• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Basically the whole insider and Geno drama and whatnot the past few days insisting that there would be a Direct of some sort very soon.
well i was wondering if it was sarcastic cause of the rumors of if they were asking about the odds of something layton related

We’re definitely not getting any smash news this direct, since it focuses on already announced third party titles...
well they did say all ready announced games and projects from outside developer and publishing partners so we may get some level-5 stuff

veeflames

Smash Rookie
Yeah I was talking about odds of something Layton related.

Turns out I misread the Twitter note and thought that we'd be getting stuff from both in house and third parties. The hype definitely got to me haha....

sigh.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
well they did say all ready announced games and projects from outside developer and publishing partners so we may get some level-5 stuff
That would be nice, if Level-5's not doing anymore vision conferences then hopefully they will at least get more involved with Nintendo's Direct showcases, at least it would help get their stuff more on the map I suppose...

Yeah I was talking about odds of something Layton related.

Turns out I misread the Twitter note and thought that we'd be getting stuff from both in house and third parties. The hype definitely got to me haha....

sigh.
No worries, I kinda just woke up as well and didn't notice properly what the Direct was actually about.

Oh well, on a somewhat brighter note, we almost reaching 100 pages I see, neato.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm tentatively excited for this even if the chances of Smash news are minuscule, if just because it means we may get an update on No More Heroes 3. That would be nice. I doubt they'll drop Travis in Smash, but I can dream. Otherwise, I'm hoping we get something on one of the big ones (Bayonetta 3 or Shin Megami Tensei V), and I'm predicting they'll give us a Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory date and maybe a Persona 5 Strikers release date or something. The rest will be indies and ports. I just hope we get something as cool as the Burnout Paradise port.

EDIT: Well, I didn't mean to post this in here! Haha. Uh, let's go...Layton HD ports on Switch??

Last edited:

Detectively

Smash Rookie
On the chance that Level 5 ports the prequels to mobile (and if we're lucky to the switch before the end of the console's life. Not like they havent done that before) I am curious to see how they are going to handle some of the smaller aspects- London Life, for example. Do we get the 365 puzzles again? More things to collect in Azran and Miracle Mask? Updated character models or extended cutscenes that were cut out in some versions?
There was also one puzzle I distinctly remember in MM that required turning your DS in various directions- that might not work well on a mobile phone.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
On the chance that Level 5 ports the prequels to mobile (and if we're lucky to the switch before the end of the console's life. Not like they havent done that before) I am curious to see how they are going to handle some of the smaller aspects- London Life, for example. Do we get the 365 puzzles again? More things to collect in Azran and Miracle Mask? Updated character models or extended cutscenes that were cut out in some versions?
There was also one puzzle I distinctly remember in MM that required turning your DS in various directions- that might not work well on a mobile phone.
Good questions, not sure what they would do with London Life, wasn't that game developed by Brownie Brown/1-Up Studio? I don't know wether or not Level-5 will be needing to get Nintendo's permission to port that game over to Android/IOS devices, it might need some controller updates too since it was full button control if I recall.

If they bring it over, hopefully it will finally receive a European release as well.

As for the 3DS Layton games, I guess we'd have to look at how LMJ was handled there, I don't know if the models were any higher poly than the 3DS version, but I suppose we can at least expect higher resolution textures and all.

As for that one puzzle, if I recall, you had to tilt your 3DS in order to make some blocks move right? If so, I can see them changing that by having you tap on some arrows to move the puzzle around and all.

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Yo fellow Gentlemen, post your rankings of the series, I wanna hear y'all opinions
https://tiermaker.com/create/professor-layton-titles-95598
profrank.png

Maybe it's because I've listened to The Main Theme so many times, but my opinion on DB has greatly improved these past few weeks after going back on forth over it, Eternal Diva and Curious Village. Honestly though I can divide the games in two sections the "Good" and the "not so Great." The more how much I realize I wouldn't want to play Azran Legacy the more I realized the further down it went.

amageish

Smash Master
I think most people will generally agree with your takes haha. I'd probably put all of the games in the S/A/B tiers myself though, as I don't think even the less-amazing ones are especially bad. I also have a soft spot for the Last Spectre. I don't know why, but I really liked seeing Layton/Emmy/Luke become a trio for the first time.

Also, yes, crossover is very worth playing. The story's climax is a bit drawn out (and also completely spoiled by the launch trailer, so don't watch that), but it's overall an impressive experience. Katrielle Layton vs Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney when

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Katrielle vs. Apollo needs to happen, I hope the crossover isn't a one-and-done thing as I really appreciated it and the franchises work really well together. And pitting the successors against each other is simply the logical way to go.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The original always kinda felt like it left things open for a more expanded upon crossover, more characters and locations from both sides showing up and all, but maybe that's just me...

Though I heard the current director of the Ace Attorney games apparently left Capcom, then again, it was the original director, Shu Takumi, that was involved with the Layton crossover I believe so things should be fine.

A dual reveal of Layton and Phoenix in Smash could work too I suppose.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm glad to find a thread where people agree the crossover is a blast. Would love a new one with Katrielle and Apollo/Trucy/Athena. Bring back Barnham!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm glad to find a thread where people agree the crossover is a blast. Would love a new one with Katrielle and Apollo/Trucy/Athena. Bring back Barnham!
personally i want everyone

but that might be unreasonable

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Yo fellow Gentlemen, post your rankings of the series, I wanna hear y'all opinions
https://tiermaker.com/create/professor-layton-titles-95598
View attachment 279993

Maybe it's because I've listened to The Main Theme so many times, but my opinion on DB has greatly improved these past few weeks after going back on forth over it, Eternal Diva and Curious Village. Honestly though I can divide the games in two sections the "Good" and the "not so Great." The more how much I realize I wouldn't want to play Azran Legacy the more I realized the further down it went.
I'd play PLvsAA for sure

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I am kind of surprised that the crossover's mechanics haven't become more common in games that borrow from AA's aesthetics/mechanics. Making the investigation portions into Layton puzzles is a very good way at keeping up the gameplay throughout and emphasizing the puzzle part of the puzzle-VN.

Granted, I guess Layton and Wright are really the only two high-budget games in the genre, with Ayumi stuck in Japan, Phantom R hanging out awkwardly to the side, and Makoto/Hajime/Kaede crying in a corner surrounded by pink blood. It's not really realistic to expect indie games to successfully recreate both Layton-esque and Wright-esque gameplay flawlessly.

Anyway, if they do do a second crossover, then I'd hope it'd have more supporting characters in it. I appreciated the creation of a wholly-unique world which fits the eccentricities of both franchises, but I'd have liked to see the side-characters of both franchises interact too in the original.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean, it's one of the games more transparently using the Layton style... But, yes, it's more standoutish due to the rhythm minigames instead of puzzles.
the layton style was pretty clear but the games werent great, too bad really

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Granted, I guess Layton and Wright are really the only two high-budget games in the genre, with Ayumi stuck in Japan, Phantom R hanging out awkwardly to the side, and Makoto/Hajime/Kaede crying in a corner surrounded by pink blood. It's not really realistic to expect indie games to successfully recreate both Layton-esque and Wright-esque gameplay flawlessly.
Meanwhile, everyone forgot that Lautrec existed, and he grumbles over it.

That being said, I thought that Murder By Numbers was pretty neat, for what it was.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I am kind of surprised that the crossover's mechanics haven't become more common in games that borrow from AA's aesthetics/mechanics. Making the investigation portions into Layton puzzles is a very good way at keeping up the gameplay throughout and emphasizing the puzzle part of the puzzle-VN.

Anyway, if they do do a second crossover, then I'd hope it'd have more supporting characters in it. I appreciated the creation of a wholly-unique world which fits the eccentricities of both franchises, but I'd have liked to see the side-characters of both franchises interact too in the original.
I think both series have borrowed some elements from each other as time went on, Spirit of Justice did have a puzzle or two to solve, with Apollo even proclaiming "Every puzzle has an answer!" and I think the Shu Takumi AA games did take some elements from the crossover for his games as well.

And Azran Legacy and especially Mystery Journey had these more episodic cases to solve, most likely inspired by the more episodic structure that the Ace Attorney series is known for.

Unless you mean if those mechanics haven't been borrowed in other game franchises? I'm not sure, there aren't that many adventure games that really survived beyond the DS era to begin with asides from the Ace Attorney and Layton series unfortunately, much like Miyamoto I believe stated a year or two ago.

Its nice that there is at least an attempt to revive the Famicom Detective Club series on Nintendo's part, hopefully it will make its way overseas...

Oh don't worry about him, the Layton fandom still makes sure to remind you of his existence to this day, likewise with May's Mysteries...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master

That being said, I thought that Murder By Numbers was pretty neat, for what it was.
Whoops haha. I know the game exists, but I don't know how it plays honestly. Is it purely a Layton-alike, or does it do its own thing?

I still need to play Murder By Numbers; I'll get on that one day...

I think both series have borrowed some elements from each other as time went on, Spirit of Justice did have a puzzle or two to solve, with Apollo even proclaiming "Every puzzle has an answer!" and I think the Shu Takumi AA games did take some elements from the crossover for his games as well.

And Azran Legacy and especially Mystery Journey had these more episodic cases to solve, most likely inspired by the more episodic structure that the Ace Attorney series is known for.

Unless you mean if those mechanics haven't been borrowed in other game franchises? I'm not sure, there aren't that many adventure games that really survived beyond the DS era to begin with asides from the Ace Attorney and Layton series unfortunately, much like Miyamoto I believe stated a year or two ago.

Its nice that there is at least an attempt to revive the Famicom Detective Club series on Nintendo's part, hopefully it will make its way overseas...
Oh, yes, they totally borrowed from one another quite a lot. I imagine Mystery Journey's more overt pun names are also based on the AA writing style (Seymour Frames is especially fantastic).

I did mean in other franchises. There are a lot of indie puzzle/adventure VNs, but I am slightly surprised I haven't seen a high-profile attempt to recreate the puzzle-investigations + AA-style courts from the crossover, as it's a very satisfying gameplay loop that nobody is really doing right now. I can imagine it'd be a lot of work to do though, as it requires being able to write two different types of mystery gameplay very well...

And, yes, hopefully Famicom Detective comes out worldwide...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh, yes, they totally borrowed from one another quite a lot. I imagine Mystery Journey's more overt pun names are also based on the AA writing style (Seymour Frames is especially fantastic).

I did mean in other franchises. There are a lot of indie puzzle/adventure VNs, but I am slightly surprised I haven't seen a high-profile attempt to recreate the puzzle-investigations + AA-style courts from the crossover, as it's a very satisfying gameplay loop that nobody is really doing right now. I can imagine it'd be a lot of work to do though, as it requires being able to write two different types of mystery gameplay very well...

And, yes, hopefully Famicom Detective comes out worldwide...
I don't know, I guess closest thing would probably be Layton Brothers if Level-5 where to ever expand on that game, perhaps a game where Alfendi and Katrielle investigate a case together, they'd probably be able to do a murder mystery with puzzle and investigation elements together I think...

whats that?
That one game that shamelessly ripped off the Layton series, especially Curious Village

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't know, I guess closest thing would probably be Layton Brothers if Level-5 where to ever expand on that game, perhaps a game where Alfendi and Katrielle investigate a case together, they'd probably be able to do a murder mystery with puzzle and investigation elements together I think...

That one game that shamelessly ripped off the Layton series, especially Curious Village
Yo instead of Luke they got Lukatello, totally different!

amageish

Smash Master
That would be interesting! I guess the anime does imply we're getting a Layton family game one day...

The most hilarious part is between this and the PC port, they couldn't make up their minds on what the subtitle should be.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ds/631677-mays-mystery-forbidden-memories/images
I know they're trying to recreate the Layton artstyle, but the beady eyes here just unnerve me and make me think of Coraline. Be careful what you wish for?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
geez, after a certain point they werent even trying to be original
I don't think they where, its a common thing in movies especially where you have these companies who try to cash in on whatever is popular at the time in order to make a quick buck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0WA1gB0X4k

I looked a bit more into the studio and publisher involved with May's Mysteries, apparently the dev's only worked on that game before dissapearing off the face of the Earth (Though apparently they have a mobile release for the game planned but who knows how long that has been there...), and the publisher was involved with a number of DS and Wii shovelware titles before also disappearing without a trace so yeah, that's more or less it. They saw an easy enough looking franchise to develop and make a quick buck off and then that was more or less the last we've seen of them..

Guess I'll give Konami credit for at least trying to do something a little interesting with Dr. Lautrec before abandoning that IP as well. Game has a surprising amount of content even if a bit repetitive so I suppose they figured that the game was probably going to only be a one time thing before putting it to bed as well...

One thing's for sure, if Layton makes it in, I can see the fandom having a bit of fun with him and Snake and/or the Belmonts...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't think they where, its a common thing in movies especially where you have these companies who try to cash in on whatever is popular at the time in order to make a quick buck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0WA1gB0X4k

I looked a bit more into the studio and publisher involved with May's Mysteries, apparently the dev's only worked on that game before dissapearing off the face of the earth (Though apparently they have a mobile release for the game planned but who knows how long that has been there...), and the publisher was involved with a number of DS and Wii shovelware titles before also dissepearing without a trace so yeah, that's more or less it. They saw an easy enough looking franchise to develop and make a quick buck off and then that was more or less the last we've seen of them..

Guess I'll give Konami credit for at least trying to do something a little interesting with Dr. Lautrec before abandoning that IP as well. Game has a surprising amount of content even if a bit repetitive so I suppose they figured that the game was probably going to only be a one time thing before putting it to bed as well...

One thing's for sure, if Layton makes it in, I can see the fandom having a bit of fun with him and Snake and/or the Belmonts...
none of those games did well did they? gamers are quick to dismiss things they see as rip offs, probably why yo-watch didnt do as well in the west, people perceived it as coping pokemon

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
none of those games did well did they? gamers are quick to dismiss things they see as rip offs, probably why yo-watch didnt do as well in the west, people perceived it as coping pokemon
Ehh I'll blame that one more onto news outlets and hyping the game up to be this "Pokemon Killer" which was probably what did the franchise in despite Nintendo's best efforts to promote it in the west and Level-5 never intending for it to compete with Pokemon in the first place...

Like, never hype up a franchise to be a "insert highly beloved franchise killer" you're basically dooming it before it can even start... :drsad:

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Ehh I'll blame that one more onto news outlets and hyping the game up to be this "Pokemon Killer" which was probably what did the franchise in despite Nintendo's best efforts to promote it in the west and Level-5 never intending for it to compete with Pokemon in the first
yep. yo-watch was always its own thing, just didn’t have layton’s luck I guess

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
One thing you can say about Lautrec is that it was stated to be openly inspired by Layton, according to its director Okamura. May's Mysteries, meanwhile, is more shameless in its imitation.

The fact that the former came out as well as it did shows how versatile the director has been, coming off of the first Zone of the Enders (which, incidentally also had some repetitive bits).

Ehh I'll blame that one more onto news outlets and hyping the game up to be this "Pokemon Killer" which was probably what did the franchise in despite Nintendo's best efforts to promote it in the west and Level-5 never intending for it to compete with Pokemon in the first place...

Like, never hype up a franchise to be a "insert highly beloved franchise killer" you're basically dooming it before it can even start... :drsad:
Pokémon was seen as running out of steam quality-wise at the time, so I somewhat understood the reasoning.

Although, yes, it is akin to trying to put out the sun with a water hose.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
One thing you can say about Lautrec is that it was stated to be openly inspired by Layton, according to its director Okamura. May's Mysteries, meanwhile, is more shameless in its imitation.

The fact that the former came out as well as it did shows how versatile the director has been, coming off of the first Zone of the Enders (which, incidentally also had some repetitive bits).

Pokémon was seen as running out of steam quality-wise at the time, so I somewhat understood the reasoning.

Although, yes, it is akin to trying to put out the sun with a water hose.
Yeah the game did have a surprising amount of love put into it, if I recall, there was a lot of voice acting work put into the game, the puzzles where mostly variations of a few types if I recall, but you spend most of the time fighting spirit monsters within these urns and sneaking past goons within mazes and all.

I think even Level-5 probably had a tongue in cheek fun with it by potentially basing those two Targent goons from Azran Legacy off the two goons from Lautrec.
I think Konami was even interested in a crossover with Lautrec and Layton if I recall but yeah, that more or less never came to pass, if Layton where to make it into Smash then he'd at least be able to interact with Snake and the Belmonts though.

not a fan of gen 7 i take it
Fans where getting a bit sour with Pokemon since gen 6 really, especially when Masuda made that one comment on kids not having the attention span for larger games anymore and always being on phones or something along those lines that made them cut the Battle Frontier from ORAS and all, although it wasn't as apparent until Sword and Shield, which was probably more the straw that finally broke the camel's back with a number of fans...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Fans where getting a bit sour with Pokemon since gen 6 really, especially when Masuda made that one comment on kids not having the attention span for larger games anymore and always being on phones or something along those lines that made them cut the Battle Frontier from ORAS and all, although it wasn't as apparent until Sword and Shield, which was probably more the straw that finally broke the camel's back with a number of fans...
the pokemon fandom has been showing its nastier side recently, although from what i can remember peoples problems with gen 7 was the lack of gyms (mine was the one character) and with gen 8 a lot of them seemed to feel a lot better when they got the actual games, although people still had their complaints but for the most part they seem to calm down with all the really bitter and nasty people sticking to twitter

Top Bottom