• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Super princess peach, all three Pokémon rangers, animal crossing, wario wares touched and diy, wario master of disguise, both sonic rushes, sonic chronicles, ff4, golden sun dark dawn, twewy, yoshi island ds

I might not be able to stop, best not ask about my 3ds collection

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Sakurai is only human after all.

Actually speaking of Maxwell and the DS era. Why don't we talk a little about this little console.
What games have you all played on it before?
I live in a country where R4 cartridges were sold commercially, so I played every DS game I could find. Speaking of Scribblenauts, that was my jam as a kid.

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah I'd imagine that she'd be a slightly faster but weaker alternative to her father, referencing her nature to lay out her answers quickly and ahead of time while Hershel prefers to keep everything hidden until the last moment.
Yeah... I just yesterday realized the obvious design philosophy change between Mystery Journey and the previous installments. Professor Layton is based on the Golden Age of Detective Literature: you have a side-kick who is narrating the story; Layton's deduction skills are meant to be awed at by the player; and the twists are generally unpredictable as, while they are consistent with all the evidence you've received, there are some major linchpins that Layton are hiding. Katrielle Layton, meanwhile, seems to be much more heavily inspired by modern-day mystery television shows: she narrates the story herself with her sidekick serving as comic relief; she laws out all of her deductions in a way for the player to solve the case alongside her; and you can usually figure everything out on your own as any extraneous character is instantly suspect.

Not super relevant to this discussion, but eh. I don't have anywhere else to mention it haha.

https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-dlc-speculation-discussion.453424/page-736#post-23595843

>That moment when even Maxwell gets to be in a popular rumour
>Oof... OTL

Well if it is real, at least the DS era would finally get some love. Especially with a character that 100% debuted there.
I don't see this being real. There are just a few things that make no sense:... Like, why would Nintendo use Geno, a character who people will already be discussing, as leak-bait? You wouldn't be able to tell who is leaking the false information from within Nintendo or who is just trying to troll the many many many existent Geno supporters... The timing of Fortnite content seems shifty too, as does the presence of a Warner Brothers character, as they aren't known for being the easiest to work with... It's certainly possible, but I'm not holding my breath.

Actually speaking of Maxwell and the DS era. Why don't we talk a little about this little console.
Big question. Lots of AA and Layton stuff, obviously, but some other highlights would be Kirby Squeek Squad, Pokemon Diamond/HeartGold/Black/Black 2, Etrian Odyssey 1-3 (especially 3), a bunch of Harvest Moon games (shout-out to Sunshine Islands in particular), Zelda Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks (both of which I honestly really love in spite of themselves), the one Starfy game that was localized, Rhythm Heaven, and WarioWare DIY.

The DS era is definitely the era I got the most into gaming and when I had the most spare time to dedicate to it haha.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Sakurai is only human after all.

The DS is special to me, as the youngest of my siblings I would simply what my brother had, but with the DS it was something that was my own and I could chose which games to explore for myself. It may seem an exaggeration, but I do feel like the DS formed part of my identity.

In terms of games on the system, my favorties are: Pokemon HeartGold, Pokemon Mystery dungeon, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: explorers of darkness, Super Scribblenauts, Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter, Kirby super star ultra, Animal Crossing: Wild World, Harvest Moon DS, Star Fox Command (Unpopular opinion), New Super Mario bros. WarioWare, Sonic Classic collection and Flipnote studio. I actually didn't get to play a lot of the classics until I got the 3DS, that's when I got to play Professor Layton and Ace Attorney, but they're some of my favorites now.

Last edited:

Matthjass

Smash Cadet
NNID
MathsJass
3DS FC
0602-7469-3826
Switch FC
SW 8578 0545 0012
I actually don't have that many DS titles, but I sure spent a lot of time on them : Zelda Phantom Hourglass / Spirit Tracks, Mario 64, Flipnote Studio and some of the Naruto Ninja Council games...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah... I just yesterday realized the obvious design philosophy change between Mystery Journey and the previous installments. Professor Layton is based on the Golden Age of Detective Literature: you have a side-kick who is narrating the story; Layton's deduction skills are meant to be awed at by the player; and the twists are generally unpredictable as, while they are consistent with all the evidence you've received, there are some major linchpins that Layton are hiding. Katrielle Layton, meanwhile, seems to be much more heavily inspired by modern-day mystery television shows: she narrates the story herself with her sidekick serving as comic relief; she laws out all of her deductions in a way for the player to solve the case alongside her; and you can usually figure everything out on your own as any extraneous character is instantly suspect.

Not super relevant to this discussion, but eh. I don't have anywhere else to mention it haha.

I don't see this being real. There are just a few things that make no sense:... Like, why would Nintendo use Geno, a character who people will already be discussing, as leak-bait? You wouldn't be able to tell who is leaking the false information from within Nintendo or who is just trying to troll the many many many existent Geno supporters... The timing of Fortnite content seems shifty too, as does the presence of a Warner Brothers character, as they aren't known for being the easiest to work with... It's certainly possible, but I'm not holding my breath.

Big question. Lots of AA and Layton stuff, obviously, but some other highlights would be Kirby Squeek Squad, Pokemon Diamond/HeartGold/Black/Black 2, Etrian Odyssey 1-3 (especially 3), a bunch of Harvest Moon games (shout-out to Sunshine Islands in particular), Zelda Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks (both of which I honestly really love in spite of themselves), the one Starfy game that was localized, Rhythm Heaven, and WarioWare DIY.

The DS era is definitely the era I got the most into gaming and when I had the most spare time to dedicate to it haha.
Yeah there is definitely quite a difference between the two characters aside from the atmosphere and storytelling. Its definitely far more apparent than the difference between the original trilogy and the prequels.

Yeah Its most likely fake, apparently Sabi was messing with people with it too so yeh, back to square one I guess. This month is most likely going to be another cooldown period until we hear more info in November...

As for my DS collection, my first games where Spirit Tracks and Pokemon Soul Silver, I've also had all the Layton and Ace Attorney games that where available on that system, New Super Mario Bros, Super Mario 64 DS, Mario Kart DS, Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story, Pokemon White and White 2, Phantom Hourglass, Golden Sun Dark Dawn, Wario Ware DIY, Flipnote Studio, Art Academy, Shantae Risky's Revenge, and a few other DSI Ware games.

I've also played a little bit of Starfox Command, Pokemon Diamond and Scribblenauts I suppose.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head, I came into the DS scene quite late in its lifespan unironically. But still had a lot of fond memories with it.
I'd like to see more games like Layton and Ace Attorney again, that little handheld had a lot of those type of games if I recall. At least Nintendo seems to be working on reviving Famicom Detective Club...

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh this is apparently an interesting little thing I managed to dig up.

Akihiro Hino said:
“There has been a lot of requests and voices to create a Dark Cloud 3 or some form of Dark Cloud, That IP is co-owned or managed by Sony Computer Entertainment, so it’s not something that we can do or act upon on our own.”
“Everything beyond Layton and newer is all controlled by Level-5,”

https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/22/16182888/dark-cloud-3-level-5-akihiro-hino-interview
Seems like Level-5 never really had much control over their games until the Layton series, Dark Cloud in particular is co-owned by Sony. I guess that might explain why Hino was always particularly proud of the Layton series due to it being the first franchise they personally published.

Anything from the Layton series and beyond they have more or less full control over.
Might also explain why they don't really tend to mention the Dark Cloud series as much either unless its on Sony consoles (Such as that Golf game thing)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh this is apparently an interesting little thing I managed to dig up.

Seems like Level-5 never really had much control over their games until the Layton series, Dark Cloud in particular is co-owned by Sony. I guess that might explain why Hino was always particularly proud of the Layton series due to it being the first franchise they personally published.

Anything from the Layton series and beyond they have more or less full control over.
Might also explain why they don't really tend to mention the Dark Cloud series as much either unless its on Sony consoles (Such as that Golf game thing)
well they made some great games so i hope theyre proud of themselves

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah Its most likely fake, apparently Sabi was messing with people with it too so yeh, back to square one I guess. This month is most likely going to be another cooldown period until we hear more info in November...
Well, I suppose we won't know for sure until the next Direct... And even then, it's always possible Ryu is the next DLC character and it's fake nonetheless... Ah, the joys of Smash speculation!

the ds sure had quite the library of games its good to see we all have such fond memories of it
It is kind of crazy how little Smash representation the best-selling handheld of all time has... As, yeah, there are a lot of great games - I mean, our long lists don't even have that much overlap with each other's, all things considered.

Ahhhh, interesting! That does make a lot of sense... It's unfortunate though, as that's an interesting series...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, I suppose we won't know for sure until the next Direct... And even then, it's always possible Ryu is the next DLC character and it's fake nonetheless... Ah, the joys of Smash speculation!

It is kind of crazy how little Smash representation the best-selling handheld of all time has... As, yeah, there are a lot of great games - I mean, our long lists don't even have that much overlap with each other's, all things considered.

Ahhhh, interesting! That does make a lot of sense... It's unfortunate though, as that's an interesting series...
According to this video, the entire Brew leak is a load of barnacles, aside from Ryu Hayabusa, maybe, which probably isn't helping much considering how heavily rumoured that character is to begin with...

So probably best to just leave it be, or either wait and see if they reveal anyone on November I guess.

Yeah I always found it odd how little love the DS got throughout every Smash game, to this day we still only have Lucario as its sole playable character since Brawl, and even then some may debate on its true origins due to a Mystery Dungeon cameo on the GBA. Even Phoenix might be argued to technically originating on the GBA in Japan. So it would be nice to see a character that definitely 100% originated on the DS.

Yeah it is, I was wondering if we could perhaps see a mii costume or spirit at least from it if Level-5 where to get any content, but it seems like Sakurai might have to ask for permission to both Level-5 and Sony for that...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well its doing better than the virtual boy

joking aside it would be nice to have some more stuff from some ds games, we got three stages (off the top of my head) itd be nice to see some more, thats one of things i liked about smash 3ds it was nice to see some handheld stages, some ds debut characters would be cool, like the prof himself or ashley from another code

mind you get the prof theres a reasonable chance we get a ds stage

oh four remembered pictochat

amageish

Smash Master
According to this video, the entire Brew leak is a load of barnacles, aside from Ryu Hayabusa, maybe, which probably isn't helping much considering how heavily rumoured that character is to begin with...

So probably best to just leave it be, or either wait and see if they reveal anyone on November I guess.
Ahhhhhh. I don't know how much I trust Shifty as a source on Hayabusa, but I definitely trust him as a source on the Brew leak haha. It makes sense they'd be friends, given their shared Plant knowledge...

Yeah I always found it odd how little love the DS got throughout every Smash game, to this day we still only have Lucario as its sole playable character since Brawl, and even then some may debate on its true origins due to a Mystery Dungeon cameo on the GBA. Even Phoenix might be argued to technically originating on the GBA in Japan. So it would be nice to see a character that definitely 100% originated on the DS.
Yeah, that is very true... I like the stages and spirits we've got, but it feels like we should have some sort of character that screams DS - be it Layton, Ashley, or someone else.

Yeah it is, I was wondering if we could perhaps see a mii costume or spirit at least from it if Level-5 where to get any content, but it seems like Sakurai might have to ask for permission to both Level-5 and Sony for that...
Yeah... That's quite unfortunate...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, it's not worth paying attention to leaks right now. Let's just wait for November and see what happens in regards to Terry's release, a Direct and the VGAs next month after. Too much ink and blood has been spilled, and I'm just plain tired of it. Would rather play games and watch shows right now, like any reasonable person should.

Support for the Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan is super-dead and Ashley's ATed until further notice, so the only chance left is for Layton to get picked.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What about Cooking Mama? I suppose probably not but y'know.
There is Maxwell as well I suppose.
Yeah, although the latter has a tough publisher to deal with and Mama doesn't have too heavy support, and we don't know if Cooking Mama Ltd. (AKA Office Create) still owns her license. Compared to them, Layton has less obstacles to deal with, and I doubt they'd immediately go for Endo Mamoru.

i think they mean a different ashley
But it's true, both of them debuted on the DS: Another Code and WW Touched.

I know you joke, but most people would think of the witch before Robbins, clearly.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah, although the latter has a tough publisher to deal with and Mama doesn't have too heavy support, and we don't know if Cooking Mama Ltd. (AKA Office Create) still owns her license. Compared to them, Layton has less obstacles to deal with, and I doubt they'd immediately go for Endo Mamoru.

But it's true, both of them debuted on the DS: Another Code and WW Touched.

I know you joke, but most people would think of the witch before Robbins, clearly.
Well there was that sudden burst of Mama support earlier this year if I recall but I'm not really sure whatever happened to that. From what I've seen her series is effectively right behind Layton in terms of popularity as far as native DS IP's go though yeah, she does seem to struggle a bit as far as vocal support goes (Not that that is a do or die type of thing or anything though...)

But yeah, Layton is probably our best bet as far as native DS characters go. (Besides Apollo making it in as an alt/echo fighter for Phoenix I suppose)

I forgot about Ashley Robbins though, I believe she has a spirit in the game though so that's nice at least. Likewise with Style Savvy.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so in pokemon sword & shield, we have a pokemon with a top hat, a tea pot and a sword fighter all we need is a puzzle pokemon a weve hit layton bingo

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
so in pokemon sword & shield, we have a pokemon with a top hat, a tea pot and a sword fighter all we need is a puzzle pokemon a weve hit layton bingo
What about an automobile mon?

If there was some kind of Layton series easter egg in SwSh that would be amazing, perhaps a trainer class?
What would Layton's pokemon team be?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What about an automobile mon?

If there was some kind of Layton series easter egg in SwSh that would be amazing, perhaps a trainer class?
What would Layton's pokemon team be?
Well I said in my comment, galar wheezing, sirfetched, polteageist

Let’s see what other British etc Pokémon are there, stoutland, pyroar and roesrade

Luckily there’s already a gentleman trainer class

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Not Layton himself, but Herdier always reminded be of Inspector Chelmey to me
I can see the resemblance, I think it was also commonly used as a police dog for Officer Jenny in the anime as well.
I think Jigglypuff suits Flora very well, especially if it has a ribbon like the one in Smash as well.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Seems like Nintendo is working on promoting LMJ Deluxe, at least Nintendo of Europe does.

If they where to do an early Direct in November, you think they will bring it up?
Also, I've seen 4chan doing a similar thing as Nintendo is doing for LMJ's promotion from time to time.
Would you guys be interested in solving a puzzle once every blue moon?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well nice to see some part of nintendo is still promoting it

the answer is
8:30
by the way

amageish

Smash Master
Seems like Nintendo is working on promoting LMJ Deluxe, at least Nintendo of Europe does.

If they where to do an early Direct in November, you think they will bring it up?
Also, I've seen 4chan doing a similar thing as Nintendo is doing for LMJ's promotion from time to time.
Would you guys be interested in solving a puzzle once every blue moon?
Nintendo seems to be doing a decent job at promoting it for sure. I'm surprised it isn't available for pre-ordered/pre-load on the eShop, honestly.

I'm down for Smashboards puzzle-solving for sure. Sounds fun!

amageish

Smash Master
I FINALLY FINISHED MY KATRIELLE MOVESET IDEAS!! Check it out here!!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ASfwRikI4RCDlLdEuZbEdt8t6Lgd5sDJDSDNVffNvj8/edit?usp=sharing

I am atrocious at making movesets so I am open to suggestions! I also edited the doc with some more information based on later DLC and the Switch release.
I like it! I like it a lot! Here are some thoughts:

For costuming, I feel like swapping one of the generic outfits out for a Flora cosplay would make sense. She's a popular character and also looks a lot like Katrielle, so she'd fit. I believe her outfit was also exclusive to the 3DS version, so there's that.

The idea of a magnifying glass move that incorporates the Layton cursor as a projectile is one I've heard a few times and absolutely love. It works especially well for Kat given her signature weapon... I also like the idea of her having a clue-throwing move that works similar to Teddie's item throwing in Persona 4 Arena - items with different properties appear in a set order to make a trick character without the RNG of Hero.

If she were to come out alongside her father, I really like the idea of having a case solved final Smash - it's a way to make her uniquely Katrielle while also having a kick-ass CG final Smash. If she's by herself, then I think one where she summons her friends is more appropiate for fan service purposes.

I feel like she could have just the L in a circle, without her or her father's hats, if they wanted a generic series logo. She would need to have a stock icon that adapts for her headgear/glasses.

The idea of a real-world location being in Smash Bros is something I've kind of wanted for a while, but they seem to have resisted it every chance they have had... It'd be cool if she did get a traveling London stage, but I do wonder if she'd just get something based off of an earlier Layton game set in a fictional town.

I like all of your CSS reference images. Her holding her magnifying glass is my favourite; I think.

For music, I imagine Kat's main theme and the LMJ theme are both compulsory obviously. I feel like you could medley together some puzzle-solving themes. Then start collecting other main themes? Again, this would depend on if it is just Kat or Kat and the prof together...

As for taunts, whether or not her father is a separate character, I feel like at least one of her taunts would have to have her self-identifying as a gentlewoman, as that is kind of a trope of the whole series. Having at least one of her taunts be her being silly would be very in-character too though.

Overall, I really like this moveset and concept! Great job on it and good on you for supporting an often overlooked character.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I FINALLY FINISHED MY KATRIELLE MOVESET IDEAS!! Check it out here!!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ASfwRikI4RCDlLdEuZbEdt8t6Lgd5sDJDSDNVffNvj8/edit?usp=sharing

I am atrocious at making movesets so I am open to suggestions! I also edited the doc with some more information based on later DLC and the Switch release.
That's a nice concept you have going on Amazonevan.

I agree with amageish that I'd swap out one of the generic outfits with Flora's outfit since you have Layton, Luke and Emmy there, plus it was the cosplay outfit that Level-5 and Nintendo promoted the most as well as being the most accurate looking outfit that she has that is based off another popular character.

I've updated your post over at the OP, thank you for your contribution!

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Speaking of Katrielle, I'm kind of surprised her game won't be part of the Game Voucher program... Given how it's already a discount title, it's heavily tied to Nintendo, and Nintendo had been doing decent promotion for it (it is still the fourth game that turns up if you look at all Switch games on their American website), I thought it was pretty likely it would be part of it, but alas... They will take all 50 of my dollars; I suppose.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Speaking of Katrielle, I'm kind of surprised her game won't be part of the Game Voucher program... Given how it's already a discount title, it's heavily tied to Nintendo, and Nintendo had been doing decent promotion for it (it is still the fourth game that turns up if you look at all Switch games on their American website), I thought it was pretty likely it would be part of it, but alas... They will take all 50 of my dollars; I suppose.
In the UK the game costs £34.99 while the voucher essentially lets you buy two games for £42 each so its essentially cheaper to purchase the game by itself without the voucher deal.
That does suck that you have to pay a full $50 in the US though, It should have been a part of the deal there if their charging that much for that game there. or at least made it $45 so that its a bit more in line with the UK pricing, currency wise.

By the way, seems like Tetris is finally getting some more love in Smash.

About time its finally getting a bit more content other than those two songs from Brawl. A shame it never got at least a stage or assist trophy though.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
In the UK the game costs £34.99 while the voucher essentially lets you buy two games for £42 each so its essentially cheaper to purchase the game by itself without the voucher deal.
That does suck that you have to pay a full $50 in the US though, It should have been a part of the deal there if their charging that much for that game there. or at least made it $45 so that its a bit more in line with the UK pricing, currency wise.
Ahhhhhh; I had not considered the difference between regional prices! It is $40 in the US, but $50 in Canada. It wouldn't be a fantastic deal with vouchers, but it wouldn't be losing money here like it would be elsewhere...

Nintendo's regional pricing is kind of odd overall, but oh well.

About time its finally getting a bit more content other than those two songs from Brawl. A shame it never got at least a stage or assist trophy though.
The fact we have never gotten a Tetris stage honestly surprises me still...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Ahhhhhh; I had not considered the difference between regional prices! It is $40 in the US, but $50 in Canada. It wouldn't be a fantastic deal with vouchers, but it wouldn't be losing money here like it would be elsewhere...

Nintendo's regional pricing is kind of odd overall, but oh well.

The fact we have never gotten a Tetris stage honestly surprises me still...
Yeah that's Nintendo for you, good thing the Switch is region free so if there is a cheaper alternative elsewhere, then go for it I suppose. (unless you mind a couple different puzzles and dialogue lines I suppose, depending on what version you're going for)

Yeah we don't even have a Dr.Mario stage at that, Smash is kind of weird when it comes to puzzle games...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

People thought Square was cheap about handing out content? That's nothing; Tetris is currently owned by Henk Rogers, a man who has such a greedy stranglehold on the license that, for a time, only Ubisoft was allowed to publish new entries, and Puyo Puyo Tetris being exported was seen as nothing short of a goddamn miracle.

I bet that Nintendo deliberately waited until DLC to work out negotiations for those Tetrimino spirits, so that the asking price could be cheaper. At least the music's public domain outside of Tetris.

Last edited:
Top Bottom