• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I suppose Layton's best option would be a reveal on a Nintendo Direct in that case, Its probably his best shot with that.
I know its risky, but I might eventually grow more suspicious the longer amount of time we go without Level-5 receiving any content of any kind in Ultimate. especially now that a lot of other companies and even indie studio's are present in the game in one way or another at this point. You would think they would have gotten something (that they owned) by now...

Curious Villager Curious Villager that Cuphead interview was way back in March, so a good eight months.
Oh, that's relatively quick, then again, I suppose negotiations for mii costumes and spirits are a bit more straightforward compared to full blown content with characters, stages and cameo's etc....

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Since I somehow came off as unnecessarily vague (again), I meant to say that the moment that Joker's trailer was shown, people immediately thought it'd be about a new Persona 5 spin-off or port. They hyped prematurely when that happened, without noticing the "Not actual gameplay footage".

So I'm pretty sure the staff have zero issues doing essentially the same thing again. Having bait and switches is a time honored tradition for this series by now. :ultkirby::ultrosalina:The Mario Kart staff will never branch out past first-party series, I know it.

At least in this hpothetical case, Layton is lower-key enough that the layman wouldn't really suspect that the trailer has anything to do with Nintendo properties, especially with the relative lack of first-party releases at the moment.
Oh, yes, I agree with that I would be expecting that sort of misdirection to be a Smash announcement.

My point was that if Level-5 was actually announcing a new Layton game, then they should be careful to make sure that any letters in the trailer don't use red stamps haha. People would definitely think Layton getting a red-stamped letter would mean Smash, not a new game, even if the letter doesn't have a Smash stamp on it upon closer examination.

I know its risky, but I might eventually grow more suspicious the longer amount of time we go without Level-5 receiving any content of any kind in Ultimate. especially now that a lot of other companies and even indie studio's are present in the game in one way or another at this point. You would think they would have gotten something (that they owned) by now...
Yeah, it's easy to get more excited, even if its ill-advisable... It's just really odd we haven't seen anything at this point...

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Boys I have the sinking feeling Layton will get revealed as MII DLC Costume, I can just see it happening.
It's better then nothing BTW, but still not as good as a full character

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Oh, yes, I agree with that I would be expecting that sort of misdirection to be a Smash announcement.

My point was that if Level-5 was actually announcing a new Layton game, then they should be careful to make sure that any letters in the trailer don't use red stamps haha. People would definitely think Layton getting a red-stamped letter would mean Smash, not a new game, even if the letter doesn't have a Smash stamp on it upon closer examination.

Yeah, it's easy to get more excited, even if its ill-advisable... It's just really odd we haven't seen anything at this point...
If a new Layton game is announced, you certainly won't see me complaining that it's not a Smash reveal.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Boys I have the sinking feeling Layton will get revealed as MII DLC Costume, I can just see it happening.
It's better then nothing BTW, but still not as good as a full character
Well it would at least be something I suppose, and still a bit more than just a random Spirit event that comes and goes....
Hopefully he will still be able to make it though...

Anyway, apparently Byleth's codename has been revealed and it is Master. I know most people would have probably thought Master Chief, but since Byleth is a Professor as well, it could have also have fit Professor Layton, especially since he's also a teacher and in the Japanese version of the games, he's often referred to as sensei by Luke and others.

I suppose if he were to make it in, he'd go by a different codename..

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
If a new Layton game is announced, you certainly won't see me complaining that it's not a Smash reveal.
I wouldn't either haha. I imagine some people would have amusing reactions to the trailer though.

Anyway, apparently Byleth's codename has been revealed and it is Master. I know most people would have probably thought Master Chief, but since Byleth is a Professor as well, it could have also have fit Professor Layton, especially since he's also a teacher and in the Japanese version of the games, he's often referred to as sensei by Luke and others.

I suppose if he were to make it in, he'd go by a different codename..
Man. This makes two codenames in a row where, had they somehow been datamined in advance, everyone would have probably expected a different character... Master is an interesting choice of word, but I guess it is probably just sensei roughly translated.

If Layton gets in, I want his codename to be Hat. That sounds entertaining.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If Layton gets in, I want his codename to be Hat. That sounds entertaining.
>If its Hat, people would assume that its Hat kid from a Hat in Time
>If its Puzzle, people would assume Arle Nadja from Puyo Puyo
>If its Britain, people would assume a Sword & Shield Mon from Galar
>If its Gentleman, people would assume its Dudley from Street Fighter because why not?

It's not fair bros....

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
>If its Gentleman, people would assume its Dudley from Street Fighter because why not?

It's not fair bros....
gentleman and puzzle my brain would go straight to layton, britain id probably think "what have we done now?"

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Y'know something that kind of struck my mind.
It's in regards to the potential use of hint coins as a special mechanic for Layton.

What if it's kind of used similarly to how Banjo uses his Wonderwing, as in, Layton would only have access to four hint coins per stock. First three are just regular hints, and the last one is a super hint and he can only replenish it whenever he loses a stock.

I don't really know what exactly they could do with it, but maybe it might give him some extra buffs I suppose, first three are small buffs, whereas the last one is more significant.

If that makes any sense, what do you think?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's in regards to the potential use of hint coins as a special mechanic for Layton.

What if it's kind of used similarly to how Banjo uses his Wonderwing, as in, Layton would only have access to four hint coins per stock. First three are just regular hints, and the last one is a super hint and he can only replenish it whenever he loses a stock.

I don't really know what exactly they could do with it, but maybe it might give him some extra buffs I suppose, first three are small buffs, whereas the last one is more significant.

a wii fit trainer style buff but with b&k style limitations, right?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
a wii fit trainer style buff but with b&k style limitations, right?
More or less yeah, something that can help give Layton an advantage but only in limited usage.

I thought that might be the closest way to translate the hint system from the games in a Smash styled environment.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master

It's not fair bros....
I do wonder how Smash discourse would go if we somehow found out a codename with no further info/leaks... It'd be weird seeing everyone fighting out what a potential codename could mean, especially given how vague they often are...

That'd be very cool! Maybe they could buff by speeding up slower puzzle-related specials, as if they're helping you "solve" the puzzle to perform the move faster?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I do wonder how Smash discourse would go if we somehow found out a codename with no further info/leaks... It'd be weird seeing everyone fighting out what a potential codename could mean, especially given how vague they often are...

That'd be very cool! Maybe they could buff by speeding up slower puzzle-related specials, as if they're helping you "solve" the puzzle to perform the move faster?
It would basically be the whole Brave thing all over again, although probably without Vergeben hinting at an upcoming character prior, so yeah, fun stuff....
I suppose its good that the dev's wisened up and made sure not to leave any traces behind anymore..

Oh that might be an interesting way to approach it, Giving Layton a speed boost to simulate him solving a puzzle faster thanks to the hint given, he might be able to land some attacks easier too perhaps with a bit more strength. Although the buff's would be temporary so he doesn't become too overpowered.

Might be something worth looking further into I think.

You know, does anyone else sometimes feel like Don Paolo is an odd mix between Dr. Wily and Waluigi?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I suppose its good that the dev's wisened up and made sure not to leave any traces behind anymore..
It's too bad that they didn't take the Beenox route, it would have been fun to see how they mess with anyone who's datamining the game.

Although it probably would have been a joke in the form of Japanese wordplay, so not many people would understand it anyway.

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Professor Layton has lowkey one of the best Video Game Themes ever
Seriously, instead of making you relax in your comfort it makes you want to live and grab Life by the hazelnuts
I'm enjoying Curious Village so far, I think I'm at Chapter 6 now? Just at the part where you meet that girl by the tower for the first time

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Professor Layton has lowkey one of the best Video Game Themes ever
Seriously, instead of making you relax in your comfort it makes you want to live and grab Life by the hazelnuts
I'm enjoying Curious Village so far, I think I'm at Chapter 6 now? Just at the part where you meet that girl by the tower for the first time
I think lowkey is actually one of the best descriptions I can give for the Layton series, it’s cozy and laidback but still brimming with fun and mystique.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah the series has a very charming and relaxing atmosphere, despite some of the more zany events that can occur, especially in later entries. I think that's part of what I really enjoy about the series.

I suppose the soundtrack plays a large part in that as well. The earlier titles made common use of the accordion, but gradually also made more use of the piano and violins among other instruments as the series progressed and had access to a more orchestrated soundtrack. I think it really helped give the series its own personality and identity.

Which speaking of which, I highly recommend you all to take a listen to the live perfomances of some of the songs from the DS games, I know some where brought over for the 3DS entries but there are still more that have been made that can be found online, definitely worth checking out!

Also I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying Curious Village so far Brindor Brindor

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I really like the idea of Hint Coins incrementally boosting Layton in some way. That's a very Sakurai idea.

And I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one jamming to Layton tunes. I agree that the OST perfectly captures that sense of calmness of mind, yet mystique and suspense at the same time.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

It's not fair bros....
In fairness, Hat Kid still only has one game. As far as Smash is concerned, having only one game to your name doesn't qualify you as a playable third-party possibility, as Sans (pre-Deltarune) and Cuphead can attest to.

Also, there's way more SF characters that would take priority over Dudley.

You know, does anyone else sometimes feel like Don Paolo is an odd mix between Dr. Wily and Waluigi?
I think it hews a bit more from Dan Backslide or Snidely Whiplash.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
In fairness, Hat Kid still only has one game. As far as Smash is concerned, having only one game to your name doesn't qualify you as a playable third-party possibility, as Sans (pre-Deltarune) and Cuphead can attest to.

as far as hat kid goes, never say never, but i think her chances are better for mii costume

ive not heard of those two characters

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Well I was mostly just memeing anyway.

I'm not really sure what the chances are that we'll be seeing a fully playable indie character anyway when the likes of Shovel Knight, Shantae and Sans couldn't make it.
Perhaps a Japanese indie might have better luck, maybe, but I guess we'll see...

I had to look up these two guys. The first one reminds me of one of the NPC's from Curious Village or Pandora's Box. Or at least as far as the pose goes...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I mean, if we want to be technical Eleven is only from one game, but I see your point. We don't have characters who aren't from series with some sort of legacy.

I'm not really sure what the chances are that we'll be seeing a fully playable indie character anyway when the likes of Shovel Knight, Shantae and Sans couldn't make it.
Perhaps a Japanese indie might have better luck, maybe, but I guess we'll see...
I will say that I'm kind of surprised Cadence hasn't joined the Mii Cotume brigade, given how she's now a title character of a Zelda game. I don't expect her to be a playable character, but I feel like the Indie Mii Costumes ft. music will probably continue into the next pass at least...

Also, if you want to support indies, I hear the person who runs the Jill from VA-11 HALL-A thread is very cool.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As far as I can see, Shantae's situation is weird since she apparently only has two spirits. Schrodinger's Cat, really.

Shovel Knight is definitely super-toast though; the majority of major and playable characters of his game are present in his spirit set, and he is an AT on top of that, and I doubt the staff will rejigger the game for ATs to not trigger when they're playable...

I will say that I'm kind of surprised Cadence hasn't joined the Mii Cotume brigade, given how she's now a title character of a Zelda game. I don't expect her to be a playable character, but I feel like the Indie Mii Costumes ft. music will probably continue into the next pass at least...

Also, if you want to support indies, I hear the person who runs the Jill from VA-11 HALL-A thread is very cool.
Zelda-related content is weird in general, when you also consider us getting absolutely nothing from Hyrule Warriors.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Shovel Knight is definitely super-toast though; the majority of major and playable characters of his game are present in his spirit set, and he is an AT on top of that, and I doubt the staff will rejigger the game for ATs to not trigger when they're playable...
To be fair, don't they already have the ability to turn off ATs for certain stages? Though, yeah, Shovel Knight having a lot of spirits already would provide some difficulty in filling a spirit board.

Zelda-related content is weird in general, when you also consider us getting absolutely nothing from Hyrule Warriors.
I didn't know that. I was about to say "Well, I guess that'd be co-owned by Koei," but that is also true of Fatal Frame (a much more niche series) and it has both an AT and a spirit set... Hyrule Warriors having spirits at least would make sense, as it was a successful game. Heck, Persona 5 Warriors Scramble: The Phantom Strikers will have content unlocked in it by having a Smash Brothers save, as its not like Warriors games are allergic to Smash Bros... Weird.

Imagine if Zelda finally got a new rep and it was Linkle. Smash Brothers is doomed to have only Links forever...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
hyrule warriors is an odd one i cant work out who own the original characters in it, i mean for fire emblem warriors ive seen something that says the original characters are owned by nintendo/intelligent systems but theres nothing to say the same is true for fire emblem warriors. with cadence of hyrule most of the characters original to the game are based on pre existing zelda races it think the villain is the only exception but even then he is mostly based on the necrodancer.

the agai you never know we may yet a spirit board event for any of them

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I didn't know that. I was about to say "Well, I guess that'd be co-owned by Koei," but that is also true of Fatal Frame (a much more niche series) and it has both an AT and a spirit set... Hyrule Warriors having spirits at least would make sense, as it was a successful game. Heck, Persona 5 Warriors Scramble: The Phantom Strikers will have content unlocked in it by having a Smash Brothers save, as its not like Warriors games are allergic to Smash Bros... Weird.

Imagine if Zelda finally got a new rep and it was Linkle. Smash Brothers is doomed to have only Links forever...
I wouldn't mind it, at least she uses a different weapon than the rest of the Links.

Adding to that, we didn't get the twin royals from FE Warriors as spirits, either, despite Sak being a fanboy. Koei is bleeding weird about this.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It is quite odd that Hyrule Warriors didn't get any content I suppose, especially since there are Mario + Rabbids spirits there and I think the former was a bit more of a big deal (or at least enough to get both a 3DS and Switch port) And Koei Tecmo does have the Fatal Frame stuff in there so I'd imagine they at least contacted them for that.

I don't know, I guess Ubisoft was a bit more willing to play ball, at least as far as side content goes.

Cadence could be a potential Mii costume inclusion as well now that you guys mention it, yes.
I'm fairly certain we'll be seeing more premium Indie Mii costumes in the future.

amageish

Smash Master
with cadence of hyrule most of the characters original to the game are based on pre existing zelda races it think the villain is the only exception but even then he is mostly based on the necrodancer.

the agai you never know we may yet a spirit board event for any of them
Yeah, my main thought for Cadence isn't "It's weird she's not here because she's technically a Zelda character," but more "It'd be weird if Nintendo is adding indie content to Smash and didn't include the company they let make an actual Zelda game." A Mii Costume or Spirit Event would both makes sense to me...

I wouldn't mind it, at least she uses a different weapon than the rest of the Links.

Adding to that, we didn't get the twin royals from FE Warriors as spirits, either, despite Sak being a fanboy. Koei is bleeding weird about this.
True. I wouldn't mind either and would think it'd be pretty funny, though I don't know how well a crossbow would work mechanically in Smash...

I don't know how many people, even FE fans, loved Lianna and Rowan, but given that TMS#FE got a spirit, FEW not getting anything is bizzare.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
* Pokemon fans and women bought Switch Lites to a very high degree. Women in particular were keen to buy a Lite as their first Switch - Nintendo views this as a major positive since it expands the Switch audience.

https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-dlc-speculation-discussion.453424/page-2178#post-23816846
May or may not potentially mean good things, depending on how they will approach the next DLC selection.
Hopefully Level-5 will announce the next entry for the Layton series soon, especially since a lot of the series main audience owns a Switch now...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i believe its nintendo and intelligent systems who owns them

Yeah, my main thought for Cadence isn't "It's weird she's not here because she's technically a Zelda character," but more "It'd be weird if Nintendo is adding indie content to Smash and didn't include the company they let make an actual Zelda game." A Mii Costume or Spirit Event would both makes sense to me...
well it could still happen, though its not quite an actual zelda game though

amageish

Smash Master
well it could still happen, though its not quite an actual zelda game though
I mean, it's a game featuring Zelda characters on an epic quest, which is close enough to a real Zelda game to me.

Red alert lads: I saw a couple of placeholder store boxes for the Gold Edition of The Snack World at EB Games earlier.
Woo-hoo! Hopefully Snack World does well...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At any rate, nothing prevents Crypt of the Necrodancer from having a Mii or spirit event so far. Although Necrodancer technically has two games even if one doesn't count Cadence of Hyrule.

I mean, it's a game featuring Zelda characters on an epic quest, which is close enough to a real Zelda game to me.

Woo-hoo! Hopefully Snack World does well...
Yeah, only difference is that the adventure's been turned into a musical.

At the very least, I might consider picking a copy of Snack World. If gathering up funds for Summer vacation doesn't get in the way.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Red alert lads: I saw a couple of placeholder store boxes for the Gold Edition of The Snack World at EB Games earlier.
That's good to hear. Hopefully the game will do well.
I might pick it up myself and check it out.

I wonder if it will get a spirit event around the time it releases...
Probably not but you know...

Top Bottom