• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah, they've already got Sonic items coming as preorder bonuses, so I wouldn't be shocked to see Sonic himself getting in as a "Hey, western fans, recall when you liked this game with Sonic? It has Sonic again!" pitch (maybe a TGA announcement for max western viewership?). The Japanese mobile game has also done a lot of SEGA collabs, so they have art already ready if they wanted to do it....

Layton or Lip would be amazing though. It'd be fun to have a "You put a puzzle game in my puzzle game mixed with my puzzle game" moment...
That sounds neat, would be interesting to see Layton, Arle, Lip and perhaps Dr. Mario in some Tetris crossover one day, probably highly unlikely due to it probably all being one big licencing nightmare, but would be fun to see a puzzle crossover like that happen one day..

hey man, don’t come at me with your solid logic, I was trying to bait you 🙄

anyway, I feel Layton and Phoenix get in each others way more than Hero and Byleth or Terry and Min-Min, because the genres that they represent are much less conducive to a fighting game like smash.

there’s little doubt that both Phoenix and Layton would have unconventional, task based movesets (think Isabelle). I just find it unlikely that they’d put two unconventional detective-esque characters with a history together in the same pass. That means bitter rivals they are!

But you definitely have a point by saying Dante, Monster Hunter, Amaterasu, or Leon Kennedy stand as a bigger threat to Phoenix’s inclusion.
Yeah I pretty much figured you where baiting due to the way you structured your posts, hence why I talked in a more general sense in regards to these two characters over addressing you specifically. I believe we've spoken before, at least your username sounds familiar...

Eitherway, if that's how you feel then fair enough. I personally feel that both characters have enough potential and flavour of their own to set them apart from each other. But I guess at the end of the day, it will mostly fall on Nintendo and Sakurai's own visions and wether or not they choose to include both characters in the end.

All in all, I'd probably suggest to focus more on making Phoenix stand out more from his fellow Capcom colleagues over an unrelated character owned by a different company (Not like Layton doesn't have his hands full with Yo-Kai Watch and maybe Ni No Kuni as well on his side either, assuming Level-5 where to get a character...)

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
That sounds neat, would be interesting to see Layton, Arle, Lip and perhaps Dr. Mario in some Tetris crossover one day, probably highly unlikely due to it probably all being one big licencing nightmare, but would be fun to see a puzzle crossover like that happen one day..
I cannot imagine it'd be easy to license, but it'd be great to have... The puzzle crossover of Smash Bros.

Toss in Kirby (Kirby's Avalanche), Wario (Wario's Woods), Mallo (Pushmo), Chell (Portal), Ryu (Puzzle Fighter), Bubblin (Puzzle Bobble), Vincent (Catherine), and... uh... You know, screw it, just put Dr. Kawashima in himself! Lots of potential...

if i start drawing jibanyan in layton's hat
What about a Chocobonyan in Layton's hat...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I cannot imagine it'd be easy to license, but it'd be great to have... The puzzle crossover of Smash Bros.

Toss in Kirby (Kirby's Avalanche), Wario (Wario's Woods), Mallo (Pushmo), Chell (Portal), Ryu (Puzzle Fighter), Bubblin (Puzzle Bobble), Vincent (Catherine), and... uh... You know, screw it, just put Dr. Kawashima in himself! Lots of potential...
Sounds like quite the line up, not sure what kind of game would involve them all together, unless they do like Clubhouse Games featuring these puzzle mascots together, with their own puzzle gameplays included.

Might make for a pretty fun crossover, plus you'd be able to include iconic board games like chess too. Maybe have them themed around these characters and franchises too.

A licencing nightmare for sure, but pretty cool to see one day...

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, if Layton did make it into Smash, would Luke's VA be his main one or Lani Minella?

amageish

Smash Master
Sounds like quite the line up, not sure what kind of game would involve them all together, unless they do like Clubhouse Games featuring these puzzle mascots together, with their own puzzle gameplays included.

Might make for a pretty fun crossover, plus you'd be able to include iconic board games like chess too. Maybe have them themed around these characters and franchises too.

A licencing nightmare for sure, but pretty cool to see one day...
I mean, a Puzzle collection with some graphical overlays would be fantastic (ex/ stuff like the Tetris 99 skins, but for other puzzle franchises)... That would definitely save people money and be effective for puzzle-based eSports leagues...

But, yes, probably too good to be true... Oh well...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

i think youll find toad is the star of wario's woods

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So, if Layton did make it into Smash, would Luke's VA be his main one or Lani Minella?
I'd imagine they'd use both for their respective regions, much like Wii Fit Trainer and a few other characters.
As GoodGrief said, their both iconic for their respective territory so I don't see any reason to leave one or the other out.

Lani Minella especially shouldn't be quite difficult to get a hold of since she voices a ton of videogame characters, a number of them already being in Smash too, including a few other Layton characters like Flora and Emmy. Maria Darling may or may not be a bit more difficult to get a hold of but I'd imagine she should be fine too at the end of the day.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hmm...I wonder if Kirby's copy ability would copy his mechanics kinda like how he copies Steve. I know Kirby would only just wear a top hat like Layton's at least

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hmm...I wonder if Kirby's copy ability would copy his mechanics kinda like how he copies Steve. I know Kirby would only just wear a top hat like Layton's at least
Depends what his machanic will be, and if it applies to his neutral special.

I'd imagine he'd use the Slot Machine Gun for his neutral special though, not sure if that would include whatever special mechanic Layton would come along with for Kirby though...

MattX20

Smash Hero
Depends what his machanic will be, and if it applies to his neutral special.

I'd imagine he'd use the Slot Machine Gun for his neutral special though, not sure if that would include whatever special mechanic Layton would come along with for Kirby though...
i hope not, seems there are far better options
I mean, Layton's famous for his logic/puzzle solving skills so it could be his main gimmick

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well alternatively... What kind of archetype could you imagine Layton specializing in?

I suppose one archetype they could maybe do for him is a character that is good at dealing status ailments like sleep, confusion, the flower effect etc making him a pretty handy fighter for team battle matches like Inkling and all.

I don't think we really have a character that focuses a lot on that unless you count the likes of Hero or Olimar I suppose..

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well alternatively... What kind of archetype could you imagine Layton specializing in?

I suppose one archetype they could maybe do for him is a character that is good at dealing status ailments like sleep, confusion, the flower effect etc making him a pretty handy fighter for team battle matches like Inkling and all.

I don't think we really have a character that focuses a lot on that unless you count the likes of Hero or Olimar I suppose..
He could be good at using puzzles to deliver those effects you've mentioned, but he could also use a similar mechanic to Phoenix's moveset in UMVC3 with a focus on investigating crimes and using puzzles/logic to take down the opponents and mix it in with his fencing skills and the slot machine gun

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Yo I'm dropping by to show you this BEAUTIFUL art of Layton I commissioned to my best friend ^^
(btw the figure at the top is Q from Street Fighter for those who don't know, he's one of my friend's favorite characters......this technically counts as a crossover then right? xD)

MattX20

Smash Hero

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yo I'm dropping by to show you this BEAUTIFUL art of Layton I commissioned to my best friend ^^
(btw the figure at the top is Q from Street Fighter for those who don't know, he's one of my friend's favorite characters......this technically counts as a crossover then right? xD)
Surely, your friend has fine taste in characters.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
wow thats better than the commissions i get from my best friend

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So here’s a really random question I’ve decided to ask: what’s the oddest piece of Layton merch you have?

for me it’s my hint coin keyring

Top Bottom