• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh so it's 100% fake then ? :/
Well to start, Blocked Content is kind of like LaxChris in that he pretty much covers almost any leaks that get posted in places like 4chan and whatnot, no matter how dubious they may be.

Not to mention that this is more or less another 4chan text leak which make their rounds there on a daily basis. Especially due to the anonymous nature of that site, so pretty much anyone can make a fake leak there. So its especially important to take them with a huge grain of salt.

More over the content itself doesn't sound too believable, like I said, I doubt we'll be seeing a new Mario Strikers this soon after Luigi's Mansion just came out (unless its being developed by a different dev team I guess). I'm kind of doubtful on the idea of a new Sin & Punishment too.

That's just me though, but as Professor Pumpkaboo said, take these kind of leaks with a truckload of salt...

Last edited:

Matthjass

Smash Cadet
NNID
MathsJass
3DS FC
0602-7469-3826
Switch FC
SW 8578 0545 0012
I see... Well at least Layton got in some leak, even if it's likely fake.

I looked at the comments of the video and people don't seem to enjoy the idea of Layton joining the roster, but I guess there will necessarily be detractors of DLC 5 no matter which character it is...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

I looked at the comments of the video and people don't seem to enjoy the idea of Layton joining the roster, but I guess there will necessarily be detractors of DLC 5 no matter which character it is...
Layton isn't part of the community echo chamber so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.
Kind of like Joker, Hero and Terry and whatnot also had to put up with this.

I don't know if its just me, but it seems like some folks also seem to be afraid that Layton would potentially hurt Phoenix's chances for making it in as he seems to be the current speculation favourite among some others.

I wish the Smash fanbase didn't have this us vs them mentality going on with certain characters but oh well....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Layton isn't part of the community echo chamber so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.
Kind of like Joker, Hero and Terry and whatnot.

I don't know if its just me, but it seems like some folks also seem to be afraid that Layton would potentially hurt Phoenix's chances for making it in as he seems to be the current speculation favourite among some others.

I wish the Smash fanbase didn't have this us vs them mentality going on with certain characters but oh well....
Yeah, the us vs them mentality truly sucks and is the biggest problem of the fandom right now.

I know this first hand as someone who wants Pauline and Saber in.

The Smash fandom sadly hates both of them.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
At the very least I’m just glad someone decided to make a “leak” with Layton in it.

“Leaks” often motivate people to start supporting a character, some might call them bandwagoners but some people don’t really consider the idea unless the character is thrown into the spotlight.

There were a few detractors, but do remember that a YouTube comment section of Smash speculator is not even a droplet of the wider community. Also I saw a quite a few say they’d love the idea but don’t want to get their hopes up.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah, the us vs them mentality truly sucks and is the biggest problem of the fandom right now.

I know this first hand as someone who wants Pauline and Saber in.

The Smash fandom sadly hates both of them.
Its part of why some people avoid engaging with the Smash community and rather support their favourites in silence unless some kind of credible sounding leak comes along that gives them the opportunity to raise their voices.

I guess in that case I might rather Layton just be revealed via a Direct without getting leaked prior. It will give people the opportunity to see his trailer and how he plays like without throwing toxic tantrums about how he will totally just be a British Marth clone...

I mean, he'd probably still get trashed on but at least they'd get a more informed viewpoint of how he'd actually work...

At the very least I’m just glad someone decided to make a “leak” with Layton in it.

“Leaks” often motivate people to start supporting a character, some might call them bandwagoners but some people don’t really consider the idea unless the character is thrown into the spotlight.

There were a few detractors, but do remember that a YouTube comment section of Smash speculator is not even a droplet of the wider community. Also I saw a quite a few say they’d love the idea but don’t want to get their hopes up.
Yeah rumours can help encourage people to become more vocal for their favourite characters, especially if they seem very realistic or come from sources with good track records. Or maybe even encourage newcomers to try out the given series to see what all the fuss is about or why said character seems to be interesting enough to become a potential Smash inclusion.

I'd imagine Layton would pretty much be received the same way as Isabelle was received during her reveal since he pretty much has the same kind of audience as she does.

The "hardcore" fanbase would probably complain about how this "filthy casual series" got a character in Smash while the "casual" fanbase would be hyped up for his inclusion, making fan art and whatnot to celebrate his inclusion.

It's just the nature of how things are I guess...
So yeah, don't feel too discouraged if some sour folks are raining on your parade, heck pretty much the entire fighters pass had to put up with this asides from :ultbanjokazooie:

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Oh so it's 100% fake then ? :/
It wont be 100% fake until next week, as that’s when it claims a direct will be, but it is literally just a text leak that Blocked Content reads. It has some stuff that has been rumoured in other places (ex/ new Fire Emblem remake), but a lot of it seems kind of wishlist-y (new Mario Strikers, Pikmin port + companion game, new Star Fox, etc.). I also kind of doubt Nintendo would do a Direct so close to Christmas, as I imagine most of their marketing attention is on selling things as last-minute gifts and/or for Boxing Day.

Blocked Content also explicitly states that Layton won’t happen because Phoenix Wright exists, Layton has never had a “big game,” and there is a lack of moveset potential for Layton, so... That too.

Edit: I casually missed the existence of an entire page of discussion when I posted this... Ignore me haha.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Blocked Content also explicitly states that Layton won’t happen because Phoenix Wright exists, Layton has never had a “big game,” and there is a lack of moveset potential for Layton, so... That too.
>Layton never had a big game.

Am I the only one who finds it sad how forgotten Lost Future is? that game was so highly beloved and praised when it first came out.
Curious Village was also such a huge hit that initial copies where sold out. I think it even won an award back in the day.
Miracle Mask was also the launch title for the 3DS in Japan that helped drive sales for that console when it first came out.

Also starting to get pretty tired of Phoenix blocking Layton support, and he's my second most wanted character...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
>Layton never had a big game.

Am I the only one who finds it sad how forgotten Lost Future is? that game was so highly beloved and praised when it first came out.
Curious Village was also such a huge hit that initial copies where sold out. I think it even won an award back in the day.
Miracle Mask was also the launch title for the 3DS in Japan that helped drive sales for that console when it first came out.
Yeah... As you said before, Layton's reputation being "for casuals" seems to make people forgot how large the franchise has been. It's rather frustrating... The Lost Future was borderline inescapable as a "DS masterpiece" upon launch, at least in the few Nintendo circles I spent my time in back then. I'm fairly certain it was a cover story on most, if not all, the Nintendo/gaming magazines I followed at the time.

Also starting to get pretty tired of Phoenix blocking Layton support, and he's my second most wanted character...
Yup. I get people not thinking a dual-reveal is practical, but I also don't think they're that much more at odds then any other set of two characters who have shared a genre. I don't recall many people arguing that Crash would never happen because Banjo is also a big platformer from the first generation of 3D platformers...

Also, I'll respond to this comment late:

I like how Sakurai has this reputation for constantly subverting expectations when it seems like people having an open mind would instantly make the number of plausible picks longer. Joker had someone come into his thread just to write paragraphs about how he is "impossible" literally the week before his reveal though, so I wouldn't feel too discouraged.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah... As you said before, Layton's reputation being "for casuals" seems to make people forgot how large the franchise has been. It's rather frustrating... The Lost Future was borderline inescapable as a "DS masterpiece" upon launch, at least in the few Nintendo circles I spent my time in back then. I'm fairly certain it was a cover story on most, if not all, the Nintendo/gaming magazines I followed at the time.

Yup. I get people not thinking a dual-reveal is practical, but I also don't think they're that much more at odds then any other set of two characters who have shared a genre. I don't recall many people arguing that Crash would never happen because Banjo is also a big platformer from the first generation of 3D platformers...

Also, I'll respond to this comment late:

I like how Sakurai has this reputation for constantly subverting expectations when it seems like people having an open mind would instantly make the number of plausible picks longer. Joker had someone come into his thread just to write paragraphs about how he is "impossible" literally the week before his reveal though, so I wouldn't feel too discouraged.
Curious Village and Lost Future's popularity was basically what got me and my sister to try the series out for the first time. They where definitely a huge deal, especially here in the UK.

I wonder if its just another aspect of the Layton series just not being as popular in the US as they where in Europe and Japan which may be why a lot of US folks not seeing the series as much of a big deal, that as well as its more "casual" nature. Its as Hino said, Level-5 games just tend to do a whole lot better in Europe and Japan than the US.

Yeah I suppose its more or less some Phoenix folks being worried that Layton's potential inclusion would somehow harm his chances in anyway, even though I doubt that Sakurai would view it that way. Like you said, if it did, then Banjo's inclusion would supposedly harm Crash Bandicoot's chances as they both are 90's 3D platformer mascots or Terry's inclusion hurting Heihachi's chances due to both being fighting game characters etc. In fact we already got two characters from JRPG's in a row :ultjoker::ulthero:with a third one supposedly being rumoured as well in KOS-MOS. If Sakurai wants both Phoenix and Layton, I'd have no doubt that he'll do what it takes to get them both included into the game.

Well yeah its as others said, the Smash fandom is kind of known to not play that many variety of games and having very narrow outlooks to which kinds of characters are plausible. After all, Pac-Man is a "literal who":ultpacman: It would help, a lot, if we expanded our horizons a bit since Sakurai certainly does....

Also repeat after me class: "just because you have to do some creative thinking doesn't mean a character has no moveset potential"
:ultfox::ultness::ultfalcon::ultzelda::ultsheik::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultolimar::ultrob::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultpiranha::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultmiifighters::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultduckhunt::ulthero:

everyone Shhhhhh!
They are speaking
Ohh that's very interesting, I wonder if the whole coal mine thing also kind of inspired a certain plotpoint in Pandora's Box?

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
In regards to Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton possibly impacting each other's chances, there is one frightening possibility, albeit one that isn't very likely: one of them gets in, and the other comes along as a Mii Fighter costume.

Granted, Mii Fighter costumes are usually relevant to the character they come with in some way. Joker came with Sonic costumes because both are owned by Sega, Hero came with costumes based entirely on Dragon Quest, Terry came with costumes based on fellow-fighting game characters Akira and Jacky... the only outlier is Banjo, who came with completely unrelated Mii Fighter costumes, and even then, it's easily explainable as Microsoft only allowing Banjo-Kazooie content, thus the absence of Master Chief and Steve costumes. Another thing to remember, the related costumes were also all returning costumes from Smash 4.

It's entirely possible that Layton gets in with a Phoenix Wright costume (or the other way around, Phoenix Wright with a Layton costume)... but the only connection between the two is one crossover game, and it would necessitate having to make a brand new costume from scratch. I doubt that one character will be made playable while the other is relegated to a new Mii Fighter costume solely for a crossover reference. More likely, one gets made playable, while the other is held back for later DLC.

amageish

Smash Master
Curious Village and Lost Future's popularity was basically what got me and my sister to try the series out for the first time. They where definitely a huge deal, especially here in the UK.

I wonder if its just another aspect of the Layton series just not being as popular in the US as they where in Europe and Japan which may be why a lot of US folks not seeing the series as much of a big deal, that as well as its more "casual" nature. Its as Hino said, Level-5 games just tend to do a whole lot better in Europe and Japan than the US.
I'm not in the UK, but they certainly were inescapable in my section of Canada as well. Even nowadays, I still have people comment on my Layton phone case, including some people who haven't played the games but just know the characters because he is, like, genuinely iconic.

Yeah I suppose its more or less some Phoenix folks being worried that Layton's potential inclusion would somehow harm his chances in anyway, even though I doubt that Sakurai would view it that way. Like you said, if it did, then Banjo's inclusion would supposedly harm Crash Bandicoot's chances as they both are 90's 3D platformer mascots or Terry's inclusion hurting Heihachi's chances due to both being fighting game characters etc. In fact we already got two characters from JRPG's in a row :ultjoker::ulthero:with a third one supposedly being rumoured as well in KOS-MOS. If Sakurai wants both Phoenix and Layton, I'd have no doubt that he'll do what it takes to get them both included into the game.
I was iffy on a dual-reveal for the past itself, but post-pass I think it's entirely plausible. It's just a matter if Sakurai/Nintendo want them at this time, as you say... Layton and Wright have quite a few things in common, but not more in common than a lot of other characters who are often speculated alongside each other have...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
In regards to Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton possibly impacting each other's chances, there is one frightening possibility, albeit one that isn't very likely: one of them gets in, and the other comes along as a Mii Fighter costume.

Granted, Mii Fighter costumes are usually relevant to the character they come with in some way. Joker came with Sonic costumes because both are owned by Sega, Hero came with costumes based entirely on Dragon Quest, Terry came with costumes based on fellow-fighting game characters Akira and Jacky... the only outlier is Banjo, who came with completely unrelated Mii Fighter costumes, and even then, it's easily explainable as Microsoft only allowing Banjo-Kazooie content, thus the absence of Master Chief and Steve costumes. Another thing to remember, the related costumes were also all returning costumes from Smash 4.

It's entirely possible that Layton gets in with a Phoenix Wright costume (or the other way around, Phoenix Wright with a Layton costume)... but the only connection between the two is one crossover game, and it would necessitate having to make a brand new costume from scratch. I doubt that one character will be made playable while the other is relegated to a new Mii Fighter costume solely for a crossover reference. More likely, one gets made playable, while the other is held back for later DLC.
Yeah that's more likely the case. Considering that Mii costumes tend to follow a certain theming and whatnot, I'd imagine that they'd be more likely to focus more on their respective franchises or companies properties and whatnot. Level-5 has things like Inazuma Eleven, Ni No Kuni, Snack World and maybe Yokai Watch (if they have no plans for Jibanyan later on) as well as other Layton characters like Luke and Katrielle they'd probably rather prioritize than a single crossover reference.

Likewise with Phoenix, Capcom probably still has a backlog of Capcom mii costumes from Smash 4 they'd probably rather want to resell again as well as bringing in some Ace Attorney series characters as well.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

If that scenario were to happen, I'd expect Layton to be the character and Phoenix to be the costume. I don't think they'd go to Level-5 and make a deal just for a Mii Costume.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Well Smashboards?

I could do with a nice cup of tea myself right now...
Personally I just finished reading the entirety of Bakuman, a nice little manga series about being a manga creator. Game-wise, a bit of Astral Chain and a bit of Death Stranding, though the holidays have caught up to me and I'll be panic-wrapping gifts and doing final shopping trips over the weekend.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well Smashboards?

Currently getting through my third playthrough of The Last of Us, along with Kirby: Star Allies. And I guess Cuphead, I've been slowly crawling through that with a buddy for a couple months (now we're stuck at that ****ing dragon).

And I'll second you on the tea part, I definitely miss my two daily cups right now.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The struggle with having your own place and moving away from parents is that you have to fend for yourself and make your own tea, and unfortunately I am so much worse at remembering to do that without my mother around.

Even worse is having a full time job...really think tea breaks should be a mandated thing.

amageish

Smash Master
Well Smashboards?

I'm getting towards the end of Pokemon Shield, while attempting to decide if I should do Astral Chain or AI: The Somnium Files next.

Also, seriously, the Layton Twitter account is feeling very social lately, eh?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Also, seriously, the Layton Twitter account is feeling very social lately, eh?
Yes and I love it!

I hope they continue tweeting and posting interesting trivias about the series. There is so much interesting new info about the series they have been sharing lately.

The Layton series (and Level-5) has been in such a snooze lately that this sort of stuff is very welcome imo. at least it helps keep the series in the public consciousness for now.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Well Smashboards?

For games I’ve been playing Layton mystery journey, Smash ultimate, and RimWorld. For books I’m currently reading Life in a Medieval Castle, which goes over the intricacies of noble life in the Middle Ages.

It’s quite nice that the Layton Twitter is so active lately, hopefully it means they might have something in store down the line...

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
Well Smashboards?

I don't do much reading, and since it's holiday season i have been to busy to start playing anything new, although i am hoping to start up Ocarina of Time 3D when i get the chance.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh looks like the Winter Wonderwear is here.

Don't exactly know when that was included as I didn't pay too much attention to that, but hey nice.

Also seems like this game features at least 64 outfits (at least so far) I don't know how many more we will be getting over time, but hopefully they will be including the other special outfits eventually like Flora, Adult Luke, Katie, the Snack World lass and whatnot.

Anyway, seems like Level-5 has been getting a bit busy with a few announcements the past couple days or so, I suppose its good that their still doing alright and all. Hopefully we'll finally be hearing more from them once Inazuma Eleven Ares finally comes out next year...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well Smashboards?

I did read a few comics and am planning to read those Metal Slug Ultimate History interviews, besides playing Psyvariar Delta, Donkey Kong Classics and my usual Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled playthroughs. Not really a fan of tea though, sorry. Biscuits are fine though.

It doesn't help that fans have this weird habit of expecting every pattern to "end with a bang" despite proof of the contrary. History doomed to repeat itself by those who don't study it.

This. It's not just in the Smash fanbase, the Nitro-Fueled fans currently tend to reject esoteric racer possibilities for upcoming GPs (possibly six GPs, if the roadmap patterns and datamines hold up) even though most of the major Crash characters have been added.

At this point fans are acting like really difficult kids that hate food they never tried before. We went from the Grinch to Green Eggs & Ham!

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
It doesn't help that fans have this weird habit of expecting every pattern to "end with a bang" despite proof of the contrary. History doomed to repeat itself by those who don't study it.
My favourite is the number of higher-profile Smash speculators who have been like "So, Smash has never ended with a bang before, so everyone should keep their expectations in check. With that out of the way, I think it will be Sora, Crash, or maybe, if they go for a more underwhelming choice, the Chosen Undead."

There will be a lot of salt to mine come next Direct, methinks.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think the Layton twitter went back to sleep for a while
Probably taking a break until new years eve I'd imagine.

People seem to enjoy their tweets recently so hopefully we'll hear more from them soon...

It's an inevitability. The only question is which little-known character will we get? Especially if it turns out not to be third-party.
Whoever it is, I'm sure they will garner some reaction one way or another...

I'm kind of hoping that they will reveal the first post pass fighter alongside fighter 5. I'd like to see where Smash is heading next.

Also Sakurai seems to be doing pic's of the day again on his Twitter page, remember those?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, it's been ages ago since we had those. The Phoenix fans are currently having a ball trying to spin them into somehow referencing AA.

I'm kind of hoping that they will reveal the first post pass fighter alongside fighter 5. I'd like to see where Smash is heading next.
That's pretty much a given. I'm kind of glad we got nothing at the Awards (Joker was a last-minute thing last year, apparently), otherwise there wouldn't be any room for that sort of thing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If it turns out to be someone like the protagonist of Astral Chain... Oh boy...
In fairness to that one, people are currently thinking "that game didn't have a spirits event despite being released, go figure". We're at the stage of every game character under the sun being scrutinized as likely.

The only thing we have to go on from is a recent comment Fatmanonice Fatmanonice did in relation to the contacts he's talked to, while we were talking about the likelihood of FP5 being someone that's either talked or not talked about:

5 will definitely surprise a lot of people. It'll be fun. People will be kicking themselves afterwards.
Basically, a "should have been obvious in hindsight" kind of situation is what we'll deal with within the next two months.

Last edited:
Top Bottom