• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
yeah yo-kai watch's age all way surprises me to

video game fans all over still miss iwata

i payed tribute to him in my own little way
For some reason I thought Yokai Watch was at least 7 years old by now, but no, it just turned 6. It's a pretty young franchise still.
The Layton series is 12 years old now. I guess that gives quite a bit of perspective in regards to their time gap. What with Layton being twice as old as Yokai Watch now. I feel like there was a puzzle like that in Curious Village...

Yeah I still can't believe that he's gone. He was such a notable figure for Nintendo and the many games they managed to push the limits for and make a reality thanks to his help. A real shame that he was lost to us so quickly.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
For some reason I thought Yokai Watch was at least 7 years old by now, but no, it just turned 6. It's a pretty young franchise still.
The Layton series is 12 years old now. I guess that gives quite a bit of perspective in regards to their time gap. What with Layton being twice as old as Yokai Watch now. I feel like there was a puzzle like that in Curious Village...
Layton is 12 years old, and Yokai Watch is half that age. If in 50 years Layton is 62 years old, how old will Yokai Watch be? :seuss:

And if you say 31 I will smack you with a textbook

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Layton is 12 years old, and Yokai Watch is half that age. If in 50 years Layton is 62 years old, how old will Yokai Watch be? :seuss:

Yokai Watch would be 56 then, Professor!
Luke.png

By the way, I kinda just noticed something interesting Sakurai said in regards to Cloud.
Masahiro Sakurai said:
At the same time, I think it’s only natural to prioritize the character who enjoys worldwide popularity. I might have had misgivings if Cloud had never appeared on a Nintendo console in any form, though.

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/
I guess that would explain why he prioritized Final Fantasy over Dragon Quest in Smash first despite its immense popularity in Japan.

Wether that would mean much for Layton in the long run, I don't know, it might give him a slightly higher chance of being the first character from Level-5 chosen if they where to get someone as his series is overall the most popular worldwide.

Then again, I don't how how highly popular something like Ni No Kuni is on a global scale so who knows...

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Yokai Watch would be 56 then, Professor! View attachment 230892

By the way, I kinda just noticed something interesting in regards to Sakurai's quote in regards to Cloud.

I guess that would explain why he prioritized Final Fantasy over Dragon Quest in Smash first despite its immense popularity in Japan.

Wether that would mean much for Layton in the long run, I don't know, it might give him a slightly higher chance of being the first character from Level-5 chosen if they where to get someone as his series is overall the most popular worldwide.

Then again, I don't how how highly popular something like Ni No Kuni is on a global scale so who knows...
From what I can find, Ni No Kuni had sold 1.7 mil from combined sales of DS and PS3. This report was back in 2014, but I doubt it would change drastically enough to matter too much.

As a globally popular series, Layton has Yo-Kai and No No Kuni beat, since it broke through into the mainstream in the west while the others are still very niche.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
From what I can find, Ni No Kuni had sold 1.7 mil from combined sales of DS and PS3. This report was back in 2014, but I doubt it would change drastically enough to matter too much.

As a globally popular series, Layton has Yo-Kai and No No Kuni beat, since it broke through into the mainstream in the west while the others are still very niche.
Oh I see, that's interesting.
I wonder where Ni No Kuni's legal ownership lies as well. Is it something similar to something like Kingdom Hearts, since I think it has a place with both Level-5 and Studio Ghibli I think.

Eitherway though, I suppose Layton is probably Level-5's best bet as far as their first potential character goes.

The only thing I wish to know now is Sakurai's opinion in regards to the Layton series. Its crazy to think that Hino has openly spoken to him in regards to Layton in Smash, has had Layton music featured in one of his press start concerts and is even keeping in touch with Hino over at Twitter. Yet we hear so little about him in regards to the Layton series or probably even Level-5 as a whole.

Or maybe I'm just not digging deep enough...

I guess I'll probably have to sift through all the translated Sakurai columns over at Source Gaming and see what I can find.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Yeah I still can't believe that he's gone. He was such a notable figure for Nintendo and the many games they managed to push the limits for and make a reality thanks to his help. A real shame that he was lost to us so quickly.
if i recall correctly yo-kai watch was first announced (for the ps3) about a year before it came out so there may be a reason why its seems like 7

also layton is 12? where has the time gone?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
if i recall correctly yo-kai watch was first announced (for the ps3) about a year before it came out so there may be a reason why its seems like 7

also layton is 12? where has the time gone?
Oh I suppose that may be it.

