• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Nope but they did publish their games outside of Japan in the past, similar to Marvelous and Daemon X Machina from what I've heard.
Their currently promoting Layton's Mystery Journey Deluxe as well
i guess it is possible then that come october we'll get spirits of cat, sherl and ernest

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
i guess it is possible then that come october we'll get spirits of cat, sherl and miles
Probably yeah, I suppose they could maybe even do like the Lets Go Pokemon games and Dragon Quest and gift a free Katrielle spirit to those who purchased Layton's Mystery Journey Deluxe, that would be interesting to see.

Imagine that...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm more puzzled about the fact that Three Houses still has yet to get anything despite being a higher-profile game than DXM, and it even took up a significant portion of the February direct alongside DQXI.

If it were an oversight, it'd be completely impossible to ignore without the execs getting annoyed...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm more puzzled about the fact that Three Houses still has yet to get anything despite being a higher-profile game than DXM, and it even took up a significant portion of the February direct alongside DQXI.

If it were an oversight, it'd be completely impossible to ignore without the execs getting annoyed...
The way spirits are distributed seems to be a tad odd as there is no real pattern to work with. On one hand you have ones like Link's Awakening that came along months in advance, whereas others either came out around when their games come out or even month's later.

So its hard to tell when we'd see spirits of games like Astral Chain, Three Houses and Pokemon Sword and Shield, assuming they don't get any playable characters...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

it does seem odd that theres no real pattern to the spirits but at the same time as far as three houses is concerned out of the 4 spirits we probably would have got theres one there i hope stays out of smash in all forms for good

sorry about that, every time 3 houses comes up my hatred for her boils up

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Seems like Marvelous managed to get some content into Smash Ultimate as well, I guess it remains to be seen if they will be getting an actual fighter as well at some point.

Things like this makes me feel pretty good about the chances of Nintendo collaborating with Level-5 with some content as well at some point (that they own).
I guess only time will tell but here's hoping...
Marvelous can join Koei Tecmo on team "We have non-playable content in Smash from one of our more niche games that Nintendo publishes for us while not having anything from our actual main franchises." Definitely a good sign for more third party collabs in the future.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Marvelous can join Koei Tecmo on team "We have non-playable content in Smash from one of our more niche games that Nintendo publishes for us while not having anything from our actual main franchises." Definitely a good sign for more third party collabs in the future.
For Marvelous, there are really only two choices: the "peaceful" Story of Seasons or them panty ninjas. I think there's no doubt in my mind which one they'd prioritise, especially since a certain other fighting crossover already has one of the girls in it...

Flyboy

Smash Hero
For Marvelous, there are really only two choices: the "peaceful" Story of Seasons or them panty ninjas. I think there's no doubt in my mind which one they'd prioritise, especially since a certain other fighting crossover already has one of the girls in it...
Marvelous is also publishing No More Heroes 3...

amageish

Smash Master
Terry getting in over the more modern faces of SNK makes me feel better about Farmer's chances. No shade to Senran Kagura, but it would require an impressive amount of censorship to meet an E-10 standard (which is happening in BBTAG, but sprites can allow for fabric to cover things up in a normal-ish way that would look weirder in 3D models).

Also, if anyone wants to join us on the Farmer thread, that would be cool and stuff...

Marvelous is also publishing No More Heroes 3...
True, but I don't think Travis would be considered a Marvelous representive any more then Layton would be a Nintendo one? They don't own the IP. I do think Travis has decent odds in his own right though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Terry getting in over the more modern faces of SNK makes me feel better about Farmer's chances. No shade to Senran Kagura, but it would require an impressive amount of censorship to meet an E-10 standard (which is happening in BBTAG, but sprites can allow for fabric to cover things up in a normal-ish way that would look weirder in 3D models).

Also, if anyone wants to join us on the Farmer thread, that would be cool and stuff....
I believe that this is where the "protag-first" pattern would be an advantage; Asuka is one of the more conservatively-clothed shinobi and would really just need a black hole under her skirt (or, more amusingly, just do what :ultisabelle: does), and the safer ninja arts can be used. And have a "pain is strength" mechanic like :ultlucario: without stripping at all.

I have no idea if Jack can even be reached, seeing how much of a legal mess SoS and Harvest Moon are in with Natsume and Marvelous butting heads.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
True, but I don't think Travis would be considered a Marvelous representive any more then Layton would be a Nintendo one? They don't own the IP. I do think Travis has decent odds in his own right though.
who owns the ip is a distinction that a lot of people dont take into consideration

amageish

Smash Master
I believe that this is where the "protag-first" pattern would be an advantage; Asuka is one of the more conservatively-clothed shinobi and would really just need a black hole under her skirt (or, more amusingly, just do what :ultisabelle: does), and the safer ninja arts can be used. And have a "pain is strength" mechanic like :ultlucario: without stripping at all.

I have no idea if Jack can even be reached, seeing how much of a legal mess SoS and Harvest Moon are in with Natsume and Marvelous butting heads.
True, assuming we think Asuka is still the protagonist. Yumi seems to be taking over to the point where she was first in BBTAG. I will say, I honestly don't know what Isabelle's skirt does, but I'll trust it is amusing somehow. A Lucario-like aura would be perfect.

Given how Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town is happening with no legal complications, the only problem they would have is if they wanted to call it Harvest Moon. Marvelous owns all the music, characters, story, code of the original games, etc.

who owns the ip is a distinction that a lot of people dont take into consideration
True. I still remember the weird amount of reports from Smashtubers who claimed that Joker was owned by Sony, which uh... No.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Eh yeah the Senran Kagura chick probably just needs a black void under her skirt and leave out the stripping part, if they want they can probably do battle damage where some small parts of her clothes gets torn a bit but only conservatively but I think that's it.

But yeah, I suppose it would also bode well for the farmer of Story of Seasons if Sakurai and Nintendo are collaborating with Marvelous for content.

Hopefully this means that Level-5 will get to have nice things too, pretty please....?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Speaking of RPG-like experiences, what do you think about the latest info on Little Town Hero?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ittle_town_hero_gets_treated_to_a_new_trailer

True, assuming we think Asuka is still the protagonist. Yumi seems to be taking over to the point where she was first in BBTAG. I will say, I honestly don't know what Isabelle's skirt does, but I'll trust it is amusing somehow. A Lucario-like aura would be perfect.

Given how Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town is happening with no legal complications, the only problem they would have is if they wanted to call it Harvest Moon. Marvelous owns all the music, characters, story, code of the original games, etc.
Basically, Isabelle covers it up when falling from a great height. And in any case, at least we recently got a remake of the first SK.

That aside, is Jack still used? Because I have no idea which of the two companies owns him anymore.

if they want they can probably do battle damage where some small parts of her clothes gets torn a bit but only conservatively but I think that's it.
Incidentally, I had just thought about that.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Speaking of RPG-like experiences, what do you think about the latest info on Little Town Hero?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/09/video_game_freaks_little_town_hero_gets_treated_to_a_new_trailer
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ittle_town_hero_gets_treated_to_a_new_trailer

It looks pretty and the music is sure to be good. I will get it if it goes on sale at some point, though it's not a launch pick-up for me.

Basically, Isabelle covers it up when falling from a great height. And in any case, at least we recently got a remake of the first SK.
Ahhhh, that would be pretty fun. I would be pretty happy if Asuka got in, even if my main experience of the franchise is via a weird cooking-themed spin-off. I'm hoping she gets into BBTAG first though, as the fact she was excluded was kind of ice cold (no Yumi reference intended)...

That aside, is Jack still used? Because I have no idea which of the two companies owns him anymore.
The protagonists change from installment to installment, but Jack is owned by Marvelous and is being used in the Friends of Mineral Town remake.100% of the Harvest Moon IP is owned by Marvelous with the only exceptions being the "Harvest Moon" name and any games made using it since the companies split.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

It looks pretty and the music is sure to be good. I will get it if it goes on sale at some point, though it's not a launch pick-up for me.

Ahhhh, that would be pretty fun. I would be pretty happy if Asuka got in, even if my main experience of the franchise is via a weird cooking-themed spin-off. I'm hoping she gets into BBTAG first though, as the fact she was excluded was kind of ice cold (no Yumi reference intended)...

The protagonists change from installment to installment, but Jack is owned by Marvelous and is being used in the Friends of Mineral Town remake.100% of the Harvest Moon IP is owned by Marvelous with the only exceptions being the "Harvest Moon" name and any games made using it since the companies split.
If they own everything but the name then it should be fine. Seeing a playable farmer would be interesting to see, plus it would also add a new world and genre into Smash which is always a fun thing to see.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
For some reason I used to assume Cooking Mama was owned by Marvelous or Majesco but no, she's apparently owned by Square Enix of all things.

I guess confusions between developers and publishers are indeed quite common in the gaming community. Its why Layton also used to be confused for a Nintendo franchise for a bit due to Nintendo publishing and promoting the series outside of Japan.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah that's another thing with publishers to keep in mind.
The fact Nintendo also puts third party series like Layton and Ace Attorney on their official websites and also calling them "Nintendo characters" probably also adds onto the confusions for these kind of franchises...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
If they own everything but the name then it should be fine. Seeing a playable farmer would be interesting to see, plus it would also add a new world and genre into Smash which is always a fun thing to see.
Yeah. It’s name also never changed in Japan, so it would only be something that confuses the English-speaking world...

Although the Gematsu article for the recent teases states something completely different, so I don't even know anymore.
Cooking Mama is an IP that seems to love lisencing itself out to everyone... It’s all owned by Cooking Mama LTD though, which is a fantastically straightforward name for a company. Imagine if Level-5 rebranded themselves “Those Layton and Yokai People.”

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah. It’s name also never changed in Japan, so it would only be something that confuses the English-speaking world...

Cooking Mama is an IP that seems to love lisencing itself out to everyone... It’s all owned by Cooking Mama LTD though, which is a fantastically straightforward name for a company. Imagine if Level-5 rebranded themselves “Those Layton and Yokai People.”
Oh I see, well considering the Smash community had their hands full with Fatal Fury and King of Fighters. Story of Seasons will probably be fine....
Kind of like an Earthbound/Mother type of thing, or Peach/Toadstool or Eggman/Robotnik type of thing if that makes any sense..

I see, guess that makes sense. I kind of feel like there is another company that does this sort of thing but yeah.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Yeah that's another thing with publishers to keep in mind.
The fact Nintendo also puts third party series like Layton and Ace Attorney on their official websites and also calling them "Nintendo characters" probably also adds onto the confusions for these kind of franchises...
I think this is what makes waiting to see if Layton makes it into smash so frustrating to me.

Like the Professor Layton series is synonymous with Nintendo, he may not be owned or developed by Nintendo but his series has been an important aspect of their portable consoles for over a decade. Nintendo themselves already puts Layton right next to their all-star characters, just put him in Smash already!

Everything I said could also be applied to Phoenix Wright as well.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As fun as that would be, it wouldn't speak well for the rest of the IPs they own. :4pacman:

Oh I see, well considering the Smash community had their hands full with Fatal Fury and King of Fighters. Story of Seasons will probably be fine....
Kind of like an Earthbound/Mother type of thing, or Peach/Toadstool or Eggman/Robotnik type of thing if that makes any sense..

I see, guess that makes sense. I kind of feel like there is another company that does this sort of thing but yeah.
Fatal Fury and King Of Fighters were always treated as separate things even in Japan though; besides KOF being the tournament that occurs in Fatal Fury, it later got a spin-off focusing on the tournament itself that lasts to this day. The difference is that Fatal Fury as a series got cancelled after Garou: Mark of the Wolves, the only time the Japanese series name got used (Garou Densetsu is the name FF is referred to in Japan anyways).

I think this is what makes waiting to see if Layton makes it into smash so frustrating to me.

Like the Professor Layton series is synonymous with Nintendo, he may not be owned or developed by Nintendo but his series has been an important aspect of their portable consoles for over a decade. Nintendo themselves already puts Layton right next to their all-star characters, just put him in Smash already!

Don't forget Shantae, too. Until HGH, that largely stuck to Nintendo hardware (and the occasional mobile phone trip, but that's not nearly as important).

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

It's kind of just jarring when Nintendo themselves treat these characters as if they are part of the family, even Miyamoto has talked highly of these franchises in the past but yet there isn't even a single trace of them to be found in Smash. I'm not even talking playable roles at that, no spirits or anything.

If by the end of Ultimate's DLC period there is still no sign of the prof anywhere whatsoever, that'd be kinda depressing to see...

Fatal Fury and King Of Fighters were always treated as separate things even in Japan though; besides KOF being the tournament that occurs in Fatal Fury, it later got a spin-off focusing on the tournament itself that lasts to this day. The difference is that Fatal Fury as a series got cancelled after Garou: Mark of the Wolves, the only time the Japanese series name got used (Garou Densetsu is the name FF is referred to in Japan anyways).
Yeah I know, I'm just talking in regards to some Smash fans and their unfamiliarity of most things with SNK back when Terry was revealed.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
It's definitely more in the Eggman/Robotnik camp, but I agree. It's always been known by Bokujō Monogatari in Japan, but because that doesn't translate as "Harvest Moon" (it literally would be "Ranch Story"), the localizers were able to run off with the original name after Marvelous decided to localize the games themselves. If Farmer were revealed and didn't leak, then I imagine a lot of western fans would be thinking "Wait... Why is this other farming simulator getting into Smash before Harvest Moon? And why does it look, sound, and act exactly like Harvest Moon?" lol.
As fun as that would be, it wouldn't speak well for the rest of the IPs they own. :4pacman:
Apologies to the Inazuma Eleven, Ni no Kuni, and Fantasy Life fans in the audience.

It's kind of just jarring when Nintendo themselves treat these characters as if they are part of the family, even Miyamoto has talked highly of these franchises in the past but yet there isn't even a single trace of them to be found in Smash. I'm not even talking playable roles at that, no spirits or anything.

