• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

amageish

Smash Master
I could see London Life being made into its own app honestly, both because it'd be an extra chance to earn $$$ and because of app size concerns...

Hopefully whatever is planned for 2021 gets localized.... ideally before the year 2030...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd imagine if Level-5 really where to go through with the whole focusing on Japan thing for a while, that they'd at least make an exception for the Layton series. Seems a bit silly to leave the one franchise that actually managed to be highly successful and they themselves support outside of Japan to not be brought overseas...

At least until they get a hold of a publisher like Nintendo or Namco to localize the rest I suppose..

That being said, London Life was developed by Nintendo (Brownie Brown/1-Up Studio), hence why I'm not entirely sure whether or not it would come along with Last Specter if that gets the HD treatment. At least, as far as potential rights issues are concerned, then again, I believe Level-5 released a Layton mobile spin off game that used the same sprites from London Life if I recall so perhaps they own everything that Nintendo made for them?

Guess only time will tell, I suppose they could also always release it as its own separate app, yes.
If they do, would be neat if they updated it with characters introduced in Miracle Mask and onwards.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Happy new year everyone!

Well this is the final stretch for Smash (probably) so lets make this one count!

I have a feeling we will probably be seeing some interesting stuff later this year, if not, then perhaps the year after as the Layton series reaches its 15th anniversary.
But for now, here's hoping we get to see the potential release of Last Specter HD and a hopeful announcement of the next Layton game at around the end of the year finally. And maybe, just maybe, a potential reveal for the Prof in Ultimate too (or at least, and acknowledgement in someway....)

Guess only time will tell as usual. Lets hope for the best!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
2021 will be an interesting year or at least 9 months worth of speculation if the past 3 fighter releases are anything to go by
Yeah it will probably be all wrapped up in about 8-10 months or so, give or take, whether or not the last few characters are either Min-Min/Steve or Sephiroth tier in terms of complexity.

I'd imagine they already got the most difficult fighters out of the way, so it should probably be pretty smooth sailing for the dev's now I think.
But who knows what other crazy gimmicks they have in store I suppose...

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah it will probably be all wrapped up in about 8-10 months or so, give or take, whether or not the last few characters are either Min-Min/Steve or Sephiroth tier in terms of complexity.

I'd imagine they already got the most difficult fighters out of the way, so it should probably be pretty smooth sailing for the dev's now I think.
But who knows what other crazy gimmicks they have in store I suppose...
I do like how we've reached the point where Sephiroth's "only" having 3 neutral specials, 2 up-specials, and a unique fighter ability makes him the standard/typical character...

They, uh, kind of went insane with the DLC thus far. I'd be honestly mildly surprised if we got a character who only has 4 specials at this stage lol.
😅

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Happy new year everyone!

Well this is the final stretch for Smash (probably) so lets make this one count!

I have a feeling we will probably be seeing some interesting stuff later this year, if not, then perhaps the year after as the Layton series reaches its 15th anniversary.
But for now, here's hoping we get to see the potential release of Last Specter HD and a hopeful announcement of the next Layton game at around the end of the year finally. And maybe, just maybe, a potential reveal for the Prof in Ultimate too (or at least, and acknowledgement in someway....)

Guess only time will tell as usual. Lets hope for the best!
Just hope that the series even gets a Mii costume at all. We're not even getting third-party spirit events anymore.

amageish

Smash Master
Just hope that the series even gets a Mii costume at all. We're not even getting third-party spirit events anymore.
It's weird how new spirit events just... stopped. There was a period in early 2020 where almost every event had new spirits, then it just... stopped with only Octopath and Paper Mario getting new spirits since April.

I guess maybe they just couldn't justify putting resources towards them? The pandemic caused them to cancel new free spirit event development and that's it?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I guess maybe they just couldn't justify putting resources towards them? The pandemic caused them to cancel new free spirit event development and that's it?
i would imagine thats it. still things may pick up again, have they approved any of the vaccines in japan?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's weird how new spirit events just... stopped. There was a period in early 2020 where almost every event had new spirits, then it just... stopped with only Octopath and Paper Mario getting new spirits since April.

Probably ran out of pre-negotiated deals, so now they're stalling.

amageish

Smash Master
i would imagine thats it. still things may pick up again, have they approved any of the vaccines in japan?
I believe they're still in progress, but the plan is for vaccinations to begin late Feb/March this year.

Probably ran out of pre-negotiated deals, so now they're stalling.
That's very possible, though they still have some first-party games they could implement if they really wanted... Give some of their smaller games like Clubhouse Games a few spirits? I doubt it would be super hype for that many people to fight chess pieces, but it's still free promotion for one of their games... They could also do second-party stuff like Part Time UFO or stuff developed by other companies for Nintendo like Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE or Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I believe they're still in progress, but the plan is for vaccinations to begin late Feb/March this year.

That's very possible, though they still have some first-party games they could implement if they really wanted... Give some of their smaller games like Clubhouse Games a few spirits? I doubt it would be super hype for that many people to fight chess pieces, but it's still free promotion for one of their games... They could also do second-party stuff like Part Time UFO or stuff developed by other companies for Nintendo like Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE or Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity...
I'm still waiting for Luigi's Mansion 3. Two Halloweens, nothing.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's quite weird that we've had so few new spirit events, even from Nintendo's own franchises or properties they owned
weird perhaps but completely understandable

mind you if a new event gets announced later today we're gonna look like mugs

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah you'd think we'd at least be seeing some more first party spirit events, then again, to be kinda fair, Nintendo was quite light on software releases last year anyway, guess they probably felt that Animal Crossing was more than enough to carry them throughout the entire year, pandemic aside...

That said, not seeing any spirit events for something like Luigi's Mansion 3 was indeed quite odd though, especially since Smash made it a point to make a huge deal out of the Year of Luigi last game, poor green stache... Guess he at least got a new poltergust grab though..:ultluigi:

But again, unless the pandemic caused some big delays or other potential issues, I suppose it may also further evidence that this pass will probably be pretty much it at this point, assuming Sakurai's interview and him limiting his PotD's to weekdays now due to running out of pics weren't evident enough that he's slowly wrapping things up now for this game...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
weird perhaps but completely understandable

mind you if a new event gets announced later today we're gonna look like mugs

And it happened! So... Um... The only reasonable conclusion is that us being confused in this thread makes things happen... via maaaaaagic! (please read that magic in Himiko's voice, for those of you that get that reference.)

ahem

MAN, I SURE AM CONFUSED ABOUT WHY LAYTON ISN'T IN SMASH AND ALSO THE ANIME HASN'T BEEN LOCALIZED AND ALSO WHY THEY DIDN'T MAKE A KATRIELLE LAYTON VS APOLLO JUSTICE GAME

MattX20

Smash Hero

And it happened! So... Um... The only reasonable conclusion is that us being confused in this thread makes things happen... via maaaaaagic! (please read that magic in Himiko's voice, for those of you that get that reference.)

ahem

MAN, I SURE AM CONFUSED ABOUT WHY LAYTON ISN'T IN SMASH AND ALSO THE ANIME HASN'T BEEN LOCALIZED AND ALSO WHY THEY DIDN'T MAKE A KATRIELLE LAYTON VS APOLLO JUSTICE GAME
Oh no, there goes Impa's chances

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

ahem

well its four days later so what i said doesnt count

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

ahem

All that did was make me hit myself in my confusion...:ultpichu:

But hey, nice to finally see some new spirits again, kinda forgot for a moment AoC was a thing, heh...
A bit odd they never did any spirits for the original HW though, guess its a Koei Tecmo thing as they'd probably mainly prioritize the OC's like Lana, and Linkle from that game.

Edit: Oh also, L5 is wishing us a happy new year with a higher resolution version of that artwork they posted last month with some more characters added I think.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
well its four days later so what i said doesnt count
As the weekend events are only announced on Tuesdays, it was as early as it could have been, so I'm counting it. Plus days have no meaning during a pandemic; life is just a long day with a lot of naps.

All that did was make me hit myself in my confusion...:ultpichu:

But hey, nice to finally see some new spirits again, kinda forgot for a moment AoC was a thing, heh...
A bit odd they never did any spirits for the original HW though, guess its a Koei Tecmo thing as they'd probably mainly prioritize the OC's like Lana, and Linkle from that game.
I, uh, really should play more of AoC... as I do own it... but I have been playing a lot of Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 and little else...

It is funny AoC now will have content when HW has none for sure. I guess it is just the power of brand synergy for the newer release? Or maybe they saw how HWAoC had provoked some fan requests/speculation, so they wanted to give spirits as a participation trophy? Idk...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I, uh, really should play more of AoC... as I do own it... but I have been playing a lot of Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 and little else...

It is funny AoC now will have content when HW has none for sure. I guess it is just the power of brand synergy for the newer release? Or maybe they saw how HWAoC had provoked some fan requests/speculation, so they wanted to give spirits as a participation trophy? Idk...
well perhaps these characters were just easier to included, we're still not sure who owns all the HW originals

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Seems like DearestHershel posted a 25 unknown facts video about the Layton series today. Quite a number of them are new that I never knew about so it might be worth a watch.

The amount of shortcuts and little details Level-5 managed to get away with due to the DS's more compressed screen until the HD ports laid them bare is quite funny to see though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not gonna be involved with the RTC thread by principle. It's no different than betting in horse races. :deathstare:

As the weekend events are only announced on Tuesdays, it was as early as it could have been, so I'm counting it. Plus days have no meaning during a pandemic; life is just a long day with a lot of naps.

Maybe negotiations for HW stuff took so long that they settled with AoC stuff in the end, to use as a break in a sea of endless filler events.

At least I have a job again, only the weekends are slow for me.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Basically, voting percentage trying to be higher than the other side's.

But whatever, this latest round is so one-sided that it would take a miracle for Layton to have the advantage. I just can't stand that thread at all, so please ignore me.
Wait, they do tug of wars now? Between two completely unrelated characters? That's, kinda pointless..

Oh well, not that I have much interest in participating in RTC anyway, especially as this game's support is pretty much drawing to a close at this point.

On an unrelated note, apparently a live orchestra for the Layton series was performed not too long ago, pretty cool to see.

Hope you enjoy.

amageish

Smash Master
I'm sure there are some people concerned with RTC leaderboards and who is the highest-rated character, but that's hardly the purpose of the thread...

At least the format of RTC ensures that discussion constantly moves around, which can't be said of... most general threads on this website, which can be... slightly cyclical (which isn't to say that I don't like discussing the same thing over and over, but I figure that's what topic threads are for).

On an unrelated note, apparently a live orchestra for the Layton series was performed not too long ago, pretty cool to see.

Hope you enjoy.
Solid arrangement! I, uh, hope it is older footage though, as I can't imagine that many symphonies are safely performing in 2020...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
At least the format of RTC ensures that discussion constantly moves around, which can't be said of... most general threads on this website, which can be... slightly cyclical (which isn't to say that I don't like discussing the same thing over and over, but I figure that's what topic threads are for).
weve certainly retred some ground in this thread

Last edited:
Top Bottom