• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hmm, I wonder what character could represent Layton if he where to be a spirit...
Probably Mario in his wedding outfit since that's the only one with a top hat. Probably equipped wth a beam sword and Dr Kawashima as a hostile Assist Trophy.

If their going to spirit them, hopefully they will squeeze in as much as they can. Maybe have Layton & Luke together, Katrielle with Sherl & Ernest, Alfendi with Lucy etc. Might be too cluttery though....

amageish

Smash Master
If Fire Emblem had to be included into Smash Kart, they should be represented by Sigurd from Genealogy of the Holy War since he is a horse lord.
Hopefully Genealogy would have a remake before that happens, as otherwise it'd probably confuse a lot of people. I'd be cool if they picked a FE character not already playable in Smash though.

Anyway back to Layton and Level-5, i've been mentally preparing for a Layton spirit event, but I thought it might be fun to theorize what all the level-5 franchises would have for spirit events.

Spirit events ususally have 4 spirits, so for Professor Layton I'd have Layton, Luke, Katrielle and Descole as spirits. What would y'all chose for Layton spirits and what would you chose for Inazuma Eleven, Yo-Kai Watch, Ni No Kuni, and Snack World spirits?
Layton = Mii Swordfighter with a Top Hat. Dr Kawashima and the Badge Arcade Bunnies as ATs to represent puzzles. I feel like more is needed to make it harder, but I don't know what.
Luke = Ness in his 7th blue alt. Maybe have Duck Hunt or some hostile ATS/Pokemon appear during the battle as a reference to Luke's affinity with animals?
Katrielle = Robin in their 6th female yellow alt. Maybe have someone turn up representing Ernest and Duck Hunt turn up referencing Sherl?
Descole = Um. Wario in one of his biker forms? Then something turns up to represent one of the contraptions; I don't know what and for which one...

I can't say I know the other Level-5 franchises enough to feel confident in making spirit elections, but I'd hope a Yo-Kai Watch board would exclusively use Pokemon as the characters for max monster-collecting.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
, but I'd hope a Yo-Kai Watch board would exclusively use Pokemon as the characters for max monster-collecting.
Oof... That would probably sting for some Yo-kai Watch fans (and probably Level-5 as well) that have been trying to avoid the Pokemon comparisons for a while now.

Although its hard to see any other character but Incineroar as the perfect stand in for Jibanyan though... :ultincineroar:

The gen 7 games and anime where way too obviously influenced by Yo-kai Watch.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I can't say I know the other Level-5 franchises enough to feel confident in making spirit elections, but I'd hope a Yo-Kai Watch board would exclusively use Pokemon as the characters for max monster-collecting.
i think theres plenty of other characters thatd work so id hope theyd see it that way, mind you there were spirit character choices that didnt make sense, like baby peach having tiny isabelle instead of tiny peach

The gen 7 games and anime where way too obviously influenced by Yo-kai Watch.
cant say it ever felt like that for me

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
cant say it ever felt like that for me
> A ghost guide
> A brawling fire cat starter
> A larger emphasis on dances with the Z-moves
> Anime takes a more slice of life approach after predominantly being about travelling in the past
> Anime also started taking a larger emphasis on comedy and exaggerated expressions

Among some others that may have slipped by mind.

There were definitely some influences here and there, especially noticeable in the Pokemon anime.
Yo-Kai Watch was particularly popular in Japan during that time period, one of the games apparently even outsold one of the Pokemon games, as well as its anime overall doing better than Pokemon's anime.

The Pokemon Company where definitely taking some notes until Pokemon Go took the world by storm. Then they started focusing on that audience.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
> A ghost guide
> A brawling fire cat starter
> A larger emphasis on dances with the Z-moves
> Anime takes a more slice of life approach after predominantly being about travelling in the past
> Anime also started taking a larger emphasis on comedy and exaggerated expressions

Among some others that may have slipped by mind.

There were definitely some influences here and there, especially noticeable in the Pokemon anime.
Yo-Kai Watch was particularly popular in Japan during that time period, one of the games apparently even outsold one of the Pokemon games, as well as its anime overall doing better than Pokemon's anime.

The Pokemon Company where definitely taking some notes until Pokemon Go took the world by storm. Then they started focusing on that audience.
well not sure about the cat thing, i mean incenroars whole thing is a wrestler while jibanyan is just a basic cat
the dancing i think was due to the hwaian influences
still done very differently
isnt that just a general anime thing?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
well not sure about the cat thing, i mean incenroars whole thing is a wrestler while jibanyan is just a basic cat
the dancing i think was due to the hwaian influences
still done very differently
isnt that just a general anime thing?
I'm not sure, seems like way too many things to just all be a mere coincidence but alright...

Speaking of copying, Pokémon's latest copycat has gotten a fair bit of success.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...essful_its_servers_are_crumbling_under_demand
Oh, wasn't that platypus thing in one of those Pokemon leaks?

amageish

Smash Master
Oof... That would probably sting for some Yo-kai Watch fans (and probably Level-5 as well) that have been trying to avoid the Pokemon comparisons for a while now.
True, and I don't mean to claim the franchises are identical or that similar beyond the broad monster-collection genre, but I also think it'd be cute to see a themed spirit event in that sort of 1:1 way... Granted, I don't know what fighter would be used for Whisper, who seems like an obligatory choice...

Now bring over the third game to IOS/Android so I can cry in HD...
Still waiting to find out why the Twitter account has become so chatty lately...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
True, and I don't mean to claim the franchises are identical or that similar beyond the broad monster-collection genre, but I also think it'd be cute to see a themed spirit event in that sort of 1:1 way... Granted, I don't know what fighter would be used for Whisper, who seems like an obligatory choice...

Still waiting to find out why the Twitter account has become so chatty lately...
Probably white Kirby could work for Whisper. Or maybe Pac-Man just for the irony...
I think Rosalina would work very well for Blizzaria.

Apparently the Layton Twitter page is being run by the same guy who did the Sonic twitter, or so I've heard, I don't know if that's true. Kind of odd if it is...

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
L5 having tardy practices as of late could be a blessing in disguise, if they're too busy working on games for negotiations related to spirit events. I could be wrong though, but we'll have to see as the year develops.
I suppose we'll have to wait and see what developments will occur as the year goes by. Level-5 is in such a weird position right now that its hard to tell what will happen. I doubt they will be completely missing out on any content throughout Ultimate's entire DLC lifespan so I don't think them being busy with their current games will effect them much, I guess only time will tell...

Actually, what was the timeframe between that one Cuphead Smash interview and November? Might be interesting to know.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Probably white Kirby could work for Whisper. Or maybe Pac-Man just for the irony...
I think Rosalina would work very well for Blizzaria.

Apparently the Layton Twitter page is being run by the same guy who did the Sonic twitter, or so I've heard, I don't know if that's true. Kind of odd if it is...
i would think kirby's the best suited for whisper and rosalina for blizzaria, though they may use ice climbers. ice climbers would also make sense for the komas, or maybe isabelle

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You know, for as oddly quiet as Level-5 has been with the Layton series (or really in general I suppose) They've done more between the downtime of LMJ and now compared to the gap between Azran Legacy and LMJ.

I think the only thing they did between that was the release of the official World of Professor Layton fanbook and that weird Layton 7 game that seemingly died as quickly as it was revealed...

Between LMJ and now we've finally got an anime started for the Layton series, 2 HD remasters on android/IOS and a Switch port, and Level-5 doing some activities in Japan. And now the Layton series Twitter page has also become very chatty lately.

I think if anything, even if they don't have anything to announce at the moment, they are at least trying to keep the series in the public eye for now, which is a good sign in that they still intend to do more with the series in the future rather than having it fade into obscurity...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, Puyo Puyo is getting an event next month.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...tream_next_month_will_share_24_pieces_of_news

Now, I don't expect a Smash reveal to happen, since Smash reveals seldom happen outside of E3 or a Direct of some sort, and even then the event is more for games in general (:ultjoker:), but one fan work that caught my attention from this flavor-of-the-week buzz is this one:

As unlikely as most of this is, it's nice to see someone go "why not both?".

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I wouldn't really expect Arle to be announced for Smash in that event. Much like we didn't get Phoenix in that Ace Attorney thing from a while back. Character announcements tend to be reserved more in regards to Nintendo or Smash Directs. No Indie Directs either which would be a terrible move in of its own...

But hey, nice to see someone rooting for both Layton and Jibanyan, although I have seen some people pushing to see any playable Level-5 character in general.

I did think of a small teaser they could do at the end of Layton's trailer where Jibanyan could creep from a corner or so. Though other than Dark Pit in Palutena's trailer, Sakurai doesn't do much teasers for upcoming fighters in Smash, or at least none that I can recall...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I did think of a small teaser they could do at the end of Layton's trailer where Jibanyan could creep from a corner or so. Though other than Dark Pit in Palutena's trailer, Sakurai doesn't do much teasers for upcoming fighters in Smash, or at least none that I can recall...
people see them all the time even when theyre not there, like the chairs and what have you

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean actual teases, not mirage's where people see what they want to see.... :4villagerf:
We haven't had any legitimate teases in ages, if you ignore the binary finger count thing. Just encouraging not to blind-buy.

