• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
i suppose it may be a matter of opinion on whos a niche pick

would layton be niche pick? hmm id have said he was about middle ground as it were
I guess its really dependent on what the Smash community considers "niche" I guess.
Isabelle wasn't niche, but yet she still surprised a lot of Smash fans. She was more of a dark horse candidate more than anything. I suppose Layton would probably be a dark horse character too that would take a lot of people by surprise if he where to make it in, but his inclusion would probably make sense in retrospect to many people as well.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
i suppose it may be a matter of opinion on whos a niche pick

would layton be niche pick? hmm id have said he was about middle ground as it were
I guess its really dependent on what the Smash community considers "niche" I guess.
Isabelle wasn't niche, but yet she still surprised a lot of Smash fans. She was more of a dark horse candidate more than anything. I suppose Layton would probably be a dark horse character too that would take a lot of people by surprise if he where to make it in, but his inclusion would probably make sense in retrospect to many people as well.
Fans don't bring Layton up nearly as much as Geno and Isaac among others, so in their perspective it'd be a dark horse victory indeed.

Also, people brushed Isabelle off as "being a pacifist" despite AC fans showing proof that she could get angry if push comes to shove. Well, that and her breakout popularity within said series.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
really i thought everyone assumed isablle would be in? i know i did

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
really i thought everyone assumed isablle would be in? i know i did
I did to, but Smash fans were for some reason very skeptical of the idea, It really wasn't until Vergeben mentioned her that I saw general predictions change.

Honestly a lot of Smash speculators are blind to the possibility of characters they don't personally care for.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I did to, but Smash fans were for some reason very skeptical of the idea, It really wasn't until Vergeben mentioned her that I saw general predictions change.

Honestly a lot of Smash speculators are blind to the possibility of characters they don't personally care for.
thats true, i have come to accept that therell probably always be a character in smash who i rather wasnt (mostly cause it keeps happening)

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah as King Sonnn DeDeDoo said, Isabelle wasn't really taken seriously until Vergeben brought her up, mainly due to the whole "pacifist" thing. Even though the likes of Villager and Wii Fit Trainer demonstrated that that wasn't an issue (at least not anymore)

I remember when Layton used to get the whole pacifist argument thrown at him too. So I was happy when Villager and Wii Fit Trainer came along and threw that argument out of the window and with Isabelle in the game now, that argument is pretty much null and void at this point now.

It may have also been because Sakurai was addressing long time wants one after another with Ridley, Simon and K.Rool that some fans may have thought that Sakurai has left behind his rising star inclusions from Smash 4 and mainly focused on the characters that people have been asking for since the Brawl days, especially after the fighter ballot. Even though you can't really leave out Inklings and Isabelle in retrospect since they have become too much of a stars with modern Nintendo, to the point of even being included into Mario Kart 8 as well as various other titles, that you can't really leave them out of Smash at that point.

And yeah, the Smash community can be a tad ignorant at times when it comes to characters that are just highly popular in general outside of Smash circles, Rosalina is another example of a character that wasn't really taken as seriously before her inclusion (Until her inclusion in 3D World I suppose, though that was also shortly before her confirmation in Smash 4 if I recall) but still a highly popular Mario character in her own right. Though also because most people couldn't see her as anything more than a Peach clone at the time as well as prioritizing other Mario characters over her.

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Hey :)
First time being here I think
I've been a fan of the Layton series ever since I played the Diabolical Box, and have wanted Layton in Smash for as long as I can remember :)
This time for Smash Ultimate, I think it's gonna happen.
So back in May or something I made a whole potential moveset for Layton that I'm very proud of, and I'd like to get opinions on if it needs more or if there's too much, and of course Layton fans would know the most :D
I don't know if this was already posted here, but I'm doing it either way :
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19dso6fzSBB4b2DFQt_48BrYe6PkbVNHAXC53Z2aRmj0/edit?usp=sharing
(Have fun reading, it's long though ^^)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And yeah, the Smash community also tends to be a tad ignorant when it comes to characters that are just highly popular in general outside of Smash circles, Rosalina is another example of a character that wasn't really taken as seriously before her inclusion (Until her inclusion in 3D World I suppose, though that was also shortly before her confirmation in Smash 4 if I recall) but still a highly popular Mario character in her own right. Though also because most people couldn't see her as anything more than a Peach clone at the time as well as prioritizing other Mario characters over her.
And it's starting to happen again; I recently got brushed off on here when I assumed that Pauline would practically be a shoo-in for the next Smash, despite the fact that her popularity is clearly making a big breakout akin to Rosalina.

It's like they live in a bubble in which only obscure characters or their big picks can be accepted as viable choices. These people refuse to learn or remember a damn thing, it's insane. Apparently I didn't know that I'm supposed to be in a school of goldfish instead of a gamer fanbase! :EvilBub:

Sorry for venting, but it's a pity that people like me that are open to various possibilities are such a rare breed.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hey :)
First time being here I think
I've been a fan of the Layton series ever since I played the Diabolical Box, and have wanted Layton in Smash for as long as I can remember :)
This time for Smash Ultimate, I think it's gonna happen.
So back in May or something I made a whole potential moveset for Layton that I'm very proud of, and I'd like to get opinions on if it needs more or if there's too much, and of course Layton fans would know the most :D
I don't know if this was already posted here, but I'm doing it either way :
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19dso6fzSBB4b2DFQt_48BrYe6PkbVNHAXC53Z2aRmj0/edit?usp=sharing
(Have fun reading, it's long though ^^)
Hey its great to see a longtime fan joining in with the Layton support thread, I've added you to the supporters list, welcome on board!
I see you have put a lot of thought into your moveset for Layton. I like the stage idea too. Nicely done there.

And it's starting to happen again; I recently got brushed off on here when I assumed that Pauline would practically be a shoo-in for the next Smash, despite the fact that her popularity is clearly making a big breakout akin to Rosalina.

It's like they live in a bubble in which only obscure characters or their big picks can be accepted as viable choices. These people refuse to learn or remember a damn thing, it's insane. Apparently I didn't know that I'm supposed to be in a school of goldfish instead of a gamer fanbase! :EvilBub:

Sorry for venting, but it's a pity that people like me that are open to various possibilities are such a rare breed.
Yeah I've seen that around. Pauline (and DK Jr somewhat) always felt like characters I could see Sakurai including into Smash eventually, they kind of have that retro appeal similar to the likes of Duck Hunt an whatnot. With Super Mario Odyssey giving Pauline some newfound popularity as well. She appeared in as a playable character (for the first time I think) in Mario Tennis Aces I believe. If she keeps making regular appearances in future Mario Spin off's from here on out I can certainly see her making it into the next Smash, yes.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
And it's starting to happen again; I recently got brushed off on here when I assumed that Pauline would practically be a shoo-in for the next Smash.
Yeah I've seen that around. Pauline (and DK Jr somewhat) always felt like characters I could see Sakurai including into Smash eventually, they kind of have that retro appeal similar to the likes of Duck Hunt an whatnot. With Super Mario Odyssey giving Pauline some newfound popularity as well. She appeared in as a playable character (for the first time I think) in Mario Tennis Aces I believe. If she keeps making regular appearances in future Mario Spin off's from here on out I can certainly see her making it into the next Smash, yes.
you could have broken it to me a little gentler

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
you could have broken it to me a little gentler
Hang in there Toad friend.
We did get both Rosalina and Bowser jr last time so who knows what Sakurai (or whoever is at the helm of the next game) has in store for us next time...

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Hey its great to see a longtime fan joining in with the Layton support thread, I've added you to the supporters list, welcome on board!
I see you have put a lot of thought into your moveset for Layton. I like the stage idea too. Nicely done there.
Thank you very much :D
I'm hoping we'll all be celebrating his addition if he does get in :)
It would also be great to see new fans appear, much like what's happening with Dragon Quest currently ^^
The stage I made up could be much simpler, but given the love that Sakurai and his team are putting in developping each character and their stage perfectly is what drove me to make it like that :)
I've also been replaying through the entire series in order to get more details that I originally forgot, and it's been a blast :D[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Thank you very much :D
I'm hoping we'll all be celebrating his addition if he does get in
It would also be great to see new fans appear, much like what's happening with Dragon Quest currently ^^
The stage I made up could be much simpler, but given the love that Sakurai and his team are putting in developping each character and their stage perfectly is what drove me to make it like that
I've also been replaying through the entire series in order to get more details that I originally forgot, and it's been a blast :D
Here's hoping for the best indeed.
The series would certainly be beaming again with newfound interest, yes.
Who knows, maybe the reason Level-5 is rereleasing the older games in HD would be in preparation for potential new fans to try out the series once their exposed to the Prof through Smash. But that's just me thinking out loud.

Seeing how much love and care Sakurai has put for every third party so far does make me very interested to see what fanservicy stuff he would do for the Layton series. Even if it was just St.Mystere as a travelling stage much akin to Delfino Plaza, they could fill it up with all sorts of characters and easter eggs throughout the series history.

For example, you could have Katrielle investigating something near the manor, Alfendi and Lucy standing by the main plaza, Chelmey running after Don Paolo by the alleyway, Flora cheering on at the top of the tower, Aurora walking around by the ferris wheel, and the Airship Bostonius flying in the background etc.

Yeah I should replay the series too. Just recently purchased Curious Village and Pandora's Box HD for IOS so I'll be looking forward to go through those in HD. I'm also looking forward to finally try out Alfendi's game too. That will be a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
thats true i dont weve had a smash game with only one mario character
Yeah I think Brawl was the only game that had no new Mario characters at all (unless you count Wario and Diddy Kong I guess....)

Smash 64 had Mario and Luigi
Melee had Peach, Bowser and Dr Mario
Smash 4 had Rosalina and Bowser jr
Ultimate had Daisy and Piranha Plant

Mario gets around, but I wouldn't expect anything less from Nintendo's flagship franchise.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Alfendi and Lucy are lovely. I'm so glad they seem to be putting them in the main series now. I hope we get a sequel game to theirs - I loved the murder mystery aspect.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Edit: Nevermind, I forgot who said it first.

But yeah, looking forward to seeing Alfendi in the main series soon. Hopefully they'll bring back some other older characters too.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, with the disconnect there is between the hardcore and casual fanbases of Smash, and the idea of both simultaneously being catered to apparently being such a foreign concept to many of us, I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Layton's been treated as a character from the "casual era" for a while, since focus towards non-gamers was Nintendo's aim back in the DS days.

Hang in there Toad friend.
We did get both Rosalina and Bowser jr last time so who knows what Sakurai (or whoever is at the helm of the next game) has in store for us next time...
Besides, when you think about it, Pauline had it worse than Toad for the longest time. At least Toad gets regular appearances (even without a properly defined identity before Galaxy and Treasure Tracker happened), while nobody seemed to know what to do for Pauline without Miyamoto's guidance, after Peach became Mario's go-to damsel, so she only did very sporadic appearances for decades before Nintendo Software Technology brought her back and relegated her to the Mario Vs. DK series.

Also, it helps that Treasure Tracker survived the Great Wii U purge, so that more people get exposed to that game.

Yeah I think Brawl was the only game that had no new Mario characters at all (unless you count Wario and Diddy Kong I guess....)

Smash 64 had Mario and Luigi
Melee had Peach, Bowser and Dr Mario
Smash 4 had Rosalina and Bowser jr
Ultimate had Daisy and Piranha Plant

Mario gets around, but I wouldn't expect anything less from Nintendo's flagship franchise.
Yup. At least one new Mario-related character is generally a guarantee for the latest Smash, and we haven't run out of important ones yet (especially with Poochy and King Boo getting more prominence by the day).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You know, with the disconnect there is between the hardcore and casual fanbases of Smash, and the idea of both simultaneously being catered to apparently being such a foreign concept to many of us, I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Layton's been treated as a character from the "casual era" for a while, since focus towards non-gamers was Nintendo's aim back in the DS days.
I think you're more or less right on the money there. There does seem to be quite a disconnect between the casual and hardcore fans, and the characters that appeal to those two markets. Layton would probably appeal more to a casual audience, especially since his series was designed to expand upon the concept started by the Brain age series that Nintendo created but with a bit more depth given to it with a colourful cast of characters and captivating stories to tell. So it can be enjoyed by a wider audience. Which is probably why his support base is a lot more vocal on social media sites like Twitter and Tumblr over places like Smashboards and Gamefaqs etc

If Nintendo really is looking to expand onto wider audiences with this fighters pass as they claim. Then we probably will be getting a character that caters more to the casual or female type audience that series like Layton are famous with. But that remains to be seen I suppose.

Though considering how the DS was one of Nintendo's most successful consoles of all time. It is kind of sad to see it faring by with only Lucario as a playable character for the longest time now. So seeing another character from that era make it into Smash would be quite wonderful to see.

Besides, when you think about it, Pauline had it worse than Toad for the longest time. At least Toad gets regular appearances (even without a properly defined identity before Galaxy and Treasure Tracker happened), while nobody seemed to know what to do for Pauline without Miyamoto's guidance, after Peach became Mario's go-to damsel, so she only did very sporadic appearances for decades before Nintendo Software Technology brought her back and relegated her to the Mario Vs. DK series.

Also, it helps that Treasure Tracker survived the Great Wii U purge, so that more people get exposed to that game.

Yup. At least one new Mario-related character is generally a guarantee for the latest Smash, and we haven't run out of important ones yet (especially with Poochy and King Boo getting more prominence by the day).
Yeah Toad has quite a lot backing him, at least more so now with Captain Toad, especially if Nintendo is planning to continue to support him. Or at least keeping on giving him appearances in the mainline Mario games. I kinda like how they gave the little guy development ever since the first Mario Galaxy. The Mario series tend to be quite disconnected from each other as far as story goes (What little it has) so its nice to see how they gave Captain Toad a sort of ongoing arc of some sort going with him between Galaxy, 3D World and Odyssey. Hopefully they will continue that with future 3D Mario games.

But yeah Pauline did have the shorter end of the stick for a much longer time, so it was nice to see her making such a grand return in Odyssey, so hopefully they will expand more onto her character as well. Or at least make her a regular in the spin off's now, she was long overdue for that anyway.

Yeah I think Mario and Pokemon are more or less always a safe bet as far as new characters go. Besides Brawl, they always tend to get at least one or two new characters.

Edit: Oh this is apparently my 10,00th post, Thanks for notifying me smashboards...

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I hope the next Layton game kind of sorts things out in terms of his children and protégés, I'm glad to see that they might reintroduce Alfrendi into the story, I'm hoping they do something with Flora's character, but considering Level-5's track record with her I'm currently pessimistic.

Also yeah, in terms of first party characters, Toad/Captain Toad are my most wanted.
Oh this is apparently my 10,00th post, Thanks for notifying me smashboards...
Wow congratulations! I remember when your name was Kiwi-Kiwi, feels like the 5 years since Smash 4 speculation have gone by so quickly.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I hope the next Layton game kind of sorts things out in terms of his children and protégés, I'm glad to see that they might reintroduce Alfrendi into the story, I'm hoping they do something with Flora's character, but considering Level-5's track record with her I'm currently pessimistic.

Also yeah, in terms of first party characters, Toad/Captain Toad are my most wanted.

Wow congratulations! I remember when your name was Kiwi-Kiwi, feels like the 5 years since Smash 4 speculation have gone by so quickly.
Yeah I hope so too. At least they seem to be finally sorting out Alfendi now, which is nice. Hopefully they will do something interesting with his dynamic with Layton and Katrielle
Flora is probably a lost cause at this point knowing Level-5 and their history with her, she's practically the GS ball from the Pokemon anime at this point...

Yeah its been a long time now. Since 2012 at that, darn just a few more years and I would have been here for over a decade now...
But its been lots of fun speculating here so I'm happy to still be here.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I believe my first post on this site was actually me creating the first Professor Layton support thread back in the old Smash 4 character boards. I was quite nervous about how he would be received at the time, but I'm happy that the thread has grown since then and that I've met a lot of great folks along the way.
There where some ups and downs, but overall I had a lot of fun.

Here is to hoping that the Layton dream will come true one day.

Last edited:

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Are there any spoilers in this thread?
I'm playing through Curious Village right now, and I wanna contribute to the thread but I'm afraid of getting spoiled on past games :(
Pls Spoiler no Spolin', Spoiler no Spolin'

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I'm playing through Curious Village right now, and I wanna contribute to the thread but I'm afraid of getting spoiled on past games :(
Honestly, for the most part people mark spoilers behind the spoiler tab in this thread. I still need to play Azran Legacy and I haven’t been spoiled from this thread.

Either way, I’ll make sure to be triple careful not to let anything slip.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
There might be a spoiler or two slipped through in regards to the anime somewhere if I recall (Nothing major though and most of it are under spoiler tags). My Layton moveset might also sort of contain a few spoilers now that I'm thinking about it due to screenshots and all (I should probably add a warning there)
Perhaps it might be for the best to go through the series first just in case. The main stories aren't too long if you know what you're doing, especially the earlier ones, so you should be able to get through the main story modes at a fairly reasonable time.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, for the most part people mark spoilers behind the spoiler tab in this thread. I still need to play Azran Legacy and I haven’t been spoiled from this thread.

Either way, I’ll make sure to be triple careful not to let anything slip.
certain things about that game were spoiled for me in trailers

Azcorban

Smash Cadet
edited: - double post, sorry for my poor connection atm -

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I support Layton in Smash. Please add me to the list
Hey I've added you to the supporters list Azcorban, welcome on board!

By the way, I've come across something very interesting on Twitter.
Someone apparently went on datamining Layton's Mystery Journey. Its in Spanish though so we'll probably have to make do with google translate (unless any of you here know Spanish)
The user goes over a lot of unused, event based, Japan only and cut content in the game.
Now here is the interesting part. Apparently there are two cut character files (Think Forbidden Seven from Brawl) and they are files for Luke and Flora.
Luke makes sense as I believe Hino has stated before LMJ's initial release that Luke would appear in the game and be a bit of a guidance figure for Kat (I think), though when the game came out, he was nowhere to be found, which confused a lot of fans.

Flora is unironically a bit more of a surprise, especially as King Sonnn Dededoo said yesterday. Level-5 has had a very poor track record with that character in the past and more or less implying that they had abandoned her completely after the original trilogy. So its interesting to see that they did indeed planned to bring her back after all.

Luke's return is more or less a given, especially thanks to the anime, but hopefully this will mean that seeing Flora return to the series is a bit more likely now and that she will finally get her long overdue character development come Layton Switch. Guess only time will tell.

Last edited:

Azcorban

Smash Cadet
The user goes over a lot of unused, event based, Japan only and cut content in the game.
Now here is the interesting part. Apparently there are two cut character files (Think Forbidden Seven from Brawl) and they are files for Luke and Flora.
Luke makes sense as I believe Hino has stated before LMJ's initial release that Luke would appear in the game and be a bit of a guidance figure for Kat (I think), though when the game came out, he was nowhere to be found, which confused a lot of fans.

Flora is unironically a bit more of a surprise, especially as King Sonnn Dededoo said yesterday. Level-5 has had a very poor track record with that character in the past and more or less implying that they had abandoned her completely after the original trilogy. So its interesting to see that they did indeed planned to bring her back after all.

Luke's return is more or less a given, especially thanks to the anime, but hopefully this will mean that seeing Flora return to the series is a bit more likely now and that she will finally get her long overdue character development come Layton Switch. Guess only time will tell.
Would certainly be interesting if she returned. (I am no spanish speaker, so I only got to work with Google Translate lol)
Let's just hope that her data aren't dead files because of copying code from a past game (idk if Level 5 does that, I just know that other companies do. BETHESDA and their Dragon Code from Skyrim in Fallout...)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Would certainly be interesting if she returned. (I am no spanish speaker, so I only got to work with Google Translate lol)
Let's just hope that her data aren't dead files because of copying code from a past game (idk if Level 5 does that, I just know that other companies do. BETHESDA and their Dragon Code from Skyrim in Fallout...)
Apparently there are some files with past characters names placed somewhere else in the game's code like Emmy, Descole, Hershel and Luke etc though they don't seem to know what those where used for. It could be that those where the leftover files from Azran Legacy as those characters all appeared in that game.

I think the character files for Luke and Flora where brand new for this game though, especially since Flora didn't appear in Azran Legacy outside of a trophy cameo. And we know Luke was planned to appear thanks to a past interview with Hino.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hey I've added you to the supporters list Azcorban, welcome on board!

By the way, I've come across something very interesting on Twitter.
Someone apparently went on datamining Layton's Mystery Journey. Its in Spanish though so we'll probably have to make do with google translate (unless any of you here know Spanish)

I'm a Spanish speaker, gimme a moment and I'll translate.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Out for lunch, and it's a very long thread so it'll take longer than a minute, but this is what I've done so far.

As has been promised... So begins the thread of curious files from Layton's Mystery Journey!

First off, I want to clear up a few things. This game is harder to crack than the others, it uses proprietary formats created by Level-5, and there are still no tools to open many of them. So I'll do what I can with what I can access.

Specifically, the mobile version is less accessible, so I'll do a mix of the 3DS and mobile versions.

I'll start by commenting on a few things about the mobile version. A few days ago I put up a video that's found within the game, but I'll repost it for anyone who hasn't seen it. It's an animated scene that's unfinished in a couple of shots.

In the 3DS version the animated sequence has been replaced by this [a video of the word m022] so that can only be found in the mobile version. There are two scenes in a similar state on 3DS, so there were probably two other scenes like the previous that were wiped.

Still on the animated sequences, oh surprise, they're in 720p on mobile and 240p on 3DS (the latter can't be on any other format so it's ok).

Something else that caught my attention is that these videos have audio divided into two tracks, one for sound effects and music and a separate voice track. Come on, this is great material for fandubs.

I can't understand the reason for this. You see, I just found a file containing the names of many characters from the saga, but they're in Japanese even in the Western version.

It's located within a folder named Secret, which is were things from the extras section are usually stored. But there's a ton of names: Hershel, Emmy, Luke, Descole...

Top Bottom