• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I am going to write me a Professor Layton Fanfiction.
I've already got the general gist of the story, it's gonna feature a much older Layton (Late 60's?) after retiring from his post at Gressenheller University, as he finds himself caught up in a revolutionary/civil war where a novelist that helped Layton overcome his grief following
Claire's first Death
is one of the leading figures in the conflict.
Old friends and foes from past games appear, exploring themes like existentialism, determinism vs free will and the importance of hope on the way, as Layton's story arc is brought to a closing finality in his last adventure.

It's going to be called "Professor Layton and The Final Freedom War" although I'm not 100% happy with that title yet. Lacks the Layton title magic.

Anyway, I've gotten in to reading more and more Layton fan content since I found out that the Series has had a few novels that haven't been translated into English yet. Wonder why Level-5 doesn't think it's worth the effort, they could at least just translate them and have them published as E-Books if the cost of paper and Ink deters them from trying it out.
im writing a story atm with a character slightly based on Layton

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
nintendo uk's store has got millionaire's conspiracy in a mental well being section, along with captain toad. i found it very pleasing to see those two together

also interesting to note it was the only non nintendo game in the selection
Oh that's neat, nice to know that NoE is still working with Level-5 to promote the series.

I am going to write me a Professor Layton Fanfiction.
I've already got the general gist of the story, it's gonna feature a much older Layton (Late 60's?) after retiring from his post at Gressenheller University, as he finds himself caught up in a revolutionary/civil war where a novelist that helped Layton overcome his grief following
Claire's first Death
is one of the leading figures in the conflict.
Old friends and foes from past games appear, exploring themes like existentialism, determinism vs free will and the importance of hope on the way, as Layton's story arc is brought to a closing finality in his last adventure.

It's going to be called "Professor Layton and The Final Freedom War" although I'm not 100% happy with that title yet. Lacks the Layton title magic.

Anyway, I've gotten in to reading more and more Layton fan content since I found out that the Series has had a few novels that haven't been translated into English yet. Wonder why Level-5 doesn't think it's worth the effort, they could at least just translate them and have them published as E-Books if the cost of paper and Ink deters them from trying it out.
That's nice to hear, I do enjoy the fan content Layton fans tend to make, the series lends itself well for further mystery plots and all.

Level-5 generally tends to prioritise Japan for their multimedia stuff I suppose, they have released some other media in regards to the Layton series in a few European territories, unfortunately barely any English releases though...

In regards to the hamster from Elysian Box, I thought the rodent in :ulthero2: pocket looked a little familiar when I first saw it, then I remembered the hamster from Layton, then I remembered Level-5 made both the Layton series and the Dragon Quest game that :ulthero2: came from.

Might have been a potential little easter egg, pretty neat if so.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
In regards to the hamster from Elysian Box, I thought the rodent in :ulthero2: pocket looked a little familiar when I first saw it, then I remembered the hamster from Layton, then I remembered Level-5 made both the Layton series and the Dragon Quest game that :ulthero2: came from.

Might have been a potential little easter egg, pretty neat if so.
huh i just had a go DQ8 and did not pick up on that similarity

then again the game was a tad boring

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Its finally happening Layton lads!

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Unwound/Lost Future HD will be coming out in ten days wordwide and seems like Level-5 is holding an art competition to celebrate the release of the game.

Glad to know they learned from their mistake with the first two games and are actually going out of their way to market the game and spread the word of mouth. Here's hoping it does well.

Last edited:

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Its finally happening Layton lads!

Unwound/Lost Future will be coming out in ten days wordwide and seems like Level-5 is holding an art competition to celebrate the release of the game.

Glad to know they learned from their mistake with the first two games and are actually going out of their way to market the game and spread the word of mouth. Here's hoping it does well.
Nice! :D Looking forward to it.

The dodge of Level-5 in the last Mii Fighter Costume showcase made me more positive on a possible Layton/Level-5 reveal. I heavily believe at least one new Japanese third party will join as DLC in this round, just as Square Enix and SNK did in their DLC rounds. On the topic of DLC not being as expensive this time, I can't believe Layton will be that expensive when you're also looking at other characters from even bigger companies like Crash, Doomguy or Master Chief.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Nice! :D Looking forward to it.

The dodge of Level-5 in the last Mii Fighter Costume showcase made me more positive on a possible Layton/Level-5 reveal. I heavily believe at least one new Japanese third party will join as DLC in this round, just as Square Enix and SNK did in their DLC rounds. On the topic of DLC not being as expensive this time, I can't believe Layton will be that expensive when you're also looking at other characters from even bigger companies like Crash, Doomguy or Master Chief.
I think Level-5 would be about as hard to deal with as Atlus and SNK, Hino himself has had expressed high interest in seeing his content in Smash for a very long time now so I doubt he would make it all that difficult for Nintendo and Sakurai to licence their content for Smash.

Here's hoping for the best.

At least we covered the relevancy factor for this year thanks to this HD port. Hopefully we'll finally be hearing of the new entry sometime next year.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hmm I wonder if there’s a possibility that the original trilogy games could get Bundled together for a console release?
Only time will tell I suppose.
There was that whole thing with CV HD potentially getting a Switch release so perhaps they will do like LFHD and release the entire trilogy wordwide simultaneously. But who knows I guess, we'll probably have to wait a while for that for now.

Also inb4 they took so long to bring us Unwound/Lost Future HD was just so they could make a time joke for it! (Probably also because its the game's tenth anniversary, which is fitting for a game about travelling ten years into the future)
At least mobile will expose the franchise to non-gamers.

Can any of you draw for that art contest?
The franchise always performed best with non gamers anyway, which is probably why Level-5's been pushing mobile support for the series since that's pretty much where most of the DS/Wii era casual gamers have moved on to. Hopefully with the likes of Brain Age and Clubhouse Games doing well on Switch will encourage Level-5 to bring in the series over to the Switch as well. Or at least a potential brand new entry.

I'd love to post a little something there, but I'm not sure how well my art would do there haha. I've looked up the tag, there are already a bunch of amazing artwork posted there, definitely worth taking a look. (Potential spoilers though for those who are new to the game so take a look at your own risk)

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Unwound/Lost Future HD will be coming out in ten days wordwide and seems like Level-5 is holding an art competition to celebrate the release of the game.
Woo-hoo! Well, this is nice to have formally confirmed. 10 days away isn't a bad wait either! I do wish I had enough space on my phone's storage to get more games haha...

Hmm I wonder if there’s a possibility that the original trilogy games could get Bundled together for a console release?
I think Curious Village had a Switch listing leaked by the localization team, like, a year ago? Who knows if that was just a clerical error at this point though...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well i would defiantly recommend this one to anyone whos yet to play it certainly one of the strongest points of the series

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Level-5 just released a trailer for Unwound/Lost Future HD, it does contain some spoilers though so be warned if you never played the game before.
So far nothing really new has been shown off yet, which is a bit of a bummer since I would have loved to have seen the artwork from the instruction manual put into the game and maybe one or two new cutscenes like they did with Curious Village HD but oh well.

Game's still gonna be good.

Also, Level-5 seem to really enjoy showing off that the series has sold over 17 million copies, not that I can blame them, its their highest selling game franchise to date, they should be proud. Hopefully that will encourage them to continue supporting the series for a while longer...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Level-5 just released a trailer for Unwound/Lost Future HD, it does contain some spoilers though so be warned if you never played the game before.

So far nothing really new has been shown off yet, which is a bit of a bummer since I would have loved to have seen the artwork from the instruction manual put into the game and maybe one or two new cutscenes like they did with Curious Village HD but oh well.

Also, Level-5 seem to really enjoy showing off that the series has sold over 17 million copies, not that I can blame them, its their highest selling game franchise to date, they should be proud. Hopefully that will encourage them to continue supporting the series for a while longer...
whoa thats the biggest spoiler of all the end of the uk trailer

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

They're still spoiling their mystery games in the trailers huh?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
They're still spoiling their mystery games in the trailers huh?
Yeah I mean, I know that those tend to be the more hype parts in the games, thus making them good trailer material and all, but still...

Guess we don't have to worry too much about any sort of spoilerific restrictions in Layton's moveset from Level-5 if Sakurai where to develop him, not like Sakurai himself cares much about spoilers to begin with or anything.... :zeldamelee::sheikmelee:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
On the bright side, with the first trilogy all officially out, perhaps a Switch collection is in the cards.

By the way, does anyone know how they made the final puzzle in Pandora's Box work on mobile?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah I mean, I know that those tend to be the more hype parts in the games, thus making them good trailer material and all, but still...

Guess we don't have to worry too much about any sort of spoilerific restrictions in Layton's moveset from Level-5 if Sakurai where to develop him, not like Sakurai himself cares much about spoilers to begin with or anything.... :zeldamelee::sheikmelee:
Smash is for people who played the source games, basically. In that sense, it's like Tuesday for Layton. :drshrug:

On the bright side, with the first trilogy all officially out, perhaps a Switch collection is in the cards.

By the way, does anyone know how they made the final puzzle in Pandora's Box work on mobile?
Probably so. While some SKUs were sighted recently, I kind of doubt they'd be related to a series collection specifically. But we'll see.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Who knows, only time will tell I suppose. I think Level-5 is fairly well aware of the demand for a Switch release since their twitter pages are filled with people asking for the HD remasters to be brought over there.

There is a circle that you have to tap on a number of times, I don't remember if that was also there in the original DS version, I do remember spending a lot of time blowing at my phone like a moron in the HD version though...:mad088:

Smash is for people who played the source games, basically. In that sense, it's like Tuesday for Layton. :drshrug:
Actually thinking about it now, their initial tweet is very ironic now considering what they tend to do with their trailers to begin with....

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Anyway, the remaster will finally launch tomorrow, I wish those who are going to play it lots of fun!

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Who knows, only time will tell I suppose. I think Level-5 is fairly well aware of the demand for a Switch release since their twitter pages are filled with people asking for the HD remasters to be brought over there.

There is a circle that you have to tap on a number of times, I don't remember if that was also there in the original DS version, I do remember spending a lot of time blowing at my phone like a moron in the HD version though...:mad088:

Actually thinking about it now, their initial tweet is very ironic now considering what they tend to do with their trailers to begin with....

Anyway, the remaster will finally launch tomorrow, I wish those who are going to play it lots of fun!
"a true gentleman never reveals spoiler"? check your own trailers guys

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Maybe it's their way of assuring people that nothing got leaked compared to what's been happening with some other games recently? Otherwise it's strange that they decided to take up this stance only now.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Eh some people do like their rumours and leaks, even for Layton.

I think its just them having some tongue in cheek fun or something, much like the "Its about time" line at the release date due to how long this remaster took to come out compared to the first two.
anyone else think landon and desmond sycamore look similar, when i first saw the trailer for asrant legacy i thought it was landon. until i saw a pic of him with descole's valet and knew right away who he was

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Eh some people do like their rumours and leaks, even for Layton.

I think its just them having some tongue in cheek fun or something, much like the "Its about time" line at the release date due to how long this remaster took to come out compared to the first two.
Hmmm, that cover art with all the Layton cover looks familiar. Is it on the web?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hmmm, that cover art with all the Layton cover looks familiar. Is it on the web?
Its made by Bonus Level (aka Nattherat on Deviantart)

He made a lot of Layton fan art in the past, often looking pretty close to the original style, certainly worth checking out.

Also, Unwound/Lost Future HD is finally out, have fun everyone!

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
This isn't really relevant to the Unwound Future party going on right now, but can we all take a moment to appreciate Nigel the Butler from Diabolical Box?

Dude spent his whole life in service to the Herzen family, even when everyone else had picked up their stuff and deserted, and never once asked for anything in return
Seeing him reunite with Anton at the end credits, both now as old men, is honestly the most bittersweet moment of them game for me

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This isn't really relevant to the Unwound Future party going on right now, but can we all take a moment to appreciate Nigel the Butler from Diabolical Box?

Dude spent his whole life in service to the Herzen family, even when everyone else had picked up their stuff and deserted, and never once asked for anything in return
Seeing him reunite with Anton at the end credits, both now as old men, is honestly the most bittersweet moment of them game for me
wasnt he meant to be a hallucination as well?

veeflames

Smash Rookie
Direct Mini tomorrow (later today if you live east of the US, essentially).

What are the odds?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
depends what youre referring to
Basically the whole insider and Geno drama and whatnot the past few days insisting that there would be a Direct of some sort very soon.

Guess they where right, I'm not sure wether or not we'll be seeing Layton in this one since whatever they got planned for it was probably meant for E3 before that got cancelled, maybe, but hey, at least we're getting more game info, finally.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
We’re definitely not getting any smash news this direct, since it focuses on already announced third party titles...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
We’re definitely not getting any smash news this direct, since it focuses on already announced third party titles...
Welp... well, perhaps they could at least pull another ARMS and have a teaser from whatever third party company the next character is or something, maybe, probably not, oh well....

Top Bottom