Indeed, this little franchise is growing up....

By the way, speaking of the Press Start orchestra. It apparently also featured Persona music now that I checked.... heh....

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Oh I see, that's interesting.
I wonder where Ni No Kuni's legal ownership lies as well. Is it something similar to something like Kingdom Hearts, since I think it has a place with both Level-5 and Studio Ghibli I think.

Eitherway though, I suppose Layton is probably Level-5's best bet as far as their first potential character goes.

The only thing I wish to know now is Sakurai's opinion in regards to the Layton series. Its crazy to think that Hino has openly spoken to him in regards to Layton in Smash, has had Layton music featured in one of his press start concerts and is even keeping in touch with Hino over at Twitter. Yet we hear so little about him in regards to the Layton series or probably even Level-5 as a whole.

Or maybe I'm just not digging deep enough...

I guess I'll probably have to sift through all the translated Sakurai columns over at Source Gaming and see what I can find.
Ghibli wasn't involved with Revenant Kingdom so Ni No Kuni is pure Level-5.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh I suppose that may be it.

Indeed, this little franchise is growing up....

By the way, speaking of the Press Start concert. It apparently also featured Persona music now that I checked.... heh....
its making me reminisce about when i got curious village way back when

Ghibli wasn't involved with Revenant Kingdom so Ni No Kuni is pure Level-5.
they may own the character designs for the one they did work on though

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So here's a nice little video about Sakurai and how he goes about creating the character reveal trailers for Smash since 4.

Most likely if Layton where to make it in, Sakurai would probably have Level-5 use their own studio to create Layton's reveal trailer. Like the Palutena and Joker reveal trailers. Being based off the animated custcenes of the series themselves. Either that or probably the studio that did the Layton anime.

If Phoenix where to join in, then they could probably bring back the studio that did the cutscenes in the crossover to do the reveal trailer.

Eitherway though, its nice to think of the possibilities of what direction they could go for Layton's trailer (so long as it isn't just a simple gameplay trailer as the Piranha Plant and the Smash 4 DLC characters got. Hopefully)

I don't know how long on average Level-5 takes to do every cutscene in the Layton games, but I'd imagine it should be fairly straightforward for them to do.

Another interesting aspect would be the potential characters that could show up in Layton's trailer, especially if its done in the Layton series art style. What characters would you guys like to see there?

I think characters like Ness, Lucas, Villager and Toon Link would fit in particularly well. The Mario cast would look nice too. They could maybe also go for something more gritty and have someone like Ganondorf show up...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Still negotiating with my parent the idea of picking Mystery Journey’s Switch port at launch with my father.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Still negotiating with my parent the idea of picking Mystery Journey’s Switch port at launch with my father.
If you get to play it, then I wish you and your father lots of fun, JDCabrera.
Here's hoping that we will be hearing about the next entry soon too.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Just kinda had the thought of a Smash trailer where some of the cast are designed to look like Layton characters. Oh dang that's cool.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Just kinda had the thought of a Smash trailer where some of the cast are designed to look like Layton characters. Oh dang that's cool.
Yeah kinda makes me wish they still did those promotional artworks designed after the newcomers original official art that they did back in Smash 4.
Though I guess if the Inkling artwork is anything to go by. There is nothing stopping Level-5 to do one of their own, should Layton make it in...

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Wether they actually will, who knows I guess...

A Layton series themed trailer would probably be the best bet for that I suppose.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Yokai Watch will probably have a heart attack before it can even get that far, at the rate current sales are going. :4pacman:

(For the record, I don't hate the series, but Level-5 needs to slow it down a tad.)

So here's a nice little video about Sakurai and how he goes about creating the character reveal trailers for Smash since 4.

Most likely if Layton where to make it in, Sakurai would probably have Level-5 use their own studio to create Layton's reveal trailer. Like the Palutena and Joker reveal trailers. Being based off the animated custcenes of the series themselves. Either that or probably the studio that did the Layton anime.

If Phoenix where to join in, then they could probably bring back the studio that did the cutscenes in the crossover to do the reveal trailer.

