• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think Level-5 might be trying to adhere to Miyamoto's dev time philosophy, as well.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...good_devs_are_given_as_much_time_as_they_need
I suppose Hino also adhered to Miyamoto's "A delayed game is eventually good, a rushed game is bad forever" philosophy.
At least considering the current state of Inazuma Eleven and what he's been saying in his dev blogs and all.

That's good, the man is learning.

I suppose Level-5 might also be a tad new to HD development. They have spend most of their time on handheld and mobile gaming after all...

All in all, I suppose its good their not rushing things, hopefully we'll hear what else they got in store in due time..

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I suppose Hino also adhered to Miyamoto's "A delayed game is eventually good, a rushed game is bad forever" philosophy.
quite ironic considering ultimate was a bit of a rush and had become the most successful fighting game to date

and wasnt there also a game that was in development for years that everyone hated?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
quite ironic considering ultimate was a bit of a rush and had become the most successful fighting game to date

and wasnt there also a game that was in development for years that everyone hated?
I mean, if you want to go down the nitty gritty, I suppose you could also put in games like Majora's Mask and Melee that also had a very quick and short dev cycle's but turned out fine.

Well, as "fine" as it can get anyway...

43a.gif
I suppose there are exceptions for everything and how deep in development hell game studio's are...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean, if you want to go down the nitty gritty, I suppose you could also put in games like Majora's Mask and Melee that also had a very quick and short dev cycle's but turned out fine.

Well, as "fine" as it can get anyway...

View attachment 269229
I suppose there are exceptions for everything and how deep in development hell game studio's are...
oh yes, MM only took a year, and thats one of the ones the fans have on a pedestal

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Right, I ordered a 3DS and the Micro SD Card I ordered as well came today. It didn't come with an adapter though, so I had to order one of those too.
I'll feel like an absolute **** if Level 5 put out a Professor Layton HD collection for the Switch, which I suspect is going to happen down the line somewhere. What other 3DS games does everyone here recommend? Besides the Layton games I've already marked down
-Ace Attorney games
-Xenoblade
-Smash Bros
-Zelda games
-Animal Crossing
-Fire Emblem
-The Layton/Wright crossover game

I don't care much for the mainline Mario games or Pokemon

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Right, I ordered a 3DS and the Micro SD Card I ordered as well came today. It didn't come with an adapter though, so I had to order one of those too.
I'll feel like an absolute **** if Level 5 put out a Professor Layton HD collection for the Switch, which I suspect is going to happen down the line somewhere. What other 3DS games does everyone here recommend? Besides the Layton games I've already marked down
-Ace Attorney games
-Xenoblade
-Smash Bros
-Zelda games
-Animal Crossing
-Fire Emblem

Well Kid Icarus Uprising is pretty fun if you don't mind the controls...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
-Ace Attorney games
-Xenoblade
-Smash Bros
-Zelda games
-Animal Crossing
-Fire Emblem

oh id suggest the obvious things like pokemon, of course if you like rpgs the two bravely defaults are well worth a look.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
-Ace Attorney games
-Xenoblade
-Smash Bros
-Zelda games
-Animal Crossing
-Fire Emblem

If you like Layton/Level-5 games (and Animal Crossing, which I see you got on that list) you can't go wrong with Fantasy Life. It's a life-sim game with RPG elements with a main story, but I don't think my description's doing it justice. A top-notch game imo.

If you like visual novels, you might want to give the Zero Escape series a go. They're amongst the best I've played. The first one is on DS so that might be an issue.

Aside from that, Metroid: Samus Returns and Kingdom Hearts 3D are 3DS titles I thought were great. Though with Kingdom Hearts if you're a fan you've probably played it, and if you aren't there might be no sense in diving into it so late in the story (unless you really like Disney).

I'll also add my voice to the recommendations for the Bravely games and Kid Icarus. KI:U is one of the best games on the 3DS, awkward controls and all.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
-Ace Attorney games
-Xenoblade
-Smash Bros
-Zelda games
-Animal Crossing
-Fire Emblem

Really depends on your taste haha.

If you like Layton and rhythm games, then Rhythm Thief is a pretty solid Layton-esque game with rhythm minigames instead of puzzles.

If you're into pen-and-paper RPGs, then the Etrian Odyssey series is a strong recommend. It's a dungeon-crawller focused on map-drawing where you make custom characters and are supposed to make up your own stories to some extent. Etrian Odyssey Untold provides the same gameplay with a proper story containing defined characters for a more traditional JRPG experience. Persona Q provides the same gameplay with persona characters.

In terms of Fire Emblem, I'd highly reccomend Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. I feel like it often gets overlooked in comparison to the other titles, but it's a great game and is the first fully-voice-acted FE game.

I'll also double-down on GoodGrief's recommendation of Fantasy Life. It's worth it for the terrible puns alone.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Nice to know the Layton series Twitter page is still posting despite current events...

Also Level-5 has released some HD backgrounds for the Layton series as well as their other IP's.
Something about them being used for Teleworking and web conferences. Not sure what that is all about, but feel free to use them if you want.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Also Level-5 has released some HD backgrounds for the Layton series as well as their other IP's.
Something about them being used for Teleworking and web conferences. Not sure what that is all about, but feel free to use them if you want.
Oooo! They make for very pretty art, if nothing else. I feel like most of the geeky Zoom (and other similar software) backgrounds companies have been putting out are a bit too geeky for most practical uses though. I do not want to have to explain what the giant steampunk-ish clock behind me is in a professional setting haha.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oooo! They make for very pretty art, if nothing else. I feel like most of the geeky Zoom (and other similar software) backgrounds companies have been putting out are a bit too geeky for most practical uses though. I do not want to have to explain what the giant steampunk-ish clock behind me is in a professional setting haha.
Hopefully that giant steampunk clock potentially hints towards us finally seeing Lost Future HD soon, maybe... It's nice to have that here though. I think that's the first time seeing it at the resolution the artist intended
Likewise for Layton's office, which I believe is the version from the prequels if I'm not mistaken.

But yeah, you can use it as a wallpaper for your pc or phones if you like.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Care to explain what that is?

This. It's goes along with a theory that some of the DLC is using coding from other characters. Like with that Duck Hunt and Mii Swordsman Glitch, Banjo probably uses some of Duck Hunt's Coding (Despite apparently being based of Ridley) due to both sharing a Bird Compainion,and Mii Swordsman being used for Hero because Mii's have extra specials coding into them, which is probably used for Hero's Special

Layton has similar Void like Eyes like Ness has, and also apparently he has this gadget that functions similar to PK Thunder. I Don't know because I'm Kinda Indifferent to Layton (Though I Like his Top Hat), but it's just something and could be evidence in your guy's favor

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
This. It's goes along with a theory that some of the DLC is using coding from other characters. Like with that Duck Hunt and Mii Swordsman Glitch, Banjo probably uses some of Duck Hunt's Coding (Despite apparently being based of Ridley) due to both sharing a Bird Compainion,and Mii Swordsman being used for Hero because Mii's have extra specials coding into them, which is probably used for Hero's Special

Layton has similar Void like Eyes like Ness has, and also apparently he has this gadget that functions similar to PK Thunder. I Don't know because I'm Kinda Indifferent to Layton (Though I Like his Top Hat), but it's just something and could be evidence in your guy's favor
I did bring it up briefly at the Newcomer/DLC discussion thread as a food for thought but I wasn't sure if it was something worth looking too deeply into as the whole thing is a bit finicky with no one being entirely sure which characters were based on who outside of theories and rumours. (Though then again, I suppose that's what speculation is all about)

It would be nice if it did lead to something though, I suppose I could see them using Ness as a base for Layton due to both having eyes that are mainly just a simple texture (So no need for rotations of pupils/eyeballs etc) and one of the gadgets working off PK thunder to speed up dev time.

I'd imagine Layton would probably also be modelled by the same guy that modelled characters like Ness and Lucas due to their more simplistic looking design's.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I did bring it up briefly at the Newcomer/DLC discussion thread as a food for thought but I wasn't sure if it was something worth looking too deeply into as the whole thing is a bit finicky with no one being entirely sure which characters were based on who outside of theories and rumours. (Though then again, I suppose that's what speculation is all about)

It would be nice if it did lead to something though, I suppose I could see them using Ness as a base for Layton due to both having eyes that are mainly just a simple texture (So no need for rotations of pupils/eyeballs etc) and one of the gadgets working off PK thunder to speed up dev time.

I'd imagine Layton would probably also be modelled by the same guy that modelled characters like Ness and Lucas due to their more simplistic looking design's.
It was actually your post which made me start to put things together by the way. I'm just putting it here cause it might be something more serious to look into, concerning your character. Along with that, someone i knew back then was telling me about Yo-Kai Watch content coming to Smash, and he managed to predict Rabbids Mii costumes coming along. Granted it was just a mii costume but still. considering yokai watch is level-5 like Layton it was making me think

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I’m surprised there is no Level-5 representation of any kind in Ultimate, considering how many Japanese companies are involved.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It was actually your post which made me start to put things together by the way. I'm just putting it here cause it might be something more serious to look into, concerning your character. Along with that, someone i knew back then was telling me about Yo-Kai Watch content coming to Smash, and he managed to predict Rabbids Mii costumes coming along. Granted it was just a mii costume but still. considering yokai watch is level-5 like Layton it was making me think
That sounds interesting.
I suppose it might be something worth keeping an eye on at least (No pun intended).

