• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

amageish

Smash Master
So here's an interview in regards to what Level-5's currently up to.

I guess their currently prioritizing this Manga-5 site they opened up recently, not sure what this may mean in the grand scheme of things, but hopefully it will help them gain a bit more revenue to stay afloat or something...
Well... You can't say they don't have big multimedia goals...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well... You can't say they don't have big multimedia goals...
Well, so long as their not turning every new manga IP they come up with there into a multimedia franchise and just leave it as a manga thing, then this manga site thing probably wouldn't hurt, hopefully...

Though looking through it, I wouldn't mind them doing a Layton manga spin off for it one day. I mean, they apparently have an Inazuma Eleven one over there...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Well, what was the last Layton game you've played recently? The last game I've played was Layton's Mystery Journey on the Switch
Same as you... I did get Curious Village's IOS port as well, but haven't done that for the other ports yet...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, what was the last Layton game you've played recently? The last game I've played was Layton's Mystery Journey on the Switch
Lost Future HD pretty much.
Before that was Pandora's Box HD and Layton's Mystery Journey Switch last year.

Also forgot to mention, Level-5 celebrated their 22nd anniversary late last month.
Something something here's to them being around for many years to come.. or to at least see their 25th...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Also forgot to mention, Level-5 celebrated their 22nd anniversary late last month.

Something something here's to them being around for many years to come.. or to at least see their 25th...
anyone know whos that below oliver, to the left of jibanyan and the left of snack world?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
well youve got a better idea than i do
I'm not too well versed in the game myself, but its the one notable Level-5 title missing from this otherwise.

Unless you count Mighty Number 9, but that one being missing is a bit more... understandable...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
anyone know whos that below oliver, to the left of jibanyan and the left of snack world?
It's the Napdragon from Fantasy Life! It's a dragon you encounter towards the start of the game, but it spawns napping so it's not aggressive unless you decide to attack it (which I wouldn't advise doing in the early game because... it's a dragon).

Now, as for why they chose to represent Fantasy Life with a dragon enemy over, say, the Navi equivalent Flutter (or Yuelia)... Uh... I don't know. I guess it makes for visual contrast with a casual dragon?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's the Napdragon from Fantasy Life! It's a dragon you encounter towards the start of the game, but it spawns napping so it's not aggressive unless you decide to attack it (which I wouldn't advise doing in the early game because... it's a dragon).

Now, as for why they chose to represent Fantasy Life with a dragon enemy over, say, the Navi equivalent Flutter (or Yuelia)... Uh... I don't know. I guess it makes for visual contrast with a casual dragon?
ok thanks

MattX20

Smash Hero

The company's been around for 22 years now? Interesting

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Speaking of anime, the Layton anime finished earlier this year didn't it? It's surprising the anime wasn't licensed for the West like the Ace Attorney series was
Tbh, the anime didnt start getting good until Layton and Luke actually showed up
Then at the end Alfendi, Laytons son made an appearance. Thats the most positive thing I could say tbh

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Speaking of anime, the Layton anime finished earlier this year didn't it? It's surprising the anime wasn't licensed for the West like the Ace Attorney series was
I think it has gotten a German localization if I recall correctly, don't know where else in Europe it received one if any.

A bit of a shame it went down the same path as the Layton manga did though...

I think Level-5 might have been more willing to take more chances if it was Hershel on the leading role over his quite less beloved daughter..
At least he got like 5 episodes dedicated to him I suppose, I wonder how those did ratings wise compared to the rest of the show...

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I think it has gotten a German localization if I recall correctly, don't know where else in Europe it received one if any.

A bit of a shame it went down the same path as the Layton manga did though...

I think Level-5 might have been more willing to take more chances if it was Hershel on the leading role over his quite less beloved daughter..
At least he got like 5 episodes dedicated to him I suppose, I wonder how those did ratings wise compared to the rest of the show...
Hmm...I see

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Welp, if the whole Smash DLC thing doesn't work out for us, then I guess we can always hope for Layton to make a guest appearance into Puyo Puyo, right laddies? :4pacman:

In all seriousness, would be neat to see the Layton series crossover with another puzzler like Puyo Puyo one day, I think Katrielle and Arle meeting up would be quite fun to see...

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Welp, if the whole Smash DLC thing doesn't work out for us, then I guess we can always hope for Layton to make a guest appearance into Puyo Puyo, right laddies? :4pacman:

In all seriousness, would be neat to see the Layton series crossover with another puzzler like Puyo Puyo one day, I think Katrielle and Arle meeting up would be quite fun to see...
That would be an interesting crossover for sure

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Ngl, that would make me buy puyo puyo

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
> Its another Layton vs Phoenix episode.
I mean, Layton should really be the least of Phoenix's concerns when he has bigger fish to deal with that is his fellow Capcom buddies like Dante and Monster Hunter etc that may out prioritize him.

Layton is owned by a completely different company and its not like the appearance of Joker stopped us from receiving two more RPG guys in the same fighters pass. :ulthero3::ultbyleth: Or even two fighting game characters relatively close to each other. :ultminmin:ult_terry:

Not to mention the fact that Layton and Phoenix don't even really share the same genre to begin with, what with the former being a puzzle adventure series and the other being a visual novel adventure series..

Never understood why there is this seemingly bad blood between the two just because they had a crossover game once but oh well... :drshrug:

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I mean, Layton should really be the least of Phoenix's concerns when he has bigger fish to deal with that is his fellow Capcom buddies like Dante and Monster Hunter etc that may out prioritize him.

Layton is owned by a completely different company and its not like the appearance of Joker stopped us from receiving two more RPG guys in the same fighters pass. :ulthero3::ultbyleth: Or even two fighting game characters relatively close to each other. :ultminmin:ult_terry:

Not to mention the fact that Layton and Phoenix don't even really share the same genre to begin with, what with the former being a puzzle adventure series and the other being a visual novel adventure series..

Never understood why there is this seemingly bad blood between the two just because they had a crossover game once but oh well... :drshrug:
I liked both characters, so there's no real reason to have a rivalry

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I liked both characters, so there's no real reason to have a rivalry
Same here, I'd be more than happy to see Phoenix make it into Smash, even if Layton ends up missing the boat, since he's another favourite character of mine.

I personally don't see any reason for these two to have a rivalry, especially if it ends up being completely pointless in the end... :ultbanjokazooie::ultsteve:

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master

Hey, I can use this meme I made a second time!

puyosmash.png

I am unironically thinking we may get some crossover characters, though I am expecting they'd be crossovers within SEGA... Layton in the Puyo artystyle does sound super cute though...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hey, I can use this meme I made a second time!

View attachment 292006
I am unironically thinking we may get some crossover characters, though I am expecting they'd be crossovers within SEGA... Layton in the Puyo artystyle does sound super cute though...
Yeah if there are any crossovers, it will most likely be within Sega's own quarters like Sonic and all.

But yeah, it would be pretty cool to see the likes of Layton or Lip from Panel de Pon make a guest appearance though, as highly unlikely as that may be...

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah if there are any crossovers, it will most likely be within Sega's own quarters like Sonic and all.

But yeah, it would be pretty cool to see the likes of Layton or Lip from Panel de Pon make a guest appearance though, as highly unlikely as that may be...
Yeah, they've already got Sonic items coming as preorder bonuses, so I wouldn't be shocked to see Sonic himself getting in as a "Hey, western fans, recall when you liked this game with Sonic? It has Sonic again!" pitch (maybe a TGA announcement for max western viewership?). The Japanese mobile game has also done a lot of SEGA collabs, so they have art already ready if they wanted to do it....

Layton or Lip would be amazing though. It'd be fun to have a "You put a puzzle game in my puzzle game mixed with my puzzle game" moment...

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
hey man, don’t come at me with your solid logic, I was trying to bait you 🙄

anyway, I feel Layton and Phoenix get in each others way more than Hero and Byleth or Terry and Min-Min, because the genres that they represent are much less conducive to a fighting game like smash.

there’s little doubt that both Phoenix and Layton would have unconventional, task based movesets (think Isabelle). I just find it unlikely that they’d put two unconventional detective-esque characters with a history together in the same pass. That means bitter rivals they are!

But you definitely have a point by saying Dante, Monster Hunter, Amaterasu, or Leon Kennedy stand as a bigger threat to Phoenix’s inclusion.

Top Bottom