• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of Miyamoto, this just appeared:
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...d-to-make-adventure-games-in-current-climate/

He describes Layton and Ace Attorney as the hope for the whole adventure game genre (one of my favourites) and that kind of indicates just how important these two characters are to this genre.

Definitely iconic.

Miyamoto also pinning his support to Professor Layton once again! He's always cared about these games, so as long as he's sympathetic on Nintendo's exec board, we always have some hope for Layton's future.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...d-to-make-adventure-games-in-current-climate/

He describes Layton and Ace Attorney as the hope for the whole adventure game genre (one of my favourites) and that kind of indicates just how important these two characters are to this genre.

Definitely iconic.

Miyamoto also pinning his support to Professor Layton once again! He's always cared about these games, so as long as he's sympathetic on Nintendo's exec board, we always have some hope for Layton's future.
That's really great to hear about how supportive he is of the genre despite the struggles it has to go through, especially pinning both the Layton and Ace Attorney series as being the main faces of it too.
You know your franchise has made it high up there when even Miyamoto notices it and gives you his best regard.

I really hope he was one of the higher ups that helped Sakurai on deciding the DLC. Especially if Satoru Shibata was involved too. That would practically give two likely supporters at NoJ for Layton in Smash. Not to mention the fighter ballot too where I'm sure he did well enough to be noticed.

Edit:

Oh, would you look at this.

Looks like Layton's Mystery Journey Deluxe is coming soon to the Switch too.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
What a deluge of news for Layton fans! This is great!

Also, I just want to say since we are probably getting into the more competitive sides of the pass and the fandom might be a bit riled when the dust clears, even if I'm a Phoenix Wright supporter for life, of Layton gets in over him you won't catch me being upset. I feel like all adventure game fans can and should flock together, and there's a lot of crossover between both fanbases.

Love, not salt. Also it probably helps Layton was one of my favorite Miis in Tomodachi Life and Smash 4.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Also, I just want to say since we are probably getting into the more competitive sides of the pass and the fandom might be a bit riled when the dust clears, even if I'm a Phoenix Wright supporter for life, of Layton gets in over him you won't catch me being upset. I feel like all adventure game fans can and should flock together, and there's a lot of crossover between both fanbases.

Love, not salt. Also it probably helps Layton was one of my favorite Miis in Tomodachi Life and Smash 4.
Yeah that is probably to be expected as time draws near and spots start to become scarce. Its kind of why I hope a second pass will happen. I don't want fans to get at each other's throats just because whoever is revealed last isn't whoever they wanted and raining on the parade of those who did get their most wanted in. This is something that happens with every Smash cycle though so I guess its kind of an unavoidable thing, really.

Rest assured Flyboy, that you won't be seeing me complaining if we did happen to get Phoenix over Layton. Especially since Phoenix is practically my second most wanted character right behind Layton anyway. The best case scenario would certainly be getting them both though.

I do agree that we should really be supporting each other as to ensure that both characters can eventually make it in, because personally, at the end of the day, I feel like they both should be in, and hopefully it will happen eventually.

Here's hoping for the best.
I wish you and the rest of the Phoenix supporters the best of luck too.

Last edited:

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
Hey!

I love the Layton series add me to the support list!

But if im honest i don't think Layton will join in ultimate, but i think he's likely for future smash games when most big 3rd party are there.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Yeah, same. Good ol' PW is my main man, but I love the Prof so much that I wouldn't feel even a hint of disappointment if it was one over the other.

Of course, I'm in it for the long haul. Until we don't get both it's not over.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
That's really great to hear about how supportive he is of the genre despite the struggles it has to go through, especially pinning both the Layton and Ace Attorney series as being the main faces of it too.
You know your franchise has made it high up there when even Miyamoto notices it and gives you his best regard.

I really hope he was one of the higher ups that helped Sakurai on deciding the DLC. Especially if Satoru Shibata was involved too. That would practically give two likely supporters at NoJ for Layton in Smash. Not to mention the fighter ballot too where I'm sure he did well enough to be noticed.

Edit:

Looks like Layton's Mystery Journey Deluxe is coming very soon to the Switch too.
I do wonder who exactly chose the DLC characters, we know from Sakurai's tweet that it's "Nintendo" but that can mean a lot of things. Is it just NoJ or were other branches consulted? Who exactly at Nintendo is making the decision?

Also since we're on the topic, I'm a Layton supporter first with Phoenix as a close second. They're both legends of Nintendo's portable consoles, they both deserve a spot among Nintendo all-stars and I hope we can have them both.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Definitely iconic.

That is a freaking bizarre coincidence to pop up right after Miyamoto was talked about here. :drwtf:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Yeah that is probably to be expected as time draws near and spots start to become scarce. Its kind of why I hope a second pass will happen. I don't want fans to get at each other's throats just because whoever is revealed last isn't whoever they wanted and raining on the parade of those who did get their most wanted in. This is something that happens with every Smash cycle though so I guess its kind of an unavoidable thing, really.

Rest assured Flyboy, that you won't be seeing me complaining if we did happen to get Phoenix over Layton. Especially since Phoenix is practically my second most wanted character right behind Layton anyway. The best case scenario would certainly be getting them both though.

I do agree that we should really be supporting each other as to ensure that both characters can eventually make it in, because personally, at the end of the day, I feel like they both should be in, and hopefully it will happen eventually.

Here's hoping for the best.
I wish you and the rest of the Phoenix supporters the best of luck too.
Yeah, same. Good ol' PW is my main man, but I love the Prof so much that I wouldn't feel even a hint of disappointment if it was one over the other.

Of course, I'm in it for the long haul. Until we don't get both it's not over.
The community before and after the last DLC period in a nutshell:

Also, hi, Layton thread. Quietly wishing you guys luck from the corner.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On an unrelated note, I'm finally going to be acquiring a copy of the adventure game Flower, Sun and Rain soon. Granted, I couldn't get the manual, but the aftermarket is what it is, at least I got a box.

The community before and after the last DLC period in a nutshell:

In the end, it's just another Tuesday. People need to be patient.

As a guy who is probably the only one here who follows Goichi Suda's adventure games, you have my endorsement.

I do wonder who exactly chose the DLC characters, we know from Sakurai's tweet that it's "Nintendo" but that can mean a lot of things. Is it just NoJ or were other branches consulted? Who exactly at Nintendo is making the decision?
Especially strange in that one of them somehow thought of :ultjoker: being a possibility to suggest to Sakurai. Iwata's not among us anymore, so who could show such an amount of care for fan demands?

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
The announcement of Layton's Mystery Journey Deluxe was unexpected and made me very happy, even though I already 100% completed the game on 3ds.
I just hope the game get new content.
Can I get a port of Unwound Future next please?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
turned on my switch and theres was a thing about the katrielle port, gotta be the first time in a wee while ive gotten layton news from somewhere other than here

now if they would just make a new one

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Also since we're on the topic, I'm a Layton supporter first with Phoenix as a close second. They're both legends of Nintendo's portable consoles, they both deserve a spot among Nintendo all-stars and I hope we can have them both.
Yeah its hard to tell who helped him pick the five DLC characters. For now I'm assuming NoJ with likely candidates being the current CEO of that branch, and probably Miyamoto. Maybe Satoru Shibata and Reggie as well, but I'm not as sure about that. Besides those, its anyone's guess I suppose....

turned on my switch and theres was a thing about the katrielle port, gotta be the first time in a wee while ive gotten layton news from somewhere other than here

now if they would just make a new one
Considering how much of an effort Level-5 and Nintendo seem to be taking in bringing the series back into the spotlight. We hopefully won't have to wait long until the next entry is announced. Here's hoping for the upcoming TGS or Level-5 Vision to hear more.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, I’m picking Mystery Journey on Switch.

My father will love it without a doubt too.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I never got around to picking up Mystery Journey when it came out, so I might give it a try in November. Playing a Layton game on the Switch sounds like it could be pretty fun. :estatic:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'll probably give it a go too. I heard it was probably the weakest in the whole series. But I guess I would want to have a closer look at the models anyway.

I heard all the DLC costumes are available in the game as unlockables too as well as 50 more for the Switch version (Although most of these seem to be just palette swaps of existing costumes from what I've seen) You also don't have to use these little NFC trinkets they sold in Japan to unlock certain outfits.

Hopefully that includes Flora's dress since that one is a pain to get nowadays, if you can even get it at all outside of downloading the 3DS eshop version of the game....

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Edit:

Looks like Layton's Mystery Journey Deluxe is coming soon to the Switch too.
Well I guess I'm buying the game a third time.

amageish

Smash Master
Came here to celebrate the port news! I was expecting this to be announced at Level-5's Anime Expo panel, so I'm interested in what they'll be doing there...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Came here to celebrate the port news! I was expecting this to be announced at Level-5's Anime Expo panel, so I'm interested in what they'll be doing there...
As for me, I'm wondering if the Wayforward/Trigger collaboration for Shantae 5 will simply just be a reiterated formal announcement. A release date for the game would be within the realm of reason, at the least (otherwise, my guess is sometime between now and December 31st :drshrug:).

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Ayyy, Layton news and Miiyamoto shoutout real nice stuff! But hey, I'm sure y'all probably did this earlier in the thread but maybe opinions have changed, dunno, but was wondering, what do y'all envision and/or hope for a potential stage? And music!

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
One stage idea I had for a Layton stage would be on based on the climax of Unwound future.

Where you fight on Clive's giant mecha with a London city scape in the background, falling debre and such would come around and occasionally the mecha would fall underground where the background changes for a bit to the "future" london, before the mecha coming back to the surface where the first background would be there.

I don't know if this is a good stage concept but the only other one I could really think of was a rip off of the Spirit train using the train from Diabolical box.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
One stage idea I had for a Layton stage would be on based on the climax of Unwound future.

Where you fight on Clive's giant mecha with a London city scape in the background, falling debre and such would come around and occasionally the mecha would fall underground where the background changes for a bit to the "future" london, before the mecha coming back to the surface where the first background would be there.

I don't know if this is a good stage concept but the only other one I could really think of was a rip off of the Spirit train using the train from Diabolical box.
Ayy, both of these came to mind actually! What also came to mind and I guess what I hope for cause I love this type of atmosphere is something with some nightlife! A park at night with a few people walking around, streetlamps, didn't they have a park in Curious Village...? Hmm... But yeah cool, there's neat potential!

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
If you're talking about potential stages, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more memorable set piece than the tower of St. Mystere. Might be a repeat in concept of stages like New Donk and Prism Tower, but it'd be a neat way for players to fight across that wonky structure and get some nice views of the town itself.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
If you're talking about potential stages, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more memorable set piece than the tower of St. Mystere. Might be a repeat in concept of stages like New Donk and Prism Tower, but it'd be a neat way for players to fight across that wonky structure and get some nice views of the town itself.
Oh, hm! I played the first 4 games and actually forgot this...! But it's real cool it appears in the first game and again later, interesting, a cool option for sure!

Hmm, now I'm just thinking bout what I remember most... I remember...the train from the second game, and yeah we've already got a train. Mm...I rememberrr...ruins...and festivals...y'know there's not really one spot that screams super memorable to me, but doesn't the 6th game or movie have some beautiful part with like uhh...a bunch of waterfalls or like, a sinkhole all the water is going to? Something like that... that would be really unique and pretty! I guess the most memorable setting to me is the climax of the 3rd game <3

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I guess a stage based on one of the locations from Azran legacy would be pretty cool. Those different countries and cultures were beautiful.

Maybe a stage where you fight on top of an airship as it quickly cycles through some of them? London included of course.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Ayyy, Layton news and Miiyamoto shoutout real nice stuff! But hey, I'm sure y'all probably did this earlier in the thread but maybe opinions have changed, dunno, but was wondering, what do y'all envision and/or hope for a potential stage? And music!
Huh, fancy seeing you here! I thought you were confined to the... other thread.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I guess the only thing I can think of at this point is the announcement of the western localization of the Layton's Mystery Journey anime series. It would be cool if there was an extra surprise announcement there too though.

As for Stage idea's. I'd suppose St. Mystere and London (More specifically Gressenheller University) would probably be the most iconic and recognisable locations the series has to offer, at least as far as first locations go.

Other options are the Molentary Express, I liked the idea that one Layton rumour had where you would see silhouettes of various characters of the Layton series make cameo's through the windows.

There is also the Azran Sanctuary or Airship Bostonius from Azran Legacy as well.

There is quite a few options there as far as stages go for Layton.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Huh, fancy seeing you here! I thought you were confined to the... other thread.
I peek here and there cause I love seeing other perspectives, but yeah, I don't chat much! But this feels like a sibling thread in a way and I was curious haha

amageish

Smash Master
I guess the only thing I can think of at this point is the announcement of the western localization of the Layton's Mystery Journey anime series. It would be cool if there was an extra surprise announcement there too though.
That would be amazing. I watched some of the series on YouTube, but would love to have a way of watching that in English that supports Level-5 in the process. I really do love Katrielle and Ernest as characters, even if their game had subpar puzzles. I wouldn't mind a tease of whatever is to come with the detective and the professor either though.

As for the stage and music discussion, a travelling stage is probably the easiest way to represent the franchise's history, but if we were stuck to one location, then I imagine St. Mystere would be the pick, as the original location. There is so much good music that I don't know where to start - I'd probably hope for all 7 game main themes in addition to some puzzle-solving themes and a couple battle-ready remixes of the more relaxing tracks?

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Katrielle's game is coming to switch woo! I already thought it was out only in Japan (and maybe South Korea) but to have a worldwide release is very nice. I may pick it up again just to have for my collection.

November is a good time for a certain announcement too...perhaps the good Professor or Katrielle herself? ;)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Katrielle's game is coming to switch woo! I already thought it was out only in Japan (and maybe South Korea) but to have a worldwide release is very nice. I may pick it up again just to have for my collection.

November is a good time for a certain announcement too...perhaps the good Professor or Katrielle herself? ;)
Kat's game has already been on Switch in Japan since last year, yes.

October/November is definitely a perfect time for the prof. Especially since that's the most significant time of year for Level-5.
Layton feels like the perfect character to release around that time too (Although they would probably release fighter 4 in December, but as a reveal at that point would still work.)

Doesn't nintendo commonly have a Direct around that point too?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Kat's game has already been on Switch in Japan since last year, yes.

October/November is definitely a perfect time for the prof. Especially since that's the most significant time of year for Level-5.
Layton feels like the perfect character to release around that time too (Although they would probably release fighter 4 in December, but as a reveal at that point would still work.)

Doesn't nintendo commonly have a Direct around that point too?
I think they usually have a Direct in September but there have been ones in October.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think they usually have a Direct in September but there have been ones in October.
Ah I see, that does seem like a good bet as to when the next fighter will be revealed then.
I'd imagine that Banjo would probably also be released around that point too.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well it has changed over the years, there was a time when we got a direct every two months so thered be one in august and one in october but recently i think setember is about right

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
well it has changed over the years, there was a time when we got a direct every two months so thered be one in august and one in october but recently i think setember is about right
I think they used to do that when the late Satoru Iwata was still around and running the Directs. After his passing, Directs where used a lot more sparingly since then.
At least if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think they used to do that when the late Satoru Iwata was still around and running the Directs. After his passing, Directs where used a lot more sparingly since then.
At least if I recall correctly.
yeah that sounds about right, still over all directs are still fun to watch whenever they come around i feel

Top Bottom