• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
My personal ship of choice is Emmy x Continued Appearances in the Layton Franchise, but sadly I'm not convinced that one will ever become canon...

please just give me more of my girl, Level-5
Damn this is OTP material, I'll be boarding this ship as well.

C'mon Level-5 give us LMJ-era Emmy, imagine the dramatic potential!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Delving into Layton fanart these past few days, I have to say EmmyxLayton has a few cute fanarts to it

I don't necessarily ship it myself, and I think Layton's only true love is Claire, but yeahhhhhhh stuff like this warms my cold frosty heart.
if you like layton fan art, ive done a little

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If you decide to use the text-to-speech tool for the announcer to say a character's name, just make sure you give 15.ai credit in some way. Their website mentions that regarding credibility.

Also will help promote their popularity for other Smash speculators who brainstorm how their characters would play like in Smash.
Will certainly do.
I tried to experiment a little with the tool myself.

I think having it pronounce Layton as "Llayton" "Llaayton" or "Llaayyton" makes the voice sound more authentic to how the announcer usually pronounces Smash characters, adding a "!" at the end gives it some extra oomph too, give it a try and see what sounds best.

Based on her DeviantArt, she's mostly moved on with the exception of some commission work.

That would be fantastic. I would love something that reunited all the Layton gang in a light, non-canon, slice of life way.

Honestly, I think Layton could make a solid party game collection a la Clubhouse 51. You could reuse the probably-cancelled Layton 7 Mafia-esque game, put in a variety of puzzle games, and maybe some classic games like chess.? Then have various characters from across the franchise be playing the games and providing commentary as you play ("Another piece taken!" in chess and such).... I'd be very happy with that.
Ah I see, that's understandable, hopefully we'll see more art from her and others again if Layton makes it into Smash eventually.

Oh wow, that sounds great indeed, I'm surprised Level-5 never really took much advantage of the boardgame aspect for the series, especially back during its peak of popularity, Having a Layton theme in Clubhouse 51 would be great to see, I think they have a Mario skin for some of the games there already.

A Mario Party esque multiplayer boardgame with Layton characters and puzzles might be an interesting spin off game to see one day...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Oh wow, that sounds great indeed, I'm surprised Level-5 never really took much advantage of the boardgame aspect for the series, especially back during its peak of popularity, Having a Layton theme in Clubhouse 51 would be great to see, I think they have a Mario skin for some of the games there already.

A Mario Party esque multiplayer boardgame with Layton characters and puzzles might be an interesting spin off game to see one day...
Yeah, definitely. I guess Layton 7 was kind of their shot at that, but I do not know how they were planning on making it work, as it sounds like it was a single-player version of Mafia which... Well, that kind of takes away the point of a deception game?

Some sort of Mario Party clone would be a lot of fun. I am kind of surprised Level-5 hasn't really tried to do much franchising with Layton outside of mobile games and movies/TV... It sounds like an relatively-easy way to get people excited about the brand.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah, definitely. I guess Layton 7 was kind of their shot at that, but I do not know how they were planning on making it work, as it sounds like it was a single-player version of Mafia which... Well, that kind of takes away the point of a deception game?

Some sort of Mario Party clone would be a lot of fun. I am kind of surprised Level-5 hasn't really tried to do much franchising with Layton outside of mobile games and movies/TV... It sounds like an relatively-easy way to get people excited about the brand.
Level-5 has always been quite conservative with the Layton IP for some reason, especially compared to Yo-Kai Watch and Inazuma Eleven.

Like it took us over a decade to finally get an anime for the series (Which has yet to be localised asides from a country or two.) And the series still only has one movie. Granted they where planning to do one more movie in the prequel saga and a life action movie that both got cancelled, and I think Hino stated that he was still interested in doing another Layton movie in a 2017 interview if I recall.

I mean, not that I condone them milking the franchise for all its worth, but since they went all out with Yo-Kai Watch and Inazuma Eleven in terms of franchising, It's a bit odd that they have been more conservative with the Layton brand in comparison, especially since its apparently still their highest selling game franchise at 17 million as of 2018 if I recall, not sure in terms of media franchise though...

Perhaps it may have been because Layton was the first IP they self published and weren't as sure on its potential success so they couldn't prepare stuff like a tv show on time once they found out the series was a huge success, but afterwards came in with guns blazing and full confidence with their later IP's afterwards (Which then later backfired hard on them with Snack World...)

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Level-5 has always been quite conservative with the Layton IP for some reason, especially compared to Yo-Kai Watch and Inazuma Eleven.

Like it took us over a decade to finally get an anime for the series (Which has yet to be localised asides from a country or two.) And the series still only has one movie. Granted they where planning to do one more movie in the prequel saga and a life action movie that both got cancelled, and I think Hino stated that he was still interested in doing another Layton movie in a 2017 interview if I recall.

I mean, not that I condone them milking the franchise for all its worth, but since they went all out with Yo-Kai Watch and Inazuma Eleven in terms of franchising, It's a bit odd that they have been more conservative with the Layton brand in comparison, especially since its apparently still their highest selling game franchise at 17 million as of 2018 if I recall, not sure in terms of media franchise though...

Perhaps it may have been because Layton was the first IP they self published and weren't as sure on its potential success so they couldn't prepare stuff like a tv show on time once they found out the series was a huge success, but afterwards came in with guns blazing and full confidence with their later IP's afterwards (Which then later backfired hard on them with Snack World...)
Yeah, that's very true. I wonder if they treat it special due to it being one of their original IPs? Like, they see it too sacred to mess with?

I missed the memo that there was a planned live-action movie, but I do recall the "Puzzle 02" second movie teaser. It's unfortunate that never came to fruition, though the anime series is a great alternative - or at least it would be if it was easily accessible worldwide...

Yeaaaaaah, you'd think they'd stick with the safe-ish bets for their more elaborate game reveals. Snack World, sadly, did not fundamentally reshape the games industry.

i completely forgot about that one
And nobody can blame you. I think the people developing forgot about it too, given how long it's been with no mention of it.

amageish

Smash Master
was it ever even released?
Nope. It was normally formally cancelled either. It just has vanished entirely since 2015. I doubt it's happening anymore, but it does seem that it had some development time overlap with Layton's Mystery Journey, so that game existing and being what people actually wanted probably isn't the only cause for cancellation.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Nope. It was normally formally cancelled either. It just has vanished entirely since 2015. I doubt it's happening anymore, but it does seem that it had some development time overlap with Layton's Mystery Journey, so that game existing and being what people actually wanted probably isn't the only cause for cancellation.
how bizarre, oh well it didnt look great anyway

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah, that's very true. I wonder if they treat it special due to it being one of their original IPs? Like, they see it too sacred to mess with?

I missed the memo that there was a planned live-action movie, but I do recall the "Puzzle 02" second movie teaser. It's unfortunate that never came to fruition, though the anime series is a great alternative - or at least it would be if it was easily accessible worldwide...

Yeaaaaaah, you'd think they'd stick with the safe-ish bets for their more elaborate game reveals. Snack World, sadly, did not fundamentally reshape the games industry.

And nobody can blame you. I think the people developing forgot about it too, given how long it's been with no mention of it.
I don't know, from what I could look up, Eternal Diva apparently didn't do as well as the first Inazuma Eleven and Yo-Kai Watch movies, but I could only find info on Japanese box office sales and all, Still kind of impressive that Eternal Diva was only behind the first Inazuma Eleven movie by about $1 million despite the lack of multimedia support..
Hino's statement in looking into doing another Layton movie and receiving offers to do another should hopefully lead us to seeing another movie eventually though.

I think those two movies where announced at the same time, but only the next animated movie had a teaser shown for it. Not sure how that would have panned out considering the quirky looking characters of the series. It might have looked a bit like the Japanese Elysian Box commercials though, which also starred Layton's Japanese voice actor as Layton.

Level-5 was just getting cocky with Snack World, they where pretty much banking on that game to become the next Layton, Inazuma Eleven and Yo-Kai Watch but things just backfired badly for the company when it didn't do as well...

Layton 7 was another that kind of just disappeared without a trace, I remember it receiving quite a bit of backlash initially when it was first revealed, it received one last showing a year or so later before dropping off the face of the earth entirely.
Layton Brothers received a similar type of backlash initially but people warmed up to it after it came out, it took a while before we saw the game and Alfendi again though, even if just a little bit...

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Some cool concept art. Really thankful that the official account is still churning out trivia
The day the Layton series Twitter page becomes inactive again will be a sad day indeed...

Honestly its interesting that their still going despite the rest of Level-5 being under quite the lull lately..

Oh also, speaking of Level-5 and things going for a surprisingly long time...

>When you realise that we've gone about a year and a half without seeing any content owned by Level-5 whatsoever in Smash Ultimate up to this point.

How did we do it?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The day the Layton series Twitter page becomes inactive again will be a sad day indeed...

Honestly its interesting that their still going despite the rest of Level-5 being under quite the lull lately..

Oh also, speaking of Level-5 and things going for a surprisingly long time...

>When you realise that we've gone about a year and a half without seeing any content owned by Level-5 whatsoever in Smash Ultimate up to this point.

How did we do it?
listening to hype music to keep our spirits up?

amageish

Smash Master
For anyone that is interested, the US version of LMJ Deluxe is on sale today.
I find it kind of funny this is phrased in the usual "Did You Know?" trivia format. "Did you know? You can give us money in exchange for video games! That's your Layton history for tonight."

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
>When you have a puzzle in a puzzle.

I don't remember this one though and where it was found...

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
its a weekly puzzle from what i can tell, and the logic of the answer seems a little off
Oh right, forgot about the weekly puzzles, it probably was one of those yeah.

Also, Hino gave a message in regards to COVID-19

Its good to know they've taken measures as well to prevent the spread.
I'm not sure if we will be hearing much from Level-5 this year but its good that they're staying safe as well.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh right, forgot about the weekly puzzles, it probably was one of those yeah.

Also, Hino gave a message in regards to COVID-19

Its good to know they've taken measures as well to prevent the spread.
I'm not sure if we will be hearing much from Level-5 this year but its good that they're staying safe as well.
good to know theyre staying safe

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Knowing them, we'll get the next update on their current situation when Fall starts. It's a wonder they took so long just to make this kind of statement.
tbf they did talk about some of the changes they where doing in response to the pandemic a few months prior, but I think this one is a full statement from the CEO himself as far as I'm aware.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
you know level has a bit more evidence that SE is not stingy with FF
Level-5 and Square have always been close buddies with each other as far as I know, presumably due to their history with Dragon Quest. :ulthero2:

There are some Final Fantasy characters in that one Yo-Kai Watch spin off game as well right?

amageish

Smash Master
Daily reminder that once Hino and the FFXIV people were drinking together and they drunkingly joked about bringing back the Yo-Kai Watch event, then it actually happened.

I don't always have good things to say about how much personal power Hino has maintained over Level-5, but the fact these kind of things can happen with a 4+ billion dollars franchise like Yo-Kai Watch is hilarious.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Level-5 and Square have always been close buddies with each other as far as I know, presumably due to their history with Dragon Quest. :ulthero2:

There are some Final Fantasy characters in that one Yo-Kai Watch spin off game as well right?
there was also a collab for the yo-kai watch game where about 20 characters from dissdia as yo-kai (same one with layton and kat)

Layton4Smash

Smash Rookie
I created this account LITERALLY just to support this thread. The gentleman has all my support for smash bros and with 5 more unknown characters coming, I feel he might have a chance. For now I just have to stick with my mii Swordfighter :ultswordfighter:

amageish

Smash Master
there was also a collab for the yo-kai watch game where about 20 characters from dissdia as yo-kai (same one with layton and kat)
I knew this, but hadn't seen Mooglenyan before. That, uh, is a mildly terrifying design.

I created this account LITERALLY just to support this thread. The gentleman has all my support for smash bros and with 5 more unknown characters coming, I feel he might have a chance. For now I just have to stick with my mii Swordfighter :ultswordfighter:
Welcome aboard! Impressive dedication with the name and profile picture combination. Very respectable! I should probably update my profile picture to make it less of a hodgepodge sometime...

We'll see about his odds. I think most of us here are in agreement that he'll likely be in the game in some form, be it spirit event, Mii costume, or playable character.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hey welcome to Smashboards Layton4Smash!
I've added you to the supporters list, welcome on board and I hope to see you around!

We'll see about his odds. I think most of us here are in agreement that he'll likely be in the game in some form, be it spirit event, Mii costume, or playable character.
Yeah we'll probably see something from Level-5 sooner or later eventually. Its a bit odd that we've gone for this long without seeing anything from them though...

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
I am actually a bit scared for the ARMS presentation. I feel like we could get Level-5 costumes with the ARMS rep, just like Ubisoft costumes came with Byleth. If there are Level-5 costumes there, then I'm willing to bet Layton isn't coming back.

It's still weird. Level-5 still doesn't have any Smash content at all, despite being one of the big Japanese developers and a good buddy of Nintendo.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I am actually a bit scared for the ARMS presentation. I feel like we could get Level-5 costumes with the ARMS rep, just like Ubisoft costumes came with Byleth. If there are Level-5 costumes there, then I'm willing to bet Layton isn't coming back.

It's still weird. Level-5 still doesn't have any Smash content at all, despite being one of the big Japanese developers and a good buddy of Nintendo.
There will probably be another premium costume at least, probably from another indie game or a character that can fit well with a mii fighter proportions wise like Sans and Cuphead. As well as a couple returning costumes from Smash 4.

But yeah, coming from a Nintendo franchise, there is probably going to be another random assortment of mii costumes again over being themed around the franchise (Plus with the Spring Man and Ribbon Girl costumes already present)

I don't know if we will be seeing anything from Level-5 in this batch but I suppose only time will tell...

amageish

Smash Master
really? i thought he was kinda cute, he and chocobonyan were both part of my team
I really like Chocobonyan, but I find the Moogle variant to be a bit offputting in how they smashed the designs together.

I'll admit that I do get slightly nervous every day that a new spirit event seems probable to be announced... Like today is...

That said, honestly, I'd take a spirit event over nothing any day.

Top Bottom