC?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Alright here's a little something to ponder about, since Nintendo is currently trying to push LMJ Deluxe as well.

Consider we got a Spirit event promoting this game one day, but only of the Layton's Mystery Journey side of the series (So spirits of Katrielle, Ernest, Sherl, Emiliana etc no characters from the original Professor Layton series, no Hershel, no Luke etc) how would you think this may effect Layton's chances for DLC?
Sadly I'd say not at all. The fandom at large would take it as a negative though.

amageish

Smash Master
Eh, well at least Nintendo is putting a bit more of an effort for getting LMJ Deluxe out there than Level-5 did for the mobile HD remasters. At least Nintendo of Europe is, speaking of NoE, I noticed they updated the Layton series page over at the Nintendo characters hub. It now features LMJ Deluxe.

>Layton Series games for Nintendo Switch

Hopefully we do get more Layton games Ninty, hopefully in due time...
LOL. Obviously the Nintendo of America Twitter account operator is in this thread and trying to pull a fast one on you...

Layton games for Switch is a good sign, if not especially surprising. It seems like just a matter of time, but also Level-5 isn't always known for the best business decisions...

I'd say that it would mean he's unlikely to be 5th character in the fighter's pass, as (i) DLC spirits are one of the main advertised features for those and (ii) they could just announce Layton if they wanted to promote the game, but I wouldn't say it means much for post-pass odds.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

i wouldnt take it as an immediate deconfimation but i imagine many would, sakurai will do what hes gonna do regardless of what makes sense to us fans or what rules we follow, sakurai's mindset and how level-5 would handle renting their licence would really affect his chances

how many times has a character been disqualifyed by whatever reason only to then turn up, not until sakurai says it not happening should we really take it as concrete evidence and even then he ruled out ridley last time

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
LOL. Obviously the Nintendo of America Twitter account operator is in this thread and trying to pull a fast one on you...

Layton games for Switch is a good sign, if not especially surprising. It seems like just a matter of time, but also Level-5 isn't always known for the best business decisions...

I'd say that it would mean he's unlikely to be 5th character in the fighter's pass, as (i) DLC spirits are one of the main advertised features for those and (ii) they could just announce Layton if they wanted to promote the game, but I wouldn't say it means much for post-pass odds.
It would be nice if Nintendo actually has taken a look at these threads sometimes to see which characters are popular and all. I heard Bill Trinnen visited Smashboards at some point in the past but I don't know how true that is...

Level-5 has just been acting strange in general the past couple years that its hard to tell what the future of the Layton series may even be, their obviously still supporting the series thankfully but its hard to tell when we might be hearing about the next entry, we seem to have missed out on another Level-5 Vision this year. I'd say if we don't hear anything next year I might start being a tad concerned for the future of the series. Guess I might as well purchase LMJ Deluxe just to support the series at least, if anything...

Yeah I'd imagine that it might not be a good outlook for him in the current pass, but post pass should be fair game for him, especially if its Just Layton's Mystery Journey being present and not the rest of the Professor Layton series and Hershel himself being absent as well, it depends on how Sakurai would treat the two entity's. Like how he seems to treat Persona and Shin Megami Tensei separately or the Mario series and Mario Kart etc.

The rest of the community would probably indeed jump the gun though without further info...

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
It would be nice if Nintendo actually has taken a look at these threads sometimes to see which characters are popular and all. I heard Bill Trinnen visited Smashboards at some point in the past but I don't know how true that is...

Level-5 has just been acting strange in general the past couple years that its hard to tell what the future of the Layton series may even be, their obviously still supporting the series thankfully but its hard to tell when we might be hearing about the next entry, we seem to have missed out on another Level-5 Vision this year. I'd say if we don't hear anything next year I might start being a tad concerned for the future of the series. Guess I might as well purchase LMJ Deluxe just to support the series at least, if anything...

