• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Btw, was the animated movie part of the canon too?

Would be cool if it was.
Yep, it is! Both Miracle Mask and Azran Legacy reference Ambrosia at various points in both stories.

EDIT: :ultgreninja:‘d

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Awesome!

The first trilogy was the one with Curious Village, Pandora’s Box and The Lost Future right?
Yup, and the second trilogy is Last Spectre, Miracle Mask and Azran Legacy
Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright is a spin-off (I think...) and Lady Layton is after the Lost Future :)

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Yup, and the second trilogy is Last Spectre, Miracle Mask and Azran Legacy
Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright is a spin-off (I think...) and Lady Layton is after the Lost Future :)
I think it was stated somewhere that Layton vs Wright spin-off takes place between Diabolical Box and Unwound Future if I’m not mistaken, but maybe it really was it’s own little thing.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think it was stated somewhere that Layton vs Wright spin-off takes place between Diabolical Box and Unwound Future if I’m not mistaken, but maybe it really was it’s own little thing.
As far as I'm aware, they don't really consider the crossover to be canon to either series. It might also conflict a bit with the time period the two series take place in if it did.
But if it was, it would indeed take place between Pandora's Box and Lost Future on Layton's side.

And yes, Eternal Diva is indeed canon to the main series, taking place between Last Specter and Miracle Mask. I definitely recommend watching it. Especially after your done with Last Specter. But its a good movie in of its own.

I really wish they did another Layton movie, I know they planned to do another one taking place between Miracle Mask and Azran Legacy but got cancelled as well as a life action Layton movie that also never came to pass. I think that's a good thing, would have lost the charm of the original series unless they did something like the Tintin movie I guess, but that might look a tad uncanny for certain characters.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
A Layton CG movie with animation similar to the Dragon quest movie or the Lupin the third movie would be a dream come true.

That's really the only place in the Layton series where the crossover can take place in when you look at the character interactions between the Layton cast in the prologue.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
A CG movie sounds interesting, eitherway I want to see another Layton movie, I guess that one ark in the anime was the closest thing to another Layton movie.
Hopefully they will announce a second season soon.

By the way, next month will be the Tokyo Game Show so we'll likely be seeing some new games announced there. Hopefully they will announce the next Layton game there. What are you guys hoping to see?

We might be getting the next Nintendo Direct next month too, hopefully fighter 4 will be revealed then and hopefully it will be the Prof finally making his Smash debut...

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
A CG movie sounds interesting, eitherway I want to see another Layton movie, I guess that one ark in the anime was the closest thing to another Layton movie.
Hopefully they will announce a second season soon.

By the way, next month will be the Tokyo Game Show so we'll likely be seeing some new games announced there. Hopefully they will announce the next Layton game there. What are you guys hoping to see?

We might be getting the next Nintendo Direct next month too, hopefully fighter 4 will be revealed then and hopefully it will be the Prof finally making his Smash debut...
I'd like to see the past and present collide

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Random Thing: In Canada at least, Layton's Mystery Journey and Dragon Quest XI are the only upcoming third party games listed on Nintendo's website.

That seems like a good sign for the series still being kind of treated as a first-party.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Random Thing: In Canada at least, Layton's Mystery Journey and Dragon Quest XI are the only upcoming third party games listed on Nintendo's website.

That seems like a good sign for the series still being kind of treated as a first-party.
well nintendo uk have got lodes of 3rd party games listed, but layton, ace attorney and inazuma eleven thing are all listed in their "nintendo characters" hub

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I always wondered if Level-5 may have some kind of promotional deal or something going on with Nintendo and their IP's. At least outside of Japan. Besides Layton and Inazuma Eleven being promoted at Nintendo of Europe's official website. Yokai Watch is also promoted in Nintendo of America's official website.

They don't really seem to do that (or at least not as often) with other companies besides Ace Attorney for Capcom as far as I'm aware.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I always wondered if Level-5 may have some kind of promotional deal or something going on with Nintendo and their IP's. At least outside of Japan. Besides Layton and Inazuma Eleven being promoted at Nintendo of Europe's official website. Yokai Watch is also promoted in Nintendo of America's official website.

They don't really seem to do that (or at least not as often) with other companies besides Ace Attorney for Capcom as far as I'm aware.
perhaps they do, but i guess we dont really have a way of knowing for sure

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hmm...how many music tracks do you think Layton would ultimately come with should he turn out to be one of the last fighters?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hmm...how many music tracks do you think Layton would ultimately come with should he turn out to be one of the last fighters?
not nearly enough

also extremely off topic but i suspect later in the year we may see a number of the pokemon weezing nicknamed layton or hersel

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The most a DLC character seems to get in terms of music is 11. At least if Smash 4 Bayonetta and Smash Ultimate Joker are anything to go by. I don't know if this is because of some limit or because that is as much as Sakurai and Nintendo are willing to pay third parties as far as DLC go but yeah.

Hopefully Level-5 will be happy to go the full mile. I was meaning to ask actually, if we do get 11 songs, what are your top 11 songs you want to see Layton bring with him? (or top 10 if you will since we all know the series main theme would definitely be one of them)

not nearly enough

also extremely off topic but i suspect later in the year we may see a number of the pokemon weezing nicknamed layton or hersel
I'm already seeing people making connections with Doug Dimmedome from Fairly Odd Parents as far as the Galarian Weezing goes but I did find this though.

Welp...

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
The most a DLC character seems to get in terms of music is 11. At least if Smash 4 Bayonetta and Smash Ultimate Joker are anything to go by. I don't know if this is because of some limit or because that is as much as Sakurai and the dev's are willing to pay third parties as far as DLC go but yeah.

Hopefully Level-5 will be happy to go the full mile. I was meaning to ask actually, if we do get 11 songs, what are your top 11 songs you want to see Layton bring with him? (or top 10 if you will since we all know the series main theme would definitely be one of them)

I'm already seeing people making connections with Doug Dimmedome from Fairly Odd Parents as far as the Galarian Weezing goes but I did find this though.

Welp...
At bare minimum, maybe orchestral versions of some of Layton's tracks like his main theme. I'd rather not want a DQ music scenario repeated

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
At bare minimum, maybe orchestral versions of some of Layton's tracks like his main theme. I'd rather not want a DQ music scenario repeated
Oh definitely, we should hopefully be good as Level-5 seem to be very open to the idea of collaborations. I believe Hino mentioned that too as well as being open to give Sakurai full control to how Layton is represented. So if that still rings true, then hopefully they will go all out as far as the soundtrack goes.

The day we hear this in Smash will be a good day.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Oh definitely, we should hopefully be good as Level-5 seem to be very open to the idea of collaborations. I believe Hino mentioned that too as well as being open to give Sakurai full control to how Layton is represented. So if that still rings true, then hopefully they will go all out as far as the soundtrack goes.

The day we hear this in Smash will be a good day.
It would be a welcome one to be sure

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Speaking of music, what are some songs you'd like to see remixed for Smash?

I'm hoping we could get some sort of remix that uses parts from all the puzzle themes throughout the series. Also I really love the London 3 theme, I'm hoping they can remix the song to fit the faster pace of smash.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
A medley of all puzzle themes is definitely a must!
A remix of the series main theme would probably also be quite likely to happen.
Other choices would be a remix of the puzzle theme of Curious Village as well as St. Mystere's main theme.

I'd probably like to hear a remix of Pandora's Box credits theme, I recently beat the remastered version and remembered how much I loved that song. Likewise for Miracle Mask's credits theme, though I'd be happy enough even if they didn't remix it and just brought it like that.

Gosh I really hope Layton would somehow manage to get more than 11 songs in there, there are too many good songs in the series to put a hard limit on....

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Welp...
not a character im familiar with, when it comes to top hats layton is usually the first character that comes to mind

although by the time it occurred to me i was already set on the nickname "what ho"

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Give me Layton's theme, Descole's theme and Last Spectre's main theme and you got my favorite Layton tracks in it already xD

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Speaking of music, what are some songs you'd like to see remixed for Smash?

I'm hoping we could get some sort of remix that uses parts from all the puzzle themes throughout the series. Also I really love the London 3 theme, I'm hoping they can remix the song to fit the faster pace of smash.
An opera remix of Descole's theme done in a matter similar to the Smash 4 remix of the "Race to the Finish" mini game would be absolutely dope! The same could be said for Targent's theme if they use the extended Miracle Mask version.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You know, after the little debate over at the Social thread, I feel that there is something I need to say.

I'd like to thank all the Layton fans for sticking around for so long and continuing to support the Prof up to this point.
I know that a lot of fans have lost morale post Smash 4 speculation, Level-5's current silence in regards to the series probably aren't helping much either. We also don't have any (realistic sounding at least) rumours to back us up either. So we are more or less all on our own on this right now.

But despite all that, a lot of you have still stuck around to support the Prof in this support thread and outside of it as much as you could and I just wanted to thank you all for your continued support, I appreciate it a ton! Even if nothing comes of this in the end, I still had a lot of fun speculating with you all.

Hopefully I didn't sound too sappy but yeah, here's to continue on the support for our favourite puzzle solving archeologist.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You know, after the little debate over at the Social thread, I feel that there is something I need to say.

I'd like to thank all the Layton fans for sticking around for so long and continuing to support the Prof up to this point.
I know that a lot of fans have lost morale post Smash 4 speculation, Level-5's current silence in regards to the series probably aren't helping much either. We also don't have any (realistic sounding at least) rumours to back us up either. So we are more or less all on our own on this right now.

But despite all that, a lot of you have still stuck around to support the Prof in this support thread and outside of it as much as you could and I just wanted to thank you all for your continued support, I appreciate it a ton! Even if nothing comes of this in the end, I still had a lot of fun speculating with you all.

Hopefully I didn't sound too sappy but yeah, here's to continue on the support for our favourite puzzle solving archeologist.
ill always be happy to talk about how he may work in smash

Flyboy

Smash Hero

It's been fun to be around fellow fans! It's nice too because it feels like Phoenix fans and Layton fans are on good terms at least in their threads and we all agree a dual reveal would be amazing. This has been a fun thread no matter what happens and it's great keeping ahead of all the Layton news such as the HD ports.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
ill always be happy to talk about how he may work in smash
I'm very happy to hear that Fogbadge, always happy to hear more new idea's for sure.
It's been fun to be around fellow fans! It's nice too because it feels like Phoenix fans and Layton fans are on good terms at least in their threads and we all agree a dual reveal would be amazing. This has been a fun thread no matter what happens and it's great keeping ahead of all the Layton news such as the HD ports.
I'm happy to know that the Layton and Phoenix supporters are on good terms with each other, at least here on Smashboards. I know that in certain other places they may be viewed as competition with each other but overall I'm happy that their both well supported characters and agree that the best case scenario would be that they both manage to make it in somehow. Here is hoping fellow Phoenix friend.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

There's just so much to talk about! I really see no reason to leave.

To be fair, a big part of it is that you keep bringing up interesting topics of conversation so that really helped the thread stay alive. So thank you for that!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
There's just so much to talk about! I really see no reason to leave.

To be fair, a big part of it is that you keep bringing up interesting topics of conversation so that really helped the thread stay alive. So thank you for that!
Thank you very much, I'm very happy to hear that!

I try my best to see if any new developments may come for the Layton series as well as any new idea's that we could discuss or expand upon.
But feel free to bring in any new idea's of your own that you think we could discuss. I'm always happy to hear what you all have to say too.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm very happy to hear that Fogbadge, always happy to hear more new idea's for sure.

I'm happy to know that the Layton and Phoenix supporters are on good terms with each other, at least here on Smashboards. I know that in certain other places they may be viewed as competition with each other but overall I'm happy that their both well supported characters and agree that the best case scenario would be that they both manage to make it in somehow. Here is hoping fellow Phoenix friend.
one of these days ill make a moveset form him, though i warn ya i like my movesets weird so he will attack with both the magnifying glass and the !

it is cool that the pl and aa fans get on (probably thanks to the crossover) seeing as a few games from each series ported to the switch perhaps we'll see layton vs wright get ported

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
one of these days ill make a moveset form him, though i warn ya i like my movesets weird so he will attack with both the magnifying glass and the !

it is cool that the pl and aa fans get on (probably thanks to the crossover) seeing as a few games from each series ported to the switch perhaps we'll see layton vs wright get ported
Go for it, I'll be happy to take a look at it.

A Switch port of the crossover would be quite interesting to see. I wonder if they would port the rest of the 3DS games to Switch after LMJ Deluxe now that you mention it. Though probably after they brought the DS games over I suppose.

I'd love to see a second Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright game. Maybe this time Layton being the one visiting Phoenix's home country in Japaniformnia.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

A Switch port of the crossover would be quite interesting to see. I wonder if they would port the rest of the 3DS games to Switch after LMJ Deluxe now that you mention it. Though probably after they brought the DS games over I suppose.

I'd love to see a second Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright game. Maybe this time Layton being the one visiting Phoenix's home country in Japaniformnia.
This time around the plot is Layton figuring out how two mysterious Japanese villages came to show up right in the middle of California.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Yeah a second Layton v Wright would be awesome

amageish

Smash Master
I still want a Kat and Apollo crossover. Do include their significantly more popular father figures as well for sure, but I'd like to see their much-less-popular successors go head-to-head.

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
Eternal Diva could actually be the best videogame movie! Up with Detective Pikachu for sure. It's a very good take on Layton.

As for music, I'm going to plug this choice every chance I get: Theme of the Last Time Travel, the main theme from Layton 3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmd58nFB6OI

I love it so much.

A second Layton-Wright game would be cool because that game brought some new additions to both series - I've talked about the Objectionable Lock puzzle before I think and how I'd like more Layton puzzles to be like that, and obviously it was the first AA game to use cutscenes. The gameplay combining is really cool, and the character interactions were top notch.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd probably say that Eternal Diva was at least the first good videogame movie and certainly deserves a bit more recognition. (at least as far as I know, maybe there where some other good videogame based movies that preceded it that I'm unaware of)

I mean, you could probably also argue that pokemon at least had a few movies as well but most of those tend to revolve more around the anime than the actual games. I think Detective Pikachu was the first pokemon movie that was actually about one of the games if I'm not mistaken.

Lost Future's main theme was pretty good too. In fact just go ahead and include all the main themes of the series, they all seem pretty fit for Smash anyway as far as I recall.

Yeah they did, I think both series inspired each other quite a lot in their own way. Besides the numerous references they do for each other in their home games, I guess the Layton series inspired Ace Attorney to do animated cutscenes in the 3DS entries and it was probably Ace Attorney that influenced LMJ to do these episodic cases too, or probably even in Azran Legacy sort of with the whole egg hunt and all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom