• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

D

Deleted member

Maybe Layton vs Sherlock Holmes could be the theme of a future game?

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
If Level 5 is working on the next game right now, I have a feeling that next game will be the second half of the Layton anime since it covers content that wasn't in the first game, is the direct follow-up to it, and has a story that could encompass an entire game. It could also be a good way for international Layton fans to experience what learn what happens in the second half of the anime assuming said show doesn't get an English dub.

Which reminds me that I need to start watching the Layton anime soon now that I recently heard what happened in the second half and makes me really interested to watch it.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I wonder why the Layton anime has never got an English dub. It's a popular series so that's pretty weird.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
As cool as that would be, the Doyle estate is notorious for threatening legal action over Sherlock Homes.

The Great Ace Attorney features Sherlock Holmes as a character, which may be a reason it has never been released in the west, among other reasons.
I thought Sherlock Holmes was in the public domain?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
As cool as that would be, the Doyle estate is notorious for threatening legal action over Sherlock Homes.

The Great Ace Attorney features Sherlock Holmes as a character, which may be a reason it has never been released in the west, among other reasons.
Really? Didn't LMJ straight up name drop Sherloc Holmes though? I mean, that's who Sherl is named after in game.

I suppose they may not be allowed to straight up depict the character? It would be nice to see Hershel crossing over with Sherloc Holmes in a game though, especially since he canonically exists in universe. Unless there is a large time gap between the two...

If Level 5 is working on the next game right now, I have a feeling that next game will be the second half of the Layton anime since it covers content that wasn't in the first game, is the direct follow-up to it, and has a story that could encompass an entire game. It could also be a good way for international Layton fans to experience what learn what happens in the second half of the anime assuming said show doesn't get an English dub.

Which reminds me that I need to start watching the Layton anime soon now that I recently heard what happened in the second half and makes me really interested to watch it.
I guess it depends, I believe Hino stated that the next entry might not necessarily star Kat again so It's hard to tell if they bring the events of the anime over to the games or if the anime was just meant to tie in some of the lose ends of the game. They still have to address Sherl's case though.

I wonder why the Layton anime has never got an English dub. It's a popular series so that's pretty weird.
If I recall correctly, a German dub was confirmed fairly recently as well as another language I think. So I'm assuming we'll be hearing about it soon. Level-5 is probably just being their usual slow selves when it comes to getting their stuff localized.
Either that or they might just pull off another Professor Layton and the Cheerful Mystery manga series and only localize it to a select few countries, I would hope not....

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Really? Didn't LMJ straight up name drop Sherloc Holmes though? I mean, that's who Sherl is named after in game.

I suppose they may not be allowed to straight up depict the character? It would be nice to see Hershel crossing over with Sherloc Holmes in a game though, especially since he canonically exists in universe. Unless there is a large time gap between the two...

I guess it depends, I believe Hino stated that the next entry might not necessarily star Kat again so It's hard to tell if they bring the events of the anime over to the games or if the anime was just meant to tie in some of the lose ends of the game. They still have to address Sherl's case though.

If I recall correctly, a German dub was confirmed fairly recently as well as another language I think. So I'm assuming we'll be hearing about it soon. Level-5 is probably just being their usual slow selves when it comes to getting their stuff localized.
Either that or they might just pull off another Professor Layton and the Cheerful Mystery manga series and only localize it to a select few countries, I would hope not....
Wait wait hold up

There's a manga series?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Wait wait hold up

There's a manga series?
Yes, there is a manga series called Professor Layton and the Cheerful Mystery. It's a bit more of a slice of life/mystery of the week comedic take on the Layton series. Kind of like the Super Mario Kun manga series or even the actual LMJ anime itself,

Unfortunately it never got an official English release (Only getting localized in a select few European countries such as Germany and I think France and Italy too)

You can read some of the stories here though if you want as a fan's been working on translating them.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Only some parts of the franchise are in the public domain. Others are still under copyright
Would you look at that.

Still, as long as there isn't any elements from the 9 copyrighted stories adapted, there's no basis for legal action. I doubt that would keep the devs from featuring Sherlock Holmes in a game.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Would you look at that.

Still, as long as there isn't any elements from the 9 copyrighted stories adapted, there's no basis for legal action. I doubt that would keep the devs from featuring Sherlock Holmes in a game.
Most likely yes, but still having to be extra careful how to depict the character to avoid a possible lawsuit seems might be more trouble than its worth.

On the topic of legality and copyright, if Layton gets in do you think they could/will use music from the Eternal Diva movie or PLvPW? They both seem to be in a bit of a grey area since movie soundtracks always seem to always have legal shenanigans with distribution rights and PLvPW might need permission from Capcom (who is thankfully the most easy to work with 3rd party company in smash.)

