• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Dear lord is he actually trying to go beyond 100 characters or something?

Sakurai, bro, I was only joking with the whole "Masahiro Madman Sakurai" thing...

Well if anything, I think there is a good chance that all 16 current dummy slots will be filled up, I think they where added during the February update so probably should have seen it coming, whether he will add more, or can add more, who knows. Lets just hope we can get the Prof in there asap

Same, the sooner we get him the better.
I think he will mostly be shrugged off at worst, just like Terry, either that or the Layton fandom will take their part in the "Hoes Mad" meme, I think one fan even prepared a "Professor Layton and the Mad Hoes" fan logo just in case...
Yeah, I mean...I hope he hasn't heard of Tobal No. 2's current record. :psycho:

But if he's durable as Oda is with One Piece, then that's fine with me.

amageish

Smash Master
So how many spirits and songs would you guys suspect the Layton series getting? Aside from Layton's fighter spirit.

For reference
Persona has 11 spirits on the board and 2 fighter spirits, so 13 in total
Dragon Quest has 7 Spirits on the board, 4 fighter spirits, 2 upgradeable spirits, 1 event spirit and 14 spirits in total
Banjo has seven spirits on the board, 1 upgradeable spirit and 9 spirits in total.
I honestly don't know. My original thought was that the number of spirits was going to be reversely proportional to the size of the franchise, but Banjo is way smaller then Persona and has less spirits. So, it's really hard to say.

If we can only have 7 on the board, then Kat, the 3 sidekicks and the two main villains definitely seem compulsory. I feel like Granny Riddleton would be pretty likely too just because of her being such a uniquely odd character.

With DLC seemingly going on forever, I don't know what happens to speculation haha. Layton seems likely enough though.

Edit: Not explicitly Layton-related, but Yokai Watch has gone multiplatform.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I honestly don't know. My original thought was that the number of spirits was going to be reversely proportional to the size of the franchise, but Banjo is way smaller then Persona and has less spirits. So, it's really hard to say.

If we can only have 7 on the board, then Kat, the 3 sidekicks and the two main villains definitely seem compulsory. I feel like Granny Riddleton would be pretty likely too just because of her being such a uniquely odd character.

With DLC seemingly going on forever, I don't know what happens to speculation haha. Layton seems likely enough though.

Edit: Not explicitly Layton-related, but Yokai Watch has gone multiplatform.
I think Banjo comparatively has a smaller main cast of characters which is probably why it has the least spirits right now. I hope they don't stick to 7 spirits per DLC spirit board though, Layton's main cast is quite bigger than that and has quite a lot of fun and unique options for spirit battles so hopefully it will at least manage to get as many as Persona on the spirit board.

Yeah I don't know how long they are planning to drag this out, will they fill up all the 16 dummy slots or will they go beyond? I guess only time will tell. But hopefully this will bode well for the Prof if they're deciding to go the extra mile and fulfill as many fan requests as possible. At least Level-5 seems to be pretty easy and cooperative to work with (At least if Hino's words are anything to go by) so we might be able to get both Layton and Yokai Watch in there, maybe....

That's interesting to know, I suppose Layton might eventually go multiplat too now that the series no longer relies on the unique features of the DS/3DS. Then again, I suppose you could say the series has gone multiplat a long time ago if you count IOS/Android devices...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I think Banjo comparatively has a smaller main cast of characters which is probably why it has the least spirits right now. I hope they don't stick to 7 spirits per DLC spirit board though, Layton's main cast is quite bigger than that and has quite a lot of fun and unique options for spirit battles so hopefully it will at least manage to get as many as Persona on the spirit board.

Yeah I don't know how long they are planning to drag this out, will they fill up all the 16 dummy slots or will they go beyond? I guess only time will tell. But hopefully this will bode well for the Prof if they're deciding to go the extra mile and fulfill as many fan requests as possible. At least Level-5 seems to be pretty easy and cooperative to work with (At least if hino's words are anything to go by) so we might be able to get both Layton and Yokai Watch in there, maybe....

That's interesting to know, I suppose Layton might eventually go multiplat too now that the series no longer relies on the unique features of the DS/3DS. Then again, I suppose you could say the series has gone multiplat a long time ago if you count IOS/Android devices...
That is very fair. The Persona board did include all the party members plus the supporting cast, so hopefully a Layton board would be able to follow in its footsteps. I'm hoping we get bigger spirit boards for any future DLC characters, as having only 7 for the last two has felt a bit underwhelming after all the Persona ones.

I have no idea how far they will go, but I feel like it is safe to guess it will be pretty far. I would be kind of shocked if we don't end up with something Level-5 in some form, though if its the Prof, Jibanyan, or both... Time will tell.

I suppose it could. Layton's Mystery Journey Deluxe on PS4 - now that's a weird thing to think about... I will say I do almost feel bad for Nintendo that they're losing Yokai Watch as an exclusive, after how much (mostly fruitless) effort they put into pushing the games outside of Japan. It kind of feels like they've earned it through willpower alone haha.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That is very fair. The Persona board did include all the party members plus the supporting cast, so hopefully a Layton board would be able to follow in its footsteps. I'm hoping we get bigger spirit boards for any future DLC characters, as having only 7 for the last two has felt a bit underwhelming after all the Persona ones.

I have no idea how far they will go, but I feel like it is safe to guess it will be pretty far. I would be kind of shocked if we don't end up with something Level-5 in some form, though if its the Prof, Jibanyan, or both... Time will tell.

I suppose it could. Layton's Mystery Journey Deluxe on PS4 - now that's a weird thing to think about... I will say I do almost feel bad for Nintendo that they're losing Yokai Watch as an exclusive, after how much (mostly fruitless) effort they put into pushing the games outside of Japan. It kind of feels like they've earned it through willpower alone haha.
Yeah same, their clearly being limited with the DLC compared to the base game, I think Sakurai alluded to something like that in Banjo's showcase, so hopefully we can get as much as we can get for the Layton series. They will probably be limited to 11 songs max so hopefully they will be able to get most of the iconic songs in there.

Yeah same, especially as one of the last few significant Japanese companies left without a character (that they own) I think its highly likely they will be getting at least one character in there. Hopefully we will be able to get the Prof in there, It seems to be our best chance yet...

Yeah indeed, though i suppose with that one Golf game cameo, Level-5 might want to expand the series audience outside of Nintendo. Which is why they remastered the DS games on IOS, that plus the fact that most casual gamers from the DS era have pretty much moved on there. So long as Level-5 continues to release the main series games on Nintendo consoles, that's alright I suppose.

Yokai Watch also had the whole "Pokemon Killer" meme going on too, that series would have struggled in the West regardless due to how some Pokemon fans are with "Pokemon clones" regardless if Nintendo themselves supports both franchises...

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I don't know if going multiplatform will save Yokai Watch
In Japan maybe but I don't think those who have a Playstation in the West will buy it for Yokai Watch lol
I don't think the audience is here for those kind of games, especially Professor Layton...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I suppose it depends I guess, Layton resonates better with Nintendo fans, but then again, Europeans apparently love Sony and Layton is particularly popular with that audience, apparently Yokai Watch as well so I guess it depends...

They definitely wouldn't do well on Xbox though.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It feels to me like this is a "in case of emergency, break glass" situation. They've milked YW too much, too fast, to the point that they have to resort to this.

In the Americas, the PS4 isn't that much more kid-oriented, even with California being scared of fan service these days.

Yeah same, their clearly being limited with the DLC compared to the base game, I think Sakurai alluded to something like that in Banjo's showcase, so hopefully we can get as much as we can get for the Layton series. They will probably be limited to 11 songs max so hopefully they will be able to get most of the iconic songs in there.
I thought they only ran out of budget for gameplay showcases in favor of challenger reveal trailers though?

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It feels to me like this is a "in case of emergency, break glass" situation. They've milked YW too much, too fast, to the point that they have to resort to this.

In the Americas, the PS4 isn't that much more kid-oriented, even with California being scared of fan service these days.

I thought they only ran out of budget for gameplay showcases in favor of challenger reveal trailers though?
I'm not really sure then, guess we'll see what they will be doing from this point onward..

I'm not sure if its a budget thing as much as its a payment worth type of thing, since each DLC costs the same, their probably trying to make each fighter pack worth roughly about the same even if some may have more of certain things than others, some might have more songs, whereas others might have more alts, spirits, stages are more detailed and/or interactive etc.

Its kind of the impression I got when Sakurai commented on the amount of remixes Banjo got for a DLC character.

Imagine if Hero came with about as much content as Cloud did....

Come to think of it, Sakurai's comment on Banjo's country style music kind of made me wonder, do you think they will go further more on remixes for Layton as well due to its more unconventional type songs?

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I'm not really sure then, guess we'll see what they will be doing from this point onward..

I'm not sure if its a budget thing as much as its a payment worth type of thing, since each DLC costs the same, their probably trying to make each fighter pack worth roughly about the same even if some may have more of certain things than others, some might have more songs, whereas others might have more alts, spirits, stages are more detailed and/or interactive etc.

Its kind of the impression I got when Sakurai commented on the amount of remixes Banjo got for a DLC character.

Come to think of it, Sakurai's comment on Banjo's country style music kind of made me wonder, do you think they will go further more on remixes for Layton as well due to its more unconventional type songs?
I’d expect a good deal of remixes with Layton since a a lot of his songs would be good songs for fighting but have an intro portion that is slower paced.(Diabolical Box and Unwound Future’s themes come to mind). I just hope the remixes still have that signature accordion.

Also it’s nice to see that Layton’s name is occasionally tossed around in DLC prediction lists nowadays. At the end of the day I know the speculation community has no effect on the Professor’s chances, but it’s good to see a few more people think he’s a viable candidate.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I’d expect a good deal of remixes with Layton since a a lot of his songs would be good songs for fighting but have an intro portion that is slower paced.(Diabolical Box and Unwound Future’s themes come to mind). I just hope the remixes still have that signature accordion.

Also it’s nice to see that Layton’s name is occasionally tossed around in DLC prediction lists nowadays. At the end of the day I know the speculation community has no effect on the Professor’s chances, but it’s good to see a few more people think he’s a viable candidate.
Yeah that's partly why I was wondering if he will be getting lots of remixes too like Banjo. Maybe Level-5 might help compose a few remixes too.
But yeah, so long as they keep the signature accordion its fine, Smash is quite lacking in regards to that instrument as is (It's pretty much only the Route 10 theme and probably the Smash 3DS/Wii U shop theme that consistently use it from what I recall) so I think it would help make the Layton series stand out more from the rest of the available franchises in terms of music.

Yeah It's nice to slowly seeing him around some more lately. I've made a blogpost on Tumblr to let the Layton fandom there know about the current ongoing poll as well, so its good to have more awareness spread and getting more fans involved.

Hopefully the news that Sakurai and Nintendo are doing more collaborations helps to get more people interested in considering Level-5 as a viable DLC candidate option. Hino did state that he's more than happy to cooperate if he was given the opportunity by Nintendo and Sakurai so hopefully it will all pay off.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

So yeah, it's important to adjust one's expectations accordingly in regards to what content comes with each DLC character. Some Terry fans are seriously expecting tag team partners to come with Terry's stage and a bunch of alts, yet it's just as likely to have relatively few frills.

At least they were actually allowed to remix BK's songs, compared to that cheapskate Sugiyama pulling the nostalgia card, though luckily Toriyama's more cooperative. Leaving Freezeezy Peak as is is kinda weird though, since it's not fight-appropriate.

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
I definitely want to hear my girl Yoko Shimomura do a new arrangement of one of the Layton tracks
She's the queen of violins and accordeons so I can only imagine how AMAZING that would be :D

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So yeah, it's important to adjust one's expectations accordingly in regards to what content comes with each DLC character. Some Terry fans are seriously expecting tag team partners to come with Terry's stage and a bunch of alts, yet it's just as likely to have relatively few frills.

At least they were actually allowed to remix BK's songs, compared to that cheapskate Sugiyama pulling the nostalgia card, though luckily Toriyama's more cooperative. Leaving Freezeezy Peak as is is kinda weird though, since it's not fight-appropriate.
Kind of getting a reminder of Joker bringing lots of Persona's but only using Arsene in the end....
I don't know much about Terry and his games but I'm looking forward to his stage, at least from the little glimpse we've seen of it so far.

Also can I take a moment to mention how much I love that their giving other characters background cameo's on the DLC characters stages? Makes me want to see Layton and his stage all the more as well as all the characters that could cameo on it, maybe Flora and Don Paolo will finally get official 3D models.

What are you guys hoping to see from his stage by the way?

I definitely want to hear my girl Yoko Shimomura do a new arrangement of one of the Layton tracks
She's the queen of violins and accordeons so I can only imagine how AMAZING that would be :D
Yeah she'd be perfect for the job when it comes to Layton series remixes, Hopefully she gets to do a fair amount.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I was very very fond of the Molentary Express stage idea with silhouettes of other characters through the window, though I'm fairly sure that it would just be St. Mystere.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I was very very fond of the Molentary Express stage idea with silhouettes of other characters through the window, though I'm fairly sure that it would just be St. Mystere.
I liked the idea of that stage too, although instead of sillhuette's they might as well go the extra mile and show the characters outright considering what they did for the other DLC stages.

Even for St. Mystere, they can show some Layton characters doing various things in the background and hanging around.

If its London/Gressenheller University, they could probably do like Mementos and have a London bus drive by and drop a couple Layton characters by the bus stop to spectate for a moment in the back.

Stuff like that.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also can I take a moment to mention how much I love that their giving other characters background cameo's on the DLC characters stages? Makes me want to see Layton and his stage all the more as well as all the characters that would cameo on it, maybe Flora and Don Paolo will finally get official 3D models.
For the record, it was fun to see Tooty get this kind of involved appearance, it's a bit more fulfilling than a regular spirit cameo.

With any luck, Flora will get noticed too.

Oh, and by the way...

I just found out that the wiki has a category for people who solved specific puzzles, of all things.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
For the record, it was fun to see Tooty get this kind of involved appearance, it's a bit more fulfilling than a regular spirit cameo.

With any luck, Flora will get noticed too.
Speaking of Tooty have you seen how surprisingly high poly her 3D model is over at the Model's Resource? And this is for a character that is very far off in the distant background...

It goes to show that Sakurai really wants to go the extra mile for these characters and series.

It really does make me want to hope that we will see all the main cast be featured in one way or another, whether its in Layton's Final Smash or his stage. Seeing high quality models for Luke, Flora, Emmy, Don Paolo and Descole would be amazing to see as someone who is very keen on working with gaming 3D models.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Speaking of Tooty have you seen how surprisingly high poly her 3D model is over at the Model's Resource? And this is for a character that is very far off in the distant background...

It goes to show that Sakurai really wants to go the extra mile for these characters and series.

It really does make me want to hope that will see all the main cast be featured in one way or another, wether its in Layton's Final Smash or his stage. Seeing high quality models for Luke, Flora, Emmy, Don Paolo and Descole would be amazing to see as someone who is very keen on working with gaming 3D models.
he does seem to love his stage cameos we're bound to get a large portion of the whole gang there

itd be so awesome

she did do a pokemon remix that felt very layton esc

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
he does seem to love his stage cameos we're bound to get a large portion of the whole gang there

itd be so awesome

she did do a pokemon remix that felt very layton esc
Yeah hopefully, at least bring in the DS gang so they can also finally receive the 3D treatment as well.

But really, just look at how detailed Tooty's 3D model is.

They could have probably just gone for her original N64 model or something less detailed due to how far off in the distance she is but they really went out of their way for even the smallest details.

Its the little things like this that really excites me to what we could potentially see next and how far the dev's are willing to go just to make the fans happy.

If Layton makes it in, I really hope he goes all the way for the main gang too.

And yes you're right, I believe it was that route 10 music I mentioned earlier, if this is a taste of what we could potentially see from her with Layton, then I'm really looking forward to see what she will do for the series.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah hopefully, at least bring in the DS gang so they can also finally receive the 3D treatment as well.

They could have probably just gone for her original N64 model or something less detailed due to how far off in the distance she is but they really went out of their way for even the smallest details.

Its the little things like this that really excites me to what we could potentially see next and how far the dev's are willing to go just to make the fans happy.

And yes you're right, I believe it was that route 10 music I mentioned earlier, if this is a taste of what we could potentially see from her with Layton, then I'm really looking forward to see what she will do for the series.
i guess plenty of people have a character theyd love to see in smash style

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Daaamn, they already ripped the models from Spiral Mountain? This community man, works fast!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
i guess plenty of people have a character theyd love to see in smash style
It brings it all together, they will probably keep Layton's original proportions though.

Daaamn, they already ripped the models from Spiral Mountain? This community man, works fast!
They do indeed, there are already a ton of models over there. Speaking of which, I kind of just remembered yesterday. But I can finally make a Luke and Future Luke Mii fighter (sort of) thanks to the Team Rocket grunts and their hats.

A proper Mii costume would go a long way though...

Speaking of Luke, you think he'd pop up around with Layton like Morgana does with Joker? Like in his Taunts and all?

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So apparently Level-5 was a no show at this years TGS as well, their really going to wait until Inazuma Eleven Ares finally comes out before they announce anything else are they?

I hope everything is going alright over there...

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
It brings it all together, they will probably keep Layton's original proportions though.

They do indeed, there are already a ton of models over there. Speaking of which, I kind of just remembered yesterday. But I can finally make a Luke and Future Luke Mii fighter (sort of) thanks to the Team Rocket grunts and their hats.

Speaking of Luke, you think he'd pop up around with Layton like Morgana does with Joker? Like in his Taunts and all?
hmm, I hadn't thought about how they might integrate Luke in smash. Luke and Layton are a near inseparable duo, while it may not be fitting for Luke to fight, having him have a part larger than a spirit or Mii fighter would be preferable.

Luke is a bit bigger than Morgana or Slime and him popping out of thin air might be a bit jarring since he's not a magical creature like they are. At the very least I hope they include Luke in Layton's victory screens, like how Little Mac has Doc in his, and having Luke show up on the banner art next to Layton would be great as well.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
hmm, I hadn't thought about how they might integrate Luke in smash. Luke and Layton are a near inseparable duo, while it may not be fitting for Luke to fight, having him have a part larger than a spirit or Mii fighter would be preferable.

Luke is a bit bigger than Morgana or Slime and him popping out of thin air might be a bit jarring since he's not a magical creature like they are. At the very least I hope they include Luke in Layton's victory screens, like how Little Mac has Doc in his, and having Luke show up on the banner art next to Layton would be great as well.
I suppose they could probably do like Doc Louis now that you mention him and have Luke appear in Layton's victory screen as well as hear him cheer Layton on occasionally through his taunts.

He'll most likely turn up in his Final Smash as well, but hopefully we'll see most of the gang there too.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
when is it due out?
From what I could find, sometime this year but still no concrete release...
I found this article that addresses the constant delays for this game. It seems to be under development hell.

Level-5 seems to be struggling a lot ever since they entered the HD era. Kind of like Gamefreak. I suppose HD home console gaming might be a new territory for them as they have mainly dealt with handheld gaming in the past.....

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
From what I could find, sometime this year but still no concrete release...
I found this article that addresses the constant delays for this game. It seems to be under development hell.

Level-5 seems to be struggling a lot ever since they entered the HD era. Kind of like Gamfreak. I suppose HD home console gaming might be a new territory for them as they have mainly dealt with handheld gaming in the past.....
level-5 do seem to be in a bit of a rut as it were at the moment, though game freak's problem seems to stem from one bad decision in regards to gen 8 and everyone turning on them

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
level-5 do seem to be in a bit of a rut as it were at the moment, though game freak's problem seems to stem from one bad decision in regards to gen 8 and everyone turning on them
Hmm well eitherway, hopefully they will shed some more light on their current state in Hino's upcoming talk show appearance and whether or not they will be doing a Level-5 Vision this year.

He'll probably be asked about his company's absence at this years Tokyo Game Show and what their currently up to.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I'd hope for Layton and Luke (& co) to get a Smash Taunt.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hmm well eitherway, hopefully they will shed some more light on their current state in Hino's upcoming talk show appearance and whether or not they will be doing a Level-5 Vision this year.

He'll probably be asked about his company's absence at this years Tokyo Game Show and what their currently up to.
lets just hope he doesnt dodge the question

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
BK couldn't even get Grunty codecs, so I hardly think we'll get something like this for Layton either. Not enough dev time for that.
Yeah that's unfortunately true, since we're apparently getting lots more characters though, I hope they will update Palutena's Guidance for all the DLC characters once its all said and done.

What do you think they would do for Layton's guidance in that case if he did make it in?

Last edited:
Top Bottom