• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

amageish

Smash Master
Level-5 doesn't have much of a history with leaks do they? Closest thing I can recall is probably the rumour of Curious Village HD coming to Switch but who knows when that comes to pass. I suppose there was also the ESRB confirmation of LMJ Deluxe coming to the west but that one was kind of a no brainer, still it counts I suppose.

I don't really know much about the history with Atlus and SNK and the rumours/leaks they have dealt with in the past. It seems to be a common thing with Nintendo, Square Enix and I think Namco though.
I mean, Level-5, SNK, and ATLUS all share one big thing in common: They're relatively-small companies then Square Enix or Microsoft. Level-5 has like ~300 employees, while SNK and ATLUS have ~200. Slightly less then the thousands working for Microsoft, Square Enix, and Nintendo...

Honestly, we just don't know. Just stall for time until two Thursdays from now. We're going nowhere fast thinking about this.
Has there been any actual confirmation of a TGA reveal? Like, has it been endorsed by Sabi or Verge or someone?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I mean, Level-5, SNK, and ATLUS all share one big thing in common: They're relatively-small companies then Square Enix or Microsoft. Level-5 has like ~300 employees, while SNK and ATLUS have ~200. Slightly less then the thousands working for Microsoft, Square Enix, and Nintendo...
Wow.... people weren't kidding when they say that Gamefreak is severely understaffed....

amageish

Smash Master
Not yet. I don't think we'll hear of anything until the very day the event happens. All we can infer from so far is the VGAs' Twitter account bringing up the Joker reveal twice.
Fair... I suppose we can hope VRPlant gives out some info the day before or something... As for the VGA tweets, they've been tweeting a lot of highlights and I'm not especially surprised that Joker is one of the main ones. It was a big moment and Smash-related content on internet does well.

Wow.... people weren't kidding when they say that Gamefreak is severely understaffed....
I mean, do keep in mind that ATLUS and SNK divide themselves into more teams then Game Freak does (ex/ Persona 5 was made by ~70 people), but still.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I mean, do keep in mind that ATLUS and SNK divide themselves into more teams then Game Freak does (ex/ Persona 5 was made by ~70 people), but still.
I mean, sure, they have an A and B team and whatnot but still. Expecting them to release games annually as well as doing side projects like Town, Harmo Knight and Drill Dozer probably takes a toll.

And people expected Breath of the Wild tier games from them once the series hit the Switch....

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
you should. join us. join us.

or join me it seems
Honestly, I'm kind of surprised that Yokai Watch support hasn't managed to take off as much here on Smashboards, it seems to be doing quite alright everywhere else. At least, from what I've seen around.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly, I'm kind of surprised that Yokai Watch support hasn't managed to take off as much here on Smashboards, it seems to be doing quite alright everywhere else. At least, from what I've seen around.
Well, you know how tunnel-visioned some parts of SB tend to be. :ultpiranha: didn't even have a thread at all until after its reveal, and :ultjoker: just had underground support early on.

Also, any collectable creature series that isn't Pokémon is dismissed/ignored at best, shunned at worst.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That’s good to know, I’ve really fallen in love with the series

Well, you know how tunnel-visioned some parts of SB tend to be. :ultpiranha: didn't even have a thread at all until after its reveal, and :ultjoker: just had underground support early on.
To be fair they had fan rules against them more than anything

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The main thing that hurts Jibanyan support here is that fans somehow think random specific Pokémon stand more of a chance than Jibanyan or Agumon, despite the fact that recent Pokémon picks are promotional at best and there's no guarantee of them being chosen at all, let alone in this cycle.

Meanwhile, Digimon and Yokai Watch fans know exactly who to choose and focus entirely on them.

It's looking to be a definite case of The Tortoise and the Hare, here.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Also, any collectable creature series that isn't Pokémon is dismissed/ignored at best, shunned at worst.
I don't think tunnel vision is the reason why the potted plant didn't have a thread.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The main thing that hurts Jibanyan support here is that fans somehow think random specific Pokémon stand more of a chance than Jibanyan or Agumon, despite the fact that recent Pokémon picks are promotional at best and there's no guarantee of them being chosen at all, let alone in this cycle.

Meanwhile, Digimon and Yokai Watch fans know exactly who to choose and focus entirely on them.

