• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
My observations was there would be 2 similar logos in the same pass ^^.
Joker didn'd need a top hat. The top hat used by Arsene isn't the same hat, because it is much more disproportionate. In Utlimate, Joker don't have a hat. If Layton was planned from the start in the past, why would Nintendo have given a top hat in the Joker logo in the same pass, top hat which is THE Layton main visual identity ? I think that a logo without a hat would have been enough. Thus, the hat symbol would have been exclusive for Hershel identity. That's just my opinion.

i think youre over thinking it

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Seriously.
Also, none of these so-called pattern theories ever bear fruit anyway. Nor would there be any issues regarding series logos of all things. I mean, :ultmegaman: has a gear as a logo, for Iwata's sake. They can do whatever they please with those.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Not using the Phantom Thieves logo for Joker would've been like not using the Triforce for Zelda. You just don't do that. Joker having an easy symbol practically handpicked for him from the getgo has no real bearing on anyone else.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Seriously.
Also, none of these so-called pattern theories ever bear fruit anyway. Nor would there be any issues regarding series logos of all things. I mean, :ultmegaman: has a gear as a logo, for Iwata's sake. They can do whatever they please with those.
it makes me wonder why so many smash fans still cling to them they disproved all the time

btw the gear is a thing from the japanese logos from what i understand, if you didnt already know

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
it makes me wonder why so many smash fans still cling to them they disproved all the time

btw the gear is a thing from the japanese logos from what i understand, if you didnt already know
Stubbornness. They think something will fit their narrative of nothing changing from what's happened before. Anyone can change their habits, even Japanese game creators. Heck, even the amiibo theory stopped working with :ultbanjokazooie: being released way before the next amiibo wave comes out later this month.

Also, oh yeah, now that you mention it, it is kinda hidden in the back of the series titles, at least Battle & Fighters (which is a fighting game, amusingly enough): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockm...a/File:Rockman_Battle_&_Fighters_Coverart.png

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Gotta pass the time somehow I guess before the next reveals....

November seems to be a pretty busy month what with Pokemon Sword and Shield's release, Layton's Mystery Journey Deluxe coming out as well as the release of Terry. We'll probably get the next fighter revealed by then too.

I should probably pre order Link's Awakening soon to pass the time with as well.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To be fair, I don't think its as much Level-5's fault as much as they just weren't approached yet.
Hino has been stating for years now that he'd be more than happy to collaborate with Nintendo and Sakurai for Smash if he was given the opportunity to.

He even straight up talked to Sakurai at one point and told him that he'd be happy to let him use Layton for Smash if he wants to. So its more on Nintendo and Sakurai to make the first move I guess...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
My observations was there would be 2 similar logos in the same pass ^^.
Joker didn'd need a top hat. The top hat used by Arsene isn't the same hat, because it is much more disproportionate. In Utlimate, Joker don't have a hat. If Layton was planned from the start in the past, why would Nintendo have given a top hat in the Joker logo in the same pass, top hat which is THE Layton main visual identity ? I think that a logo without a hat would have been enough. Thus, the hat symbol would have been exclusive for Hershel identity. That's just my opinion.

You clearly know nothing about Persona 5. If you did, you'd know that there's no way Persona 5 is represented through anything but that logo.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To be fair, I don't think its as much Level-5's fault as much as they just weren't approached yet.
Hino has been stating for years now that he'd be more than happy to collaborate with Nintendo and Sakurai for Smash if he was given the opportunity to.

He even straight up talked to Sakurai at one point and told him that he'd be happy to let him use Layton for Smash if he wants to. So its more on Nintendo and Sakurai to make the first move I guess...
And since the ballot presumably gives Nintendo a big amount of character names to sift through, that'll take a while...

Also, reminder that we didn't have any SNK content before Terry's reveal.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
And since the ballot presumably gives Nintendo a big amount of character names to sift through, that'll take a while...

Also, reminder that we didn't have any SNK content before Terry's reveal.
Probably, depends on where he placed, at least they took care of a significant amount of the more highly requested characters during that period already and Layton was pretty much at the peak of his popularity at that point. At least if the popularity polls taken during that time are anything to go by...

If their looking to collaborate with many new companies for DLC then that might give Level-5 a bit more breathing room to be considered I think...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Probably, depends on where he placed, at least they took care of a significant amount of the more highly requested characters during that period already and Layton was pretty much at the peak of his popularity at that point. At least if the popularity polls taken during that time are anything to go by...

If their looking to collaborate with many new companies for DLC then that might give Level-5 a bit more breathing room to be considered I think...
We'll simply see what happens. Depends on how complicated future negotiations are, so we could get a few first parties in the meantime.

As for fan polls, I can't say they'd be a super-accurate metric to go on from. Some are big enough to give a general idea at least, but can still miss some factors (like SNK, as I said).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
We'll simply see what happens. Depends on how complicated future negotiations are, so we could get a few first parties in the meantime.

As for fan polls, I can't say they'd be a super-accurate metric to go on from. Some are big enough to give a general idea at least, but can still miss some factors (like SNK, as I said).
I guess that remains to be seen until we find out how their going to handle DLC post pass. There was that whole Christopher Miller voice line incident that caused a bit of a stirr during the ballot period, especially in some parts of Europe. Which I guess is probably a further testament that a lot of fans will become more vocal for their characters if something comes up that might increase their potential chances of inclusion...

And yes, I agree that fan polls aren't always the most reliable metric to go by, especially if they have a far too small sample or are handled in a very poor or biased manner, or are taken generally in certain small communities. Its often best to gather as many samples as possible from as many different communities and demographics as you can. It still wouldn't be 100% accurate and at the end of the day, the final decisions are entirely on Nintendo and Sakurai, but it would probably give a bit more of a broader picture to what a number of fans are looking for, but that's just me.

Also that's a nice drawing fogbadge fogbadge , thank you for sharing.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I guess that remains to be seen until we find out how their going to handle DLC post pass. There was that whole Christopher Miller voice line incident that caused a bit of a stirr during the ballot period, especially in some parts of Europe. Which I guess is probably a further testament that a lot of fans will become more vocal for their characters if something comes up that might increase their potential chances of inclusion...

And yes, I agree that fan polls aren't always the most reliable metric to go by, especially if they have a far too small sample or are handled in a very poor or biased manner, or are taken generally in certain small communities. Its often best to gather as many samples as possible from as many different communities and demographics as you can. It still wouldn't be 100% accurate and at the end of the day, the final decisions are entirely on Nintendo and Sakurai, but it would probably give a bit more of a broader picture to what a number of fans are looking for, but that's just me.

Also that's a nice drawing fogbadge fogbadge , thank you for sharing.
thank you for saying its nice

it was the drawing in that tweet put in the mood for drawing again

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Thanks! That motivates me to flesh out Katrielle's moveset more sometime. :grin:
You're very welcome, I'll be happy to see that.

By the way, Link's Awakening just came out today, been playing it quite a bit today. This is probably just me, but I always kind of felt like the story of Curious Village reminded me of the story of Link's Awakening.

You're stranded in a lonely area separated from the rest of the world, and you can't escape it unless you solve the whole mystery behind it and finally scale the large structure that is looming in the back.

While St.Mystere doesn't disappear unlike Koholint Island, Layton/Flora was given the option to basically shut down all the villagers by taking the gold that was hidden away, And I think one or two Villagers even tried to persuade you to stay in the village as well and never leave.

Its something I always kind of noticed, might just be me...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

By the way, Link's Awakening just came out today, been playing it quite a bit today. This is probably just me, but I always kind of felt like the story of Curious Village reminded me of the story of Link's Awakening.

You're stranded in a lonely area separated from the rest of the world, and you can't escape it unless you solve the whole mystery behind it and finally scale the large structure that is looming in the back.

While St.Mystere doesn't disappear unlike Koholint Island, Layton/Flora was given the option to basically shut down all the villagers by taking the gold that was hidden away, And I think one or two Villagers even tried to persuade you to stay in the village as well and never leave.

the mystery wasnt as deep to be fair

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
the mystery wasnt as deep to be fair
I mean yeah its not 1:1, I don't know if CV was inspired by it, I think Hino did state that he was a fan of the Zelda series but I don't know if he ever played Link's Awakening before to influence him much.

I don't know if the whole concept of being stuck in an unknown place and unable to leave until you solve the whole mystery behind it is a story generic trope though...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean yeah its not 1:1, I don't know if CV was inspired by it, I think Hino did state that he was a fan of the Zelda series but I don't know if he ever played Link's Awakening before to influence him much.

I don't know if the whole concept of being stuck in an unknown place and unable to leave until you solve the whole mystery behind it is a story generic trope though...
well itd certainly be awesome if there zelda inspirations in layton

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
well itd certainly be awesome if there zelda inspirations in layton
There was a few Zelda references and easter eggs in Miracle Mask if I recall, there where three Ocarina's coloured Red, Blue and Green and where described with Power, Wisdom and Courage, like the three Triforce pieces and the Goddesses that represented them. And Ocarina's are kind of famous in the Zelda series.

I think there was also a journal entry titled "Dawn of the Fourth Day" in that game too in likely reference to Majora's Mask, which is fitting considering it was in Miracle Mask.

Welp, guess nothing's original, heh?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Isn't Folsense more of a match?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Isn't Folsense more of a match?
Hmm I suppose the original trilogy as a whole kind of played around with the idea of something not sitting quite right with the the town your in.
I suppose Zelda also kind of played around with that kind of concept too a few times....

Anyway, this month is almost over, if Nintendo is still helping to promote LMJ I guess we'll probably be seeing more of it next month.
I hope they will confirm a new Level-5 vision for next month soon. Or at least confirm the HD remaster of Unwound/Lost Future, I hope we're still getting that...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
There was a few Zelda references and easter eggs in Miracle Mask if I recall, there where three Ocarina's coloured Red, Blue and Green and where described with Power, Wisdom and Courage, like the three Triforce pieces and the Goddesses that represented them. And Ocarina's are kind of famous in the Zelda series.

I think there was also a journal entry titled "Dawn of the Fourth Day" in that game too in likely reference to Majora's Mask, which is fitting considering it was in Miracle Mask.
how do i not remember that? for shame fogbadge

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Lordy, I can tell things are slow right now when I dream about an argument as to whether Conker should get in over Layton (the main "key points" being that one's a character that almost no one remembers, and the other has their series be on the verge of dying (???)).

Wish the Fall would just blow by quickly sometimes.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Lordy, I can tell things are slow right now when I dream about an argument as to whether Conker should get in over Layton (the main "key points" being that one's a character that almost no one remembers, and the other has their series be on the verge of dying (???)).

Wish the Fall would just blow by quickly sometimes.
Ehh yeah I was actually thinking of saying something in this thread but I couldn't really think of a subject to talk about that wouldn't just blow off in a just a few replies, we've covered pretty much most things there is to say I guess...

Though then again, I guess Smash discussions in general are kind of slow these day's. All there is left is to wait for Terry to drop and see what's next.

If only Level-5 wasn't so annoyingly quiet in general these day's as well...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you know with all these layton ports recently and the fact the ace attorney is always getting ported is wrong for me to hope for a switch port of the crossover?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
you know with all these layton ports recently and the fact the ace attorney is always getting ported is wrong for me to hope for a switch port of the crossover?
I guess it depends on how far they are going with porting both series. I think all the main Ace Attorney games are now on IOS/Android if I'm not mistaken and at least the original trilogy is on the Switch. We're still waiting for Lost Future HD but if the prequels will also be getting an HD treatment then I can see Level-5 and Capcom collaborating to bring the crossover over as well.

Hopefully we will be seeing them on the Switch as well. There was that whole rumour of Curious Village HD coming over to the switch earlier this year so hopefully we will be seeing the games coming over there as well.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
It would obviously be more complicated to port, but I think it'd be definitely possible if both AA and Layton are selling well on Switch and they run out of other games to port.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So this is pretty interesting to know.

Seems like Marvelous managed to get some content into Smash Ultimate as well, I guess it remains to be seen if they will be getting an actual fighter as well at some point.

Things like this makes me feel pretty good about the chances of Nintendo collaborating with Level-5 with some content as well at some point (that they own).
I guess only time will tell but here's hoping...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So this is pretty interesting to know.

Seems like Marvelous managed to get some content into Smash Ultimate as well, I guess it remains to be seen if they will be getting an actual fighter as well at some point.

Things like this makes me feel pretty good about the chances of Nintendo collaborating with Level-5 with some content as well at some point (that they own).
I guess only time will tell but here's hoping...
do nintendo own any level-5 stuff?

Top Bottom