• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah that's unfortunately true, since we're apparently getting lots more characters though, I hope they will update Palutena's Guidance for all the DLC characters once its all said and done.

What do you think they would do for Layton's guidance in that case if he did make it in?
Probably having Luke ask Layton about the character in question. For those with puzzle games, Layton would wax on lyrical about the games or spin-offs in question.

For a palette swap battle, they'd wonder if they haven't been doing time travel again.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Probably having Luke ask Layton about the character in question. For those with puzzle games, Layton would wax on lyrical about the games or spin-offs in question.

For a palette swap battle, they'd wonder if they haven't been doing time travel again.
Oh no, I was referring to the Palutena one if they did decide to update the whole "Intruder from another dimension" thing once they wrap up DLC.

But that sounds interesting, perhaps Layton could probably also drop a small puzzle related to every character, and then maybe him or his sidekicks answer it afterwards when you reactivate the guidance.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh no, I was referring to the Palutena one if they did decide to update the whole "Intruder from another dimension" thing once they wrap up DLC.

But that sounds interesting, perhaps Layton could probably also drop a small puzzle related to every character, and then maybe him or his sidekicks answer it afterwards when you reactivate the guidance.
Ahh, I see now.

But nah, I doubt they'd go to the effort of doing that. The Kid Icarus VAs' contracts probably ran out by now...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah, I forgot about Palutena's Guidances no longer being updated. If that's the case I doubt they'd do anything for Layton (I'm still pissed they didn't spring to get David Hayter to do more Codecs).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That's a shame, would be nice if they did rehire the voice cast one last time, especially if they are planning to fill out all 16 dummy slots....

And its a shame about the codecs too, they feel more like a legacy thing now, especially since some of them still reference Brawl.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah that's unfortunately true, since we're apparently getting lots more characters though, I hope they will update Palutena's Guidance for all the DLC characters once its all said and done.

What do you think they would do for Layton's guidance in that case if he did make it in?
didnt you and i spend quite some time making some of those?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
(I'm still pissed they didn't spring to get David Hayter to do more Codecs).
That's a shame, would be nice if they did rehire the voice cast one last time, especially if they are planning to fill out all 16 dummy slots....

And its a shame about the codecs too, they feel more like a legacy thing now, especially since some of them still reference Brawl.
I still wonder why they even had him there. Just hang out to have some drinks for the party? I hope some parts of the staff didn't still think Colonel's Japanese VA was still alive.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I still wonder why they even had him there. Just hang out to have some drinks for the party? I hope some parts of the staff didn't still think Colonel's Japanese VA was still alive.
Allegedly they didn't do more Codecs because Campbell's seiyuu had passed, but that always struck me as odd, they could have just had Otakon and Mei-Ling, or added some other characters (like our very own Professor, Master Miller!)

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Since Layton's name is getting thrown around more in the speculation community, I've decided to make a few gifs of Layton's fighting ability as shown in his games, his movie, and the anime. (hopefully the gifs actually load, Smashboards is always so finicky with images.)

I focused on fights were he doesn't use swords to make sure people don't just misunderstand him as just a swordfighter. Hopefully y'all can use these to convince people that he would be a great fit for a platform fighter like Smash.
39zg4n.gif
39zghu.gif
39zgnf.gif
39zgtx.gif
39zh88.gif
CriminalFormalEasteuropeanshepherd-size_restricted.gif

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
didnt you and i spend quite some time making some of those?
Yeah we did quite a lot of these back in the old support thread didn't we? Good times.
But yeah, seems to be pretty unlikely to be happening anytime soon.

Since Layton's name is getting thrown around more in the speculation community, I've decided to make a few gifs of Layton's fighting ability as shown in his games, his movie, and the anime. (hopefully the gifs actually load, Smashboards is always so finicky with images.)

I focused on fights were he doesn't use swords to make sure people don't just misunderstand him as just a swordfighter. Hopefully y'all can use these to convince people that he would be a great fit for a platform fighter like Smash.
Those are great King Sonnn DeDeDoo, thank you! Perhaps you could maybe also add some more of the scenes where he has used some of the makeshift gadgets he's build in the past to show off more of his crafty side as well?

I should really update the OP to add more of your contributions guys, although the OP might be getting a tad too large for its own good, guess I should have probably added a second or third placeholder post back when I first created the thread...