Well let’s not put anything past sakurai

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think tunnel vision is the reason why the potted plant didn't have a thread.
Well sure, but even Hammer Brother had more supporters than it did.

Well let’s not put anything past sakurai
To be fair, it's not exactly reasonable to expect most of literally hundreds of Pokémon to get in here.

There are still people that want Grovyle and Deoxys to this day.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
To be fair, it's not exactly reasonable to expect most of literally hundreds of Pokémon to get in here.

There are still people that want Grovyle and Deoxys to this day.
It isn’t but popularity hasn’t been sakurai main reason for including the last couple Pokemon

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It isn’t but popularity hasn’t been sakurai main reason for including the last couple Pokemon
Gameplay reasons, mainly. The fact that they happened to be Pokémon with particular focus in the anime wound up being a pretty big coincidence.

However, I still don't think specific fan-wish Pokémon will get picked anyway, which is why the Lycanroc thread is depressing to read to me. We haven't had a non-starter since Brawl (yes, I know Pokémon Trainer was in that game, but still).

Hammer Bro is an AT and has eyes and limbs.
I mean in the context of pre-Ultimate.

Oh never mind, not many understand what I say here anyway.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That’s good to know, I’ve really fallen in love with the series

To be fair they had fan rules against them more than anything
I saw this reference and I thought it was wholesome.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Which game should I start with?

Hmm yeah I think the community here is a tad more Nintendo centric I suppose, or perhaps looking more towards the bigger and more famous gaming franchises out there or whatever is considered more "realistic". I suppose in places like Twitter and whatnot, you're more free to dream and probably encounter more fellow fans around.

Was never quite fond of the whole monster collector genre gatekeeping that tends to come around with a number of Pokemon fans though, it tends to happen quite often and sometimes hinder the potential growth of certain franchises at that.

I'm personally quite tired of Pokemon these day's so I wouldn't mind seeing a new monster collector game character get the spotlight in Smash for once I suppose.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Gameplay reasons, mainly. The fact that they happened to be Pokémon with particular focus in the anime wound up being a pretty big coincidence.

However, I still don't think specific fan-wish Pokémon will get picked anyway, which is why the Lycanroc thread is depressing to read to me.
Exactly, greninja got in cause he had the right body type and Incineroar cause he wanted a wrestler, sakurai wouldn’t necessarily go for the most popular choice regardless, he wants character that are fun, or whatever it is he thinks is fun

Though let’s face it he contradicted himself on occasion

I saw this reference and I thought it was wholesome.

Which game should I start with?
Well each of the games stories don’t rely heavily on the previous games so you could play through them easy enough, though there are still call backs in the side stuff

I think you could start anywhere, 3 has the most yo-kai to befriend so that’s a plus (for me at least) and the screen shot in that tweet is from 3. Though you could wait for the switch version of the original

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Exactly, greninja got in cause he had the right body type and Incineroar cause he wanted a wrestler, sakurai wouldn’t necessarily go for the most popular choice regardless, he wants character that are fun, or whatever it is he thinks is fun

Though let’s face it he contradicted himself on occasion
Anyone can change their minds sooner or later, nobody's perfect. I swear, sometimes it's like going out of character like in a fictional work if you don't do the same thing all the time, I get that enough at home.

At any rate, you can't deny that some gens can and will get skipped over for some reason, so I wouldn't be surprised if Gen 8 somehow ends up getting that fate by Smash 6...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Anyone can change their minds sooner or later, nobody's perfect. I swear, sometimes it's like going out of character like in a fictional work if you don't do the same thing all the time, I get that enough at home.

At any rate, you can't deny that some gens can and will get skipped over for some reason, so I wouldn't be surprised if Gen 8 somehow ends up getting that fate by Smash 6...
Yeah I get the feeling gen 8 will be missed out on as well it’s a shame cause there are some great Pokemon this time around, but what can ya do. I’ve had a few characters here and there I don’t like in smash and Pokemon includes one of them, overall I don’t get me hopes up for any one Pokemon as I don’t fancy my chances.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well each of the games stories don’t rely heavily on the previous games so you could play through them easy enough, though there are still call backs in the side stuff

I think you could start anywhere, 3 has the most yo-kai to befriend so that’s a plus (for me at least) and the screen shot in that tweet is from 3. Though you could wait for the switch version of the original
I heard the third one was the best, although the second one catches you up to speed with all the events from the first one and might be a better starting point?

Oh when is the Switch version coming out?

Gen 8 might potentially get skipped over, yes. Especially since they already did a whole tournament and spirit event for it but who knows I suppose....

I suppose it might be better to just prioritize and give the spotlight to a new Monster collector franchise like Digimon or Yokai Watch or Medabots..... Oh well...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I heard the third one was the best, although the second one catches you up to speed with all the events from the first one and might be a better starting point?

Oh when is the Switch version coming out?
2 would be a good starting i would suggest psychic spectres as it has the most but personally I think 3 is the best, though I think 2 has my favourite story

I think the switch version is due next year (for Japan a least) haven’t checked in a wee while

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So I decided to make these concept sprites real quick and dirty through MS paint to hopefully make some of Layton's potential moves come across a bit more easily to understand. I hope it looks alright.

Up special
Up special.png

Side air (depending on how you angle it)
Side air.png

Down air
Down air.png

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well, crap. This is a sad moment and I honestly thought his chances were pretty great. Here's hoping the next Pass brings the Prof. Honestly, if Phoenix gets in, I really can't see how Layton won't follow soon after.

amageish

Smash Master
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Verg said no Level-5 or Namco for Fighter #5.

Well lets just hope our DS era champion Phoenix gets in.
Well. Shucks.

I guess we have Capcom and First Parties left... Has Marvelous been deconfirmed yet? Or Arc System Works? Mages software? Spike Chunsoft? Uh... Type-Moon, I guess? This leak season feels like we're playing 20 questions and we're all losing. :-(

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Well. Shucks.

I guess we have Capcom and First Parties left... Has Marvelous been deconfirmed yet? Or Arc System Works? Mages software? Spike Chunsoft? Uh... Type-Moon, I guess? This leak season feels like we're playing 20 questions and we're all losing. :-(
All of those are still in the clear for now.

Yeah I got 3 of my 4 most wanted blown out of the water day, I'm distraught but curious as to what the final character in the pass shall be.

amageish

Smash Master
All of those are still in the clear for now.

Yeah I got 3 of my 4 most wanted blown out of the water day, I'm distraught but curious as to what the final character in the pass shall be.
Sorry to hear that... It does suck when your most-wanted are knocked out of the speculation sphere.

I guess it's either a first party or an SNK-level wild card. (or a company already in Smash)... It'll be interesting to see, though the Smash community may cannibalize itself before the character is announced...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Verg said no Level-5 or Namco for Fighter #5.

Well lets just hope our DS era champion Phoenix gets in.
Well, that's not pleasant news to wake up to...

Well on the bright side, at least I won't have to lose sleep all night catching the VGA. I'll just see whoever gets announced the next day.

Hopefully post pass brings us better luck...

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
At this point I'm hoping its either Phoenix Wright or Arle Nadja but knowing my luck, it will probably be a matter of time before Vergeben shoots them down as well...

At least their only shooting down potential fighter 5 candidates and not the entire DLC lineup I suppose.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You might not like who is coming, but they'll bring something interesting gameplay-wise, that you can be sure about. The only thing that matters is if a character is fun to play enough that people who don't know any better think they are broken. And still be better than some pointless shmo like Awesome Possum or Rocky Rodent.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You might not like who is coming, but they'll bring something interesting gameplay-wise, that you can be sure about. The only thing that matters is if a character is fun to play enough that people who don't know any better think they are broken. And still be better than some pointless shmo like Awesome Possum or Rocky Rodent.
if you dont like a character then no amount of unique gameplay mechanics are gonna make you enjoy them. what is fun is subjective and simply being different doesnt make something fun, for example terry is quite unique and yet hes the most boring character in all of smash

Flyboy

Smash Hero
if you dont like a character then no amount of unique gameplay mechanics are gonna make you enjoy them. what is fun is subjective and simply being different doesnt make something fun, for example terry is quite unique and yet hes the most boring character in all of smash
That's, just, like, your opinion, man.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Whoever it is, I'll be happy for the fans of that character.
I probably won't be doing much with them outside of Classic and play a number of matches with them though (depending on how fun they are)

I hope they at least bring in a fun new stage and a good amount of music though, those tend to stick around with me a lot more.
But that's just me personally...

Last edited:
Top Bottom