Eitherway though, its nice to think of the possibilities of what direction they could go for Layton's trailer (so long as it isn't just a simple gameplay trailer as the Piranha Plant and the Smash 4 DLC characters got. Hopefully)

I don't know how long on average Level-5 takes to do every cutscene in the Layton games, but I'd imagine it should be fairly straightforward for them to do.

Another interesting aspect would be the potential characters that could show up in Layton's trailer, especially if its done in the Layton series art style. What characters would you guys like to see there?

I think characters like Ness, Lucas, Villager and Toon Link would fit in particularly well. The Mario cast would look nice too. They could maybe also go for something more gritty and have Ganondorf show up...
It would be neat for the Ice Climbers to appear in there, they're pretty simple in design.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Ha, I'm imagining a trailer...not all of em have em Smashing, like DK and Diddy just hanging out at home! So maybe a trailer where we follow Toon Link sailing, arriving at a dungeon, coming across a puzzle with all sorts of blocks to push, a montage of trying this, trying that, sitting down leaning against one dead tired! Then him just squinting at the blocks trying to get it when a hand grabs his shoulder and we hear "Ah, allow me to be of assistance" Layton splash screen, Layton gameplay, voiceover of how there's plenty of ways to solve a puzzle, and end on Toon Link doing his happy dance as the puzzle is finished and Layton excitedly goes "This reminds me of another puzzle!" and gives Toon Link some cards and the trailer ends with Toon Link giving a tired smile and sweatdrop as Layton explains the next puzzle~

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Ha, I'm imagining a trailer...not all of em have em Smashing, like DK and Diddy just hanging out at home! So maybe a trailer where we follow Toon Link sailing, arriving at a dungeon, coming across a puzzle with all sorts of blocks to push, a montage of trying this, trying that, sitting down leaning against one dead tired! Then him just squinting at the blocks trying to get it when a hand grabs his shoulder and we hear "Ah, allow me to be of assistance" Layton splash screen, Layton gameplay, voiceover of how there's plenty of ways to solve a puzzle, and end on Toon Link doing his happy dance as the puzzle is finished and Layton excitedly goes "This reminds me of another puzzle!" and gives Toon Link some cards and the trailer ends with Toon Link giving a tired smile and sweatdrop as Layton explains the next puzzle~
That sounds so wholesome! Especially since Toon Link was my most wanted character back in Brawl. So seeing a trailer with him and Layton solving a puzzle together would be a wonderful thing to see for me.

Hopefully they will take advantage of the series unique art style for Layton's trailer.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Yeah kinda makes me wish they still did those promotional artworks designed after the newcomers original official art that they did back in Smash 4.
Though I guess if the Inkling artwork is anything to go by. There is nothing stopping Level-5 to do one of their own, should Layton make it in...

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Wether they actually will, who knows I guess...

A Layton series themed trailer would probably be the best bet for that I suppose.
Man, I wish they still did those, it's a shame they dont, an Akira Toriyama styled piece of art would have been amazing.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This is gold right here.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It does go to show how little time they had to do the little things before Ultimate's release date.
You'd think they'd be able to do that since all they have to do is commission the original artist of the franchise the character comes from to do a Smash themed piece for them and all.

I guess with the implementation of the mural in Ultimate, they don't really see much of a need for that anymore.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You'd think they'd be able to do that since all they have to do is commission the original artist of the franchise the character comes from to do a Smash themed piece for them and all.

I guess with the implementation of the mural in Ultimate, they don't really see much of a need for that anymore.
An equivalent exchange, one could say.

But hey, that doesn't keep the fans from doing their own interpretations, if talented enough. :ness:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

But hey, that doesn't keep the fans from doing their own interpretations, if talented enough. :ness:
Yeah I suppose that works too. Good thing the Layton series art style is simple enough to replicate by fans so I'm sure some dedicated Layton fans would probably be able to do a Layton themed Smash artwork for the Prof if he where to make it in.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

its a shame really cause those newcomer posters were awesome

ive tried a few times

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Whatever the trailer, I can't imagine the gameplay being much else but peaceful showcasing of moves on items to hit other items with characters like Zelda and Robin happily taunting with Layton as he gives voiceover with Luke until characters like Ganondorf and Wario appear to threaten him and he starts getting a little more aggressive with some voiceover like:
Luke: Hey! Those guys are trying to hit you Professor! That's not very gentlemenly at all!!
Layton: Not to worry, I approach combat much the same as I approach puzzles, and you'll find I excel at both!
Swish, slash, smashin away!

Just feels like it's gatta start peaceful, Layton's not the type to come out swinging unprovoked, but that's just my guess, it could go plenty of ways!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Whatever the trailer, I can't imagine the gameplay being much else but peaceful showcasing of moves on items to hit other items with characters like Zelda and Robin happily taunting with Layton as he gives voiceover with Luke until characters like Ganondorf and Wario appear to threaten him and he starts getting a little more aggressive with some voiceover like:
Luke: Hey! Those guys are trying to hit you Professor! That's not very gentlemenly at all!!
Layton: Not to worry, I approach combat much the same as I approach puzzles, and you'll find I excel at both!
Swish, slash, smashin away!

Just feels like it's gatta start peaceful, Layton's not the type to come out swinging unprovoked, but that's just my guess, it could go plenty of ways!
I guess another way is maybe have a character like Peach or Zelda being backed in a corner by someone like Wario or K.Rool and Layton's gentlemanly instinct kick in to give them a piece of his mind. Another part is probably have him explore area's like Palutena's Temple or Spiral mountain as he looks ahead and investigates some of the structures that are there.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
If they had Joker in Layton's trailer, then someone should call funerary services for me as I will die of fanboying.

That said, I feel like Layton may be better-suited for a misdirect trailer that poses as a Layton game before revealing itself to be Smash (a la Inkling's reveal, Joker's TGA reveal, or Rosalina's Smash 4 reveal). They tend to go with that approach for the slightly-less expected characters? Plus, it would allow for a slow build-up. Starting a Smash trailer with the Layton artstyle and no Layton onscreen would make it very obvious who is being revealed.

I'm thinking, like, Layton and Katrielle (assuming they want modern timeline placement) having tea and solving puzzles together when Luke comes in with a letter for Layton. Letters are pretty signficant in Layton games anyway, so there is lots of potential misdirection there.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If they had Joker in Layton's trailer, then someone should call funerary services for me as I will die of fanboying.

That said, I feel like Layton may be better-suited for a misdirect trailer that poses as a Layton game before revealing itself to be Smash (a la Inkling's reveal, Joker's TGA reveal, or Rosalina's Smash 4 reveal). They tend to go with that approach for the slightly-less expected characters? Plus, it would allow for a slow build-up. Starting a Smash trailer with the Layton artstyle and no Layton onscreen would make it very obvious who is being revealed.

I'm thinking, like, Layton and Katrielle (assuming they want modern timeline placement) having tea and solving puzzles together when Luke comes in with a letter for Layton. Letters are pretty signficant in Layton games anyway, so there is lots of potential misdirection there.
I just kinda picture his trailer opening up with him pacing back and forth with some people in the shadows and Luke standing nearby. He does a monologue, then he does his signature finger point as he goes "The one who sent this letter... if you!" And when he points off to the side some of the shadows reveal themselves as some of smash roster, drawn in the Layton artstyle.

amageish

Smash Master
Wait. Obviously Layton won't get a trailer, silly us. They will add a new mission into Layton's Mystery Journey on Switch where you play as Kat trying to figure out who is stalking her father, following a break-in at his former university. After an hour of puzzles, it is revealed the truth: Sakurai is chasing Layton throughout the streets of London trying to hand-deliver a Smash invite to him.

/s, obviously.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Preorders for LMJ deluxe seem to have opened now, at least for the US. The price point seems to be at $40 (at least for the retail release) which sounds like a fair price to me. Its good that they didn't go for the full $60 or that might have hurt the game a bit.

I suppose the western release of the anime won't come until we're closer to the release of the Deluxe port.

By the way, I never realized how much info GoNintendo brings up in regards to the Layton series. They even covered the anime and the series 10th anniversary as well as various interviews with Hino. (and apparently we may be seeing the LMJ anime on Netflix if the final credits scene of the last episode is anything to go by).

Might be worth keeping an eye on.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
With the Switch Lite being a thing, I hope we get more ports/new Layton games on the console as it’s focusing on a similar crowd to that of the DS and 3DS. Yo-Kai watch is already getting a port and a new game on the Switch, let’s hope the Layton series follows a similar pattern.