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

The gif with the slot machine gun is my constant mood.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

this is why I love this character, hes a Badass with style

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah we did quite a lot of these back in the old support thread didn't we? Good times.
But yeah, seems to be pretty unlikely to be happening anytime soon.

Those are great King Sonnn DeDeDoo, thank you! Perhaps you could maybe also add some more of the scenes where he has used some of the makeshift gadgets he's build in the past to show off more of his crafty side as well.

I should really update the OP to add more of your contributions guys, although the OP might be getting a tad too large for its own good, guess I should have probably added a second or third placeholder post back when I first created the thread...
they were good fun to make

perhaps a mod can help make a placeholder for the op, might be possible based on how it works when you take over a thread

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
With Sakurai saying a lot about collaborations and cross-overs, here's hoping Sakurai will look at Level-5 for one of the next characters! Layton is clearly a recognizable character (at least in Europe), so it wouldn't be like the reception of Terry here. I am SO down for Layton as the next one in line!

(although I think if he's in, he probably won't be fighter #5, as I think that will be Doom Slayer).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
they were good fun to make

perhaps a mod can help make a placeholder for the op, might be possible based on how it works when you take over a thread
Perhaps, I'll see what I can do, if not then I'll link the post numbers throughout the thread I suppose.

With Sakurai saying a lot about collaborations and cross-overs, here's hoping Sakurai will look at Level-5 for one of the next characters! Layton is clearly a recognizable character (at least in Europe), so it wouldn't be like the reception of Terry here. I am SO down for Layton as the next one in line!

(although I think if he's in, he probably won't be fighter #5, as I think that will be Doom Slayer).
I really hope they do, I have a good feeling that they will, as Level-5, much like Atlus, has been a close partner with Nintendo throughout the handheld era's since the DS, so I do think that they will likely consider them for a spot, not to mention that Layton and Jibanyan where both pretty popular third party requests during the ballot period so they most likely are aware of the demand for a Level-5 character.

Yeah he'll most likely be better received than Terry at least, probably more like Joker if anything since he's at least been brought up a good number of times throughout both Smash 4 and Ultimate speculations. He's also shown to place decently well in a number of popularity polls from time to time.

I don't know myself if he would be fighter 5, but so long as we get him as soon as possible, that's good enough for me.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
For sure.

By the way, I've come across this nice artwork made by BromoJumbo and it includes the Prof!

I'm very happy to see him be included into some Smash fan art, by the way, if there are any Smash related Layton fan art/music or other content you guys wish to share, feel free to do so. Just be sure to credit and link back to the original artist if it isn't yours. As well as keep it clean.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
For sure.

By the way, I've come across this nice artwork made by BromoJumbo and it includes the Prof!

I'm very happy to see him be included into some Smash fan art, by the way, if there are any Smash related Layton fan art/music or other content you guys wish to share, feel free to do so. Just be sure to credit and link back to the original artist if it isn't yours. As well as keep it clean.
>Cooking Mama, Morrigan, Funky Kong, and even Viewtiful Joe
That person is cultured, I see.

Please let us know once the colored version is released, please.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
For sure.

neat mash up of characters, seeing layton next to knight from hollow knight is pretty surreal and is that one of the denpa men by billy hatcher? how rare to see one

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah its nice that the artist went for a mix between commonly and not so commonly discussed characters for their artwork. With surprises like Joker and Terry in the fray, its best to be prepared for any eventuality.

By the way, I kinda just realized, but Terry's series icon is a star, much like Kirby's series, I recall someone arguing that Joker having a top hat for a series icon would hinder Layton somehow or something but that's out of the window now, if it even meant much anyway...

This is too perfect of a symbol to not use after all.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
For sure.

What a great selection! Layton, Phoenix, Heihachi, even Cooking Mama. Fun!

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
For sure.

I love this picture even though some of these characters are for sure never getting in

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah its nice that the artist went for a mix between commonly and not so commonly discussed characters for their artwork. With surprises like Joker and Terry in the fray, its best to be prepared for any eventuality.

By the way, I kinda just realized, but Terry's series icon is a star, much like Kirby's series, I recall someone arguing that Joker having a top hat for a series icon would hinder Layton somehow or something but that's out of the window now, if it even meant much anyway...

This is too perfect of a symbol to not use after all.
of all the things ive seen suggested as a hindrance that has got to be one of the most grasping at straws

oh and on the subject of the picture, anyone know who those guys are left, of amigo, right of cooking mama, above sora and behind phoenix?

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I once saw someone use Kirby and Terry's star symbols as a soft disconfirmation for Travis Touchdown somehow, as if there's an arbitrary limit on star based symbols. I wouldn't be worried about a hat. Layton's is practically unmistakable for Persona's as is anyway.

I really don't think something as miniscule as a series symbol is ever gonna be a hurdle for anyone.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
of all the things ive seen suggested as a hindrance that has got to be one of the most grasping at straws

oh and on the subject of the picture, anyone know who those guys are left, of amigo, right of cooking mama, above sora and behind phoenix?
On the right of Cooking Mama you got Cuphead and I think Frisk.

No clue about the one left of Amigo.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
From what I can tell, in the picture are:
-Otis (Owlboy)
-Amigo (Samba de Amigo)
-Shantae
-Morrigan (Darkstalkers)
-Viewtiful Joe
-Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
-Professor Layton
-The Knight (Hollow Knight)
-Tracer (Overwatch)
-Prince of All Cosmos (Katamari Damacy)
-Funky Kong?
-Beat (Jet Set Radio)
-Billy Hatcher (Billy Hatcher & The Giant Egg)
-Geno (Super Mario RPG)
-Heihachi Mishima (Tekken)
-Doomguy (DOOM)
-Crash Bandicoot
-Cooking Mama
-Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby)
-Frisk (Undertale)
-Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
-Rayman
-Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)
-Hat Kid (A Hat In Time)
-AiAi (Super Monkey Ball)
-Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
-Spike (Ape Escape)
-Dante (Devil May Cry)
-Skull Kid (Zelda)

Pretty interesting selection! Some familiar faces and some really cool out-there picks. Big variety too.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
meant the latter but thanks. frisk is from undertale right?
Yup.
Yeah, especially considering how they're even lesser known than Hollow Knight.

The one in the middle is Doom Slayer, right? Hard to tell without color.
If it weren't for the fact that he's in a sort of berseker pose I'd lean more towards Master Chief but the angle his helmet's seen makes it hard to tell.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
From what I can tell, in the picture are:
-Otis (Owlboy)
-Amigo (Samba de Amigo)
-Shantae
-Morrigan (Darkstalkers)
-Viewtiful Joe
-Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
-Professor Layton
-The Knight (Hollow Knight)
-Tracer (Overwatch)
-Prince of All Cosmos (Katamari Damacy)
-Funky Kong?
-Beat (Jet Set Radio)
-Billy Hatcher (Billy Hatcher & The Giant Egg)
-Geno (Super Mario RPG)
-Heihachi Mishima (Tekken)
-Doomguy (DOOM)
-Crash Bandicoot
-Cooking Mama
-Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby)
-Frisk (Undertale)
-Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
-Rayman
-Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)
-Hat Kid (A Hat In Time)
-AiAi (Super Monkey Ball)
-Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
-Spike (Ape Escape)
-Dante (Devil May Cry)
-Skull Kid (Zelda)

Pretty interesting selection! Some familiar faces and some really cool out-there picks. Big variety too.
which is the one behind phoenix?

Ornl

Smash Ace
My observations was there would be 2 similar logos in the same pass ^^.
Joker didn'd need a top hat. The top hat used by Arsene isn't the same hat, because it is much more disproportionate. In Utlimate, Joker don't have a hat. If Layton was planned from the start in the past, why would Nintendo have given a top hat in the Joker logo in the same pass, top hat which is THE Layton main visual identity ? I think that a logo without a hat would have been enough. Thus, the hat symbol would have been exclusive for Hershel identity. That's just my opinion.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
My observations was there would be 2 similar logos in the same pass ^^.
Joker didn'd need a top hat. The top hat used by Arsene isn't the same hat, because it is much more disproportionate. In Utlimate, Joker don't have a hat. If Layton was planned from the start in the past, why would Nintendo have given a top hat in the Joker logo in the same pass, top hat which is THE Layton main visual identity ? I think that a logo without a hat would have been enough. Thus, the hat symbol would have been exclusive for Hershel identity. That's just my opinion.

I mean, if they wanted to, they could even do a "going full circle" type of thing, where they started the pass with a top hat symbol, and ended it with another franchise with a top hat symbol.
But either way, if it was just in relation to this pass then alright I suppose considering we have more DLC to go beyond this pass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom