• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Lol I almost feel bad for bringing up the cursed image of manga Layton.

Y'all have probably already seen it, but I really liked this concept art for PLvPW that shows the characters in there respective artstyles. A more realistic Layton can work, just got to keep his beady eyes. Also cartoony Phoenix and Maya are super cute.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Y'all have probably already seen it, but I really liked this concept art for PLvPW that shows the characters in there respective artstyles. A more realistic Layton can work, just got to keep his beady eyes. Also cartoony Phoenix and Maya are super cute.
Did they give Layton a smoke pipe at one point?
Oh god lmao, I never noticed that until now. :laugh:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

Not gonna lie, but I dig Layton's more pronounced jaw-line in that Ace Attorney style!

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
Layton is one of the characters I'd love to see in Smash.
You have my support!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
* Layton is another Waluigi
* Layton is not acknowledged at all
* Layton is added but as a Spirit only
* We get a Level-5 rep but its Jibanyan

The link in that post provides full context.
i didnt see it i was getting dizzy from trying to read the wheel

also theres nothing wrong with jibanyan

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Sign me up, too!

If we got both Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright I would be beyond the moon.
That's the dream. And thanks, I've added you too.

i didnt see it i was getting dizzy from trying to read the wheel

also theres nothing wrong with jibanyan
You can simply copy the image file and paste it on something like MS Paint if you want to see the still image. Just for future reference.

And certainly, I'd be happy enough if Level-5 manages to get their foot through the door at all.

If we do happen to get Jibanyan over the Prof. Then its at least assuring to know that he's more or less next in line as far as highly demanded Level-5 characters go. Unless Sakurai where to throw us a curveball and add that kid from Snack World or something....

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's the dream. And thanks, I've added you too.

You can simply copy the image file and paste it on something like MS Paint if you want to see the still image. Just for future reference.

And certainly, I'd be happy enough if Level-5 manages to get their foot through the door at all.

If we do happen to get Jibanyan over the Prof. Then its at least assuring to know that he's more or less next in line as far as highly demanded Level-5 characters go. Unless Sakurai where to throw us a curveball and add that kid from Snack World or something....
That is assuming we even get Snack World stateside at all.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Unfortunately, I'm probably not going to finish Last Specter in time to share thoughts on the game's character arcs, as I will be leaving on June 10th.

Personally, I am going to miss talking in this support thread the most because I met some of my closest buddies like Curious Villager, King Son, and GoodGrief. It was really fun to have talked about Layton's chances, the Layton anime, and other related Level-5 stuff through out the years.

That said, I might come back here very briefly, should Layton be revealed at E3 2019 or some latter event to celebrate the occasion. I wish the best for you guys. I get the tingly feeling that Layton could be playable this time around, but I'm not raising my expectations beyond that.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Unfortunately, I'm probably not going to finish Last Specter in time to share thoughts on the game's character arcs, as I will be leaving on June 10th.

Personally, I am going to miss talking in this support thread the most because I met some of my closest buddies like Curious Villager, King Son, and GoodGrief. It was really fun to have talked about Layton's chances, the Layton anime, and other related Level-5 stuff through out the years.

That said, I might come back here very briefly, should Layton be revealed at E3 2019 or some latter event to celebrate the occasion. I wish the best for you guys. I get the tingly feeling that Layton could be playable this time around, but I'm not raising my expectations beyond that.
Oh are you leaving Blue?

We'd be sad to see you go but I suppose things happen. We'd be glad to see you back anytime if the Prof manages to make it in.

Take care man, It's been fun speculating with you.

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
I'm a huge supporter of Katrielle Layton for Smash and am honestly not creative enough and too lazy to start up my own thread for her. It's probably best not to split the Layton fans anyway. It's a bit disappointing seeing how strong support was for Layton in Smash 4 and now it's just kinda faded away somewhat. But even though I've only played Mystery Journey, I'm a big supporter of both (though I'm partial to Katrielle even though I know how crazily unlikely it is to happen).

Anyway, that brings me to why I'm joining this thread: I'm making a Google doc to showcase some moveset ideas and just various other content that Katrielle could bring to Smash. There's not a lot of fan renders of her, splash screens, etc. (actually I encountered none), and I am not an artist or creative type in the slightest so I can't draw my ideas :( BUT be that as it may, I created a document to chronicle some of my ideas for a potential Katrielle Layton appearance in Smash! Please take a look - it's a work in progress and I'm going to be adding more. If you have suggestions feel free to hit me up!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ASfwRikI4RCDlLdEuZbEdt8t6Lgd5sDJDSDNVffNvj8/edit?usp=sharing

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm a huge supporter of Katrielle Layton for Smash and am honestly not creative enough and too lazy to start up my own thread for her. It's probably best not to split the Layton fans anyway. It's a bit disappointing seeing how strong support was for Layton in Smash 4 and now it's just kinda faded away somewhat. But even though I've only played Mystery Journey, I'm a big supporter of both (though I'm partial to Katrielle even though I know how crazily unlikely it is to happen).

Anyway, that brings me to why I'm joining this thread: I'm making a Google doc to showcase some moveset ideas and just various other content that Katrielle could bring to Smash. There's not a lot of fan renders of her, splash screens, etc. (actually I encountered none), and I am not an artist or creative type in the slightest so I can't draw my ideas :( BUT be that as it may, I created a document to chronicle some of my ideas for a potential Katrielle Layton appearance in Smash! Please take a look - it's a work in progress and I'm going to be adding more. If you have suggestions feel free to hit me up!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ASfwRikI4RCDlLdEuZbEdt8t6Lgd5sDJDSDNVffNvj8/edit?usp=sharing
Thank you for your support amazonevan19 amazonevan19
I think the series is filled to the brim with a lot of great candidates for Smash to the point that I always found it to be a bit of a bummer that the series is third party. Which means that getting additional characters might pose more of a challenge down the road. Especially when bigger series like Sonic and Megaman are struggling to get additional non echo newcomers.

Kat would make a nice second rep though if we ever come to that point where third party franchises can get multiple unique characters, but I do agree that it may be for the best to focus our efforts in at least getting the Prof in first since he's the main face and mascot of the series as a whole and it may be for the best not to divide the fanbase too much, lest it ends up like the Zelda and Rhythm Heaven support base to where no one can agree on one specific character,

That said, your contribution for Kat is still highly appreciated.

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Thank you for your support amazonevan19 amazonevan19
I think the series is filled to the brim with a lot of great candidates for Smash to the point that I always found it to be a bit of a bummer that the series is third party. Which means that getting additional characters might pose more of a challenge down the road. Especially when bigger series like Sonic and Megaman are struggling to get additional non echo newcomers.

Kat would make a nice second rep though if we ever come to that point where third party franchises can get multiple unique characters, but I do agree that it may be for the best to focus our efforts in at least getting the Prof in first since he's the main face and mascot of the series as a whole and it may be for the best not to divide the fanbase too much, lest it ends up like the Zelda and Rhythm Heaven support base to where no one can agree on one specific character,

That said, your contribution for Kat is still highly appreciated.
Thank you! :)

Indeed, that makes a lot of sense about not dividing and how some third parties are really struggling to get additional reps. (If my avatar is any indication, I know that pain very well :( ...RIP Shadow) I don't want to sound presumptuous given my unfamiliarity with Layton proper, but if Professor Layton is the obvious first choice, then I think Kat is the obvious second choice given how hard the Layton team went in giving her her own game and making her the "new face" of the series.

That being said, a Simon/Richter scenario is possible, or just Kat on her own getting is possible too, given recency and Level 5's push.

But I definitely do not want to disrespect the Prof and even my bias towards Kat is not enough for me to besmirch the fact that he would be the obvious pick, and Kat would probably wind up a spirit. But hey, that's great - any Layton/Level 5 representation would be a dream come true!!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Indeed, that makes a lot of sense about not dividing and how some third parties are really struggling to get additional reps. (If my avatar is any indication, I know that pain very well :( ...RIP Shadow) I don't want to sound presumptuous given my unfamiliarity with Layton proper, but if Professor Layton is the obvious first choice, then I think Kat is the obvious second choice given how hard the Layton team went in giving her her own game and making her the "new face" of the series.

That being said, a Simon/Richter scenario is possible, or just Kat on her own getting is possible too, given recency and Level 5's push.

But I definitely do not want to disrespect the Prof and even my bias towards Kat is not enough for me to besmirch the fact that he would be the obvious pick, and Kat would probably wind up a spirit. But hey, that's great - any Layton/Level 5 representation would be a dream come true!!
That's alright no worries about it. Who knows, depending on what they decide to do with Layton's moveset, they could very well incorporate Kat as an echo or even a semi clone along with him. Kind of like what they did with Simon and Richter. Though that might be something that would probably happen in the next game as I'm not sure how likely Echo DLC would be...

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

Hey Blue, you mentioned that you that your leaving Smashboards to focus on your dream job, what is your dream job that you got?

I'd love a Simon/Richter echo situation for Hershel/Katrielle, probably a long shot though. They said that the new DLC characters won't be echoes, not sure if they meant that that there will be no echoes what so ever or that they're just reassuring us that the primary characters included in the fighter packs will have an original movesets instead of copies of already present characters. I still need to get around to playing Kartielle's games, as I'm waiting for them to come to the Switch, but I really like her design without even knowing anything about her yet.

Also, on the topic of Layton, I feel like Layton isn't really a E3 reveal character, he kind of more appeals to the casual fanbase rather than hardcore one. If he ever did get revealed I feel like he'd be announced at a nintendo direct, maybe around late summer/fall. This could be just me in the bargaining stage of grief over Layton's chances though.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Also, on the topic of Layton, I feel like Layton isn't really a E3 reveal character, he kind of more appeals to the casual fanbase rather than hardcore one. If he ever did get revealed I feel like he'd be announced at a nintendo direct, maybe around late summer/fall. This could be just me in the bargaining stage of grief over Layton's chances though.
No I agree, I don't think he will be shown off at E3 either.

He really feels like a Nintendo/Smash Direct type of reveal to me too.
If we consider the Fatal Frame Assist Trophy as a Koei Tecmo rep, then Level-5 is probably more or less the only notable Japanese third party company left that doesn't have any content whatsoever in Smash. With Sakurai apparently being good friends with Hino too. I really hope Level-5 gets thrown a bone at least...

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Hey Blue, you mentioned that you that your leaving Smashboards to focus on your dream job, what is your dream job that you got?
I had not received it yet, but I am currently studying to become a mangaka. I have a story in mind that I had in my mind for years that I want to accomplish through manga medium. VIZ is currently signing up for people interested in becoming mangaka this year, so that is why I am leaving Smash speculation behind. It is something that I feel will make me very happy.

No I agree, I don't think he will be shown off at E3 either.

He really feels like a Nintendo/Smash Direct type of reveal to me too.
I disagree. I think he is worthy and iconic enough to be an E3 reveal. I think he would be a big deal, especially for the casual audience.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I had not received it yet, but I am currently studying to become a mangaka. I have a story in mind that I had in my mind for years that I want to accomplish through manga medium. VIZ is currently signing up for people interested in becoming mangaka this year, so that is why I am leaving Smash speculation behind. It is something that I feel will make me very happy.
In that case, I wish you the very best of luck with your goal Blue!
I'd be very happy to see what you have produced in the future once that time comes.
Take care man.

I disagree. I think he is worthy and iconic enough to be an E3 reveal. I think he would be a big deal, especially for the casual audience.
I suppose after Wii Fit Trainer, Palutena and what is apparently a character from a franchise that is mainly popular in Japan that is likely to be revealed at E3. I suppose anything really goes with Sakurai. Here's hoping for the best.

Just so long as he isn't saved for the fifth reveal because boy that will be a very stressful point. Unless they also confirm that they are doing a second fighters pass. Which hopefully they will but I'm not holding my breath for that regardless of any datamined evidence for that...

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

Oh wow that would be a dream job come true, best of luck to ya Blue!

Perhaps I am a bit to pessimistic with Layton, I do agree that he's worthy and iconic enough to be revealed at E3, but I could see someone like Square Enix really want to push for an E3 reveal for someone like Erdrick while Layton would could probably be fine with a reveal anytime this year.

Also I never realized that besides Dragon Quest 9 (which was developed by Level-5 oddly enough), The original trilogy Professor Layton games were the best selling 3rd party games on the DS. Really throughout the entire entire DS and 3DS era, Level-5 has been a powerhouse for Nintendo's portable consoles, they honestly deserve a character in my mind.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh wow that would be a dream job come true, best of luck to ya Blue!

Perhaps I am a bit to pessimistic with Layton, I do agree that he's worthy and iconic enough to be revealed at E3, but I could see someone like Square Enix really want to push for an E3 reveal for someone like Erdrick while Layton would could probably be fine with a reveal anytime this year.

Also I never realized that besides Dragon Quest 9 (which was developed by Level-5 oddly enough), The original trilogy Professor Layton games were the best selling 3rd party games on the DS. Really throughout the entire entire DS and 3DS era, Level-5 has been a powerhouse for Nintendo's portable consoles, they honestly deserve a character in my mind.
Now that you mention it, the Layton series does have a bit of a history with the Dragon Quest series.
Dragon Quest was the last series Level-5 worked on before they started working on Curious village. I believe there is even a dummy file hidden within the games code that is based off an enemy from the Dragon Quest series.

Seeing Layton come along with a Dragon Quest character would certainly bring things full circle.

And yeah, I think its more or less safe to say that Layton is to the DS era as Megaman was to the NES era and Banjo Kazooie was to the N64 era. He really was that much of a big deal back during those days. Especially to Nintendo. He really earned his place imo.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
might i offer my wishes for luck as well

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Some leaks came about, don't open if you don't want to be spoiled:

Looks like more Switch ports from Level-5 are coming. Level-5 is certainly going big in 2019 with the Switch. Ni No Kuni being on Switch kinda comes full circle. It was originally on the DS, then stuck with PS consoles, now it's on Nintendo consoles again. It is bittersweet in a sense.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh so Level-5 is getting some announcements too? that would be great to hear.
I don't think I can bear waiting any longer for any news from them. They have been so quiet lately.

Hopefully they will either announce the original Layton trilogy for the Switch or a new entry at least...

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Looks like more Switch ports from Level-5 are coming. Level-5 is certainly going big in 2019 with the Switch. Ni No Kuni being on Switch kinda comes full circle. It was originally on the DS, then stuck with PS consoles, now it's on Nintendo consoles again. It is bittersweet in a sense.
Big yay for this one, always meant to play that.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

ooh is that original?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So the next Direct will be upon us tomorrow. I doubt we will be seeing Layton revealed there but I hope they will at least finally reveal the heavily rumoured Square and Microsoft characters so we can finally close that chapter.

I'm not sure there are many rumours out there that cover the fourth and fifth characters (or at least, those seem to be all over the place) so hopefully they manage to keep those a surprise until then. And hopefully by some miracle the Prof will be able to make it through. (or at least, they confirm a second fighters pass by that point so there is a bit more wiggle room for us, but I'm not holding my breath for that...)

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I am hoping for an announcement of the Layton iOS ports to the Switch at the very least.

Ideally, I think it would be best to make the original three games a trilogy pack, but I see it likely that each game will be sold separately.

If we are very very lucky, a new Layton game that's not Millionaire's Conspiracy could happen.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I am hoping for an announcement of the Layton iOS ports to the Switch at the very least.

Ideally, I think it would be best to make the original three games a trilogy pack, but I see it likely that each game will be sold separately.

If we are very very lucky, a new Layton game that's not Millionaire's Conspiracy could happen.
While a new Layton game would be the dream, a Switch HD port is probably one of my most wanted things for E3 tomorrow, I've been loving the Ace Attorney HD trilogy, hopefully we get something like that. I actually wouldn't be completely opposed to a new Katrielle game, I still feel like she has potential.

Still hate to see you go, if we get Professor Layton tomorrow or in the coming months, you'll be in our minds.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Twitter's gotten quite vocal for Layton in Smash today. I wish I could check Tumblr too but for whatever reason the tag won't let me view more than a handful of posts....

Oh well, here's hoping for the best...
By the way, back in Brawl (and Smash 4 technically) when Toon Link was confirmed for the first time. I listened to this song as a sort of "victory" song for his confirmation.
What would you guys consider to be a good victory song for Layton if he did eventually make it in?

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Twitter's gotten quite vocal for Layton in Smash today. I wish I could check Tumblr too but for whatever reason the tag won't let me view more than a handful of posts....

By the way, back in Brawl (and Smash 4 technically) when Toon Link was confirmed for the first time. I listened to this song as a sort of "victory" song for his confirmation.

What would you guys consider to be a good victory song for Layton if he did eventually make it in?
I think taking a small snippet from his theme song would probably be the best bet

Maybe a slightly faster version of the tune from 0:40 to 0:48

Like you said, I have noticed that more Layton fans have come out of the woodwork in the past few days than I’ve seen for the near entirety of ultimate hype cycle, it’s been fun to see. Even saw this posted on Reddit
0DE3AE0D-04F1-471D-A4DF-04412D5F4880.jpeg

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think taking a small snippet from his theme song would probably be the best bet

Maybe a slightly faster version of the tune from 0:40 to 0:48

Like you said, I have noticed that more Layton fans have come out of the woodwork in the past few days than I’ve seen for the near entirety of ultimate hype cycle, it’s been fun to see. Even saw this posted on Reddit
View attachment 227231
I think that song slightly sped up by 1.25 sounds perfect as a victory song for Layton. Definitely!

Hah I've seen that. I think someone does that almost every Direct that potentially yields a Smash reveal. I think someone also referred to Aurora's Azran chant along with it, lol.

But yeah, Layton fans seem to get the most vocal whenever we are near an important announcement. It's nice to know that their still around. Just a bit more silent compared to other character support bases.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

what ever catchy tune play with his reveal

Top Bottom