• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
after all these years ive finally got to play ni no kuni and honestly it makes me want a big level-5 corss over with layton, nate and oliver teaming up
Level-5 has done some experimenting in the past by making the characters cross over in each others universes from time to time.
Layton & Co have shown up as a team in Inazuma Eleven or Yokai's in Yokai Watch.

I suppose a generic Level-5 kart racing game may not stand out much as its more or less done to death by other companies but perhaps they could expand on what they did with Inazuma Eleven and have a few Level-5 franchises appear as special teams there? (That you can hopefully acquire this time)
Or special guests in a Fantasy Life game.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Level-5 has done some experimenting in the past by making the characters cross over in each others universes from time to time.
Layton & Co have shown up as a team in Inazuma Eleven or Yokai's in Yokai Watch.

I suppose a generic Level-5 kart racing game may not stand out much as its more or less done to death by other companies but perhaps they could expand on what they did with Inazuma Eleven and have a few Level-5 franchises appear as special teams there? (That you can hopefully acquire this time)
Or special guests in a Fantasy Life game.
the cameos like that are nice but a full fledged epic crossover would be so awesome

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
the cameos like that are nice but a full fledged epic crossover would be so awesome
That would indeed be nice, I think Level-5 should try something that celebrates all their IP's, at least they enjoy making these annual group artworks with all their franchises from time to time. Maybe they should expand on that sometime?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Speaking of potential games in the future, what direction would you like for the Layton franchise to take?
Honestly I just want Layton Bros. 2 but with the whole gang. Have some episodic mysteries with Kat, puzzles with Luke and Layton, crime scenes with Lucy and Alfendi, and they all come together at the end to solve a massive mystery.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Speaking of potential games in the future, what direction would you like for the Layton franchise to take?
In terms of story, just continue where they left off with LMJ I suppose.

Gameplay wise, I suppose I'd like to see a more freeroam experience this time where you can directly control Layton/Kat and explore London. Having puzzles and hint coins hidden around throughout the overworld for you to find, might make exploration a bit more fun when its more interactive.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
In terms of story, just continue where they left off with LMJ I suppose.

Gameplay wise, I suppose I'd like to see a more freeroam experience this time where you can directly control Layton/Kat and explore London. Having puzzles and hint coins hidden around throughout the overworld for you to find, might make exploration a bit more fun when its more interactive.
im with you on that one but i would like some of the old stuff back i did enjoy millionaire's conspiracy but i preferred the overarching story to the episodic format and i kind of missed the ten big mysteries that get solved as you go

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
im with you on that one but i would like some of the old stuff back i did enjoy millionaire's conspiracy but i preferred the overarching story to the episodic format and i kind of missed the ten big mysteries that get solved as you go
I'd like that too, the only reason why I'm saying stick with LMJ's world is because I don't want to see it be short lived and thrown to the wayside prematurely again like they did with the original trilogy cast and Mystery Room. So far the prequels are the only part of the series where they stuck to their guns and fully developed all of their characters, or at least giving them a satisfying ending.

That said, I would like to see past characters return into the series and have a more focused plot again, that would be great.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'd like that too, the only reason why I'm saying stick with LMJ's world is because I don't want to see it be short lived and thrown to the wayside prematurely again like they did with the original trilogy cast and Mystery Room. So far the prequels are the only part of the series where they stuck to their guns and fully developed all of their characters, or at least giving them a satisfying ending.

That said, I would like to see past characters return into the series and have a more focused plot again, that would be great.
well from what ive read, last word was next entry in the series could be based on the professors role in the anime series

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
it was on the wikipedia page for the layton series citing an interview with hino shortly before the games release
Was it the one where he stated that the next entry might not necessarily star Kat?

Well so long as he's not magically adopted yet another child out of nowhere I guess that's fine...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Was it the one where he stated that the next entry might not necessarily star Kat?

Well so long as he's not magically adopted yet another child out of nowhere I guess that's fine...
not sure didnt look into it too much, im going for a wait and see approach with the series at this time

maybe someone else will have magically adopted a child

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
What I want to see is maybe a set of games starring the different members of the Layton family.

The anime ended with a tease towards our boy potty prof, I want more of him

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Alfendi needs his time to shine for sure, hopefully the tease in the anime will mean we'll see him soon. Likewise for Flora, hopefully the datamines in LMJ means they still have unfinished business with her too.

Speaking of datamines, apparently Banjo's datamined codename was "buddy" if I recall, Joker was Jack and Hero was Brave.

What would you imagine Layton's codename to be if he was in?

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Either Mystery, Puzzle or Gentleman
I suppose Mystery would probably work best as its the most vague, much like the other codenames where.

Plus would kind of be ironic too, imagine if dataminers could still find out about the upcoming characters and found a codename titled "Mystery".

Matthjass

Smash Cadet
NNID
MathsJass
3DS FC
0602-7469-3826
Switch FC
SW 8578 0545 0012
> What would you imagine Layton's codename to be if he was in ?

Maybe « professor » (because it could also be Byleth), « smart » or « curious »...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh so apparently the Yokai Watch 4++ version has the original version plus the DLC content. Kind of odd to have a definitive edition release within the same year as the original.
Even Pokemon has the sense to release its third versions at least a year after the original release...

