• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I think it's funny that both Ace Attorney and Professor Layton have excellent movies based on them! The AA movie had a few odd choices but the way it handled the final case was nothing short of sublime. More reason they need a new crossover. :4pacman:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think it's funny that both Ace Attorney and Professor Layton have excellent movies based on them! The AA movie had a few odd choices but the way it handled the final case was nothing short of sublime. More reason they need a new crossover. :4pacman:
Live action Ace Attorney crossing over with animated Professor Layton in a movie let's go

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Live action Ace Attorney crossing over with animated Professor Layton in a movie let's go
Get a cue from how they both ended up in Labyrinthia and make it like The Pagemaster or something. Half live action, half animated.

...This is just crazy enough to work!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well ive done it, ive made a moveset and ive clearly lost it completely now. id tried focusing on the puzzles seeing as movesets borrow from the cutscenes and the end result was this

Jab: swings sword
Forward tilt: throws magnifying glass
Up tilt: overhead swipe with sword
Down tilt: sweeping movement with sword

Forward smash: points (what else)
Up smash: puzzle found ! appears over head
Down smash: drops metal spheres, from those puzzles

Neutral air: circle forms like when circling an answer
Forward air: swings sword down
Back air: thrusts sword behind
Up air: throws bucket of paint from colour puzzles
Down air: throws cards from card puzzles

Dash: pushes a sliding block

Pummel: strikes with hilt of sword
Forward throw: throws into submit answer button
Back throw: throws behind a throws random pitcher of liquid from pitcher puzzles
Up throw: throws a number from a number puzzle
Down throw: drops blocks from hatgram

Neutral special: summons a striking force in from of him, based on selecting an answer
Side special: throws pencil icon, path can be moved by joy stick creating lines in the air similar to drawing/writing answers on the touch screen, icon and path deal damage
Up special: leaps up with knight chess piece
Down special: drops a submit answer button and an incorrect answer, characters who attack the button are damaged

Final smash: The true culprit, ball of light appears in front of him, trapped foes are transported to a cut scene based on the games the professor says “the true culprit is you there!” he points dealing damage, goes back to stage foes are launched

On screen entrance: arrives in the Layton mobile

Up taunt: strokes chin in thought, says “hmm”
Side taunt: folds arms, says “how vexing”
Down taunt: tosses hint coin in air, says “come now”

Victory 1: strikes poses based on the puzzle solves animations, says “every puzzle has an answer”
Victory 2: sniffs the aroma of a cup of tea, says “even a true gentleman needs exercise” drinks tea.
Victory 3: straightens hat while luke cheers, they say “great job professor” “thank you my boy”

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Last edited:

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
Ghost Trick in top 5 is a very pleasant surprise.

The recurring trends in that list are puzzle-adventure games and JRPGs, which is a testament to the type of console it was. There will never be anything quite like it again!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Ghost Trick in top 5 is a very pleasant surprise.

The recurring trends in that list are puzzle-adventure games and JRPGs, which is a testament to the type of console it was. There will never be anything quite like it again!
If you exclude ports and remakes then Lost Future would be in the top 5 too as far as original DS games go.
Interesting to see Ghost Trick so high, all the more of a reminder that I should really be playing that game already.

And yeah, its interesting to see the type of audience the DS really appealed to with the abundance of RPG's, puzzle adventure and visual novel games. It really had a theme of its own. I guess most of the playerbase of the DS has since moved on to IOS/Android gaming as that generally has the kind of games that the DS era used to have nowadays. Which is probably why the Layton and Ace Attorney series get their games ported there too.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
If you exclude ports and remakes then Lost Future would be in the top 5 too and Ghost Trick number 1 as far as original DS games go.
Interesting to see Ghost Trick so high, all the more of a reminder that I should really be playing that game already.

And yeah, its interesting to see the type of audience the DS really appealed to with the abundance of RPG's, puzzle adventure and visual novel games. It really had a theme of its own. I guess most of the playerbase of the DS has since moved on to IOS/Android gaming as that generally has the kind of games that the DS era used to have nowadays. Which is probably why the Layton and Ace Attorney series get their games ported there too.
Yep, pretty much. Ace Attorney and Layton are by far the most popular adventure game series that are still ongoing right now.

amageish

Smash Master
If you exclude ports and remakes then Lost Future would be in the top 5 too and Ghost Trick number 1 as far as original DS games go.
Not to be that guy, but The World Ends with You and Radiant Historia both debuted on the DS too, so Ghost Trick is third by that metric.

Super happy to see Layton popping up in so many places across the list! It’s nice to see Wright there as well. The DS was really a powerhouse for VNs and RPGs...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Not to be that guy, but The World Ends with You and Radiant Historia both debuted on the DS too, so Ghost Trick is third by that metric.

Super happy to see Layton popping up in so many places across the list! It’s nice to see Wright there as well. The DS was really a powerhouse for VNs and RPGs...
Oh whoops, for some reason I thought Ghost Trick was 4th. My bad but yeah.

Its great to see how these series still hold up well by fans today. Makes me wish all the more that they where at least acknowledged in Smash. It just feels like something is missing without them. Especially the Layton and Ace Attorney series as they continued on throughout the 3DS lifespan and are currently on their way to the Switch too.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At least Cooking Mama survived that era too, seeing as even that gets a Switch installment nowadays.

The Wii U era really was a case of super-safe-comfort zone mode, but thankfully that dork age is past us. Now that Nintendo's more receptive to fan demand, the time is right to increase support for VN characters. Even the formerly-Japan-only Yu-No gets a remake these days.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Cooking Mama, Phoenix Wright (For the west at least) Professor Layton, Neku Sakuraba, Maxwell, Vince, Dr. Kawashima, Nintendogs etc.

The DS era was an era of its own as far as colourful new IP's where concerned. I suppose the whole nature of the Dual Screen and Touch controls opened up doors for brand new idea's and franchises since it was something we hadn't quite seen before at the time.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Cooking Mama, Phoenix Wright (For the west at least) Professor Layton, Neku Sakuraba, Maxwell, Vince, Dr. Kawashima, Nintendogs etc.

The DS era was an era of its own as far as colourful new IP's where concerned. I suppose the whole nature of the Dual Screen and Touch controls opened up doors for brand new idea's and franchises since it was something we hadn't quite seen before.
Just as Mega Man and Simon Belmont are synonymous with the NES or likewise Banjo-Kazooie with the N64, I’m hoping someone like me who grew up with the DS can get a character. Layton, Phoenix, Maxwell, even Cooking Mama would do a excellent choice in my opinion.

On a related note, that DS rankings made me wonder where do you rank each of the Professor Layton games in comparison to each other?Personally I’m stumped on which is my favorite.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Just as Mega Man and Simon Belmont are synonymous with the NES or likewise Banjo-Kazooie with the N64, I’m hoping someone like me who grew up with the DS can get a character. Layton, Phoenix, Maxwell, even Cooking Mama would do a excellent choice in my opinion.

On a related note, that DS rankings made me wonder where do you rank each of the Professor Layton games in comparison to each other?Personally I’m stumped on which is my favorite.
Definitely, I'm really really hoping that one of the last two fighters is at least either Layton or Phoenix, it's time to give Lucario a friend Sakurai! :ultlucario:

As for how I'd rank the Layton games.
I'd probably go from most favourite to least:
1. Lost Future
2. Curious village
3. Miracle Mask
4. Pandora's Box
5. Last Specter
6. Azran Legacy

I always found Lost Future and Curious Village fun to replay from time to time. Probably because their short and sweet enough to get back to from time to time. LF also had the most fun storyline and puzzles in the series imo so I can't wait for the HD remaster and I give CV some bonus points for being the sole Layton game that didn't treat Flora as a joke because it was my first Layton game that introduced me to the series.

The others I haven't really replayed much (other than Pandora's Box recently) so I don't remember too much of them, I do remember really liking Miracle Mask's soundtrack and finding Azran Legacy's egg hunt to drag on a bit and the ending being a bit too much.

I still have yet to play Mystery Journey so I can't really give my opinions to that, I haven't really heard too many good things about it though but hopefully they will fix some of the complaints in the upcoming Switch port.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Just read that list of DS games and man was it a great console. I've only recently been able to get my friends to try out some of those games (chiefly 999 and the Layton games) but it's crazy how many of my favorite games of all time are on it.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

The DS era was an era of its own as far as colourful new IP's where concerned. I suppose the whole nature of the Dual Screen and Touch controls opened up doors for brand new idea's and franchises since it was something we hadn't quite seen before at the time.
oh yeah it was an incredible console with a stellar library of games (mind you id say that about most nintendo consoles) and it was great not just seeing how all the new stuff worked but how familiar faces were reworked for it

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I've seen some people wondering why the DS Zelda's didn't make it into the top 50 at all though.
While I did quite enjoy Spirit Tracks, I can kinda see why they weren't that popular as they where quite divisive games in of their own within the Zelda community.

I wonder how Nintendo would go about remaking those games if they ever do. I'd love to see them fully realized in the Wind Waker art style as they should have been but couldn't due to hardware limitations.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Yeah in the same way Mega man and Simon are honorary Nintendo characters for 80's and early 90's kids, Layton, Neku and Phoenix are honorary Nintendo characters for late 90's and 2000's kids. It'd be great to have them in Smash.

Personally it's hard for me to pick a favorite Layton game, I know my least favorite is Miracle mask but all the others including the crossover are just so much fun for me.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah in the same way Mega man and Simon are honorary Nintendo characters for 80's and early 90's kids, Layton, Neku and Phoenix are honorary Nintendo characters for late 90's and 2000's kids. It'd be great to have them in Smash.
>When you realize Layton, Phoenix and Neku are the Megaman, Simon Belmont, Banjo Kazooie etc for the kids who grew up during the DS era.

May their time come soon(tm).

The fact Nintendo promoted the Layton and Ace Attorney series as if they where their own is much akin to how they used to promote series like Megaman, Castlevania and Banjo Kazooie back in the 80s and 90s.
They where also all mistaken as being Nintendo franchises at one point as well due to how much they supported them back then.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
DS Zelda's didn't make it into the top 50 at all though.
they didnt? sacrilege!

>When you realize Layton, Phoenix and Neku are the Megaman, Simon Belmont, Banjo Kazooie etc for the kids who grew up during the DS era.

May their time come soon(tm).

The fact Nintendo promoted the Layton and Ace Attorney series as if they where their own is much akin to how they used to promote series like Megaman, Castlevania and Banjo Kazooie back in the 80s and 90s.
They where also all mistaken as being Nintendo franchises at one point as well due to how much they supported them back then.
well late 90s early 2000s for B&K, more to the point it was a nintendo franchise back then

amageish

Smash Master
I wonder how Nintendo would go about remaking those games if they ever do. I'd love to see them fully realized in the Wind Waker art style as they should have been but couldn't due to hardware limitations.
That would be awesome! I do wonder how likely it'd be though, as LA seems to be our first major 2D Zelda remake and that game is one of the most beloved in the franchise...

That is an interesting similarity... Does this mean I have to wait until I'm in my 30s to get Layton, to maxmimize my nostalgia? I hope not.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That would be awesome! I do wonder how likely it'd be though, as LA seems to be our first major 2D Zelda remake and that game is one of the most beloved in the franchise...

That is an interesting similarity... Does this mean I have to wait until I'm in my 30s to get Layton, to maxmimize my nostalgia? I hope not.
I don't know how talked about Link's Awakening was prior to its remake. I think Nintendo themselves didn't really acknowledge that game that much in modern years until Hyrule Warriors Legends and Tri Force Heroes if I recall. The DS Zelda's did get their share of promotion from time to time though so they probably will remake them too at some point. Especially since they can fix some of the issues people had with the games like they did with Wind Waker.

Its the Capcom Zelda's where I'm a bit more iffy on, but I do hope they receive a remake too one day.

And hopefully we won't have to wait almost 20+ years for Layton to finally make it in, though if by any chance we do, hopefully his support base would have grown significantly by then...

amageish

Smash Master
I don't know how talked about Link's Awakening was prior to its remake. I think Nintendo themselves didn't really acknowledge that game that much in modern years until Hyrule Warriors Legends and Tri Force Heroes if I recall. The DS Zelda's did get their share of promotion from time to time though so they probably will remake them too at some point. Especially since they can fix some of the issues people had with the games like they did with Wind Waker.

Its the Capcom Zelda's where I'm a bit more iffy on, but I do hope they receive a remake too one day.

And hopefully we won't have to wait almost 20+ years for Layton to finally make it in, though if by any chance we do, hopefully his support base would have grown significantly by then...
In terms of fan lists, I definitely recall it being one of the favourite 2D Zelda games - usually second/third to Link to the Past and Link Between Worlds. Good point about Nintendo not acknowledging it though - Marin being in Legends was a surprise to many.

Yeah, hopefully... It is interesting, as Layton is objectively a very well-selling and major franchise - certainly upstaging Banjo and Persona at least. The nature of casual fandom just causes it to be less overtly discussed, unfortunately.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah, hopefully... It is interesting, as Layton is objectively a very well-selling and major franchise - certainly upstaging Banjo and Persona at least. The nature of casual fandom just causes it to be less overtly discussed, unfortunately.
Yeah I think that's pretty much the thing, they do tend to get vocal for the Prof whenever something comes up in regards to him such as the ONM crossover misunderstanding and the Christopher Miller incident, though beyond that, the Layton fandom tends to be a bit more quiet when it comes to their desire to see the Prof.

Though being fair, I can hardly fault them for that as that's kind of a typical cycle for many characters, if there are no rumours, interviews, Sakurai not acknowledging your series (being in game or in interviews) or a new game coming up, a lot of characters tend to struggle to gather support unless their fans remained persistent for many many years.

That was kind of brought up in the character discussion thread yesterday and its an unfortunate circumstance for many characters, at that point you might as well have to hope that Sakurai or rumour goers happen to be on your side...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah I think that's pretty much the thing, they do tend to get vocal for the Prof whenever something comes up in regards to him such as the ONM crossover misunderstanding and the Christopher Miller incident, though beyond that, the Layton fandom tends to be a bit more quiet when it comes to their desire to see the Prof.

Though being fair, I can hardly fault them for that as that's kind of a typical cycle for many characters, if there are no rumours, interviews, Sakurai not acknowledging your series (being in game or in interviews) or a new game coming up, a lot of characters tend to struggle to gather support unless their fans remained persistent for many many years.

That was kind of brought up in the character discussion thread yesterday and its an unfortunate circumstance for many characters, at that point you might as well have to hope that Sakurai or rumour goers happen to be at your side...
ONM crossover misunderstanding? dont recall that

it is a shame that not all supporters are consistent when it comes to who theyd like to see in smash, as we all know popularity can be the thing that gets you in there one day (sonic, ridley, k.rool) to a certain extent though (isaac) but sakurai does have his own way of doing things which has lead to inclusions people never who have thought had a shot, so even if theres nothing going for us to drum up more support theres always a chance sakurai will do something

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
ONM crossover misunderstanding? dont recall that

it is a shame that not all supporters are consistent when it comes to who theyd like to see in smash, as we all know popularity can be the thing that gets you in there one day (sonic, ridley, k.rool) to a certain extent though (isaac) but sakurai does have his own way of doing things which has lead to inclusions people never who have thought had a shot, so even if theres nothing going for us to drum up more support theres always a chance sakurai will do something
Back when the Layton vs Phoenix Wright crossover came out. ONM made a wishlist of six other franchises they'd like to see Layton crossover in. Smash was of course one of them, this somehow lead to people thinking that they were hinting at Layton joining the Smash roster and it blew up for a bit.

If anything, popularity can at least help you get some acknowledgement in Smash. Sakurai wants the fans to be happy, however, he naturally can't put every character in existence into the game so he has to settle for other means such as Spirits, Assist Trophies and Mii costumes etc. And wether you think that's a good or bad thing is up to each individuals taste I suppose.

Like I said, If Layton can't make it into the game as a fighter, at least I'd like to see him be acknowledged in some other way for now rather than just straight up not being there at all... That's just my opinion though.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Back when the Layton vs Phoenix Wright crossover came out. ONM made a wishlist of ten other franchises they'd like to see Layton crossover in. Smash was of course one of them, this somehow lead to people thinking that they were hinting at Layton joining the Smash roster and it blew up for a bit.

If anything, popularity can at least help you get some acknowledgement in Smash. Sakurai wants the fans to be happy, however, he naturally can't put every character in existence into the game so he has to settle for other means such as Spirits, Assist Trophies and Mii costumes etc. And wether you think that's a good or bad thing is up to each individuals taste.

Like I said, If Layton can't make it into the game as a fighter, at least I'd like to see him be acknowledged in some other way for now rather than just straight up not being there at all... That's just my opinion though.
i recall the article, but cant see i recall fans reacting to like that

it is a shame thats theres no layton acknowledgement at all, when seemingly more random inclusion have been

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
i recall the article, but cant see i recall fans reacting to like that

it is a shame thats theres no layton acknowledgement at all, when seemingly more random inclusion have been
I remember it blowing up a bit over at sites like Tumblr and Twitter I think. Which is really where most casual Layton fans are around.

More or less yeah. Level-5 are pretty open to collaborations though and they have got some Koei Tecmo content in there among some other third parties so I don't see them being particularly difficult to deal with. (At least no more than Square if anything, though then again, that's Square for you I guess)

Last edited:

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
Was this not the same issue of ONM where Professor Layton "crosses over" with Resident Evil, exposing the zombies as drunk undergrad students, and Kyle Hyde beats Batman in a fistfight in a showdown of the greatest video game detectives? (a feature celebrating PL vs PW)

I can understand if some people got hype at a nod to Layton in Smash and it just escalated from there though, as rumours tend to do. Going from "Official Nintendo Magazine did this funny piece about Layton meeting Smash Bros" to "Official Nintendo Magazine wrote about Layton in Smash Bros" to "Official Nintendo Magazine confirmed Layton in Smash Bros" - that "Official" title (was it actually official though? lol) probably gave someone the wrong idea somewhere down the line.

In other news, I feel like we're running out of fan-favourite 80s and 90s characters now haha. Ryu Hayabusa, Crash and Rayman? We're getting closer to Layton and DS characters just by sheer process of elimination.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Was this not the same issue of ONM where Professor Layton "crosses over" with Resident Evil, exposing the zombies as drunk undergrad students, and Kyle Hyde beats Batman in a fistfight in a showdown of the greatest video game detectives? (a feature celebrating PL vs PW)

I can understand if some people got hype at a nod to Layton in Smash and it just escalated from there though, as rumours tend to do. Going from "Official Nintendo Magazine did this funny piece about Layton meeting Smash Bros" to "Official Nintendo Magazine wrote about Layton in Smash Bros" to "Official Nintendo Magazine confirmed Layton in Smash Bros" - that "Official" title (was it actually official though? lol) probably gave someone the wrong idea somewhere down the line.

In other news, I feel like we're running out of fan-favourite 80s and 90s characters now haha. Ryu Hayabusa, Crash and Rayman? We're getting closer to Layton and DS characters just by sheer process of elimination.
Yeah I was kind of puzzled myself how some people mistook it for a "hint" for Layton in Smash but I guess it was nice that he got his moment in the sun for a bit at the time.... The thing with Christopher Miller was a much bigger deal, especially since it took place during the Ballot period.

ONM did have some close connections with Nintendo though, but they where still just another news outlet that did a lot of issues revolving around Nintendo in the UK, much like Nintendo Power did for the US or GameXplain is to Youtube.

Yeah pretty much, we just need to keep the demand up and running for now.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So here's another fan made moveset I've come across by a user named Koolooc.
I thought I'd share it since it has some nice idea's there and to give the user a little shoutout for their work in animating the whole thing. Feel free to check it out.

I completely forgot about the totem puzzle. I think that was in Miracle Mask, might make for another interesting move for the prof too.

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
I thought I'd share it since it has some nice idea's there and to give the user a little shoutout for their work in animating the whole thing. Feel free to check it out.

I completely forgot about the totem puzzle. I think that was in Miracle Mask, might make for another interesting move for the prof too.
The down smash blew me away :o I can't believe I didn't think about that :D
I really like this person's moveset concept, he even had the same idea as me with the magnifying glass :)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

An interesting moveset, glad I’m not the only one who thinks the ! would make a good up smash. Think the up special is a little overly complicated and the final smash lasts a little long

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
BTW, which final smash in Smash Ultimate lasts the longest ?
I'm torn between King K Rool's and Incineroar's but I never tried to see how much time they take...

Top Bottom