• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Also...

There's a certain weapon that Katrielle uses in that episode that kinda makes me want her over Layton in Smash.

It is very unconventional, but even in a spoiler, I rather keep it a surprise. It is quite fitting to her character and also hilarious.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I suppose she'd make a solid second rep if Hershel made it in with her electric magnifying glass as her main weapon.
Makes me even more bummed that the Layton series wasn't first party as the series has quite a lot of cool characters they could have included alongside Hershel.
Then again, with Sakurai wanting to make smash more a celebration of gaming rather than just Nintendo. If Layton managed to make it into this game as DLC we might potentially be able to get a second Layton character by the next Smash...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I suppose she'd make a solid second rep if Hershel made it in with her electric magnifying glass as her main weapon.
Makes me even more bummed that the Layton series wasn't first party as the series has quite a lot of cool characters they could have included alongside Hershel.
Then again, with Sakurai wanting to make smash more a celebration of gaming rather than just Nintendo. If Layton managed to make it into this game as DLC we might potentially be able to get a second Layton character by the next Smash...
I'd say that's entirely fair. Only issue is whether they'll be willing to add second characters for series that aren't Echoes. That's a small step to achieve.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah it remains to be seen how things will go in the next game. At least they kept the business suit and top hat for the mii fighters for now. I just got the full set yesterday.
2018120923554100-0E7DF678130F4F0FA2C88AE72B47AFDF.jpg

Here's hoping we get the real deals one day (or if we get someone else from Level-5 instead, then at least give us a more accurate Layton mii costume....)

Last edited:

Eremitaviola

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5198-1572-7120
User was warned for this post; double posting(Please edit your messages instead)
Yeah it remains to be seen how things will go in the next game. At least they kept the business suit and top hat for the mii fighters for now. I just got the full set yesterday.

Here's hoping we get the real deals one day (or if we get someone else from Level-5 instead, then at least give us a more accurate Layton mii costume....)
I wonder if they'd notice you if you got to elite battles with the Mii fighters?

Also
Katrielle would be a cool echo because I always thought it would make sense having her use an umbrella as a sword and now add the lens for her jab and stuff. So she would basically solve the hitbox problem were she would probably have shorter arms by having these weapons to extend some attacks. So they would only need to worry about taking away one hitbox from her head to make her shorter. Or have Sherl constantly on her head like a reverse Duck Hunt. Or not have the Professor's hat have a hitbox because otherwise she's pretty tall, especially if she ends up being a descendant of the villain or something. He looks tall, but I can't tell for her mother. So she can be the same height as the Professor. But not having the hitbox on the hat wouldn't make sense, characters with dresses have always had a disadvantage in the hitbox department because the gown has a hitbox, tough I guess it's not a problem if they resize the hat enough. Does Isabelle have an hitbox on her ponytail thingy? That's probably the max height for not having an hitbox or it would be too confusing and unfair, imagine a Marth trying to do a Dair tipper.

Also...

There's a certain weapon that Katrielle uses in that episode that kinda makes me want her over Layton in Smash.

It is very unconventional, but even in a spoiler, I rather keep it a surprise. It is quite fitting to her character and also hilarious.
Dude I just realized that the main antagonist doesn't have to be dead! He could have used the capsule thingies with his crime partner but since he's not there anymore I guess he'd be a bit older. Also with the hooded figure I expected them to get closed in but they might wait for the Professor to help them get out. I still think that's Marina tough 'cause where the heck is she?!

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I need to really start watching the Lady Layton anime, all these posts riddled with spoiler tags is making me motivated.

It’s so fun having this optimistic outlook on Layton after the joker reveal, I know Layton is not guaranteed or anything, but things seem to pointing in our favor for once. I hope the Professor surprises he smash community in the future, not a lot of people are predicting him but honestly who can predict Nintendo after our latest reveal.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I need to really start watching the Lady Layton anime, all these posts riddled with spoiler tags is making me motivated.

It’s so fun having this optimistic outlook on Layton after the joker reveal, I know Layton is not guaranteed or anything, but things seem to pointing in our favor for once. I hope the Professor surprises he smash community in the future, not a lot of people are predicting him but honestly who can predict Nintendo after our latest reveal.
At the very least I'd recommend watching episode 10, 20 and the last few episodes since those are actually about the main plot at hand in regards to Hershel and how he disappeared. It's nice to know that the plot is finally picking up the pace though, a bit odd that Level-5 let the anime explain everything over the games but I guess they got their reasons for that.

I mean yeah, it's probably a bit selfish to say but with the pool of remaining potential characters diminishing and Layton being one of the few characters that managed to survive through it all is nothing short but a miracle. But hey, best not to get cocky though as with only 4 potential DLC slots remaining (Assuming we only be getting one fighters pass) there is still a good chance that the prof might unfortunately miss the boat though.

At the very least, I hope we will be able to get at least someone from Level-5 for now, once they manage to get their foot through the door then I'd say Layton's chances are better than ever for at least the next Smash, whenever that one may come out...

Dude I just realized that the main antagonist doesn't have to be dead! He could have used the capsule thingies with his crime partner but since he's not there anymore I guess he'd be a bit older. Also with the hooded figure I expected them to get closed in but they might wait for the Professor to help them get out. I still think that's Marina tough 'cause where the heck is she?!
Yeah It's probably Marina since we didn't get to see what happened to her, if she's a villain then I don't know what her motivation would be to trap Layton and Luke inside of those capsules besides something to do with the Relic Stones..

Last edited:

Eremitaviola

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5198-1572-7120
At the very least I'd recommend watching episode 10, 20 and the last few episodes since those are actually about the main plot at hand in regards to Hershel and how he disappeared. It's nice to know that the plot is finally picking up the pace though, a bit odd that Level-5 let the anime explain everything over the games but I guess they got their reasons for that.

I mean yeah, it's probably a bit selfish to say but with the pool of remaining potential characters diminishing and Layton being one of the few characters that managed to survive through it all is nothing short but a miracle. But hey, best not to get cocky though as with only 4 potential DLC slots remaining (Assuming we only be getting one fighters pass) there is still a good chance that the prof might unfortunately miss the boat though.

At the very least, I hope we will be able to get at least someone from Level-5 for now, once they manage to get their foot through the door then I'd say Layton's chances are better than ever for at least the next Smash, whenever that one may come out...

Yeah It's probably Marina since we didn't get to see what happened to her, if she's a villain then I don't know what her motivation would be to trap Layton and Luke inside of those capsules besides something to do with the Relic Stones..
Yeah now I'm just throwing around random theories because I both hate how much risk there is for that to be a plot hole and how fun it is speculating but the only way I see her being a villain would be if she somehow got brainwashed or was promised immortality, because maybe that would be enough for her to turn evil even though she appears nice or she has the excuse that she could give it to Luke too or whatever because I don't think she was just lying the entire time, otherwise she could have just not have asked the Professor for help and avoided his snooping around, tough again I can't see her marrying Luke for some scheme so she might have prioritized saving him hoping he'd then give up. At least maybe now she'll turn out to be more resourceful than it looks because she said that she helps Luke in all his other adventures so her not doing anything feels wrong. It was fine with the first crack on the ceiling puzzle but after that it was just weird. I just hope she's not Flora 2.0 because she looked so cool. Though Luke was fifteen when he got involved with the relics so she might really have married him to keep an eye on him or get him and the Professor to solve something and it would explain her just keeping them there if she was also waiting for Katrielle to be old enough to help them. Also Katrielle said that there was probably another relic stone but never brought that up again, but that's maybe because the first hypothesis on all of them being sold almost at once was incorrect and they did have all of them. Idk I'm really interested AND confused.
[/QUOTE]

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah now I'm just throwing around random theories because I both hate how much risk there is for that to be a plot hole and how fun it is speculating but the only way I see her being a villain would be if she somehow got brainwashed or was promised immortality, because maybe that would be enough for her to turn evil even though she appears nice or she has the excuse that she could give it to Luke too or whatever because I don't think she was just lying the entire time, otherwise she could have just not have asked the Professor for help and avoided his snooping around, tough again I can't see her marrying Luke for some scheme so she might have prioritized saving him hoping he'd then give up. At least maybe now she'll turn out to be more resourceful than it looks because she said that she helps Luke in all his other adventures so her not doing anything feels wrong. It was fine with the first crack on the ceiling puzzle but after that it was just weird. I just hope she's not Flora 2.0 because she looked so cool. Though Luke was fifteen when he got involved with the relics so she might really have married him to keep an eye on him or get him and the Professor to solve something and it would explain her just keeping them there if she was also waiting for Katrielle to be old enough to help them. Also Katrielle said that there was probably another relic stone but never brought that up again, but that's maybe because the first hypothesis on all of them being sold almost at once was incorrect and they did have all of them. Idk I'm really interested AND confused.
[/QUOTE]
I feel like she'd probably end up being more an Emmy 2.0 if she ends up betraying everyone due to a larger scheme or something and having spied on Luke and Layton the whole time. Though we don't know much about her, nor have we learned enough about her to really give that revelation much impact. (Then again, the same could be said about Emmy and the Layton series does sometimes like to recycle some plot points so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised......)

Some folks jokingly speculate that the hooded figure could also be Flora, it would at least explain why she's been absent throughout everything and hiding herself under a hood is nothing new to her (Plus the head shape kinda matches up, then again, Flora's design is a pretty generic base female character design that Level-5 likes to recycle for some reason, even being used for Kat's character design) though I don't see any reason why she would agree to trapping the Prof and Luke inside a glass capsule though unless she was spying on the cult to ensure they wouldn't hurt them until she could find someone to help...

There is still a lot that yet needs to be explained so hopefully we'll be hearing more about everything soon.

Last edited:

Eremitaviola

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5198-1572-7120
I feel like she'd probably end up being more an Emmy 2.0 if she ends up betraying everyone due to a larger scheme or something and having spied on Luke and Layton the whole time. Though we don't know much about her, nor have we learned enough about her to really give that revelation much impact. (Then again, the same could be said about Emmy and the Layton series does sometimes like to recycle some plot points so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised......)

Some folks jokingly speculate that the hooded figure could also be Flora, it would at least explain why she's been absent throughout everything and hiding herself under a hood is nothing new to her (Plus the head shape kinda matches up, then again, Flora's design is a pretty generic female character design that Level-5 likes to recycle for some reason, even being used for Kat's character design) though I don't see any reason why she would agree to trapping the Prof and Luke inside a glass capsule though unless she was spying on the cult to ensure they wouldn't hurt them until she could find someone to help...

There is still a lot that yet needs to be explained so hopefully we'll be hearing more about everything soon.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah your theory about why Flora might be spying on them is the same as mine if that's Marina but not evil, but there's still the same problem of why she'd need help sneaking in to free them and why she didn't ask for help sooner if it's that guarded. I guess they can explain not asking the police with how Kat said, that they would have never listened, but that's still a bit weird. They would have at least made a check and found all those guys armed with swords. And now that I think about it everyone was talking like the Professor was the only one missing, then turns out Luke did too, and no one looked for him? What happened to his father? Is he dead? Did anyone tell his friends in America that he's missing? And still my insistence of it being Marina is still because she has no reason to not have been imprisoned with them and if she just wasn't considered a threat she could have asked for help but she wasn't there, unless the animators assumed no one cared and she was out of shot. Plus regarding no one other than Katrielle trying to find them I'm mostly bummed about the police probably investigating and not even finding that they last resided in that city. But then again no one found ruins hidden behind exactly one puzzle in like three different games so I probably shouldn't be that surprised.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah your theory about why Flora might be spying on them is the same as mine if that's Marina but not evil, but there's still the same problem of why she'd need help sneaking in to free them and why she didn't ask for help sooner if it's that guarded. I guess they can explain not asking the police with how Kat said, that they would have never listened, but that's still a bit weird. They would have at least made a check and found all those guys armed with swords. And now that I think about it everyone was talking like the Professor was the only one missing, then turns out Luke did too, and no one looked for him? What happened to his father? Is he dead? Did anyone tell his friends in America that he's missing? And still my insistence of it being Marina is still because she has no reason to not have been imprisoned with them and if she just wasn't considered a threat she could have asked for help but she wasn't there, unless the animators assumed no one cared and she was out of shot. Plus regarding no one other than Katrielle trying to find them I'm mostly bummed about the police probably investigating and not even finding that they last resided in that city. But then again no one found ruins hidden behind exactly one puzzle in like three different games so I probably shouldn't be that surprised.
Yeah the police are kind of notoriously known to be incompetent in the Layton series so I could see them not going for that, plus also not wanting to attract too much attention to the cult in case they would further harm the Prof and Luke.

But yeah, it is odd that no one even knew about the fact that Layton and Luke were missing the whole time. You would think that at least Luke's parent's or Flora and Emmy might have at least been involved. Unless again, they where either threatened or brainwashed to keep quiet or something, I don't know, hopefully they will explain it in the end though or else that might be a pretty glaring plot hole right there...

Perhaps it may have something to do with the new bad guy, from what I understood, he bribes the real culprits into pinning the accusation onto someone else. So perhaps he might have something to do why no one cares to investigate on why the Prof isn't around, maybe he blackmailed everyone to keep quiet? but again, we only just recently learned more about him and we don't know yet what his role is yet with the Prof and Luke specifically so I guess that remains to be seen too.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Just wanted to drop in the news that Professor Layton is currently being rated in the Rate Their Chances thread. Although it's his second re-rate, this is his first re-rate in light of the DLC news.

I've already done my part in that thread, and so have a few other Layton supporters, but for those that want to give Layton a hand and convince others about Layton's chances and potential as a DLC fighter, as well as showing your support for him there, fill free to drop by!

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
Recently, I had a lot of people shoot me down pretty quick whenever I mentioned Professor Layton as a pick for Smash Bros, so it was really nice to read some of the responses for the RTC thread, it made me feel way more confident than before.

For a long time, he's been my most wanted. Definitely since Pre-Smash 4. I love the guy with all my heart. And I think people are really sleeping on him this time around. Really pulling hopes out for the Professor here.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Curious Villager Curious Villager

Uh, right now I think my strongest guess for someone being in the DLC pack is either Wright or Layton, and I'm leaning Layton.
And honestly, I'm hopping on the supporter train because he's a badass.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Curious Villager Curious Villager

Uh, right now I think my strongest guess for someone being in the DLC pack is either Wright or Layton, and I'm leaning Layton.
And honestly, I'm hopping on the supporter train because he's a badass.
Yay it’s nice to see more people jump on the Layton express!

Just curious, what made you realize Layton and Phoenix are likely candidates?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's great to see more people feeling that Layton has a good shot for the game! Speaking of which, I have been noticing more vocal support for Layton ever since Joker's reveal and the confirmation in regards to this game's DLC focusing more on franchises that never got any content in Smash before.

I do personally feel that the chances of one of the remaining four DLC spots being for someone from Level-5 is particularly likely, they've become a huge name in Japan thanks to the success of the Layton and Yokai Watch series, their one of the few remaining notable Japanese third party companies that haven't got any content in Smash yet and both Hino and Sakurai seem to be on a particular friendly terms with each other, having crossed paths several times as well as having brought up the idea of content in regards to Smash in the past.

Hino in particular is very well aware for the demand of seeing content from their games into Smash and I'm fairly certain that Sakurai is aware of it too, if not from Hino himself than the fighter ballot most surely gave him some reassurance.

Here's hoping things will turn out for the best...

By the way, here's a cute comic Hino posted today in regards to his life as a game developer and how he worked his way through until he became the head CEO of Level-5. It's in Japanese but you can still enjoy the panels though. Boy Level-5's art style is so wholesome. One of the perks of Smash's Spirits now being official art is now that if Level-5 where to get content in Smash, we'd get to enjoy their art in game too, which we would have unfortunately missed out on had they remained 3D modelled trophies.

http://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/manga/181219a

Flyboy

Smash Hero
With Travis Touchdown off the table as per SUDA51 himself, I'm happy to say that Layton is now in my top five most-wanted dream DLC picks. The list is now Joker, Phoenix, Layton, 2B, and a Style Savvy rep. I've also finally unlocked the top hat so my Layton Mii is looking great!

More than anything I want a Phoenix and Layton dual reveal. Phoenix is my new personal most-wanted now that Joker is in, and as I've said in the past I loved Phoenix and Layton's crossover game and would love to see them duke it out in Smash. It's funny, I have the RTC thread for making me realize how much I wanted Layton. I got so mad at people underrating him and claiming blatant falsehoods about his series popularity and moveset potential that I went fully on the Layton train. Haha.

Let's hope this is his time!

Last edited:

DigiTAG

Smash Rookie
Add me to the list of supporters, please.

Layton was actually the character I voted for in the Smash Ballot, and I’d still like for him to get in. I don’t know how likely he is, but I feel like he could have a pretty interesting moveset.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Add me to the list of supporters, please.

Layton was actually the character I voted for in the Smash Ballot, and I’d still like for him to get in. I don’t know how likely he is, but I feel like he could have a pretty interesting moveset.
the only character?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Saw the latest article from ANN detailing last week's Japanese TV rankings, Layton managed to rank on the top:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-12-27/japan-animation-tv-ranking-december-17-23/.141387

Interesting that AA and YW still reign king in ratings.

View attachment 184571
It's great to see the Layton anime doing so well. If anything, It's a nice reassurance that the Layton series is still very popular in Japan.
I'm happy to see the Ace Attorney anime doing so well too.

Made this, figured I'd share it here!

View attachment 184477
That looks great! Very nicely done Rasumii!

It's nice to see more folk's coming in to lend their support for Layton, I've added you all to the supporters list!

Also apparently a new "leak" has come along yesterday that states that Layton is the second character being worked on after Joker. It's more than likely fake but oh well, if you're interested.
Professor Layton (Professor Layton)

• Is in the game due to Level-5’s and Nintendo’s close bond, plus due to the lack off Nintendo DS representative 's on the current roster (the only one being Lucario).
  • Level-5 is currently remastering the original triology for mobile, with all 3 games in 1 coming to Switch in Summer 2019.
  • His stage is the Molentary Express
  • You’ll fight on the roof of the Molentary Express, and sometimes silhoutte’s of popular characters will appear in the windows
  • The Molentary Express will move in a tunnel sometimes, making the entire screen pitch black
  • Don Paolo appears as a Stage Boss, beating him will give you control over his machine
  • There’s a remix of the Theme of the Last Battle, a medley of all the main title themes, a Legacy of the Advanced Civilization medley and a Professor Layton’s Theme and Puzzles theme medley (arranged by ACE).
  • Professor Layton’s Theme, Puzzles, Theme of the Demon’s Box, Molentary Express, Theme of the Last Time Travel, Huge Weapon, Theme of the Devil’s Flute, Descole’s Theme (orchestra), Theme of the Miracle Mask, Theme of Tajento, Legacy of the Advanced Civilization theme and Airship Chase are all there in their original version (Akihiro Hino wanted the most recognizable theme’s from every game for the stage)
  • Professor Layton is a pretty fast and tricky character. His mechanic is, that in Smash attcks, Tilts and Aerial attacks, his weapon change depending on if you pressed the special button or not
  • He changes between a sabre (don’t press the special button), a sword (tap the special button) or a pipe (hold down the special button).
  • The Sabre is fast and has barely any ending lag, but at the cost of little damage and knockback
  • The Sword deal medium damage and knockback. It also had more range in comparison to the other weapons
  • The pipe deals an high amount of damage and knockback, but it has a smaller hitbox and bigger ending lag. It does dunk opponents in 3 of his aerials though.
  • For his Smash Attacks, all weapons and direction inputs have the same start up animation. It makes the moves harder to read, but they start up slower
  • The slow start up count for his aerials and tilts as well.
  • This mechanic actually bothers the balancing team a little
  • His neutral special makes use of his slot machine gun, his side special is a toy robot that Layton winds up and deals more knockback the longer he winds it up, his up special is the umbrella from Eternal Songstress and his Down Special is Deduction (it shocks opponents when they hit him, much like a counter).
  • For his Final Smash, he calls upon the golems of the sanctuary. They fly around and fly into opponents or attack them with their lasers.
  • sIf Kirby copies Professor Layton, he'll get puppet eyes and the Professor's trademark top hat
https://www.reddit.com/r/leakthreads/comments/aa5wg8/smash_ultimate_dlc_3rd_parties/
It's nice to know someone found Layton worthy enough to include into their rumours since he doesn't tend to get too many of those.
It's more than likely fake as there is a bit too much information (Not to mention I'm not sure if the place it comes from is at all trustworthy), especially so early on, though I do like some of the idea's suggested such as a Molentary Express stage with cameo's of popular Layton characters silhouettes behind the windows.

Please don't give Layton a counter though.....

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
It's great to see the Layton anime doing so well. If anything, It's a nice reassurance that the Layton series is still very popular in Japan.

It's nice to see more folk's coming in to lend their support for Layton, I've added you all to the supporters list!

Also apparently a new "leak" has come along yesterday that states that Layton is the second character being worked on after Joker. It's more than likely fake but well, if you're interested.