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'm sure they would get PLVSAA music in there since Capcom is already part of the crossover.

Though which songs would they pick?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Most likely yes, but still having to be extra careful how to depict the character to avoid a possible lawsuit seems might be more trouble than its worth.

On the topic of legality and copyright, if Layton gets in do you think they could/will use music from the Eternal Diva movie or PLvPW? They both seem to be in a bit of a grey area since movie soundtracks always seem to always have legal shenanigans with distribution rights and PLvPW might need permission from Capcom (who is thankfully the most easy to work with 3rd party company in smash.)
Isn't Cloud's alternate costume from a movie? I'd imagine they should be able to get the rights of the songs from Eternal Diva just fine. The movie was made by the same company that does the Pokemon movies I believe. And some of its songs where featured in the LMJ anime too.

They might have to remix the main song though in order to fit more within the context of a game, though I'd imagine Level-5 should be able to take care of that.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Isn't Cloud's alternate costume from a movie? I'd imagine they should be able to get the rights of the songs from Eternal Diva just fine. The movie was made by the same company that does the Pokemon movies I believe. And some of its songs where featured in the LMJ anime too.

They might have to remix the main song though in order to fit more within the context of a game, though I'd imagine Level-5 should be able to take care of that.
Advent Children was a movie produced in house at Square Enix, so there might be different issues.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Advent Children was a movie produced in house at Square Enix, so there might be different issues.
well i think level-5 was quite involved with the eternal diva, not to the extent of se in ac, of course simply checking the copyright notices for the movie would clear it up

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Does anyone know where to watch the movie/s?
You can watch the full movie here if you want. It takes place between Last Specter and Miracle Mask but I guess you can probably watch it just fine as the movie still reintroduces the new characters for those who didn't play the fourth game, nor are there any spoilers for said game either.

Hope you enjoy.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You can watch the full movie here if you want. It takes place between Last Specter and Miracle Mask but I guess you can probably watch it just fine as the movie still reintroduces the new characters for those who didn't play the fourth game, nor are there any spoilers for said game either.

Hope you enjoy.
Does it spoil the original trilogy, which I have yet to play?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Does it spoil the original trilogy, which I have yet to play?
While the movie itself takes place before the original trilogy, there are a lot of cameo's and references of characters and objects that may fly over your head if you haven't played the original trilogy yet. Especially at the very beginning, but their sprinkled around throughout the rest of the movie too. I might suggest playing those first at least before watching the movie so you can find them a lot easier and enjoy their presence more.

But that's just my opinion, they don't really effect the overall plot of the movie itself though, just some fun little nods and easter eggs hidden around for you to spot.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
While the movie itself takes place before the original trilogy, there are a lot of cameo's and references of characters and objects that may fly over your head if you haven't played the original trilogy yet. Especially at the very beginning, but their sprinkled around throughout the rest of the movie too. I might suggest playing those first at least before watching the movie so you can find them a lot easier and enjoy their presence more.

But that's just my opinion, they don't really effect the overall plot of the movie itself though, just some fun little nods and easter eggs hidden around for you to spot.
Bummer- I was hoping to get more into the series via the movie, especially until a rerelease is announced on Switch (because I'm definitely not putting money toward another system of Nintendo's at this time).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Bummer- I was hoping to get more into the series via the movie, especially until a rerelease is announced on Switch (because I'm definitely not putting money toward another system of Nintendo's at this time).
I see, we will probably be seeing the Switch version of Curious Village announced sometime this year and the rest of OG series will probably follow after. At least, if that one rumour is anything to go by.

If you don't want to wait that long, there is the IOS version of the remake out right now and we'll probably be getting Pandora's Box/Diabolical Box within the next couple of month's. Unless you don't want to play on or don't own an IOS device in which case yeah, we'll probably have to wait for the Switch version then. Hopefully we'll be hearing about that soon.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I see, we will probably be seeing the Switch version of Curious Village announced sometime this year and the rest of OG series will probably follow after. At least, if that one rumour is anything to go by.

If you don't want to wait that long, there is the IOS version of the remake out right now and we'll probably be getting Pandora's Box/Diabolical Box within the next couple of month's. Unless you don't want to play on or don't own an IOS device in which case yeah, we'll probably have to wait for the Switch version then. Hopefully we'll be hearing about that soon.
Yeah, I'm stubborn, I want to play on my switch. Approximately one third of why I buy games is because I can stare at my digital collection and feel I have variety of games, and a library of characters to become.
The other two thirds are to understand the legacy, and for fun!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

dont forget it shows a lot of clips of all four at the start of the film

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
dont forget it shows a lot of clips of all four at the start of the film
I suppose so, though I don't think they showed anything spoilerific in those. At least, nothing any more that what they showed for the commercials of those games.

But I suppose if you want to keep every cutscene fresh then I suppose so, yeah.