There are blatant hints, but only in CTR Nitro-Fueled right now, yet people tend to be quick to assume those don't mean anything. It feels to me like Ultimate and Nitro-Fueled's speculation scenes are funhouse mirror versions of each other.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master

As unlikely as most of this is, it's nice to see someone go "why not both?".
Double-Level-5-ing would be awesome if it happened. I don't know how advisable it'd be to announce them one after each other at the end of the pass, but it'd be cool! Plus, like, can we have a worse salt-storm then the one we just had?

I imagine that there would be a considerable gap between their reveals, as we're probably spacing the final 3 across 2021... Sakurai only really likes to tease things if they're being announced like 5 seconds later, if that can even be counted as teasing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I imagine that there would be a considerable gap between their reveals, as we're probably spacing the final 3 across 2021... Sakurai only really likes to tease things if they're being announced like 5 seconds later, if that can even be counted as teasing.
Not really, it's a bait and switch. He likes to do those a lot, example:

Smash Bros. is a game about Nintendo characters fighting each other. The end. Just kidding!

He never lingers very long on jerking people's expectations since he knows about fandom trends and silliness and is a jokester at heart, yet folks insist that he's a master planner that puts hints everywhere we look in the game, or in Directs.

Double-Level-5-ing would be awesome if it happened. I don't know how advisable it'd be to announce them one after each other at the end of the pass, but it'd be cool! Plus, like, can we have a worse salt-storm then the one we just had?
We can at least expect it no matter what happens.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Not really, it's a bait and switch. He likes to do those a lot, example:

Smash Bros. is a game about Nintendo characters fighting each other. The end. Just kidding!

He never lingers very long on jerking people's expectations since he knows about fandom trends and silliness and is a jokester at heart, yet folks insist that he's a master planner that puts hints everywhere we look in the game, or in Directs.

We can at least expect it no matter what happens.

or maybe he just does what he wants

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
In terms of bait-and-switch, we can all agree that a Layton reveal would look like a trailer for a new Layton game, right?
Considering Curious Village HD still hasn't been ported to the Switch yet, they could do a sort of recreation of that game's first cutscene, making the viewer assume that they are just porting the remaster to the Switch until you see Ness instead of Luke sitting next to Layton inside the automobile.

I'd imagine that that would work best in a regular Direct where people would expect it the least.

Considering the worst people did to a character like Terry was just a simple "who?" there is no where else to go but up now that we've gotten the obligatory Fire Emblem character out of the way. And I'd imagine most people probably expect a Sword & Shield mon to appear in the next pass due to this anyway.

As for the prospect of two Level-5 characters revealed back to back, I don't know, I'd imagine it would only bother those who deeply follow the idea of "company reps" but asides from that, Layton and Jibanyan are very distinct from each other in terms of what they offer so I'd imagine most people would be fine with their inclusions. Especially since Level-5 doesn't even have any content that they own in the game so far to begin with.

Though as with any character, some will be happy, others will be mad, its the par of the course I suppose..
I doubt this would get them more dislikes than Nintendo Switch Online though...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
In terms of bait-and-switch, we can all agree that a Layton reveal would look like a trailer for a new Layton game, right?
I can't imagine it being any other way, honestly. It's a franchise where almost all the stories open with a letter being received and/or sent. It's hard to think of an easier set-up...

As for the prospect of two Level-5 characters revealed back to back, I don't know, I'd imagine it would only bother those who deeply follow the idea of "company reps" but asides from that, Layton and Jibanyan are very distinct from each other in terms of what they offer so I'd imagine most people would be fine with their inclusions. Especially since Level-5 doesn't even have any content that they own in the game so far to begin with.
That is very true. It's hard to compare a collect-those-mascots RPG to a puzzle VN series. I feel like it would be mildly suspicious if they did one without the other getting non-playable representation, but that may just be me...

id imagine so, i just hope they dont just recreate a scene and randomly replace words with smash again
I mean, let's be honest, it would be pretty hilarious if they were recreating a tense scene from a Layton game a la Byleth's trailer...

Layton: Isn't it obvious... If there is any criminal element, involved with this case, then it is... Not of importance to me, as I have a Smash invite now, BYE!
[Layton runs off, leaving everyone he had gathered looking confused]

JK. I think it worked very well for Byleth, given how they clearly knew everyone would know its Byleth right away and wanted to showcase the weapon diversity in the climax of the trailer, but I think the Professor would need a slower burn of a reveal.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean, let's be honest, it would be pretty hilarious if they were recreating a tense scene from a Layton game a la Byleth's trailer...

Layton: Isn't it obvious... If there is any criminal element, involved with this case, then it is... Not of importance to me, as I have a Smash invite now, BYE!

JK. I think it worked very well for Byleth, given how they clearly knew everyone would know its Byleth right away and wanted to showcase the weapon diversity in the climax of the trailer, but I think the Professor would need a slower burn of a reveal.
well to be fair it wasnt that hard to work out seeing as it pretty much started on him, but the changes in dialogue and shift in sothis' personality made me cringe

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I can't imagine it being any other way, honestly. It's a franchise where almost all the stories open with a letter being received and/or sent. It's hard to think of an easier set-up...

That is very true. It's hard to compare a collect-those-mascots RPG to a puzzle VN series. I feel like it would be mildly suspicious if they did one without the other getting non-playable representation, but that may just be me...

Yeah letters are pretty much the main bread and butter of the start of every Layton game (Besides the whole "this stuff isn't intended to reflect the real world" disclaimer a little earlier)

Heck the one in Curious Village practically resembles a Smash invitation to begin with.

I guess it would remain to be seen, but yeah it would be odd to see the one, but not the other, kind of like how the Heihachi mii costume was oddly missing from the fighting game mii costume lineup with Terry.

Hmm, I don't know if they should drag out his reveal for too long, especially if its obvious from the start that its related to Smash, the whole "not actual gameplay footage" disclaimers don't really help much either I suppose...

I think something that just misleads the viewer would work out just fine. Though if they do anything, at the very least I hope they get Level-5 to animate the full trailer. Layton just ain't Layton without its iconic animated cutscenes.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah letters are pretty much the main bread and butter of the start of every Layton game (Besides the whole "this stuff isn't intended to reflect the real world" disclaimer a little earlier)

Heck the one in Curious Village practically resembles a Smash invitation to begin with.
Yes, true. That is a spitting image. In fact, they may want to be careful whenever they announce the next Layton game, as if they had a normal announcement where Layton gets a red-stamped envelope... People would hype prematurely haha.

I think something that just misleads the viewer would work out just fine. Though if they do anything, at the very least I hope they get Level-5 to animate the full trailer. Layton just ain't Layton without its iconic animated cutscenes.
I'd be kind of surprised if they didn't get the actual studio to the animation, given how Joker's trailer was the way it was... Granted, I don't know if the budget is going to be smaller for this next set of DLC or not...

Also... Um...

So, uh, is it just me, or is the discussion in the UK about Big Ben chiming for Brexit weirdly reminisent of the first case in LMJ? Especially as that case explicitly has a Brexit joke in it...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yes, true. That is a spitting image. In fact, they may want to be careful whenever they announce the next Layton game, as if they had a normal announcement where Layton gets a red-stamped envelope... People would hype prematurely haha.

I'd be kind of surprised if they didn't get the actual studio to the animation, given how Joker's trailer was the way it was... Granted, I don't know if the budget is going to be smaller for this next set of DLC or not...

Also... Um...

So, uh, is it just me, or is the discussion in the UK about Big Ben chiming for Brexit weirdly reminisent of the first case in LMJ? Especially as that case explicitly has a Brexit joke in it...
nah its just reminiscent of stupidity

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If the Smash staff really was concerned about that kind of thing, we wouldn't have gotten :ultjoker:'s trailer then. :4pacman:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If the Smash staff really was concerned about that kind of thing, we wouldn't have gotten :ultjoker:'s trailer then. :4pacman:
I think Amageish was referring to Level-5.

Although that letter was from Curious Village, which came out years before Smash started using red sealed letters for its trailers and all.

Speaking of which....

He's in!
Smash letter.png

....maybe one day...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think Amageish was referring to Level-5.

Although that letter was from Curious Village, which came out years before Smash started using red sealed letters for its trailers and all.

Speaking of which....
Since I somehow came off as unnecessarily vague (again), I meant to say that the moment that Joker's trailer was shown, people immediately thought it'd be about a new Persona 5 spin-off or port. They hyped prematurely when that happened, without noticing the "Not actual gameplay footage".

So I'm pretty sure the staff have zero issues doing essentially the same thing again. Having bait and switches is a time honored tradition for this series by now. :ultkirby::ultrosalina:The Mario Kart staff will never branch out past first-party series, I know it.

At least in this hpothetical case, Layton is lower-key enough that the layman wouldn't really suspect that the trailer has anything to do with Nintendo properties, especially with the relative lack of first-party releases at the moment.

Last edited:

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
Curious Villager Curious Villager that Cuphead interview was way back in March, so a good eight months.

As for Layton trailer, I honestly don't know what they'd do, a lot of the suspense in these trailers gets wrecked by the Smash logo they almost always include at the start of them. I could see it being set up as a movie where Layton solves the mystery that reveals the letter. You know how the movie starts with Layton and Luke finishing off that puzzle with the cogs in Big Ben - it would be like that.

Top Bottom