I’m surprised there is no Level-5 representation of any kind in Ultimate, considering how many Japanese companies are involved.
I'd imagine we'd at least be seeing a spirit event from Level-5 sooner or later, so I guess only time will tell when we'll be seeing anything from them, if any...

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
God damn this virus is annoying, my 3DS probably won't be here till Monday at the earliest now :(
Oh well, live and learn, how's the Layton general holding up with this pandemic?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
God damn this virus is annoying, my 3DS probably won't be here till Monday at the earliest now :(
Oh well, live and learn, how's the Layton general holding up with this pandemic?
I get by I suppose, I've kind of been catching up with the DS library again and doing some game modding, asides from that, nothing worth mentioning I guess.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Hm. That is an interesting glitch, though the notion of a character having their eyes directly imported onto another character is... very body horror. I guess we'll see if anyone ends up using electricity moves.

Sorry to hear that! I'm doing alright... A lot of hiding indoors and attempting to keep track of what day it is, really.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
No too much on my end, mainly cooking, doing yardwork, giving online tutorials, running pokemon tabletop on Roll20, and playing Animal Crossing.

Oh also, I don't if i already posted this before, but PitTan is a videogame music yt channel that often does Layton music

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hm. That is an interesting glitch, though the notion of a character having their eyes directly imported onto another character is... very body horror. I guess we'll see if anyone ends up using electricity moves.
Its not so much that they are importing as much as them recycling existing assets to speed up dev time I think.
Ness's armature probably has enough info to carry over for Layton and taking things from there, rather than starting completely from scratch.

One nice little idea I always thought would be fun to take from the Mother boy's was to have Layton's party members showing up next to him on his final Smash as well. Although it depends on if it would be a real time or cinematic Final Smash I suppose. Otherwise, they can do like the likes of MegaMan and Shulk instead.

Oh also, I don't if i already posted this before, but PitTan is a videogame music yt channel that often does Layton music
Oh, I believe I heard one of their songs before, their definitely very good at replicating Layton songs. Worth a listen for sure!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
im ok a little tense, but animal crossing helps take my mind off it, how are you doing?

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
im ok a little tense, but animal crossing helps take my mind off it, how are you doing?
Honestly just keeping within indoors, I went to the local Lidl today and that was probably the first time I left my house in 3 days besides walking outside around in the yard. The town where I live in is apparently livid with the virus so I don't want to stick my head out further then I need to.
I was thinking of buying a Nintendo Switch too and trying out Animal Crossing but the prices are all over the place right now and I'm thinking of putting it instead towards a gaming PC

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Honestly just keeping within indoors, I went to the local Lidl today and that was probably the first time I left my house in 3 days besides walking outside around in the yard. The town where I live in is apparently livid with the virus so I don't want to stick my head out further then I need to.
I was thinking of buying a Nintendo Switch too and trying out Animal Crossing but the prices are all over the place right now and I'm thinking of putting it instead towards a gaming PC
Yeah people are pretty restless these days. I live in a pretty quiet area and even then things are busier than usual.

Quite ironic considering the pleas for people to stay at home but it is how it is I guess..
Just take good care of yourself and your loved ones in these trying times...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
sounds terrible, where abouts do you live?

amageish

Smash Master
Its not so much that they are importing as much as them recycling existing assets to speed up dev time I think.
Ness's armature probably has enough info to carry over for Layton and taking things from there, rather than starting completely from scratch.

One nice little idea I always thought would be fun to take from the Mother boy's was to have Layton's party members showing up next to him on his final Smash as well. Although it depends on if it would be a real time or cinematic Final Smash I suppose. Otherwise, they can do like the likes of MegaMan and Shulk instead.
Yes, that does make some sense. It's just kind of spooky to think that Ness's eyes are vanishing via glitch because they are meant to be the eyes of someone else...

I'd be very down for a cameo-ridden final smash, regardless of how they do it. The cinematic Final Smash train has gone on for 5 DLC characters in a row though and I wouldn't be too shocked if Layton had something like Wright's Ultimate in UMvC3.

Ouch. Well, stay safe!!!

The Switch supply shortage is unsurprising, but also pretty unfortunate... The degree of scalping some people are doing/trying-to-do is gross...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Pretty well all things considered, living the hardcore quarantine lifestyle, playing Ring Fit Adventure and The Great Ace Attorney. The days go by very quickly and not fast enough at the same time.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So DearestHershel (The guy behind his Layton themed game remixes, memes and theories) has recently decided to datamine Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask.

You can see some of the magic Level-5 used for the 3DS Layton games over at his Tumblr page. Definitely worth checking out.

This kind of stuff is a lot more noticeable in the Switch version of LMJ Deluxe but still interesting to see nonetheless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom