• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, if anything she brought us a pretty good anime sequel to the games. I like misdirections myself, although I'm not sure I got to see the one for the Inklings live.
Inklings live was great as it was just "Hey, why are you showing the first Splatoon trailer aga- WAIT A MINUTE."

I knew it was Smash the second "Not actual gameplay footage" cropped up.
Fair, though it seemed pretty obviously a cinematic anyway. Though on the topic of fine print, I'm surprised more people didn't notice that Joker's trailer was rated E-10, as that would have instantly disqualified a Persona 5 port, which is what a lot of people expected...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Inklings live was great as it was just "Hey, why are you showing the first Splatoon trailer aga- WAIT A MINUTE."
i dunno its a little underwhelming compared to other trailers kind of feels like they were given less flourish than other characters

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
With over 10 million sold in Europe, the European market now roughly amounts to 1/4 of the total unit sales of the Switch.

I think Nintendo is realizing how important this region is, and I’m starting to think we may get a character aimed towards the European market. If not for fighter pack #5, definitely for the additional DLC characters down the line.

Smash in particular is getting a lot of promotion in Europe recently, the European Circuit has Nintendo making an effort to promote Smash and its community continuously, with the first tournament starting at the end of this October and final tournament ending some time in summer of 2020.

They even produced a really good video on smash bros. importance aimed towards Europe just a few days ago.

I know this all doesn’t guarantee Layton, but Nintendo is showing great interest in the European market particularly for Smash bros. If they were going to have a character aimed towards Europe, Professor Layton is an obvious choice for the region.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
King Sonnn DeDeDoo King Sonnn DeDeDoo
That's really wonderful to see, I like how Nintendo and Sakurai are trying to push the series more globally and getting more new markets in there.
I don't know what this may mean for the next DLC fighter but if they are pushing to promote the series for a European market then it might work to go for a character that is particularly popular there like Layton.

Here's hoping...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
dont know that one

With over 10 million sold in Europe, the European market now roughly amounts to 1/4 of the total unit sales of the Switch.

I think Nintendo is realizing how important this region is, and I’m starting to think we may get a character aimed towards the European market. If not for fighter pack #5, definitely for the additional DLC characters down the line.

Smash in particular is getting a lot of promotion in Europe recently, the European Circuit has Nintendo making an effort to promote Smash and its community continuously, with the first tournament starting at the end of this October and final tournament ending some time in summer of 2020.

They even produced a really good video on smash bros. importance aimed towards Europe just a few days ago.

I know this all doesn’t guarantee Layton, but Nintendo is showing great interest in the European market particularly for Smash bros. If they were going to have a character aimed towards Europe, Professor Layton is an obvious choice for the region.
i wonder what games are popular in europe now a days

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
dont know that one

Well aside from Layton.

I heard Isaac, Crash and Rayman are particularly popular in Europe.

Apparently Inazuma Eleven and Yokai Watch are a bit popular there too (Not too surprising for the former) In fact, I think Level-5's franchises in general seem to resonate pretty well in Europe which is pretty interesting to know. I think Hino himself talked about that at some point if I recall.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
dont know that one

From what I could research, Europe has a lot of overlap with other western regions but a few highlighted games are FIFA, Horizon Zero Dawn, World of Tanks, CS:GO. Simulation games seem to have more popularity in Europe as well. It’s harder to find concrete data what is popular per individual country, but I guess it’s doesn’t matter too much since we have to look at the region as a whole.

Most of the ones that actually be feasible for Smash Curious Villager already mentioned.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well aside from Layton.

I heard Isaac, Crash and Rayman are particularly popular in Europe.

Apparently Inazuma Eleven and Yokai Watch are a bit popular there too (Not too surprising for the former) In fact, I think Level-5's franchises in general seem to resonate pretty well in Europe which is pretty interesting to know. I think Hino himself talked about that at some point if I recall.
well isaac is popular everywhere, its nice to know yokai watch is popular in eurpoe too bad i never seemed to get anyone on streetpass

From what I could research, Europe has a lot of overlap with other western regions but a few highlighted games are FIFA, Horizon Zero Dawn, World of Tanks, CS:GO. Simulation games seem to have more popularity in Europe as well. It’s harder to find concrete data what is popular per individual country, but I guess it’s doesn’t matter too much since we have to look at the region as a whole.

Most of the ones that actually be feasible for Smash Curious Villager already mentioned.
evidently we have odd tastes

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Level-5 tends to have better luck in Europe than the United States as far as the west goes.

Akihiro Hino said:
On the claim that many gamers aren’t familiar with Level-5’s name in the west…

Well, I think it’s worth splitting the West in two territories for this kind of question. In North America, I agree with you. We haven’t had a ton of success, besides Layton. But we’ve had incredible success in Europe. For a lot of our games, we sell more copies in Europe than in Japan, like Layton. Maybe the Dark Cloud series was a hit title in North America, but most of our stuff is more successful in Japan. It’s just how it is.

https://nintendoeverything.com/leve...est-continued-popularity-series-origins-more/
I guess in that sense, Level-5 is kind of to Europe what SNK generally was for China/Latin America hm?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Level-5 tends to have better luck in Europe than the United States as far as the west goes.

I guess in that sense, their kind of to Europe what SNK generally was for China/Latin America hm?
i like that idea for some reason

guess the fact that both the threads for the main characters for layton and yokai watch a run by eurpoeans was a clue

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
i like that idea for some reason

guess the fact that both the threads for the main characters for layton and yokai watch a run by eurpoeans was a clue
Well... It would explain why there seems to be a bit of a divide on whether or not Level-5 would get any characters, with a lot of US fans don't seem to be too interested on the idea of a Level-5 character making it in or not feeling their all that likely while a lot of European fans are very interested in seeing them get content and feel their one of the more likely unrepresented Japanese companies for a playable character aside from Koei Tecmo and Arc System Works...

I guess that's what a difference of audience can do..

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well... It would explain why a lot of US fans don't seem to be too keen on the idea of a Level-5 character making it in or not feeling their all that likely while a lot of European fans feel their one of the more likely unrepresented Japanese companies for a playable character aside from Koei Tecmo and Arc System Works...

I guess that's what a difference of audience can do..
indeed, all it takes is something little a people can end up with extremely different views

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
indeed, all it takes is something little a people can end up with extremely different views
Its the little things.

Eitherway, if they are indeed looking to expand their audiences and including characters that can appeal to fans of different regions, it may do well to include a character that is particularly popular in Europe, a Level-5 character might just be a good fit for that so hopefully they will be getting a character in there after all.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Its the little things.

Eitherway, if they are indeed looking to expand their audiences and including characters that can appeal to fans of different regions, it may do well to include a character that is particularly popular in Europe, a Level-5 character might just be a good fit for that so hopefully they will be getting a character in there after all.
It’s a nice thought

That reminds me of topic I wanted to bring up, mii costumes, any Layton or level-5 characters you’d all love to have costumes

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It’s a nice thought

That reminds me of topic I wanted to bring up, mii costumes, any Layton or level-5 characters you’d all love to have costumes
As far as Layton costumes go,
Katrielle Swordfighter with her signature Magnifying glass as her Sword.
Luke Brawler
Flora Swordfighter with the tower of St.Mystere as her sword (either that or a frying pan)
Emmy Brawler
Descole Swordfighter
Don Paolo Brawler

As far as non Layton characters go and just Level-5 in general

Mark Evans from Inazuma Eleven and/or an Raimon Eleven football uniform for Mii Brawler
The Girl from Dark Cloud, I don't know if she uses a Sword but if yes, then for the Mii Swordfighter
Nate/Katie Brawler (Unless Jibanyan becomes playable later on then I guess they could be used for his update instead)
Oliver Swordfighter from Ni No Kuni

That's all from the top of my head, might have missed some though, perhaps something from Fantasy Life?

In fact what Level-5 spirits would you guys like to see?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well if I may answer my own question as well as yours

Nate sword fighter (enma sword) jibanyan and whisper brawlers, Luke and Emmy brawlers, descole sword fighter, Oliver sword fighter, hailey Anne and usapyon gunners

As for spirits, all of the above, Katie, komasan and komajiro, hovernyan, Flora, don palo, kat, Ernest, sherl, chelmy, grosky, Esther, swaine, mr drippy and I forget her name but she’s in your avatar cv

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Can confirm, I'm french and Professor Layton is quite the notorious franchise here in France, mostly thanks to the DS' popularity back then and thanks to Layton's french voice actor which actually voiced Clank in Ratchet and Clank :)
I think you can definitely draw the parallels with SNK from there ;)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well if I may answer my own question as well as yours

Nate sword fighter (enma sword) jibanyan and whisper brawlers, Luke and Emmy brawlers, descole sword fighter, Oliver sword fighter, hailey Anne and usapyon gunners

As for spirits, all of the above, Katie, komasan and komajiro, hovernyan, Flora, don palo, kat, Ernest, sherl, chelmy, grosky, Esther, swaine, mr drippy and I forget her name but she’s in your avatar cv
Emiliana? Yeah I'd like to see her too.

Can confirm, I'm french and Professor Layton is quite the notorious franchise here in France, mostly thanks to the DS' popularity back then and thanks to Layton's french voice actor which actually voiced Clank in Ratchet and Clank :)
I think you can definitely draw the parallels with SNK from there ;)
Hah, that's great.
I suppose there are indeed some parallels to be made between Level-5 and SNK in that case,
I suppose some can also be said with Level-5 and Atlus when they where mainly supporting Nintendo's handheld consoles in the past.

I think they will likely be getting something sooner or later, I just can't see Nintendo leaving them out altogether, especially seeing how much they supported them and the demand for Level-5 content...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Emiliana? Yeah I'd like to see her too.

