• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'll admit that I do get slightly nervous every day that a new spirit event seems probable to be announced... Like today is...

That said, honestly, I'd take a spirit event over nothing any day.
No worries, its about Horns this time.

Been a while since we last got any new spirits though, things will probably pick up the pace once the ARMS fighter comes out..

Admittedly I do wish they added some new spirits again though, because their fun to collect and it at least gives us something new to talk about.

>Inb4 Monkey Paw karma and the next spirit event is for the Layton series...

Hey so I've been working on this Professor Layton Moveset for about an eternity now and I thought you guys might be interested in having a look.
The Ultimate Professor Layton Moveset. It's basically just a collection of my favorite bits and pieces from everybody else's Moveset.
Oh that's very nice, I'll be happy to add it to the OP if you want.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Been a while since we last got any new spirits though, things will probably pick up the pace once the ARMS fighter comes out..

Admittedly I do wish they added some new spirits again though, because their fun to collect and it at least gives us something new to talk about.

>Inb4 Monkey Paw karma and the next spirit event is for the Layton series...
Yeah, true. It was nice to get new IPs and games represented in Smash in some form in-between character packs dropping. It just hopefully won't be Layton haha.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Rest in Peace, Akira Tago
Thank you for helping shape up a very wonderful series along with Level-5.

What was your favourite puzzle from the original series (or favourite types of puzzles)?

Last edited:

Matthjass

Smash Cadet
NNID
MathsJass
3DS FC
0602-7469-3826
Switch FC
SW 8578 0545 0012
Layton4Smash Layton4Smash Wow that's a gigantic document here... I'm reading it now and it's very well done. And it's cool to see my name in it ! x)

Curious Villager Curious Villager Mmm my personal favorite puzzles are the ones with the sliding blocs even though they can be pretty frustrating at the same time... I also like the sneaky puzzles where we have to think outside of the box, but not when there are too much of them like in Lady Layton. :/

(I don't really post here anymore but I keep reading the thread regularly !)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

What was your favourite puzzle from the original series (or favourite types of puzzles)?
theres so many to remember pick from

amageish

Smash Master

Well, that's a heartbreaking quote...

I'm a big fan of the "Person A says X, Person B says Y, Person C says Z. Who is lying/who is telling the truth/who did the thing?"-type puzzles. They're fan to do via process of elimination.

could we see a level-5 costume on monday?
It's always possible... I assume they'd probably do both a Layton outfit and a Yokai Watch one if Level-5's being Mii-costumed.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, that's a heartbreaking quote...

I'm a big fan of the "Person A says X, Person B says Y, Person C says Z. Who is lying/who is telling the truth/who did the thing?"-type puzzles. They're fan to do via process of elimination.

It's always possible... I assume they'd probably do both a Layton outfit and a Yokai Watch one if Level-5's being Mii-costumed.
Those are pretty fun yeah.

I wonder if one could hypothetically do a Wario Ware style challenge with any of the Layton games and finish puzzles under a certain time limit. Most likely not possible with any of the longer puzzles, but maybe interesting to see how many puzzles can be hypothetically solved in about 5 seconds in every Layton game...

In fact, with challenges like no coin runs in Mario games, three heart runs in Zelda games and nuzlocke runs in Pokemon games, I wonder what kind of custom challenges one could hypothetically do with the Layton games, asides from regular speedruns of course.

well theres usually a mii costume segment
I meant in terms of any costumes related to Level-5.

Where definitely getting a new batch for sure.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I meant in terms of any costumes related to Level-5.

Where definitely getting a new batch for sure.
right, yeah

I'm 99% sure we won't see any Level-5 related costumes. You lot are likely worrying for nothing.
well i was less worrying that we'd get deconfirmed so much as hoping for a little nod to the people who make our favourite prof

amageish

Smash Master
I wonder if one could hypothetically do a Wario Ware style challenge with any of the Layton games and finish puzzles under a certain time limit. Most likely not possible with any of the longer puzzles, but maybe interesting to see how many puzzles can be hypothetically solved in about 5 seconds in every Layton game...

In fact, with challenges like no coin runs in Mario games, three heart runs in Zelda games and nuzlocke runs in Pokemon games, I wonder what kind of custom challenges one could hypothetically do with the Layton games, asides from regular speedruns of course.
Oooo, that would be interesting... A speedrun Warioware-esque experience would be exciting, though obviously challenging to set up without modding the game somehow...

Hm, that's an interesting question. The main tools one has to play with would be picarats and hint coins, but I feel like "No hint coin run" is pretty underwhelming by challenge standards. So would, like, max picarat run... Frankly, both of those are basically just "Play Layton but be harder on yourself when you get stuck," which doesn't sound like a way to increase fun... Um... Anyone else have any ideas?

I'm 99% sure we won't see any Level-5 related costumes. You lot are likely worrying for nothing.
Oh, almost definitely. I mean, I think it's partly just us trying to relate Layton to the larger going-ons of the community haha...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hm, that's an interesting question. The main tools one has to play with would be picarats and hint coins, but I feel like "No hint coin run" is pretty underwhelming by challenge standards. So would, like, max picarat run... Frankly, both of those are basically just "Play Layton but be harder on yourself when you get stuck," which doesn't sound like a way to increase fun... Um... Anyone else have any ideas?
save before each puzzle and soft reset

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oooo, that would be interesting... A speedrun Warioware-esque experience would be exciting, though obviously challenging to set up without modding the game somehow...

Oh, almost definitely. I mean, I think it's partly just us trying to relate Layton to the larger going-ons of the community haha...
Hmm, I don't know if you might be able to mod in a timer within the game to where you have, say, "x amount of time to solve a given puzzle or else you automatically fail, lose picarats and do it over again", Maybe like a "hard mode" for the games where you are on a time crunch to solve each puzzle, or maybe the amount of Picarats you earn gets drained the longer you take, otherwise, you can probably just do that manually by cancelling the puzzle and resetting (asides from maybe some story puzzles where you probably can't do that with certain puzzles)

Probably might be interesting to ask Team Top Hat or anyone savvy with game modding if that might be possible to do...

Last edited:

veeflames

Smash Rookie
Hey so I've been working on this Professor Layton Moveset for about an eternity now and I thought you guys might be interested in having a look.
The Ultimate Professor Layton Moveset. It's basically just a collection of my favorite bits and pieces from everybody else's Moveset.
Haha, this looks like a meaty document. Can't wait to read every single word in here. Thanks for all the effort you put into it!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So with the reveal of Min Min for ARMS, I suppose we have five more chances left.

Heihachi and a Bethesda Mii costume are in as well. Still no sign of any Level-5 content, but I guess it will remain to be seen what will happen next...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So with the reveal of Min Min for ARMS, I suppose we have five more chances left.

Heihachi and a Bethesda Mii costume are in as well. Still no sign of any Level-5 content, but I guess it will remain to be seen what will happen next...
all we can do is wait and see

veeflames

Smash Rookie

Bethesda getting representation in Smash before Level-5 would be the timeline of some alternate, dystopian reality where humans are just recovering from the apocalypse or something....

Wait, what do you mean Bethesda IS getting represented in Smash before Level-5 in this timeline?!

Nah in all seriousness, that was a great presentation. Shame Min Min isn't getting released today though, I was really excited to play the new character, whoever it was gonna be, today. Guess we have to wait a week for that now, though.

So we're back to square one of the... "is this finally it?" cycle, folks. Hey, at least potentially get to go through 5 more of those cycles before we finally give up on all our hopes and dreams in life seeing Professor Layton in Smash Bros. in one way or another. It's exciting, but also exhausting and scary at the same time.

Oh well, all we can do is... wait and see!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well I'm not sure if Layton would be getting a premium Mii costume since they seem to prioritise that for any characters with similar proportions as the Mii fighters themselves.

Though he can still be Heihachi'd I suppose...

Now how many notable companies are currently present and missing? Japanese, Western and Indie I suppose..

Last edited:

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
I like how now that the spirit """rule""" is broken everyone as a spirit before is fair game to make it in now.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Bethesda getting representation in Smash before Level-5 would be the timeline of some alternate, dystopian reality where humans are just recovering from the apocalypse or something....

Wait, what do you mean Bethesda IS getting represented in Smash before Level-5 in this timeline?!
which of our on going apocalypses?

Well I'm not sure if Layton would be getting a premium Mii costume since they seem to prioritise that for any characters with similar proportions as the Mii fighters themselves.

Though he can still be Heihachi'd I suppose...
lets cross that bridge if we come to it

Although there's still a chance Level-5 might get literally nothing...
well smash in no stranger to leaving out things that seem like natural choices to fans *cough*toad*cough*

I like how now that the spirit """rule""" is broken everyone as a spirit before is fair game to make it in now.
doesnt affect us though

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
well smash in no stranger to leaving out things that seem like natural choices to fans
To be fair, there's still a ton of third-party companies out there (especially Western ones), there wouldn't be enough time to fit them all unless Ultimate's DLC development was unlimited. I'm more understanding about that.

Last edited:

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
After given it much more thought, I have to say now that I don't like the twist in Azran Legacy about Descole's and Layton's past.
Yeah it makes sense knowing when we find out who Bronev really is, but honestly when you consider the amount of times Descole tries to kill Layton over the course of the prequel trilogy it makes for bad writing when he protected Layton in the past too.
Then again, the actions by the villains in this series often tend to be OTT.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
After given it much more thought, I have to say now that I don't like the twist in Azran Legacy about Descole's and Layton's past.
Yeah it makes sense knowing when we find out who Bronev really is, but honestly when you consider the amount of times Descole tries to kill Layton over the course of the prequel trilogy it makes for bad writing when he protected Layton in the past too.
just be glad you didnt see a trailer which pretty much told you that plot twist beforehand

ill let it go one day

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
In defense of that twist:

Descole was a person that was very desperate to get revenge on Targent after the organization turned him into an orphan at a young age and murdered his wife & daughter later in his life (the latter is not explicitly stated, but it is heavily implied). Having two unfortunate encounters where Targent destroyed his family like that gave him an idea of how much Targent wants to uncover the Azran's greatest legacy, so he wants to enact his revenge on them by beating to them first.

He is so desperate for revenge that he will resort to whatever means necessary to beat Targent to the Azran Legacy: the fact he was willing to destroy entire towns to have an easier time to find the secret Azran legacies in Last Specter and Miracle Mask and even tried to level an entire island out of rage when his initial plan with Janice didn't work in Eternal Diva shows just how desperate he is to uncover the Azran mysteries because he will do whatever it takes to be one step ahead of Targent.

So where does Layton tie into all of this? Descole most likely viewed Layton as an obstacle that would get in his way of beating Targent to the Azran legacies. I bet he had a feeling that Layton would put his Specter-destroying-the-town plan to an end, and he must had his suspicions that Layton would eventually uncover the Masked Gentleman (who Descole likely used as a means to destroy the town). In Eternal Diva, Descole became even more angry when Layton revealed the former did not play the song correctly and charged at Layton to try and kill him again while saying, "Embrosia is mine and mine alone!"

In the same movie, when Descole seemingly killed Layton as the latter tried to fly towards the former's location, Descole said, "I told you not to get in my way." I haven't thought much about that line prior, but now that I remember it, I think this line perfectly describes how Descole sees Layton before Azran Legacy.

So then why did Descole eventually team up with Layton for the final game? I think Descole's unfortunate encounter with Bronev and the other Targent officers at the Nautillus Chamber of Akbadain must have made him realize that Layton would eventually come into conflict with Targent. Perhaps it was this moment that made Descole realize Targent was trailing him and Layton closer than he thought. Thus, he likely came to the conclusion of "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" and decided to work with Layton to uncover the final mysteries of the Azran with Aurora for the former's own goal, then break away from Layton once the time was right.

There was supposed to be a 2nd Layton movie that was ultimately canceled, and something tells me this movie was likely supposed to take place between Miracle Mask and Azran Legacy. I'd bet it was in that movie where we would have really seen Descole coming to the realization that him and Layton share a common enemy and that they would need to work together for what was to come. Sadly, with that movie cancelled, we never actually see the likely moment when Descole realized what he would need to do in Azran Legacy, and we are just left to assume that epilogue scene in Miracle Mask was Descole's turning point in how he should approach Layton; without that 2nd movie to properly connect the bridge between Miracle Mask and Azran Legacy together, the writers should have added another epilogue cutscene in Miracle Mask that showed Descole coming to this realization.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Route 10, Kass’ Theme, Pasta and now Via Dolce...

so much of the music in ultimate give off that Layton vibe, would love to see what they could do with the series music
Come on Sakurai, don't you notice all these subliminal messages Yoko Shimomura is sending you?
Give us the Prof so she can finally go all out working her magic! :seuss:

I'm assuming that last one is done by her too, probably not but still....

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
nintendo uk's store has got millionaire's conspiracy in a mental well being section, along with captain toad. i found it very pleasing to see those two together

also interesting to note it was the only non nintendo game in the selection

Last edited:

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
I am going to write me a Professor Layton Fanfiction.
I've already got the general gist of the story, it's gonna feature a much older Layton (Late 60's?) after retiring from his post at Gressenheller University, as he finds himself caught up in a revolutionary/civil war where a novelist that helped Layton overcome his grief following
Claire's first Death
is one of the leading figures in the conflict.
Old friends and foes from past games appear, exploring themes like existentialism, determinism vs free will and the importance of hope on the way, as Layton's story arc is brought to a closing finality in his last adventure.

It's going to be called "Professor Layton and The Final Freedom War" although I'm not 100% happy with that title yet. Lacks the Layton title magic.

Anyway, I've gotten in to reading more and more Layton fan content since I found out that the Series has had a few novels that haven't been translated into English yet. Wonder why Level-5 doesn't think it's worth the effort, they could at least just translate them and have them published as E-Books if the cost of paper and Ink deters them from trying it out.

Top Bottom