• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

amageish

Smash Master
Knowing Level-5 at this point, probably yeah.

In fact, perhaps we have just been imagining the Layton series as a whole...
The real twist of the Layton series was that the Layton series never existed. We were just victims of Hino's conditioning that made us subconsciously believe that the franchise existed and our brains did the rest of the work for us.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The real twist of the Layton series was that the Layton series never existed. We were just victims of Hino's conditioning that made us subconsciously believe that the franchise existed and our brains did the rest of the work for us.
Who knew that the gas from the second game transcended even outside of the game, it was all just our own imagination..

that would explain why your avatar is looking less and less like layton and luke as time goes by
Not sure what you're talking about.
My avatar is clearly just a picture of Balan Wonderworld and that kid you play as from that game. :drflip:

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Who knew that the gas from the second game transcended even outside of the game, it was all just our own imagination..

Not sure what you're talking about.
My avatar is clearly just a picture of Balan Wonderworld and that kid you play as from that game. :drflip:
drat wish I’d thought of that

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well as ever level-5 is still able to do ports it seems going by the fact ni no kuni 2 was just announced for switch the other day. any word on if theyll be at e3 next month?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm just hoping Layton gets some kind of content in Smash, even spirits at this point would be better than nothing
well giving their current situation i imagine they might be some what willing to licence characters for such a thing so i might be down to nintendo/sakurai

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
well as ever level-5 is still able to do ports it seems going by the fact ni no kuni 2 was just announced for switch the other day. any word on if theyll be at e3 next month?
no word, I wouldn't really count on seeing anything from them since they never really attended E3 before, even before the whole troubled phase they've been going through. That said, still nice that Namco is still willing to help them out with publishing their titles outside of Japan, at least for Ni No Kuni.

By the way, this might shed a bit more light on what was going on at the Western Branch I suppose. Don't remember if we discussed this before.

I believe there was a post on 4chan that brought up some more details about what was going on there but I can't seem to find it anymore.

Really unfortunate what happened there and I hope the employees managed to find new jobs since then...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
no word, I wouldn't really count on seeing anything from them since they never really attended E3 before, even before the whole troubled phase they've been going through. That said, still nice that Namco is still willing to help them out with publishing their titles outside of Japan, at least for Ni No Kuni.

By the way, this might shed a bit more light on what was going on at the Western Branch I suppose. Don't remember if we discussed this before.

I believe there was a post on 4chan that brought up some more details about what was going on there but I can't seem to find it anymore.

Really unfortunate what happened there and I hope the employees managed to find new jobs since then...
yeah let’s hope it works out for everyone

amageish

Smash Master
To be fair, it is Namco publishing those ports. If Level-5 is at E3, I imagine it'd be another case of "This is Level-5 indirectly," with a different company in charge of localization of the content.

Yeah, I saw some reddit posts about that. The treatment of workers sounds horrifying; sucks that it seemed easier to shut their western office down then just restructure, but I suppose that's the easiest way of dealing with the problem.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
To be fair, it is Namco publishing those ports. If Level-5 is at E3, I imagine it'd be another case of "This is Level-5 indirectly," with a different company in charge of localization of the content.
i know. considering their current position it might be nothing but ports for a while. until they get their money back up

mind you its been nothing but ports for layton for several years now

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Yeah, I saw some reddit posts about that. The treatment of workers sounds horrifying; sucks that it seemed easier to shut their western office down then just restructure, but I suppose that's the easiest way of dealing with the problem.
Yeah the part about them having built a bad reputation throughout the industry and their previous partners not wanting to work with them in particular is quite concerning to hear. Might explain why we haven't seen anything from Level-5 show up in Smash at all after all this time...

Hopefully with them working with Namco to publish Ni No Kuni again recently is a good sign of them potentially working on rebuilding bridges with their old partners again...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah the part about them having built a bad reputation throughout the industry and their previous partners not wanting to work with them in particular is quite concerning to hear. Might explain why we haven't seen anything from Level-5 show up in Smash at all after all this time...
they have? Oh dear

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
they have? Oh dear
Yeah

I think this was probably the same guy that talked about what was going on at the western branch on 4chan.
If I recall correctly, the COO was a lady from Japan who adopted similar kind of work ethics you tend to hear about going on in Japan over to this branch, treating her employees very poorly and causing all sorts of issues there.

They even sat on localized games for an entire year for whatever reason.

It really sounds like there was some very poorly handled management going on over there.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah

I think this was probably the same guy that talked about what was going on at the western branch on 4chan.
If I recall correctly, the COO was a lady from Japan who adopted similar kind of work ethics you tend to hear about going on in Japan over to this branch, treating her employees very poorly and causing all sorts of issues there.

They even sat on localized games for an entire year for whatever reason.

It really sounds like there was some very poorly handled management going on over there.
oof sad as it is, it really sounds like they have no one to blame but themselves

and non of the former partners wanted to work with them? They spurred Nintendo, NB and SE? Geez

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
oof sad as it is, it really sounds like they have no one to blame but themselves

and non of the former partners wanted to work with them? They spurred Nintendo, NB and SE? Geez
More or less yeah, but as amageish said, I guess I don't blame them for shutting the whole western branch down over trying to salvage and restructure it, especially after the bad reputation it apparently got in the industry.

Again, hopefully them working with Namco on publishing Ni No Kuni is a sign that their working on reconciling with their partners again.
I guess I doubt we'll be seeing anything from Level-5 making it into Ultimate anytime soon, unless they managed to patch things up with Nintendo on time for a spirit event I suppose...

I guess the earliest evidence we're probably going to get on their repartnership with Nintendo is if whenever Last Specter receives the HD treatment and if it will include London Life I suppose, since Nintendo was the one that developed it..

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
More or less yeah, but as amageish said, I guess I don't blame them for shutting the whole western branch down over trying to salvage and restructure it, especially after the bad reputation it apparently got in the industry.

Again, hopefully them working with Namco on publishing Ni No Kuni is a sign that their working on reconciling with their partners again.
I guess I doubt we'll be seeing anything from Level-5 making it into Ultimate anytime soon, unless they managed to patch things up with Nintendo on time for a spirit event I suppose...

I guess the earliest evidence we're probably going to get on their repartnership with Nintendo is if whenever Last Specter receives the HD treatment and if it will include London Life I suppose, since Nintendo was the one that developed it..
i thought brownie brown developed london life?

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
The sad thing is how similar that is to the crappy twists of the crossover.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
hey lets not being insulting the crossover
Sorry, but I hate that ending. The game up until the moronic plot twists started pouring in, was pretty keen (despite quite a few flaws), but man, those last few chapters and that ending ruined the experience for me. I know Layton can have dumb plot twists and arbitrary skepticism, but it literally would've made more sense
if magic did exist instead of the octane bull crap they had to pull which doesn't make sense the more you analyze it.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sorry, but I hate that ending. The game up until the moronic plot twists started pouring in, was pretty keen (despite quite a few flaws), but man, those last few chapters and that ending ruined the experience for me. I know Layton can have dumb plot twists and arbitrary skepticism, but it literally would've made more sense
if magic did exist instead of the octane bull crap they had to pull which doesn't make sense the more you analyze it.
i don’t think any games story makes sense when you analyse it

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So I've been going through some old things I've had from a long time ago, and I've stumbled upon some old magazines from ONM and NGamer and gosh, these guys where such huge Layton fans back when they where still around, much more than I remembered, especially the Official Nintendo Magazine, they've released a lot of Layton themed posters and stickers to customize your DS with at the time, they even had a little Nintendo All stars poster set which included Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Pokemon, Sonic and Layton.

Kinda wish they where still around, they definitely would have pushed for Layton in Smash, especially during the Ballot period...
Oh well, memories...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So I've been going through some old things I've had from a long time ago, and I've stumbled upon some old magazines from ONM and NGamer and gosh, these guys where such huge Layton fans back when they where still around, much more than I remembered, especially the Official Nintendo Magazine, they've released a lot of Layton themed posters and stickers to customize your DS with at the time, they even had a little Nintendo All stars poster set which included Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Pokemon, Sonic and Layton.

Kinda wish they where still around, they definitely would have pushed for Layton in Smash, especially during the Ballot period...
Oh well, memories...
i remember onm did a bit speculating what layton kept under his hat

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Welp, one spot left....

I mean, on one hand, the final reveal will probably be someone a little more lowkey and in a regular Direct at September iirc instead of some big event like E3 or the Game Awards. So we don't have too worry to much about any "showstoppers" taking over.