Its only in Japan though so hopefully the ++ version will just be released right off the bat in the west.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Was said so in Nintendo Life.

But yeah, it looks like Hino's bad habits are cropping up yet again.
Hooboy....
At this rate he'll be running the series down to the ground.

I think Hino needs to get into the habit of properly marketing his games so they don't have to resort to things like this.
This is partly why I kind of miss when Nintendo was the one publishing Level-5's games...

amageish

Smash Master
Oh so apparently the Yokai Watch 4++ version has the original version plus the DLC content. Kind of odd to have a definitive edition release within the same year as the original.
Even Pokemon has the sense to release its third versions at least a year after the original release...

Its only in Japan though so hopefully the ++ version will just be released right off the bat in the west.
As the ++ version content will be available as DLC, I imagine that it'll be released as 4 and an expansion pass in English? Probably?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

well that is what we basically got with yo-kai 3 over here so i guess thatll be our version

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah they'll probably include the DLC right off the bat for the western release. Much like they did with the western release of Yokai 3 and and the Western version of LMJ Deluxe (They haven't confirmed yet if they will make the Flora costume a pre order/eshop bonus again but due to the lack of news, I'm assuming that might be available in the base game as well) so we don't have to buy any NFC trinkets and whatnot for the extra costumes.

Speaking of NFC, if Layton made it in, he would certainly be getting an amiibo, how would you think Level-5 would incorporate it in a future Layton game if they where to use it?
I'd imagine that it would mainly be for a cosmetic type thing like a special outfit or something.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah they'll probably include the DLC right off the bat for the western release. Much like they did with the western release of Yokai 3 and and the Western version of LMJ Deluxe (They haven't confirmed yet if they will make the Flora costume a pre order/eshop bonus again but due to the lack of news, I'm assuming that might be available in the base game as well) so we don't have to buy any NFC trinkets and whatnot for the extra costumes.

Speaking of NFC, if Layton made it in, he would certainly be getting an amiibo, how would you think Level-5 would incorporate it in a future Layton game if they where to use it?
I'd imagine that it would mainly be for a cosmetic type thing like a special outfit or something.
It’d be a nice little touch

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
you know, it just kind of dawned on me. But with the DAEMON x MACHINA spirit event that came out last week or so, I suppose third party spirit events aren't off the table.
Suppose if both Layton and Phoenix made it in, what do you think of the possibility of them doing a Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney spirit event sometime down the line? I suppose that would be a way to get that game represented into Smash as well.

If that's the case, what type of spirit battles could you see happening?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you know, it just kind of dawned on me. But with the DAEMON x MACHINA spirit event that came out last week or so, I suppose third party spirit events aren't off the table.
Suppose if both Layton and Phoenix made it in, what do you think of the possibility of them doing a Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney spirit event sometime down the line? I suppose that would be a way to get that game represented into Smash as well.

zelda for espella, ike for barnum, robin for darklaw, ganondorf for the storyteller

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
zelda for espella, ike for barnum, robin for darklaw, ganondorf for the storyteller
I personally think Bayonetta might work better for Darklaw, for, spoiler related reasons.
I thought Roy might work for Barnham as well but I suppose Ike works too.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
spoilers for which game

honestly i think any fe guy would work for barnam
Nothing much, just think Bayonetta and Darklaw have a few things in common.
I suppose almost any FE character could indeed work for Barnham yeah, I mainly went for Roy due to them both being redheads...
As for Storyteller, I might think Robin might work best since they both carry magic books around, then perhaps have the Black Knight appear as a hostile Assist Trophy.

As for Espella, yeah Zelda would work best.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Nothing much, just think Bayonetta and Darklaw have a few things in common.
I suppose almost any FE character could indeed work for Barnham yeah, I mainly went for Roy due to them both being redheads...
As for Storyteller, I might think Robin might work best since they both carry magic books around, then perhaps have the Black Knight appear as a hostile Assist Trophy.

As for Espella, yeah Zelda would work best.
dont know enough about the former to agree
that does make sense i guess (though i keep forgetting about roy)
i had considered robin for the storyteller so i didnt want to use him again

then again some of the spirits battles in game dont make a lot of sense

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Wario for Don Paolo, definitely.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Wario for Don Paolo, definitely.
You know, as much as I don't really care all that much about Waluigi, don't tell his fans I said that.... :X Don Paolo would have unironically been the perfect spirit for him.
I guess Wario will have to do with a hostile Waluigi assist trophy, but then again, maybe Dr.Wily would work better since he's in a flying contraption hurling balls at you and all....?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, as much as I don't really care all that much about Waluigi, don't tell his fans I said that.... :X Don Paolo would have unironically been the perfect spirit for him.
I guess Wario will have to do with a hostile Waluigi assist trophy, but then again, maybe Dr.Wily would work better since he's in a flying contraption hurling balls at you and all....?
Hmm, that's a fair point, can work too. Also, I'm a Waluigi fan for the record, but no offense taken.

Top Bottom