It's nice to know someone found Layton worthy enough to include into their leaks since he doesn't tend to get too many of those.
Again, It's more than likely fake though I do like some of the idea's suggested such as a Molentary Express stage with cameo's of popular Layton characters silhouettes behind the windows.

That sounds way to too specific to be an actual leak, but it does feel nice to see someone at least give Layton the light of day even for a leak. The silhouette cameo idea sounds great, but that stage sounds abhorrent to play on with a stage boss and random blackouts.

I don't think the idea of Layton having a counter is completely terrible, but it would need something special to make it stand out, similar to how Incenaroar has a counter but it has an alternate purpose than just damage.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That sounds way to too specific to be an actual leak, but it does feel nice to see someone at least give Layton the light of day even for a leak. The silhouette cameo idea sounds great, but that stage sounds abhorrent to play on with a stage boss and random blackouts.

I don't think the idea of Layton having a counter is completely terrible, but it would need something special to make it stand out, similar to how Incenaroar has a counter but it has an alternate purpose than just damage.
Yeah, that's why I'm a bit too skeptical of it too, there is a bit too much information given, which is often a red flag when it comes to these kind of leaks. Unless its from some early design drafts, in which case, why would the leaker have access to those?

According to his reply in one of the comments below, he's apparently assigned to work on the third party DLC characters.
Development started on rigging the animations for the characters, and I've been assigned to work on 3rd party characters, since they have rougher notes that not only come from Sakurai, but this time also from Nintendo and Atlus / Level-5.

This does mean that there's a different team working on first party characters
So according to him, Joker and Layton are probably the only third parties in the fighters pass and that the other three characters are probably first party since he's been assigned to work on the third parties.

Yeah seems like way too much information, plus easy enough to get yourself caught by Nintendo and getting yourself into trouble. I'd say It's more than likely fake too.

In regards to the stage, I'm assuming it would work something like the Pirate Ship and Spirit Train stage where occasionally a certain event might happen, but nothing where a bunch of stuff happens at the same time. If Don Paolo attacks, I don't think they will have you go through a tunnel and block your vision while he's present (Unless they'd like to throw a little slapstick into it and have Paul crash into the wall as you enter the tunnel). It's a good thing that they added a stage hazard toggle for this game so even if they where to do something like that, it can at least be turned off.

I don't have that much of an issue with counters, though I do feel that their starting to get a little overdone, if they do something like Incineroar and Bayonetta where a unique twist gets added along then I guess I can live with it. Though preferably, I'd like to see Layton be given something else for a down special.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Also apparently a new "leak" has come along yesterday that states that Layton is the second character being worked on after Joker. It's more than likely fake but oh well, if you're interested.

It's nice to know someone found Layton worthy enough to include into their leaks since he doesn't tend to get too many of those.
It's more than likely fake as there is a bit too much information (Not to mention I'm not sure if the place it comes from is at all trustworthy), especially so early on, though I do like some of the idea's suggested such as a Molentary Express stage with cameo's of popular Layton characters silhouettes behind the windows.

Won’t get my hopes up, but that’s great. Although man, they really need to come up with a different move that isn’t Counter.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Won’t get my hopes up, but that’s great. Although man, they really need to come up with a different move that isn’t Counter.
I'm more concerned about whether they can give him jumping abilities. An old article that was brought up on the B-K thread explains the importance of capturing the general feel of a particular game character.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/07/11/gdc-2008-translation/

In Layton's case, the only action he sees is generally in cut scenes. Unlike many cases, it's almost certain they'll have to get creative with him in some areas.

Although it would be funny if the counter involved the victim being forced to solve a quick puzzle before time runs out and they get hurt.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

Well well, it's not enough you see Professor Layton being the center of talk in supposed leaks.

I like the ideas presented here, like the idea of Layton being the main "DS rep" of the roster and the music choices (a medley of Azran Legacy sounds pretty cool because that could potentially incorporate unreleased tracks like the music from the cutscenes when the Azran Sanctuary first arises and when it falls). Molentary Express is a neat stage possibility, and Don Paolo as a Stage Boss sounds fitting. I wish Descole was the Stage Boss though, but that's mainly because he's the villain I like more, and I acknowledge that having Descole as a stage boss would mean they'd have to go with a different stage entirely (probably Misthallery because that location aligns to what Descole did and could do as a stage boss), but hey, maybe Descole will be a normal boss that Layton could encounter at the end of his Classic mode. That'd be pretty cool!

But I have to agree with King Sonnn DeDeDoo that this leak is very detailed, and that's the biggest detractor that could make this leak false, so I don't want to completely fall for it Still, it does have some nice information.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
How would the dude be able to know gameplay information, knowing combos and follow-ups, when development for the character likely hasn't started yet.

I bet Sakurai is busy with just developing Joker and Piranha Plant.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
How would the dude be able to know gameplay information, knowing combos and follow-ups, when development for the character likely hasn't started yet.

Exactly. I don't know why people have so readily believed Erdrick is coming despite detailed info like this. Just because he's from a big IP.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm more concerned about whether they can give him jumping abilities. An old article that was brought up on the B-K thread explains the importance of capturing the general feel of a particular game character.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/07/11/gdc-2008-translation/

In Layton's case, the only action he sees is generally in cut scenes. Unlike many cases, it's almost certain they'll have to get creative with him in some areas.

Although it would be funny if the counter involved the victim being forced to solve a quick puzzle before time runs out and they get hurt.
What do you mean with jumping abilities? Layton's been shown to be pretty athletic on numerous occasions so he should be just fine in that regard. Eitherway though, I wouldn't worry too much about that as Sakurai has worked with characters with more limiting abilities than Layton before. Heck he's currently working on one as we speak. :ultpiranha:

Well well, it's not enough you see Professor Layton being the center of talk in supposed leaks.

I like the ideas presented here, like the idea of Layton being the main "DS rep" of the roster and the music choices (a medley of Azran Legacy sounds pretty cool because that could potentially incorporate unreleased tracks like the music from the cutscenes when the Azran Sanctuary first arises and when it falls). Molentary Express is a neat stage possibility, and Don Paolo as a Stage Boss sounds fitting. I wish Descole was the Stage Boss though, but that's mainly because he's the villain I like more, and I acknowledge that having Descole as a stage boss would mean they'd have to go with a different stage entirely (probably Misthallery because that location aligns to what Descole did and could do as a stage boss), but hey, maybe Descole will be a normal boss that Layton could encounter at the end of his Classic mode. That'd be pretty cool!

But I have to agree with King Sonnn DeDeDoo that this leak is very detailed, and that's the biggest detractor that could make this leak false, so I don't want to completely fall for it Still, it does have some nice information.
I'd imagine DLC characters would be given a place on WoL so they can be unlocked there too. They could just put them there or maybe even give them a special map where they and their series spirits can be unlocked like with Diddy Kong and Ryu. I don't know how likely it is that they will get their own boss but I'd imagine Descole and his machine from Last Specter would be perfect for a boss fight. You might be able to disassemble it by attacking it until it fully breaks down, following it up with you having to battle Descole himself (maybe) would make for a pretty good bossfight.

Wait, where did he mention combos and follow ups? I thought he was only describing his mechanics. If so then It's definitely fake since I highly doubt Layton would be in a playable state at this current point in time to know things like that.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What do you mean with jumping abilities? Layton's been shown to be pretty athletic on numerous occasions so he should be just fine in that regard. Eitherway though, I wouldn't worry too much about that as Sakurai has worked with character with more limiting abilities than Layton before. Heck he's currently working on one as we speak. :ultpiranha:

I'd imagine DLC character would be given a place on WoL so they can be unlocked there too. They could just put them there or maybe even give them a special map where they can be unlocked like with Diddy Kong and Ryu. I don't know how likely it is that they will get their own boss but I'd imagine Descole and his machine from Last Specter would be perfect for a boss fight. You might be able to disassemble it by attacking it until it fully breaks down, following it up with you having to battle Descole himself (maybe) would make for a pretty good bossfight.
Well on the third translated page in the article, there's a comparison between Mario's heavier jumps and Samus' more floaty ones. You are right otherwise though.

That said, whether the DLC characters get in WOL is among the biggest puzzles right now. The only precedence that's close enough to this is TL, Wolf and Jigglypuff in Brawl (whom had no role in the story due to being in on short notice, dev-wise), and even then that game never had any downloadable characters, and SSE is an entirely different beast. Whether they have enough cash flow to help with DLC resources for something like this is what I have a hard time seeing.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Let me believe dammit.

Top Bottom