Perhaps I might be a bit too bold, but I'm making a prediction that if Layton is going to be DLC, I think a reveal during a September direct to coincide with the release of the Switch Lite would make the most sense.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
With the Switch Lite being a thing, I hope we get more ports/new Layton games on the console as it’s focusing on a similar crowd to that of the DS and 3DS. Yo-Kai watch is already getting a port and a new game on the Switch, let’s hope the Layton series follows a similar pattern.

Perhaps I might be a bit too bold, but I'm making a prediction that if Layton is going to be DLC, I think a reveal during a September direct to coincide with the release of the Switch Lite would make the most sense.
Well there was those rumours that Curious Village will be ported too. If their doing the same for Yokai Watch then I guess Level-5 is working on bringing over their classic's to the Switch. I think that's a good sign that we will be hearing of the next entry soon too.

That would be quite a convenient timing to reveal a character from a franchise that have predominantly been on portable consoles for Smash Ultimate. I suppose they could be doing a Nintendo Direct where they are trying to mostly target handheld gamers (Especially fans who may still be holding on to the 3DS) to come over to the Switch Lite. So probably a Direct that reveals a lot of Handheld franchises such as a new Mario & Luigi for Switch coming over as well as more info on LMJ Deluxe might be a very enticing thing to show off there.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Well there was those rumours that Curious Village will be ported too. If their doing the same for Yokai Watch then I guess Level-5 is working on bringing over their classic's to the Switch. I think that's a good sign that we will be hearing of the next entry soon too.

That would be quite a convenient timing to reveal a character from a franchise that have predominantly been on portable consoles for Smash Ultimate. I suppose they could be doing a Nintendo Direct where they are trying to mostly target handheld gamers (Especially fans who may still be holding on to the 3DS) to come over to the Switch Lite. So probably a Direct that reveals a lot of Handheld franchises such as a new Mario & Luigi for Switch coming over might be a very enticing thing to show off there.
With the 3DS ending its lifespan, it makes senses for Nintendo to try and entice the DS crowd to Switch over. With a mainline Pokemon game being the big name title for holiday season, it's probably Nintendo's best time to make an effort to attract predominately portable gamers to the console. I'm hoping that Nintendo is wise enough to include a DS era icon to Smash at the same time.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
With the 3DS ending its lifespan, it makes senses for Nintendo to try and entice the DS crowd to Switch over. With a mainline Pokemon game being the big name title for holiday season, it's probably Nintendo's best time to make an effort to attract predominately portable gamers to the console. I'm hoping that Nintendo is wise enough to include a DS era icon to Smash at the same time.
That would make the most business sense yes. They revealed Joker at the VGA where apparently his game was nominated the year before or so.
Banjo and Hero where revealed at E3, which both are significant enough to be revealed at an event like that.
If they where to do a portable gaming focused Direct, especially for the upcoming Switch Lite, then it may make the most sense to reveal a character there who is predominantly known for their portable outings.

I should probably double check the upcoming current releases

The Switch Lite is coming out on September 20th, I believe Link's Awakening comes out on that same day too.
Pokemon Sword and Shield comes out on November 15th
Layton's Mystery Journey Deluxe comes out on November 8th (That's kinda scarily close to SwSh's release, hopefully its sales won't be affected too much)
Luigi's Mansion 3 and Animal Crossing New horizons will be out in 2019 but I'm sure we will be hearing a bit more about those in the Direct anyway.

These games alone we'd likely be hearing more of in the next Direct. I suppose there is also the aforementioned potential new game reveals such as Mario & Luigi switch. Maybe a new Pushmo game for the eShop. And probably the rumoured Wario Ware game.

I most likely missed some other notable titles but these are just off the top of my head. So yeah, it does seem like they could mostly be focusing on handheld based series anyway. (or at least series most popular or seen the most support there)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That would make the most business sense yes. They revealed Joker at the VGA where apparently his game was nominated the year before or so.
Banjo and Hero where revealed at E3, which both are significant enough to be revealed at an event like that.
If they where to do a portable gaming focused Direct, then it may make the most sense to reveal a character there who is predominantly known for their portable outings.

I should probably double check the upcoming current releases

The Switch Lite is coming out on September 20th, I believe Link's Awakening comes out on that same day too.
Pokemon Sword and Shield comes out on November 15th
Layton's Mystery Journey Deluxe comes out on November 8th (That's kinda scarily close to SS's release, hopefully its sales won't be affected too much)
Luigi's Mansion 3 and Animal Crossing New horizons will be out in 2019 but I'm sure we will be hearing a bit more about those in the Direct anyway.