By the way, I'm not sure what's up with the deal these day's where people put Layton and Phoenix like its a "one or the other" type of deal. Neither franchises are owned by the same company, nor even share the same genre or gameplay. Yes they had a crossover at one point and they may have inspired each other for a few things. But other than that, they more or less go off and do their own things.

Sure, we may only have four spots left so choices are tight unless we get a second fighters pass confirmed. But I don't see any reasons why we can't potentially end up with both either.

That's just me though.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I suppose so, though I don't think they showed anything spoilerific in those. At least, nothing any more that what they showed for the commercials of those games.

By the way, I'm not sure what's up with the deal these day's where people put Layton and Phoenix like its a "one or the other" type of deal. Neither franchises are owned by the same company, nor even share the same genre or gameplay. Yes they had a crossover at one point and they may have inspired each other for a few things. But other than that, they more or less go off and do their own things.

Sure, we may only have four spots left so choices are tight unless we get a second fighters pass confirmed. But I don't see any reasons why we can't potentially end up with both either.

That's just me though.
It could be that they're both the icons of the modern visual novel/adventure game, and since it's sort of a niche genre there could just be the one who gets in.

Personally I think Layton and Wright both getting in would be so epic I don't even dare consider it, but if one gets in I would expect the other to follow in the next game.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It could be that they're both the icons of the modern visual novel/adventure game, and since it's sort of a niche genre there could just be the one who gets in.

Personally I think Layton and Wright both getting in would be so epic I don't even dare consider it, but if one gets in I would expect the other to follow in the next game.
Yeah same here, I could see Sakurai viewing the two as a package type deal though. I mean, he did want to include Heihachi alongside Ryu last game, but due to him being unable to come up with a way to translate his playstyle into Smash, he unfortunately had to scrap that idea and only let one in while compensating the other with a mii costume.

So I'd imagine it would probably be more down to whether or not Sakurai can come up with a fun playstyle for both of them rather than having to choose between the two due to what they represent.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

yes they did

it showed the inside of clive's machine, it was out like a week before said game

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Yeah same here, I could see Sakurai viewing the two as a package type deal though. I mean, he did want to include Heihachi alongside Ryu last game, but due to him being unable to come up with a way to translate his playstyle into Smash, he unfortunately had to scrap that idea and only let one in while compensating the other with a mii costume.

So I'd imagine it would probably be more down to whether or not Sakurai can come up with a fun playstyle for both of them rather than having to choose between the two due to what they represent.
Layton is my all time most wanted character and I would chose him over Phoenix in a heartbeat, but having both in smash would be a dream come true! Layton and Phoenix have a lot of potential to be very different in terms of abilities and style, the only really things that compare the two are that they are noncombatants of educated backgrounds.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I made an entire thread about what "Tekken's Style" means...
I honestly don't understand.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I got around to watching the finale of the Layton anime. Boy this ending annoys me, not the ending itself because it was a pretty happy one.

It's that one tease at the very end where we get to see
Alfendi and Lucy show up at Kats doorstep. Seriously I wanted these 2 to show up earlier so badly and they just dump them right at the very end.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm happy to see that those characters at least got some sort of acknowledgement and hopefully its a hint that they will be brought back and expanded upon in the future, instead of yet another tease that ends up being put into the back burner until who knows when (Looking at you, Luke's letter post Unwound/ Lost Future and Emmy's letter post AL)

The Layton series always had this notorious thing where characters just disappear abruptly without a trace without being given a proper send off or concluding their stories (Flora probably being the most notable example of this). I wouldn't mind a reunion type game, or maybe a movie, where all (or at least most) of the past characters come back for a certain case.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
So apparently there is a Professor Layton manga, which unfortunately has a generic art style instead of signature style of the games.
1C95C458-01AB-4B33-BAC4-39781B1F8723.jpeg

18827C2B-DAEE-49DE-96C5-C89DFBC4F65E.jpeg

Can’t say I care for Hershel’s non beady eyed look, he looks too young to me. Haven’t read it so I can’t really comment of its quality.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
King Sonnn DeDeDoo King Sonnn DeDeDoo Oh I've heard of that manga before, I've never really read it myself though. I wish they did a Layton manga in the traditional art style though. Closest thing is the Cheerful Mystery Manga I suppose.

Also, does anyone know what is being said here? The translation is a bit vague.

Something about a concert. If the Layton series is getting a live concert, that would be a pretty interesting thing to see.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So apparently there is a Professor Layton manga, which unfortunately has a generic art style instead of signature style of the games.
View attachment 218949
View attachment 218950

Can’t say I care for Hershel’s non beady eyed look, he looks too young to me. Haven’t read it so I can’t really comment of its quality.
well i can see why curiousvillager has never posted any pics of it before

Top Bottom