Yeah I'd imagine that it might not be a good outlook for him in the current pass, but post pass should be fair game for him, especially if its Just Layton's Mystery Journey being present and not the rest of the Professor Layton series and Hershel himself being absent as well, it depends on how Sakurai would treat the two entity's. Like how he seems to treat Persona and Shin Megami Tensei separately or the Mario series and Mario Kart etc.

The rest of the community would probably indeed jump the gun though without further info...
I'm not ruling him out just yet. Most people weren't speculating Terry Bogard's inclusion, and look what happened.

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah... It's kind of odd how quiet they've been... Hopefully they're just hard at work on their latest projects?

I don't know if LMJ is different enough to be considered distinct like Persona and SMT is TBH. Like, they directly share a continuity and core gameplay loop... I'm fairly certain that it would be considered part of the same series, if it happened. Layton himself missing in this hypothetical situation would certainly be a good sign for him though.

And, yeah, the Smash community is fickle and will consider anything a deconfirmation of what they don't already want...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah... It's kind of odd how quiet they've been... Hopefully they're just hard at work on their latest projects?

I don't know if LMJ is different enough to be considered distinct like Persona and SMT is TBH. Like, they directly share a continuity and core gameplay loop... I'm fairly certain that it would be considered part of the same series, if it happened. Layton himself missing in this hypothetical situation would certainly be a good sign for him though.

And, yeah, the Smash community is fickle and will consider anything a deconfirmation of what they don't already want...
Yeah hopefully we're not having another Alpha Dream situation in our hands here, especially considering how poorly some of Level-5's games have been performing lately...

I mean yeah, Its only a hypothetical scenario if we did potentially where to get a spirit event for LMJ Deluxe like we did for DAEMON X MACHINA and Tetris 99, the way Sakurai handles franchises, spin off's and sub series seem to be quite inconsistent in general, really.

If LMJ gets no spirit event then it would most likely come alongside the rest of the Layton series in Layton's DLC spirit board.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah hopefully we're not having another Alpha Dream situation in our hands here, especially considering how poorly some of Level-5's games have been performing lately...

I mean yeah, Its only a hypothetical scenario if we did potentially where to get a spirit event for LMJ Deluxe like we did for DAEMON X MACHINA and Tetris 99, the way Sakurai handles franchises, spin off's and sub series seem to be quite inconsistent in general, really.

If LMJ gets no spirit event then it would most likely come alongside the rest of the Layton series in Layton's DLC spirit board.
I don't know if bankrumptcy is that likely of an outcome. If something catastrophic is going on, I'd sooner expect a company wide shift away from video games before a bankrumpcy. Given how Yokai Watch is more popular in anime format (plus Kat's game is less critically acclaimed then her anime was), they may have more money to make when using their popular IPs for non-video-game products....

Yeah, true. I don't think Layton's Mystery Journey has even been called a spin-off though, it's more of a successor with a slightly different story structure? Like, it changes things, but I feel like saying it's a spin-off series is splitting hairs a bit too thin.

Agreed. Possibly with new models, if they go the way of BK and give them some sort of cameo...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't know if bankrumptcy is that likely of an outcome. If something catastrophic is going on, I'd sooner expect a company wide shift away from video games before a bankrumpcy. Given how Yokai Watch is more popular in anime format (plus Kat's game is less critically acclaimed then her anime was), they may have more money to make when using their popular IPs for non-video-game products....

Yeah, true. I don't think Layton's Mystery Journey has even been called a spin-off though, it's more of a successor with a slightly different story structure? Like, it changes things, but I feel like saying it's a spin-off series is splitting hairs a bit too thin.

Agreed. Possibly with new models, if they go the way of BK and give them some sort of cameo...
I hope you're right, its good that Level-5's more of a multimedia company these days rather than solely focusing on gaming and that their other outlets are at least doing well, if worse come to worse, I suppose they can just shift focus from gaming and try to focus more on the anime and manga side of their franchises...

Yeah its more of a successor/reboot more than anything with a larger focus on comedy and segmented storytelling as opposed to the more focused plotlines the original series had.

Before. Remember, most people were still speculating Doomguy and Ryu Hayabusa. People didn't start giving SNK a fair shake until after the leak
We're probably not going to be hearing anything concrete until the last minute again it seems. Correct me if I'm wrong, but where back in the dark again in regards to who fighter 5 is, right?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Before. Remember, most people were still speculating Doomguy and Ryu Hayabusa. People didn't start giving SNK a fair shake until after the leak
people do seem to like to jump on a bandwagon

We're probably not going to be hearing anything concrete until the last minute again it seems. Correct me if I'm wrong, but where back in the dark again in regards to who fighter 5 is, right?
i believe so, its probably better that way

amageish

Smash Master
I hope you're right, its good that Level-5's more of a multimedia company these days rather than solely focusing on gaming and that their other outlets are at least doing well, if worse come to worse, I suppose they can just shift focus from gaming and try to focus more on the anime and manga side of their franchises...
Yeah, definitely... I do feel like they may want someone other then Hino in charge at some point though. He's a fantastic games designer, but I think the company may be outgrowing his skillset as a president/CEO? His success story is great and I don't want to take it away from him, but I think he may be better served focusing on one game at a time then running around controlling a multimedia empire...

Yeah, we are. Apparently an insider on SmashBoards made some generic comment about the 5th character not going to disappoint people and the post-pass DLC being heavy on fanservice (with some curve balls in for good measure); however, that's not really pointing to anyone by name.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah, definitely... I do feel like they may want someone other then Hino in charge at some point though. He's a fantastic games designer, but I think the company may be outgrowing his skillset as a president/CEO? His success story is great and I don't want to take it away from him, but I think he may be better served focusing on one game at a time then running around controlling a multimedia empire...

Yeah, we are. Apparently an insider on SmashBoards made some generic comment about the 5th character not going to disappoint people and the post-pass DLC being heavy on fanservice (with some curve balls in for good measure); however, that's not really pointing to anyone by name.
Hino is good when it comes to coming up with unique ideas for new IP's, his main issues are that he tends to get overconfident or carried away whenever he hits a jackpot and that he doesn't give his games much room to breathe, by the time one game in a given franchise comes out there is another entry already announced and whatnot.

You mean the one brought up by Fatmanonice? That's apparently just him speculating according to Sabi as nothing concrete has been brought up yet, at least as far as I'm aware...

Its too vague to make much of it eitherway imo.

amageish

Smash Master
Hino is good when it comes to coming up with unique ideas for new IP's, his main issues are that he tends to get overconfident or carried away whenever he hits a jackpot and that he doesn't give his games much room to breathe, by the time one game in a given franchise comes out there is another entry already announced and whatnot.

You mean the one brought up by Fatmanonice? That's apparently just him speculating according to Sabi as nothing concrete has been brought up yet, at least as far as I'm aware...

Its too vague to make much of it eitherway imo.
Yeah, definitely - as evidenced by Yokai Watch seemingly have burn-out, even in Japan... He's a fantastic game designer and Level-5 has produced a lot of my favourite games (heck, if I was told I could only play Level-5 and ATLUS games forever, I don't know if it would change my gaming selection that much). He's definitely good at putting his eggs in multiple baskets, but I do wonder how games would be if he just sat down and focused on one project as a game lead for a whole cycle for once, like the good old days...

Yeah, that one. It's definitely too vague. I also don't really get the discussion of "fanservice" picks, as I don't think any pick in Smash Bros from a mildly successful IP isn't a fanservice pick... The fandom is very very very big. The only big characters who you could argue aren't fanservice picks are ones with anti-fans (ex/ Fortnite), but even then that is a form of fandom...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah, definitely - as evidenced by Yokai Watch seemingly have burn-out, even in Japan... He's a fantastic game designer and Level-5 has produced a lot of my favourite games (heck, if I was told I could only play Level-5 and ATLUS games forever, I don't know if it would change my gaming selection that much). He's definitely good at putting his eggs in multiple baskets, but I do wonder how games would be if he just sat down and focused on one project as a game lead for a whole cycle for once, like the good old days...

Yeah, that one. It's definitely too vague. I also don't really get the discussion of "fanservice" picks, as I don't think any pick in Smash Bros from a mildly successful IP isn't a fanservice pick... The fandom is very very very big. The only big characters who you could argue aren't fanservice picks are ones with anti-fans (ex/ Fortnite), but even then that is a form of fandom...
Yeah I suppose its good that he's spreading releases for the Layton series out a bit more at least, I hope that was a conscious decision and not unintentional because of the minor hiccup they had this year and last year due to Inazuma Eleven Ares...

Despite their flaws (Then again, what gaming company doesn't at this point) Level-5 does have some very interesting and great games. Besides Layton, I've also played a couple titles from the Inazuma Eleven series which have also been quite enjoyable. I still need to get properly into Yokai Watch though outside of that 3DS demo.

I hope that if Layton (or anyone from Level-5) makes it in, that it would give the company the extra exposure and support that they need. Smash Ultimate seems to have done wonders for putting Persona, Dragon Quest and SNK on the forefront, so hopefully the same could happen for Level-5.

Yeah "fanservice" is way too broad of a description since practically any character could be considered "fanservice" for anyone out there, no matter how minor they may be. I think its just Fatman talking about the handful of characters that commonly get thrown around within the speculation community...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah I suppose its good that he's spreading releases for the Layton series out a bit more at least, I hope that was a conscious decision and not unintentional because of the minor hiccup they had this year and last year due to Inazuma Eleven Ares...

Despite their flaws (Then again, what gaming company doesn't at this point) Level-5 does have some very interesting and great games. Besides Layton, I've also played a couple titles from the Inazuma Eleven series which have also been quite enjoyable. I still need to get properly into Yokai Watch though outside of that 3DS demo.

I hope that if Layton (or anyone from Level-5) makes it in, that it would give the company the extra exposure and support that they need. Smash Ultimate seems to have done wonders for putting Persona, Dragon Quest and SNK on the forefront, so hopefully the same could happen for Level-5.

Yeah "fanservice" is way too broad of a description since practically any character could be considered "fanservice" for anyone out there, no matter how minor they may be. I think its just Fatman talking about the handful of characters that commonly get thrown around within the speculation community...
True! I imagine the increased news coverage of overworking in the games industry has been encouraging people to develop a healthier work schedule too, which could explain the general habit of delays that has been going on across the industry nowdays.

Definitely! I like Inazuma Eleven quite a bit too, though I think Fantasy Life wins for my best non-Layton Level-5 experience, partly due to the metric tonne of good puns. I played through the first Yokai Watch on 3DS, but haven't felt a huge need to go back into that series, honestly. I may consider it once the Switch one comes out...

Smash Bros is amazing promotion for sure! I'd love to see the Layton series and Level-5 get more attention, even if it kind of takes over the fan communities with newbies for a little while after the announcement...

Definitely possible, though even then, Sabi/PapaGenos/Scott's poll showed that the most popular characters get pretty split once you get past, like, Geno. I mean, Layton is in the top 20 with only ~1% of the vote...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
True! I imagine the increased news coverage of overworking in the games industry has been encouraging people to develop a healthier work schedule too, which could explain the general habit of delays that has been going on across the industry nowdays.

Definitely! I like Inazuma Eleven quite a bit too, though I think Fantasy Life wins for my best non-Layton Level-5 experience, partly due to the metric tonne of good puns. I played through the first Yokai Watch on 3DS, but haven't felt a huge need to go back into that series, honestly. I may consider it once the Switch one comes out...

Smash Bros is amazing promotion for sure! I'd love to see the Layton series and Level-5 get more attention, even if it kind of takes over the fan communities with newbies for a little while after the announcement...

Definitely possible, though even then, Sabi/PapaGenos/Scott's poll showed that the most popular characters get pretty split once you get past, like, Geno. I mean, Layton is in the top 20 with only ~1% of the vote...
Yeah that might have also been a part of that, for a company known to churn out games constantly, I was quite impressed to learn that the reason that Level-5 has been delaying Inazuma Eleven Ares so much was because of them wanting to polish up the game further and balance it in order to make it good for tournament play.

Hopefully Layton Switch will be something special if their really going all out for them.

Ah Fantasy Life is another game I've been meaning to try out, I've only really played London Life which I believe was a Layton themed demo of that game. I wonder if they would finally release it to Europe if they ever decide to bring Last Specter to mobile as well, then again, I wonder how that would work due to the game requiring button controls...

That would indeed be great, it would be nice to see some new fans join the Layton fandom, I'm starting to feel like I know all the regulars there ha ha..
They might want to know where to start though so I suppose we might have to help them along I suppose...

Sabi's poll might be a tad unreliable since they mainly limited votes to only one character from what I know, there are a lot of fans that want multiple different characters so adding that arbitrary limit would only restrict most of the choices.
That said, I was still impressed that Layton did so surprisingly well though despite how little votes he or a lot of characters in general got...

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah that might have also been a part of that, for a company known to churn out games constantly, I was quite impressed to learn that the reason that Level-5 has been delaying Inazuma Eleven Ares so much was because of them wanting to polish up the game further and balance it in order to make it good for tournament play.

Hopefully Layton Switch will be something special if their really going all out for them.

Ah Fantasy Life is another game I've been meaning to try out, I've only really played London Life which I believe was a Layton themed demo of that game. I wonder if they would finally release it to Europe if they ever decide to bring Last Specter to mobile as well, then again, I wonder how that would work due to the game requiring button controls...

That would indeed be great, it would be nice to see some new fans join the Layton fandom, I'm starting to feel like I know all the regulars there ha ha..
They might want to know where to start though so I suppose we might have to help them along I suppose...

Sabi's poll might be a tad unreliable since they mainly limited votes to only one character from what I know, there are a lot of fans that want multiple different characters so adding that arbitrary limit would only restrict most of the choices.
That said, I was still impressed that Layton did so surprisingly well though despite how little votes he or a lot of characters in general got...
Fantasy Life is one game I'd absolutely recommend, but it's not really similar to London Life. It's more of an RPG with a focus on the slice of life (though it has a main campaign if that's your thing).

amageish

Smash Master

Definitely a good sign for quality control and knowing the passions of their fanbase! Hopefully just as much care is put into a Layton game, if it happens.

London Life was made to test out Fantasy Life, but Fantasy Life is definitely expanded in enough ways to be functionally different. Fantasy Life is fantastic though and I imagine anyone who likes the lighter elements of LMJ will appreciate its writing. It's definitely one of the games that has made me laugh the most consistently, even if some of the jokes are very simple (ex/ Taylor is the town tailor because puns).

It would be very nice to have new people and I definitely don't want to gatekeep! Fandoms evolve and it's fantastic how much Smash Bros can boost a fandom. It's just also weird when an influx of new people show up and suddenly you have to remember to be super spoiler-careful when the fandom has historically been kind of tight-knit.

Yeah, the poll doesn't have fantastic accuracy - it would be interesting to have a poll that asks for, say, a top 5 and uses a STV system to figure out the top character(s)... That said, I do think the fact that everyone's first choice splits so quickly speaks to the diversity of a fandom in of itself.

Also, speaking of polls, Ash from GameXplain has been doing some stuff. You know who to vote for!

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I don’t usually post myself online, but you guys in Layton thread are cool. This Halloween I dusted off my Layton costume to wear while handing out candy.
30273819-2C5B-4FF3-9691-D05FD39E4D50.jpeg

I probably should have shaved my beard but oh well. Also note the spooky Pokémon decor.

Top Bottom