• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
the pokemon fandom has been showing its nastier side recently, although from what i can remember peoples problems with gen 7 was the lack of gyms (mine was the one character) and with gen 8 a lot of them seemed to feel a lot better when they got the actual games, although people still had their complaints but for the most part they seem to calm down with all the really bitter and nasty people sticking to twitter
At this point the people with legitimate grievances with modern Pokemon have the stamped out by hordes of people who only play Pokemon for nostalgia and don't care about the actual quality of the games.

amageish

Smash Master
I think even Level-5 probably had a tongue in cheek fun with it by potentially basing those two Targent goons from Azran Legacy off the two goons from Lautrec.
I think Konami was even interested in a crossover with Lautrec and Layton if I recall but yeah, that more or less never came to pass, if Layton where to make it into Smash then he'd at least be able to interact with Snake and the Belmonts though.
Put Layton into Smash and release a Lautrec Mii Costume alongside him! You know, for all 5 of his fans out there.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
At this point the people with legitimate grievances with modern Pokemon have the stamped out by hordes of people who only play Pokemon for nostalgia and don't care about the actual quality of the games.
hey not all of us are doing it because of nostalgia

amageish

Smash Master

I hadn't realized this was a change! They really do have a lot of minor regional differences...

I generally don't like when people write out accents phonetically, but it comes across as kind of charming in Layton games for whatever reason...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

I hadn't realized this was a change! They really do have a lot of minor regional differences...

I generally don't like when people write out accents phonetically, but it comes across as kind of charming in Layton games for whatever reason...
thats not a scottish accent

not nearly enough swearing

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Oh I didn't realise that guy had a different accent between versions.
I do know that there are some line differences between the UK and US versions though (Flora for example makes A LOT MORE use of the CAPS LOCK in the US version for some reason....)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That's neat! Now I wonder if I should play the British versions of the Layton games. After all, they probably sound more authentic to the games' setting.

Though I could never get used to British Luke, to me he'll always sound like Lani Minella.

amageish

Smash Master
I ended up playing a mix of the American and British versions as that what was available at my local games stores (Curious Village, Pandora's Box, American Unwound Future, Specter's Call, then American versions of all the 3DS games).

I can't say I recalled too many differences when going from game to game, beyond Luke's voice and the usual differences of spelling/occasional-jargon? This does make me curious how many minor differences there were hidden throughout though... I also still want to go back to try London Life one day.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I specifically played Lost Future because I couldn't stand American Luke when I played Diabolical Box...really neat to see what other changes there were. It's fun to look at the DS era because adventure games like Another Code were changed a LOT when localized for US audiences, as seen by the title change to Trace Memory and the big script rewrites. Neat that it extended this far into Layton as well.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I specifically played Lost Future because I couldn't stand American Luke when I played Diabolical Box...really neat to see what other changes there were. It's fun to look at the DS era because adventure games like Another Code were changed a LOT when localized for US audiences, as seen by the title change to Trace Memory and the big script rewrites. Neat that it extended this far into Layton as well.
I was today years old when I learned that there's regional differences in Another Code/Trace Memory. Add that to the list of stuff to replay I guess.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I was today years old when I learned that there's regional differences in Another Code/Trace Memory. Add that to the list of stuff to replay I guess.
Absolutely massive ones at that. Another Code came out first in Europe and was both more accurate to the Japanese script (though it also had a lot of UK language, such as "sweets", etc) with things like the Dual Another System, the name itself, and more. Meanwhile, in the US, it was called Trace Memory and Ashley was distinctly sharper in her delivery and it was called the Dual Trace System/DTS, and a lot more differences as well. I'm sure there's a place that's collected them all.

I really wish the US had gotten Another Code R, or that it was easier to play it imported. But this isn't the Ashley or Kyle Hyde thread I suppose, not that those exist or are popular anymore with Cing shutting down and their spiriting. Anyway, yeah, it's super interesting, and a big reason why I play the Layton games' PAL versions when I can is because they feel more authentic that way.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I really wish the US had gotten Another Code R, or that it was easier to play it imported. But this isn't the Ashley or Kyle Hyde thread I suppose, not that those exist or are popular anymore with Cing shutting down and their spiriting. Anyway, yeah, it's super interesting, and a big reason why I play the Layton games' PAL versions when I can is because they feel more authentic that way.
i had one for ashley back in the smash 4 days

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I really like this artwork this person made for the Layton art contest.

We should post some of the art work we’ve seen peoples made for the contest! Or even just your favorite Layton related fan art in general.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I suppose since adventures games tend to be pretty story heavy, that there needs to be some extra care to make sure that everything makes sense for different regions and all.

I know Lost Future had a number of regional differences, though I never really looked up onto the regional differences in other Layton games outside of certain puzzles, might be something worth looking into someday.

I really like this artwork this person made for the Layton art contest.