These games alone we'd likely be hearing more of in the next Direct. I suppose there is also the aforementioned potential new game reveals such as Mario & Luigi switch. Maybe a new Pushmo game for the eShop. And probably the rumoured Wario Ware game.

I most likely missed some other notable titles but there are just off the top of my head. So yeah, it does seem like they would mostly be focusing on handheld based series anyway. (or at least series most popular or seen the most support there)
La is indeed out the same day, im not sure about pokemon's sales as a lot of fans are still deeply upset, new horizons is due out in march

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
La is indeed out the same day, im not sure about pokemon's sales as a lot of fans are still deeply upset, new horizons is due out in march
Pokemon would still sell millions regardless, even if it sold less than normal, no matter how controversial the upcoming game may be. It's Pokemon after all.
I just hope that LMJ being released about a week apart from Sword and Shield won't effect its sales too much. At least they aren't releasing it on the exact same day.

Because we all know what happened to Yokai Watch 3 in Europe...
Who's bright idea was it to release that game on the exact same day as Smash Ultimate of all things?

Although if Layton gets revealed in a Direct prior then I suppose it wouldn't matter too much when LMJ Deluxe comes out as his inclusion in Smash will help get more people interested in trying out the upcoming game in the series while they wait for the Prof to release...

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
If Layton is one of the remaining 2, I'm not expecting him until maybe the next general Nintendo Direct in September. Given that's when Banjo likely releases, chances are they'll tease character 4 for a November/December release and character 5 releases no later than February next year

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Pokemon would still sell millions regardless, even if it sold less than normal, no matter how controversial the upcoming game may be. It's Pokemon after all.
I just hope that LMJ being released about a week apart from Sword and Shield won't effect its sales too much. At least they aren't releasing it on the exact same day.

Because we all know what happened to Yokai Watch 3 in Europe...
Who's bright idea was it to release that game on the exact same day as Smash Ultimate of all things?

Although if Layton gets revealed in a Direct prior then I suppose it wouldn't matter too much when LMJ Deluxe comes out as his inclusion in Smash will help get more people interested in trying out the upcoming game in the series while they wait for the Prof to release...
i hope gen 8 isnt affected to badly (this whole thing has awakened something dark in the fandom) not sure how much the layton and pokemon fandoms over lap

it is a shame about yw3 is was certainly the best of the three

yeah smash usually gets people interested in seeing where characters came from

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If Layton is one of the remaining 2, I'm not expecting him until maybe the next general Nintendo Direct in September. Given that's when Banjo likely releases, chances are they'll tease character 4 for a November/December release and character 5 releases no later than February next year
Yeah that sounds about right as to when we'd likely see Banjo release and when fighters 4 and 5 will be revealed and come out.
By the time the September Direct rolls around, it would have been about 4 month's since Hero and Banjo have been revealed so fighter 4 at least should be in a presentable state by then. Most likely to be released somewhere in November or December. Fighter 5 would probably by revealed around that point too, to be released on February 2020 to round out the fighters pass as promised.

The Layton series might be quite busy later this year too. Potential Smash inclusion and LMJ Deluxe aside. There is the inevitable Unwound/Lost Future HD that we will most likely get by the end of the year. The potential Switch version of Curious Village HD, and potentially also the reveal of the next Layton Switch entry during the Level-5 Vision or Tokyo Game Show.

This might be a good year to be a Layton fan.

i hope gen 8 isnt affected to badly (this whole thing has awakened something dark in the fandom) not sure how much the layton and pokemon fandoms over lap

it is a shame about yw3 is was certainly the best of the three

yeah smash usually gets people interested in seeing where characters came from
Yeah a lot of fans have been quite peeved with the series since the 3DS era. Though I guess the latest entry and the news surrounding it might have been the final straw with many fans and Gamefreak now. I think they should really rethink their structure with the games, or probably the franchise as a whole...

Yeah I've heard good things about that game. So its a shame that it tanked so badly due to a bad release plan.
I should probably really give the series a go myself though as the characters are starting to grow on me a bit.

That's the power of smash for ya. Although companies should still make an effort to make sure that their games do well on their own rather than solely rely on the Smash marketing. Especially as the roster keeps growing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom