• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Does he? I've always seen people envision Megaman to have his helmet be his series symbol and when it was revealed to be a gear it was met with confusion...
I didn't know the gear actually had an origin... (Besides the fact that Megaman is a robot and all)
like i said it was mostly japan only which is why it seemed like an odd choice to everyone in the west but cogs are usually used to represent the series in japan

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So I made a professor layton themed custom stage if anyone is interested.
2019041911031500-0E7DF678130F4F0FA2C88AE72B47AFDF.jpg

It's based off their party member sprites. I wanted to include Flora as well but I couldn't add any more blocks due to the builders limit meter.
Hope you enjoy.

Also I found this really cool stage. I didn't make this one but I thought I'd share anyway.
2019041911155200-0E7DF678130F4F0FA2C88AE72B47AFDF.jpg

It's based off the tower of St. Mystere, It's a pretty fun stage to play on too. It was made by a user named MelonDerg.
Here's hoping we get to see more cool Layton themed custom stages. Feel free to share any you made or found too.

Oh and by the way, there are a TON of mii fighters based off Layton already. It's nice to know that a lot of Smash fans have done some stuff with the Prof and his series too. Maybe I should post my mii fighters too of Layton and the other characters...

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Man, I haven't receive any notifications for this thread in quite some time, and seems like I missed out on a lot of things here! Only now I'm catching up!

So there was one thing I remember posting a while back here when Spirits were first revealed for Smash Ultimate. My idea for a Descole spirit battle. Here's the one I'm talking about:

Descole (Over :ultmetaknight:)
Stage: New Pork City
Song: Descole's Theme (Live Version)
Here, you initially fight against King K. Rool, Captain Falcon in his white palette swap, and Chrom in his red palette swap for the first part of the fight. It's a basic fight against them with no major gimmicks. After you defeat the three of them, a giant Rob appears, beginning the second part of the fight. This ROB's size is that of a giant character you see in Classic Mode, so it's a pretty big fighter. After you beat the giant Rob, Meta Knight appears (a fitting Descole-like character since he's a masked, caped swordsman just like him), beginning the final part of the fight. He will initially hold onto a Smoke Bomb item, and he will throw it at you when you first get close to him. From there, Meta Knight will fight up-close-and-personal against you. If the character you are using is considered to be a villain (I don't know if the game has a personal checker for that kind of thing though), Meta Knight's attacks deal three times the damage they normally do, and his Smash Attacks deliver more knockback.

^This Spirits fight is teeming with Layton references from the prequel trilogy, particularly in regards to Descole. I won't go into them right now, but I think I'll let you all try to figure it out on your own. Think of this as a puzzle!;)

To break down all the references to figure out:
  • What are King K. Rool, Captain Falcon in that specific palette swap, and Chrom in that specific palette swap for the first part of the fight referencing (hint coin: they each reference specific characters)?
  • What is the giant ROB a reference to (hint coin: it references two things)?
  • Why does Meta Knight hold onto a Smoke Bomb at the start of the fight?
  • Why do Meta Knight's attacks deal more damage and knockback against the "villain" characters?
  • What locations from the Layton series is New Pork City referencing to?
I'll elaborate on the answers once enough time has passed and/or some have made their guesses!
I originally left a series of questions for everyone to guess the references the Spirit Battle was making, but since there were no answers after some time, I figured I can just provide the answers right now (warning: prequel trilogy spoilers in all of them):

Question 1:
  • What are King K. Rool, Captain Falcon in that specific palette swap, and Chrom in that specific palette swap for the first part of the fight referencing (hint coin: they each reference specific characters)?
1) King K. Rool = Levin Jakes, the corrupt chief of police in Misthallery and the main villain for most of Last Specter.

Both K. Rool and Levin Jakes have very large builds and have antagonistic personalities similar to each other.

2) Captain Falcon in his white palette swap = the Masked Gentleman/Randall Ascot, the main villain for most of Miracle Mask.

I chose Captain Falcon in that palette swap to represent the Masked Gentleman since they both wear primarily white and wear masks. Captain Falcon is more of a brawler compared to the Masked Gentleman, but his attacks are "explosive" in a way similar to what some of the miracles the Masked Gentleman are capable of.

3) Chrom in his red palette swap = Oscar Whistler, one of the main villains of Eternal Diva.

Both Oscar and Chrom have blue hair and are largely defined by their loving-like personalities as fathers who care deeply about their daughters. Chrom's red palette swap has a dark red hue that is similar to the color of Oscar's suit as well.

4) What's the connection with all three characters? They are all characters that were manipulated by Descole! The fact only the three of them appear for the first part of the fight without Descole's presence is meant to indicate how they seem like the main villains at first, but little do you know Descole that is manipulating them to do his bidding.

Question 2:
The giant Mecha Specter from Last Specter and the giant castle-like robot from Eternal Diva, both being large robots Descole employs to lay waste to wherever he is at to find the Azran Legacy in both Misthallery and the island surrounding Ambrosia more easily.

Question 3:
Descole has been shown to have access to smoke bombs during the prequel trilogy.

The first instance is in Miracle Mask where Descole's butler, Raymond, throws a smoke bomb at Bronev and some of his fellow Targent officers just as they are about to take off Descole's mask. Raymond does so to distract Targent and take Descole out of trouble considering Bronev was on the verge of learning his identity.

The second instance is during Chapter 5 of Azran Legacy where Professor Layton and company infiltrate Targent's main building in the Nest. While working their way up the building, Desmond Sycamore (a.k.a. Descole's true identity) throws several smoke bombs into some vents to keep the Targent officers distracted so that him, Layton, and his allies can proceed within the tower. This happens during one of the puzzles you need to solve in that location.

Question 4:
  • Why do Meta Knight's attacks deal more damage and knockback against the "villain" characters?
It is related to Descole's primary motivation: to get revenge on Targent.

Targent are arguably the true villains of the prequel trilogy as they are the ones responsible for kidnapping Descole and Layton's parents and thus leaving the two brothers as orphans when they were very young. Additionally, while not directly stated in-game but is heavily implied, Targent is the same group that is responsible for murdering Descole's wife and daughter later in his life. The moment Desmond lost his wife and daughter to Targent was when his Descole persona was born.

Targent is a corrupt criminal organization that is bent on uncovering the Azran civilization's greatest legacy, and they will do anything to get their hands on them. They have resorted to using military violence to achieve their goals, with their leader Leon Bronev really pushing them into that territory. Targent will even go as far as blackmailing archaeologists to get them to work with them just to further the group's goals, as seen with that one archaeologist that gets shot in Chapter 5 of Azran Legacy and as Desmond explains it while our heroes go up an elevator (the way how Desmond explains it sounds like he's been through it before, which supports the notion of how Targent murdered his wife and daughter as part of some kind of blackmailing scheme).

Because of how Targent took away those that were precious to him, Descole's main motivation is to get revenge on Targent by getting to the Azran Legacies first before the organization will reach them. He is so desperate to achieve this goal that he will even resort to destruction to clear the land just so he can find an Azran Legacy more easily.

Descole dealing more damage to the "villain" characters references his hatred for Targent and his anti-hero like character.

Question 5:
Both Misthallery and Monte d'Or, the settings for Last Specter and Miracle Mask respectively.

Misthallery is more like a town compared to Monte d'Or, but it is rather big town. Both that and Monte d'Or are large populous areas Descole tried to destroy in the prequel trilogy to find the Azran Legacies in both of them (the former though the Mecha Specter and the latter by lying + manipulating Randall to have him develop a desire to destroy the city).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hey Erureido Erureido It's been a while!
It's nice that you put so much thought into your spirit battle, nice job!

Speaking of Spirits, now that Joker's out, I guess we have a good rough estimate to how many spirits a DLC character would probably have, give or take.
Persona got 11 spirits excluding Joker's fighter spirits.

So I suppose the Layton series would probably at least get somewhere around 10 spirits too for the Spirits board, give or take.

With Luke, Flora, Don Paolo, Emmy, Descole, Katrielle and Alfendi (maybe Chelmey, Grosky and Sherl as well) you'd probably have the base covered as far as the most important and recognisable characters go.

I could see Sakurai including Anton, Clive, Randall and Aurora as well since their very popular characters too but that might be pushing it a little, but I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hey Erureido Erureido It's been a while!
It's nice that you put so much thought into your spirit battle, nice job!

Speaking of Spirits, now that Joker's out, I guess we have a good rough estimate to how many spirits a DLC character would probably have, give or take.
Persona got 11 spirits excluding Joker's fighter spirits.

So I suppose the Layton series would probably get somewhere around 10 spirits too for the Spirits board, give or take.

With Luke, Flora, Don Paolo, Emmy, Descole, Katrielle and Alfendi (maybe Chelmey, Grosky and Sherl as well) you'd probably have the base covered as far as the most important and recognisable characters go.

I could see Sakurai including Anton, Clive, Randall and Aurora as well since their very popular characters too but that might be pushing it a little, but I guess we'll see.
well we cant be sure that theyll all have only eleven spirits the days when he tried to keep the 3rd parties even are long gone

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
well we cant be sure that theyll all have only eleven spirits the days when he tried to keep the 3rd parties even are long gone
I never said they will all have 11 spirits equally each.
Just that they would at least have roughly about ten, give or take.

So long as most of the important, popular and recognizable characters are accounted for, its fine.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
well we probably will get that at least, mind you people have been saying that about the playable roster for years
I mean yeah that's the playable roster, I'd imagine Sakurai has a bit more leeway as far as Spirits go though since they take significantly less time and effort to make, so long as every character has an official artwork to use, which every Layton character does.

Unless Level-5 pulls a Square Enix though, is Level-5 known to do that? Didn't Hino say that he would happily let Sakurai decide how Layton is represented in Smash?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean yeah that's the playable roster, I'd imagine Sakurai has a bit more leeway as far as Spirits go though since they take significantly less time and effort to make, so long as every character has an official artwork to use, which every Layton character does.

Unless Level-5 pulls a Square Enix though, is Level-5 known to do that? Didn't Hino say that he would happily let Sakurai decide how Layton is represented in Smash?
i guess theres no real way of telling before it happens, if it happens

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So apparently someone made a "Is Layton in Smash yet?" blog over at Tumblr. I thought I might as well share it since I thought it was pretty funny as well as a bit depressing....
I guess this will be our equivalent to the #Buffthepuff meme and the number of days Jigglypuff went without any changes in Smash 4...

I should probably look around a bit more with the Layton community and see what the fandom's been up to in regards to Hershel and Smash.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So apparently someone made a "Is Layton in Smash yet?" blog over at Tumblr. I thought I might as well share it since I thought it was pretty funny as well as a bit depressing....
I guess this will be our equivalent to the #Buffthepuff meme and the number of days Jigglypuff went without any changes in Smash 4...

I should probably look around a bit more with the Layton community and see what the fandom's been up to in regards to Hershel and Smash.
well there are a lot of things like that happening over the place so its good to see one for the professor

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I just thought up of a new idea that Layton could probably have and would probably contribute a bit more towards the idea of him keeping his opponents on their toes.

Remember that one puzzle in Azran Legacy where you need to roll a sleep bomb through a board maze in order to navigate it towards the vent of a guard?
Perhaps one of Layton's moves could have him throw a bomb that can be navigated via these boards around the stage. By moving the control stick you will be able to spawn up to four or five boards to change its direction.

This way you can syke out your opponents who may anticipate it coming directly towards them. It might work the best against counter users though, or more specifically characters like Incineroar & Joker or Palutena & K.Rool who may use their counters to absorb attacks to get stronger or reflect projectiles back at you.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I just thought up of a new idea that Layton could probably have and would probably contribute a bit more towards the idea of him keeping his opponents on their toes.

Remember that one puzzle in Azran Legacy where you need to roll a sleep bomb through a board maze in order to navigate it towards the vent of a guard?

Perhaps one of Layton's moves could have him throw a bomb that can be navigated via these boards around the stage. By moving the control stick you will be able to spawn up to four boards to change its direction.

This way you can syke out your opponents who may anticipate it coming directly towards them. It might work the best against counter users though, or more specifically characters like Incineroar & Joker or Palutena & K.Rool who may use their counters to absorb attacks to get stronger or reflect projectiles back at you.
seems a bit complex for a special, maybe a stage

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Perhaps one of Layton's moves could have him throw a bomb that can be navigated via these boards around the stage. By moving the control stick you will be able to spawn up to four boards to change its direction.

I do remember that puzzle and it would be a cool attack. Kind of like Snake's Nikita but with only 90° turns (and an AoE for the gas).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So an interesting thing to note today is that Sakurai has been using actual figures of the characters when designing them.

Of course, he also has a generic human figure for that if there is no suitable figure of a character available.

Eitherway though, if he does decide to include Layton in Smash, he will likely be using the Revoltech figure of Hershel when visualizing his moveset and animations.
I don't know how flexible the figure is as I don't own one myself but having seen the various images of it online in all sorts of dynamic poses, I'd imagine it would be perfect for Sakurai when designing Layton's moveset.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So an interesting thing to note today is that Sakurai has been using actual figures of the characters when designing them.

Of course, he also has a generic human figure for that if there is no suitable figure of a character available.

Eitherway though, if he does decide to include Layton in Smash, he will likely be using the Revoltech figure of Hershel when visualizing his moveset and animations.

I don't know how flexible the figure is as I don't own one myself but having seen the various images of it online in all sorts of dynamic poses, I'd imagine it would be perfect for Sakurai when designing Layton's moveset.
That's a really nice tidbit. I can picture Sakurai staring intently at his figures and it's just so endearing.

I find it somewhat curious that he clarified that figures of characters not announced are not in the picture. Doesn't mean much, but it does get my mind jogging.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That's a really nice tidbit. I can picture Sakurai staring intently at his figures and it's just so endearing.

I find it somewhat curious that he clarified that figures of characters not announced are not in the picture. Doesn't mean much, but it does get my mind jogging.
Yeah it does seem to indirectly imply that the other four DLC characters may have existing figures too that he's using (Which if that's the case, then thank goodness Layton has the Revoltech figure).

But maybe it's for the best not to look too deeply into that, just in case...

Last edited:

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
Hello again squad!
Man, I haven't receive any notifications for this thread in quite some time, and seems like I missed out on a lot of things here! Only now I'm catching up!

So there was one thing I remember posting a while back here when Spirits were first revealed for Smash Ultimate. My idea for a Descole spirit battle. Here's the one I'm talking about:

I originally left a series of questions for everyone to guess the references the Spirit Battle was making, but since there were no answers after some time, I figured I can just provide the answers right now (warning: prequel trilogy spoilers in all of them):

Question 1:
1) King K. Rool = Levin Jakes, the corrupt chief of police in Misthallery and the main villain for most of Last Specter.

Both K. Rool and Levin Jakes have very large builds and have antagonistic personalities similar to each other.

2) Captain Falcon in his white palette swap = the Masked Gentleman/Randall Ascot, the main villain for most of Miracle Mask.

I chose Captain Falcon in that palette swap to represent the Masked Gentleman since they both wear primarily white and wear masks. Captain Falcon is more of a brawler compared to the Masked Gentleman, but his attacks are "explosive" in a way similar to what some of the miracles the Masked Gentleman are capable of.

3) Chrom in his red palette swap = Oscar Whistler, one of the main villains of Eternal Diva.

Both Oscar and Chrom have blue hair and are largely defined by their loving-like personalities as fathers who care deeply about their daughters. Chrom's red palette swap has a dark red hue that is similar to the color of Oscar's suit as well.

4) What's the connection with all three characters? They are all characters that were manipulated by Descole! The fact only the three of them appear for the first part of the fight without Descole's presence is meant to indicate how they seem like the main villains at first, but little do you know Descole that is manipulating them to do his bidding.

Question 2:
The giant Mecha Specter from Last Specter and the giant castle-like robot from Eternal Diva, both being large robots Descole employs to lay waste to wherever he is at to find the Azran Legacy in both Misthallery and the island surrounding Ambrosia more easily.

Question 3:
Descole has been shown to have access to smoke bombs during the prequel trilogy.

The first instance is in Miracle Mask where Descole's butler, Raymond, throws a smoke bomb at Bronev and some of his fellow Targent officers just as they are about to take off Descole's mask. Raymond does so to distract Targent and take Descole out of trouble considering Bronev was on the verge of learning his identity.

The second instance is during Chapter 5 of Azran Legacy where Professor Layton and company infiltrate Targent's main building in the Nest. While working their way up the building, Desmond Sycamore (a.k.a. Descole's true identity) throws several smoke bombs into some vents to keep the Targent officers distracted so that him, Layton, and his allies can proceed within the tower. This happens during one of the puzzles you need to solve in that location.

Question 4:
It is related to Descole's primary motivation: to get revenge on Targent.

Targent are arguably the true villains of the prequel trilogy as they are the ones responsible for kidnapping Descole and Layton's parents and thus leaving the two brothers as orphans when they were very young. Additionally, while not directly stated in-game but is heavily implied, Targent is the same group that is responsible for murdering Descole's wife and daughter later in his life. The moment Desmond lost his wife and daughter to Targent was when his Descole persona was born.

Targent is a corrupt criminal organization that is bent on uncovering the Azran civilization's greatest legacy, and they will do anything to get their hands on them. They have resorted to using military violence to achieve their goals, with their leader Leon Bronev really pushing them into that territory. Targent will even go as far as blackmailing archaeologists to get them to work with them just to further the group's goals, as seen with that one archaeologist that gets shot in Chapter 5 of Azran Legacy and as Desmond explains it while our heroes go up an elevator (the way how Desmond explains it sounds like he's been through it before, which supports the notion of how Targent murdered his wife and daughter as part of some kind of blackmailing scheme).

Because of how Targent took away those that were precious to him, Descole's main motivation is to get revenge on Targent by getting to the Azran Legacies first before the organization will reach them. He is so desperate to achieve this goal that he will even resort to destruction to clear the land just so he can find an Azran Legacy more easily.

Descole dealing more damage to the "villain" characters references his hatred for Targent and his anti-hero like character.

Question 5:
Both Misthallery and Monte d'Or, the settings for Last Specter and Miracle Mask respectively.

Misthallery is more like a town compared to Monte d'Or, but it is rather big town. Both that and Monte d'Or are large populous areas Descole tried to destroy in the prequel trilogy to find the Azran Legacies in both of them (the former though the Mecha Specter and the latter by lying + manipulating Randall to have him develop a desire to destroy the city).
This is super cool. I think the newly-released Joker would also fit the bill for a Descole spirit! Almost too perfect a fit!

Yeah it does seem to indirectly imply that the other four DLC characters may have existing figures too that he's using (Which if that's the case, then thank goodness Layton has the Revoltech figure).

But maybe it's for the best not to look too deeply into that, just in case...
Let's not forget Corrin (and likely, Roy in Melee) here too. We must also remember that Greninja was designed solely from early concept art so it's really not out of the realms!

Perhaps one of Layton's moves could have him throw a bomb that can be navigated via these boards around the stage. By moving the control stick you will be able to spawn up to four or five boards to change its direction.

Layton using sleep bombs is a cool idea, and I wonder if this basic principle could be adapted into a move that causes the shield break/Disable effect? Hitting the opponent with a puzzle so hard, they just can't wrap their heads around it! I like that general idea of having to skillfully adjust the trajectory of the bomb, in a similar vein to Snake's nades or Yoshi's Egg Throw. I could totally see this being a Layton-in-Smash thing to do.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hello again squad!

This is super cool. I think the newly-released Joker would also fit the bill for a Descole spirit! Almost too perfect a fit!

Let's not forget Corrin (and likely, Roy in Melee) here too. We must also remember that Greninja was designed solely from early concept art so it's really not out of the realms!

Layton using sleep bombs is a cool idea, and I wonder if this basic principle could be adapted into a move that causes the shield break/Disable effect? Hitting the opponent with a puzzle so hard, they just can't wrap their heads around it! I like that general idea of having to skillfully adjust the trajectory of the bomb, in a similar vein to Snake's nades or Yoshi's Egg Throw. I could totally see this being a Layton-in-Smash thing to do.
Now that you mention it, Joker would probably be perfect as Descole's stand in, though would they give DLC characters spirits that feature other DLC characters? Especially if you don't happen to have said DLC character purchased?

Yeah I'd imagine Layton in particular might be handy in team battles to where his moves can inflict status effects onto his opponents such as sleep or confusion.

It might be good to have a look through the other puzzles in the series and see what else can be adapted into his moves.

I suppose the banana maze puzzle from Lost Future might work as a dash attack for Layton to where he slides across the stage for a bit hitting any opponents who get in his way, or maybe it can just be a special effect for him whenever he walks across the banana peel item to where instead of tripping over, he just slides across the stage for a bit and providing knockback towards any enemies that are in his way.

Last edited:

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
Now that you mention it, Joker would probably be perfect as Descole's stand in, though would they give DLC characters spirits that feature other DLC characters? Especially if you don't happen to have said DLC character purchased?

Yeah I'd imagine Layton in particular might be handy in team battles to where his moves can inflict status effects onto his opponents such as sleep or confusion.

It might be good to have a look through the other puzzles in the series and see what else can be adapted into his moves.

I suppose the banana maze puzzle from Lost Future might work as a dash attack for Layton to where he slides across the stage for a bit hitting any opponents who get in his way, or maybe it can just be a special effect for him whenever he walks across the banana peel item to where instead of tripping over, he just slides across the stage for a bit and providing knockback towards any enemies that are in his way.
Yeah should be fine surely! Buying Joker doesn't add him to the game, it's basically just a method of unlocking - he's already there, so they could defo use him.

Other puzzles: thinking broad brush here, perhaps a multiple choice "trap" where Layton sets three buttons and can put them in different arrangements, pressing the button again triggers them in the same vein as Snake's C4. I'd have that as a neutral B where you can hold the button and then press a direction to pick a different button to place or trigger (like Shulk's Monado Arts wheel - and you could probably make it work so that you can rapidly press B to choose which to place/detonate as well). And of course I'm still a big proponent of the moving blocks!

Can likely draw inspiration from trunk minigames too. Don't ask me which trunk minigames though... never cared for them much myself!

Another Spirit idea: imagine a spirit battle with all the various characters from S Mystere. Lady Daliah with her cat as Rosalina & Luma, Flora as Daisy, Stachenscarfe as Mario, and no doubt R.O.B. will feature in some form too. I'd get excited for that! I'd say Don Paolo as Wario, but I don't think he has a good skin for Don Paolo in this game. Maybe Doctor Mario, in his purple alt, would be an appropriate stand-in?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah should be fine surely! Buying Joker doesn't add him to the game, it's basically just a method of unlocking - he's already there, so they could defo use him.

Other puzzles: thinking broad brush here, perhaps a multiple choice "trap" where Layton sets three buttons and can put them in different arrangements, pressing the button again triggers them in the same vein as Snake's C4. I'd have that as a neutral B where you can hold the button and then press a direction to pick a different button to place or trigger (like Shulk's Monado Arts wheel - and you could probably make it work so that you can rapidly press B to choose which to place/detonate as well). And of course I'm still a big proponent of the moving blocks!

Can likely draw inspiration from trunk minigames too. Don't ask me which trunk minigames though... never cared for them much myself!

Another Spirit idea: imagine a spirit battle with all the various characters from S Mystere. Lady Daliah with her cat as Rosalina & Luma, Flora as Daisy, Stachenscarfe as Mario, and no doubt R.O.B. will feature in some form too. I'd get excited for that! I'd say Don Paolo as Wario, but I don't think he has a good skin for Don Paolo in this game. Maybe Doctor Mario, in his purple alt, would be an appropriate stand-in?
You'd think that, but apparently you can't even save any online replay's if it includes any DLC characters you haven't purchased.

then again, apparently the Persona Spirits are still obtainable regardless if you purchased Joker so perhaps we don't have to worry much about that. Unless the spirits that include Joker himself or his stage are left out, I'll probably have to check up with someone who hasn't purchased him to see if they still managed to get all the Persona Spirits regardless.

that sounds interesting, if they can get the multiple choice puzzles implemented would certainly be interesting to see.

As far as the Trunk minigames go, I don't know, if we where to ever get a second Layton character, I always envisioned the animal buddies working better with Luke's moveset but I suppose the animal buddies can work with Layton too, one popular idea I've seen around, is the hamster from the second game, where Layton throws an apple and the Hamster goes after it, if the opponent picks up the apple or is in the way, the hamster will attack them (Like the Frog and Snake forms do from Prince Sable's assist trophy)

If Waluigi was playable, he'd be a perfect stand in for Don Paolo, but I guess he can be included as a Hostile Assist Trophy" But then again, Dr. Wily would probably fit much better as a hostile assist trophy for Don.

As for spirits for other Layton characters.
:ultness: or :ultlucas: for Luke with a :ultduckhunt: helper
:ultdaisy: for Flora with maybe a green :ultsheik: at the beginning with maybe some :ultmegaman: helpers
:ultzss: for Emmy that mainly relies on roundhouse kicks as well as the fatal frame chick as the hostile assist trophy
:ultjoker: for Descole :ultmetaknight: if they can't include other DLC characters in spirit battles
:ultmario: as Stachenscarfen, would probably spam his up special in reference to his affinity for hint coins.
:ultkrool:As Inspector grosky, he deals damage while running and will also continuously use his dash attack as well as any other belly based moves. He also runs extra fast.
:ultduckhunt:for Sherl
:ultbayonetta: for Granny Riddleton, with maybe a red :ultdaisy: as puzzlette, a very tiny :ultpikachu: for beasley and a small purple :ultincineroar: for Keats
:ultzelda: for Aurora at the Umbra clock tower
Not sure who Katrielle and Alfendi could stand in for,
I suppose :ultpalutena: for Katrielle since their both pretty snarky and have a servant that is basically their personal whipping boys but take it in just fine...

:ultganondorf: for Alfendi maybe? they both have very long noses and can lose their temper fairly quickly? Not sure.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So Layton's Mystery Journey for Switch has apparently just received its ESRB rating.
It's apparently going to be called "Layton's Mystery Journey, Katrielle and the Millionaire's conspiracy- Deluxe Edition" gosh that's quite a mouthful...

I'm not sure if I would personally buy it, I've already watched the anime and heard that it pulled off the story better anyway and heard that the puzzles have been by far the weakest in that game but oh well, guess I should let the word out for those who are interested in buying the game anyway.

We're probably going to be hearing an official announcement about it from Level-5 within the next couple of month's. Hopefully we get to hear more about the Switch version of Curious Village HD soon too.

I would probably imagine that we will be seeing the announcement and release of Lost Future HD for IOS in June too. And probably the release of Pandora's Box HD for the west around that time too.

Edit: Oh shoot, forgot this was a double post, my apologies...

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
So Layton's Mystery Journey for Switch has apparently just received its ESRB rating.
It's apparently going to be called "Layton's Mystery Journey, Katrielle and the Millionaire's conspiracy- Deluxe Edition" gosh that's quite a mouthful...

I'm not sure if I would personally buy it, I've already watched the anime and heard that it pulled off the story better anyway and heard that the puzzles have been by far the weakest in that game but oh well, guess I should let the word out for those who are interested in buying the game anyway.

We're probably going to be hearing an official announcement about it from Level-5 within the next couple of month's. Hopefully we get to hear more about the Switch version of Curious Village HD soon too.

I would probably imagine that we will be seeing the announcement and release of Lost Future HD for IOS in June too. And probably the release of Pandora's Box HD for the west around that time too.

Edit: Oh shoot, forgot this was a double post, my apologies...
I hope we get an HD trilogy bundle with the first three games, like ace attorney did. Probably won’t happen but I’ll still keep on wishing.

I’ll get LMJ:KatMC:DE (lol that name) for switch, I know I’ve heard it’s at a lower bar than the original series, but I haven’t played a puzzle game in quite some time and I really like Katrielle’s design very much.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I hope we get an HD trilogy bundle with the first three games, like ace attorney did. Probably won’t happen but I’ll still keep on wishing.

I’ll get LMJ:KatMC:DE (lol that name) for switch, I know I’ve heard it’s at a lower bar than the original series, but I haven’t played a puzzle game in quite some time and I really like Katrielle’s design very much.
Yeah I would prefer they bundle the original trilogy as a collection too. I'd imagine it would sell much better that way as well.
Unless they decide to release them all on the eShop at a reduced price. but well, I would still like to have them physical though...

But the most important thing I guess is though, please market the HD games, Level-5. At least let Nintendo feature them in their Directs...

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah I would prefer they bundle the original trilogy as a collection too. I'd imagine it would sell much better that way as well.
Unless they decide to release them all on the eShop at a reduced price. but well, I would still like to have them physical though...

But the most important thing I guess is though, please market the HD games, Level-5. At least let Nintendo feature them in their Directs...
I know, right? I'm seeing zero marketing for them. I probably wouldn't even know they're being released if it wasn't for you guys.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I know, right? I'm seeing zero marketing for them. I probably wouldn't even know they're being released if it wasn't for you guys.
Yeah I've come across a lot of fans who weren't aware an HD version of Curious Village even existed.

I'd like to think that maybe Level-5 wants to push the Switch version more because they are doing something extra for it, wether its giving the game NFC support like the Switch version of LMJ or remaking the whole world in 3D like the 3DS games. At least they seem to be taking a while at announcing the Switch version of Curious Village if they are really doing it, almost a year since the IOS version, but who knows I guess...

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
ah ok, just you guys always seem to be talking about hd remakes
That's probably because that's more or less all we have to work with at the moment. We don't know what the next entry will be about. Will they continue with Kat? Bring back Hershel? Give us yet another new protagonist? Its all up in the air.

That said, if you want to speculate about the next entry, then go ahead.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That's probably because that's more or less all we have to work with at the moment. We don't know what the next entry will be about. Will they continue with Kat? Bring back Hershel? Give us yet another new protagonist? Its all up in the air.

That said, if you want to speculate about the next entry, then go ahead.
at the moment i dont have any ideas or theories i imagine there may be some reference to that anime theyve been doing though i seem to be the only one here not to have watched it

Top Bottom