• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
hmm alright then, though the shortening of the victory themes in ultimate did annoy me feels like the zelda one is all flourish and no music now

then again its not always the most obvious victory theme, it is more often than not but no always
Yeah I'm not too fond of the shortening of the victory themes myself, Yoshi in particular is very off now.
Though I'd imagine that Layton's victory theme should be fine, perhaps the ticks might be sped up a little but overall should be fairly unchanged.

By the way, apparently some new Layton esque looking game came out on the mobile app store.
Don't know what its all about but interesting stuff nonetheless...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah I'm not too fond of the shortening of the victory themes myself, Yoshi in particular is very off now.
Though I'd imagine that Layton's victory theme should be fine, perhaps the ticks might be sped up a little but overall should be fairly unchanged.

By the way, apparently some new Layton esque looking game came out on the mobile app store.

Don't know what its all about but interesting stuff nonetheless...
i know right, the yoshi one feels like it ends abruptly

those two look a lot like the guys from mystery bros

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The shortening of victory themes is part of the latest "Goldilocks and the Three Bears"-esque attempt to satisfy fans who want the gameplay to be done just right.

In this case, the emphasis is that everything must go fast, the framerate, the launching, the FS attacks, even the victory themes, so that players can have quick matches and quickly do new ones ASAP.

So we only got ourselves to blame for that one.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The shortening of victory themes is part of the latest "Goldilocks and the Three Bears"-esque attempt to satisfy fans who want the gameplay to be done just right.

In this case, the emphasis is that everything must go fast, the framerate, the launching, the FS attacks, even the victory themes, so that players can have quick matches and quickly do new ones ASAP.

Surely they could have implemented an option to skip the victory screen and go straight back to the character select screen after a match is over in that case?
Wasn't there a special mode in a previous Smash game that did just that?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah I think that's the one, it was a mode in Melee.

I don't know if any loading issues would occur and whatnot but surely they could have implemented that as an option no?
Well, no one in the entire planet suggested it, apparently...And we know nothing of any dev issues that occurred this time beyond release date deadline.

Sometimes it'd be nice to have a ballot for features that can be kept or removed. Not that any of this bothers me that much. :drshrug:

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, no one in the entire planet suggested it, apparently...

Sometimes it'd be nice to have a ballot for features that can be kept or removed. Not that any of this bothers me that much. :drshrug:
Yeah that would be nice, perhaps they could update Special Smash as well, its kind of been the same since Brawl, surprised they still don't allow us to change every player's status separately. Guess Metal Mario vs Giant Donkey Kong will remain a pipe dream a little longer... (outside of hacks or item spam)

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Speaking of miscellaneous things like victory music, what would you all want as the victory animations and taunts?

Personally I really want Layton to have either a taunt or victory animation of him drinking tea.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Speaking of miscellaneous things like victory music, what would you all want as the victory animations and taunts?

Personally I really want Layton to have either a taunt or victory animation of him drinking tea.
After Joker's moving victory animations, I kind of became fond of the idea of Layton driving along in his Laytonmobile as one of his victory animations. Bonus points if it animates like it does in Curious Village's start screen.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
After Joker's moving victory animations, I kind of became fond of the idea of Layton driving along in his Laytonmobile as one of his victory animations. Bonus points if it animates like it does in Curious Village's start screen.
Yeah I’m hoping the Laytonmobile makes an appearance, having him step out out of the car would also be a great intro animation.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I’m hoping the Laytonmobile makes an appearance, having him step out out of the car would also be a great intro animation.
That should definitely be his stage entrance animation yes.

I could also see them throw in his infamous "this reminds me of a puzzle"line in one of his victory lines.
In fact, maybe they could do like the Layton series and give him three different lines he can say at random in one of his victory animations.
Such as the puzzle correct animation. What three quotes would you like him to say if they did that?

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Obligatory meme video:

In all seriousness, I imagine his puzzle-solved animations would be recreated for the victory poses. After Joker's precedent, I could even see the announcer not doing the narration and instead just having Layton's puzzle solving animation + commentary. Maybe have some group ones for variety, in the style of the duo-puzzles from Layton v Wright?

As for taunts, drinking tea makes sense. Probably one where he rubs his chin pensively, assuming he doesn't already do that in one of his attacks. Similarly, he could summon some of his animal friends for taunts, unless he does it in his moves. Honestly, he's likely to be a trick character, so any traits that he could do in a taunt he could probably do as an attack haha.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
That should definitely be his stage entrance animation yes.

I could also see them throw in his infamous "this reminds me of a puzzle"line in one of his voctory lines.
In fact, maybe they could do like the Layton series and give him three different lines he can say at random in one of his victory animations.
Such as the puzzle correct animation. What three quotes would you like him to say if they did that?
I hope “this reminds me of a puzzle” is one of his taunts, it could used for great comedic effect during the match.

Opponent SD’s? “this reminds me of a puzzle”
Someone’s Final Smash going off? “this reminds me of a puzzle”
Hopelessly behind and about to get Warlock punched by Ganondorf? “this reminds me of a puz-”

For the victory quotes I’m hoping he can say:
“Every puzzle has an answer.”
“Critical thinking is the key to success.”
“Another puzzle solved!”

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

i wouldnt have minded to much if thy were just sped up like some of them but the ones with things cut out dont sound the same

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Ahh ProZD, I remember when he used to do all these Layton skits with his Layton impressions. Good times.
There was this fun one with Edgeworth as well.
ProZD is great, I love his voices for Layton and Ace Attorney. His Chanel has blown up over the years and he’s gotten multiple voice acting roles in games and cartoons now. His voice overs for the Hiimdaisy comics are hilarious , this one is my favorite.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
I think one of his victory animations should have Luke in it
The other would be a recreation of the puzzle solved pose
And the final one is him drinking tea while sitting on a chair, reading a book
"This reminds me of a puzzle" should 10000000000% be used during the activation of his final smash though

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
ProZD is great, I love his voices for Layton and Ace Attorney. His Chanel has blown up over the years and he’s gotten multiple voice acting roles in games and cartoons now. His voice overs for the Hiimdaisy comics are hilarious , this one is my favorite.
Oh that's great, I'm happy to hear that.
Perhaps if Layton where to ever make it in, he could do some voice impressions during some gameplay segments. I think that would be fun to see.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Weird to think these Layton memes are being done by the same voice as one of the leads in Borderlands 3... Here's one of the newer-uploads for Layton bits.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I hope “this reminds me of a puzzle” is one of his taunts, it could used for great comedic effect during the match.

Opponent SD’s? “this reminds me of a puzzle”
Someone’s Final Smash going off? “this reminds me of a puzzle”
Hopelessly behind and about to get Warlock punched by Ganondorf? “this reminds me of a puz-”

For the victory quotes I’m hoping he can say:
“Every puzzle has an answer.”
“Critical thinking is the key to success.”
“Another puzzle solved!”
I can picture "this reminds me of a puzzle" becoming the ultimate meme and I'm already cherishing these thoughts.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
err..... which of the music team youd like to see doing some of the remixes?

yoko shimomura version of the main theme anyone?
Yoko Shimomura was the one who did the Route 10 and Kass's theme remixes right?
She'd definitely be the perfect composer in doing remixes for the Layton series as she can capture the series style and atmosphere perfectly while giving it that extra flair that suits Smash's atmosphere.

That being said, I wouldn't mind them trying out something a little more out of the ordinary such a rock or jazz remix for a song or two as well, not sure who would be the most suited for that though...

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Layton's main theme, Unwound future's main theme, Don Paolo's theme and Descole's theme should get remixes
Same with the curious village puzzle theme

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So here's a little something we can probably discuss, suppose we can still get echo fighters and Katrielle made it in as an echo for Layton, what quirks do you think they could implement for her to make her stand out from the prof?

amageish

Smash Master
So here's a little something we can probably discuss, suppose we can still get echo fighters and Katrielle made it in as an echo for Layton, what quirks do you think they could implement for her to make her stand out from the prof?
Personality-wise, I think it would make sense if she was a bit quicker on all of her attacks, but they did slightly less damage. The Professor likes to think all of his moves out carefully and will not reveal his hand until he knows for sure it will do the devastating blow. Kat runs in and usually lays out her thoughts on the table from the get-go.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Hmm, Kat is only a little bit shorter than Layton as shown through promotional art, so I suppose proportions wouldn't be too much to handle for an echo.

She hasn't been shown to be the master fencer and contraption maker like her father, so it would be a bit odd if she would use the same skills in smash. I guess they could create a move set that makes sense for both of them, although I feel that would hinder Layton's move set potential. Echos have been shown to feature different moves than their base, such as with Roy and Chrom, maybe they could change a few special moves.

I have yet to play Kat's game (going to get it on switch soon) and have only watched pieces of the anime as of now, so i'm not versed well enough with her to give an accurate answer of what to make her stand out.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
hmm an interesting thought, i suppose if they had puzzle based moveset kat could have moves based on alternate version of said puzzles, like instead of a moving block she could have the moving ball

she didnt use a sword in her game (not sure if she did) so thatd have to be something completely different if her dad does use his sword

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Personality-wise, I think it would make sense if she was a bit quicker on all of her attacks, but they did slightly less damage. The Professor likes to think all of his moves out carefully and will not reveal his hand until he knows for sure it will do the devastating blow. Kat runs in and usually lays out her thoughts on the table from the get-go.
Yeah I'd imagine that she'd be a slightly faster but weaker alternative to her father, referencing her nature to lay out her answers quickly and ahead of time while Hershel prefers to keep everything hidden until the last moment.

Hmm, Kat is only a little bit shorter than Layton as shown through promotional art, so I suppose proportions wouldn't be too much to handle for an echo.

She hasn't been shown to be the master fencer and contraption maker like her father, so it would be a bit odd if she would use the same skills in smash. I guess they could create a move set that makes sense for both of them, although I feel that would hinder Layton's move set potential. Echos have been shown to feature different moves than their base, such as with Roy and Chrom, maybe they could change a few special moves.

I have yet to play Kat's game (going to get it on switch soon) and have only watched pieces of the anime as of now, so i'm not versed well enough with her to give an accurate answer of what to make her stand out.
I can see Kat making use of weaponry that is more branded to her style, while Layton's slotmachine gun is a heavy metal object, she would make use of a smaller and lighter alternative. Also if their movesets mostly revolve around puzzles then it should work out just fine.

hmm an interesting thought, i suppose if they had puzzle based moveset kat could have moves based on alternate version of said puzzles, like instead of a moving block she could have the moving ball

she didnt use a sword in her game (not sure if she did) so thatd have to be something completely different if her dad does use his sword
That sounds good.

As for the fencing sword/lead pipe, spoiler for the anime I guess....

The anime has shown that her magnifying glass has some special property, so I'd imagine they could make use of that at the cost of some range I suppose.

All in all, she might be more of a regular clone than echo, depending on how far Sakurai stretches his rules....

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-dlc-speculation-discussion.453424/page-736#post-23595843

>That moment when even Maxwell gets to be in a popular rumour
>OTL

Well if it is real, at least the DS era would finally get some love. Especially with a character that 100% debuted there.
>Sabi gets mistrusted, instead of the random anon on /v/ she quotes
Freaking kill me.

In any case, this looks like yet another "me too" fake leak, and capitalizes on the recent Fortnite event on top of that. Didn't even take the time to spell "Scribblenauts" correctly.

i think hes stretches his own rules all the time though that might just be me
It's pretty much that kind of thinking that leads people to assume 50 fan rules will get broken with each game.

In any case, third-parties probably get special treatment, seeing as :ultken: is the least clone-like of all the Echoes so far, and :ultsimon: owes some parts of his moveset to :ultrichter:.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
>Sabi gets mistrusted, instead of the random anon on /v/ she quotes
Freaking kill me.

In any case, this looks like yet another "me too" overstuffed fake text leak, and capitalizes on the recent Fortnite event on top of that. Didn't even take the time to spell "Scribblenauts" correctly.
Yeah its most likely fake as it seems to be oversharing too much info for something that seems to be far off.

I will commend them for at least trying to be original with the character choices rather than the usual handful of suspects...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Sakurai is only human after all.

Actually speaking of Maxwell and the DS era. Why don't we talk a little about this little console.
What games have you all played on it before?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
people should stop treating every sakurai says as iron clad rules that he could never change his mind about

Actually speaking of Maxwell and the DS era. Why don't we talk a little about this little console.
Yeah, although he is definitely reluctant about Kirby characters other than his own (even if no bigwig in Japan admits it), so some rules just last longer than others. I'm just saying that Sak is taking baby steps in regards to breaking boundaries, otherwise third-party series would have had more than one unique character each by now. Heck, it's only just now that a regular enemy was allowed, and the first Western third-party had to wait until DLC this time.

Well, that aside, now that I've been old enough to buy portable games without mum getting on my case about it, I have taken the time to try out some of the DSi offerings, including Mighty Flip Champs and Birds & Beans/Pyoro. Also, I got to beat New Super Mario Bros. DS. Not that good at Rhythm Heaven so far, though.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

i have a rather large collection i do not wish to go over them all, so lets go with, the four laytons, at least on of each pokemon pair and platinum both M&L games, both kh games, both main series zeldas, super mario 64 ds, mario kart ds, many kirbys, chibi-robo park patrol among many others

i think one of those tingle games is in there some where

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah, although he is definitely reluctant about Kirby characters other than his own (even if no bigwig in Japan admits it), so some rules just last longer than others. I'm just saying that Sak is taking baby steps in regards to breaking boundaries, otherwise third-party series would have had more than one unique character each by now. Heck, it's only just now that a regular enemy was allowed, and the first Western third-party had to wait until DLC this time.

Well, that aside, now that I've been old enough to buy portable games without mum getting on my case about it, I have taken the time to try out some of the DSi offerings, including Mighty Flip Champs and Birds & Beans/Pyoro. Also, I got to beat New Super Mario Bros. DS. Not that good at Rhythm Heaven so far, though.
Yeah Sakurai never really struck me as the type to go all out on something prematurely, he tends to test the waters first and then go all out later if it worked out well.

Third parties have been a part of Smash since Brawl, but its only now that he's really going all out with them, and even then, he seem to be taking it slowly for now with western third parties and focusing more on japanese third parties if some of his interviews and inclusions are anything to go by.

He really wants to get it right I'd imagine.

Oh I remember Pyoro, I never realized that it was a part of Wario Ware when I got it from the DSI ware. I've never been good with Rythm games myself but I'd like to enjoy the Rythm Heaven series someday.

Last edited:
Top Bottom