We should post some of the art work we’ve seen peoples made for the contest! Or even just your favorite Layton related fan art in general.
That looks great, the fandom has definitely shared a lot of cool art for the game this month. Feel free to share them here if any of you like, just be sure to include a link back to the original artists.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Meanwhile, when Saburo Jinguji was first localized into Jake Hunter for the US by Aksys, the DS compilation game that was used for the effort had half of its entries left out for no reason and the localization tried to skew a little too much towards AA. A year later, a re-release was done with the rest of the compilation's games and a more sensible localization. It's a wonder they've managed to pull that off. It's been pick and choose for Jake Hunter exportations since then, as a steady cult classic.

amageish

Smash Master
Meanwhile, when Saburo Jinguji was first localized into Jake Hunter for the US by Aksys, the DS compilation game that was used for the effort had half of its entries left out for no reason and the localization tried to skew a little too much towards AA. A year later, a re-release was done with the rest of the compilation's games and a more sensible localization. It's a wonder they've managed to pull that off. It's been pick and choose for Jake Hunter exportations since then, as a steady cult classic.
I somehow hadn't heard of this franchise! I'm glad they were able to make their localizations work out though.

Now time to add it to my backlog... my very long backlog... my backlog which only gets longer over time... i should probably finish my mobile re-playthrough of Curious Village sometime...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I find it funny that the last tweet the Professor Layton series Twitter made was saying a true gentleman never poker Ace in the Hole until necessary. Maybe they ran out of trivia
Why not do more "Meet X" posts?

They only did that with a handful of character I believe, mainly the ones from LMJ. Would have been nice to see more trivia posts based off various Layton characters.

We'll probably hear from them again once the results for the art contest are in.

This is funny and cute though.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Why not do more "Meet X" posts?

They only did that with a handful of character I believe, mainly the ones from LMJ. Would have been nice to see more trivia posts based off various Layton characters.

We'll probably hear from them again once the results for the art contest are in.

This is funny and cute though.
Oh that post, its equal parts cute and hella sad:005: Playing with my heart

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Probably yeah, but then again, this is Level-5 and their sense of humor, its far from the weirdest thing they've ever done.

Like the Layton manga, and Yo-Kai Watch in general.

Now that I think of it, wasn't the Boo inspired by someone's wife at Nintendo as well? Guess its just a Japan thing...

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Probably yeah, but then again, this is Level-5 and their sense of humor, its far from the weirdest thing they've ever done.

Like the Layton manga, and Yo-Kai Watch in general.

Now that I think of it, wasn't the Boo inspired by someone's wife at Nintendo as well? Guess its just a Japan thing...
yeah, boo was inspired by Takashi Tezukas wife who was normal quiet and shy till she blew up at how much of time he spent was at work

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You know, I think Luke might potentially make for a pretty great premium Mii fighter costume since their proportions seem to check out and all.

Might be a fun way to get both Hershel and his apprentice playable into the roster in some way, especially if Level-5 where to get a mii fighter pack themed after them.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You know, I think Luke might potentially make for a pretty great premium Mii fighter costume since their proportions seem to check out and all.

Might be a fun way to get both Hershel and his apprentice playable into the roster in some way, especially if Level-5 where to get a mii fighter pack themed after them.
the idea of luke's head of any of the mii fighters is an odd image

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Returning to the topic of regional differences for a moment, Miracle Mask has some interesting differences between the US and EU versions.

First, what is known as the Nautilus Chamber of Akbadain in the US version is called the Infinite Vault of Akbadain in the EU version.

Bronev's dialogue is also different, which somewhat alters his depiction between versions:

US: You still haven't found it, you incompetent fool.
EU: I take it you still haven't found it?

US: Oh well, as long as you're sorry, I suppose everything is fine. Get the mask.
EU: Apologies do not produce results. Get the mask. Is that clear?

US: It is perfect weather for a day of world domination. Trespassers! This site is now controlled by Targent.
EU: Trespassers! This site is now controlled by Targent, and we can't have you two blabbing about what you've seen.

US: Descole. Oh, Descole... tsktsktsk
EU: Descole. Oh, Descole...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Results for the art contest are in, here are the winners. Congrats to the artists!

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Results for the art contest are in, here are the winners. Congrats to the artists!

yo, those were some nice ass drawings

amageish

Smash Master

Holy moly; those are very impressive pieces of art.

A gold Layton card is also a pretty decent prize, all things considered...

MattX20

Smash Hero

Grats to the winners

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Come to think of it, I think the Layton series is the only one where Level-5 not only tries to release the games globally, but also does these international events like the world puzzle solving event, and now this art contest.

That's pretty cool, hopefully they will do more of these kind of events in the future. (once they get their stuff back together of course..)

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Come to think of it, I think the Layton series is the only one where Level-5 not only tries to release the games globally, but also does these international events like the world puzzle solving event, and now this art contest.

That's pretty cool, hopefully they will do more of these kind of events in the future. (once they get their stuff back together of course..)
It's their most successful/well known series so they would try to release them as often as they can

Top Bottom