• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh hey, this is a very pleasant surprise!

Great to finally have these here!
Even if it is a little too late now as I already kinda completed the game 100% a long time ago...

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm not ready to call it over for Layton's chances just yet. We've still got 6 chances for him.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm not ready to call it over for Layton's chances just yet. We've still got 6 chances for him.
I'd probably say five chances since there is most likely a promotional Sword/Shield mon hidden in that pack somewhere but yeah.
Only time will tell...

I guess for now this guy will have to do...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'd probably say five chances since there is most likely a promotional Sword/Shield mon hidden in that pack somewhere but yeah.
Only time will tell...

im still not entirely convinced there is such a thing as a promotional pick

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
im still not entirely convinced there is such a thing as a promotional pick
I guess it depends on how you view it...

Eitherway, I suppose we did get taken a tad back though (Thread got buried twice after this whole thing, heh...). All in all, we do have at least 5/6 more chances give or take, so perhaps we should just keep our chins up high.

Level-5 still doesn't have any content in the game (That they own) and their one of the last remaining notable Japanese companies missing from Smash, so perhaps things might be looking up for us, especially if Sakurai and Nintendo continue to collaborate with brand new companies for Smash like they did with the first pass.

Here's hoping for the best...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I guess Layton decided to go to Yasogami High School for some continuing studies. It seems like a bit of a downgrade after teaching at Gressenheller, but it's important to diversify your education CV.

Layton in an Arc Systems fighting game.
I mean, I don't know what fighting game ArcSys would do that would involve Layton (unless Cross Tag Battle goes completely wild with future DLC), but I'll never object to ArcSys making a fighting game including proprieties I love! ArcSys are truly masters of their craft.

Anyway, regarding Layton in Smash, I'm feeling cautiously optimistic. I am imagining the next 6 characters may be a bit more first-party-heavy, but if there is another Japanese company that makes sense in Smash and doesn't have non-playable representation already (i.e., not Koei or Marvelous), it's Level-5...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I guess Layton decided to go to Yasogami High School for some continuing studies. It seems like a bit of a downgrade after teaching at Gressenheller, but it's important to diversify your education CV.

I mean, I don't know what fighting game ArcSys would do that would involve Layton (unless Cross Tag Battle goes completely wild with future DLC), but I'll never object to ArcSys making a fighting game including proprieties I love! ArcSys are truly masters of their craft.

Anyway, regarding Layton in Smash, I'm feeling cautiously optimistic. I am imagining the next 6 characters may be a bit more first-party-heavy, but if there is another Japanese company that makes sense in Smash and doesn't have non-playable representation already (i.e., not Koei or Marvelous), it's Level-5...
I'd love to see a fighting game involving Level-5 properties one day, asides from Layton, they could do some interesting stuff with Inazuma Eleven, Yokai Watch, Ni No Kuni, Snack World and maybe Dark Cloud among some others, it would be interesting to see as well as finally seeing Layton himself in a fighting game and how he'd work in such a setting if Smash itself doesn't do it first.

I suppose we'll probably have to wait for the first and maybe second fighter of pass 2 be revealed in order to get a rough idea of what their planning to do with it, if its similar to the structure of the first pass or a different direction. Whatever happens, hopefully Level-5 will be able to get a spot in there...

amageish

Smash Master
I'd love to see a fighting game involving Level-5 properties one day, asides from Layton, they could do some interesting stuff with Inazuma Eleven, Yokai Watch, Ni No Kuni, Snack World and maybe Dark Cloud among some others, it would be interesting to see as well as finally seeing Layton himself in a fighting game and how he'd work in such a setting if Smash itself doesn't do it first.
A Level-5 crossover fighter could certainly be amazing, though I wonder if it'd be better to make it a Smash-clone then an ArcSys anime fighter... You'd want something that appeals to people of all ages, while ArcSys is kind of known for their hard-to-learn-harder-to-master mechanics (with some expections, notably BBTAG).

I suppose we'll probably have to wait for the first and maybe second fighter of pass 2 be revealed in order to get a rough idea of what their planning to do with it, if its similar to the structure of the first pass or a different direction. Whatever happens, hopefully Level-5 will be able to get a spot in there...
Yeah, though that may not even tell us much. I've heard people speculate that this past may have front-loaded the third parties just because it's better to get the negotiation-required contracts out of the way... I understand that Smash needs its character reveal speculation to continue the free promotion that is internet buzz, but the fact we're in the dark almost completely again definitely sucks.

On a different note, let's all welcome Arc System Works to the "We have spirits in Smash!" club. This makes me very curious if Level-5 will be getting something relatively soon...

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
A Level-5 crossover fighter could certainly be amazing, though I wonder if it'd be better to make it a Smash-clone then an ArcSys anime fighter... You'd want something that appeals to people of all ages, while ArcSys is kind of known for their hard-to-learn-harder-to-master mechanics (with some expections, notably BBTAG).

Yeah, though that may not even tell us much. I've heard people speculate that this past may have front-loaded the third parties just because it's better to get the negotiation-required contracts out of the way... I understand that Smash needs its character reveal speculation to continue the free promotion that is internet buzz, but the fact we're in the dark almost completely again definitely sucks.

On a different note, let's all welcome Arc System Works to the "We have spirits in Smash!" club. This makes me very curious if Level-5 will be getting something relatively soon...
Good lord, Tuesdays are gonna be tense with the prospect of disconfirmations. Lets hope Layton can hold out from getting spirit boarded.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Yeah it would probably be something more simplistic than your traditional fighter, knowing Level-5 they will probably put their own little spin on it.

I suppose they will probably want to get their more hype reveals out of the way first while leaving the more lowkey inclusions for last, its pretty much how they always done things.

And yeah, speak of the devil, seems like Arcsys just got a spirit event confirmed.
I suppose we will probably be hearing about Level-5's involvement in Smash sooner or later...

How many Japanese companies are left without any content in Smash?

amageish

Smash Master
Good lord, Tuesdays are gonna be tense with the prospect of disconfirmations. Lets hope Layton can hold out from getting spirit boarded.
Yeah... It's cool to see the crossover growing, but it does suck to have a lot of popular IPs get deconfirmed via spirits on a random Tuesday... At least everyone will probably be safe next week due to a Byleth-themed tournament?

Yeah it would probably be something more simplistic than your traditional fighter, knowing Level-5 they will probably put their own little spin on it.

I suppose they will probably want to get their more hype reveals out of the way first while leaving the more lowkey inclusions for last, its pretty much how they always done things.
True! Level-5 doing a proper fighting game themselves would be very interesting, actually. They're good at putting their own spins on genres (sometimes literally, in Yokai Watch's case) for better and for worse...

That is true as well...

And yeah, speak of the devil, seems like Arcsys just got a spirit event confirmed.
I suppose we will probably be hearing about Level-5's involvement in Smash sooner or later...

How many Japanese companies are left without any content in Smash?
ArcSys definitely knocks out one of the major ones left... Koei still lacks representation outside of a property co-owned with Nintendo. Otherwise, there are companies like Mages, Nippon Ichi, Spike Chunsoft, FromSoftware, Type-Moon, and, of course, Sony... Plenty of others as well, but those are the ones that quickly came to mind.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I suppose there is that.

I do find it a tad strange that we've gone for this long and Level-5 still hasn't gotten any content whatsoever up to this point.
Its strange because their one of Nintendo's closest partners ever since the DS era and Nintendo is still supporting them to this day as evidenced with LMJ Deluxe and the upcoming Snack World.
Closest thing is the inclusion of Eight, though they don't own the character, nor are they credited for his inclusion anywhere.

What that could potentially mean? I don't know, guess only time will tell...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm not sure how often spirit events that aren't totally useless would happen, but I guess that at least one of Level-5's games would get covered by one.

Although imagine if it happens to be for Snack World, of all things.
>When Snack World makes it into Smash before Layton, Yokai Watch or even Inazuma Eleven

Oh well, I suppose it would at least indicate that Sakurai and Level-5 have at least talked in regards to Smash....

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm willing to bet that level 5 will get a spirit event of some kind
i could see izumi 11 getting one, though that could be im holding out hope for layton/yo-kai watch

>When Snack World makes it into Smash before Layton, Yokai Watch or even Inazuma Eleven

Oh well, I suppose it would at least indicate that Sakurai and Level-5 have at least talked in regards to Smash....
full kudos for using my favourite yo-kai

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

That would be me, Snack world isn't as appealing as their other stuff.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think at the very least, Inazuma Eleven would lend itself very well for potential Mii costumes.
Especially with the Raimon Eleven uniforms. Much like the Team Rocket uniform.
I don't think we have any sports uniforms for the Mii's yet (other than a jogging outfit I think), or at least no football/soccer outfits so it could lend itself well for any sports themed stage builder stages and the sports items like the soccer ball.

Although Mark Evans could have a pretty unique football themed moveset as well (assuming Cinderace doesn't beat him to it...)

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master

TBH, Snack World getting a spirit event would be pretty hype for me. It'd be a sign Level-5 is involved with Smash in some way without deconfirming any of the Level-5 characters that have considerable support...

I can't say I've seen much about the game or have especially strong feelings on it, but Level-5 in Smash is something I'm going to continue rooting for.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I think at the very least, Inazuma Eleven would lend itself very well for potential Mii costumes.
Especially with the Raimon Eleven uniforms. Much like the Team Rocket uniform.

I don't think we have any sports uniforms for the Mii's yet (other than a jogging outfit I think), or at least no football/soccer outfits so it could lend itself well for any sports themed stage builder stages and the sports items like the soccer ball.

Although Mark Evans could have a pretty unique football themed moveset as well (assuming Cinderace doesn't beat him to it...)
It would be hilarious if this got a mii outfit because no one in America knows these games exists.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
TBH, Snack World getting a spirit event would be pretty hype for me. It'd be a sign Level-5 is involved with Smash in some way without deconfirming any of the Level-5 characters that have considerable support...

I can't say I've seen much about the game or have especially strong feelings on it, but Level-5 in Smash is something I'm going to continue rooting for.
Yeah I suppose that would probably be the best case scenario. Use it as a sign that Level-5 is at least involved in some way without disconfirming one of their more popular and highly demanded IP's (assuming that they do indeed get a character, that is) It would at least not bring any tension between fans of Level-5's more major IP's, at least I think...

It would be hilarious if this got a mii outfit because no one in America knows these games exists.
I think they at least have the first game in the US, although only a digital download on the 3DS eShop.
But yeah other than that, Inazuma Eleven might as well be nonexistent over there...

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Yeah I suppose that would probably be the best case scenario. Use it as a sign that Level-5 is at least involved in some way without disconfirming one of their more highly demanded IP's (assuming that they do indeed get a character, that is) It would at least not bring any tension between fans of Level-5's more major IP's, at least I think...

I think they at least have the first game in the US, although only a digital download on the 3DS eShop.
But yeah other than that, Inazuma Eleven might as well be nonexistent over there...
Yeah, the first game was brought over to America. That's how I played the game and I loved it. Kinda want to import the ones that came out in Europe honestly.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah, the first game was brought over to America. That's how I played the game and I loved it. Kinda want to import the ones that came out in Europe honestly.
I've played the first and second game, they were pretty fun.
I'd imagine you'd be able to import the DS entries at least since those where region free.

I liked how the first game had this easter egg where you could challenge Layton himself!
A shame this was cut in the western release though.
Would be great if they made Layton and other Level-5 characters properly recruitable in a future Inazuma eleven game though.

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah I suppose that would probably be the best case scenario. Use it as a sign that Level-5 is at least involved in some way without disconfirming one of their more popular and highly demanded IP's (assuming that they do indeed get a character, that is) It would at least not bring any tension between fans of Level-5's more major IP's, at least I think...
Yeah, it'd be nice to have Level-5 involved without the heartbreak that could come from a Yokai or Layton event...

I will say that it's kind of been weird what spirits we've had thus far for third parties. Capcom's RE one may be a result of a scrapped character, but that's not confirmed. Marvelous's Daemon x Machina is clearly promotional, as is the Tetris 99 one. Koei's Fatal Frame/Project Zero and ATLUS' Tokyo Mirage Sessions are both just co-owned by Nintendo already. The new River City spirits are the weirdest though... The only pomotional tie-in I can see is Code Shifter coming out in Japan at the end of this month, but it's not like these spirits are directly promoting that other ArcSys crossover game.... It definitely makes me a little bit more tense about the possibly of Layton just being deconfirmed one day.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah, it'd be nice to have Level-5 involved without the heartbreak that could come from a Yokai or Layton event...

I will say that it's kind of been weird what spirits we've had thus far for third parties. Capcom's RE one may be a result of a scrapped character, but that's not confirmed. Marvelous's Daemon x Machina is clearly promotional, as is the Tetris 99 one. Koei's Fatal Frame/Project Zero and ATLUS' Tokyo Mirage Sessions are both just co-owned by Nintendo already. The new River City spirits are the weirdest though... The only pomotional tie-in I can see is Code Shifter coming out in Japan at the end of this month, but it's not like these spirits are directly promoting that other ArcSys crossover game.... It definitely makes me a little bit more tense about the possibly of Layton just being deconfirmed one day.
Its hard to tell wether they are just promoting something or if it's just Sakurai trying to work further on his goal to make Smash Ultimate the largest crossover game of all time. Which, let's remember, that does include all the other content besides the playable characters.
And this video is already outdated as well, Imagine how many more franchises there will be by next year...

I wouldn't be too surprised if Sakurai is deliberately going out of his way to get as many new IP's included into this game as possible, just to really drive the number home. Which is probably where spirits and mii costumes come into play.

After all, this is probably the only time Sakurai will be able to do this. Unless the madman is already pre planning his next step for the Switch successor, hence the longer wait time for this challenger pack..... naaaaaaahhh.

amageish

Smash Master
Its hard to tell wether they are just promoting something or if it's just Sakurai trying to work further on his goal to make Smash Ultimate the largest crossover game of all time. Which, let's remember, that does include all the other content besides the playable characters.
True as well, though I do feel like the odds of him having wanted to add Daemon X Machina to the crossover for reasons beyond "it's a new IP" seems low to me haha... ha... I wish that game had turned out better then it did. Regardless, yes, the game is really expanding the number of universes and worlds included in Smash Bros all of the time.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Sakurai is deliberately going out of his way to get as many new IP's included into this game as possible, just to really drive the number home. Which is probably where spirits and mii costumes come into play.

After all, this is probably the only time Sakurai will be able to do this. Unless the madman is already pre planning his next step for the Switch successor, hence the longer wait time for this challenger pack..... naaaaaaahhh.
It'll be weird to see what happens post-2021 when the series continues. I wouldn't be too shocked if we got our Smash Kart or some sort of other crossover first, as they've kind of set an impossible standard for this game. I imagine Nintendo's lawyers are working insanely hard to get all of the IP negotiations to work out... My wallet wants to assume the Switch won't be getting a successor anytime soon.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
True as well, though I do feel like the odds of him having wanted to add Daemon X Machina to the crossover for reasons beyond "it's a new IP" seems low to me haha... ha... I wish that game had turned out better then it did. Regardless, yes, the game is really expanding the number of universes and worlds included in Smash Bros all of the time.

It'll be weird to see what happens post-2021 when the series continues. I wouldn't be too shocked if we got our Smash Kart or some sort of other crossover first, as they've kind of set an impossible standard for this game. I imagine Nintendo's lawyers are working insanely hard to get all of the IP negotiations to work out... My wallet wants to assume the Switch won't be getting a successor anytime soon.
I kind of feel like a "Smash Kart" might be something that the Mario Kart dev team might eventually decide to pursue, we kind of already got a taste of it in Mario Kart 8 after all. Hopefully they will take better care of the roster selection if they do....

It might be interesting to see the behind the scenes of how Nintendo handles the legal negotiations for their third party inclusions, it's probably a nightmare, heh....

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If smash kart were a thing I wonder what the fire emblem stage would look like?

For some reason I can clearly see stages for something like Xenoblade and Pokemon. Maybe put one of the stages from Sonic and Sega all stars racing in the retro GP.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

For some reason I can clearly see stages for something like Xenoblade and Pokemon. Maybe put one of the stages from Sonic and Sega all stars racing in the retro GP.
Probably some kind of warzone I suppose, kind of like Castle Siege. Perhaps even Castle Siege as a full on track, where you drive from the top of a castle to the interior and then the underworld thing, and then somehow get back to the top?

I don't know....

amageish

Smash Master
I kind of feel like a "Smash Kart" might be something that the Mario Kart dev team might eventually decide to pursue, we kind of already got a taste of it in Mario Kart 8 after all. Hopefully they will take better care of the roster selection if they do....
It would be a good way to mix things up, as it'd be hard to sell a Mario Kart 9 in the Switch's lifespan without some sort of gimmick to make it worth owning alongside MK8DX. Sakurai leading something a la Kirby's Air Ride could be fun, though obviously not possible when he's working on Smash non-Kart.

Fire Emblem would probably just be driving around Garreg Mach Monastery? It's the only place that is iconic and shown in freely navigable 3D... They could also just pick any castle or town with an original-ish design, then have you just kart around it.

My main question for Fire Emblem in Smash Kart is if they'd have characters riding actual horses and pegasi, or if they'd try to motorize everything like the Master Cycle in MK8.

Xenoblade and Pokemon both have a lot of iconic landscapes that'd be fun to drive around. I wonder if they'd put third-parties in the first iteration of a Smash Kart... It'd be funny if there were some third-party characters in Kart and not in Bros.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

If Fire Emblem had to be included into Smash Kart, they should be represented by Sigurd from Genealogy of the Holy War since he is a horse lord.

Don't know if they would go for a generic area or a specific location for a race track. Can't say I know enough about Sigurd to tell you what FE stage he should come with.
-------

Anyway back to Layton and Level-5, i've been mentally preparing for a Layton spirit event, but I thought it might be fun to theorize what all the level-5 franchises would have for spirit events.

Spirit events ususally have 4 spirits, so for Professor Layton I'd have Layton, Luke, Katrielle and Descole as spirits. What would y'all chose for Layton spirits and what would you chose for Inazuma Eleven, Yo-Kai Watch, Ni No Kuni, and Snack World spirits?

Top Bottom