On the other hand, final reveals tend to garner the most controversy too due to everyone leaving their hopes sky high for their MW so whoever gets revealed there will probably get crucified by the Smash community the most, which is probably why they usually tend to lean more towards promotional or unorthodox picks like Piranha Plant and Mr. Game & Watch there...

Oh well, I can settle with a Mii costume or spirit event at this point, just give Level-5 something they own please, Sakurai...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I'm definitely more concerned about Level-5 dying as a company then I am about the relatively-smaller marbles of them not getting content in Smash at this point, but yeah... We'll see how the final slot goes, but there's definitely no outcome that goes saltless here.

Mii Costumes are always possible, but even then we may only have 8 of those left and 8 is... not many...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm definitely more concerned about Level-5 dying as a company then I am about the relatively-smaller marbles of them not getting content in Smash at this point, but yeah... We'll see how the final slot goes, but there's definitely no outcome that goes saltless here.

Mii Costumes are always possible, but even then we may only have 8 of those left and 8 is... not many...
I agree on both things

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

They apparently at least have time to delay Inazuma Eleven to 2023 so I guess they have at least that much to turn things around for them....

Apparently the Yo-Kai Watch anime is also doing pretty well for them so there's that I guess.. Don't know how much revenue they get for their mobile stuff and manga site though.

It is quite funny yet sad how Sakurai talked about wanting to use Smash as a way to promote and support more Japanese companies to a wider audience, yet the one company that arguably needs it the most, especially nowadays, doesn't even have so much as a single glorified jpeg....

But yeah, L5 has their own stuff to worry about right now. as far as Layton is concerned, I guess we'll have to wait for this year's Tokyo Game Show to see if they have anything in the pipeline, especially next year for the series 15th anniversary. They also rereleased LMJDX+ and the anime over there the other day so I guess we'll see what else is up in the near future..

But yeah, if you guys want to tribute and reminiscence of Level-5 and back when they weren't in the absolute state they are in today, be my guest..

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
They apparently at least have time to delay Inazuma Eleven to 2023 so I guess they have at least that much to turn things around for them....

Apparently the Yo-Kai Watch anime is also doing pretty well for them so there's that I guess.. Don't know how much revenue they get for their mobile stuff and manga site though.

It is quite funny yet sad how Sakurai talked about wanting to use Smash as a way to promote and support more Japanese companies to a wider audience, yet the one company that arguably needs it the most, especially nowadays, doesn't even have so much as a single glorified jpeg....

But yeah, L5 has their own stuff to worry about right now. as far as Layton is concerned, I guess we'll have to wait for this year's Tokyo Game Show to see if they have anything in the pipeline, especially next year for the series 15th anniversary. They also rereleased LMJDX+ and the anime over there the other day so I guess we'll see what else is up in the near future..

But yeah, if you guys want to tribute and reminiscence of Level-5 and back when they weren't in the absolute state they are in today, be my guest..
What does/doesn't get spirit events continues to confuse me, honestly... Part of me wonders if they'll do a "bonus" Mii Costume wave before the Final Character just to try and make the crossover a bit bigger, but I think the only reason they had the non-fighter-assoicated Mii Costume wave in Sm4sh was due to the Cloud costume wave being very small...

Yeah, I'm hoping their anime projects are enough to keep them afloat! It's just hard not to see Level-5's last few years as defined by rereleases that aim to earn money that they can... hopefully do something interesting with!

And yeah, uh, I miss Fantasy Life. That was a good IP.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So you've probably heard about beating Super Mario 64 with minimum amount of A presses.

Now how about beating Layton with a minimum amount of touchscreen taps?

Pretty neat that GameChamp did a challenge run with Curious Village (I'd imagine this one would probably be the biggest pain to do as well due to that one scale puzzle with randomized answers..)

Oh, also, Layton was up for RtC if anyone's interested..

MattX20

Smash Hero
So you've probably heard about beating Super Mario 64 with minimum amount of A presses.

Now how about beating Layton with a minimum amount of touchscreen taps?

Pretty neat that GameChamp did a challenge run with Curious Village (I'd imagine this one would probably be the biggest pain to do as well due to that one scale puzzle with randomized answers..)

Oh, also, Layton was up for RtC if anyone's interested..
Well, I didn't know you could do it that fast

Top Bottom