• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hmm, that's a fair point, can work too. Also, I'm a Waluigi fan for the record, but no offense taken.
Alrighty then. I'd be happy for his fans eitherway, I'm just saying, hah.

Anyway, as for other Layton related spirits besides Don Paolo.

* Ness or Lucas for Luke, leaning a bit towards Lucas there due to the Rope Snake and his deeper connection with animals in his game. Animal based items would be involved too such as the Cucco and Pokeballs.
* Sheik for Flora, who would later become Daisy, both would avoid conflict, while a few Megaman minions fight for her.
* Zero Suit Samus that mainly relies on roundhouse kicks for Emmy, with the Fatal Frame Lass as a hostile Assist Trophy.
* Palutena for Katrielle with a minion Pit and Duck Hunt Duo.
* Meta Knight (or Joker if we can) for Descole.

I think those are at least a must as far as Layton spirits go.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Do y’all think we’ll get the HD ports of the Professor Layton games for Switch? I’d think it would be a wise decision for Level-5 seeing that the release of the Switch lite and many of the games this holiday season caters to casual crowd of the DS/3DS.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Do y’all think we’ll get the HD ports of the Professor Layton games for Switch? I’d think it would be a wise decision for Level-5 seeing that the release of the Switch lite and many of the games this holiday season caters to casual crowd of the DS/3DS.
Hopefully yeah, there was that rumour of Curious Village HD coming to the Switch but who knows if that holds up.

I am curious on what the hold up is with Lost Future HD, its been almost a year since Elysian Box HD came out in Japan. Hopefully they will be adding some extra content to that game like with Curious Village HD, I liked how they added the art from the manual as well as additional new concept art to that game, so I hope they will do the same for the third game.

If they where to add some additional content to Lost Future HD, what would you like to see?

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Hopefully yeah, there was that rumour of Curious Village HD coming to the Switch but who knows if that holds up.

I am curious on what the hold up is with Lost Future HD, its been almost a year since Elysian Box HD came out in Japan. Hopefully they will be adding some extra content to that game like with Curious Village HD, I liked how they added the art from the manual as well as additional new concept art to that game, so I hope they will do the same for the third game.

If they where to add some additional content to Lost Future HD, what would you like to see?
Hmm, I'm actually not sure what I would add, the ending is pretty perfect in my opinion so I don't want to muddle it up with extra scenes. The only thing I could thing maybe they could expand upon....
Give us some sort of satisfaction that Bill Hawks might be brought to justice. I mean having a politician get off scot-free is sadly realistic and I know it's not the focus of the story, but man I'd like to see him get taken down.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hmm, I'm actually not sure what I would add, the ending is pretty perfect in my opinion so I don't want to muddle it up with extra scenes. The only thing I could thing maybe they could expand upon....
Give us some sort of satisfaction that Bill Hawks might be brought to justice. I mean having a politician get off scot-free is sadly realistic and I know it's not the focus of the story, but man I'd like to see him get taken down.
Yeah if they where to add some extra scenes, I'd like to see Flora be given a speaking line or two, its crazy how she did nothing but grunt throughout all the cutscenes of that game...
Besides that, I'd like to see them bring over the artwork from the manual into the game as well so we can have a clean HD resolution version of them. I liked that in Curious Village HD.

But aside from that, what do you think of the likelihood that they will be giving the prequels the HD treatment as well?

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Yeah if they where to add some extra scenes, I'd like to see Flora be given a speaking line or two, its crazy how she did nothing but grunt throughout all the cutscenes of that game...
Besides that, I'd like to see them bring over the artwork from the manual into the game as well so we can have a clean HD resolution version of them. I liked that in Curious Village HD.

But aside from that, what do you think of the likelihood that they will be giving the prequels the HD treatment as well?
Last Specter would probably be easy enough since it is more similar to the first 3. The 3DS games do have the setback of having 3D sections which probably means more development costs for giving it the HD treatment.

I just do not know how well these HD remakes are selling. Hopefully well enough that we see 3DS games ported someday.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Last Specter would probably be easy enough since it is more similar to the first 3. The 3DS games do have the setback of having 3D sections which probably means more development costs for giving it the HD treatment.

I just do not know how well these HD remakes are selling. Hopefully well enough that we see 3DS games ported someday.
At the very least I would hope they will at least do Lost Future so the entirety of the original trilogy gets covered, they might have sold better if Level-5 actually bothered to advertise them....

Last Specter would be nice if it means that they will finally release London Life into Europe.

In other news, seems like that #BringBackProfessorLayton petition actually passed over 400 signatures. Its nice to know that the fandom is still dedicated. Speaking of which, today is the last day to vote for Layton in Scott/Sabi/Papageno's poll isn't it? I tried to do my part with sharing it around to some Layton fans but I don't know how many it reached, oh well, hopefully he did well at least...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
At the very least I would hope they will at least do Lost Future so the entirety of the original trilogy gets covered, they might have sold better if Level-5 actually bothered to advertise them....

Last Specter would be nice if it means that they will finally release London Life into Europe.

In other news, seems like that #BringBackProfessorLayton petition actually passed over 400 signatures. Its nice to know that the fandom is still dedicated. Speaking of which, today is the last day to vote for Layton in Scott/Sabi/Papageno's poll isn't it? I tried to do my part with sharing it around to some Layton fans but I don't know how many it reached, oh well, hopefully he did well at least...
Is that for bringing back the series or for the professor to be the main character again?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Is that for bringing back the series or for the professor to be the main character again?
Dunno, they don't seem to mention LMJ anywhere and talking how its been 7 years since the last game so either they want the Prof to return and view the game as a spinoff or something, or aren't aware that LMJ and the rest of the series is still technically active, just rebooted for the most part...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Dunno, they don't seem to mention LMJ anywhere and talking how its been 7 years since the last game so either they want the Prof to return and view the game as a spinoff or something, or aren't aware that LMJ and the rest of the series is still technically active, just rebooted for the most part...
I guess Nintendo not publishing the game must have really hurt its advertising then... It would be impressive for someone to be passionate enough to make a petition about wanting more Layton while also not commenting on the most recent game...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I guess Nintendo not publishing the game must have really hurt its advertising then... It would be impressive for someone to be passionate enough to make a petition about wanting more Layton while also not commenting on the most recent game...
I think Nintendo was probably the biggest reason why the Layton series made it as big as it did to begin with, especially Nintendo of Europe and their great marketing push for the series. Level-5 just isn't pouring the same kind of effort into the series as Nintendo did ever since they decided to self publish the series. Which is why its in the current state that it is.

Do you know how many Layton fans I've come across that didn't even know that the HD ports are even a thing? Heck some even thought it was only a rumour.

Hino doesn't really know how market his games, only how to milk them whenever he hits a jackpot. Which is pretty sad really...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think Nintendo was probably the biggest reason why the Layton series made it as big as it did to begin with, especially Nintendo of Europe and their great marketing push for the series. Level-5 just isn't pouring the same kind of effort into the series as Nintendo did ever since they decided to self publish the series. Which is why its in the current state that it is.

Do you know how many Layton fans I've come across that didn't even know that the HD ports are even a thing? Heck some even thought it was only a rumour.

Hino doesn't really know how market his games, only how to milk them whenever he hits a jackpot. Which is pretty sad really...
Level-5 have made some odd decisions, they’ve tried rebooting two of their series and thus far one didn’t go well at all and the other apparently people are either ignoring or are unaware of, it’s not a good sign, I’m mean if the anime is anything to go by the retraced their steps with the former pretty quickly.

Mind you I’m only aware of two reboots I don’t if they’ve done it with anything else

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Level-5 have made some odd decisions, they’ve tried rebooting two of their series and thus far one didn’t go well at all and the other apparently people are either ignoring or are unaware of, it’s not a good sign, I’m mean if the anime is anything to go by the retraced their steps with the former pretty quickly.

Mind you I’m only aware of two reboots I don’t if they’ve done it with anything else
I mean, I suppose they sort of rebooted Inazuma Eleven as well for a bit but I don't really follow that series as extensively.

You could probably count the prequel trilogy as the first sort of "soft reboot" for the Layton series but that one still kept a number of core elements in tact, just a different cast of characters (besides Layton and Luke) and a bit more of an overarching plot for the most part.
LMJ was definitely the more drastic reboot for the series with a completely new story tone, gameplay elements and cast of characters..

Anyway, seems like Sabi/Scott/Papagenos poll has concluded and are now tallying the results, they will be posting the final numbers on the 9th once they have weeded out all the bot votes and whatnot. I guess we'll see how the Prof has placed there.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Bruh I think I was the first guy to post Layton in most wanted on the Sabi poll :'(
My vote was the 954th...
Definitely saw a few Layton supporters here and there but you can DEFINITELY tell the most wanted characters have been in leaks 99% of the time lol (for instance, Doom Slayer, Sora, Geno, etc...)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Bruh I think I was the first guy to post Layton in most wanted on the Sabi poll :'(
My vote was the 954th...
Definitely saw a few Layton supporters here and there but you can DEFINITELY tell the most wanted characters have been in leaks 99% of the time lol (for instance, Doom Slayer, Sora, Geno, etc...)
Yeah I suppose that is to be expected, although someone apparently tallied the results onto a pie chart and the Prof just about made it into the top 20. I don't know how accurate it is but oh well, guess we'll find out on the 9th.

I guess it is to be expected that the pool of really popular characters is diminishing so the community is mainly focusing on the handful of characters that haven't made it yet. Still I suppose let's wait and see once the full results is published.

Still, I guess it goes to show how good of a job Sakurai & co have done in getting most of the popular characters in there, playable or otherwise.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean, I suppose they sort of rebooted Inazuma Eleven as well for a bit but I don't really follow that series as extensively.

You could probably count the prequel trilogy as the first sort of "soft reboot" for the Layton series but that one still kept a number of core elements in tact, just a different cast of characters (besides Layton and Luke) and a bit more of an overarching plot for the most part.
LMJ was definitely the more drastic reboot for the series with a completely new story tone, gameplay elements and cast of characters..

Anyway, seems like Sabi/Scott/Papagenos poll has concluded and are now tallying the results, they will be posting the final numbers on the 9th once they have weeded out all the bot votes and whatnot. I guess we'll see how the Prof has placed there.
If only they weeded out the bot votes from the smash ballot

Let it go fogbadge

amageish

Smash Master
I guess it is to be expected that the pool of really popular characters is diminishing so the community is mainly focusing on the handful of characters that haven't made it yet. Still I suppose let's wait and see once the full results is published.

Still, I guess it goes to show how good of a job Sakurai & co have done in getting most of the popular characters in there, playable or otherwise.
On the one hand, I'm glad to see Layton in the top 20! On the other hand, he reached the top 20 with 1% of the vote. That is one incredibly split voterbase.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
On the one hand, I'm glad to see Layton in the top 20! On the other hand, he reached the top 20 with 1% of the vote. That is one incredibly split voterbase.
From what I've counted, he only barely beat out Shadow by one vote...
Well eitherway, I guess most of the community is mostly prioritizing the last handfull of characters that haven't made it yet.

I'm pretty impressed that Layton did so well though, especially for a character that isn't present in the game in any way and isn't brought up to commonly within speculation circles.

I guess that really ought to encourage us to keep the support going.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I never look at fan polls these days, I never like the results
Yeah its best not to take them for gospel eitherway. After all, Terry was literally 100th place in Source Gaming's fan poll for example and Joker was barely in the top 50 in that one Reddit poll. So whichever characters are high or low there don't have too much of a bearing of what final choices the dev's have made.

They don't even amount for 1% of the userbase interest and the results change a lot over time. Especially depending on what the current events are going on such as whatever fan rules get broken or whatever the current popular rumours are.

So their mainly to see whatever the community is currently interested in.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah its best not to take them for gospel eitherway. After all, Terry was literally 100th place in Source Gaming's fan poll for example and Joker was barely in the top 50 in that one Reddit poll. So whichever characters are high or low there don't have too much of a bearing of what final choices the dev's have made.

They don't even amount for 1% of the userbase interest and the results change a lot over time. Especially depending on what the current events are going on such as whatever fan rules get broken or whatever the current popular rumours are.

So their mainly to see whatever the community is currently interested in.
Yeah I don’t think there was any indication that joker was a popular choice for smash, a popular character in general just not for smash. And that’s probably all it took

Still can’t figure out terry

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Huh, this is interesting.
Apparently Namco is promoting a Layton cafe? Not sure what this is all about but interesting stuff nonetheless.
Reminds me of when there was a Layton cafe opened around E3 or so during the series 10th anniversary.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Perhaps the prof is to be soul caliburs next guest fighter
Dah I wanted to make that joke! Oh well....

Apparently the cafe is one of the few collabs they are doing.

Hopefully this means that we will finally be hearing about the next game soon....
Or maybe a second season for the anime..

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Dah I wanted to make that joke! Oh well....

Apparently the cafe is one of the few collabs they are doing.

Hopefully this means that we will finally be hearing about the next game soon....
Or maybe a second season for the anime..
Well you could still make a joke about tekken

Well it’ll be interesting to see what they have in store, in the past they published ni no kuni in the west and let don chan be in yokai watch 2 & 3, have I missed anything?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well their apparently hiding something if the blurred cards here are anything to go by, so some news might be coming soon, whatever it is...
If I were to hazard a guess, we might be hearing about a second season of the Layton anime soon, at least, the official twitter of the anime is retweeting all this stuff so just my guess....

Hopefully they do, I'd like that. If only we didn't have Google translate to go of all this...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well their apparently hiding something if the blurred cards here are anything to go by, so some news might be coming soon, whatever it is...

If I were to hazard a guess, we might be hearing about a second season of the Layton anime soon, at least, the official twitter of the anime is retweeting all this stuff so just my guess....

Hopefully they do, I'd like that. If only we didn't have Google translate to go of all this...
Curious and curiouser

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Nice to know that Nintendo is still promoting LMJ Deluxe.

I guess they will probably bring it up for a quick push in the potential November Direct.

Imagine if Nintendo did like what Sakurai did with Zero Suit Samus in Smash 4 and wondering where Professor Layton disappeared to.
Then this happens.

How would you react?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

I guess they will probably bring it up for a quick push in the potential November Direct.

Imagine if Nintendo did like what Sakurai did with Zero Suit Samus in Smash 4 and wondering where Professor Layton disappeared to.
Then this happens.

How would you react?
ill expect to see a disappointingly dull 3rd party character

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Hey now, don't downplay Katrielle like that, just because she's a surprise to see over the prof doesn't make her dull.
Personally I think Kat would be a pleasant surprise! Perhaps not one I'd choose over the Prof, but considering my support for Style Savvy I'm not one to turn down a character with so much outfit potential!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Personally I think Kat would be a pleasant surprise! Perhaps not one I'd choose over the Prof, but considering my support for Style Savvy I'm not one to turn down a character with so much outfit potential!
She'd certainly bring in her own unique flair, definitely the biggest alt potential, in a perfect world, we'd get both.

If only if only...

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

Then this happens.

How would you react?
If they do a Layton reveal I'm hoping they do it like Rosalina or Isabelle's reveal where they don't even show the smash logo, make it look like an announcement for a port or a new game and then WHAM! Smash bros. invitation.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If they do a Layton reveal I'm hoping they do it like Rosalina or Isabelle's reveal where they don't even show the smash logo, make it look like an announcement for a port or a new game and then WHAM! Smash bros. invitation.

Hah yes! I always imagined a trailer that is basically a recreation of the first cutscene of Curious Village. Instead of Luke, perhaps have Ness curiously sitting on the passengers seat next to him looking out the window as Layton shows the letter. Then realizing that something isn't quite right...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hah yes! I always imagined a trailer that is basically a recreation of the first cutscene of Curious Village. Instead of Luke, perhaps have Ness curiously sitting on the passengers seat next to him looking out the window as Layton shows the letter. Then realizing that something isn't quite right...
thatd be cool but id hope for one of the "reveal" scenes where when the bad guy unmasks rather than palo or descole its bowser or ganondorf

amageish

Smash Master

Then this happens.

How would you react?
Honestly, the more I think about it, the more content I would be with Katrielle. Her game isn't great, but I do love her character a lot. That reveal method would definitely hype me up for sure, though I always prefer when trailers don't reveal if they're announcing a Smash character until the splash screen (or envelope for Joker) is on-screen. Misdirections are my jam.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, the more I think about it, the more content I would be with Katrielle. Her game isn't great, but I do love her character a lot. That reveal method would definitely hype me up for sure, though I always prefer when trailers don't reveal if they're announcing a Smash character until the splash screen (or envelope for Joker) is on-screen. Misdirections are my jam.
yeah those are good thus far i think rosalina was the only one i didnt realise was smash until it happened, with issabelle i was thinking "this is either smash or ac switch" and it was one followed by the other

amageish

Smash Master
yeah those are good thus far i think rosalina was the only one i didnt realise was smash until it happened, with issabelle i was thinking "this is either smash or ac switch" and it was one followed by the other
Isabelle's was fun as it was "This is Smash, no it's AC, no it is Smash, oh it's also AC." I liked that roller-coaster ride.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, if anything she brought us a pretty good anime sequel to the games. I like misdirections myself, although I'm not sure I got to see the one for the Inklings live.

Isabelle's was fun as it was "This is Smash, no it's AC, no it is Smash, oh it's also AC." I liked that roller-coaster ride.
I knew it was Smash the second "Not actual gameplay footage" cropped up.

Top Bottom