Hah, that's great.
I suppose there are indeed some parallels to be made between Level-5 and SNK in that case,
I suppose some can also be said with Level-5 and Atlus when they where mainly supporting Nintendo's handheld consoles in the past.

I think they will likely be getting something sooner or later, I just can't see Nintendo leaving them out altogether, especially seeing how much they supported them and the demand for Level-5 content...
emiliana that was it, boy i really cant remember names from millionaire's conspiracy

i really do hope we get come level-5 stuff, preferably from one of the games ive played

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
emiliana that was it, boy i really cant remember names from millionaire's conspiracy

i really do hope we get come level-5 stuff, preferably from one of the games ive played
They do have pretty complicated/uncommon sounding names don't they? at least compared to the original series.
Like you have common/simple names like Luke, Flora, Emmy and then you go over to Katrielle, Emiliana, Inspector Ercule Hastings...

Quite the difference.

I hope so too. I hope we do get Layton since that seems to be the series that is popular across the board, including the US, at least according to Hino. But seeing any Level-5 content at all (that they own) would be great.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
They do have pretty complicated/uncommon sounding names don't they? at least compared to the original series.
Like you have common/simple names like Luke, Flora, Emmy and then you go over to Katrielle, Emiliana, Inspector Ercule Hastings...

Quite the difference.

I hope so too. I hope we do get Layton since that seems to be the series that is popular across the board, including the US, at least according to Hino. But seeing any Level-5 content at all (that they own) would be great.
either that its cause after six games it was easier to remember the names rather than the ones in only one

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
either that its cause after six games it was easier to remember the names rather than the ones in only one
I suppose so. Whenever the anime finally receives its English release you'll probably be hearing their names a lot more often by then.

Anyway, the interview I brought up above gives some more interesting insight in regards to Level-5, the west and the Layton series. The interview was made in July 2017 so it wasn't that long ago.

Really, the Layton series probably had the biggest impact for the company globally, especially as a franchise that really caught on in the west, but it also gives a contrast to how Level-5 tends to focus more on the Japanese audience for their games. Its a pretty interesting read.

amageish

Smash Master
Recently found this commercial for Unwound Future for the first time.
Ahhhhh, Nintendo's live action commercials. This one may be one of the best, simply because it actually represents the mechanics and ideas of the games, versus the likes of Fire Emblem's "I put poison in his mutton" or Golden Sun's "Opera house attacked by a chandelier dragon."

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Ahhhhh, Nintendo's live action commercials. This one may be one of the best, simply because it actually represents the mechanics and ideas of the games, versus the likes of Fire Emblem's "I put poison in his mutton" or Golden Sun's "Opera house attacked by a chandelier dragon."
I went into this video expecting the worst, but I agree it actually does a pretty good job.

The Golden Sun commercial, while absolutely terrible at representing the game, was still cool to look at. Fire emblem's is just hilariously bad (RIP Dorcas)

amageish

Smash Master
I went into this video expecting the worst, but I agree it actually does a pretty good job.

The Golden Sun commercial, while absolutely terrible at representing the game, was still cool to look at. Fire emblem's is just hilariously bad (RIP Dorcas)
It's also generally well-shot? I like the costumes for the crowds that make the colour of Layton's/Luke's outfits pop! It's pretty decent, all things considered.

Yeah, though both have their legacies in their own weird ways. Golden Sun's crystal dragon got retroactively put into GS as a summon in Dark Dawn. Fire Emblem Heroes references Dorcas' fate in the commercial with one of his status lines, though that is only in the English version. Both great ads that fail to represent the product entirely.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
The victory theme would obviously be the puzzle solved jingle, there's not really any debate on that :-/

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Recently found this commercial for Unwound Future for the first time.
That's very nice, I liked the ad campaign's they did for the Layton series during the DS era.
There are also the Japanese commercials for Pandora's Box

Fun fact, the actor who is dressed up as Layton in these commercials is none other than Layton's actual voice actor for the Japanese games. He later went on to do the first Japanese commercials for the Nintendo Switch as well.

say have we discussed victory theme ideas before?
As others said, definitely the puzzle solved jingle of the Layton series. Especially if they go as far as also adding the effects used for them too with the black backdrop and then eventually having Ultimate's splash at the end.

Other alternative would probably be a part of Layton's theme I suppose.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
am i miss remembering this cause i could swear the puzzle solved jingle lasted for like 2 seconds

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
am i miss remembering this cause i could swear the puzzle solved jingle lasted for like 2 seconds
It's not that short but a lot of Smash victory themes have been shortened in Smash Ultimate.
Layton's victory theme would be about the same lenght as Kirby's victory theme

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's not that short but a lot of Smash victory themes have been shortened in Smash Ultimate.
Layton's victory theme would be about the same lenght as Kirby's victory theme
Nah its about 5 seconds, which is pretty much how long the victory themes in Ultimate last as well.
hmm alright then, though the shortening of the victory themes in ultimate did annoy me feels like the zelda one is all flourish and no music now

then again its not always the most obvious victory theme, it is more often than not but no always

Top Bottom