If by the end of Ultimate's DLC period there is still no sign of the prof anywhere whatsoever, that'd be kinda depressing to see...
Unless they change up the DLC approach in some fundemental way for future DLC (ex/ we go all first-parties with upcoming Switch games or something), I would be genuinely shocked if we didn't get something Layton. It could just be a Mii Costume coming alongside Jibanyan, but I would be shocked if we didn't get something.

Yeah I know, I'm just talking in regards to some Smash fans and their unfamiliarity of most things with SNK back when Terry was revealed.
Yeah, I think you raise a good point. Though it does make me think: Statistically speaking, basically every Smash character is going to leak. The only ones who didn't leak this game were echo fighters and Joker. So, how do you think Layton would leak if he was announced? How would the pre-reveal leak speculation go?

Yes, I am proposing we speculate about possible future speculation

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It's definitely more in the Eggman/Robotnik camp, but I agree. It's always been known by Bokujō Monogatari in Japan, but because that doesn't translate as "Harvest Moon" (it literally would be "Ranch Story"), the localizers were able to run off with the original name after Marvelous decided to localize the games themselves. If Farmer were revealed and didn't leak, then I imagine a lot of western fans would be thinking "Wait... Why is this other farming simulator getting into Smash before Harvest Moon? And why does it look, sound, and act exactly like Harvest Moon?" lol.

Apologies to the Inazuma Eleven, Ni no Kuni, and Fantasy Life fans in the audience.

Unless they change up the DLC approach in some fundemental way for future DLC (ex/ we go all first-parties with upcoming Switch games or something), I would be genuinely shocked if we didn't get something Layton. It could just be a Mii Costume coming alongside Jibanyan, but I would be shocked if we didn't get something.

Yeah, I think you raise a good point. Though it does make me think: Statistically speaking, basically every Smash character is going to leak. The only ones who didn't leak this game were echo fighters and Joker. So, how do you think Layton would leak if he was announced? How would the pre-reveal leak speculation go?

Discussing the possibility of leaks for your favorite character is the most Smash thing ever, let's be real.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, this is getting silly at this point.

It's one thing to expect an outcome, let alone one that can be remotely expected to begin with (because Nintendo), but expecting the possible discussion of a possible outcome? I thought I was in the Smash fandom, not Inception's. I can't possibly imagine how that could go.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, this is getting silly at this point.

It's one thing to expect an outcome, let alone one that can be remotely expected to begin with (because Nintendo), but expecting the possible discussion of a possible outcome? I thought I was in the Smash fandom, not Inception's. I can't possibly imagine how that could go.
Personally, I think part of the fun of Smash speculation is it getting silly. Everything is in the hypothetical anyway, so going to the absurd is something I am willing to do haha. I get it's not everyone's cup of tea though.

I'm also not convinced that speculating on how fans would react to an announcement is actually that much weirder then speculating how fans would react to a leak in the Smash Bros community, being completely honest. As, like, leaks are how almost everyone has been "announced" for this game.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

I think as soon as they see the character, they will get the idea, plus Sakurai has been doing the whole explaining thing about the characters origins lately in his new DLC showcase video's so I'm sure he would clear up the whole deal between Harvest Moon and Story of Seasons

Also RIP Dark Cloud...

If we keep getting more new Japanese studio's involved then it probably wouldn't be as much of an "if" Level-5 would get any content, but "when" I think they will seeing how things are shaping up as time goes on.

In regards to leaks, at least for DLC, it seems to mainly happen at the last minute, like a week or two to a day or two beforehand. The only one we knew far in advance was Hero which is ironic considering Square's apparent history with dealing with leakers.

But yeah imagine if Nintendo dun goofed again and there was suddenly DLC copyright info for Level-5 or something....

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wasn't Dark Cloud one-shot like Rogue Galaxy anyway? Dark Chronicle is standalone and was only called Dark Cloud 2 in the West for marketing reasons.

Personally, I think part of the fun of Smash speculation is it getting silly. Everything is in the hypothetical anyway, so going to the absurd is something I am willing to do haha. I get it's not everyone's cup of tea though.

I'm also not convinced that speculating on how fans would react to an announcement is actually that much weirder then speculating how fans would react to a leak in the Smash Bros community, being completely honest. As, like, leaks are how almost everyone has been "announced" for this game.
Silliness is negatively associated with "X theory" memes like the box theory and, oh, why do I bother.

In regards to leaks, at least for DLC, it seems to mainly happen at the last minute, like a week or two to a day or two beforehand. The only one we knew far in advance was Hero which is ironic considering Square's apparent history with dealing with leakers.
Square's history mostly amounts to telling Hashimoto to shut up and stop tweeting.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

the leaks do kind of ruin the surprise factor i think B&K were the only ones i was genuinely surprised by due to expecting inklings and isabelle ad everyone else being leaked

well i dont think joker was leaked but i just rolled my eyes when i found out about him

Top Bottom